Living Story Won't bring people back.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shift Focus.9083

Shift Focus.9083

So we’re inching our way up to the 2nd year anniversary of Guild Wars 2, and yet we’re still being given living story content that’s done in literally an hour or two of playing.

Sure they’ve made living story better in some aspects, sure it’s better than living story season one so far, and sure we got a new map, but wtf?

Dry top is a beautiful map, but every 2 weeks we only get to unlock about what? 1/8th of the map? a very small portion crammed with events to make it look like there’s more to it than meets the eye. The achievements related to the Story Journal are not fun at all in my own opinion, and i’m sure other people just do them to get the points and want to get it over with as I do.

Time and time again people have been giving suggestions to improve the game and bring a lot of people back, that fall on deaf ears and go to the abyss.

Suggestions like…..

~Mounts
~Guild Halls
~Player Housing
~Expansion pack (Cantha, Elona, maybe a new one we haven’t seen in gw1 before)
~Guild Wars (GvG)
~New Skills, new weapons
~New classes
~New Playable Races
~Mini pet fighting arena in LA that hasn’t been open (yet if ever)
~Divinity’s Reach Shooting Range mini game and supposedly a bar fight mini game that was supposed to be there at launch or shortly after launch
~Marriage system
~Apprentice system
~New WvW maps (let’s face it 3 of the same map type is a big WTF even nearly 2 years after release…-_-)
~New sPVP maps and a total overhaul of the combat system to actually make it competitive and fun to watch, right now it’s a complete joke unfortunately.

There’s probably other stuff here that i’m missing so feel free to add onto the list.

However we did get a wardrobe system, 2 new maps in PVE (so far?) (1 WvW map that is basically a level/karma fest map and It’s pretty boring) cough EoTM :P,
New Gemstore outfits and items, a chunk load of mini pets that are overpriced on the gemstore to begin with, a few new SPVP maps since release, but all the same concept and design basically nothing new or interesting, Removal of the ORB in WvW that actually kind of made it fun for people trying to snipe the orb carrier and put it safely back on an altar and replacing it with lame “borderlands bloodlust” -_-

I do like the games design, I like the character customization and I like the story (somewhat, it lacks luster compared to gw1 though) but there’s just too many variables that aren’t being dealt with, or added into the game, I hope for the games sake they’re actually working on an expansion pack and the so called “Living Story” is only filler content to keep us busy while they surprise us with a BIG patch, but that seems pretty far fetched xD

(edited by Shift Focus.9083)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Why do you think an expansion seems far-fetched?

Posted by: Shift Focus.9083

Shift Focus.9083

Games generally have an expansion 6 months to a year after a game is released in some way or some form, plus the silence of the developers and the staff at arena net is the biggest issue we have here.

Posted by: Riaky.8965

Riaky.8965

Why do you think an expansion seems far-fetched?

B/c there is no news whatsoever about the expansion. So yea….. and I agreed w/ the OP!

Vayne.8563

Most games don’t come out with an expansion after six months. I don’t even know where you’d get a figure like that. Games like WoW are usually a couple of years between expansions.

And has said they’re working on larger projects. We know now they have 20 people working on the Living Story. There are 300 people working for the company.

You think 280 people are delivering coffee to those 20?

Anet isn’t talking about an expansion at this point for business reasons. If there’s not going to be a boxed expansion, the same sorts of stuff you’d find in an expansion will find their way into a game.

Colin said IF they do a new profession it will be a heavy armor class. We know that more zones are coming. They’ve already said there will be more skills added (and they’re setting up the game to do just that).

But they also just released in China and they’re not going to put out an expansion until most of the Chinese player base is 80th level. That’s business.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I can’t say I’ve seen but possibly one thread clamoring for marriage or apprentice (not even sure what that would be?). And I really can’t see a mini-game such as poke-pet or shooting gallery bringing back hordes of players.

