Ley-Line Research Achievements

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

ArenaNet responded to concerns about this event over on Reddit (of course). Here:

anet_mattp Wrote:

hey all, thought I’d respond to this thread (because it is currently the highest ranked of the few on the topic). The way this is playing out is certainly not intended, and we’re working on some changes to it right now. Not really sure yet when any changes will get out (the NPC’s are pretty dependent on the way it currently works), but hopefully we can have something soon.

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Thanks for the link, Siobhan. As usual, I wish they’d post such things on the official forums as well as over on reddit, but that’s another story for another day.

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

Anytime, Rose. Same here.

Use the GW2 Reddit Dev Tracker. It’s mind-blowing how much more communication is happening there.

(compare the activity to the Dev Tracker on these forums )

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

(edited by Siobhan.5273)

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

If both researchers would only start on different time slots, so the “event zombies” can hop from Priory event to Consortium and back again, it would at least reduce the waiting time.
Right now, it is a “best ping = least frustration” event, which is very annoying.
I am waiting for a fix and stopped waiting for a researcher.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

At least they’re looking at the events in hopes to fix it.

Posted by: Rose Solane.1027

Rose Solane.1027

ArenaNet responded to concerns about this event over on Reddit (of course). Here:

anet_mattp Wrote:

hey all, thought I’d respond to this thread (because it is currently the highest ranked of the few on the topic). The way this is playing out is certainly not intended, and we’re working on some changes to it right now. Not really sure yet when any changes will get out (the NPC’s are pretty dependent on the way it currently works), but hopefully we can have something soon.

Can I be very cynical about this? This event should have never been designed this way. What was the intention from ArenaNet for this event? It let players compete with other players in PvE over resources/nodes. The fact that GW2 does NOT let players compete in PvE over resources is one of the most important features of the game! It is the reason a lot of players like GW2 that do not like other MMO’s. How is it possible that an event that promotes competition in PvE even made it into the game?

The only good thing about this event so far was the short and very cynical discussion in guild chat I had 15 minutes ago. Where two other members showed their appreciation for this event

Piken Square, The descendants of Gwen

Posted by: Tayledras.1604

Tayledras.1604

Glad something is changing on this one…I have done every achievement thus far for the LS3 build-up and even added bandit killing to my crews daily activities but after doing this once last night we were ready to write this one off as skippable. We were all of the same mind…felt way to much like a WoW event than a GW one.

If you want peace, prepare for war.

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

It sounds like this is an unintended consequence of the ley line objects being picked up by players or NPCs, though it isn’t obvious to me how to fix it.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I think the easiest way to fix this is to just do nothing. Even today there were noticeably less people. I managed to finish this up in about 15 events total.

By the time the weekend is over you will be able to get all 60 in 5 events tops.

By next weekend you will probably be able to do this in a single event.

Poor design but don’t waste time changing anything, just learn the lesson and design the next one better.

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

Go on a toon with perma-swiftness, run in circles around the coalescence like a crazy person spamming “F” while completely ignoring the agro mobs and you avg 3-4 per event. At this rate it should only take you approx 20 events to finish.

/end sarcasm

I’m hoping this is improved sooner than later, spending 5 hours standing around in Blazeridge for 10AP just isn’t going to be fun.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Welcome to Guild Wars 2 Sandbox, Test Subject! lol And yeah, I haven’t tried it yet but hearing about this type of competitive thing in PvE makes me want to avoid it for now. Please, no more of this. I sticked with GW2 for a reason that’s not competitive stuff in PvE.

Can I be very cynical about this? This event should have never been designed this way. What was the intention from ArenaNet for this event? It let players compete with other players in PvE over resources/nodes. The fact that GW2 does NOT let players compete in PvE over resources is one of the most important features of the game! It is the reason a lot of players like GW2 that do not like other MMO’s. How is it possible that an event that promotes competition in PvE even made it into the game?

