Leveling is the worst it's been

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lostyus.4250

Lostyus.4250

My wife is the same level as My new character. She also made a new character after the patch. So No…I will Not have a constant level 80 companion.

Still it is an extra ‘sword’ to help kill things, not everyone plays with friends or will have met them yet.

Secondly, in the guild I am in…people help others all the time. it’s not Like they go." Oh is this a new Player? you don’t have a level 80 main??? off with you then."

Your objections do not match reality. It will be no harder for a new player to get into a Guild than for a veteran player. if your experience is different , maybe you Just hit up the wrong guilds?

lol! I didn’t say it would be harder to join a guild! Where did that come from?! Please show me where I said such a thing, thanks.

In DR I constantly see " levelling guild looking for players for fun, groups… and events… hit me up with a whisper."

Know what i have Never seen?

" Guild looking for players with ONLY level 80 mains..and veteran Players, if you are a new player, and Playing a main that is under level 80, you need not apply."

Again, I did not say anything like that, stop putting words into my mouth, and using this to create your argument while not addressing my points.

Of course this is now a cue for you to somehow invalidate my experience in GW2 because it doesn’t help your argument.

Wow really, WTF are you on about?! lol

Like you assumed My wife is playing a level 80? or that my guild will not accept new players…or help new players with content?

Yet again you are talking crap, I didn’t say anything about a guild not recruiting new/low lvl players, stop trolling and reply to my points raised. Your wife may not be a lvl 80, but she is an extra ‘sword’ as I’ve already said, but you will be using guild mates to… “do events too hard for me to do simply with the help of My wife”. So as I said, you will be using higher level players to help you get content that is too high a level for you to earn on your own. A lot of new players would not have access to that help. Also I don’t think that is what A-net had in mind when they placed these new traits.

Now please address my points and not try to sidetrack the discussion with points about things I have not said.

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

Prior to the patch, playing an elementalist, even in a starter area was an exercise in frustration: Attacks felt weak, and a level 20 ele could easily be one-shotted by a level 4 bandit if you didn’t see the attack coming.

Post patch, I rolled another elementalist to see if anything had change for what I had come to consider a completely useless class. It had: Attacks felt powerful, addiing stones to armour actually felt like it made a difference, and the staff, an incredibly weak weapon before now actually felt like it had a purpose.

My current ele is only level 12 and I have yet to venture beyond Queensdale but the difference pre- and post-patch is like night and day. Stranger still, I’m finding that I’m enjoying playing an elementalist again for the first time since launch.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Posted by: Hraefn.6240

Hraefn.6240

I’m a new player. My highest character is level 22 and I played casually once or twice a week with a friend for a few hours. We really liked the simple and straight forward design of the game where you can do what you want and where you want. Since our progress is slow anyway, getting something every level felt meaningful. We both have lost our motivation to play anymore because we not only lost our trait points but to require those options we are now forced to do 8 more levels without any traits and then we need to do specific content. Buying it is absolutely out of the questions. I have two gold now on my account and I need every single skill point to buy some skills in order to keep the gameplay fresh.

What were you thinking? I was kind of hesitant buying Guild Wars 2 but ended up liking it to some extend. That opinion has turned into the opposite and I kind of regret spending that money.

Lostyus.4250

I have to agree. I remember loving EverQuest. Anyone that hates ’ the grind" on Gw2…would literally fling EverQuest out the window. I think that there are some players that see play= grind. Unless what they are doing is " what I want to do."

Exactly, you got it! People are playing GW2 because it’s not some hardcore EverQuest; people have a job and a life and get a casual MMO to spend their evenings in a fun way doing what they like when they like without any subscription fee – and that’s what made the game popular. Introducing this change at this stage is wrong, because people who bought Game A now have to play Game B, or pay more money to convert to gold and unlock the ability to play their character.

Exactly.

I bought this game because as I was tiring of the grind in other mmo’s I seen a YouTube vid that was talking about the delights of a grindless GW2, that is what made me buy it straight away, that was the selling point to me and I was please when I found out it was grind-free and I could play how I wanted

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Why is everyone glossing over the fact leveling up means nothing in this anymore? Are you happy that the game has transitioned into this dull clicking game?

We’re not glossing over it. It’s no more a ‘dull click game’ than before.

4 levels have no purpose anymore. Anet have literally removed the purpose they had, thus reducing their worth.

I don’t agree here. To me they aren’t any more ‘worthless’ than when I was only getting 1 trait point per each of those levels and I was still waiting to to get the minor or major trait bonus. I still had to wait 5 levels to get Sharper Images unlocked, for example. It feels a little more rewarding to click once and get it, than go in and ‘add point’ every level. You’re still working toward the same goal, it’s just simplified (and a lot less clicks).

