Mad Memories is back!

Mad Memories is back!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

I am the sort that doesn’t purge nearly enough.
I happened to have the Meter and chapters 2 and 4, so I was happy to hear this may have been possible to get this year.
However, I was unable to get past the editions located outside of LA.
I do hope to have a chance to get it, now that I have explored enough of the world to find the chapters.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Karlos.2178

Karlos.2178

So, I had accidentally deleted the character I had that had this item shortly after the 2012 halloween event ended. The wardrobe update didn’t include my Mad Memories (as expected). My question is simple: Can I or can I not obtain the Mad Memories this year?

Seriously, did you not read the two posts directly above yours?

ANet should make it available for people who can spell it.

You know.. I just discovered, unless stopped, my Chrome automatically changes “Memoires” to “Memories.” Apparently, “Memoires” is not a real word. “Memoirs,” however, is a real word.

“Mémoire” (with accent and with -e) is French. It translates to “memory”. “Mad Memories” is not all THAT wrong.

“Memoire” (without accent but with an -e) doesn’t really mean anything.

So the first people to misspell whatever this is (probably “Memoirs”) were ANet.

;)

What you’re saying isn’t false, but “mémoires” in French does have another meaning as memories, one which fits a LOT more to the situation. It’s the one you mentionned (“memoirs” in English): https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/m%C3%A9moires#Nom_commun. As in, some sort of autobiography, to keep it simple. It’s linked to the “memories” meaning, but very distinct.

Now given that the in-game item doesn’t have an accentuated letter and that the English term exists, surely it was an oversight / confusion. Just wanted to clarify that though

So it looks like only the first 3 sites are aviable. Great, I thought I could get the skin again since I deleted the item halfway between the first Halloween and the implementation of the wardrobe, but nope, apparently I can’t.

On the same boat as you buddy. But hey, we must be entitled.

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I can’t get chapter 4. For some reason the NPC is not showing up.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Sadly, I can’t even get past the first npc. She just keeps mumbling incoherently.

Bugged, perhaps?

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: reMURPed.8127

reMURPed.8127

I think it’s available only for characters that are 2yo? Cause I was trying to get the first page ony my 1yo guardian and I couldn’t make it but when I logged in with my 2yo engi I got all three pages. And since halloween update was four days ago I think fourth page will be obtainable today cause maybe they’re unlocking one page per day?

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Unleashed.9480

Unleashed.9480

There is a priest of grenth at the third location that tells you, that he senses a restless spirit and tells you to come at nightfall.

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I wish Halloween was more like Guild Wars Halloweens. An exclusive hat/backpiece/something each year.

Same for Wintersday. I wonder why they went a different route. Oh, well.

Mad Memories is back!

Arikyali.5804

I wish Halloween was more like Guild Wars Halloweens. An exclusive hat/backpiece/something each year.

Because people have real life. Players will miss events when real life takes over. I am very happy they bring stuff back, because I sometimes didn’t get the chance to enjoy it the first time around.

I’m not compelled to grind for “exclusive” pixels that are one-shot-only if you logged in on x amount of days. It’s one of the reasons I bought this game in the first place – I know it can fit in my busy life.

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Chabo.7498

Chabo.7498

Because people have real life. Players will miss events when real life takes over. I am very happy they bring stuff back, because I sometimes didn’t get the chance to enjoy it the first time around.

I’m not compelled to grind for “exclusive” pixels that are one-shot-only if you logged in on x amount of days. It’s one of the reasons I bought this game in the first place – I know it can fit in my busy life.

If you have the time to post on the internet forum, i’m sure you have the time to finish the quest.

Two weeks is enough time for even the most busiest of people, if they really care enough about an exclusive hat they will put the time into getting it.

Roaming/Raid Mesmer

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Ishtar.6457

Ishtar.6457

isn’t it used to be update daily? new quest around lion’s arch will be available each day or something like that. i kinda forgot.

