Lunar new year of the horse

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: choon.6308

choon.6308

Where was the celebration for the year of the horse last year? Now we have to wait another 11 years for it to come. I’m a horse and I feel neglected…

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Year of the dragon here, so basically every mmorpg celebrates my year all the time.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

No, there was no celebration last year. Some people think it was Dragon Bash, but that was something altogether different.

Since the game added servers for China and Far East countries, just last year in May, it’s a nod to that holiday and those players.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

They had Canthan new year in the original game. It wasn’t in China.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: segman.3560

segman.3560

Last year at this time the game wasn’t released in china yet so there was no point for them to do this. Now we’re blessed with china second hand festival and gem store shinies. CELEBRATE!

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

How are you neglected? There are no horses in GW2 so no point in celebrating them.

They probably all died out from the same degenerate disease the centaurs currently suffer from – they only have 1 or maybe 2 hooves.

The centaurs are a bit smarter than horses so I’m guessing they compensate with wooden peglegs (or peghooves) you never loot.

Ardenwolfe.8590

Choon is asking about this game . . . not the original.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Last year at this time the game wasn’t released in china yet so there was no point for them to do this. Now we’re blessed with china second hand festival and gem store shinies. CELEBRATE!

What a load of hooey you have there. Yes it is because the game launched last year in China that we now have a Chinese New Year celebration. It would not really have made sense to have it from the beginning and not have the game available in that region (like celebrating Boxing Day and not being available in Canada: odd). But the developers still added in an extra minor event with a game -Dragon Ball-, extra luck, and decorations too. Sure there are Gem Store items, but there are also many free ones like the goat firework. It’s still good to have content patches, however minor, right now when we’re between the end of Season #2 and whenever the expansion HoT releases.

segman.3560

How are you neglected? There are no horses in GW2 so no point in celebrating them.

There are no rams either.

China sevice, nothing more.

munkiman.3068

Choon is asking about this game . . . not the original.

The point was about it being released since the game is now in China. My take is they simply wanted to invoke the tradition from the original. Perhaps they didn’t have enough resources last year since they were working on the release in China. This year it’s lackluster, likely since they are working on the expansion. I just don’t buy that they released this because, China.

Ardenwolfe.8590

And why do you believe they released this celebration for Guild War 2, just starting this year, then? Coincidence?

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Actually, there ARE rams in GW2. A few types, too. But yeah, the presence of an animal in the game has nothing to do with the Chinese zodiac and all that.

segman.3560

I just don’t buy that they released this because, China.

if this was for cantha it would have been called canthan new year, would be there since the release year and it would have direct references to cantha, like e.g. canthan ambassadors or luxon/kurzweil delegations.

This is lunar new year, a china fan service we’re getting in addition not as a main target.

I am personally offended with this festival because of being treated like sacond hand customer.

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ram

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

What a load of hooey you have there. Yes it is because the game launched last year in China that we now have a Chinese New Year celebration. It would not really have made sense to have it from the beginning and not have the game available in that region (like celebrating Boxing Day and not being available in Canada: odd).

Just a FYI: Boxing Day is a holiday in the United Kingdom and virtually all other former British colonies except the USA.
The same day is celebrated at St. Stephen’s Day in many other countries.

RoseofGilead.8907

What a load of hooey you have there. Yes it is because the game launched last year in China that we now have a Chinese New Year celebration. It would not really have made sense to have it from the beginning and not have the game available in that region (like celebrating Boxing Day and not being available in Canada: odd).

Just a FYI: Boxing Day is a holiday in the United Kingdom and virtually all other former British colonies except the USA.
The same day is celebrated at St. Stephen’s Day in many other countries.

We Americans turn our noses up at your Boxing Day; Black Friday is obviously the superior massive shopping day.

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

We Americans turn our noses up at your Boxing Day; Black Friday is obviously the superior massive shopping day.

Except of course Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Texas where Boxing Day is I believe a state holiday…..
And unlike black friday it’s origins have nothing to do with shopping – that came several centuries later.

choon.6308

They probably all died out from the same degenerate disease the centaurs currently suffer from – they only have 1 or maybe 2 hooves.

The centaurs are a bit smarter than horses so I’m guessing they compensate with wooden peglegs (or peghooves) you never loot.

I’m also a Sagittarius which is a centaur so I’m not completely neglected lol.

Yeah, I figured the Chinese release has to do with these cultural elements being added to the game. But we had zodiac weapons before the Chinese release right?

Ardenwolfe.8590

Sure enough, we did. It was part of Clockwork Chaos.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Zodiac

Gone to Reddit.

choon.6308

Is Clockwork Chaos ever coming back? It was fun.

