Mad King’s Labyrinth update

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mike O Brien

Mike O Brien

President -- ArenaNet

Next

Hi all,

You’ve probably noticed that the champions in the labyrinth haven’t felt as challenging this year as they did in previous years. The only actual change to them was a bug fix to the lich to keep him from summoning unlimited minions at high event scaling. But they all felt easier because they hadn’t kept up with the power growth of the player base. We gave them all quick buffs today.

Additionally, with this map being as profitable as it is, a lot of players have started triggering diminishing rewards. That’s just not cool. So we disabled diminishing rewards on this map.

Mo

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

No DR in the Labyrinth… ohmahgosh. I never thought it’d happen. Thank ye based Anet!

Posted by: Blazing Liger.1236

Blazing Liger.1236

So I can farm trick-or-treat bags to my heart’s content? I’m…totally okay with this!

It’s hard to do jumping puzzles with a big, fuzzy butt.

Posted by: Waringham.5914

Waringham.5914

That is a step in the right direction! I love that you make this change THIS year, as well. As many others have suggested over the past couple of days – please consider expanding your festival content in the future!

Posted by: Felblade.8701

Felblade.8701

Now people can spam their 1 skill all day! Anet’s plan to make everyone zombies for Halloween, literally.

Posted by: Cronos.6532

Cronos.6532

Mike O’Brien saves Hallowe’en!

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
etherealguardians.com

Posted by: Pat.9038

Pat.9038

That’s very generous of you Mo! Thank you and Happy Halloween!

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

As always, you rock sir.

~EW

Posted by: SRoode.7318

SRoode.7318

Thank you so much! I was getting DR after 30 mins!

Happy Halloween!!!!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I’m liking what I see from MOE in this last 10 months or so. I really feel like he is keeping in touch with the players.

The Burninator

Posted by: seabhac.5346

seabhac.5346

Hooray for no DR!

Attachments:

Posted by: Black Iris Flowers.3418

Black Iris Flowers.3418

Now people can spam their 1 skill all day! Anet’s plan to make everyone zombies for Halloween, literally.

gets more challenging content and more loot
complains

Thank you Anet!

Posted by: iroh.2871

iroh.2871

(edited by iroh.2871)

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

I guess people are going to start making Mike O’ memes.

Posted by: Power.2957

Power.2957

What about DR in Ascent to Madness?

“Power is like the illuminati of Guild Wars.” -Loshon

Posted by: Laurie.1698

Laurie.1698

Yes!! Thank you for that. No diminishing rewards is awesome. As far as harder lab. bosses, well, it was really no challenge to have them go down that fast, so the challenge is back…so that’s a good thing.

“Do not scorn caring and sympathizing, they are the gifts of a gentle heart!”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Thank You!

Posted by: Aurust.8961

Aurust.8961

Would be nice if you guys actually ever clarified the DR mechanism officially.

Master- [DKLT] The Darkness and The Light
JQ WvW

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

As someone who doesn’t plan on farming the lab much this is great news. It means I’ll be able to just buy everything for less.

Get to work you minions! :P

PS: Lich can still be very deadly if you are using a Flamethrower.

Posted by: Moorbazan.3167

Moorbazan.3167

Now do the same with Ascent to Madness PLS!

Posted by: Wolfdragon.4598

Wolfdragon.4598

Any chance increasing the Drop rate for Tattered Batwing since they are needed in more recipes?

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

What about making the Clocktower rewards desirable again?

IIRC, originally the small chests gave 3 ToT bags and the end gave 15-10-5 in diminishing returns for first, second and following daily completions, with the first of the year also giving an exotic (originally boots, then gloves for three years, iirc).

Now it’s a consistent 1 for small chest each, and 5 for big chest, with 20 emphyreal fragments on first daily completion (only 20 for something that’s so common?).

What about DR with Ascent to Madness?

Which happens to be the one place to get Tattered Bat Wings needed for Nightfury and all the endless tonics.

Can we know why Inquisition was removed last year?

