Magic Find - What I don't like

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

For the more immediate details, we’ll be releasing more info about our first May update here shortly.

Define “shortly” :P

My guess is 5/12 when they remove the MF dungeon. I’m hoping they’ll sneak a few additional updates into that patch (looking at you DS skill 5!)

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Some fun ideas in here, we’re also actively discussing ways on how we’d best like to alleviate having to make players choose between having better stats, or using magic find. It’s not a choice that’s great for game play and there isn’t really anything that fun about it, even more so when group composition is taken into account. Ideally we’d also like to keep the ability to slowly build your magic find over time, but doing this at the cost of using better stats isn’t the right way to do that.

No ETA on any changes here, just want to point out we agree there is an issue here that goes against what we want Gw2 to be, and is something we want to address.

Here’s an idea. Remove MF from the game and increase drop rates a bit. There, done. Everyone now has a small MF increase and nobody has to sacrifice anything to get it.

The problem with that approach would be that every thing but one item would drop in price the one item precursor would go up.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

Some fun ideas in here, we’re also actively discussing ways on how we’d best like to alleviate having to make players choose between having better stats, or using magic find. It’s not a choice that’s great for game play and there isn’t really anything that fun about it, even more so when group composition is taken into account. Ideally we’d also like to keep the ability to slowly build your magic find over time, but doing this at the cost of using better stats isn’t the right way to do that.

No ETA on any changes here, just want to point out we agree there is an issue here that goes against what we want Gw2 to be, and is something we want to address.

The way Magic find is currently applied has been part of the game and many people have invested heavily in time and money to put together a set of magic find gear. If you are going to change the method on how magic find is applied/built up/earned please keep this in mind. Even such Ascended items such as Lunaria have magic find in them. If a person invested into such gear because of mf care will have to be taken on how it is changed or you will have some upset people on your hands.

I have two full sets of exotic armour and accessories on my main, my dungeon/group play set and my solo/farming set. If you make the change so mf is no longer a valid stat on the mf gear it would essentially make that set of gear worthless.

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

The way Magic find is currently applied has been part of the game and many people have invested heavily in time and money to put together a set of magic find gear. If you are going to change the method on how magic find is applied/built up/earned please keep this in mind. Even such Ascended items such as Lunaria have magic find in them. If a person invested into such gear because of mf care will have to be taken on how it is changed or you will have some upset people on your hands.

I have two full sets of exotic armour and accessories on my main, my dungeon/group play set and my solo/farming set. If you make the change so mf is no longer a valid stat on the mf gear it would essentially make that set of gear worthless.

Like I said above – I feel by far the most beneficial change would just be to make it impact a whole party (based on an average) rather than just an individual player. That is seriously all it needs. Anything else would be a needless knee-jerk.

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

I only scanned through a few of the posts, but here is my thought. What it sounds like to me is the only people that dislike running MF in groups are the ones that only think zerker warriors and mesmers should be allowed in dungeon speed runs. My opinion is do the speed runs the way you want too. For those of you who wish to run MF gear in dungeons and fractals, find yourself a guild that doesn’t care if the run takes 4 minutes or 15 minutes. Our guild runs fractals and dungeons daily and some of us alternate what classes we bring just to freshen it up. To us, what matters is finishing the dungeon or fractal, not how long it takes.

If you are going to run a pug group through dungeons/fractals and just want to have fun, then start your own group and advertise all classes/stats welcome. Heck, have fun with it and say no zerk warriors welcome. If you don’t want to skip content then advertise that as well. Despite what the posts in this topic say, you can play the game how you want to play it.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Like I said above – I feel by far the most beneficial change would just be to make it impact a whole party (based on an average) rather than just an individual player. That is seriously all it needs. Anything else would be a needless knee-jerk.

No, that’s what Diablo 3 tried to do. It was a horrible idea.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Well, that’s great to hear.

I completely agree that MF doesn’t belong in a group setting (unless everyone in the group is fine with it). Statistically MF is worse than any other gear, and there’s 0% reason to use MF gear in a group setting besides the selfish “I want more loots” argument.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Einlanzer.1627

Yeah, except it wouldn’t work like how it did in Diablo 3. MF doesn’t have the value in this game that it does there, and that makes all the difference.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Yeah, except it wouldn’t work like how it did in Diablo 3. MF doesn’t have the value in this game that it does there, and that makes all the difference.

