Major Concern- Mounts and "motion sickness"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

Is there a possibility to check the other mounts as well for motion sickness symptoms? As far as I see it from the trailers, each mount has different motion characteristics. If you fix the raptor only, the other mounts may still be causing motion sickness.

Posted by: Basharic.1654

Basharic.1654

Reporting on Charr riding raptor. No motion sickness. My FoV slider is at 75 percent Rotation speed zeroed out, Vertical far zeroed out. Collion sensitivity 10 percent. No camera shake. Zoom all the way out for riding. Usually only a tick or two zoomed in for fighting. Should also mention I have a widescreen monitor.

Posted by: slpr.2647

slpr.2647

are those getting MS watching their mount/char while moving? or watching ahead. if watching ahead, you dont even see the movements. watch your mount/char, it looks kinda goofy. i never really watch ME, i watch ahead. and while doing so on my mount, i dont even SEE the movements its making.

Posted by: Nereikia.3507

Nereikia.3507

i never really watch ME, i watch ahead. and while doing so on my mount, i dont even SEE the movements its making.

You don’t really get the problem, do you? It has nothing to do with mount’s running animations hun.

Posted by: kitsuneshoujo.5734

kitsuneshoujo.5734

I usually have issue with bouncy mounts – raptors in WoW, Chocobos in FF14 for instance, but haven’t had any trouble with them in this game. I have motion blur turned off or down (can’t remember which), and keep the camera zoomed out when I can.

Posted by: Assic.2746

Assic.2746

Whatever you do please do not change the mount’s movement delay. Right know with the delay it feels very natural and completly different than running/gliding.

Posted by: martin.1653

martin.1653

I don’t want to sound too heartless, but how do you people that get motion sickness deal with other games? Demand from developers to change core mechanics in movement in those games? Because that’s what would have to happen to riding in GW2 in order to remove the cause of your problems. And an ‘option’ and flick of a switch specially made for you is not a fix for this. You can’t have 2 different mount interactions and movement handling in game because one will always be better and have an advantage over the other.

Currently, mounts feel exactly what many people expected it to feel. Natural, heavy and organic when moving around.
Devs might make some minor changes and/or try to mend this issue, but a complete change in mount mechanics is not realistic at this point (2 months before release) and it is unfair toward all the people that enjoy mounts (which are I believe in the vast majority).

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I don’t want to sound too heartless, but how do you people that get motion sickness deal with other games? Demand from developers to change core mechanics in movement in those games? Because that’s what would have to happen to riding in GW2 in order to remove the cause of your problems. And an ‘option’ and flick of a switch specially made for you is not a fix for this. You can’t have 2 different mount interactions and movement handling in game because one will always be better and have an advantage over the other.

Currently, mounts feel exactly what many people expected it to feel. Natural, heavy and organic when moving around.
Devs might make some minor changes and/or try to mend this issue, but a complete change in mount mechanics is not realistic at this point (2 months before release) and it is unfair toward all the people that enjoy mounts (which are I believe in the vast majority).

For me, I do not get motion sickness in any other game except this one so your question is moot. And as for mounts, it has been shown on this very forum the “vast majority” did not want mounts in this game in the first place. It was done to appeal to a vocal minority just like raids.

I have been playing games since the Commodore 64 days. FPS are a favorite with crazy gravity and all kinds of crazy movements. I have played many MMOs including WoW and used mounts many, MANY times. Not once in any single game have I gotten sick to my stomach and a headache like this. I do not suffer from motion sickness at all in real life, not even the slightest. There is something wrong with this game, something that is effecting players and something they will need to fix before release or the complaints will just continue to grow.