Trans Stones have been removed, so 2 Map Completions would net you a full gear appearance has now become 6 Map Completions which is also the same currency used when you are 80.

This is the only thing I can understand, to an extent. I think if they simply made it 2 charges per map completion, it’d balance out. Then you’d have 3 maps, instead of 2 and it works at all levels, not just 79 and under. Seems like a reasonable compromise.

You have to spend 40+ Gold, 80+ Skill Points just to have what would have costed 4 Gold.

You don’t have to spend though. Unless you choose to. Even then, a lot of people will only buy specific ones, they won’t buy them all.

There’s NO incentive. AT ALL. What does anyone get coming into this game, that someone on an 80 character doesn’t have? What justifies 10x the Gold required with an additional 80 traits? Is my experience anymore enjoyable that what they had? No because they spent 5 silver max just to respec whilst we have to spend 2 Gold and 2 Skill points to get a single trait.

If Anet seriously wanted to enforce grinding, fine. Enforce the Train even further by marking each champ in Queensdale globally 24/7 across every single character. It’s clearly what Anet want.

There is no more or less incentive now than there was before. I don’t understand how you think there is less. Nor do I see how you think they are forcing you to QD champ train, considering the raw coin from that was nerfed.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: JustARTificial.3175

JustARTificial.3175

Aside from the fact that we now get 5 trait points every 6 levels, when before we got 1 trait point / level.. having a net loss of 1 Point every 5 levels. I do Not see How this is so horrid as some claim.

Before I would level… 2 or 3 or 4 levels in a Given session, and forget to even apply the points, because… + 10 power or + 1 % condition duration, did not mean much.

so:

30 + 1 Trait point
31 + 1
32 + 1
33 + 1
34 + 1
35 + 1
36 + 1

is no worse than:

30 +1 new trait point = + 5 old.
36 +1 new trait point = + 5 old.

Wait I think My math is bad… that looks Like + 3 net gain on trait points. I Must be wrong. That would just make the levelling experience seem Like there is more of a feel of pregressing…. at least for me.

Maybe I am missing something. But at least in MY experience…. getting that trait point before meant almost nothing. Could it be this is Just an irrational fear of the nerf that is really not much of a nerf experience wise?

Edit:

I Know that many will say that before 30 there were 19 trait points that are now Lost.. but..My experience of Mobs is… we don’t need them, the game is absurdly easy even if you don’t spend a single trait point.

So ignoring that you would have had 2 complete trait lines, and could experiment with a build, you now have 4 utterly useless levels. What you just said was kitten (1 trait per level), is now even worse since you don’t get that 10 power every level, nor are you getting a trait every 5.

As suggested by someone else, if you never pay for the traits, all builds will end up 5/5/5/5/5 until they can actually earn a trait in that 50 or 60 zone. the experimentation with these new builds is staggering. You could go 5/5/5/5/5 or 5/5/5/5/5 or 5/5/5/5/5.

Whether it is easy or not, isn’t the issue. There is no indication of any power difference. A pre-patch Warrior at 40 could experiment with the GS/A+M build people used, they could see how beneficial that 3 seconds of weapon swapping is whilst having increased movement speed. A post-patch Warrior can’t even see that until 50-60.

Everything is staggered to this endgame Anet want you to get to, but have made an absolute chore to do so. I have 4 characters prior to this and never once complained about leveling them up. Deleted a mid-level Guardian for an Ele and can’t believe how dull it is leveling. Seeing the pop-up on screen infuriates me as nothing happens, I grow no stronger nor can I make an investment towards a build I want.

Nerelith.7360

My wife is the same level as My new character. She also made a new character after the patch. So No…I will Not have a constant level 80 companion.

Still it is an extra ‘sword’ to help kill things, not everyone plays with friends or will have met them yet.

Secondly, in the guild I am in…people help others all the time. it’s not Like they go." Oh is this a new Player? you don’t have a level 80 main??? off with you then."

Your objections do not match reality. It will be no harder for a new player to get into a Guild than for a veteran player. if your experience is different , maybe you Just hit up the wrong guilds?

lol! I didn’t say it would be harder to join a guild! Where did that come from?! Please show me where I said such a thing, thanks.

In DR I constantly see " levelling guild looking for players for fun, groups… and events… hit me up with a whisper."

Know what i have Never seen?

" Guild looking for players with ONLY level 80 mains..and veteran Players, if you are a new player, and Playing a main that is under level 80, you need not apply."

Again, I did not say anything like that, stop putting words into my mouth, and using this to create your argument while not addressing my points.

Of course this is now a cue for you to somehow invalidate my experience in GW2 because it doesn’t help your argument.

