Lunatic Inquisition hiding spot

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Q:

There is growing controversy over the hiding spot in the South East of the map, on a cliff there.

If a Dev would care to give a definitive opinion as to if this is a legitimate tactic, I am sure a lot of people would be very grateful, and hopefully put this in its grave, either way at last.

Thank you in advance.

Posted by: J envy.5270

J envy.5270

i dont get why people even bother to hide in this thing, rewards are crap, if you wanted rewards you should do labyrinth instead you get loot from every monster you tag(or almost), for me i only do labyrinth for the stupid achievements, gotta do them 80 times to get max achievements, so anyway i dont even hide i always run up to get killed as soon as match starts, then semi afk it cuz its so boring and dont got the patience for the long matches.

Kamote
Guild Wars Vet since 05
multi-class all game modes

Posted by: Sinzaku.2980

Sinzaku.2980

i dont get why people even bother to hide in this thing, rewards are crap, if you wanted rewards you should do labyrinth instead you get loot from every monster you tag(or almost), for me i only do labyrinth for the stupid achievements, gotta do them 80 times to get max achievements, so anyway i dont even hide i always run up to get killed as soon as match starts, then semi afk it cuz its so boring and dont got the patience for the long matches.

Personalized bags are supposed to give higher chances for those rares items and villager survivor win this bag x10 so noo it is not better than Lab if u grind the achievement pts in same time since u can just hide and afk for get the loot

“Necromancer in Heart and Soul” ~ #8k Hours#Asura
-(EvE ~ EU)-

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It may not be better, but it’s completely crap. For all practical purposes it’s exploiting.

If you’re in a place where your enemies can’t hit you, and you can profit from it, that’s pretty much the definition of an exploit.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

I would also like to point out that just because ghosts can do it too does not make it not-an-exploit.

Early in the game, people got banned for turning karma into gold with an exploit. Everyone could do that.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I would also like to point out that just because ghosts can do it too does not make it not-an-exploit.

Early in the game, people got banned for turning karma into gold with an exploit. Everyone could do that.

Please enlighten us on how us ghosts can jump up there. Theres at least 10 of us trying to jump up there because some kitten is kittening exploiting it. Even with swiftness from birthday cake none of us can jump up there.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Please enlighten us on how us ghosts can jump up there. Theres at least 10 of us trying to jump up there because some kitten is kittening exploiting it. Even with swiftness from birthday cake none of us can jump up there.

I’ve seen screenshots, but I do agree with the sentiment that this spot should be blocked off.

It’s a bogus location.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Shayne Hawke.9160

Shayne Hawke.9160

It’s pretty amusing to listen to ghosts complaining about how ridiculously difficult this jump is for them to make and that they pretty much can’t win if a villager chooses to get into this spot and is successful. People are so used to the power dynamic of ghosts being so much stronger than villagers that when this dynamic gets shifted the other way around by the use of this spot, the shock of what they are being asked to do to win repulses them. These same people seem to fail to make the connection that this is how anyone trying to win as a villager feels all the time in this game, and that by the shifting of the power dynamic, they are being shown how imbalanced and terrible this activity is. Some ghosts even go so far as to say that the activity is fun or is great as they cleave down villager after villager, but as soon as one guy gets the upper hand over ghosts by going somewhere hard for ghosts to reach, the game then becomes dumb, boring, broken, and/or imbalanced. Then they go on to blame the villagers for ruining their fun, because how dare they use the only strategy demonstrated to be effective in having villagers win.

Accessing this area is a legitimate strategy, the only legitimate strategy that villagers have. I will stand corrected when someone shows me a series of themselves claiming victory over the ghosts as a villager using any other method.

The appropriate “fix” to this spot is not to block it off. The appropriate “fix” is to remove Lunatic Inquisition entirely and replace with any other activity, like Reaper’s Rumble.

YT channel - GW2 Activity vids and more
Activities are dead.
Sanctum Sprint record times: any checkpoints – 39.333, all checkpoints – 1:55.633

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

The appropriate “fix” to this spot is not to block it off. The appropriate “fix” is to remove Lunatic Inquisition entirely and replace with any other activity, like Reaper’s Rumble.