Posted by: LadyHawk.5319

LadyHawk.5319

Admittedly, I have not read all of the posts, so I apologize if I am duplicating something. As a chronic, daily migraineur with chronic vertigo and dizziness, I understand the issues with the mount. I know many have suggested certain graphic adjustments and those should be sought. FoV, for me, is very handy. However, the other thing is time. Many need to give their brain time to adjust. Your brain is expecting your character to move a certain way while on the mounts and they are not. Once your brain gets used to the movement of your character in relation to the raptor and your surroundings, things will get better for many people who are struggling. I suggest you go out by yourself, as well. Don’t try to follow anyone. That’s too much at once. Just meander along or hangout in the city. Relax. Breathe. Know that it will get better. Give your brain time to adjust, make sense of things and to convey that information to you. Happy trails! =^.^=

Edit: One thing with the raptor that is different from mounts in other games is its, um, fluidity. Not sure if that’s the appropriate word. But it’s extra movements when stopping, turning, etc. It is more natural looking, feeling. And it is NOT normal for a MMO to go to that length of detail … except for GWs So you cannot compare these mounts to mounts in other games and call them flawed, imo. Did I get a migraine last night from them? Yep. Well, the mounts and simply having a new map to visually get used to. Did I get through it eventually and love the experience? Yep. Some, sadly, may not be able to used them, I don’t know. But I go back up to my original statement in saying, give it time. Don’t take on too much visually while letting your brain get used to it. I hope it works for you.

(edited by LadyHawk.5319)

Posted by: Nereikia.3507

Nereikia.3507

I don’t want to sound too heartless, but how do you people that get motion sickness deal with other games?

Other games? You mean Civ VI, or WoW, or what? If we’re talking about MMOs, i only play ffxiv and wow now, and they work perfectly fine for me (and they care about such issues). Anet is ready to release a mount-based expansion, and the effects they chose for the mounts do cause nausea. Ppl predisposed to MS (and migraines) tend to avoid games that can cause nausea, but ArenaNet already faced the problem from the very start of GW2 and introduced some features like Collision Sensitivity and Field of View settings in 2015 (yep, for some reason it took some years to develop, test and introduce those options).

So calm down and don’t underestimate the developers. Maybe they’ll find a solution suitable for everyone. If they really care.

Try to use this thread only for your feedback about MS. Keep it clean pls.

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

Most of you will know, but to be sure: don’t steer with your keyboard but use your mouse (right button pressed and move the mouse to go left or right).

Posted by: ElenaDragon.8401

ElenaDragon.8401

I get motion sickness extremely easily when traveling and from some visual effects, but I have had zero problems with the raptor mount. I keep my field of view maxed, motion blur off, camera shake off, and keep my camera zoomed out a fair amount.

Posted by: Dreamy Lu.3865

Dreamy Lu.3865

I just discover that thread and I am thankful for it. I did the primary to reach Elona yesterday and had to give up on it due to feeling unwell, up to nausea, at the raptor movements. It was really terrible. Sorry if it can sound stupid, but it’s a fact.

Today I tried to cope with it again. As long as the raptor is running straight, I watch far ahead or on mini-map and it helps somewhat. But the jerky side movement of the raptor when he stops , as well as using the tail skill and generally all the jerky twists get my stomach up in some seconds.

I never had that in the game before, so I am a bit surprised at it. Unfortunately it is real bad in my case.

I have told about it to guildies and I am not the only one with same trouble. Made me feel less an idiot! ;-)

So yes, I am part of those who will be happy if the raptor movements could be optimized to prevent this.

Posted by: Zoria.1392

Zoria.1392

Part of the problem is probably that the camera ZOOMS OUT when you mount and ZOOMS IN when you dismount. I don’t have motion sickness but I HATE the zooming in and out. I have to keep zooming back out after dismounting.

Posted by: tontonUB.4687

tontonUB.4687

Same problem here.
Any chance for an option bob/nobob (camera) added ?

Posted by: Ramoth.5162

Ramoth.5162

For the comment about what we do with playing other games with MS: I don’t. I won’t touch a FPS with a 10 foot pole. I can’t even watch people playing one. I played, Warhammer (Age of Reckoning), DAoC, and Wow. That’s it. And, I still get a burn in time to adjust when I leave off a game for a while and come back to it.
The mount issues are enough that I will not be able to play. I guess it will save some ducats.