Wow really, WTF are you on about?! lol

Like you assumed My wife is playing a level 80? or that my guild will not accept new players…or help new players with content?

Yet again you are talking crap, I didn’t say anything about a guild not recruiting new/low lvl players, stop trolling and reply to my points raised. Your wife may not be a lvl 80, but she is an extra ‘sword’ as I’ve already said, but you will be using guild mates to… “do events too hard for me to do simply with the help of My wife”. So as I said, you will be using higher level players to help you get content that is too high a level for you to earn on your own. A lot of new players would not have access to that help. Also I don’t think that is what A-net had in mind when they placed these new traits.

Now please address my points and not try to sidetrack the discussion with points about things I have not said.

I only need to address one.

A lot of new players would not have access to that help.

This is an MMO, you seem to think that this is a single player game, where the game needs to be balanced around a single player, playing from level 1 to 80 alone, with no help from anyone , ever.

The fact is, the name of the game is Guild Wars 2. Assuming that someone at some point will get into a guild is not that far a stretch.

My experience in MMO’s is…I play alone, until content gets too hard for me to handle it alone, then I seek a guild.

Your argument seems to me to be.." Play alone til 80, if there is any content a solo player cannot handle at any point, even if common sense says they will have 1. found a few friends to pal around with, or 2. Joined a Guild the game must sill be balanced with the solo player in mind."

This is not a solo game. This is not a single player game. This is Guild Wars 2. So My argument is simple. If content ever gets too hard to handle alone…. make some friends, or…. join a Guild.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Posted by: shawn.1298

shawn.1298

And there are people thinking that leveling is the best its been.

And why? What makes the leveling better? Because its harder or more of a grind? I don’t find it more interesting, but a dull grind. Why do some think its better. Penance?

Nerelith.7360

And why? What makes the leveling better? Because its harder or more of a grind? I don’t find it more interesting, but a dull grind. Why do some think its better. Penance?

One example I saw a few Minutes ago.

I made a elementalist after the patch as I wanted to experience the new trait functions and I have to say that it really isn’t hard to level. Sure, it requires kiting and dodging, but that’s how this game works. I can’t really compare before and after the patch, but I can safely say that it really isn’t hard to level.

I am sure there are others. But chances are you will not read them, it’s a fact that the forums are disproportionately peopled by complainers that are not satisfied with the game at some point or other. The impression is, " the game really sucks Look at all the complainers." or…" everyone feels as I do, because Not many people are disagreeing with me."

Chances are…MOST of the people that feel like Marche are not On the forums posting, but on the game playing.

(edited by Nerelith.7360)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Chances are…MOST of the people that feel like Marche are not On the forums posting, but on the game playing.

I’d love to be playing right now, sadly I have to work. Bah.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: RollingBob.8502

RollingBob.8502

I’m curious, for those who are struggling mid-level, do you use the mouse to click on skills? Do you use the keys to turn?

I do not, I only use the mouse to turn, and only the keyboard to fire skills, so aside from WASD the only keyboard action is left hand skill firing (in combat). I have zero problems and find PvE to be better after patch, for both new and existing toons.

I ask this not to preach or to ridicule, just curious if the issue may be more to physical interface styles. Those having issues, you have my sympathies, sorry, don’t know what else to say.

Nerelith.7360

I’m curious, for those who are struggling mid-level, do you use the mouse to click on skills? Do you use the keys to turn?

I do not, I only use the mouse to turn, and only the keyboard to fire skills, so aside from WASD the only keyboard action is left hand skill firing (in combat). I have zero problems and find PvE to be better after patch, for both new and existing toons.

I ask this not to preach or to ridicule, just curious if the issue may be more to physical interface styles. Those having issues, you have my sympathies, sorry, don’t know what else to say.

I Know what you mean, I used to be a Point and click… keyboard turner, til I realized that it was a sub-optimal playstyle, then a friend hooked me up with a Razer Naga..Now it’s vroooom vroooooom……

Mouse to turn…. A and D scroll…. thumb button skill clicks…I really cannot go back to a regular mouse.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I am sure there are others. But chances are you will not read them, it’s a fact that the forums are disproportionately peopled by complainers that are not satisfied with the game at some point or other. The impression is, " the game really sucks Look at all the complainers." or…" everyone feels as I do, because Not many people are disagreeing with me."

I’ll just leave this quote here:

Players who are satisfied rarely post about how satisfied they are. Forums generally represent a vocal minority.

Actually…. that’s a myth.

The people who post on the forums are the most passionate about the game. Good companies understand how customer feedback works and pay attention. Bad companies believe the myth and wonder why their customer base is shrinking.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

If we forget how driving cars felt, maybe we may find riding horses is more fun?