I don’t see how it’s different.

People will still feel like they are penalized for partying with people without MF, just like they did in D3.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Finally Anet officially acknowledges the bad (sorry, it is) implementation of MF. Thank you Colin and thank you OP.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Einlanzer.1627

I don’t see how it’s different.

People will still feel like they are penalized for partying with people without MF, just like they did in D3.

No, the difference is all in how much of a difference it makes. In Diablo 3 MF could increase your loot chances by up to 400%, that’s not really how it works in GW2 as I understand. It’s arguably more effective to forego MF and be able to kill/survive more efficiently. The key word is arguably- which is the better way to play is very subjective, unlike in Diablo 3 where MF was so good you were dumb if you didn’t stack it.

If we’re talking about making it a party wide benefit, we’re talking about making it work off of an average rather than a cumulative amount, which means that each character would only contribute a fraction of their actual MF to the group (including themselves). In other words, it would remain a tactical option rather than a mandatory pursuit and would carry equal weight with every other stat in a party.

In my opinion, the way it’s implemented in the game right now is perfectly fine with the exception that it’s selfish and therefore detrimental to group play. This would be a great tweak without requiring any massive overhauls.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

I agree, around 95% of my playtime is spent in open world, so I’m usually wearing Magic find unless I’m going a temple, or guild bounty.

Because of that, I’ve spent a lot of time building up my Magic Find gear, I’ve transmuted some of my MF weapons, and I have a couple ascended amulets both with 20% magical infusion, it would be disappointing if all of that was suddenly made obsolete, or not worth wearing.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

They should add something like alternate advancement (like the WvW ranking system) to increase bonuses and then shift away from MF gear. For example, for every X points, you could increase stuff like offense, defense or magic find by Y% vs that type of enemy. It would be small stuff like 1% damage or damage reduction or 5% magic find per point. Points gained or requirements could be stuff like killing that enemy type and completing events within specific regions.

They can’t just drop MF gear however, so the only way they’ll every get rid of it would be by increasing the level cap and then putting a “this doesn’t work past 80” on all of it. So really, the only way they could temporarily change MF would be by having it shared with your party in some way or disable it in instances.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

As many people that use MF say, they have both farming MF gear and different dungeon gear, the only place that MF is actually “bad” is in a dungeon, I fail to see why there is any need to remove MF anywhere else. Simply making MF useless in dungeons and also increasing the rewards of all dungeon chests should be enough.

Einlanzer.1627

As many people that use MF say, they have both farming MF gear and different dungeon gear, the only place that MF is actually “bad” is in a dungeon, I fail to see why there is any need to remove MF anywhere else. Simply making MF useless in dungeons and also increasing the rewards of all dungeon chests should be enough.

Or just making it spread to groups as an average. I don’t understand why other people don’t see that as the easiest, best solution.

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

D3 does have a magic find mechanic that works well, and it’s not a group-wide average. While you do get a flat bonus for being in a group and doing increased difficulty runs, there is also a buff you get for killing elite packs that gives a bonus to MF and XP.

I think that concept could fit into GW. You get up to a stack of 5 that lasts 30 minutes. There’s a cap on your maximum MF, so you feel less compelled to put it on your gear because that extra bonus is wasted once you’re at 5 of the buffs. Killing a champion, completing a group event, killing a boss in a dungeon, etc. adds 1 buff and resets the timer to 30 minutes.

I think with a little tweaking it could work in GW2. It’s a bit easier to “charge up” the buff in D3, so the ANet folks would have to figure some way around that. Maybe killing some of the mobs in dungeons on the way to the boss would give you a charge. I’m not sure about the implementation details, but it seems like the buff system would offer an incentive for folks to move through the content efficiently as a team if it was designed correctly.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I agree that MF in groups should apply to the entire group. At least the mf gear person would contribute that to a group.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

For the more immediate details, we’ll be releasing more info about our first May update here shortly.