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Cayena.9647

Cayena.9647

Oh, that is so awesome! Thank you for sharing this!

Yes, thanks a bunch!

Gaile Gray you are the biggest tease ever. What does this mean? Thanks? “Thanks for sharing this information so other people may collect the backpack” or “Thanks for pointing out this bug so we can REMOVE IT AND CRUSH YOUR PITY LITTLE DREAMS”

._. I nearly got a heartattack seeing this post. I want it soo bad. it’s my number one regret in gw2.

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

My char is 2 years old and it’s bugged on the 4th chapter for me. I don’t think it has anything to do with your char’s age or participation to previous halloween events.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Seraphina.6859

Seraphina.6859

Sadly, I can’t even get past the first npc. She just keeps mumbling incoherently.

Bugged, perhaps?

I have the exact same issue T_T
Serene won’t offer dialogue options for me, so I can’t get the first book.

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

how do you talk to serene, I talked to her and nothing happened.

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Koviko.3248

Koviko.3248

how do you talk to serene, I talked to her and nothing happened.

I just had the same experience. It says that I need to do something with the Priory, but what?

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: JaxomNC.5381

JaxomNC.5381

What you’re saying isn’t false, but “mémoires” in French does have another meaning as memories, one which fits a LOT more to the situation. It’s the one you mentionned (“memoirs” in English): https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/m%C3%A9moires#Nom_commun. As in, some sort of autobiography, to keep it simple. It’s linked to the “memories” meaning, but very distinct.

To be more precise:

“Une mémoire”, feminin word means a “memory”.

“Un mémoire”, masculin word means an “autobiography” or some scholar or university work as a thesis, usually taking the form of a long to write and very large book. This one fits the name of the Mad King’s Memoirs.

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Well that’s disappointing. I saw this topic and thought I’d finally be able to finish it.

I wasn’t able to finish the second part because I made 4 characters at launch and didn’t want to rush levelling them so I wasn’t high enough level for the second part, and didn’t bother asking my guild to run me through because I assumed I could do it the next year.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Well that’s disappointing. I saw this topic and thought I’d finally be able to finish it.

I wasn’t able to finish the second part because I made 4 characters at launch and didn’t want to rush levelling them so I wasn’t high enough level for the second part, and didn’t bother asking my guild to run me through because I assumed I could do it the next year.

I can’t even get it started. I don’t know which of us would be more frustrated.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Yes, thanks a bunch!

Could you please clarify? Are you thanking him for reporting a bug? And if so, what s considered a bug here – the fact that event is impossible to complete, or that the ghosts show at all?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Kraeje.5861

Kraeje.5861

so we still can’t get the skin of the first book if we allready did it 2012?

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Got my one 2 years ago (store both in the bank so no need to unlock any more skins)… still nice that others will also be able to get it. Now ANet just needs to allow me to upgrade it to ascended… or at least exotic.

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

I would already be happy if I could at least get the whole story.^^ And no Wiki or something is no real substitute.

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Mnl.8146

Mnl.8146

Ok, here is what I know so far:

*You need to use your oldest character (mine is just over two years) for the first NPC or you will not be able to interact with her for the 1st part. I could not interact with the NPC on another character that was created only a few months ago.

*The first two other NPCs in LA are there where the previous posters mentioned them. They dissapear/reappear every few minutes, just wait there for a while.

*The last three NPCs that are located outside of LA are not there anymore (I followed the 2012 Dulfy guide). I teamed up with some other people that were also looking for them and they had no luck either. We waited for it to become night again, nothing. Some guy camped the graveyard in QD for over an hour, nothing.

So in short, I think these NPCs were never intentionally placed there with this release, Anet simply forgot to delete them after the 2012 event. I still hope Anet does something with this scavenger hunt though. I only started playing GW2 just before the 2012 event and like a true MMO noob I didn’t do most of these things back then. This is my chance to still complete this backpack so I can add it to my wardrobe.