They are infinitely more fun. More relaxing also.

when you want it, how you want it:) Not every day to job through rain, mud and melting snow in your business suit, right?;)

If I weren’t more concerned for the horse’s health and safety I would. Also I would never drive a car through horrid weather if I could avoid it, far to many idiot drivers.

I also hate suits period, so your analogy fails again.

If we forget how driving cars felt, maybe we may find riding horses is more fun?

A car may be an effective way to get from Point A to Point B, but not a fun way.

A horse gallops and canters, a horse will jump over obstacles, a horse will also be a second set of eyes alert for danger. A Horse is a companion…. a car is a tool.

High 5’s Celestina.

high fives back

(edited by Celestina.2894)

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

I’ll just leave this quote here:

Players who are satisfied rarely post about how satisfied they are. Forums generally represent a vocal minority.

Actually…. that’s a myth.

The people who post on the forums are the most passionate about the game. Good companies understand how customer feedback works and pay attention. Bad companies believe the myth and wonder why their customer base is shrinking.

Which is why Anet listened to the playerbase, added extra gear and then got raged upon.

O wai, players can’t suggest anything that can fail cause their ideas are some kind of a paradise in their imagination.

If you really believe that the forum reflects how many people are happy with the game then we gotta say that WoW should have been closed since release since Blizzard forums have simply been filled with people whining since release.

Nerelith.7360

A car may be an effective way to get from Point A to Point B, but not a fun way.

A horse gallops and canters, a horse will jump over obstacles, a horse will also be a second set of eyes alert for danger. A Horse is a companion…. a car is a tool.

High 5’s Celestina.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

For the guy who suggested WvW, go… give it a shot on an underlevel. My 59 war is going to half health on SENTRIES with full defense vs guards, full rares, full bloodlust stack and food. This was not the case prior.

WvW is not the place you wanna be, unless the other side is gonna pay you to give them rallies.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Lostyus.4250

I only need to address one.

No, you need to address my other valid points. You are using this one because you are trying to make an argument out of it to sidestep my points which it seems, you cannot answer.

Lostyus: A lot of new players would not have access to that help.

This is an MMO, you seem to think that this is a single player game, where the game needs to be balanced around a single player, playing from level 1 to 80 alone, with no help from anyone , ever.

Again, where did I say this? Where did I imply it? Please don’t assume you know what I am thinking (and then from that build a argument based on nothing to sidestep my points).

The fact is, the name of the game is Guild Wars 2.

I haven’t been playing as long as you but even I know that the name comes from the games lore and not from having guilds in the game.

Assuming that someone at some point will get into a guild is not that far a stretch.

My experience in MMO’s is…I play alone, until content gets too hard for me to handle it alone, then I seek a guild.

Your argument seems to me to be.." Play alone til 80,…

Wow, again where are you getting this from? Can you show me where I have said or implied as much?

…if there is any content a solo player cannot handle at any point, even if common sense says they will have 1. found a few friends to pal around with, or 2. Joined a Guild the game must sill be balanced with the solo player in mind."

This is not a solo game. This is not a single player game. This is Guild Wars 2. So My argument is simple. If content ever gets too hard to handle alone…. make some friends, or…. join a Guild.

I never said it was solo, so please don’t try to deflect the discussion between us. A new player will be playing and their first priority will not be to join a guild. These traits were available before the patch without the help of other players, now most are not, (as you seem to know as you will now be using guildies to “do events too hard for me to do simply with the help of My wife”). This game is friendly to both single players and group play. Hearts are solo-able so that can encourage solo play, then there is events which some lean more towards group play.

Anyway, now that we have gotten your faux argument out of the way could you please answer the points I first made. Please stop putting words in my mouth, making assumptions about what I’m thinking and stick to the points I’ve made if you wish to reply.

Your replies are really starting to look troll-ish, (and maybe to other people reading too) I’m not calling you a troll but you have not answered one of my points, all you have done is make assumptions about things I haven’t said or even implied and then try to lead the discussion into that direction.

Lishtenbird.2814

Which is why Anet listened to the playerbase, added extra gear and then got raged upon.

Yeah, it’s outrageous to completely block all character builds behi… Oh wait, I love it because those +4.7% are optional while giving a sense of progression.

I’ve got enough of unreliable annoying “companions” in real life. I want a reliable tool which entertains me in exchange for money, and not decides to disallow me to use a part of it unless I buy it more hay, or leaves me without race rewards because doctors gave it something bad (when others asked them to be careful) and then left on their spring holidays.

Posted by: siralius.9517

siralius.9517

Gj, anet.

Say no to welfare 80s.

They didn’t go far enough with making players earn their toon, as far as I’m concerned. Unlockable traits is a step in the right direction.