Define “shortly” :P

Less than 30 days

Rajani Isa.6294

Or just making it spread to groups as an average. I don’t understand why other people don’t see that as the easiest, best solution.

Because backend, it might not be the easiest solution?

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

My warrior is my go-to MF character that gets kill credit so easily it’s ridiculous and therefore she’s geared appropriately. I never take her to dungeons or any group related events for that matter. The gear is a mix of explorer rare/exotic/green depending on my luck with drops. I have the superior luck sigil on one weapon and even the trinkets are explorer. I believe without food or buffs it’s about 120%.
Saying all that and after spending a lot of time trying to maximize that character to farm open world; I would still be overjoyed to see a change to magic find.

Infusing gear with magic find would be a way to make any gear magic find gear, without losing offensive/defensive stats.
Instead of 5% agony resist it would be 5%green/10%rare/15%exotic/20%ascended magic find. The runes (max MF of 5 pirate runes +1 traveler rune) would be compensated for, if you have each exotic piece with a minimum of 15% MF infusion.

Maybe they could even make it mithril & silk scraps to infuse. Cheapest infusion ever.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Rajani Isa.6294

Why should they increase the chests, though, if the chests are unaffected anyway?

Einlanzer.1627

Because backend, it might not be the easiest solution?

I considered that, I but I can’t see how it would be more difficult than a sweeping redesign of the whole system.

Invictus.1503

I don’t like that because then it just shifts the pendulum the other direction. “Unless you contribute XX amount of MF then you can’t party with us.” In addition, if you took it as an average number then it makes that even worse since one person with no MF lowers the overall average of other people’s MF gear.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: MrKnieves.4162

MrKnieves.4162

Skill > Gear stats.

I’ve seen people get slaughtered with toughness/vitality armor while I laugh at their corpses while wearing full MF gear.

Zheenn [Warrior] [Commander]| Alondra Del Mar [Thief] | Lorean Alisk [Elemental]
Rough Trade [RTGC]
Crystal Desert

Invictus.1503

Skill > Gear stats.

I’ve seen people get slaughtered with toughness/vitality armor while I laugh at their corpses while wearing full MF gear.

Agreed, but for the point of this discussion you have to assume all other variables are equal (otherwise it is a pointless discussion). So a player of exactly the same level of skill, knowledge of area, etc. who where full maximized gear is statistically going to fair better than one who gears for magic find.

Einlanzer.1627

I don’t like that because then it just shifts the pendulum the other direction. “Unless you contribute XX amount of MF then you can’t party with us.” In addition, if you took it as an average number then it makes that even worse since one person with no MF lowers the overall average of other people’s MF gear.

I disagree. I don’t think the stat is so critical that it will result in that amount of elitism. As I said above, it’s arguably more effective to ignore MF and focus on combat stats only so that you can survive and damage more optimally. MF will always be an item of controversy, but that is not inherently a bad thing. There is already controversy surrounding itemization in the game and that will never go away. I don’t think MF will belong to any special category of elitism with this change.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Skill > Gear stats.

Agreed, but for the point of this discussion you have to assume all other variables are equal (otherwise it is a pointless discussion). So a player of exactly the same level of skill, knowledge of area, etc. who where full maximized gear is statistically going to fair better than one who gears for magic find.

except that in game all variables are not equal and players are not judged on numbers, therefore to argue that one should be discriminated against because of their not perfect numbers on their gear no matter how good the player itself is just elitist.

Posted by: CrazyDuck.4610

CrazyDuck.4610

I say just don’t allow MF inside dungeons, simple fix. It will still be useful for events, farming etc but wont hinder dungeon play. Or allow party leaders to turn off MF, so if its off it wont allow party members to use MF gear or MF wont help the player wearing it. I also think we should have a way to preview gear so we can see if people are wearing MF, because now there is no way of telling even if the party leader requested party members to not use it.

YouWish – Guard
DragonBrand – [Agg] Aggression

(edited by CrazyDuck.4610)

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I say just don’t allow MF inside dungeons, simple fix. It will still be useful for events, farming etc but wont hinder dungeon play.

so what? Send some players into dungeons naked without any gear? How would that help?

