Low Hanging Fruit: Quick Fixes That'd Matter

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Risingashes.8694

Risingashes.8694

I wanted to start a discussion and compile a list of changes which could be done in a very short time by a developer but would make a massive difference to the enjoyability of the game.

We’d all mostly love culling to be fixed, or dungeons to be tuned, or Zhiatan to be made meaningful- but those things take a lot of effort, skill, and time. In the meantime: what have you seen ingame which could be added almost immediately but would make a significant difference in terms of having fun ingame- be it bug, UI fix, or whatever.

Risingashes.8694

Mail

—Remove the 2 mail per minute restriction if both individuals are on each others friends list: Sending mail to multiple friends is currently frustrating

—Increase the mail storage to 20 from 10 :Chorel.1720

— Color items that have been designated as attachments a dark red shade that is unmistakable to avoid confusion :Fiennes.9568

Trading Post

—Allow Filtering of Armors by Light, Medium, Heavy :Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

—Allow TP icon to display the amount collectable, and # of items, rather than just (!) symbol: With option to disable :Zenith.6403

—Reopening trading post no longer automatically reloads the gem store screen, meaning searches can be resumed if desired: Encouraging spontaneous gem purchases is fine, but currently it’s done at the cost of frustration :vespers.1759

Inventory

—When using searchbox, multiple unstackable items should appear as if stacked: Gives clear indication of quantity of items

—Give white items a quality designation (standard, normal, plain, etc etc): Allows them to be filtered via the searchbox

—Give option for items in inventory to have a blue, green, yellow outline depending on item quality: Allows for people to use the graphical UI to find items easily :Ummeiko.5318

—Add Consume All option to items where such a thing is useful, Karma Jugs etc :Iehova.9518

—Allow alt clicking vendor items to bring up a UI that allows multiple purchases: Very useful for instances where hundreds of vendor items need to be bought :Ummeiko.5318

—Make karma account-wide: Reduces frustration involved in shuffling between alts :Iehova.9518

—Exclude Mini Pets from the Deposit All option while still allowing right click depositing : DrJosepi.4052

—Gem shop item for collectable tabs for sub-components of trade skills, include ALL sub-components :Egon Vidar.9125

—Have offhands unequiped in to an invisible bag if available :Rain King.5914

—Make halloween items account bound, make all future holiday items account bound :raptor.1064

Privacy

—Give option to log in as invisible :Uncle Salty.6342

Guild

—Last Online Column for Guilds: Essential for tracking effective membership :Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

—Increase maximum number of ranks from 10 to 30: Would assist secondary guild management

—Add /whisperwholeguild command for Leaders: Would assist secondary guild communication

— Optional Guild Log On/Off chat messages: Gives more sense of community without jumping through UI screens :Boatdrinks.2546

— Optional Guild Event messages: Gets you involved in guildies playtime without them bragging :Boatdrinks.2546

—Toggle option to display gold dots on minimap to represent guild members :roachsrealm.9284

Achievements

—Make Daily/Monthly UI display ‘sticky’, remembers state upon zone out :Hawkian.6580

—Display percentage complete values for each tab in the achievement UI, as is done for daily and monthly, (Jumping Puzzles 35%, Slayer 23%, etc)

—Allow tracking of achievements beyond cap, while offering no actual rewards beyond current cap (51492/1000 Undead Killed): Gives individuals feedback over the long term while not encouraging grinding

—Give option to place any achievement in the storymode tab for tracking: Reduces frustrating UI interaction

—Add titles for full completion of separate achievement tabs, Explorer, Jumping Puzzle, Slayer, etc :Folk.2093

Keg Brawl

—Make the arc of 2 skill fixed rather than dependent on camera angle: Allows for cooperative play rather than back and forth lobbing

PvE

—Add hotkey to toggle autotargetting, would be very useful for certain classes like engineers :insanemaniac.2456

—Option to enable AoE looting, when a corpse is looted check for any other corpses within range and loot them as well, if bags are full combine all loot tables in to the one overflow UI :Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

—Make POIs more noticeable when undiscovered: The empty box is hard to see on the map :Writetyper.1985

