I think Magic Find is really broken!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

My toon is wearing a full Travelers set plus 5 superior tunes of the pirate and 1 rune of the noble; the golden lotus +MF infusion a Yakkington’s ring; and superior sigil of life.

Attributes counter total MF at 0 stacks sigil of life = 110% = incorrect base total
At 25 stacks = 128! = incorrect sigil functionality.

Either the attributes counter is incorrect or MF mechanics are simply broken. Either way I’m quite disappointed by this.

(edited by OmniPotentes.4817)

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Having 100% Magic Find doesn’t mean you’ll have 2x the chance to find a magic item. It works like this:

“Everytime you kill a monster you roll on a number of tables, inside these tables are different rarity categories. Magic find increases the chances you will get higher categories. For example if there is a 1 in 10 category, and you have 200% magic find you will have 3/10 chances to get that category. This improves not just the rarity of the items you get but can also improve your chances at getting trophies and rare crafting materials like lodestones.”

Further more, Magic Find only affects the drop rate from defeated foes, and not any other source. So it has no effect on chests or node farming.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

(edited by Kasama.8941)

Posted by: Apolyon.6937

Apolyon.6937

It is working for me, I get plenty of blues and greens. I’m sitting on 130something % without food or guild banners.

Remember that magic find does only trigger when you kill a foe, it doesn’t work with harvesting, or chests, or dailies, or dragons.

If you want to put your magic find to good use, go and farm events with a large number of mobs, the more you kill, the more you will notice it.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

@ Kasama & Apolyon – I don’t think the OP is arguing its effectiveness, he is arguing the math and what the new counter in the Hero Panel is showing. I haven’t done the math so don’t know if he is correct or not, but your posts seem to suggest that he is saying something else. Granted the title of the thread could have been better, but the post itself seems clearly concerned with the counter’s mathematics.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

@ Kasama & Apolyon – I don’t think the OP is arguing its effectiveness, he is arguing the math and what the new counter in the Hero Panel is showing. I haven’t done the math so don’t know if he is correct or not, but your posts seem to suggest that he is saying something else. Granted the title of the thread could have been better, but the post itself seems clearly concerned with the counter’s mathematics.

Some people just pile on with the generic answers after reading the post title and not bothering with the actual body of it. I’m surprised the RNG acolytes haven’t shown up yet.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

My toon is wearing a full Travelers set plus 5 superior tunes of the pirate and 1 rune of the noble; the golden lotus +MF infusion a Yakkington’s ring; and superior sigil of life.

Attributes counter total MF at 0 stacks sigil of life = 110% = incorrect base total
At 25 stacks = 128! = incorrect sigil functionality.

Either the attributes counter is incorrect or MF mechanics are simply broken. Either way I’m quite disappointed by this.

I am confused…what has Sigil of Life to do with Magic Find? Is he saying Sigil of Life is giving him more Magic Find? Is it possible something else happened when he was stacking the effects of Sigil of Life that made the MF go up?

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

OmniPotentes.4817

I’m talking about Numbers. The totals just don’t add up!
Travelers armor set 6×3= 18%
Travelers weapon 1×3= 3%
5xSuperior Rune of the Pirate = 50%
1xSuperior Rune of the Noble = 10%
The Golden Lotus = 10%
Magical Infusion = 20%
Yakkington’s Ring = 10%
Total base MF = 121%

Sigil of luck at 25 stacks = 0.6×25 = 15%
Total plus sigil at 25 stacks = 136%

So why idoes the atribute panel indicate a base MF of 110% and at 25 stacks 128%?
The numbers just don’t add up.

And just to avoid any misunderstanding Both my rifle and GS are traveler + sigil of luck. Yes I know they don’t stack. But the more proof that the atribut counter and/ or mechanics are not working as they should be.

Posted by: Apolyon.6937

Apolyon.6937

@Invictus & @Neural Actually, now that the OP edited his message it makes more sense. When I wrote my answer it was not that clear what he was asking. Thanks for your non-generic answers…

Back to the topic. Yes, the magic find counter doesn’t work properly with items that doesn’t provide a fixed magic find value, like sigils, or other conditional bonuses (like additional magic find if you have a boon).