But, maybe I’m just not ‘with it’ being so old and a ‘baddie’. Lol. =P

Oh, but I have seen a few threads about people coming back since Season Two. No idea why they came back. It might have been because they heard about new content, or…..just a wild coincidence. /shrug

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

Lol, you want a total overhaul of the combat system?
Also, it’s not ANet’s fault that the players turned EotM into a karma train. They gave us a perfectly good map with interesting mechanics and we’re the ones that didn’t appreciate it enough.

I think it’s been confirmed that we won’t get an expansion, but LS season 2 is all permanent content, so I don’t really mind at all.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Well, NCsoft has been avoiding on developing expansion to GW2 with ANet.

Hopefully the resent rumours and news are true, and we get an expansion…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Lana Del Rey.1873

Lana Del Rey.1873

Um, do you have any sources that would support this?

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey, is that true?

Vayne.8563

Lol, you want a total overhaul of the combat system?
Also, it’s not ANet’s fault that the players turned EotM into a karma train. They gave us a perfectly good map with interesting mechanics and we’re the ones that didn’t appreciate it enough.

I think it’s been confirmed that we won’t get an expansion, but LS season 2 is all permanent content, so I don’t really mind at all.

It has never been confirmed that we won’t get an expansion…ever. The closest thing that was said was that the kind of content you’d expect from an expansion is in the works and they haven’t decided how to deliver it yet.

Vayne.8563

NcSoft has been the one saying an expansion is coming. It’s Anet not saying so.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

~Mounts

Stopped reading at this point.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Also the Living Story has been bringing people back. Returning player threads are a regular occurrence on this forum and apparently Reddit added a whole new section for them.

It may not be what you personally want but a lot of other people enjoy it. I’ve been playing almost every day since S2 started and my main character has left Dry Top twice, one of which was to do the Concordia and Fort Salma instances.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Vayne.8563

The new living story is brilliant. Not just because of the story instances, but because of the concerted effort required to get to Tier 5.

It may seem like a lot of people, but it’s not actually a zerg event. Zerging each event scales them too high and makes them harder to do efficiently. Instead, you need to have people organized and communicating, going back and forth to events that need help, getting the bonus on the events (which is something new) to get more rep with the Zephyrites.

Getting lockpicks and new recipes for less geodes, plus the events that only spawn at Tier 4 and 5 (plus the bonus in geodes you receive for events) makes it a good zone to hang out in.

It’s fun to try to push the envelope and get to Tier 5 (which only happens rarely but it does happen).

By themselves none of the events are spectucular (though some are interesting) but the sum total of the result is greater than the sum of its parts.

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

Also, it’s not ANet’s fault that the players turned EotM into a karma train.

In a way, it is. There is a window for exploitation/certain playstyle, made by AN, since it’s AN who designed the EotM and WvW. It’s possible that the problem lies not in the specific map design, but in the reward distribution. The problem is where AN put the rewards at. Currently it’s in “running in circles like a rat collecting champ bags”. This can be changed, but this will require AN to re-think their concept of rewards in WvW, what ppl are getting rewarded for, whole system should be somehow changed/tweaked, one way or another. It might be not easy, but, imo, it should be interesting task.

Vayne.8563

Also, it’s not ANet’s fault that the players turned EotM into a karma train.

In a way, it is. There is a window for exploitation/certain playstyle, made by AN, since it’s AN who designed the EotM and WvW. It’s possible that the problem lies not in the specific map design, but in the reward distribution. The problem is where AN put the rewards at. Currently it’s in “running in circles like a rat collecting champ bags”. This can be changed, but this will require AN to re-think their concept of rewards in WvW, what ppl are getting rewarded for, whole system should be somehow changed/tweaked, one way or another. It might be not easy, but, imo, it should be interesting task.

And Anet ran the test server filled with WvW guilds. People have been asking for a PTS since forever. Anet gave it to them. Saw the feedback. I was part of that test and I saw the feedback.

No one suggested this was going to happen. That’s why I think PTS’s aren’t going to change much.

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

I couldn’t be less interested in LS content, and I couldn’t be more disappointed with how GW2 has turned out.

The only things I’ve wanted in this game are for (intra-)class balance and build diversity to be taken seriously, and some interesting new mechanics added to WVW. But in 2 years, almost nothing.

downed state is bad for PVP

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

LW2 brings people back there are many threads where show their interest in season 2. Gaming sites report about season 2. I see also more new players now.

