Ley-Line Research Achievements

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

So, two of the achievements added today require you to pick up Ley Energy items off the ground and turn them into the converter/machine/thing during the inquest events. As it is right now, it is really difficult to pick up more than maybe two or three of these per event (unless you just get lucky and no one else is standing near you when they spawn). This is partially because of the large number of players currently doing the events. But hostile AND friendly NPCs are also picking up the ley energy before players can even get to them, which means (obviously) there are even fewer items to collect for the achievements.

This isn’t an EXTREMELY important thing at all, I know. Plus, I’d imagine it’s not a quick thing to change, but I think the friendly NPCs shouldn’t be able to pick up event items players need for achievements.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

You’re incredibly lucky if you can get even get 1, let alone 2 or 3. There’s 100 or more people at the events and it seems like there’s only 10 or 15 ley energy drops per 20 minute cycle.

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

Needs to be personal drops for you. Basically promotes just ignoring the event and watching for bundles to steal. Also the events are over way too quickly.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Do they actually give you something useful or just more useless Tyrian mastery exp?

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

After doing this 3 times I’ve only gotten a total of 4 convalescences. There are so many people that you barely get a chance to pick one up. Not to mention individual pick-up time – I could swear I was there first but the other person picks it up. This is going to cause a lot of grief.(and create griefers)
You need to make a lot more drop in each event. It seems like only 10 or so drop – for 30+ people. And each event is spread apart by 20 minutes.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Just make the progress tied to the group instead of the individual. If there’s 30 items turned in everyone gets credit for said 30 items.

Isn’t that the entire point of the co-operative group structure PvE was supposed to have…..

Season 1 mistakes all over again.

Posted by: Esterie.7409

Esterie.7409

Someone on the subreddit said it best: One of the best parts of PvE in this game is the fact that collectible/harvesting items are an instance and not competitive.

I’ve done the Priory event a few times, picking up only one ley energy each time. And that was only because they spawned right where my character happened to be standing and no one else was around.

I don’t really understand why it needs to be so competitive.

Edit: I imagine it must be super frustrating if you’re trying to do this with a high ping.

Edit x2: Just did an event and wasn’t able to pick up a single ley energy. And the event was over within a minute. Fun. Hope these events stick around for a while so I can get ’em a shot without so many people around to compete with.

Main: Neyrilla – Sylvari Reaper

(edited by Esterie.7409)

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

Done this event 3 times so far and haven’t managed to pick up one…..

Posted by: Lost Dragons Tail.3760

Lost Dragons Tail.3760

I’m glad I am not the only one that has noticed this. I always thought the game was suppose to be designed to be cooperative not competitive in pve. Yet they make an event where one or a small group of people can make it impossible to get the achievement and no easy way to change it to make not competitive. Has the goal of being a cooperative game gone to the way side?

RoseofGilead.8907

Yeah, even if you manage to get the group to not kill quite as fast, there still aren’t nearly enough of the energy items to go around.

Posted by: Thanathos.2063

Thanathos.2063

I got around 40 in 2-3 hours. You just need to follow the ley line champ and take care for its animations, as they indicate the direction where it throws its ley line balls.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

This seems like a bug.

Such items should be per player objects, not shared.

You can see per-player objects in many events and renown hearts, so each player can pick them individually.

Otherwise this would put players against players, and that goes against the very soul of the game.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

RoseofGilead.8907

I got around 40 in 2-3 hours. You just need to follow the ley line champ and take care for its animations, as they indicate the direction where it throws its ley line balls.

Indeed. But if you and 20 other people are all doing that very thing, only one of you is going to luck out for each ball it throws, which is frustrating. Plus, if it lands on an npc, the npc will grab it. And then there’s the ping issue that someone else mentioned.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

If you’re lucky enough to be fast enough to get to the point and your animation isn’t delayed while someone else picks it up. I’ve had at least 7 or so that I thought I would get, but the other comes along after me and suddenly I don’t get to pick it up. Also, with tons of people your chances are slim to none of getting any.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

Yeah. Did these “events” twice. Very dull. Too much waiting. Hope the next LS isn’t going to be this dull.

misterman.1530

This seems like a bug.

Such items should be per player objects, not shared.