—Make waypoints cost less in zones on a rotational basis: Softly encouraging players to populate specific zones to make things feel more alive in the open world :Sungak Alkandenes.1369

—Make jumping puzzles award 0.05 of a Laurel daily, so that people are encouraged to do them :Revolution.6301

Crafting

—Apply discovery UI to normal crafting, so you can click a subcomponent’s picture to craft that item :Ummeiko.5318

Continued: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Low-Hanging-Fruit-Quick-Fixes-That-d-Matter-1/1470837

(edited by Risingashes.8694)

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

Do minor adjustments to engineer and necromancer traits to bring them in line with the traits of other classes.

Posted by: Fatfox.4915

Fatfox.4915

A storage slot for dungeon tokens in the bank. (I’m not into dungeons, so they just kind of float around)

And the mail limit needs to be capped at 5- or a multi contact mail option.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Guild event message on Login, optional of course. A possible response system wouldn’t really be “low hanging fruit”.

Last Seen for friends and guild lists, please and thank you.

Trading post search based on light, medium, heavy armor.

I’ll stop now. Thanks for listening, even if you never did.

Edit: Fatfox said, “a storage slot for dungeon tokens”. Yes please.
Edit2: And while you’re at it, “a storage slot for the various gifts”, while we figure out which particular Legendary is actually doable.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

(edited by Herr der Friedhoefe.2490)

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

Fix tooltip of skills to describe correct damage.
Fix story mode various bugs.
Fix 2 DE’s in Caledon forest that didn’t trigger properly.

Can’t wait.

1+1 = potato

Posted by: Fatfox.4915

Fatfox.4915

Oh forgot one-

Make sure characters appear to be harvesting using the right tool. So many times I’ve seen someone hacking a tree down with a mining pick and it looks odd.

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

• Black Lion Trading Company icon – giving the amount of coins and items that are available for pickup.
  • WvW repairing walls – don’t stop repair after 10 supplies are spent, but instead stop when all supplies are spent.

There are tons of quality-of-life improvements to the user interface that could be made.

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

Fix saving pet names for ranger pets.

Fix the bug that occasionally causes you to continually run when trying to pick up items. eg. the cursed hammer.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

Posted by: Chorel.1720

Chorel.1720

Get rid of our account names being plastered over everything. I don’t mind stuff being account based but I’d really rather my account name isn’t on EVERYTHING.

Fix the drop rates.

Add a last online tab in guilds (should have been in day one honestly..)

Storage tab for dungeon tokens/fractal relics. Make the limit at least 2000.

More skins in the cash shop. I’m talking about armor and not town clothes. You claim the game is about looks but you only have 1 skin per armor type in the cash shop? I mean really? I’m sure people would willingly buy it if there was more skins.

Increase mail limit to 20 or more. I have no idea why they thought a 10 limit was a good idea.

I agree with fixing the culling. I know it’s probably hard to try to fix but I’d like to be able to see someone 10 feet away from me. As it is right now I only really see people when they run past me. Not counting the people that are stationary 5 feet around me.

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Highlight POI’s on the map when you have all but 3 of them in terms of zone completion. Anyone who has gone for map completion knows what I’m talking about.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Posted by: Uncle Salty.6342

Uncle Salty.6342

More than everything else.

Bring back Invisible status (on contact list) on login screen.

Posted by: Draven.7210

Draven.7210

You guys….have some strange requests. Increase number of ranks from 10-30?! How many kittenin ranks you need man?! lol

I just want to preview stuff in the TP. That’s it.

Risingashes.8694

You guys….have some strange requests. Increase number of ranks from 10-30?! How many kittenin ranks you need man?! lol

I just want to preview stuff in the TP. That’s it.

For you it doesn’t matter. But for me personally it’s made my FoTM guild unmanageable.

Which would be fine if there was any reason for it at all, but how would a limit more than 10 negatively effect anyone’s experience?

Posted by: Ummeiko.5318

Ummeiko.5318

Color border or other indicator on inventory icons so I can easily see rarity of item when looking at backpack, forge, and bank window.