Attachments:

(edited by Mnl.8146)

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: OrcishFury.1058

OrcishFury.1058

This did not work for me. I tried speaking to the first ghost on the oldest character I have (created at launch, and yes I checked his age.) and I couldn’t interact with her.

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

*You need to use your oldest character (mine is just over two years) for the first NPC or you will not be able to interact with her for the 1st part. I could not interact with the NPC on another character that was created only a few months ago.

This is not true. While the age of your character certainly seem to be an issue, the relative age (as compared to your other characters) definitely isn’t.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Kotone.6597

Kotone.6597

*The first two other NPCs in LA are there where the previous posters mentioned them. They dissapear/reappear every few minutes, just wait there for a while.

*The last three NPCs that are located outside of LA are not there anymore (I followed the 2012 Dulfy guide). I teamed up with some other people that were also looking for them and they had no luck either. We waited for it to become night again, nothing. Some guy camped the graveyard in QD for over an hour, nothing.

So in short, I think these NPCs were never intentionally placed there with this release, Anet simply forgot to delete them after the 2012 event. I still hope Anet does something with this scavenger hunt though. I only started playing GW2 just before the 2012 event and like a true MMO noob I didn’t do most of these things back then. This is my chance to still complete this backpack so I can add it to my wardrobe.

I spent few hours yesterday and found pretty much the same thing, however, the 2012 Halloween has 4 chapters, that is the same as this year, what if Anet threw in an Easter Egg without telling anyone? What if we can find 3 new pages every week (same as the original)?

Don’t give up hope…yet.

I am not sure of the new players, but if they do release them every week, we most likly will not need any special items to find them and they will work like how the 3 LA ghosts look now (come and go).

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Same for me! It did work for me aswell to talk with those NPCs as you mentioned but I couldn’t find any else NPCs for continue with the pages…
I had no idéa what to do back during 2012 Halloween (I was a noob back then,) so I didn’t had the chance to get those backbags!

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

We’re going to have to wait and see if it get’s added in. There’s no way around it in game at the moment.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Mad Memories is back!

Arikyali.5804

Ok, I took my oldest character, who is only 2 more months away from her 2nd birthday – no reaction from Serene. So if it is linked to character age, they do have to be 2+ years old.

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Maybe it depends on the Shadow of the Mad King achievements, or if the account has the variables set as having gotten the item before.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Maybe my character talked to Tassi back then and that set a flag that enabled me to now talk to the ghosts.

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Korossive.7085

Korossive.7085

Yes, thanks a bunch!

Gaile Gray you are the biggest tease ever. What does this mean? Thanks? “Thanks for sharing this information so other people may collect the backpack” or “Thanks for pointing out this bug so we can REMOVE IT AND CRUSH YOUR PITY LITTLE DREAMS”

._. I nearly got a heartattack seeing this post. I want it soo bad. it’s my number one regret in gw2.

Feel free to wait with hopes yet another year, just to be disappointed then again. If they can, they will give you all the components and then remove the NPC that completes the item.

Why? Management decided.

I wish Halloween was more like… Oh, well.

I wish Halloween was fun.

Only consolation here is that the winter’s day event was never too bright, so that floor isn’t too far for players to crash on this time around.

(edited by Korossive.7085)

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I have the first 3 parts and I stil have the candy corn matter meter, but I do not get the 4 5 or 6.

I got the basic book, I earned it the firsat time, but I was in hospital for the second period. leaving me no choice but to wait and see, which I found out a year ago was a mistake.
I still hope to find/make/aquire the 2nd part

In effect I need to remake the first book as it is soulbound to an other character then my candycorn matter meter is bound to..

And I will need to revisit the 6 other points for part 2 of course… they seem out of order as well…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Ghostwind.4380

Ghostwind.4380

This game needs exclusivity like it needs a server cluster made up of 286 IBM’s.

