Loosing out on stats because of your class

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sxalpha.5063

Sxalpha.5063

So Warriors get ~80% more hp than us Guardians but we have the same toughness. Warriors are meant to have more base hp than us because we supposedly have more heals and mitigation than warriors.

Shout heal builds from warriors can be compared to Mediation heal builds

AH build can be compared to banner + adrenaline + signet heal (3 passive heals – regen (boon), sigent heal / second and adrenaline heal/ 3 or so seconds)

Sure guardians have blinds, blocks and 1 invulnerability
Warriors have 3 second blocks, Endure pains, whirling evade,

So we have similar heals to a warrior, but now what about damage? Warriors have a higher DPS and that is a given with 100HB + axe auto attack + easy might stacks + vulnerable stacking + FURY

So we have auto attacks, empower,…. whirling wrath?

So since we have worse DPS, shouldn’t we have a higher base power stat?

It is really unfair that I have to trade off 800 stats just to have a base stat of a warrior’s and then I’ll still have worse DPS with less stats to use into damage.

Sure its not as bad being a light armor class where u only have to trade off 300 stats to match a heavy class, but light armor classes have their ways of making up for their loss in armor which is much more obvious (say illusions, death shroud, and water attunements)

Im feeling really bad for elementalists that need to trade off ~1100 stats just to match a Warriors BASE stats.

I think they should have base power stats as well to balance classes out.

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

While I agree that an 80% difference in base HP is problematic for the game’s balance I can’t follow your line of reasoning.

Especially the fact that your are using a Guardian, arguably the most durable profession in game, as a point of comparison.

Posted by: Dradiin.8935

Dradiin.8935

Correct me if I am wrong, a warrior has to give up alot of defense to get the huge dps?

Sxalpha.5063

While I agree that an 80% difference in base HP is problematic for the game’s balance I can’t follow your line of reasoning.

Especially the fact that your are using a Guardian, arguably the most durable profession in game, as a point of comparison.

I compared it to the guardian because both warriors and guardians have the same base toughness. Although guardians can be the most durable profession in the game, so can warriors, necromancers, elementalists (despite the fact they have so much stat disadvantage).

I’m just dissapointed that because of class A has less defensive skills than class B, class A has a buff in HP for free. So if class B had less offensive skills than class A, shouldn’t class B have a buff in Damage for free?

Correct me if I am wrong, a warrior has to give up alot of defense to get the huge dps?

Yes but they start off with 18,000 HP and ~2.1k toughness so they don’t have to spend as much stat points into HP and toughness as other classes for the SAME stats, even with the SAME stats, warriors still will have higher DPS than any other class so shouldn’t other classes start off with say eg. 300+ more attack?

(edited by Sxalpha.5063)

Posted by: Silver.8023

Silver.8023

I find the problem is not so much with the health as it is with the melee effectiveness, as both are designed to be most efficient in melee range. Regardless of durability, Warrior is far better equipped for keeping targets in (or out) of melee range. They also get better ranged damage as Guardian’s ranged is laughable but that’s another thread.
If anyone is interested in my thoughts on the matter, I made a thread discussing it here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/Comparison-of-soldier-s-melee-effectiveness/first

Silver Stormshield – Guardian
Kaimoon Blade – Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Gisei.5749

Gisei.5749

The health is what balances the professions, not unbalances them.

It’s pretty balanced in the end though. Guardians can reach levels of regen that a Warrior can never hope for. By the time a Guardian with 14k health is taken down, he’s probably burned through 30k+ hp. If my Guardian is in a crowd, my regen can exceed 3k a second, though I can’t maintain that for long.

Anyways, could you imagine a Guardian with nearly 30k health? Or how easy a Warrior with 14k would be?

Lowering the Guardian’s health allows Anet to justify making them so tough.

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Also remember, not just individually, but Guardians can mitigate damage of their entire party, something that Warriors can’t.

Sxalpha.5063

The health is what balances the professions, not unbalances them.

It’s pretty balanced in the end though. Guardians can reach levels of regen that a Warrior can never hope for. By the time a Guardian with 14k health is taken down, he’s probably burned through 30k+ hp. If my Guardian is in a crowd, my regen can exceed 3k a second, though I can’t maintain that for long.