Ability to buy more than one of an item at a time from vendor. For example, purchase 100 orrian jewelry boxes at once instead of clicking 100 times.

When crafting, an easier way to make the intermediate items. If I want to make a sword and I have all the raw mats, I would like to look at the final recipe and be able to make ingots, blade, hilt, dowel, inscription, and final sword without having to find 6 different recipes in a list of several hundred (I’m fine with having to click separately for each part, just want to do it from the same window). Cooking can be even worse with some foods.

Dungeon tokens stacking higher than 250. Most exotics take 300 or more tokens anyway. As the most expensive items (gifts) cost 500, I think that would be a number that makes sense.

Those are my biggest quality of life issues at the moment.

Marumari – Asura Warrior
Ummei – Asura Ele

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

1 – Fix the 3 main complaints in the Audio section of the forums, which have been there since day 1.

2 – Fix the character art bugs and Makeover kit bugs

3 – COMMUNICATE. I don’t know if you realize this, but your community is howling for you to be a part of it. Be involved in these forums, expecially with those topics that just keep coming up (RNG, Grind, Mystic Forge,). Get on here and SAY SOMETHING. Take a stand, stop being silent, get off the fence.

4 (bonus points, no programming required) – Ask the moderators to never, ever again change the topic title of someone’s post to “In my view…”

Changing what people type is obviously your right as the owner of these forums, but I’d suggest being very cautious about doing so. While it’s no doubt done with a professional intent, it comes across as childish, and makes it look like you’re confidence in your product is so low that you fear criticism and are unwilling to listen to your players. Sure, remove the flame war posts and trolling, but let people keep their opinions.

(edited by Chuo.4238)

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

Racial Ambiance
There are a large number of abilities in the game that should be different between different races. Asuran engineer turrets should not look like Charr turrets should not look like Sylvari turrets. Thief traps should look different. Mesmer illusions should look different. The only reason for all of them not to is laziness – it’s a lot of work for the art department, but one that would add some much needed emphasis on the races.

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

Posted by: raven.8479

raven.8479

any chance of face to face trade with friends not just through mail or auction house

(edited by raven.8479)

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

Add a “Consume all” option for karma vials.
Add “Sell blues”/“Sell greens” buttons to vendors.
Add a “Buy X items” option.
Make waypointing to LA free regardless of your current position in the overworld.
Make karma account-wide.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Not being able to mail my party consumables for the dungeon is a real pain. Why no direct trading system? It’s jarring not being able to pass an item to someone standing next to me. Just let us create loot bags or something :P

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: DrJosepi.4052

DrJosepi.4052

Remove non combat pets from the “Deposit All Collectibles” rule.

Posted by: Fiennes.9568

Fiennes.9568

Mail

- Increase the amount of items that can be mailed at one time

- When dropping items in to a mail, make it more noticeable that the item has been dragged in to the message. Right now, the colouration difference is negligible and it can be hard to see at a glance what has, and has not been, placed in the message. (Wow used to totally grey out the item – it was obvious you’d placed it!)

WvW

- Show me where my guildies are, not just my party.

General

- Remove NPCs that are standing around with no function, directly next to bankers/black trade guys – Lion’s Arch. In a mass of people, hitting “F” to say “Hello” to some pleb that has no bearing on anything, rather than the actual target is silly!

Posted by: Folk.2093

Folk.2093

add the ascended stats that are missing already, its been forever.

add more titles, like to jumping puzzle completion.

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

Remove non combat pets from the “Deposit All Collectibles” rule.

No need – if you don’t want pets deposited, all you need to due is drop them in the specialized bag types and they’ll be ignored when you Deposit All.

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

1. pop-up upon entering LA overflow (is anyone ever NOT in overflow?)
2. TP resetting searches when closed
3. minis that don’t need to be re-activated upon map change/death
4. better way to drink all 300 of my karma vials
5. pet names
6. party leader leaving dungeon kicking everyone else
7. 2 required to kick party

i’ll add more as i think of them

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Add a permanent stow option to rangers so we don’t have them pop out all the time…

Or allow us to remove them as per Guildwars 1.