It was mentioned recently in another thread, but I couldn’t find it.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Here you go: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/MF-under-boon-Food-buff-Not-Working/first#post1940297

Also this: Superior Sigil of Luck will grant 0.6% magic find for each kill, up to 15% bonus.

source: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magic_find

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

Sigil of luck at 25 stacks = 6×25 = 150% wrong …..

it’s 0.6% per stack

wiki : Gain +0.6% Magic Find each time you kill a foe. (max 25 stacks; ends on downed)

so it give you 15% not 150%

OmniPotentes.4817

Ok so this clarifies the sigil part. I didn’t notice the . in the tooltip. I’m in need of an eye exam

But the base magic find total is still incorrect.

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

Sigil of luck at 25 stacks = 6×25 = 150%

There’s part of your problem.

0.6, not 6. it’s 15% at full stacks.

Also, thee’s a MF bug going around that if you get in to a downed state, your mf gear breaks and does not contribute the mf stat until you relog/requip it.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Magic-find-gear-broken-by-downed-state/first#post1938391

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, if they are having a display problem with one part of Magic Find, they may be having a display problem with other parts, as well.

If you feel it is broken, then it might be best to post in the Game bugs forum. =)

OmniPotentes.4817

Well, if they are having a display problem with one part of Magic Find, they may be having a display problem with other parts, as well.

If you feel it is broken, then it might be best to post in the Game bugs forum. =)

Will do.

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

There is something amiss with the counter or with the method used to total MF however I am going to do a bit more testing before I report it as a bug. Using a MF booster, a full set of MF gear, a sigil of luck, a Guild MF banner and omnom bars I got different numbers at different times reported in the hero panel. I started with over 200% total MF and when I refreshed the guild banner (before the timer was up) I had well under 200%. To get the 200 plus number to appear again I had to refresh the buffs again.

However as stated I noticed this one time only so far and am going to be watching a bit more closely on the number reported to the hero panel.

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Did you mean sigil of luck? Even so what grade/level sigil? I think it’s 0.2, 0.4, or 0.6 per stack.
From the Wiki:
At the maximum of 25 stacks, these sigils grant 5%, 10%, and 15% magic find respectively.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sigil_of_Luck

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

OmniPotentes.4817

Found this link:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Magic-find-gear-broken-by-downed-state/first#post1955145
So I re-equipped all my gear and now my base magic find total in the attributes panel indicates 128%. Which despite being better still is incorrect!

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Found this link:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Magic-find-gear-broken-by-downed-state/first#post1955145
So I re-equipped all my gear and now my base magic find total in the attributes panel indicates 128%. Which despite being better still is incorrect!

Keep in mind that it might just be a visual bug. Meaning your actual Magic Find will still be correct.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I have noticed my magic find of about 140% is registering 128% too i think something is a miss..

I always had a feeling Magic find was broken somewhere..

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Dang the MF I have has been adding up fine so far.
(I don’t have traveler’s or explorer armor)
Rune of the pirate: 50%
Rune of the traveler: 10%
weapon: 6%
The Golden Lotus: 30% Edit: I was included the 20% magical infusion
Other trinkets: 35%

= 131% + 10% from the guild bonus, so it shows as 141%

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

(edited by Lambent.6375)

Posted by: Zoey Hellry.7298

Zoey Hellry.7298

How can we be entirely sure that this is a visual bug? Now that ANET is calculating if for us and it is being displayed in the UI, the MF number displayed should be static considering boosters, sigils, and banners. ANET should allow us access to drop tables for accountability sake considering we now have visual access to our MF numbers and the variances in what we see.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

The Golden Lotus only adds 10% mf, not 30.

OP: try unequipping everything, note the hero panel’s mf total, then equip items one a time, noting how much should be added and how much the hero panel says was added.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I applied the Rune of Accuracy (5% crit) to one of my weapons and it does not count that as well – so I hope it’s only a display thing

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Lambent.6375

The Golden Lotus only adds 10% mf, not 30.

OP: try unequipping everything, note the hero panel’s mf total, then equip items one a time, noting how much should be added and how much the hero panel says was added.

I was counting the magical infusion.