Anyways, could you imagine a Guardian with nearly 30k health? Or how easy a Warrior with 14k would be?

Lowering the Guardian’s health allows Anet to justify making them so tough.

Have you ever played a warrior? Warriors have just as much healing as guardians, if not more, their 8k heal which is nearly the same as our signet of resolve is on a 30 second cooldown instead of a 40 second cooldown guardian’s signets have. They have a trait that is easliy accessed to give as much passive regen as our virtue regen, their shouts heal more than our shouts with AH ever will without reaching out to 5 people because guardian’s shout range is pitful compared to the warriors shout range which is much larger and their shouts heal allies aswell. If you swap the warriors healing surge to the signet, thats another regen. you can also trait banners to give regen which can give the whole party perm regen. Right now it looks like warriors have more health regeneration than the guardian.

So when u say that guardians have an ideal 30k hp, warriors have 38k.. "Guardians can reach levels of regen that a Warrior can never hope for. " is completely false as mentioned above… Warriors get 3 passive regens so…

Posted by: Asum.4960

Asum.4960

It’s even more frustrating if you compare Warriors and Thieves.

Thieves have (1) stealth and a bit (2) better out of combat mobility (no, it’s not a lot, as Thief i dream to have Warriors perma swiftness instead of having to waste my Initative on mobility, instead of actually using it to fight).

Warriors have (1) 100% more base HP and (2) a higher armor class, (3) easier access to boons, (4) better controll abilities, (5) way more dps and (6) higher burst than Thieves, with less sacrifices to get that damage.

And then you have to deal with people claiming your obviously inferior profession be overpowered, while you have to play 3 times as good as other players just to be equal to their professions.

The difference of 1000 Vitality between Guardians, but especially Thieves and Elementalists compared to Necromancers, but especially Warrios is just way to high, and has no downside.

They get 1000 Stat points into Vitality for free, which is basically a main stat effort, without having to suffer from lower movement speed, armor or damage at all.

While Guardians can kind of compensate for that massive HP disadvantage with boons, heals and heavy armor, Thieves are desperate stuck in glass cannon roles, since what ever they do, they never will be able to get tanky, or even well balanced in stats with 10k base HP, medium armor, rare healing and non-existent boons.

It’s either “kitten it, I gonna go on burst”, or being useless.

//E:

And no, 3s stealths don’t compensate for 10000 HP. In no universe.
Pretty sure that’ gonna come up.

(edited by Asum.4960)

Sxalpha.5063

It’s even more frustrating if you compare Warriors and Thieves.

Thieves have (1) stealth and a bit (2) better out of combat mobility (no, it’s not a lot, as Thief i dream to have Warriors perma swiftness instead of having to waste my Initative on mobility, instead of actually using it to fight).

Warriors have (1) 100% more base HP and (2) a higher armor class, (3) easier access to boons, (4) better controll abilities, (5) way more dps and (6) higher burst than Thieves, with less sacrifices to get that damage.

And then you have to deal with people claiming your obviously inferior profession be overpowered, while you have to play 3 times as good as other players just to be equal to their professions.

The difference of 1000 Vitality between Guardians, but especially Thieves and Elementalists compared to Necromancers, but especially Warrios is just way to high, and has no downside.

They get 1000 Stat points into Vitality for free, which is basically a main stat effort, without having to suffer from lower movement speed, armor or damage at all.

While Guardians can kind of compensate for that massive HP disadvantage with boons, heals and heavy armor, Thieves are desperate stuck in glass cannon roles, since what ever they do, they never will be able to get tanky, or even well balanced in stats with 10k base HP, medium armor, rare healing and non-existent boons.

It’s either “kitten it, I gonna go on burst”, or being useless.

//E:

And no, 3s stealths don’t compensate for 10000 HP. In no universe.
Pretty sure that’ gonna come up.

I stated that in my post and completely agree that theives are stuck in the glass roll no matter what. I’m stuck at a measly 13k hp or so. Essentially, 8k HP is ALOT of hp, and can tank a theif’s burst. So while theives and guardians get Steal>CnD> Backstab > Heartseeker and die instantly, warriors can survive this and thieves end up doing more heartseekers and the warrior then can react… With no disadvantage at ALL, free survivability i would say. 8k HP is just too much of a difference.