Stop feeling entitled to it. Events are boring if you cant earn exclusive items.

i, and many others, embrace every tear you shed upon learning something has lost its exclusivity

Good for them, and I embrace any complaint about people who feel entitled to having access to everything in an MMO. Maybe they should play single player games instead.

Remember happy people rarely visit the forums. So it likely the people who are happy with exclusive items is much larger than the few who keep crying for inclusiveness here.

I’ve used the MM backpack for most of my alts since I obtained it. Frankly I think it’s still one of the best back piece skins in the game. Even compared to the holographic wings which is my second favorite. The MM back piece just looks so crisp. I can totally understand new players wanting to have it and get a chance to earn it. Then again, it does send the message to everyone “I was there at the first Halloween event, at the start” which does mean something. I’d think it would be ok if they still allowed obtaining the book, but change it color of the flame or something so it’s not the same. Light Green maybe? Just something subtle to tell the difference between the time period when it was obtained.

Attachments:

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Ixeya.7083

Ixeya.7083

Please ArenaNet staff, clarify the issue and not have people who for lack of information, not get your rewards.

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

That’s too bad. The flaming book is my favorite backpack item as well. It’s still the one I use, and it has an added bonus of lighting a dark area like a torch.

Unfortunate new players can’t enjoy it.

Gone to Reddit.

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yeah I use the completed version on my ele, but I managed to get both versions in my wardrobe when the wardrobe update went down. I Feel bad for those that don’t have it or can’t get it, as its a great back item.

I’m making an ascended back item just to skin it on it.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

Personally I think ANet should consider putting these items back in game every holiday.

The wardrobe makes many people completionists. Having gaping holes in your wardrobe that you are unable to fill because you weren’t playing back then or because you deleted the item back before there was a wardrobe (since inventory space was becoming an issue with more backpieces than you might have characters to wear them) is frustrating to these people.

The Mad Memoire scavenger hunt was well received and ANet should think about bringing it back each year for all the people who want this item

^
Strongly agreed. And I tried checking to see if there was a chance, but nope.. hopes shot down again.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Personally I think ANet should consider putting these items back in game every holiday.

The wardrobe makes many people completionists. Having gaping holes in your wardrobe that you are unable to fill because you weren’t playing back then or because you deleted the item back before there was a wardrobe (since inventory space was becoming an issue with more backpieces than you might have characters to wear them) is frustrating to these people.

The Mad Memoire scavenger hunt was well received and ANet should think about bringing it back each year for all the people who want this item

They should put the stories in the journal as temporary holiday story missions you can play with each character. Then you give 1 token for Halloween story 1 (Shadow of the Mad King) , 2 for bonus achievements of story 1, and let people use them to get either the past rewards (1 token mad memoires, 2 tokens complete edition) or new ones (cobs, ToT bags, recipes, etc). Same for Halloween Story 2. If a new story is added in a Holiday, another chapter to the holiday story is added.

Then you can play them once for the max rewards, replay for achievements, and then replay with other characters for lesser rewards.

Something similar to how festival quests work in GW1.

Having the system not using it for things like these is a waste!

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Yes, thanks a bunch!

Chances are she knows as little about it as we do.

Still, she is in a position to ask that we don’t have. So there’s that.

Or words to that effect.

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: tim.1280

tim.1280

This post got my hopes up a bit too much… Tried with my character that has been created since head start and it didn’t work… Tried then with 3 other characters and no hope. It says something about visiting the priory in LA but there is no priory in la. Hope things will be cleared up soon.

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

sadly doesnt work, talked with Serene with my oldest and my youngest character, nothign works, can’t start it..

ANet should bring the Mad Memoires finally back and be it through a new scavenger hunt maybe…

But just reactivating the old mechanics would be naturally alot easier.
Why do i feel myself now like a second class player, knowing that the Chinese Players on their Server got the Mad Memoires active working in their Client Version cause its their first Halloween, when Anet should treat us all the same like and the reason why alot of things get currently repeated is due to the Chinese people having the game now also too and are able to do now all the stuff, that we had 2 years ago basically.