The only good thing about this event so far was the short and very cynical discussion in guild chat I had 15 minutes ago. Where two other members showed their appreciation for this event

Well, it looks like someone went the opposite way and liked it, even suggesting more of it: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/PVE-not-competitive-enough O.o

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

I have done 7 events, and so far I have managed to get 2 ley-line energy balls….

This contention for “resources” belongs in an open-world PvP game with mob/kill stealing and node/resource battles; not introduced in GW2 like this.

Please patch and make the ball pump out a dozen more ley-line energy balls so everyone can get this achievement.

I need a total of 60 of these for both achievements… you planning on keeping this event running until LS3 is launched after summer? It sure will take that amount of time to get it done at least…

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Like someone said: i would go pvp if i wanted to compete vs other players.

Competing for 1 glowy orb vs NPCs and 50 other players is kind of dumb.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Posted by: Celine.6857

Celine.6857

There is a big general issue outside of this (and inclusive) – since the elite specs have made everyone super killing machines, a lot of champion event chains, event farms like Frostgorge Sound are becoming so frustrating especially for people loading on slower computers because once you get there the things are dead and you get no credit (and believe me, I know about this because I was running on a very slow pc for the game until recently). People say things like “keep up” or “know the waypoint rotation” but I’m sorry, since when should wanting to take part in a few random champs while you level or map complete require this kind of prior knowledge? It just seems pretty unfair. They need to raise champs’ HP IMO.

Picking up has always been an issue for me; like one poster above, I swear a lot of the time my character does the ‘pick up’ animation but the other person gets it. A lot of times it frustrates me that players see other players going for an object, yet still are determined to try and ‘beat you to it’. I just hope, like others that this’ll be around for a while to give me an opportunity to do this event.

Samantha
Guild: Creators of Destiny Awakening [CDA] Disabled GW2 gamer; love all aspects of GW2!
Champion: Magus, Illusionist, Phantom and Shadow

RoseofGilead.8907

A new patch is about to go in. From the notes:

“The “Defeat the Inquest to prevent them from capturing the Ley-Energy Coalescence” event will now create player-specific versions of the ley-energy items to reduce competition.”

Hopefully that will be the end of the problem.

Posted by: Kreejaffa.3682

Kreejaffa.3682

I am laughing now, because I just finished both of them about 3 hours ago.

Kreejaffa [Ferguson’s Crossing]
Leader of Looking For Gandalf [LFG]
Worst Commander of Ferguson’s Crossing (Self Proclaimed)

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Thank you for the fix!

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Thank you for the fix!

You bet! Matt said it would be soon, and it was!

For those who missed it:

Update notes state: “The “Defeat the Inquest to prevent them from capturing the Ley-Energy Coalescence” event will now create player-specific versions of the ley-energy items to reduce competition.”

Seems to me that’s problem solved.

Do let us have your feedback on the event now that this has been sorted, ok?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

RoseofGilead.8907

Will do, Gaile. And thanks again to the team in charge of the fix for making it a priority.

RoseofGilead.8907

I just did one, and most of the energy objects are definitely player-specific now. Some either despawn after a certain time or aren’t instanced, though, because I had several that would disappear as myself and another player ran up to them, and the other player would walk away with one while it would disappear on my screen. But, generally speaking, it’s far far better now.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Awesome! Now I’ll do the event. Thank you.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

There is a big general issue outside of this (and inclusive) – since the elite specs have made everyone super killing machines, a lot of champion event chains, event farms like Frostgorge Sound are becoming so frustrating especially for people loading on slower computers because once you get there the things are dead and you get no credit (and believe me, I know about this because I was running on a very slow pc for the game until recently). People say things like “keep up” or “know the waypoint rotation” but I’m sorry, since when should wanting to take part in a few random champs while you level or map complete require this kind of prior knowledge? It just seems pretty unfair. They need to raise champs’ HP IMO.

I know the feeling. It surprises me that those champs haven’t been demoted to vets too like several other were. Champs nowadays worth almost nothing, easy kill (with a reasonable yet small group) with cheap loot.