I also think the forecasts about content based on two episodes are too vague. I could forecast based on them DEs for 5 to 6 Maps, 12 world bosses, a dozen of new stat combos and weapon sets and hundreds of new recipes. Look at a forecast based on the first to episodes of season 1. How precise was it?

Secondly the size of a map is not important. The content and it’s density is. You could simply quadruple the size of southsun. Would it become super appealing then? The Event density in Dry Top is very high – higher than in many old maps.

Before we do vague forecasts we should wait at least until episode 6.

(edited by Belenwyn.8674)

wasted.6817

No one suggested this was going to happen. That’s why I think PTS’s aren’t going to change much.

Karma trains existed long before EotM, but in EotM it became the alpha and omega because EotM is out of the WvW loop, no one cares about score in EotM. That’s why no one suggested it could happen. EotM just outlined the major flaw in general WvW rewards concept. That’s why PTS and EotM karma trains are 2 different issues. PTS did help, i’am sure it made EotM a better map and helped devs with design/fixing bugs etc. The karma/champ trains issue is a deeper core WvW problem, rather than a simple issue of some specific map’s design.

@Belenwyn.8674 For some people it’s not only about farming events, it’s also about sense of wander and exploring, thus size matters.

(edited by wasted.6817)

Vayne.8563

Karma trains existed long before EotM, but in EotM it became the alpha and omega because EotM is out of the WvW loop, no one cares about score in EotM. That’s why no one suggested it could happen. EotM just outlined the major flaw in general WvW rewards concept. That’s why PTS and EotM karma trains are 2 different issues. PTS did help, i’am sure it made EotM a better map and helped devs with design/fixing bugs etc. The karma/champ trains issue is a deeper core WvW problem, rather than a simple issue of some specific map’s design.

The time and resources Anet put it in for WvW people though was largely wasted on them, because in spite of their high praise for it (and there was), it’s become a joke. And people still blame Anet for that. No one saw it coming is my point.

It had to go live for that to develop. That’s a whole lot of wasted development time.

Posted by: Marcelinho.3190

Marcelinho.3190

Here we go with yet another topic that every day and the same thing, tired of it all the days, unfortunately our community and really bad and it hurts the game as new players want to know how and when the game and enter the forum and the same litany of ever (the game is empty, has no content and bla bla bla) I wonder if any of those people who beats his chest and says the game is void has some reading about it, before the megaservidor Dill opened the the servers that were already high cap now has 3 full again, and it is empty? this defendant and the players? some of you have the numbers played by the server? The simple fact of the list of offline friend of you this does not mean that the game is empty and people will come so if anyone of you is a database that tells me this game please post empty, with numbers and not come to me with google saying that the game died of Anet want relatorio you guys have? I think not.

NOTE: GW2 already sold 3.8 million copies in china in 2 months and a half.

actually the game is dying

:/

http://ptrealms.com/gw2/conteudos.php?id=5166

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

The new living story is brilliant. Not just because of the story instances, but because of the concerted effort required to get to Tier 5.

It may seem like a lot of people, but it’s not actually a zerg event. Zerging each event scales them too high and makes them harder to do efficiently. Instead, you need to have people organized and communicating, going back and forth to events that need help, getting the bonus on the events (which is something new) to get more rep with the Zephyrites.

Getting lockpicks and new recipes for less geodes, plus the events that only spawn at Tier 4 and 5 (plus the bonus in geodes you receive for events) makes it a good zone to hang out in.

It’s fun to try to push the envelope and get to Tier 5 (which only happens rarely but it does happen).

By themselves none of the events are spectucular (though some are interesting) but the sum total of the result is greater than the sum of its parts.

I agree with you that the new tier system in Dry Top is a neat idea. It promotes as sense of teamwork and rewards everyone for working together. But what happens when someone new comes along and players migrate to that? What happens when a player can’t get the rewards they want because there aren’t enough people in the zone to reach the tier at which the reward is locked.