Also remember, not just individually, but Guardians can mitigate damage of their entire party, something that Warriors can’t.

did you even read my post? Warriors do have mitigation… Moreover, they have much more offensive mitigation (stuns, knockbacks etc.) which in all is more effective than a simple blind.

Posted by: Churros.7196

Churros.7196

Go to spvp and see which one lasts longer. A bunker guardian or a bunker warrior..

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Of course, the guardian doesn’t just have damage mitigation as a native stat, but also blocks periodically, far more than the warrior does. I’ve played a warrior to max level, and I’m leveling a guardian now, who’s level 52.

Basically, my guardian is more survivable than my warrior by far. Not a little. A lot. Stuff that would burn through my warrior, my guardian takes without thinking.

I don’t think guardians are underpowered compared to warriors. I think they’re different professions with different advantges and disadvantages.

One of the things a guardian brings to the table is the ability to protect others in their party, something a warrior has a much harder time doing. Guardians are more about support than warriors. Sure you can build a support warrior, but I can tell you now that it will never be as strong as a support guardian.

You’re viewing this equation in the very simplest terms. Given a choice between the two, as they stand now, I find the guardian far more useful than my warrior, and far more survivable.

Just the fact that I can use blind every time I use virtue of justice, which resets every time I kill a foe is a huge mitigating factor.

You can’t just just a profession by looking at the part of it you want to focus on. There’s a much broader picture here.

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

did you even read my post? Warriors do have mitigation… Moreover, they have much more offensive mitigation (stuns, knockbacks etc.) which in all is more effective than a simple blind.

I’m hard-pressed to think of Warrior equivalent of Wall of Reflection, Shield of Absorption, and Shield of the Avenger. Also I wasn’t aware Warriors could apply party-wide protection and aegis?

Silver.8023

Being able to take a lot of damage is quite different to being able to keep foes in range long enough to do any real damage to them. Warriors are easily capable of keeping close range to a foe but if someone is determined to get away from a Guardian, they will.
The extra kick in the teeth with regard to that is that Guardians can’t do anything at long range either while Warriors can quite easily.

So really, what are Guardians? Party buffing punching bags. I still really like Guardians but I don’t see why they have to be so poor at keeping foes in melee just because they have good support options, both Warrior and Guardian were designed to be more effective in melee range and only one can maintain it.

Kaimoon Blade – Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Guardian =/= other game’s Paladins. You can play them as such (why not?) but don’t expect the same stuff (such as high vitality) to carry over to this game.

Think it through. If the Guardian had “Soldier’s Vitality” (meaning, the highest vitality among classes just as most heavy armor characters in most games) they would have many people complaining about Guardian being an overpowered class-and rightly so, because it would be. Many people who like to play “what’s more powerful” rather than what’s more fun for them would be totally ignoring warrior, even with Warrior having better offensive capabilities on the whole. No way a high hit points Guardian makes things “more balanced” or “fair”, but would actually cause balance issues all over-just consider it a different class, rather than expecting a traditional “soldier” out of it.

Posted by: Rampage.7145

Rampage.7145

Guardian has retaliation and, protection, regeneration, warriors don’t i play both and a guardian even while having lower HP can survive a lot more than a warrior overall, guardians don’t really need a huge HP pool, since they have a lot defenses, boons and condition removal, warrior lacks of most of this things. a guardian buffing his party with retaliation can deal even more damage than a full berserker warrior in most group vs group situations. Why do u think warriors don’t have any viable PVP builds? while guardians have at least 3 or 4?
A warrior shout build can hardlly be compared with a meditation build, if u play warrior u would understand why. I play them both and honestly besides showing higher numbers on the screen when i hit something, there is nothing my warrior can do better than my guardian.

Posted by: Gisei.5749

Gisei.5749

Sounds to me like a Warrior has to go quite a bit out of their way to obtain all these heals and mitigation. Something a Guardian gets just for being a Guardian.

