Losing track of cursor + terrible tab targeting

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aurrynthea.7581

Aurrynthea.7581

Has this made onto the dev radar yet? I am getting into some serious boss battles without knowing where my mouse is most of the time – someone suggested adding trails but I was thinking maybe in a fight it could change to a crosshairs, as it’s just a battle thing. I’ve also put a tweet up pointing at this thread to @GuildWars2.

I’m not lost, I know exactly where I am…I just didn’t want to be here right now.

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

Happens to me as well. This can be really annoying, since i’am using fast ground targeting. During beta GW2 had this little, neat, beautiful cursor, dark red color, i wonder if it’d be better with that one, compared to what we have now. I wish AN would give us the ability to choose shape and color of some UI elements. Ah, dreams.

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

IMO there should be an option to center the cursor after rotating the camera. That way, you’d always know where it is.

Posted by: han.9042

han.9042

I’m tired of having my rocket targeting the white moa in the Claw of Jormag fights.

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

Same here with the cursor, especially since I use fast ground targetting – have to wave my mouse around to try and spot its movement against the maelstrom of effects. They should have outlining options for cursor. Like a mouse trail, or maybe a negative layering effect (it’s white against black, but black against white, in other words always in sharp contrast against the background).

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

Posted by: pEEtrs.4320

pEEtrs.4320

Well this is exactly what pisses me most on GW2. ANet tried to make combat more FPS-like, yet they didn’t do a kitten about controls.

All I can say about this is: ANet, please download Dungeons and Dragons Online, check how their camera system / targetting system works (especially ability to lock cursor into 3rd person game with crosshair) and implement it for GW2, it will be awsome and it will sort lot of problems. Oh and while you’re at it, check how to do proper control customization, GW2 is like aplha version in these regards.

Posted by: Enmity.3428

Enmity.3428

I also lose my cursor all the time, (forcing me to wiggle my mouse around until I catch it again,) but the worst aspect of this for me is when I unwittingly place the cursor on a weapon skill… and 2 or 3 large, screen-filling tip boxes spring up and block my view of everything. In fact, even when I’m using the cursor in a fight to click attacks, these boxes are so infuriating.

Seriously, how bloody hard would it be to give us an option to TURN OFF THE KITTEN WEAPON TIPS? Months after release and we still don’t have such a basic feature.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Anyone else losing track of their cursor in large scale combat scenarios? I read on some other forums other folks having this same issue in large zergs of spells.

Also tab targeting for me fails constantly. It never correctly cycles outwards, always line of sight or whatever might be hitting me at the moment in the distance; even thought what I want to kill is closest. Someone suggested using the UI enhancement Combat Mode, but I don’t think I should have to use some enhancement like this just to play the game properly.

Another issue I have is the loot particle effects. I brought this up once before but I’m gonna post about it again just to get it out there. It’s hard to see what needs to be looted when it’s just small little gold pixie dust particles up against the shimmer of the sun off water, or whatever environment you are in. I don’t know, could these effect be bigger, different color perhaps?

Dude I completely agree. But they did make adjustments early on and it is MUCH better than it was. My problem was I would have someone targeted, be kiting and click around the screen to pan my camera around, I would lose my target. They made some good adjustments to fix that.

Still, tab targeting does really really and truely utterly suck in this game.
How many times Im mashing Tab, and it either doesnt target anything, or if it does, it never moves onto another mob that is 2 inches away from my current target.

Regarding keeping track of your cursor: With all of the particle effects and aoe going on, I do sometimes spend a few seconds trying to find my cursor in the midst of a battle. It would be nice to be able to see it anywhere on the screen regardless whats going on.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

same here, big problems with mouse pointer and tabbing, so they are two key features that urgently need improvements.
A nice start would be being able to modify pointer’s shape, color, size… then whatever may be added in order to improve its visibility should be added xD

Posted by: sandvich.8259

sandvich.8259

I agree with you OP. Those issues need some improvement.

Posted by: JK Arrow.7102

JK Arrow.7102

I lose my cursor all the time, like it disappears for a while. I thought it was just my PC so sadly I’m glad others have this issue to so it can be fixed. It only becomes really annoying when using skills that are ground targeted.

I too have a hotkey set for closest target and can then tab for next target however it works poorly at best. Closest only targets the closest target in front of you rather than the closest target in proximity. It will select a yellow moa way off in front of you over a red enemy right behind you. There was another thread I read not too long ago that had a nice flow for how the targeting should work.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

When they decided to “re-invent” the mmo it seems ANET failed to consider functional options at all.

Shipping this game in 2012 with minimal UI config options, minimal graphic and particle controls, and a host of other function options missing makes zero sense to me.

No ability to turn off tooltips. No particle slider, no saved settings for UI, no custom UI, no target cursor options, etc etc.