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

I said in another thread that there needs to be a bit more fluidity when your mount is turning around/lining up to make a jump across a bridge or something. It’s very stiff and “heavy”, I never got motion sickness in this game until that horrific spinning room they stuck in one of the personal story missions (please I’m begging you, never ever! Add anything like that in this game again!)

Posted by: Tiny Doom.4380

Tiny Doom.4380

I don’t suffer from motion sickness but I was aware immediately on first mounting the raptor that something was “off”. Far from the movement feeling convincing or realistic as several people in the thread have suggested, I found it unconvincing, artificial and “gamey”. The slalom stop is particularly show-offy and unrealistic – that’s something a driver might do with a car, maybe, but can you imagine an animal actually doing that? Either its legs would snap or it would go end over end in a heap.

Regardless of whether the movement style is or isn’t “realistic”, though, if it causes health issues to players it should be changed. It’s a gimmick that’s not worth losing customers for.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Part of the problem is probably that the camera ZOOMS OUT when you mount and ZOOMS IN when you dismount. I don’t have motion sickness but I HATE the zooming in and out. I have to keep zooming back out after dismounting.

I didn’t notice this. I’m not saying it didn’t happen, maybe I just reflexively spun my mouse wheel to zoom out, but normally camera yo-yo’s like that bother the heck out of me.

I posted my camera settings early on the first page of the thread. In that post I didn’t mention one other key thing that I have seen others talk about here: Screen Shake. I’ve had that disabled since the Engineer revamp that let them make everyone’s screen shake repeatedly. I wonder if that is part of what people are reporting with the slewing around as the raptor stops?

Zoomed out with a wide FoV as I am, along with vertical displacement maxed when zoomed and camera shake disabled, my camera doesn’t change much if at all based on what the raptor is doing.

I took this shot due to amusement at all the racers just letting the Choya barge in rather than lose their slot in the race but it shows how distanced I am from my mounted character — I’m the one in the middle back of the pack with the Devoted greatsword on my back (golden blade with sunburst hilt for those unfamiliar with it). The camera settings make it very hard to look straight down to hit targets like the Draconis Mons bucket but hey, I’ll take that over motion sickness any day.

Attachments:

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

I’ve never experienced “motion sickness” while playing a game

Then you should try some first person shooters that have head bobbing. Pure evil! At least, most let you deativate that game mechanic. Ack…

but I’m feeling a bit “off” when I use mounts.

How can something where you are zoomed out from your character give your motion sickness?

I’m fine with the mounts. The only annoying thing is the constant mounting and dismounting. But we’ll see how that works out.

Posted by: Tink.9486

Tink.9486

I have Vertigo and actually take medication for it as well as chronic migraines. I have played almost every MMO out there, Rift, WoW, Daoc, Eq2 etc and never had any issues with becoming sick to my stomach while riding a mount until POF.

I have yet to buy the new Expansion, and until there is a some reasonable fix for this I will not. I was really looking forward to POF even decided to get Ultimate Edtion, however this is putting a damper on my Decision.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I’ve never experienced “motion sickness” while playing a game

Then you should try some first person shooters that have head bobbing. Pure evil! At least, most let you deativate that game mechanic. Ack…

but I’m feeling a bit “off” when I use mounts.

How can something where you are zoomed out from your character give your motion sickness?

I’m fine with the mounts. The only annoying thing is the constant mounting and dismounting. But we’ll see how that works out.

Everyone’s brain is wired differently. Some more than others.

You and me are able to keep track of the fact that the movement we see on the screen isn’t real. So our eyes and our body agree on the fact that we aren’t moving.

Those who suffer from motion sickness due to video games brain’s aren’t able to make that distinction. Their brain is so good at ignoring the input from around the screen, that it thinks the screen is reality. And then the brain goes: eyes see movement and body does not sense movement (something in the ear canal area), which is one combination for motion sickness.