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

Here we go with yet another topic that every day and the same thing, tired of it all the days, unfortunately our community and really bad and it hurts the game as new players want to know how and when the game and enter the forum and the same litany of ever (the game is empty, has no content and bla bla bla) I wonder if any of those people who beats his chest and says the game is void has some reading about it, before the megaservidor Dill opened the the servers that were already high cap now has 3 full again, and it is empty? this defendant and the players? some of you have the numbers played by the server? The simple fact of the list of offline friend of you this does not mean that the game is empty and people will come so if anyone of you is a database that tells me this game please post empty, with numbers and not come to me with google saying that the game died of Anet want relatorio you guys have? I think not.

NOTE: GW2 already sold 3.8 million copies in china in 2 months and a half.

actually the game is dying

:/

http://ptrealms.com/gw2/conteudos.php?id=5166

I agree with you. There is too much negativity garnered very often with fairy tales and untruth.

In regard to the article. People misinterpreted data wrong and the press played Chinese whispers with the data.

In China we have currently around 4 million created characters not accounts/sold copies.

Vayne.8563

I agree with you that the new tier system in Dry Top is a neat idea. It promotes as sense of teamwork and rewards everyone for working together. But what happens when someone new comes along and players migrate to that? What happens when a player can’t get the rewards they want because there aren’t enough people in the zone to reach the tier at which the reward is locked.

They can still get rewards though, just more slowly. Because you can still buy the stuff for geodes, it’ll just take longer. That’s the brilliance of it. And guilds can still do it. People can advertise for groups to do it. It’s group content that’s more casual than the Triple Threat, something this game needed. I’m pretty sure a group of fifty people could hit tier 3 or 4.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

What i really don’t understand is the logic behind thinking that more people come back
if they have to pay 40 bucks or whatever for an expansion instead of getting content for free.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Vayne.8563

What i really don’t understand is the logic behind thinking that more people come back
if they have to pay 40 bucks or whatever for an expansion instead of getting content for free.

An expansion can be hyped a lot more than the living story. All sorts of speculation about what’s in such a big package. Hyping something is what magazine sites do and people hype themselves as well. So yes, it will bring more people back to the game than the living story.

I can’t imagine any reason why it wouldn’t.

wasted.6817

No one saw it coming is my point.

It had to go live for that to develop. That’s a whole lot of wasted development time.

I understand. But my point is that they had it coming, as soon as they made a map which was out of the usual WvW score system, the issue became glaring. Same would happen to any of the existing WvW maps, put EB in place of EotM, everyone will start running in circles (they often do it even as it is), with stronger side making raids on SM to farm some loot bags etc. And PTS didn’t help with that, but it helped with other things. Was it a wasted dev. time? That’s probably for them to answer.

@ Marcelinho.3190

You’re not helping. Some, if not most, of the OP’s points are quiet valid issues/concerns, it would be wise to devs to pay attention, nothing wrong with that. Your input, however, is equals to zero, and, actually, can only hurt, if anything.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I dont know that an expansion would bring more people back than a well done LS season, but it doesn’t seem unlikely that it would bring more back at once.
————————————————————————————————————————

As to fault for the EotM concerns:

Both Anet and players have a hand in that issue. Part of game design, or any software for that matter, is predicting how the product will perform in the real world, with real customers/users. If there is a pattern of a certain, “problem,” such as Karma trains, in the product then releasing a patch for the product that makes that problem easier to occur is a bit off. Now of course that assumes that Anet considers trains to be a problem. But, if X is a problem in your software then expansions to that software should include counters to X not design that further enables X.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

actually, with this game.. sometimes i do think that…

~Mounts

so much upvote, not even funny…

we’re in season 2 now, an improved season 1.. so anyone who has been around knows what to expect for the next couple of months.. it’s ultimately arena net’s decision to follow with a season 3 or an expansion.. sadly, i’ve been on since launch and i commend all the improvements living world has accomplished.. but i’m not overly enthusiastic about delving into this season.. i do notice an increase in open world LFG, so i can only assume new players are enjoying the content.. as for this tired and undead thread, which is so original it has us facedesking.. gw2 offering niche mmo features will not determine whether or not it brings back players or retains new ones.. there’s a dynamic of depth and complexity which drives successful mmos.. it’s something arena net needs to drastically improve on {whether future installments include an expansion or a season 3} if they intend to perpetuate a hearty congregation of players