I’m just going with the flow.
Let’s make it “Casual Friday” errday.

Lishtenbird.2814

Say no to welfare 80s.

They didn’t go far enough with making players earn their toon, as far as I’m concerned.

Wait, GW2 was a job? Skritt, I thought it was a game…

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

Nothing will change unless a dramatic portion of the player base leaves, or lots of negative news about the game shows up in regular gaming forums.

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

OP, all that text for nothing.

They weakened the mobs to compensate. You are massively over-reacting.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

the trait system is not made for the current game because gw2 is a aged game 90%+ of the game population is 80 already so they have several ways to get their alt to 80 fast with help of their main.and this game still has new comers but their number is not big enough to make anet reconsider.
but the question is why change to trait system now after almost 20 months?
because of the expansion:)
remember all of us are going to be low levels again when expansion hits and they want us to go through expansion content by unlocking traits rather than rushing through content to reach level cap again.
that is why many people are for it. it actually make leveling fun when you play an expansion it is patch preparing you for the future.

Lots of wishful thinking and conjecture in that fantasy prediction….

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: siralius.9517

siralius.9517

Say no to welfare 80s.

They didn’t go far enough with making players earn their toon, as far as I’m concerned.

Yes, even games must contain a degree of challenge. However, instead of a paycheck, you get to wear a smile on your face and be consumed by a warm fuzzy feeling all over.

I’m just going with the flow.
Let’s make it “Casual Friday” errday.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I think the OP has probably some point though. Buying all the traits seems like a hassle. ANd levelling doesn’t really seem to do more than add a level and some stats and a skillpoint.

Not regarding the balance of it all, or whether it’s harder or easier. It just feels more pointless I wager.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Verene.1480

Verene.1480

I made a new character (a thief) on Tuesday after the patch. I’m not finding leveling any harder than before…it’s just annoying how weak I feel not having traits like I’m used to.

Traits though. The new trait unlock system is a mess, or at the very least the adept traits are. Master and grandmaster are for the most part okay, but adept ones are all out of whack. I also greatly dislike how you can’t even look at the trait panel until level 30 now (so no planning out what you might need to do to unlock things), or the fact that your chances of having any adept traits unlocked at level 36 are very, very slim. I’m of the opinion that adepts should be unlockable between 20-40 so by the time you do have the points to spend on them you already have a variety available to pick from, so that you can actually, you know, start experimenting around and coming up with things you like. I also think that 30 is way too late to start getting traits, and that if it had to be adjusted at all, it should have been to level 20, at the highest.

The new system was something that had a lot of potential but it feels like the ball was really dropped and the adept unlocks in general were just dartboarded. It’s something that’ll be annoying to those of us who’ve been playing the game for a long time and know it well, but it’s something I also see potentially putting off new players and causing real harm to the game itself.

I’ve actually written about it in detail:
http://thepaletree.net/2014/04/18/trait-disappointment/
http://thepaletree.net/2014/04/19/trait-disappointment-a-followup/ (has the requirements for every single trait unlock, level of the content, and links to all of the content on wiki. This took hours >.>)

Leader of I Can Outtweet a Centaur! [TWIT] | Owner of Under the Pale Tree
twitguild.enjin.com | thepaletree.net
Twitter: @LadyVerene | @TWITGuild | @ThePaleTree

Posted by: Pawstruck.9708

Pawstruck.9708

Elementalists are notoriously annoying to level. I barely got mine to 90 without giving up.

Anyway, I have to say I disagree. Difficulty does not equal poor design. If you want to mow over mobs like a demi-god for 40 hours, play World of Warcraft. I, for one, find that to make the leveling experience boring and unbearable.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Elementalists are notoriously annoying to level. I barely got mine to 90 without giving up.

Anyway, I have to say I disagree. Difficulty does not equal poor design. If you want to mow over mobs like a demi-god for 40 hours, play World of Warcraft. I, for one, find that to make the leveling experience boring and unbearable.

I gave up at 80, gj on getting all the way to 90.

Lishtenbird.2814

Say no to welfare 80s.

Yes, even games must contain a degree of challenge. However, instead of a paycheck, you get to wear a smile on your face and be consumed by a warm fuzzy feeling all over.

When I finished crafting full ascended, I got a smile and a warm fuzzy feeling.

When I forged my last illusionary weapons and completed the look, I got a smile and a warm fuzzy feeling.

When I dragged my alt ele to level 80, I got a sigh of relief and a “Finally!” exclamation.

So, there are things I enjoy “grinding” for and things I don’t; crafting to 20 with boosters, 60 tomes of knowledge, 260 skill points and extra 26 gold for core and even not all traits are definitely among the latter.