You can even consciously know you’re moving and still get motion sickness in real life so knowing it’s a game isn’t the answer even. Ever read in a moving car?

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Maybe, just maybe, they shouldn’t have gated essential content behind it, so this way they wouldn’t need to break mount mechanics as a fix, and for those who get sick by the organic motion of the mount itself, they could simply opt out of using the mount when taking turns (as seem to be the biggest trigger to the effect).

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Maybe, just maybe, they shouldn’t have gated essential content behind it, so this way they wouldn’t need to break mount mechanics as a fix, and for those who get sick by the organic motion of the mount itself, they could simply opt out of using the mount when taking turns (as seem to be the biggest trigger to the effect).

Hopefully we won’t have to go through the story to access the map.

Mesmers can place one end of a portal down, get on a mount, and then use it to get where they need to, dismount and place the other end of the a portal. I tested it in the demo. So they’ll be able to get around the map and get to places with the help other mesmers.

Given the first story mission has a heart in it that doesn’t appear to be very doable in a party, I don’t know if it’s doable by a party of 2 – or even possible to enter it in a party. I don’t know how that progress would track with 2 people in it.

Edit to add: having to depend on a mesmer for main content is not something that I feel should be the case, so I hope they’re able to find a solution that will help most players affected by motion sickness on mounts,

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

Make it an option, as I really like the current ones. They feel right, to me.

Posted by: Mala.3861

Mala.3861

Today I went in and tried some of the suggested fixes. My Motion Blur was already off and my Field of View was set about 80% of max distance – I maxed it. I had less symptoms today but I stayed out of towns except long enough to go grab a bounty. And, even so, I still had to stop and go get the anti nausea meds again. My problem isn’t the bouncing/bobbing, it is the turning left and right. It is just too jerky.

I have played several other games with mounts – WoW, Rift, SWtOR for example- and I have not had this issue while riding. So I know it can be done and I have hope that this can be fixed.

And to answer someone’s question on how we play other games – trial and error. Beta’s are great to rule out the pukey (literally) ones but that is not always an option. We have bought many games through the years that never got more than a couple hours of play.

Posted by: Valdur.3607

Valdur.3607

I used to be an FPS player of games such as Quake3 and UT and I have never had motion sickness.But while using the mount I felt some dizziness.

Posted by: cadmiumgreen.8712

cadmiumgreen.8712

Get a bucket and train yourself bro.

Video games aren’t worth vomiting over.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Visual motion sickness… I think this used to be an issue very early on in the game and a checkbox was added to reduce or remove screen shaking and comparable screen movement in dungeons and the PvE areas…

For me zooming out tends to help and some rest every now and then…

I hope mount movement will be placed under a seperate checkbox.

Due to minor complcations I have not yet been to The Bèta . But this is a ewmark I wanted to place.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Seed.5467

Seed.5467

I didn´t get any motion sickness so far. Sure it took me a while to adapt to the usage of mounts on Guild Wars but no motion sickness. Below is a small video where i was testing the movement of my raptor and a small fight.

Regards

Seed

Posted by: Last Warrior Lord.7248

Last Warrior Lord.7248

I have no problem. Just people are not use to it yet. Play a little longer you be fine.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

I have no problem. Just people are not use to it yet. Play a little longer you be fine.

That is not always the case.

Despite the numerous times ive done the mission with the spiral im still not used to it, and get sick.

heaven help me when i actually use mounts as they are. Hopefully they add options for mount movement controls.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Lupini.6938

Lupini.6938

How about some focus on this thread.

Those that are having problems:

Try to hone in on what is giving you issues. Stopping? Starting? Camera swing? Try to get specific, or the devs won’t be able to help. Try just doing specific movements, and noting what happens. Go straight without turning for a while, note if there are issues. Don’t do a bunch of random movements in a short burst and expect to be able to identify the issues—break down the movements.