But alas, I have no first hand experience with Warriors. I also have never experienced a Warrior that could come anywhere near close to victory in a battle of attrition with me.

As for Thieves, my Thief is far from “Glass Cannon”. Not a drop of Power, Precision, or Critical Damage here. Not a drop of Vitality either. All Apothecary, and it works wonders. I survive through stealth, a bunch of little 3-4s stealths that make all the difference.

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

Posted by: Clyne.9038

Clyne.9038

So Warriors get ~80% more hp than us Guardians but we have the same toughness. Warriors are meant to have more base hp than us because we supposedly have more heals and mitigation than warriors.

Shout heal builds from warriors can be compared to Mediation heal builds

AH build can be compared to banner + adrenaline + signet heal (3 passive heals – regen (boon), sigent heal / second and adrenaline heal/ 3 or so seconds)

Sure guardians have blinds, blocks and 1 invulnerability
Warriors have 3 second blocks, Endure pains, whirling evade,

So we have similar heals to a warrior, but now what about damage? Warriors have a higher DPS and that is a given with 100HB + axe auto attack + easy might stacks + vulnerable stacking + FURY

So we have auto attacks, empower,…. whirling wrath?

So since we have worse DPS, shouldn’t we have a higher base power stat?

It is really unfair that I have to trade off 800 stats just to have a base stat of a warrior’s and then I’ll still have worse DPS with less stats to use into damage.

Sure its not as bad being a light armor class where u only have to trade off 300 stats to match a heavy class, but light armor classes have their ways of making up for their loss in armor which is much more obvious (say illusions, death shroud, and water attunements)

Im feeling really bad for elementalists that need to trade off ~1100 stats just to match a Warriors BASE stats.

I think they should have base power stats as well to balance classes out.

You fail at balance.

Silver.8023

A warrior shout build can hardly be compared with a meditation build.

That’s correct because a Warrior shout build would heal up to five allies around the Warrior for a decent amount. Sorry, couldn’t help myself heheh.

I think what it boils down to is a matter of trade-offs.

- Guardians have better support and survivability offset by lower maximum health and generally less damage than Warriors. Seems balanced to me.
- Warriors have less support and survivability offset by higher maximum health and generally higher damage than Guardians. Seems balanced to me.

Guardian can still do damage. Not as easily as Warrior.
Warrior can still provide team support. Not as easily as Guardian.
(Keep in mind that support doesn’t end simply at the amount of green numbers a profession can put out)

I feel the health/damage/support of both professions quite balanced if you ask me, given the trade-offs. So now, if that isn’t the issue in my opinion, what is? If you ask me, it’s how the weapons work and what I consider fun.
Do you know what I find really fun with weapons across any profession? I’ll make a tiny list.

- Being able to keep your target relatively within the intended range of the weapon through skillful application of its skills and positioning.
- When you can use combo finishers with what you or others are doing in different situations to great effect.
- Having various trait synergy options available so the same weapon can behave differently in different builds.
- Being able to use pretty much whatever weapon combination you want to use, within reason.

Out of those four points, I think the Warrior scores much higher than the Guardian. I could go on in more detail in regard to that but I think it would warrant a whole other thread…

Kaimoon Blade – Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

its the Paladin Mindset as I call it.

Although the class is not called Paladins, its the same general MMO developer’s mindset when it comes to balancing it. Even if that rule for balancing it doesnt make sense in action.

same thing happen in WoW and Rift. dont expect this to ever change in a MMO until a developer recondition that just because a class is a Paladin archetype doesnt mean it need to be gimp compared to other classes that fill similar roles.

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

Engi, ranger, necro will all cry quietly in the corner until some day the devs decide to take pity on them.

Posted by: JarXLite.6720

JarXLite.6720

I think guardians deserve more credit. Guardians are one of the few classes in my experience that can build tanky DPS and can keep both the support/tankiness and the DPS aspect at levels on par with other classes and builds who are only able to build for one of those.

A hammer guardian can keep nearly 100% protection uptime for everyone in his symbols. That’s a nearly permanent 33% damage reduction on an auto attack chain. Stability is one of the rarest boons found in the game, but the guardian skill hallowed ground is an AoE 8 seconds of stability for everyone around you! It’s even a fire combo field!