Risingashes.8694

No need – if you don’t want pets deposited, all you need to due is drop them in the specialized bag types and they’ll be ignored when you Deposit All.

It’s hardly acceptable to force people to use a bag which makes selling/storage less convenient, just to workaround an easily fixable issue.

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

Allow previewing of mini pets, especially when TP is tweaked to allow previews.

Allow items in inventory to be set to no sell, and no collections. I don’t know how many times I’ve almost accidentally sold my pearl blunderbuss.

Storage slots for crafted cooking ingredients/other created crafting components (such as dowels), gears, cotton, etc, left over from the Wintersday event used in minipet creation (Holiday collectibles), misc odds and ends that have no place and make no sense just sitting in the inventory for an extended period.

Fix the bug that occasionally displays your email address to others instead of your account name.

More fixes to issues with armour and weapon art, namely clipping and bad placement/bizarre dimensions of weapons and armour components.

Support for color blind players to allow them to change UI/nameplate/AOE circle colors.

Possibly implement user profiles? I’m not sure how “easy” it is but it would certainly make our lives easier. If the players write their own profiles, we could look at them before inviting them to a guild, or going on a dungeon run, or any various other things to get a feel for the person beforehand. I can assure you it would save people a lot of pain and heartache, and you might make some friends you wouldn’t have otherwise.

Communicate with players, please.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Enable the preview feature for the TP

Collection tab for tokens

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Make Dyes account bound.
Allow Rangers to see red dots on map to indicate enemy targets.
Give all classes a passive 25% movement option.
Allow items in inventory to go back to their original location.
Change badges to a currency so they don’t take up bag/bank space.
Remove the annoying sound effects and make them actually turn off (necros, capturing, wings flapping, etc)

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

Mine on this list (sorry if covered):

-Move Fractal Transit Query dialog to upper right
-“Pick up bundle while moving and keep running straight” bug
-Deposit dungeon tokens <3
-Mark minipets as “do not deposit/always-out”
-Display guilde MOTD on login (it’s basically useless for now)
-Sticky daily/monthly achievment trackers (pin open or closed)

Posted by: Arcanorum Ignis.9218

Arcanorum Ignis.9218

Let’s all keep dreaming shall we?

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

Let’s all keep dreaming shall we?

I think everyone here is aware of the likelihood of most these being implemented, lol.

On the other hand, devs won’t know what users want/need fixed if users say nothing.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

An ignore overflow option. Allow me to select an option that would never inform me that I’m in an overflow (the mini map is enough) and never bring up the dialogue to send me to my home server map. I don’t care and its like that kid in the car who says are we there yet. I’ve been driving across the country for six months with that kid and he still pops up and annoys me every time I load into LA.

Posted by: Attic.1562

Attic.1562

Nobody has mentioned account wide gold and tokens stacking beyond 250 yet?

Also, being able to link dyes from our dye list would be helpful. If I want to see what a friend’s color would look like on my character I shouldn’t have to either go buy the bloody thing on the AH or look up the code on GW2db.

Edit: Also, let us hide all of the bloody crap that keeps getting put into the upper right corner of the screen. Most of my characters have been on the same story mission for months now and I would like my screen back. And if I want to see my progress on the daily or monthly I will open the bloody achievement menu and look at them there.

(edited by Attic.1562)

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

i have one to add that’s a minor point of frustration…

when you go to the gold exchange and enter in how much gold for gems you want, you can scroll with the mouse wheel to increase or decrease the amounts.

Let me do this on my bank tab or in guild storage. Having to switch between windows repeatedly is not a huge annoyance, but things would be easier if I could simply scroll to deposit or withdraw from the storage areas.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

oh, and gold dots on maps for guildies not currently in your party. option to turn off, of course. larger guilds, would be very cluttered. >_<

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: Rain King.5914

Rain King.5914

Make offhands go back into the equipment or invisible bag they came from when changing weapons.

Risingashes.8694

Nobody has mentioned account wide gold and tokens stacking beyond 250 yet?

A couple of people have, the problem being that I suspect that this is not an easy issue to solve and, as such, shouldn’t really be included in this list.