This could be important going forward, this is only the first of the mounts. I’m sure the dev’s would like to know what issues are the most problematic now rather than later.

Those that aren’t having problems:

How about just ignoring this thread. We know a lot of people ARE NOT having issues. Most of us really like the concept of the mounts—there are several threads about how great the mounts are for you to share your impressions.

We aren’t asking for the mounts to be removed, we’re hoping to find solutions, and telling us that you don’t see a problem won’t help. We know it isn’t a problem for most of you, we really do. I actually love the resting animations, when it scratches in response to getting petted, or shaking and I almost fall off. I think it’s fun. I’ve even participated in a few races. However, this weekend is both a demo and a beta testing—we’re testing mounts and giving feedback. Our feedback is not wrong, it’s just ours.

Posted by: Rabe.2456

Rabe.2456

I suffer from motion sickness myself, but thankfully had not any issues with the mounts yet. I recommend setting the camera as far back as possible and always control it by holding down the right mouse button.

Posted by: SnowPumpkin.1809

SnowPumpkin.1809

I did have a little dizziness when riding the raptor, but I get vertigo issues easily. It just felt a little all over the place and there was drag and camera swing and it spun to quickly. I totally understand that’s to give it a more realistic feel but not everyone’s eyes can handle that. I have a feeling some of the other mounts will have a more glider smooth feel to them.

(edited by SnowPumpkin.1809)

Posted by: Witch of Doom.5739

Witch of Doom.5739

I suffer from motion sickness with many games and it’s getting much worse as I get older, but GW has always been a game that doesn’t make me sick, one of the many reasons I love it and continue to play.

It may help to understand what motion sickness is or can be — your sense of sight and your sense of balance and movement (from your inner ear) giving you mixed signals. For example, if you’re running in a FPS, what you see tells you that you are moving forward rapidly and bobbing your head, but your inner ear tells you you’re sitting still. The conflict can lead to headaches and/or nausea. This is also why some people (like me) can’t read in a moving vehicle.

Anyway, the mounts are not making me sick in PoF. I keep the camera zoomed back as far as possible, third-person view only, not first-person, and I use the right mouse button to steer as smoothly as possible. Good luck to everybody.

Posted by: Ramoth.5162

Ramoth.5162

Unfortunately, not everyone can or will use the mouse to steer. I cannot as it makes my MS much worse. I purposely use strafe as a major positioning tool in my character movement, as it is less problematic for some reason (probably less turning). The mount gets me with camera, as well as the turning of the mount. Even with the camera all the way out (which is my default) I still can’t watch the mount.

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

I think the issue might be the slight delay between sending a movement command (whether via keyboard or mouse) and then that brief hesitation before the mount moves accordingly. I am sure that this is intentional to give the mount a more “realistic” feel, but keeps giving me the sense of a migraine hangover. It is the mismatch between what we are expecting and what actually happens. It does not matter that it is a video game.

For all those who say “not a problem for me” that is fantastic for you and I hope you appreciate that lack of problem, but those kinds of responses are unproductive and unhelpful here. Just because you do not experience problems does not logically mean that therefore others do not/should not.

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Posted by: Nesogra.4087

Nesogra.4087

Things I’ve found that affect motion sickness in me when using the mounts:

• Visual Blur setting, was already low and increasing it did make the motion sickness worse.
  • The amount the camera would ‘jump’ with the mount. Zooming out to the point where the camera would no longer move up and down when the mount jumped helped.
  • The difference between how much the character bobbed around when on a mount vs when no mounted. I found that playing on a min height female Asura caused the motion sickness to go away vs playing on an short but not min height female human which causes motion sickness. I think the reason is I’m so used to seeing Asura bob around due to their more expressive animations that the mount bobbing feels more natural on them (making it feel normal to me) vs jumping back and forth between the more static human character and the mount.
  • How much I actually looked at the character when playing. When I play Asura I tend to not look at my character as much due to their smaller size and instead use the action camera cursor as the ‘reference point’ for where the center of the screen is. On humans the actual character becomes the ‘reference point’ due to them taking up more screen space in the center. Paying less attention to my character when playing a human did reduce the amount of motion sickness.