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Vayne.8563

I agree with some of what the OP is asking for and I disagree with other things. However, I think people ask for all this stuff and haven’t calculated the amount of time it takes to put them all in game, nor do they take into account that Anet may have plans of their own. I’m not so sure I’d want to take them away from what they’re working on to do other stuff, just because it’s in other games.

I know a lot of people are disappointed by stuff in the game, but the Dry Top map has been pretty well received over all and shows what the design team is capable of. I’d like to give them a bit of leeway to see where they can take it.

The best stuff in games is often the stuff we didn’t see coming.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I’m not so sure I’d want to take them away from what they’re working on to do other stuff, just because it’s in other games.

I think that you will find that people request things not because they are in other games but because they want them. Their realization that they like something or want it may come from having experienced it in another game, but the enjoyment is what they are after. If something’s existence in another game was in itself the reason it was being suggested then people would be suggesting things that they did not like in other games as well as things they liked.

Vayne.8563

I’m not so sure I’d want to take them away from what they’re working on to do other stuff, just because it’s in other games.

I think that you will find that people request things not because they are in other games but because they want them. Their realization that they like something or want it may come from having experienced it in another game, but the enjoyment is what they are after. If something’s existence in another game was in itself the reason it was being suggested then people would be suggesting things that they did not like in other games as well as things they liked.

But people also ask for stuff they have no idea how painful it would be to develop. Like being able to put houses anywhere in the world. How would that work with the megaserver? It couldn’t at all.

Everyone asks for stuff they want. Most people don’t stop to think about whether it’s possible or the downside to the game. I want lots of stuff that it wouldn’t be practical to put in this particular game.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Some people request stuff .. and other people maybe don’t want that stuff at all.

I just say : mounts, duelz, open-pvp, raids → endless gear-grind

If ANet implements everything that some people want they mostly will shy away more people than they keep.

Ahh … maybe i should create a thread that i want travel-powers instead of mounts

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Sad Swordfish.9743

Sad Swordfish.9743

People also chew through traditional expansions and then never return until a new one comes out.

This is just the way it is. You would need to make some sort of meta-game in a sandbox setting were competing players through political/economic/power/crafting/strategy fights each other. if there is a system to support this sort of eco-system, a game plays itself and you wont be begging for content.

Its just really really hard to do. We havent really seen that since the original SWG, though Archeage is trying to do some of the same things. get in prison for killing unarmed players, make a farm and grow lifestock and sell for profit. become a politician, or make siege warfare.

wasted.6817

People also chew through traditional expansions and then never return until a new one comes out.

This is just the way it is.

That’s not true. Expansion is not just a handful of new maps to explore and then move on. New PvP modes, farmable dungeons, areas, skins etc., many people will stay in those activities for various reasons, that’s how it was in GW1, that’s how it is in WoW, some will chew through and go, some will stay. And what kind of argument is that anyway. So let’s all stay in LA, play TP, play same old 2 WvW maps, play same old, the only one, half- kitten d PvP mode and farm Tequatl to death, and continue running CoF p1, again and again, because you know, no point in making expansion, ppl will just chew through it.

Vayne.8563

That’s not true. Expansion is not just a handful of new maps to explore and then move on. New PvP modes, farmable dungeons, areas, skins etc., many people will stay in those activities for various reasons, that’s how it was in GW1, that’s how it is in WoW, some will chew through and go, some will stay. And what kind of argument is that anyway. So let’s all stay in LA, play TP, play same old 2 WvW maps, play same old, the only one, half- kitten d PvP mode and farm Tequatl to death, and continue running CoF p1, again and again, because you know, no point in making expansion, ppl will just chew through it.

I certainly remember people complaining about Factions when that came out and again when Eye of the North came out about them being far too short. There were other complaints about them as well.