It’s something that should be fixed though, even if tokens need to be converted to new tokens at a rate of 20:1 to workaround the issue.

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

An ignore overflow option. Allow me to select an option that would never inform me that I’m in an overflow (the mini map is enough) and never bring up the dialogue to send me to my home server map. I don’t care and its like that kid in the car who says are we there yet. I’ve been driving across the country for six months with that kid and he still pops up and annoys me every time I load into LA.

I’ve made that suggestion in a couple threads now, but can help quantify it in two relatively (I hope) easy items:

→ Change the “you are in overflow” popup to the yellow overlay text used for XP, new sub-zones discovered, etc.

→ Allow a ‘default’ answer to the second popup through the Options tab. If you decided to go back to your ‘home’ server instance, the yellow overlay text should give warnings at, say, the 20 and 10 second mark (similar to server shutdown).

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)

Posted by: Cuchullain.3104

Cuchullain.3104

1. Do away with death penalties in WvW. Defenders will be more likely to fight to the death if they don’t have to worry about incurring repair bills for suicidal defenses.

2. Reduce waypoint costs. If you want to fill zones reducing the cost of traveling to them them and around them is an obvious solution.

3. Make all game currencies like PVP badges not take up bank space.

4. Option to eliminate the UI in the upper right of the screen for the Dailies, monthly and story missions. These take up space for no good reason.

5. Ability to quickly toggle between auto target on and auto target off so that you can use auto target to quickly attack targets but shut it off to quickly escape.

Risingashes.8694

5. Ability to quickly toggle between auto target on and auto target off so that you can use auto target to quickly attack targets but shut it off to quickly escape.

Not entirely sure what this means.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Not entirely sure what this means.

add a bindable hotkey option to toggle autotargeting because esc > options > click a check box is anything but fast

id actually like the same for smartcasting (fast-cast ground target they call it), it makes grenades so much easier to use but there are just times when i need to know where the edge of my range is (or the wvw jump puzzle dark room) so i leave it off because its so annoying to toggle it.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Masterpyro.4310

Masterpyro.4310

Option to configure culling settings manually. Currently a lot of the game is built to allow for users of older computers/internet speeds to play the same as someone with a ton of money in a rig and fiber internet. My internet speed and PC components are perfectly capable of keeping track of everyone at all times on a WvW map, no culling needed.

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

AoE Looting. Press F once, loot all nearby items.
Having to press F 10 times is unhealthy for both your fingers and your keyboard.

Allow different hotkeys for looting/reviving/talking/other interactions. Currently they’re all bound to the same key.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: raptor.1064

raptor.1064

change halloween bags/backpacks to be account bound instead of soulbound, like the christmas ones are

Risingashes.8694

Rangers

—Save name changes for pets not currently active: Would make pets feel more alive and personal :Rhaps.8540

—Allow alt+click on stow button to permanently stow pets until manually unstowed : Dante.1508

WvW

—Make siege weapons account bound

—Change color of dots on map to differentiate guildies in addition to ally and party :Fiennes.9568

—Remove item damage from deaths, engagement should be encouraged :Cuchullain.3104

Dungeons

—Change group kick dialogue to allow vetos within 15 seconds of kick request/second: Any member other than the kickee can veto to prevent kicking :vespers.1759

Interface

—Give option to tint cursor :Shuguard.7125

(edited by Risingashes.8694)

Posted by: Revolution.6301

Revolution.6301

@op

Good quick fixes.

I’d suggest though fixing the loot you get from jumping puzzles. For us casuals make it worth doing jumping puzzles since as of now you just do it for kicks and fun not because there is some reward at the end.
A more long term fix is to had more of a ‘sword in the stone’ idea. Basically have weapons that you can get after the end of a very difficult jp. This makes it so much more worth it and it really isn’t hard to add.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

WvW

—Make siege weapons account bound

theyve said this is not a quick fix, because the cancel build button breaks when they make it account bound

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Shuguard.7125

Shuguard.7125

I’d personally like to see underwear and cursor(mouse cursor) color change options.