Posted by: Ridley.3691

Ridley.3691

Haven’t read through the whole thread, so sorry if it’s already been given, but a great way they can make Magic Find gear help party members is if Magic Find amongst party members was added together and divided equally between them.

For example, 4 party members have no MF and one has 100%. It would mean all would now have 20%. Perfectly fair.

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

Skill > Gear stats.

except that in game all variables are not equal and players are not judged on numbers

Uh… yeah… that’s the POINT of assuming all variables are equal, other than the ones being looked at (in this case, the difference between Berserker/Rampager and Explorer).
The only way to compare things with each other is to eliminate as many variables as possible. And since they are numerically comparable if everything else is the same (say, comparing on a per-hit basis) it is valid. And it demonstrates the complete inferiority of one to the other.

Posted by: CrazyDuck.4610

CrazyDuck.4610

I say just don’t allow MF inside dungeons, simple fix. It will still be useful for events, farming etc but wont hinder dungeon play.

so what? Send some players into dungeons naked without any gear? How would that help?

Make MF not function in dungeons, so players wont use it instead of their main gear. Or have a way to turn it on/off to please everyone. Or just a way to view others gear so if we request no MF we can see if anyone isn’t listening.

YouWish – Guard
DragonBrand – [Agg] Aggression

Einlanzer.1627

Haven’t read through the whole thread, so sorry if it’s already been given, but a great way they can make Magic Find gear help party members is if Magic Find amongst party members was added together and divided equally between them.

For example, 4 party members have no MF and one has 100%. It would mean all would now have 20%. Perfectly fair.

Yup, that’s what I’ve been saying. Best and easiest fix by far; doesn’t require any pointless overhauls. IMO removing it altogether would cause a huge firestorm and there’s really no need for current itemization to suffer.

Rajani Isa.6294

Yup, that’s what I’ve been saying. Best and easiest fix by far; doesn’t require any pointless overhauls. IMO removing it altogether would cause a huge firestorm and there’s really no need for current itemization to suffer.

But, unlike some of those overhauls, it WOULD require programming time, I’d think (I don’t know if the system could handle a buff that’s added up/divided like that based on the number of people. Although as long as they were done as stack-able buffs, the adding part wouldn’t matter. But I don’t recall any buffs that scale down with the number of people you team with.)

It’s amazing how much easier it can be to get something done when it doesn’t require programming time.

Posted by: MrKnieves.4162

MrKnieves.4162

They are not going to remove it, however, they might “enhance” it by implementing a sort of “WXP” for PvE. Yay for more grinding. >.>

Zheenn [Warrior] [Commander]| Alondra Del Mar [Thief] | Lorean Alisk [Elemental]
Rough Trade [RTGC]
Crystal Desert

Posted by: typographie.1742

typographie.1742

I’m sure this won’t be the most popular sentiment, but I say they should just adjust the base drop rates and remove magic find entirely. I don’t understand why we have it in the first place—what problem in gameplay is it meant to resolve? Would we really miss it if it had never existed?

Einlanzer.1627

I’m sure this won’t be the most popular sentiment, but I say they should just adjust the base drop rates and remove magic find entirely. I don’t understand why we have it in the first place—what problem in gameplay is it meant to resolve? Would we really miss it if it had never existed?

Yes, I’d miss it. IMO it adds a little more flavor/depth to itemization. Also, it would be unfair to people who spent a lot of time getting end-game MF gear.

Einlanzer.1627

But, unlike some of those overhauls, it WOULD require programming time, I’d think (I don’t know if the system could handle a buff that’s added up/divided like that based on the number of people. Although as long as they were done as stack-able buffs, the adding part wouldn’t matter. But I don’t recall any buffs that scale down with the number of people you team with.)

It’s amazing how much easier it can be to get something done when it doesn’t require programming time.

I’m not going to claim to know either way, but as I said above I can’t imagine it being harder than a massive overhaul to the system and it’s a more ideal solution than just removing it altogether. I can’t imagine it’d be THAT hard, it’s a simple calculation.

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

make it a seperate stat which can be increased by finding rare-spawning artifacts which are hidden in not so easy to reach locations in the world. Not like the POIs, Waypoints etc. which are visible on the world-map. Something which rewards exploration.