You can see per-player objects in many events and renown hearts, so each player can pick them individually.

Otherwise this would put players against players, and that goes against the very soul of the game.

Basically, we are now playing GWoW – Guildwars World Of Warcraft. Fun. Next competing for ore nodes.

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

I did 5 events and got one. I thought it was bad needing 15 but then I saw to complete the achievement you need 30!

Unless this changes looks like I won’t be bothering. :\

Posted by: Koomaster.9176

Koomaster.9176

This is similar to how it works in Rata Novus lane for the KotJ meta. Each ley energy can only be picked up by 1 player. Except in that case, dozens upon dozens are being thrown out. Here it seems to be 1 at a time vs. 30+ people competing for it.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I thought the whole point of this game was to get away from node competitions. I’m having WoW flashbacks, and not the fun parts.

Posted by: Sicarine.3985

Sicarine.3985

This issue needs more visibility. This achievement pits players directly against each other.

It’s not a bad event in design. We just need 50 times more ley energies spawning to make it less cutthroat.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

This issue needs more visibility. This achievement pits players directly against each other.

It’s not a bad event in design. We just need 50 times more ley energies spawning to make it less cutthroat.

They also need to make it scale better for the collecting part. Even with massive zergs it still doesn’t last very long.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: SyllyReth.2495

SyllyReth.2495

If each leyline energy ball had 3-5 “charges” that could be picked up, that would relieve some of the stress. The event seems to rely on the inquest morale, though, and not the amount of leyline energy collected, so I see no real reason why they can’t be individual spawns like the harvesting nodes are, especially since there are achievements reliant upon picking up so many of them.

Unbridled Dynasty [UND]

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Heading out for the evening but I want to toss in my agreement with the criticisms. This design promotes letting others fight the inquest while you hover over likely ley spawn spots and scoop them up as fast as you can to avoid them being ninja’d. It might settle down as more and more people get their 60 turn ins (30 each to Consortium and Priory) and step aside to let others get it. Or it may become a griefer’s paradise as they zip over to the spawns to nab them even once they’ve done the achieve.

Regardless, a hotfix seems in order if at all feasible. Please either make them shared nodes or toss out a whole lot more of them for gathering. If the event ends when enough are gathered, I can see that making the event too short, but maybe something can be fixed there as well?

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Do they actually give you something useful or just more useless Tyrian mastery exp?

Nope. Just your usual junk loot with a champ box that holds likely more junk loot.

The least Anet could do would be make the experience books an item that can be used in the future. These events are pretty much pointless if you’ve maxed out masteries.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

misterman.1530

Nope. Just your usual junk loot with a champ box that holds likely more junk loot.

The least Anet could do would be make the experience books an item that can be used in the future. These events are pretty much pointless if you’ve maxed out masteries.

Ah. Then I can avoid this. Good. Stuck on Legendary Crafting – have the xp, just don’t have the Mastery Points – and I couldn’t care less about Legendary Crafting…so am done

(edited by misterman.1530)

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Heading out for the evening but I want to toss in my agreement with the criticisms. This design promotes letting others fight the inquest while you hover over likely ley spawn spots and scoop them up as fast as you can to avoid them being ninja’d. It might settle down as more and more people get their 60 turn ins (30 each to Consortium and Priory) and step aside to let others get it. Or it may become a griefer’s paradise as they zip over to the spawns to nab them even once they’ve done the achieve.

Regardless, a hotfix seems in order if at all feasible. Please either make them shared nodes or toss out a whole lot more of them for gathering. If the event ends when enough are gathered, I can see that making the event too short, but maybe something can be fixed there as well?

I have to assume the general idea was cooperativeness where some fight the inquest so that others can gather but I cannot see it succeeding as folk who complete the achieve most likely will not come back to assist those who have yet to get their achieve and the rest are left in a grab free for all. Then you will have some griefers who will find this event right up their alley denying others. It might be better to toss out more and have a event limit to what you can turn in for each event – say 6. Alternatively if you kill a collector that has gotten a ley line you take it in return. It would be more fun to me than it is now.