In Everquest 2 I have 5 graphics saved settings, from “Screenshot pretty” to “bare bones Raid” that I can load up depending on the situation I will be in. That is one example. In EQ2 I control the “culling” as in how many chars will be displayed in what texture, at what distance, and what LOD. This is from an 8 year old game, and just the tip of the iceberg as to what you can do in Advanced settings.

On the functionality side, this game is no revolution at all, more like a “one size fits all” fisher price approach. The lack of UI and Graphic customization options was for me, the biggest shock of this game.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Same here. It would be great to see tab-targeting tightened up and a cursor option to make the cursor visible in a sea of particle effects. These are issues that annoy on a daily basis and should be addressed. Odd that you don’t see more posts on this as I think everyone experiences it.

The other great annoyance is the one mentioned about looting resulting in a conversation with an NPC. When you are running through a pile of corpses you really shouldn’t have to hunt for a ‘search’ to appear before you hit the loot key—inefficient. It is very annoying to have to close the npc window over and over.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

The cursor does indeed disappear, it is not a focus problem. The tab targetting is so bad honestly I just clicked my targets instead.

What I find most sad is that I logged in yesterday and the immobilize glitch that has been in the game since beta, is STILL IN THE GAME lol what???

This is a major issue especially in pvp and it’s been 6 months? Really? it happened almost immediately after logging in, too. Of course my friends list was dead and everyone has quit so I logged out in disgust and played tera instead, getting back into that game, it does action combat correctly.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Barfoi.9537

Barfoi.9537

Hmm… I also lose the cursor (during large fights), and have always just shrugged it off as my own lack of focus.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

ANet… I love you like long lost siblings, you know this, and I too lose my cursor. An option to make it really stand out, especially in combat, would be wonderful.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: VictoriousMonk.7150

VictoriousMonk.7150

After 2 months this still hasn’t been fixed nor have they said anything about it. Unless there’s another thread somewhere where they chimed in.

I lose my cursor all the time, like it disappears for a while.

It does disappear for a while. I have to use an AOE to find the stupid thing. If I don’t have one, I’m screwed and I get so mad like that angry German kid.

Posted by: Born.1745

Born.1745

I don’t just lose my cursor, it disappears. I’ve confirmed this over and over, and reported it with steps to repeat as a bug.

Looting needs to be a seperate key bind.

Talking to NPCs needs to be a seperate key bind. I’m in combat… no, I don’t want to talk to you!

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

What I really hate about the targeting system is that when I change targets by clicking on a target and fire off whatever skill I want to use on it the system always targets the previous target. Its frustrating to have 100 blades swinging at the wrong target while being slaughtered by the target you intended to hit.

Posted by: Gwen.7619

Gwen.7619

I have gone down many times due to losing the cursor, for me I just seem to come to a holt while I try to spot where the cursor is, by the time I get the cursor back Its to late I’m down.

An option for color and cursor size would be most welcome, maybe a hot key or a quick double tap of the right mouse button that snaps the cursor to the center of screen with a quick bright flash or two could be very helful when in combat.

Sorry for my English as I’m Dyslexic

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I do frequently. I use a nostromo razer and there’s just not enough buttons honestly to accommodate my needs so I must use my clicker sadly.

I can’t imagine what it’s like for people without pads.

I was thinking of maybe getting one of those game pads for the game, anyone use the xbox controller for theirs?

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: VictoriousMonk.7150

VictoriousMonk.7150

What I really hate about the targeting system is that when I change targets by clicking on a target and fire off whatever skill I want to use on it the system always targets the previous target. Its frustrating to have 100 blades swinging at the wrong target while being slaughtered by the target you intended to hit.

This has happened many times and it’s screwed me many times in Orr with my ranger. I try to go 1 on 1 with the enemy, I target the close one, but then I end up attacking a farther enemy with my bow. All of a sudden I got a whole mob wanting to rip out my guts instead of the 1 I wanted to fight.

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

Yes! This happens all the time.

It seems as if the mouse cursor dissapears behind the game or something – i am using windowed mode, not sure if that makes a difference.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

Posted by: theguf.1650

theguf.1650

I agree with the terrible Tab targeting priority. As a Ranger, it really gets bad, as I can hit things way off screen, thus aggroing stuff when I don’t intend to. I think losing the mouse might be a hardware issue, much like FFXIV had and they fixed. I’ve suffered this TAB problem in other games and it always ticks me off. I’ve been playing with the problem for so long and through other games, I rarely aggro what I don’t want to, but when it does happen, especially in a dungeon, it’s almost embarrassing.