Posted by: Airala.8629

Airala.8629

I’m not sure if anyone has suggested this or not, but my advice to those trying to level is to try out Edge of the Mists (open the WvW pane, and EotM is on the right). PLEASE hear me out before you decide EotM isn’t for you…

I’m a PvE gal. I don’t like PvP, and WvW gets a little too intense for me (commanders yelling “STACK STACK STACK” on TS, etc. LOL). I also find WvW confusing because people seem to use a lot of shorthand to give instructions, directions, all that sort of thing and so I end up feeling frustrated and lost.

I thought EotM was more of the same, or some weird glorified PvP. I definitely KNEW it wasn’t for me.

I have 9 toons, 2 of which were 80s, 7 of which were 20s thanks to tomes and/or crafting. I really wanted those leveled before the patch, so I spent a huge amount of time (and gold) leveling them… and then realizing that they all stalled out around 70 with no more crafting left to do besides Ascended, which I couldn’t afford.

Then my bestie talked me into trying EotM with her. I…was…hooked.

It’s a massive zerg fest. You map in, look for the Commander tag (looks like a little blue Dorito LOL) and run to the zerg. Or if you stand around near where you enter, the zerg will eventually come back to the waypoint and you can join it then. Just take whatever ranged weapon your toon can use and do something for a speed boost – look on the Wiki to find out what traits or unique skills or even weapon skill will get you going a bit faster… but for the most part, so long as you’re sticking near the main mob, people are casting speed boosts non-stop.

With very few exceptions (zergs that are after “bags” – meaning, they’re specifically seeking out enemy players to kill because they drop loot bags), the combat is entirely against NPCs, which the zergs EASILY take down. By using ranged, you keep out of most of the mess, and you really only need to get a few hits in to get credit for the Event (they’re ALL events) and thus a few thousand XP each time.

I took every one of my 70’ish toons up to 80 with just a few hours in EotM… and made a fat profit off the deal as well, which I really needed since I’d spent so much on crafting. LOL I’m getting tons of materials, and a lot of rares (for ectos). I’ve even gotten a few Exotics, which are now going towards gearing up all my shiny new 80s.

The only profession that didn’t get leveled this way was ele, because that’s my main and I only had one of those. I have two mesmers, but one of them was my other 80.

You aren’t going to do a lot of damage/see big numbers BUT YOU DON’T HAVE TO. You just have to tag the NPCs with a few hits to get full credit for the event… set your #1 skill to auto-cast and you’re golden.

Use whatever boosts to XP & Karma you might have. You’re also going to be earning achievements and WvW ranks, which award Tomes of Knowledge here and there… nice to use for those last few levels.

And if you’re confused by anything, just ask in Map/Say/Team chat. Someone will tell you what you need to know. The people are usually quite helpful!

If you map in and don’t see a Commander (blue Dorito) showing up on the map, leave the EotM and try coming back. There are several overflows, and a few times going in and out should eventually get you on a map with a Commander.

shawn.1298

I made a elementalist after the patch as I wanted to experience the new trait functions and I have to say that it really isn’t hard to level. Sure, it requires kiting and dodging, but that’s how this game works. I can’t really compare before and after the patch, but I can safely say that it really isn’t hard to level.

So the reasons you can give for the claim leveling is better is that it requires “kiting and dodging” and that it “isn’t hard to level.” Those are odd reasons. Then you go into characterizing people who disagree with you., your goto logical fallacy. We’ll just skip over that part.

No its not hard to level. Its DULL to level. The gradual increases in attributes have been removed and bundled up in big steps. It removes hybrids. Its more of a carnival ride than a hands on task. Its a DULL grind from one big step to the next.

As someone else posted in a quote, good game companies know which feed back to give credence to. Bad companies don’t and fold.

I just wonder if saying the leveling is better because it requires “kiting and dodging” or that “leveling isn’t hard” (LTP?) is good feedback.

Posted by: TheJokester.4672

TheJokester.4672

I have found the new leveling system to be far more of a grind imo you say every what 6 levels or whatever that trait point is worth 5 old yes it is. but you get those first trait points at lvl 11 i think so by 30 you have what 20 points? thats 2 maxed traits for your current level as you dont get master until 40 and grand master until 60 so by 36 you has 26 trait points thats 2 major traits and +200 in those respective stat bonuses and another minor + 10 in another stat bonus with the +50 from that minor and whatever it offered or maybe you went 6 in that tree and get + 60 by 36 where at 36 with current system you’ll have a + 100 stat bonus…. Period I’d take my +260 total stat bonus over 100 anyday because I also have 3 traits more and at least 1 major trait more

(edited by TheJokester.4672)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I didn’t like leveling to begin with. It’s an archaic concept that has no place in a game like this. It works in games where vertical progression is part of the game itself in Diablo, and you’re looking for a far off goal to finally max out your character. But it’s becoming more and more clear this game is balanced around max level activities, so what’s the point?