Not to say they didn’t give a of content, but plenty of people played them for a month or two and vanished. And each game as it came out, lost part of it’s audience.

When Factions came out and interfered with what had been relatively balanced PvP, a lot of Pvpers got fed up and complained. Some left. When Nightfall came out, a lot of people complained about heroes and how the world would be empty and no one would play with anyone else. Others said Anet put heroes in because less people were playing and grouping over all. People wanted to solo. It caused another divide in the community.

When Eye of the North came out, the PvP players were definitely starting to feel ignored and talked about it at great length. A lot of people also complained it was too hard. Again the player base was divided.

Yes, I agree there was a lot of content. But it didn’t mean that people necessarily stayed with the game because of it. Plenty of people only played Prophecies. My own sons played some Prophecies, got bored, came back for Factions, but never got interested in it enough to get Nightfall.

wasted.6817

@Vayne.8563

Well, there’s no relatively balanced PvP in this game, so no worries there, GW2 in terms of PvP nowhere near where GW1, even after interfering expansions, was. So in this case, expansion could do some good for GW2, but of course, PvP could be redeemed without expansion as well.

Some people complained, some didn’t stick (who probably wouldn’t stick anyway, like your son), but at the same time new communities were formed (Deep/Urgoz, DoA) some old players came back, and for those who never left, there were lots of new impressions.

Community will always be divided in some way and part, if you’re so concerned about it, why making PvE, PvP, WvW and not only that, but make them so separated as they’re in Gw2? There’s no logic in that.

It’s not a sandbox game, the only way to go is to form strong playerbase in PvE/PvP/WvW. That’s how i see it. And expansion can help here. Obviously, only a good one xP, no need to continue bombarding me with “bad examples”.

Vayne.8563

@Vayne.8563

Well, there’s no relatively balanced PvP in this game, so no worries there, GW2 in terms of PvP nowhere near where GW1, even after interfering expansions, was. So in this case, expansion could do some good for GW2, but of course, PvP could be redeemed without expansion as well.

Some people complained, some didn’t stick (who probably wouldn’t stick anyway, like your son), but at the same time new communities were formed (Deep/Urgoz, DoA) some old players came back, and for those who never left, there were lots of new impressions.

Community will always be divided in some way and part, if you’re so concerned about it, why making PvE, PvP, WvW and not only that, but make them so separated as they’re in Gw2? There’s no logic in that.

It’s not a sandbox game, the only way to go is to form strong playerbase in PvE/PvP/WvW. That’s how i see it. And expansion can help here. Obviously, only a good one xP, no need to continue bombarding me with “bad examples”.

I’m just saying people keep saying everyone will come back for an expansion. An expansion is a risk. Some are successful and some aren’t. Chanting expansion, expansion, expansion over and over again doesn’t guarantee success by any means.

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

Mounts and marriage. You genuinely think those two aspects will bring people back. The game is a shoddy, bug-ridden mess that caters to the lowest common denominator and the gem store BUT AS SOON AS YOU CAN RIDE TO A WEDDING, THAT’S ALRIGHT!

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

Mounts and marriage. You genuinely think those two aspects will bring people back. The game is a shoddy, bug-ridden mess that caters to the lowest common denominator and the gem store BUT AS SOON AS YOU CAN RIDE TO A WEDDING, THAT’S ALRIGHT!

NO to either. Mounts are a waste of developers resources and if you think clipping is bad now, wait for mounts and hear the people whine about that. Marriage is just dumb in a game – I don’t get it.

GW2 is not a sub game where people leave and never come back. It seems people come and go – that is not a problem.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Games generally have an expansion 6 months to a year after a game is released in some way or some form, plus the silence of the developers and the staff at arena net is the biggest issue we have here.

This is a bit of a misconception. Expansions sometimes weren’t released until a year or more later. Years ago in the industry, they did things more “honestly” (in my opinion). They developed the original game in it’s entirety and then released it. ONLY then did they start making the expansion or sequel. Nowadays (in the last 10 years) they started developing expansions and DLC before the original game even came out. This has led developers to start dissecting their games and selling off parts of them post-launch for extra cash. That is why you see day 1 DLC and expansions as early as 6 months later. It is also why you see recent games coming with less content and unfinished features.