Ardenwolfe.8590

With Scarlet dead? Very unlikely.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Year of Ram, baby! It’s my year!
…which outs my age in some fashion as a multiple of 12.
…Kitten.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

RoseofGilead.8907

Except of course Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Texas where Boxing Day is I believe a state holiday…..
And unlike black friday it’s origins have nothing to do with shopping – that came several centuries later.

Arkansas, California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Washington and West Virginia all have official public holidays on the day after Thanksgiving.

And of course Boxing Day’s origins are different, but it’s pretty much the same as Black Friday now.

choon.6308

With Scarlet dead? Very unlikely.

Resurrect her to bring it back!

munkiman.3068

if this was for cantha it would have been called canthan new year, would be there since the release year and it would have direct references to cantha, like e.g. canthan ambassadors or luxon/kurzweil delegations.

This is lunar new year, a china fan service we’re getting in addition not as a main target.

I am personally offended with this festival because of being treated like sacond hand customer.

No, it wouldn’t be called Cathan New Year, there is no Cantha in the game, yet. Canthan New Year took place only in Cantha.

Additionally, the Queens Pavilion was reportedly a Canthan themed district originally. The point about the original celebrating the Lunar New Year at this time of the year sounds more logical than just saying, because, China. It’s unfortunate you are so offended.

segman.3560

No, it wouldn’t be called Cathan New Year, there is no Cantha in the game, yet. Canthan New Year took place only in Cantha.

Additionally, the Queens Pavilion was reportedly a Canthan themed district originally. The point about the original celebrating the Lunar New Year at this time of the year sounds more logical than just saying, because, China. It’s unfortunate you are so offended.

and this is exactly why it’s only china service and has nothing to do with cantha – ncsoft banned cantha plans, whole district was removed and later changed into pavilion, so lunar new year references only to china holiday and this is why it’s second hand content for us

RoseofGilead.8907

The Lunar New Year references the Canthan New Year, which was based on (and originally ran on or immediately after) Chinese New Year; Canthan New Year ended about a week ago in GW1. I don’t get the indignation about this being something based on China. And yes, the reason it’s around this year is very likely because of the fact that they released the game in China last year; thus, they were more easily able to put the festival in than if they’d tried to at this time last year.

So, yeah. Of course it’s in the game “because China”. The festival in the first game existed “because China”. The Canthan culture exists “because China” (and other Asian influences).

segman.3560

The Lunar New Year references the Canthan New Year, which was based on (and originally ran on or immediately after) Chinese New Year; Canthan New Year ended about a week ago in GW1. I don’t get the indignation about this being something based on China. And yes, the reason it’s around this year is very likely because of the fact that they released the game in China last year; thus, they were more easily able to put the festival in than if they’d tried to at this time last year.

So, yeah. Of course it’s in the game “because China”. The festival in the first game existed “because China”. The Canthan culture exists “because China” (and other Asian influences).

Which means in the better game you mention there was an asian themed continent where such a celebration made sense. And the festival took place only in Cantha.

In this game we have no connection to cantha, the continent isoleted itself so why should tyrians care?

So, in the better game this festival had its explanation in lore. in this game it’s a pure fan service for china (good for them) and second hand content for us.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Which means in the better game you mention there was an asian themed continent where such a celebration made sense. And the festival took place only in Cantha.

In this game we have no connection to cantha, the continent isoleted itself so why should tyrians care?

So, in the better game this festival had its explanation in lore. in this game it’s a pure fan service for china (good for them) and second hand content for us.

Not quite true. The Canthan new year was partly at least in other maps also.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Canthan_New_Year

Decorated towns
Kamadan, Jewel of Istan
Lion’s Arch
Shing Jea Monastery

Quests in Plains of Jarin (Elona)
Elder Nofuun
Douse Your Enthusiasm
or
Fehj
A Burning Desire

NPCs
Lions Arch
Fortune Teller
Keiichi
Lorespinner Sta Si
Lucky Hochei
Lunar Gift Keeper
Rena
Shion
Tien the Lamplighter
Kamadan
Fortune Teller
Lien
Lorespinner Emmah Li
Lunar Gift Keeper
Yuen Bao

RoseofGilead.8907

As the other person above me said, there were also offshoots of the festival in Kamadan and Lion’s Arch (with some of the quests for the festival being in Kamadan). Yes, there is no direct interaction with the Cantha continent. But even though they got rid of the Canthan district in DR, there are still characters of Canthan descent. It’s not much of a stretch for the festival to happen.