My hammer guardian can keep up ~10 stacks of might for myself and ALL of my teammates while giving almost infinite protection if they stand in his symbols, while giving everyone around him stability and a fire combo field for burning and AoE might with my blast finisher, and I get healed for 77hp every single time I give a boon to anyone around me, not to mention shouts which also give boons to everyone around me.

Tainir
IoJ commander
[HARD]

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

Yeah.

Guardians excel at being tanky DPS. They can provide really nice support for the group, tank bosses and still do decent damage. Basically running a dungeon without competent guardian is not comfortable for me anymore.

Warrior are much more specialized. And all their health doesn’t mean a thing when boss can two-shot you.

EU Aurora Glade

Posted by: CoaxialMazer.9140

CoaxialMazer.9140

Warrior with base stats in terms of vitality/toughness would melt like butter to 2-3 mobs…. I got just one thing for you, protection <—

Give warrior that boon, and ill trade you 8k hp. Fair deal? i dont even want the aegis. Just give me protection. Forget even the passive regen.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Very odd do you guys post in tandem?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Professions-base-stats/first#post1362043
Any way guard has a lot of build in blocks, blocks that can heal you and heals that can block lol. Look at it this way guard gets a lot more out of healing power then say a War making up well over for the lost of hp you just got to have better timing for your heals to get the most hp out of a heal.

(same post as the link but a link to the other pages vs a link to this one)

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Silver.8023

Guardian is great at team support, yes, that’s one of the reasons it’s my favourite profession. I don’t see why that means they don’t get cripples in weapon abilities though (every other profession gets them). Considering the trade-off for lots of healing and support is really the low health pool anyway (and the mediocre, at best, ranged damage).

Kaimoon Blade – Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: demonwing.5843

demonwing.5843

Warriors are paper in sPvP/WvW whereas Guardians are unkillable monstrosities. Not sure where you are getting your info from. . .

PvE is so easy that any class excels (except maybe engi who is just a broken class imo)

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

Warrior with base stats in terms of vitality/toughness would melt like butter to 2-3 mobs…. I got just one thing for you, protection <—

Give warrior that boon, and ill trade you 8k hp. Fair deal? i dont even want the aegis. Just give me protection. Forget even the passive regen.

Ummm I never melted like butter on my warrior. In full beserkers I can kill 3+ mobs way faster than they can kill me. Their mobility as well helps in survivability. I never toyed around with making a healing/survivable warrior build so I don’t know just how survivable they can be, but I can say that their base damage is hands down above all the other classes I’ve played(Thief 80, Necro 80, Elementalist 80, Engineer 80, Mesmer 32, Guardian 63) and it’s still pretty dang survivable.

I think the major point of the thread though is that it’s quite dumb that there is such a huge gap in health/armor for some classes. I’ve been saying the same since day 1. Make all armor types available to all classes with pros or cons associated with them(heavy= more armor mitigation, light= faster endurance regen, medium= faster heal cooldowns). Then jut give everyone the same base health, if they want to be more tanky let them go into the vitality/toughness line or get vit/toughness gear. Then with an even starting platform they can actually start balancing classes for damage, mitigation(protection like you want), etc. They wanted to do away with the 3 class roles(healer, tank, dps) but with the current classes/armor/health there are definite tanks, healers, and DPS.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

cut

Health pool is meaningless in GW2.

My Thief lasts more than my Guard and my Guard lasts more than my War.
Survivability in this game is not achieved by taking hits to your healthpool, but not taking them at all.

Warriors have the worst tools to mitigate damage.
Thief can be immortal through stealthing, evading and dodging, Guardian has 12s of invul plus protection (which is basically like +33% health) and many ways of healing/negating hits (Aegis/Blind).
Warrior has nothing outside a couple very short invuls.
Even rangers get longer invul than Warriors.

But with time you’ll realize all this and understand that the only real pro of taking a Warrior is the crazy DPS it deals – outside of that, Warrior is inferior to all other classes by a large degree in all sectors.

Posted by: Churros.7196

Churros.7196

Warriors are paper in sPvP/WvW whereas Guardians are unkillable monstrosities. Not sure where you are getting your info from. . .