I’m pretty sure we were never told, and it was enjoyed. Same with the Bloody Prince fight from 2013/14. (I do think we were told why Reaper’s Rumble, the backpack scavenger, and the three open world metas didn’t return but it would be awesome to have those back too). More content = more things to do = less static feeling to the content.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Hi all,

You’ve probably noticed that the champions in the labyrinth haven’t felt as challenging this year as they did in previous years. The only actual change to them was a bug fix to the lich to keep him from summoning unlimited minions at high event scaling. But they all felt easier because they hadn’t kept up with the power growth of the player base. We gave them all quick buffs today.

Additionally, with this map being as profitable as it is, a lot of players have started triggering diminishing rewards. That’s just not cool. So we disabled diminishing rewards on this map.

Mo

Cool I definitely noticed that the viscount took longer to kill today but I just figured that was because it was a bigger blob so he was scaled up way more.

Good ninja change, looking forward to doing more labyrinth, its almost stupid how much fun it can be to level alts in there

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

What about making the Clocktower rewards desirable again?

IIRC, originally the small chests gave 3 ToT bags and the end gave 15-10-5 in diminishing returns for first, second and following daily completions, with the first of the year also giving an exotic (originally boots, then gloves for three years, iirc).

Now it’s a consistent 1 for small chest each, and 5 for big chest, with 20 emphyreal fragments on first daily completion (only 20 for something that’s so common?).

Only one from small ones now? Last year it was 1, 1-2, 2-3, making the end result 9, 10, or 11 for each run if changing instance after every completed run.

let the sky fall

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

So glad you guys were happy with the changes! Mo is tracking this thread, plus I sent him your notes of approval.

Thanks for your understanding, and… as a major fan and participant in the Shadow of the Mad King content (especially Labyrinth!) I just have to say thanks to our team for responding to your concerns to well!

Now, back into the fray!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: TheDevice.2751

TheDevice.2751

I really wanted to not say anything but i just cant help it.

Why cant you just be honest and say “power growth of the game” instead of “power growth of the playerbase” as if we have some control over the damage abilities do. The game has obviously had a power growth across the board. Its not even a big deal to just admit it. I just don’t even see the necessity to be less truthful in this scenario even.

What does “power growth of the playerbase” even mean? Maybe If i knew what that meant this wouldn’t bother me so much lol. I dont even know why im bothered by this its like when my nephew lies even when there is the smallest degree of chance it might look poorly on him if the truth were to be told.

Why couldn’t you just say the fact?

(edited by TheDevice.2751)

Posted by: asunaki.8539

asunaki.8539

Thank you You are really listening and respond quickly ! I’m eager to fight lich again

Posted by: Daiki.6237

Daiki.6237

As the main scribe for 2 guilds.. It would be nice for higher drop rate for the mats needed to craft Halloween decor like tattered batwings and the pumpkin smasher.. Would also be nice to have more stuff added for next year maybe like webs, ghosts, mummys…etc

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I personally think that the “power creep” has put PvE in a generally good position. I’ve had a LOT of fun over the past year since getting specializations set up on my characters, etc. More fun that I’ve had in the 3 years previous to that.
With that said, I do appreciate the buff to the bosses in lab. about half an hour ago, I was leading in the lab and we had the classic zerg-wipe scenario of Viscount plus Horror, and it was an appropriately difficult fight, in my opinion. We had a couple who fell, but usually the downed were able to pop right back up due to guardians with reflect trait when they rez people, etc. It was a perfect level challenge for a zone that is just festival fun.
As for removing diminishing returns, I have long been against the use of DR in general in the game, so I sincerely hope this is not just a nice gesture, but that Anet is testing to see the kind of impact removing it has. This is the perfect place for it, because a large majority of the items gained are low value, or related to the festival specifically.
But yeah, I’ll say it. Thanks for turning that off.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I really wanted to not say anything but i just cant help it.

Why cant you just be honest and say “power growth of the game” instead of “power growth of the playerbase” as if we have some control over the damage abilities do. The game has obviously had a power growth across the board. Its not even a big deal to just admit it. I just don’t even see the necessity to be less truthful in this scenario even.

What does “power growth of the playerbase” even mean? Maybe If i knew what that meant this wouldn’t bother me so much lol. I dont even know why im bothered by this its like when my nephew lies even when there is the smallest degree of chance it might look poorly on him if the truth were to be told.

Why couldn’t you just say the fact?