To bring a bit variety, make these artifacts not the only things which can be found in the world. Rift and Everquest2 for example had those cool artifact-sets, where you had to find 5-10 pieces of a set to complete it and get something unique.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

(edited by Marcus Greythorne.6843)

Posted by: typographie.1742

typographie.1742

Yes, I’d miss it. IMO it adds a little more flavor/depth to itemization. Also, it would be unfair to people who spent a lot of time getting end-game MF gear.

I’d rather depth and flavor were added to itemization in ways that actually affects how our characters perform, rather than just giving us imperceptibly better odds in the loot lottery.

For that matter, when is magic find really enough of a choice to affect how deep or interesting itemization is? If you’re farming, you wear magic find. If you aren’t, you don’t. If you’re ever faced with a serious decision on whether or not you should wear magic find, its probably the wrong place to use it.

(edited by typographie.1742)

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

What % MF would I need to get glacial lodestones off ice elementals/ice imps and molten lodestones off fire elementals/fire imps (if fire imps exist…not so sure?), assume I just want 1 per hour?

I have had 140% MF and 10 hours later plus 1200 dead ice elementals/ice imps later, still no glacial lodestones…

Just keep grinding, MF is not that great for getting items that have a near-zero drop chance.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Einlanzer.1627

I’d rather depth and flavor were added to itemization in ways that actually affects how our characters perform, rather than just giving us imperceptibly better odds in the loot lottery.

For that matter, when is magic find really enough of a choice to affect how deep or interesting itemization is? If you’re farming, you wear magic find. If you aren’t, you don’t. If you’re ever faced with a serious decision on whether or not you should wear magic find, its probably the wrong place to use it.

Neither of us can win this argument, it’s just a matter of personal preference. From both a flavor and a depth-of-itemization perspective, I enjoy Magic Find as a stat that can optionally stand in for other stats. It’s just that simple.

Posted by: hatspixelscake.7506

hatspixelscake.7506

Cool, hopefully I can buy something nice with my 20 laurel refund from the MF infusion then.

Posted by: Wesley.4590

Wesley.4590

I just wanted to show my support for this thread. I also dislike the current MF system. In my opinion it should be as others have mentioned here before, an additional gear upgrade that you have to work for to get. I’d prefer a system where these upgrades have to be earned and not simply bought from a Merchant or something like that.
It has been stated earlier that you didn’t want people to have to swap to MF gear before looting a corpse or chest, but at the moment a system like that actually seems better than having people walk around during a fight with a (to the party) worthless MF stat where they should have another stat that supports their build to increase their usefulness. If most of the games content was solo-based than it wouldn’t be a big problem and would be totally up to a single player, but the game mostly consists of team play (whether you are actually in a team or not).

Posted by: marianitten.1247

marianitten.1247

MF is good but is terrible implemented…

• First of all, it need a % CAP. Like, 150% for example. So you don’t need to use absolutly all with MF(food, gear, runes, jewels)
  • Disabled on DUNGEONS/FRACTALS.
  • It need to increase over time like a base stat. Exactly what Diable3 did with the paragon system.
For Those About to Zerg (We Salute You)

Posted by: Malevil.2104

Malevil.2104

Colin, it’s great that you are considering change to MF, it was really a bad idea to even put in into game and now there is no easy fix to this.

I agree with OP that place where MF is real problem are dungeons. In my opinion best way to deal with MF in dungeons, would be to disable MF there and give players buff with berserker stats (or some way to choose preferred combination of stats) which would scale based on MF value on gear. This way you wouldn’t have to deal with refunds and MF gear wouldn’t be useless.

In open world keep it as it is.

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

Just remove it already or put Magic Find inspect option or something, it’s getting tired to kick at middle of the fractals.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

What about an alternate non-fractal line of infusions?

Currently all blue infusions are +5 stat, and +5 agony resist. That’s awesome if you’re running fractals, but if you aren’t you went through a lot of crafting headaches for that one extra stat point over the laurel version.