Whats so hard about it to brign back this one single BackPiece.
You even brought back finally this year the Pumpkin Carver Achievement/Title back, which you didn’t have done last year, so that alot of people who missed that in the first year could finally get it this year done.

I really hope, that we will see the MM gettign finally reactivated and normal functionizing in its way of receiving it within the next week, before Halloween ends this year. That they just hold the MM only back for something to do in the last week of this years Halloween.

Otherwise Anet can absolutely expect this year again then a massive riot from disappointed people, which waited then for basically 2 years then for nothing to get that one single item. I see it coming and if that should happen, then I’ll be part of that for sure because there is no effort and no work about it to reactivate just some already existing game data around one single item and if you don’t want to reactivate the whole scavenger hunt, then there is always also the cheap solution to just sell the incomplete edition for corn cobs and let it throw us into the mystic forge together with other halloween stuff like 250 skulls, nougats and plastic toothsand turn it this way into the complete edition.

Come on Anet, how long do you want us to wait for 1 single item, that tons of thousands of people want to achieve!?

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Akuni.8604

Akuni.8604

[…]

Why do i feel myself now like a second class player, knowing that the Chinese Players on their Server got the Mad Memoires active working in their Client Version cause its their first Halloween, when Anet should treat us all the same like and the reason why alot of things get currently repeated is due to the Chinese people having the game now also too and are able to do now all the stuff, that we had 2 years ago basically.

Whats so hard about it to brign back this one single BackPiece.
You even brought back finally this year the Pumpkin Carver Achievement/Title back, which you didn’t have done last year, so that alot of people who missed that in the first year could finally get it this year done.

I really hope, that we will see the MM gettign finally reactivated and normal functionizing in its way of receiving it within the next week, before Halloween ends this year. That they just hold the MM only back for something to do in the last week of this years Halloween.

[…]

And that’s the point were all the arguments regarding “not fitting into this story” go poof. They have a functioning version with a mirrored event already, but instead cut it out for our release. You could have saved the time it would have taken deleting that piece of code, you know ArenaNet :/

Also yeah, I remember people being “Nu uh it’s my special title I don’t want anyone to have eeeeet” last year, but strangely there was no Riot whatsoever this year… I guess beringing back old stuff is not like opining the gates of hell after all, hah. And here I thought we’d have giant fire-breathing quaggans riding on the elder dragons when the title was introduced again.

It would be a really nice move to include the quest again next tuesday. A really, really nice move. People like nice moves. They tend to be benevolent if you’re nice to them (Oh shock!), eh…

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Thank you so much, ANet!

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Mad Memories is back!

Valento.9852

Hey I couldn’t find Magister Tassi in LA…

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Please read the rest of the thread, your questions are already answered in here.

Mad Memories is back!

Valento.9852

Sad.

/15chars

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Exeon.4358

Exeon.4358

I’m not a new player, but I missed Halloween 2012 regardless Anet doesn’t do exclusive items, and whenever they want they could add it as rewards again

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Unfortunately it seems that while the first 3 NPCs are there, it’s still not possible to actually complete the scavenger hunt to get a book.

Gaile, would it be possible for you to find out whether or not it’s supposed to be possible to do the scavenger hunt again? (I think the consensus from this thread shows that far more people want a chance to get the skins again.)

Mad Memories is back!

Posted by: Ixeya.7083

Ixeya.7083

Everyone assumed that since the last Anniversary of Queen, objects of past updates are reintegrated, *stop insisting on the exclusivity. *

All this loses meaning when in September a patch for NEW PLAYERS appear, that in October the best rewards are only for old players.

Many people will miss the opportunity to get the most valuable Skins by Raffle draw, in addition to get “Mad Memoires”. Considering it an annual event, what is the problem reintegrating these objects?

Do not think people should miss this, everyone should have the opportunity.
This may be a reason to leave the game (for me at least).