Oh and glad to hear it was patched. Gonna give it a try soon.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

Seems like the simplest solution to this. Thanks for the quick fix.

I’ll be back to working on these two after my usual round of daily activities.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: TheLordQ.1857

TheLordQ.1857

Impressive speed on this change, and it is appreciated.

Posted by: Silas Eorth.7348

Silas Eorth.7348

Update notes state: “The “Defeat the Inquest to prevent them from capturing the Ley-Energy Coalescence” event will now create player-specific versions of the ley-energy items to reduce competition.”

And the players did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies, and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit-bats and large chu… (Monty Python fans get the idea)

Well done, ANet! Thanks for listening to our feedback

Posted by: Taigen Raine.8752

Taigen Raine.8752

So, the fix for the collecting achieve is wonderful, however, now the ‘Thwart the Inquest’ and ‘Hold the Line’ achieves are almost impossible. I don’t know if it is just everyone rushing to finish their collecting (and not fighting inquest), but I think that because the ley-energy stays on the ground when you pick it up, this means every golem can pick up every energy drop… so holding them to 0 or even 5 is going to be quite difficult. You have to kill them before they even get back with one since you can’t ‘beat them to it’, and with upscaling my damage barely even registers.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I am super pleased with the fix. I advanced much further on the Priory achieve in one event than I had in several before, and likely the only reason I didn’t do even better was that the Priory turn in was a good distance away to run. It’s fun again instead of rage inducing.

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

I’m definitely not having any trouble grabbing the ley energy now but as previous post says, it’s impossible to succeed the event now with the upscaling bullet proof golems and plethora of energy all over the place.

Ya might have turned up the throttle a TAD too much lol!

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

It’s not impossible to succeed the events. I got the last three successful events I needed as well as my collection achievements. You just need to make sure you have enough people killing as well as collecting.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Got both ‘collecting’ parts done tonight. But, as mentioned, the achievement to deny the golems any energy is kitten-near impossible right now. Either way, the update was awesome.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

It’s not impossible to succeed the events. I got the last three successful events I needed as well as my collection achievements. You just need to make sure you have enough people killing as well as collecting.

I’m curious how you “make sure” of that?

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

Thanks for the quick fix.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Thank you for the fix!

You bet! Matt said it would be soon, and it was!

For those who missed it:

Do let us have your feedback on the event now that this has been sorted, ok?

Awesome! I wondered the other day if I was just being a bit crap at collecting the energy, to the point I was going to skip these events completely. Now I’ll be able to join in and get achievements (yay, achievements! <3).

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: kyrie.8530

kyrie.8530

just get faster at picking them up, I’ve done 13 events in total and gotten 30 from each side. so thats 4,6 each event on avage.
For example u can use a thief and teleport insta to the drop to get there before everyone else.

and if u play too poorly, you can always just wait 3-4 days till the good players have gotten their achievement, so there only the slow players left there to do the events.
(u dont need to get the achievement maxed on the first 2 days)

Posted by: ESKan.6782

ESKan.6782

Thwart the Inquest does indeed seem impossible now. Since picking up energies doesn’t mean the Golems can’t get them anymore you have to kill them, and they seem to be able to keep up permanent blocking up for some reason. It doesn’t help that the golems get upscaled because of the players either.

[PD] – Far Shiverpeaks.
Nameless Inversion/Ascension/Evasion/Ruination/Impression/Perdition/Compassion/Tactician
Guild Wars 2 will be an amazing game when it’s finished. Compare Prophecies to EotN!

Posted by: Gop.8713

Gop.8713

I’m enjoying the irony of this ‘fix’ . . .

Yesterday I came here to read the forums before I logged in so I expected collecting the ley-line energy to be nearly impossible. It turned out to be fairly easy — at least one or two per event, maybe a few more if I was lucky, but easily enough to complete both collection cheeves in a week or two of casual playing . . .

Now I log in tonight and I can complete each collection in a single run, but successfully completing the event is much harder than collecting the energy was before the fix . . .