What if there was an alternate line of infusions that had MF in stead of Agony resistance? Similary, other non-combat stats like gathering bonuses, karma bonuses, and other such things are nice targets for infusions since they’d be essentially an extra utility stat in the same manner as agony resistance.

This would also allow some non-essential vertical progression that isn’t combat effective, which would give people something to do with all that loot that has real character advancement value without creating a power imbalance that makes people feel like they NEED to grind it (and subsequently complain at length about said progression) as you could have higher rarity/difficulty acquisition infusions tack on additional adventuring stats like:

Adventurer’s Malign Infusion

Fine
+5 Condition Damage
+5% Magic Find

Masterwork
+5 Condition Damage
+5% Magic Find
+5% Karma

Rare
+5 Condition Damage
+5% Magic Find
+5% Karma
+5% Gold

Exotic
+5 Condition Damage
+10% Magic Find
+5% Karma
+5% Gold

Ascended Variants!

Adventurer’s Malign Fractal Infusion (Exotic + Gift of Ascension in the MF)
+5 Condition Damage
+10% Magic Find
+5% Karma
+5% Gold
+5 Agony Resistance

Adventurer’s Malign Karmic Infusion (Exotic + Stack of obsidian shards)
+5 Condition Damage
+10% Magic Find
+10% Karma
+5% Gold

Adventurer’s Malign Shiny Infusion (Exotic + a bunch of Wine)

+5 Condition Damage
+10% Magic Find
+5% Karma
+10% Gold

Adventurer’s Malign Lucky Infusion (Exotic + Stack of Ectos)
+5 Condition Damage
+15% Magic Find
+5% Karma
+5% Gold

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

What about an alternate non-fractal line of infusions?

Currently all blue infusions are +5 stat, and +5 agony resist. That’s awesome if you’re running fractals, but if you aren’t you went through a lot of crafting headaches for that one extra stat point over the laurel version.

What if there was an alternate line of infusions that had MF in stead of Agony resistance? Similary, other non-combat stats like gathering bonuses, karma bonuses, and other such things are nice targets for infusions since they’d be essentially an extra utility stat in the same manner as agony resistance.

This would also allow some non-essential vertical progression that isn’t combat effective, which would give people something to do with all that loot that has real character advancement value without creating a power imbalance that makes people feel like they NEED to grind it (and subsequently complain at length about said progression) as you could have higher rarity/difficulty acquisition infusions tack on additional adventuring stats like:

Adventurer’s Malign Infusion

Fine
+5 Condition Damage
+5% Magic Find

Masterwork
+5 Condition Damage
+5% Magic Find
+5% Karma

Rare
+5 Condition Damage
+5% Magic Find
+5% Karma
+5% Gold

Exotic
+5 Condition Damage
+10% Magic Find
+5% Karma
+5% Gold

Ascended (Exotic + Gift of Ascension in the MF)
+5 Condition Damage
+10% Magic Find
+5% Karma
+5% Gold
+5 Agony Resistance

So another grind?

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

So another grind?

Yes and no.

What’s nice about certain MF recipies is that they can be acquired by doing all sorts of content. Obby shards are gained with karma, which you can get doing all sorts of stuff, same with ectos, and the gold for the wine. The gift is only gained from fractals, which makes it appropriate for the variant that adds agony resistance.

The concept of “grind” is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I view a grind as being forced in to one specific place doing one specific thing to gain the end result.

For instance, you MUST go to southsun and harvest plants, as well as kill specific mobs in other places to get the current infusion recipes. You must do specific dungeons to get the tokens for specific sets of runes and armor skins.

If the idea is that you can build these adventuring stats over time, then the logical implementation is to make the overall gain reflect as wide an array of content as possible, and have the output match the type of content done. Players that do a lot of events would logically get more karma, thus they progress toward the karmic variant easier. Players that hunt/mf/worldboss for ectos are moving toward MF, players that play the TP or are otherwise very adept at gaining large sums of gold progress easier toward the gold find one.

This sort of an upgrade path is built around the idea that you can do all sorts of stuff and gradually work toward the upgrades over time, with the exception of the fractal based one which is appropriately placed in the “gearcheck” requirements/repetition of fractals.

(edit: Looks like you replied before I edited in those other variants. Oops XD)

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)