Posted by: buzzkapow.8465

buzzkapow.8465

I could deal with the terrible Tab Targeting, if i could ever find my cursor. I use my mouse to turn, and during big battles it’s very difficult to remember where it was 5 mins ago when i started pushing it. Then when i need to ground target, I spend a couple of precious seconds trying to pick out my cursor. Or when i’m trying to switch targets, and tab targetting fails, takes me a couple seconds to find my cursor so i can target the person right in front of me.

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

I agree with the terrible Tab targeting priority. As a Ranger, it really gets bad, as I can hit things way off screen, thus aggroing stuff when I don’t intend to. I think losing the mouse might be a hardware issue, much like FFXIV had and they fixed. I’ve suffered this TAB problem in other games and it always ticks me off. I’ve been playing with the problem for so long and through other games, I rarely aggro what I don’t want to, but when it does happen, especially in a dungeon, it’s almost embarrassing.

As a Ranger, the tab issue is indeed a pain since I use my mouse’s tilt wheel functions for the F1 and F2 skills and I have Tab mapped to my G13, if I don’t catch it in time, my pet runs into mobs that I don’t want to pull.

Whispers with meat.

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

Well this is exactly what pisses me most on GW2. ANet tried to make combat more FPS-like, yet they didn’t do a kitten about controls.

All I can say about this is: ANet, please download Dungeons and Dragons Online, check how their camera system / targetting system works (especially ability to lock cursor into 3rd person game with crosshair) and implement it for GW2, it will be awsome and it will sort lot of problems. Oh and while you’re at it, check how to do proper control customization, GW2 is like aplha version in these regards.

This is one of the things that bothers me most. I really enjoy the game, but it lacks so many little polished features that any modern MMO should have by default. Some UI customization (not talking about add ons), TP preview, an extra hotbar for food and such without having to open bags, ability to customize chat text colors, ect. There are tons of little things like this that were not included that the game has always felt rushed to market to me.

Posted by: Osculim.2983

Osculim.2983

Yep i constantly misplace that cursor some improvement to make it more visible would help maby make it flash while in combat and maby a little bigger would sure as heck help targeted spells

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

i get a bug sometimes wich i become completely unable to target at all except for the target on hitting monster or player neither tab nor nearest enemy nor clicking works when this happens only hitting the target will lock it.

Posted by: Cogent.5923

Cogent.5923

Please can we have some kind of custom cursor? I can’t count how many times this has frustrated me as a gamer coming from countless other games. Let us have some visibility options for our mouse cursor and for the love of god can we have some reliable and consistent means of tab targeting?

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Anyone else losing track of their cursor in large scale combat scenarios? I read on some other forums other folks having this same issue in large zergs of spells.

Also tab targeting for me fails constantly. It never correctly cycles outwards, always line of sight or whatever might be hitting me at the moment in the distance; even thought what I want to kill is closest. Someone suggested using the UI enhancement Combat Mode, but I don’t think I should have to use some enhancement like this just to play the game properly.

Another issue I have is the loot particle effects. I brought this up once before but I’m gonna post about it again just to get it out there. It’s hard to see what needs to be looted when it’s just small little gold pixie dust particles up against the shimmer of the sun off water, or whatever environment you are in. I don’t know, could these effect be bigger, different color perhaps?

I know exactly how you feel. xD
But I got used to it I guess… =/ would be nice if they fix it

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Lately it seems that at some point i can no longer target enemies with a mouse click at all, leaving me with the near random tab targeting as my only option. The game seems to still register my clicks, as i can use it to manipulate the game interface, but i loose all ability to select targets using the mouse.

Posted by: fractalKinesis.8569

fractalKinesis.8569

Thought this was just me, but I always lose track of my cursor… and my tab targeting always targets some crap instead of what I want to fight.
WoW had great tab targeting, what’s this one doing wrong?

Xiro, High Five Warriors [HFW], Jade Quarry

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

The Targeting system is one of the most frustrating things in the game for me. The closest target key binding is a bad joke. Too often, I can be approaching an enemy – hit C to target, 1 to attack and suddenly find I’m leaping towards a Moa I passed 5 minutes ago or worst still aggroing a friendly mob nearby.

Posted by: Kyle.5846

Kyle.5846

I would love an option to at least increase cursor size or something to make it more visible. Even if something could get thrown in there quick and improved later would help a bunch. I play on a 40" monitor so it’s very easy to lose my cursor.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It’s really annoying in a hectic fight when I want to do a ground based skill and can’t find my mouse cursor. I end up moving the cursor all over the screen till I can see it.

The target drops too easily, especially in water combat. It should have a hard lock either until the target is dead or until you actively select a different target. It should also prioritize a red target over a yellow one.