So yeah, again, it’s obviously largely in the game this year because there’s GW2 China, and Chinese New Year is next week. And yes, we get it because they get it. Honestly, if China got a holiday festival that the US/EU players didn’t get, the US/EU players would cry foul.

segman.3560

Yeah but I mean main festival.
With lunar new year this is not echo of canthan celebration, this is a different festival with no connection to cantha.

Ardenwolfe.8590

I’m guessing the costumes, fireworks, and general Canthan layout clues and design escaped you?

Gone to Reddit.

segman.3560

it’s not canthan, it’s chinese

Ardenwolfe.8590

In Guild Wars 2’s world, there is no Chinese. It’s called the Lunar Festival for the same reason Wintersday isn’t called Christmas.

Please stop trolling.

Gone to Reddit.

segman.3560

but we have no cantha in gw2 and if we had this festival since release I’d agree with you; but because it happened only after china got their client this is pure china fan service

Ardenwolfe.8590

We do have Cantha in Guild Wars 2.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cantha

We just haven’t been able to explore it in game yet. That’s all. Keep in mind, Guild Wars 1 takes place in the same world and history as Guild Wars 2. Using your logic, we gave no Deep Jungle either because it hasn’t been released yet.

Now, with all due respect, you need to quit with this ‘second-hand’ and ‘China fan service’ talk. It’s disrespectful and speaks poorly of you.

Your call if you want to get that ban your unwittingly trying to earn.

Gone to Reddit.

segman.3560

We have cantha page on wiki, not cantha continent or infuence in the game; we’re narrowed to square-like maps in tyria only, not even whole tyria now

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

There are plenty of rams in GW2, but you have to play WvW to see them.

Ardenwolfe.8590

We have cantha page on wiki, not cantha continent or infuence in the game; we’re narrowed to square-like maps in tyria only, not even whole tyria now

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/b/be/Tyria_%28world%29_map_2.png

The above is the Durmand Priory map of the entire world. In several other locations, you can see this globe if you know where to look.

In the lower half you can clearly see Cantha’s continent as well as the Shing Jea Isles.

Please offer counter-proof it doesn’t exist.

Gone to Reddit.

segman.3560

it’s cantha continent PICTURE not cantha itself

Ardenwolfe.8590

Have you been to the Mars? No? Then it doesn’t exist. You’ve only seen pictures. That’s your logic for you.

Gone to Reddit.

Astral Projections.7320

Before people could travel to different parts of the world, this didn’t mean that the maps far from them didn’t exist.

segman.3560

Cantha is isolated. No trade, no ppl travels. Therefore it doesn’t “exist” for common tyrian.
So, lunar new year cant be because of cantha but because of china. If it wasnt true we would get this festival since the release.

Astral Projections.7320

There are still people of Canthan descent living in Tyria. Maybe they got together and pooled their funds to set up a holiday honoring their heritage.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

There are horses in guild wars.

First game had necrid horseman and ghastly ones too.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

There are still people of Canthan descent living in Tyria. Maybe they got together and pooled their funds to set up a holiday honoring their heritage.

This. there are quite a few characters running around with Canthan names. So saying Cantha doesnt exist is just being ignorant. I for one am a dog, nobody has celebrate the year of the dog in any game ive seen!

Although, ive see threads where segman has responded hes a troll, its what he does.

There are horses in guild wars.

First game had necrid horseman and ghastly ones too.

While there are horses in guild wars we never see them.The necrid horseman and ghastly horseman were dead. and very easily could have been raised by a necromancer to look that way.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Astral Projections.7320

As to no trade with Cantha, the Zephyrites might.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Zephyrites
In the Sanctum and its fleet, the Zephyrites travel the world, looking to trade with different civilizations.

It’s also suggested that they trade with Cantha

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fade
“I agree. We just returned from one of our most culturally colorful ports of call. Sadly, it’s a long and arduous journey, so I don’t expect we’ll be heading back anytime soon.”
" I’d like to see it for myself someday."
“I hope you get that chance. Until then, please enjoy the many attractions we’ve provided at the festival. It’s for Lion’s Arch, after all. Thank you for your interest!”

RoseofGilead.8907

This. there are quite a few characters running around with Canthan names. So saying Cantha doesnt exist is just being ignorant. I for one am a dog, nobody has celebrate the year of the dog in any game ive seen!

Try being year of the rat. No love for rats.

Edit: Although, 2008 was celebrated in GW1 for the rat. And your year comes up in 2018!

Ardenwolfe.8590

Excellent observation, Astral.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: PulsarianDevil.8125

PulsarianDevil.8125

Lol right on the money.