Or you know, they can fix the game, which has issues, properly, and bring RR aswell.

Because you know, some people like the game maybe. Just maybe. And they maybe don’t want the game they like being outright removed because just maybe they can’t play it if that game was scrapped, y’know?

Aw, who’m I kidding. Of course you don’t.

I ? Karkas.

Shayne Hawke.9160

Or you know, they can fix the game, which has issues, properly, and bring RR aswell.

That would be great, but they won’t fix it. ANet does not care about activities, and no time in the past have they ever made an adjustment to an activity that made it better overall.

As for those who actually like this game as it stands, I have zero sympathy for people who have such terrible taste and no sense for game balance.

Activities are dead.
Sanctum Sprint record times: any checkpoints – 39.333, all checkpoints – 1:55.633

Posted by: azzy.6485

azzy.6485

There is growing controversy over the hiding spot in the South East of the map, on a cliff there.

If a Dev would care to give a definitive opinion as to if this is a legitimate tactic, I am sure a lot of people would be very grateful, and hopefully put this in its grave, either way at last.

Thank you in advance.

Not a hiding spot – it is an exploit, plain and simple. “In video games, an exploit (colloquially sploit) is the use of a bug or glitches, game system, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game’s designers.” This is a design BUG that has not been fixed, being exploited by those who know about it.

Posted by: Miriam.2506

Miriam.2506

One person used this spot more than one times and after we discover talking with bad language about the other people at the map. Got reported more than a few times I hope. Doing once is maybe ok but using the same spot at the next round again and again is more as bad and calling everyone of us on the with the bad words beginning with a….

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Accessing this area is a legitimate strategy, the only legitimate strategy that villagers have. I will stand corrected when someone shows me a series of themselves claiming victory over the ghosts as a villager using any other method.

That’s kitten poop, I have won a few matches as a villager just by moving around or getting away from ghosts by jumping off the edge of the map at the right moment. I also have been killed as a ghost, by villagers who actually made a bit of an effort, many times.

If you want to talk about legitimate, as-intended strategies to win as villagers: group together, get hammers, move as a group, clobber the ghosts, get shotguns, win.

Or be the last villager standing and mow down ghosts with the chainsaw.

These are the strategies that were obviously intended, and they work well when people bother to use them.

I guess most players don’t, because they’re lazy and it’s just easier to afk in a corner, or to play as a ghost. Solo roaming as a ghost (and getting achievement reward progression) is easier than solo roaming as a villager. The laziest way of all the ways to play this game though is so stand in a “safe corner” and wait for the timer to run out. It is so incredibly lazy and lame that you should be ashamed.

In real life, if you played tag as a child and there was one “safe spot” (like a pole that you could run to and touch) and you’d be the lame kid that just stood there with their hand on the pole, the other kids would just wander off and play marbles instead. If you want to be that person, go ahead, but if this wasn’t just a 2 week activity but a permanent one and ANet started banning people for disrupting the actual game, I wouldn’t shed a tear.

(edited by Pixelpumpkin.4608)

Shayne Hawke.9160

That’s kitten poop, I have won a few matches as a villager just by moving around or getting away from ghosts by jumping off the edge of the map at the right moment. I also have been killed as a ghost, by villagers who actually made a bit of an effort, many times.

If you want to talk about legitimate, as-intended strategies to win as villagers: group together, get hammers, move as a group, clobber the ghosts, get shotguns, win.

These are the strategies that were obviously intended, and they work well when people bother to use them.

MKS spam locks villagers out of any offensive options because those are all tied to bundles that are forcibly dropped and cannot be picked up until a villager responds to the MKS or lets it expire and becomes stunned. Each ghost can do this five times in quick succession. Show pics or video of you overcoming this to win or it didn’t happen.

In real life, if you played tag as a child and there was one “safe spot” (like a pole that you could run to and touch) and you’d be the lame kid that just stood there with their hand on the pole, the other kids would just wander off and play marbles instead.

Lunatic Inquisition is not like tag.