Sweet justice, I say. I hope they leave it like this. Maybe folks will learn to whine a bit less, or at least put a little effort in before they do so . . .

Posted by: Ze Dos Cavalos.6132

Ze Dos Cavalos.6132

I didn’t do the event in the first day and now after the fix is impossible to do the Thwart the Inquest ap.
Scale the golems down a bit or something coz if a champion grabs the energy we cant get that ap

[DIE] Death is Energy

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

Thanks a lot for the reactivity!

Just because I’m picky, I’d point out 2 things though:

- Some ley-line thingies still seem to disappear when picked by another character (need to double check this one – it could simply be some sort of time out) – not a big deal since there are tons of them anyways.

- The hand icon above the ley-line thingies doesn’t always disappear when picked.

But of course, that’s really minor, and the events are much more enjoyable now (they were nightmarish before). Cheers!

Posted by: Shezu Tsukai.8291

Shezu Tsukai.8291

Please address the scaling of the events now. Even with DS style set teams 25% doing pick up and 75% DPS it’s not win able.

That leaves only the choice to pick up bundles as fast as possible before the event fails. I hope that wasn’t your intention for this event.

Verum et Vitae

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I found the first coallescence events a bit of quick fun. The latest events, I have to admit, are a little tedious. Apart from the issues with the final fight people have noted above…there’s all the walking. Slowly escorting the npcs to their destination before the fight begins… it seems a little like padding. You start at one waypoint and walk with them halfway across the map past other waypoints. Okay, maybe a little exaggeration, but it’s a lot of walking for something that isn’t an escort mission.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I actually haven’t escorted them I just camped each ley line position until they got there. xD

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Change was unneccessary. Finished all 4 achievements on first evening without much trouble. I also did not see any kind of toxic behaviour that went above what you see every day.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Thanks a lot for the reactivity!

Just because I’m picky, I’d point out 2 things though:

- Some ley-line thingies still seem to disappear when picked by another character (need to double check this one – it could simply be some sort of time out) – not a big deal since there are tons of them anyways.

- The hand icon above the ley-line thingies doesn’t always disappear when picked.

But of course, that’s really minor, and the events are much more enjoyable now (they were nightmarish before). Cheers!

I noticed the same but it didn’t really bother me. Event is definitely more enjoyable now. It was a lot more fun trying to keep the inquest from getting any crystals after I finished my achieve. I wonder if there could be an bonus reward added if we can manage to keep them from getting any of the ley line energy. That would give incentive for folk to come and actively defend.

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

Well, I’m going to wait until a second fix before doing it. I still need Hold the Line.

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

The events are failing left and right now, let alone getting thwart the inquest achieve. jeez

RoseofGilead.8907

I did a couple last night, and while several golems did pick up the energy, the events were completed fine. But if they’re failing this much now, yeah, things might need to be reassessed and fixed in a different way.

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

Change was unneccessary. Finished all 4 achievements on first evening without much trouble. I also did not see any kind of toxic behaviour that went above what you see every day.

Then you were incredibly lucky. Perhaps you should hang out at the Mystic Forge.

Posted by: Celine.6857

Celine.6857

Thank you so much!!!

Samantha
Guild: Creators of Destiny Awakening [CDA] Disabled GW2 gamer; love all aspects of GW2!
Champion: Magus, Illusionist, Phantom and Shadow

Posted by: Bandini.6185

Bandini.6185

Thank you for this quick fix.

What bothers me (apart from the fact that the event fails much more often, not even speaking about Thwart the Inquest) is that we have to wait. A lot.

We had to wait less than 10 minutes for the first two rounds, at least 5 times for round one, 18 times for round two. And now, we have to wait around 15 minutes, at least ten times. Would’nt it be better if the events were at fixed times ?
xx:05 for round one events
xx:10 for round two events
xx:15 for round three events
etc

Posted by: Mike El Angelo.2874

Mike El Angelo.2874

So how am I supposed to get Thwart the Inquest now? I’ve been trying over the past days but still no luck.

Gunnar’s Hold