Now I just see more restrictions and busy work, honestly.

It would be totally different if we had access to all the original traits, and you had to work hard to unlock brand new traits like what happened with the new GM traits. Instead, your character is crippled unless you pay a lot more than you had to.

I’m really glad that I got my engineer to 80 before the patch hit. I mean really, I’d have to wait until like level 40 just to get speedy kits?

It would be so much better if you had a host of adept/master/gm traits to start with and then be able to unlock even more ones.

I have a thief at level 23 that I may eventually get to 80. But since I need to purchase a character slot to start a new character, chances this will be the last time I make any more in a long while

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

shawn.1298

Leveling isn’t hard, its DULL. Leveling has never been hard in this game. I leveled from 79-80 with my human ranger in Metrica Province. One could go from 1- 80 in Queensdale or any starting zone. So the fact that leveling isn’t hard is nothing new. The fact that leveling is dull is something new and it came with this feature pack.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

sPvP throws Tomes of Knowledge at you like Olive Oil throwing dishes at Bluto. Seems like a pretty good time to level to me. =P

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

O wai, players can’t suggest anything that can fail cause their ideas are some kind of a paradise in their imagination.

If you really believe that the forum reflects how many people are happy with the game then we gotta say that WoW should have been closed since release since Blizzard forums have simply been filled with people whining since release.

False. What the playerbase asked for was an endgame not more vertical progression, thus the rage.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

(edited by Erick Alastor.3917)

Posted by: DavidH.7380

DavidH.7380

It is rather depressing to read this thread and see how little fun some new players say they are having with their first characters. If there is an entire new world to explore, a half dozen new weapons to play with, completely unknown story lines, a new combat engine, etc., and the only thing that interests you is the idea you’ll get a new trait really soon…. if you aren’t having fun at that point in the game, how are you ever going to enjoy it?

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Yup Listen new people just do spvp. Lose (make a minor effort) get your loot and bail = win.

For me running dungeons… as I do usually once I hit30 till 80. I feel as if I lost quite a bit of something. Maybe customization? Balls deep 5 in or go home.

I cant say Im weaker as I am levelling a warrior right now and they are faceroll easy aka I dont even bother dodging. 1,1,1,5,4,2,f1 dead.

But dungeonwise I dont know I feel like I am missing so much experimentation-wise.

Just buy the skill points? HAHAHA Whilst I may have some money most new 80’s I see are struggling to get over 2g.

Totals I-XIII 8 Gold coin60 Silver coin0 Copper coin + 72 Skill
(each line)

43 Gold coin0 Silver coin0 Copper coin + 360 Skill
(all lines)

Screams GOLD SINK/ Exchange gems for gold. Which has succeeded. Atleast for me. im sorry I have been playing since the bwe1. Ill be kitten ed if I have to look at some of these places again/do things I dont want to. Before this sillyness I was talking with the gf about buying 2 -3 more char slots as I wanted to level another ranger/thief/necro?
Now I cant even be bothered.

I suppose it doesnt matter anyways. Ill be buying those crappy transtones at exorbitant prices anyways as I like to look good levelling so they still have my money and that is what counts.

I mean have people actually looked at this? http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trait_guide

Whole new world to explore? Until the new player keeps wondering why he is being told to go to areas +10-20 levels above his level to get a trait that he theory crafted as being epic.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

(edited by DonQuack.9025)

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

What I’m more curious about is how this affects new players who want to play specifically for WvW. They come in at a major disadvantage do they not? Why would you come into WvW with less than half the skills your enemies have.

Lishtenbird.2814

if you aren’t having fun at that point in the game, how are you ever going to enjoy it?

Speaking from my experience: at level 80, once I have everything unlocked. At this point I’m looking on how to combine all traits and weapon skills to make it a fun and efficient playstyle instead of “I swung a sword, I swung a sword, hey, I swung a sword again!”. Everything before it feels like an obligatory waste of time before the real fun begins.

Posted by: playfuldreamer.1920

playfuldreamer.1920

This is fallacious because it relies on the assumption that if people aren’t on the forum posting, they must be satisfied with the game. This is an argument that is made frequently (the “you’re in the minority” argument), but even a minority voice and represent a majority opinion—and it frequently does. In other words: even if a minority of people are voicing complaints on the forum, it’s still possible that their complaints are representative of the majority of players who aren’t posting.

Unless or until you can prove that the majority of players who don’t post on the forum have no complaints, you’re making as much of an assumption as the poster you quoted.