I’ve learned to be careful about looking at the target name before I attack a new target. I’ve aggro’d too many random nearby creatures, which then joined the fight.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

Yep. It’s impossible to keep track of the cursor amongst all the flashy effects. It wouldn’t be quite so bad for me if I didn’t lose my target nearly every time I right clicked to turn around. Frankly, the interface provides more of a challenge than the mobs in most fights.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Posted by: Arcanorum Ignis.9218

Arcanorum Ignis.9218

I lose my cursor in the middle of fights too. The ability to change the cursor colour to something more obvious like pink would solve this problem easily.

If only ANet would actually focus on improving the base game and not just adding more temporary content that nobody will care about in a few weeks…

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Nice bump, because it’s still a problem and probably well off the radar at Anet.

But I’m not holding my breath for a solution.

The targeting system sucks donkey balls. Why am I suddenly shooting at a Moa, at the extreme edge of my range, when an invader from another server is right beside me?

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Rifter.6591

Rifter.6591

This is a huge issue for me as well, constantly loosing the cursor.

The main complaint about the game in my guild is actually the horrible UI in general for this game.

Somoene want to explain how such a widespread issue is being ignored by the devs for 3+ months? This would be a very simple fix to allow size and color changes of the cursor.

And dont even get me started on the tab targetting of this game its the worst i have seen in any game ever.

I was fighting the dragon in forstgorge the other day and it auto targeted a kittening moa i couldnt even see on the screen in the middle of the dragon fight.

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

In WvW when culling goes into its way i loose mouse all the time. It looks like when enemy appears from nowhere, mouse just dissappear.
After some quick swings to left/right mouse appears.

Posted by: HoukaKetsueki.6924

HoukaKetsueki.6924

They should also add “Target enemy player” bind in options. In WvW you’re dead when you target a monster/npc guard instead of a player, when they’re near each other.

Koko Puffz / Kokoro Chan
Coerce[LOLI]
Tarnished Coast Asian Roamer

Posted by: Skugga.5298

Skugga.5298

I don’t know if any of you have experienced this but there is another bug ingame where your mouse stops working for a seconds (you lose it) and after you right click again you get it back….

Something weird,…

And yes the mouse needs some improvements, try to play a big battle as an engineer with a grenade kit and fast ground targetting, for some reason you also lose your aoe circle during fast ground targetting which makes it 10x harder to know where to aim and you lose your mouse a lot faster this way.

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Right click targeting is one of game biggest problem. Can’t figure out why they can’t make option disable it. Hell some player probably can come and code it for you for free.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: funkin.3814

funkin.3814

Glad this has been brought back up, as it drives me nuts and I don’t think the issue has gotten enough attention. While it’s been mentioned, I’d like to stress something regarding the cursor: it’s not that you just lose it, it often is not there. That’s why it’s so hard to find when you need it, it’s invisible. Easy way to see what I’m talking about in-game— put your cursor in the center of your screen, then move/look around using your mouse (keeping an eye on the cursor). I’m amazed that my cursor is invisible more than it’s visible. In combat, I move and look around using the mouse A LOT, meaning my cursor is not on the screen.

Also, sometimes I can click on friendlies/enemies/whatever and they will be selected as a target. Sometimes I can’t. It’s as if some days clicking to target works, others it doesn’t work at all. So essentially, given that my cursor probably isn’t there and/or I am unable to click-to-target, the awful, horrendous, mind-blowingly unintuitive tab targeting system is all I have left.

Whoops, just wasted another AoE cooldown….

(edited by funkin.3814)

Posted by: Violet.7935

Violet.7935

Glad I’m not the only one having this issue. I lose my cursor a lot during large battles as well. Also, the targeting/tab targeting in this game is pretty terrible. The target changes all the time and when I cycle through enemies with tab it seems like it targets randomly. It’s not smooth at all. I’ve never had this much trouble tab targeting in any other MMO. Please fix this.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Use combat mode 1.1

fixes most issues I have.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Toxophile.6215

Toxophile.6215

The problem with Combat Mode is that it totally changes the way you play. I tried it out a couple times, but it was just so hard to get used to. And I didn’t like not being able to look around while fighting. But, losing the cursor is such a huge problem in big fights that I will probably end up trying it yet again.

Posted by: Olfinbedwere.5049

Olfinbedwere.5049

I think, since they’ve all but endorsed Combat Mode, that they consider the problem fixed. Most mmos won’t spend resources fixing a problem that a member of the community has a workaround or addon for.

In WarhammerOnline there was a third party addon that let you dismount your horse on the fly, when people complained on the forums about how hard it was to dismount a Dev responded that they had personally been using the addon for so long that they thought it was a game feature.

I’d bet my undead chicken that there’s more than a few devs that use combat mode.

Posted by: ADFX.6179

ADFX.6179

Yep. I feel your pain OP and share your frustration. Its an issue with the game and I second the idea of being able to turn off the tool tips.