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

100% of 0.1% of drop is 0.2% . That is why MF is kitten.

Posted by: Robin Da Poor.6281

Robin Da Poor.6281

My question about MF is this I start in say cursed shore fully kitted out with MF armour plus trinkets and MF stand at 108%, kill for stack of luck increases to say 124% then after a short while I look at my MF bonus and its dropped to 89% even though I have not died or been downed, why is this happening>

SharpShooters [SS] | Yak’s Bend |
Pro With A Bow| Mes Mer Relda |

Lambent.6375

Just got defeated on purpose, and MF went from 141 – 123.

I didn’t have any luck charges, or food buffs. But it went back to normal after I switched out my MF gear for my normal gear, and then put the MF gear back on.

@OmniPotentes.4817 When you took off your MF armor, did you just take it straight off and dropped it in the inven, then out it back on? Or did you replace the MF equips with other non MF armor, then put the MF gear back on after that?

Don’t know if it matters, just thought I would ask.

OmniPotentes.4817

Just got defeated on purpose, and MF went from 141 – 123.

I didn’t have any luck charges, or food buffs. But it went back to normal after I switched out my MF gear for my normal gear, and then put the MF gear back on.

@OmniPotentes.4817 When you took off your MF armor, did you just take it straight off and dropped it in the inven, then out it back on? Or did you replace the MF equips with other non MF armor, then put the MF gear back on after that?

Don’t know if it matters, just thought I would ask.

I replaced it with other equipment simply because its much quicker just clicking. Dragging is a drag

Posted by: Jay.4837

Jay.4837

Magic Find is a joke. Total useless garbage stat that takes up the spot of other useful stats. ANet doesn’t want you getting better drops. That screws up the economy. So, even with the max – 367% magic find, you’re going to get maybe 5% better drops than someone with zero.

I have been testing magic find for over a month, and my wife with ZERO made twice as much money farming the exact same events. If anything, magic find works in reverse.

Silence is Golden. Duct Tape is Silver.
http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3tshid/
Widgits 80 Asura Engineer

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Magic Find is a joke. Total useless garbage stat that takes up the spot of other useful stats. ANet doesn’t want you getting better drops. That screws up the economy. So, even with the max – 367% magic find, you’re going to get maybe 5% better drops than someone with zero.

I have been testing magic find for over a month, and my wife with ZERO made twice as much money farming the exact same events. If anything, magic find works in reverse.

White loot bags are worth more than blue and green items. While MF does increase your chance at an exotic it more often then not turns that potential charged lodestone into a 99cp vendor fodder blue item.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Lambent.6375

White loot bags are worth more than blue and green items. While MF does increase your chance at an exotic it more often then not turns that potential charged lodestone into a 99cp vendor fodder blue item.

Why would it do that? Charged lodestones are higher up in rarity (yellow), and I think charged lodestones and equip drops are in different categories.

From what I’ve read, a blue equip can be promoted to a green equip, or a rare equip, but the equip itself wont transform into a material item.

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

For what it is worth, with 171% MF I managed to find 3 charged lodestones today before my second omnomberry bar wore off. Was I a happy camper!

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’m surprised the RNG acolytes haven’t shown up yet.

All hail the Random Number God, or it shall smite you with bad luck on your drops until your penance is done.

. . . in all seriousness, I stopped running Magic Find when I realized I cared less about finding “better stuff” than finding specific stuff. Which MF doesn’t help with, so instead I just wear what I like. My play got a whole lot better after that.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Why would it do that? Charged lodestones are higher up in rarity (yellow), and I think charged lodestones and equip drops are in different categories.

From what I’ve read, a blue equip can be promoted to a green equip, or a rare equip, but the equip itself wont transform into a material item.

I was referring to the white loot bags ie Heavy Moldy Bag that have a chance to give a core/lodestone when opened.

The problem with MF is that it naturally progresses the item to the next rarity without regard for value. A high MF may change 30 Heavy Moldy Bags into 20 Heavy Moldy Bags and 10 blue items. In this scenario MF is working correctly but you’re actually losing money.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

Mf gets scale down too when u go to lower level…also it only works on kills not opening chest…

vvuevv