PvE is so easy that any class excels (except maybe engi who is just a broken class imo)

Actually the engi class itself is not broken if you build grenades…. just that your fingers will be broken after a dungeon run.

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

its the Paladin Mindset as I call it.

Although the class is not called Paladins, its the same general MMO developer’s mindset when it comes to balancing it. Even if that rule for balancing it doesnt make sense in action.

same thing happen in WoW and Rift. dont expect this to ever change in a MMO until a developer recondition that just because a class is a Paladin archetype doesnt mean it need to be gimp compared to other classes that fill similar roles.

On the contrary, it’s the Paladin-mindset that makes some people to expect the Guardian to have high vitality, as the usual Paladin does. However, it’s a Guardian, not a Paladin, so it’s perfectly OK.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

I’ll trade you the worthless, long cooldown 3 sec shield block for aegis, any day, and throw in 8k health to boot.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

also, there’s no way for a warrior to reliable buff aegis and prot and regen to allies, in the same manner its difficult for a guard to reliable stack might and fury. (might is possible with VoJ thingy, but compared to a simple shout for warriors…).

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Sadly for ANet PVE, WVW and SPVP play like 3 different games.

in PVE the enemy is dumb as a brick. Anything short of a dragon can be pushed into a corner by a zerg and basically DPSed into the ground, even with things like Unshakable in play (it basically does nothing against random application of controls as part of the DPS chains, while making a mess out of coordinated applications of same). Never mind basically standing there to take the full GW warrior channel. warriors also get a boost out of the same weapon being a AOE of sorts even on auto attack, making the handling of trash mobs not require kiting.

WVW is a different beast because gameplay is highly variable. You can’t really tell if someone is a upleveled newbie or a 80 in anything short of exotics. Never mind that fighting more than 2 human enemies massively change how you can approach a fight.

SPVP is different from both again, because now you have limited teams, all at best possible gear and all skills at the ready. End result is that the playing field is mirror flat.

The really crazy thing is that what seems to be what ANet focused their balancing around is the game type least played, and the one people reference continually for their balance argument is the one with a 1001 invisible variables affecting the balance experience (and ANet claimed they would never bother attempting to balance for).

In essence, how ANet expected the game to be played, and how it is actually played, are two very different beasts indeed. And ANet is likely scrambling to catch up and rework their schedules to accommodate that difference.

Posted by: Reido Kyuuten.4709

Reido Kyuuten.4709

The people here comparing the survivability of warriors favorably vs guardians and thieves need to roll all 3 classes at 80 in WvW and in PvP.

Guardians are tanks, thieves are glass cannons with stealth and escapability, and warriors are somewhere in the middle with heavier prolonged dps and health but little damage mitigation and escapability. A warrior can be played a few different ways but no one warrior has all (or even usually multiple) of the things that are being complained about.

Also, any guardian worried about dying to a thief needs to learn about vitality and retaliation. Don’t forget about aegis and dodge along with the wall/dome skills either.

(edited by Reido Kyuuten.4709)

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Also, any guardian worried about dying to a thief needs to learn about vitality and retaliation. Don’t forget about aegis and dodge along with the wall/dome skills either.

Vitality sure, but retaliation? Last i checked, retaliation do not reduce damage done, only do damage to any attacker (based on the targets power no less, so the same damage is done to a thieves alpha strike or the elementalists autoattack).

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

You could test this quite easily. Get four people together. Two identical class with similar build/gear. Thief would work well. The last two are warrior guardian, with equivelent endgame gear, both standard bunker build for their class.

This is where the thief preffered comes in. Both bunkers set up mitigation to repel thief burst. Each pairs with one specific thief. Repel the burst and note how much health remains on each bunker. Repeat til you have five readings. Swap thieves to account for any differences in their stats. Then take five more readings each. Find the mean damage from the first five readings, then the second five. Compare.

Due to the nature of combat, conditions for boon activation etc there may be some slight discrepencey but two reasonable guardian and warrior players should be able to work out how to resolve these and retest.

Lets stop guessing if the additional health is necessary and try to test it out. Turn that hypothesis into a theory, people.