I mean it took WoW 3 years to launch it’s first true expansion, but everyone glosses over that and says GW2 is “waaaaaaayyyy overdue” for an expansion.

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

OP, you invalidate your entire post when you bring up tired old crap like mounts and GvG.

Mounts don’t even count as actual content, that’s a feature.

(edited by calyx.9086)

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

~Expansion pack (Cantha, Elona, maybe a new one we haven’t seen in gw1 before)

I know what’s a great idea! Let’s not explore the rest of Tyria and just go to a different continent. This totally isn’t about a desire to re-experience my past in a completely different game.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You know….that’s how it was in GW1, and that’s how it is in Guild Wars Two!

Some people go and some people stay. In fact, there seems to be a goodly amount of people who stay, and if they don’t stay, they come to the forums to talk about it. ; )

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

In the good old days when Guild Wars was young, I bought a second account because at the time there was no way to buy extra character slots. I did this because am an ‘altoholic’, big time. When the subsequent campaigns and the Eye of the North expansion came along, I bought two copies of each – and extra character slots for both accounts.

I would buy an expansion for GW2 in a heartbeat, provided it contained the equivalent of GW2’s initial release content – which held me for over a year, until the ongoing nonsense (hint: opinion) that was the first chapter of the so called Living Story prompted me to seek MMO-style fun elsewhere.

I’m watching LS2, and while it’s better in many ways than LS1, it’s still not looking like it’s going to deliver what I want. Which is a Royal Banquet, like a food and drink scene out of a George R.R. Martin Song of Ice and Fire novel. Living Story is, at best, the gaming equivalent of a Happy Meal.

“Yay.”

The table is a fable.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Stopped reading at this point "mini pet fighting arena _

Posted by: Xiem.4719

Xiem.4719

Logged back after few months, played for about 2h, finished LS (part 1&2), did most of new achievements. See you guys again in 6 months, maybe then ill be able to play for 3 hours! =)

Posted by: Arianhod.3485

Arianhod.3485

o/ cya, we’ll be expecting you! /doesn’tgetsarcasm

It’s a-me, Aria!

Posted by: BumbleBee.8456

BumbleBee.8456

actually, with this game.. sometimes i do think that…

~Mounts

so much upvote, not even funny…

we’re in season 2 now, an improved season 1.. so anyone who has been around knows what to expect for the next couple of months.. it’s ultimately arena net’s decision to follow with a season 3 or an expansion.. sadly, i’ve been on since launch and i commend all the improvements living world has accomplished.. but i’m not overly enthusiastic about delving into this season.. i do notice an increase in open world LFG, so i can only assume new players are enjoying the content.. as for this tired and undead thread, which is so original it has us facedesking.. gw2 offering niche mmo features will not determine whether or not it brings back players or retains new ones.. there’s a dynamic of depth and complexity which drives successful mmos.. it’s something arena net needs to drastically improve on {whether future installments include an expansion or a season 3} if they intend to perpetuate a hearty congregation of players

cheshirefox I think you have hit the nail on the head with this. I recently put a post up regarding being slightly disillusioned with the business model anet have got.

High level simple terms…
The game is built for casual players, funds are based on micro transactions, in my opinion hard core gamers spend hard earned cash on gems, not the casual players.
So how does that business model make sense.

Why on earth these guys are not doing both I don’t know. Give us some hard core content, keep the living story going and release a few new skills. One skill for each profession cleverly done introduces opportunities for new builds and combinations. Satisfy casual and hard core gamers.

And by the way, anyone out there that has run a business knows full well that radio silence is marketing suicide. Every top MMO announces content releases…apart from GW2.

IMHO I think there is something bigger going on. What that is I don’t know but its very unusual for a global company to keep so very quiet.

p.s. I am finding it increasingly amusing that every GW2 Tuesday release there seems to be a Wildstar release. And yeah…Wildstar announces what’s coming!