*edit
Just tried the event again. Everyone was trying to get the ley line stuff, npcs were downed and leyline stuff on top of them so trying to pick anything up had you constantly rezzing npcs instead and people dying around because no one is really defending and everyone getting hammered by the inquest as they tried to pick up orbs….. Of course it failed.

(edited by Aerinndis.2730)

Posted by: Blanche Neige.7241

Blanche Neige.7241

And it’s not even peak hour.

Imagine the mess it will be in a few hours when everyone will be trying to complete these success.

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Someone on the subreddit said it best: One of the best parts of PvE in this game is the fact that collectible/harvesting items are an instance and not competitive.

This wouldn’t be the first time Anet produces content that contradicts basic principles of the game.
Whatever happened to -in GW2 we want players to work together,feel good when they see other players around them,and not compete against each other-.?
Many times I get the feeling that the game is made by teams working in different buildings,and not a coherent team working under the same roof.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

Anet really dropped the ball on this. Whoever decided to link achievements to this aspect of the event needs to be sat down and have the core principles of GW2 explained to them. The event itself is fine, and there are even other events with items behaving the same way. But those events are typically not linked to achievements, and especially not limited-time achievements.

I did a couple events without even noticing the items on the ground because I was focused on what seemed to be the primary aspect of the event, the Inquest attack. After looking into the achievements, I started noticing the dropped items and managed to grab a few of them during one event. However, I think I will just be ignoring these achievements until they are fixed, as I have no interest in contributing to this counter-productive gameplay.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There are three possibilities:

• This was a bug and they’ll fix it, in which case: no need for alarm.
  • It was intended (to add drama to the event), but the drop rate is incorrect, in which case they’ll fix it: no need for alarm.
  • It was intended as an experiment and they’ll see the negative feedback and fix it, in which case: no need for alarm.

tl;dr no need for alarm

I figured there will be at least two weeks before the next set of events, so there’s plenty of time to work on these later, when everyone isn’t in a tizzy (positive or negative).

tl;dr
DON’T PANIC
(just because your CAPSLOCK key is stuck doesn’t mean you have to type in ALLCAPS)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Yeah, I’ll be skipping this one unless they change or fix it. Not fun. And definitely feels hamster wheel.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Nol Fran Shee.1285

Nol Fran Shee.1285

I like that the event is driven by a Priory story line. Per agency stories would be cool. Especially cool would be if there were some kind of visible reward for doing agency events with your agency affiliated character. Each character could advance through the ranks of the respective agency with a title. Yeah, I know Gixx already made me a Magister, but some kind of level up would be cool. Especially if it translated to special agency merchants or discounts from the Priory merchants.

Arise my pretty minion!

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

Guess what is the new game for the trolls.

dropping food tray and bundles on the ground during event.

have fun picking stuffs up ……………..

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

Posted by: Stayler.2718

Stayler.2718

Done 4 events and i’ve managed to get none. Maybe Anet should let it spawn more depending on the amount of people in the event area.

Posted by: Stayler.2718

Stayler.2718

Guess what is the new game for the trolls.

dropping food tray and bundles on the ground during event.

have fun picking stuffs up ……………..

Yep. It just makes things more difficult than it already is.

Posted by: Elliyana.8936

Elliyana.8936

We now have trolls purposely placing things on the ground to make the achievement harder, please advise.

Attachments:

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Wow. Just . . . wow.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Steele.8509

Steele.8509

We now have trolls purposely placing things on the ground to make the achievement harder, please advise.

I was in the same event earlier the guy also dumped a lot of fireworks making sure that it will be harder for everybody else.

Honestly, I think this type of achievement is too competitive for PvE does not really promote the cooperative foundation that the PvE play type which game was designed for.

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

I really hope this is a bug because otherwise it must be a really sick joke from ANet. Did 3 events, picked up 0 ley energy whatevers and I couldn’t even see one. This needs to be addressed asap…

Posted by: Day Trooper.3605

Day Trooper.3605

If it helps anyone (I’ve completed both sets of Ley-Line Research achievements), I turned my graphics all the way down to ‘Best Performance’ and also turned off all nameplates except for ‘Usable Object Names.’