Activities are dead.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

It’s pretty amusing to listen to ghosts complaining about how ridiculously difficult this jump is snip

I read here only pure nonsense formulated as an cheap excuse for not knowing howe to win otherwise as a villager, because of personal lack of understanding the game/skill to win as a villager, so that such exploits get seen as welcome method to win, because yeah, ghosts are soo OP… boooohooooooo ….

Villagers don’t have to abuse such exploits, which bring them out of reach for ghosts where no skills of ghosts can reach them, which is another sign for it, that Villagers are and were NEVER supposed to be there by game design.
ANet has changed already other things all over the game to stop people from exploiting the game through getting off map and abusign that in most cases to be somehwere in the game, were players aren’t supposed to be by the game’s design, but were abused to shortcut. Be it in Dungeons (and we all know that, it would be a lie if someone would say here he/she hasn’t used that and ANet knows that for sure too, as they would have basically to ban likely half of their community just for that, so they much likely close an eye or two here willingly and rather go with it just to fix the issue and never lose a word about it anymore after the Patch Notes telling everybody, that an exploit got fixed, that everybody and their mums have abused for like over half of an year or even longer)

Same thing with the Sanctum Sprint, it has had from begin on some exploitable shortcuts, with the most prominent one being fixed the last time when the zephirites came back by putting more bulders at the end of the activity to prevent people from cheating and also here again tons of people abused that for sure and I admit, i did it a few times too at the early days, but then I suddenly became better and better at it to the point, that I didn’t need that exploit anymore, because I became so skilled at the Sanctum Sprint, that I could easily win also runs, when I started with like coming a 1-2 mintes later afte the race had already begun to to knowing how to use the skilsl best to run very fast and making good usage of the aspect skills to find some shortcuts in the track to save some time that are on the track and don’t skip the track, just like that exploit that got fixed this year around the Zephirite Patch.

Its time that Anet fixes this exploit here too. Not that I used it, I’m to unskilled (requires very precise dodge jumps)for that silly spot, despite knowing what you must do and having seen it live before of my eyes, how someone successfulyl made it even as a ghost after several tries…
However, thats not the way how its supposed for villagers to win.

Good skilled villagers, that know how this minigame works and understand also something about TEAMWORK (I hope you know what that is, because readign you posting made me believe, youve already forgotten what that is) do know, how to survive long enough as villagers.
Heck, I even won this year once after an absolute perfect flee as a villager with nearly 350 points a match, because of the unskilled ghost players being unable to catch me, my dodging skills being perfectly timing and naturally a bit luck also too to always have had at the right time food in my near to get healed to survive long enough and to run away from the ghosts…

Villagers can survive, if they work together and use the proper right items to defens themself, which are Torches and Bones, to stop/daze and damage ghosts together with hammers to knock them back and or eliminate them for a short time to buy you time to run away.
Skilled Villagers know the map in and out and know where they can find their needed items to get the villager events quickly done, but that requires teamwork of all villagers together, otherwise you wont be able to complete the events, before most villagers have already been killed.

But this has also something to do with bad sportsmanship, because lot of people are just too lazy to play the game, as it has been designed, because 99% of all the people just want to farm the minigame quickly only to get fast the rewards/achievement points done and go even so far to sabotage the minigame by getting intentionally killed fats, so that the matches are shorter..see above posts.

I miss the first halloween, where alot more skilled people were there, which played all together the game, how it should be played. it was the only time, where you actually saw also completed villager events to the final tier, because people PLAYED TOGETHER and not just only for themself and their personal profits like selfish people do…

That were good times. I miss them really much, but I guess Lunatic Inquisition will never be again like in the first years Halloween as far as I can tell and could participate on it, before I got my account hacked and just got it back short before the end of Halloween 2012

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

It’s pretty amusing to listen to ghosts complaining about how ridiculously difficult this jump is for them to make and that they pretty much can’t win if a villager chooses to get into this spot and is successful. People are so used to the power dynamic of ghosts being so much stronger than villagers that when this dynamic gets shifted the other way around by the use of this spot, the shock of what they are being asked to do to win repulses them. These same people seem to fail to make the connection that this is how anyone trying to win as a villager feels all the time in this game, and that by the shifting of the power dynamic, they are being shown how imbalanced and terrible this activity is. Some ghosts even go so far as to say that the activity is fun or is great as they cleave down villager after villager, but as soon as one guy gets the upper hand over ghosts by going somewhere hard for ghosts to reach, the game then becomes dumb, boring, broken, and/or imbalanced. Then they go on to blame the villagers for ruining their fun, because how dare they use the only strategy demonstrated to be effective in having villagers win.