“Power growth of the game” isn’t being honest or better. “The game is now more powerful!” what does that even mean? “Players are now more powerful” provides an accurate description of what has actually happened.

Posted by: Matt Stacey.7415

Matt Stacey.7415

Awesome now if we could just revert SoI and Lich Form we’d be all set

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Last year it was 1, 1-2, 2-3, making the end result 9, 10, or 11 for each run if changing instance after every completed run.

In 2012, it was 1, ~5, ~7, ~10, and by the time you looted the chest, you were just in time for the next run, or if you wanted a new instance, you could talk to the NPC to immediately join a new one. I used to run it for like an hour back then, which rewarded more bags than the lab. Nowadays, just zerg doors and hop maps.

Posted by: Qori.9671

Qori.9671

I feel like one of the skritt in metrica providence passing out over these changes !!!

Posted by: Make Rye Known.6273

Make Rye Known.6273

Thank you so much guys!
Thank you for listening to our small voices<3

Rye~~

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well done! Thank you, Mike, for caring for and communicating with your players. =)

As above, you rock!

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Hi all,

Mo

Even the complete GW2 addict that I am, even I haven’t cared to play this week. Mo swoops in, drops the mic, and boom, I’m freak’n logging in tonight!

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Still experiencing DR in the Labyrinth. Maybe it doesn’t apply for events. Sigh.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Last time I went in, a couple hours ago, I noticed that my loot drops still looked like they had DR ongoing even though that char had done some events elsewhere. I quit after a half hour. I’ll give it another try.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Evil Octopi.8253

Evil Octopi.8253

Great news! Thanks guys. On a side note, like others have asked, how about DR in the Ascent to Madness. Sooo many wings are needed for tonics and such, but they don’t seem to drop. I have already run 4 times and have not received one. I did notice my bags diminishing as well

Posted by: Atenhara.2947

Atenhara.2947

When will Lich be deadly again? I just ran around the Lab for 30 minutes about an hour ago and Lich was a simple zerg. Last year it was very very deadly, Right now all you need to do is hit the 1 key often, don’t even have to move.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Changed characters to one that’s not done any Halloween content yet, and still experiencing DR in the Labyrinth. Not sure what to do.

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

thank you thank you thank you!

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Thank you MO!!!

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Bilaal.5012

Bilaal.5012

This post forced me to log in and write a BIG THANK YOU! LOVE YOU ANET!!! <3

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Still experiencing DR in the Labyrinth. Maybe it doesn’t apply for events. Sigh.

Last time I went in, a couple hours ago, I noticed that my loot drops still looked like they had DR ongoing even though that char had done some events elsewhere. I quit after a half hour. I’ll give it another try.

Can you give more details? I’m playing Labyrinth right now — have been doing so for a couple of hours — and I’m noticing a significant increase in drops and no DR apparent. I’m talking the whole gamut, from doors to the bosses or regular kills.

If you could give some details, it would be very helpful. Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

I logged in just to respond too, Bilaal.

This sounds pretty awesome as I’ve never done the labyrinth before. Maybe I will join the other players and use my owl tonic, and sing “Magic Dance” while everyone is fighting all the baddies.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t have exact numbers. I went in and found a busy map and started farming. Going by memory and not having noted exact times and numbers, what I saw was I killing mobs and getting bones and doing doors on my guardian with traps and staff and getting a couple of tot bags. I stopped after about half an hour or so and had ~19 tot bags. I don’t know if this is average or not, but it looked low to me. The char I used had had DR in there previously but should have been removed as I did events with it.

Maybe that’s average or my memory is faulty. Next time I go in I’ll use a different char and note the times and numbers.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Just want to throw in a thanks for this too. Thought he DR did give me a cahcne to play some alts I hadn’t played in a while. Also, thanks for making Charles able to be sold.

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Yay, I can play on my main all night long Thanks for that.

But while we’re at it: I bought the permanent scare crow finisher last year and as a result can’t use the limited use finishers, which kind of makes sense, or not, as I have to type in their amount and name to get rid of them. Could you please change that – I really hate having to type in the name of stuff I want to delete, especially for stuff that’s “useless” anyway (makes sense for legendaries e.g.).

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Epic! I love the lab map it’s probably my favorite part of Halloween.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|