Posted by: DavidH.7380

DavidH.7380

if you aren’t having fun at that point in the game, how are you ever going to enjoy it?

Speaking from my experience: at level 80, once I have everything unlocked. At this point I’m looking on how to combine all traits and weapon skills to make it a fun and efficient playstyle instead of “I swung a sword, I swung a sword, hey, I swung a sword again!”. Everything before it feels like an obligatory waste of time before the real fun begins.

It reminds me of going to Disneyland. I see other people (mostly young) enjoying the costumed characters, the whimsical buildings and music, the overpriced junk food, the rides through fake environments filled with animatronic robots… and I’m just not entertained like they are. At some point in my life I just got too serious or too jaded or whatever to enjoy that kind of amusement. The few big roller coaster type thrill rides are all that interests me anymore, but the rest is just blah. That seems to be the same way some people experience the game. Maybe if you play enough games and see enough virtual worlds they lose their novelty after a while.

Lishtenbird.2814

It reminds me of going to Disneyland. I see other people (mostly young) enjoying the costumed characters, the whimsical buildings and music, the overpriced junk food, the rides through fake environments filled with animatronic robots… and I’m just not entertained like they are. At some point in my life I just got too serious or too jaded or whatever to enjoy that kind of amusement. The few big roller coaster type thrill rides are all that interests me anymore, but the rest is just blah. That seems to be the same way some people experience the game. Maybe if you play enough games and see enough virtual worlds they lose their novelty after a while.

I’m the same with comedy shows – I know too much to even be amused in most cases.

Still, following your analogy… I like exploring the world and seeing wonders; but I want to do it when not ill, not hungry, not thirsty, not sleepy, in neat tidy clothes, with a decent camera and not in a hurry. And some people also feel like it. That’s all the difference

Posted by: HallusH.3987

HallusH.3987

not sure how adjusted the pve is atm but i can tell you that you can forget leveling in wvw post patch.
if pre patch a level 40-50 could survive post patch its not really happening.

Posted by: Will.6210

Will.6210

So yes, since the only important class in this game doesn’t really need traits to be viable in PvE till level 30, having the game balanced around it doesn’t surprise me.

lolwut

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

My only real opposition to it is hiding adept traits in zones the players can’t even access. Whoever decided on something as ridiculous as this… I can’t even speculate.

The idea of having traits that are unlocked via tasks to me makes some level of sense, but there are three things to improve on.

1. World vs World play now makes any new characters pretty much completely useless – they don’t have train-level income and they don’t have the ability to unlock tasks. Duplicate tasks have to be created for World vs World, or at the very least allow for traits to be bought entirely with World vs World badges ONLY, with no further gold costs.

2. The tasks must be reconsidered. At the very least all adept tasks should be in areas starting from lvl 1 to lvl 30, and the trait menu must be accessible from the start so players can unlock traits AS THEY EXPLORE in beginner areas. This gives an idea of progression even if they can’t use them yet – in contrast, getting points you can’t spend on anything at 30 is even more ridiculous than having to wait till 30 to have the first point to spend in the first place.

3. Trait unlocks should be account-bound, not character bound. I like world exploration. I have 1 100%, 1 90% (to be 100% tomorrow with WvW completion), 1 87%, 1 82% and 1 76%, among others. I will very likely 100% all 8 characters. I had all except Grandmaster XIII unlocked for all 8 characters because I had them all before the patch hit. I STILL don’t support having to individually unlock every trait for every character by doing the same tasks on all 8, as a player who LIKES world exploration.

(edited by Hayashi.3416)

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I STILL don’t support having to individually unlock every trait for every character by doing the same tasks on all 8, as a player who LIKES world exploration.

I still really dislike having do to the Karka queen once week to get the trait from her… Especially as I have only 1 window that I might even try to catch her, per week. Bravo for the person who figured to let the Karka queen show up in the middle of the night, then at lunch and then at dinner time for a large group of their audience….

It’s not the “explore zone X” or “kill boss Y”, it’s the “Kill boss Z which only arrives at a time you cannot play” bit that kind of kills those extra traits for me.

Posted by: SQLOwns.7316

SQLOwns.7316

I have leveled a Mesmer prior to this patch, ankitten ow leveling up an Ele in this patch. It is just horrible. I feel 20-30% weaker.

Eles are 20-30% weaker by default.. Working as intended.

SQL Owns – Elementalist
Dragon Steel [DSL]
Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Xia.3485

Xia.3485

Never had a problem leveling, combat in this game is pretty easy in zones. Its the kitten global boss schedule and how they bound traits to them that’s annoying.

But I do agree that adept and master traits should have level appropriate content to lock them to.