You say this as if ghosts and villagers are factions that we choose when we create a character. Everyone gets plenty of chances to see what it’s like on both ends. Yes, it is typically harder to survive as a villager than it is to kill villagers as a ghost.

But… when a villager outsmarts me with pure ingenuity and greater skill at navigating the maze, or finding a crafty hiding spot, I am impressed with that villager. However, the spot in question isn’t even really a hiding spot. It’s just difficult to reach, particularly by ghosts.

As far as I know, it takes no great amount of skill to reach the spot by a villager, but takes an extremely disproportionate amount of skill to reach the spot as a ghost (if it is possible at all). So yes, villagers have the upper hand in this scenario and in principle, there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s just that ghosts have virtually no counter against it.

In basically every other aspect of the game mode that you could name, where one side has an advantage, the other side has a distinct counter of some kind to that advantage. For example, villagers – if they get organized enough – can team up against ghosts to help each other avoid them and so on. Or team up to build feasts and whatnot. It’s not an easy counter, but I don’t think it’s supposed to be easy for villagers to win.

Villagers are, after all, the flesh bodies that are trying to survive against ethereal attackers. It makes sense that they would be disadvantaged on the whole. In fact, I think of Lunatic Inquisition like a variation on hide-and-seek. And in hide-and-seek, the “hider” has traditionally been at a disadvantage compared to the seeker. Because the seeker is working with a finite number of hiding places to find the hider. While the hider is hoping that his or her hiding place is sufficient to stump the seeker.

Of course, in a game like Lunatic Inquisition, where everyone quickly becomes knowledgeable of all major hiding spots, you need more ways of seek and hide, which is where stuff like the items on the ground come in. The “chase” part is almost more like Ghost in the Graveyard, or Bloody Murder as it is also known.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Silvia.9130

Silvia.9130

In the moment a person can go afk and just make that half step not to be kicked for inactivity by the game, and actually WIN , the person is exploiting.

>>Lady Carlie Castle<
>>=<

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

MKS spam locks villagers out of any offensive options because those are all tied to bundles that are forcibly dropped and cannot be picked up until a villager responds to the MKS or lets it expire and becomes stunned. Each ghost can do this five times in quick succession. Show pics or video of you overcoming this to win or it didn’t happen.

In real life, if you played tag as a child and there was one “safe spot” (like a pole that you could run to and touch) and you’d be the lame kid that just stood there with their hand on the pole, the other kids would just wander off and play marbles instead.

Lunatic Inquisition is not like tag.

It is totally like tag. With one kid sitting in a tree and singing “nee nah nee nah”. * claps *

I have not recorded anything – my laptop struggles with GW2 as it is, right now – and I’m done with my 80 rounds of Inquisition for this year, so no, sadly I have no videos or screenshots. So no, you don’t have to take my word for it. * shrugs *

About “Mad King Says”, as somebody who has played mostly as a ghost this year (hiding became boring pretty quick), there is only one MKS (dance) that is really dangerous – most of the other animations are pretty quick. Some villagers are really good at dodging them, too. Then there is a global cooldown, too, so no, you can’t actually use them in quick succession, unless there are several ghosts on your tail. Countless times a villager has been running away from me and “spamming” all the MKS on them wasn’t enough to close the gap and get near enough them to actually get a hit in – the ghosts run that much slower. All a villager has to do is break the line of sight by running around a corner and MKS goes into nowhere, and the villager has all the time in the world to run off while the ghost is on cooldown while running a speed that is like wading through pudding.

So, I don’t know, maybe you want to upload a video of a single villager running away from you as a single ghost and pinning them down with MKS skills so much that they can’t escape despite being 50% faster than you? Be my guest. :P