That way I could much more easily see the Ley Energy balls (I turned in 11 balls on the last event )

(edited by Day Trooper.3605)

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

I just had another go at this event (at 11am so off peak) – I didn’t adjust any settings as any requirement to reconfigure your settings for an event just seems stupid and wrong to me.
I just watched for ley energy drops – the event only dropped 7 of them in total – I managed to grab the last one – I ran to the place to hand it in and the event ended just before I got there so it despawned from my hands and I could not hand it in.
Even at this time of day with the Shatterer happening at exactly the same time there were approx. 40 people doing this event.
How the previous poster managed to get 11 in one event seems a virtually impossible feat when you only get 1 usable energy drop per 7 people unless somehow you manage to fluke a fresh map where you are the only person doing it.
Anet need to do something to improve this event even if it is to increase the drop rate or to allow you to hand in any energy you are carrying after the inquest is defeated.

(edited by Nidome.1365)

Posted by: inubasiri.8745

inubasiri.8745

Just wait.

Day 1: 35 people at each bandit champ.
Day 7: 5 people at each bandit champ.

Posted by: Silas Eorth.7348

Silas Eorth.7348

But NPCs are also picking up the ley energy before players can even get to them, which means (obviously) there are even fewer items to collect for the achievements.

I can’t confirm this (due to the mad dash-and-grab nature of other players), but it seems like if an NPC grabs the item and you kill that NPC they drop the ley energy and you or any other player can then claim it.

And I’ll agree, it’s a living hell right now trying to do these APs. I vocalized my disdain at not being able to get even one in three consecutive events and the only advice I was given was “get good scrub” by another player. :/ Maybe once the die-hard AP hunters finish, the rest of us can have a fair shot at it.

Posted by: Archranis.2375

Archranis.2375

Yep. Not fun at all. Just a grind.

[JUGs] Just Us Grownups — http://jugs-guild.com
Contacts: Archranis.2375 // Neksis Syxx.6983

Posted by: pelle ossa.9705

pelle ossa.9705

the problems are… this events are not fun, they are completely boring , they don’t explain anything , they are totally useless , it’s only achievements that require to stay afk in map and every 20 minutes play for 2 minutes…
i wonder why spending resources to do this events…

RoseofGilead.8907

But NPCs are also picking up the ley energy before players can even get to them, which means (obviously) there are even fewer items to collect for the achievements.

I can’t confirm this (due to the mad dash-and-grab nature of other players), but it seems like if an NPC grabs the item and you kill that NPC they drop the ley energy and you or any other player can then claim it.

No, I don’t mean the hostile NPCs. Those do pick them up, but as you said, you can kill them and pick them up again (if someone doesn’t grab it first). I mean the FRIENDLY NPCs are picking them up. If the friendly NPCs grab one, a mob will have to kill said NPC before it gets to the collector for a player to have a chance to grab it again, but then the NPC’s revivable corpse will be on top of the item, making it a bit of a pain to click on or pick up with F. :\

Posted by: Nutjob.9021

Nutjob.9021

Since these events are temporary I don’t think it will be fixed. Easier just to let the time run out on the problem and ignore it like they did with the Mordrem blossoms.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think, like someone posted above, just like the Bandit Events, the ‘mad dash’ will slow down with time.

Also, don’t forget, the other two maps the NPC showed us will likely have events with which to collect these items, soon, as well. (If you speak to the NPCs there, they state they are only waiting on more devices to be created and delivered.)

Thus, more spreading out of the population doing the events. I feel we will have around 6 weeks to work on this, if not more. (Season 3 isn’t expected to drop until mid-July, or so…if that soon.)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The achievement gives a champ box? O_o

Actually I wouldn’t mind more champ boxes at the moment, need more Piles of Bloodstone Dust. :P

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I think, like someone posted above, just like the Bandit Events, the ‘mad dash’ will slow down with time.

Also, don’t forget, the other two maps the NPC showed us will likely have events with which to collect these items, soon, as well. (If you speak to the NPCs there, they state they are only waiting on more devices to be created and delivered.)

Thus, more spreading out of the population doing the events. I feel we will have around 6 weeks to work on this, if not more. (Season 3 isn’t expected to drop until mid-July, or so…if that soon.)

Just waiting is a poor excuse for an obvious oversight. Especially if Mo wants to get back to the core of what made GW2 good. This is the exact opposite way to go about that.