One other note is that my first time using the mount the motion sickness was far worse than it is now but I still feel it some when playing certain characters.

Things that in general cause motion sickness in me:

• camera shake (which I have off in Gw2 and thank you for making that an option)
  • games drastically moving the camera without my input or making the camera ‘sticky’ so it doesn’t instantly move when I tell it to.
  • control schemes in 3D games that I’m not used to yet (and goes away after getting used to it)
  • motion blur

(edited by Nesogra.4087)

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

I totally get that some people may have a problem and i do hope they add something for it, as long as the base mount animations aren’t changed for the majority.

As for strafing, that’s just not natural on a riding animal.

For all those who say “not a problem for me” that is fantastic for you and I hope you appreciate that lack of problem, but those kinds of responses are unproductive and unhelpful here. Just because you do not experience problems does not logically mean that therefore others do not/should not.

I get that you have a problem, but also do get that changing the mounts may affect gameplay and gameplay is important to everyone overall. I hope they can add a camera option to makes your motion sickness better, and maybe some other options, but the look and feel of it imo has to stay the same, the delayed response imo is part of the core feature on how mounts operate in GW2 and cannot be changed. Give constructive feedback but to not expect the entire game to revolve around you. Your aggressive response to people who disagree with some stuff is not needed. Yes you have a problem and yes you can voice your concerns, but others can also voice their concerns about how possible solutions would affect them.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

(edited by Fox.3469)

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

I totally get that some people may have a problem and i do hope they add something for it, as long as the base mount animations aren’t changed for the majority.

exactly, a toggle to change the animations to match them closer to the base game would be one of the better options i think, if its possible of course, but if nothing works out that way and they do have to change the animation, then so be it, something thats mandatory(which im assuming mounts will be) shouldnt cause problems.

Also, horses can be trained to “strafe”, ive seen it done, so its not that unnatural.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: slpr.2647

slpr.2647

i never really watch ME, i watch ahead. and while doing so on my mount, i dont even SEE the movements its making.

You don’t really get the problem, do you? It has nothing to do with mount’s running animations hun.

well, from what ive read some of it does stem from this.and im not talking just running movements, but all it’s movements. dont watch the mount, watch the world around you

(edited by slpr.2647)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Haven’t done the new stuff but…

I rarely get motion sickness anywhere in the games I play. I also go on for hours in WvW and sometimes run around in circles when I’m bored. The game’s great on your eyes. I would say I have gotten more sickness from reading some of these posts downplaying other people’s problems though.

Still though, there’s a few sections of newer content that have made me feel a bit strange and thus caused me to stop.

So please stop it with the “How do you play any games with motion sickness?” because it’s obviously specific situations and I doubt people with serious issues go play FPS all day, and if they bought this game (Gw2) and played it for months without issues… then honestly, if you can’t even put together why it would be such a stupid question to ask or even consider in the first place, then as politely as I can put it, you probably shouldn’t be sharing your “knowledge” with us in the first place especially when I see irresponsible and/or flat out dangerous advice on the very first page.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

exactly, a toggle to change the animations to match them closer to the base game would be one of the better options i think, if its possible of course, but if nothing works out that way and they do have to change the animation, then so be it, something thats mandatory(which im assuming mounts will be) shouldnt cause problems.

Also, horses can be trained to “strafe”, ive seen it done, so its not that unnatural.

The mount wouldn’t even need an unnatural strafing animation, not exactly. It could turn in place and move to the side then revert to facing forward (without swiveling your camera in the process, of course). That way you get the expected camera motion that matches your on-foot strafing.

There might be some finicky detailing in making the turn look smooth while happening fast enough to match player movement, but this would remove the “clunky” keyboard turn some have discussed and definitely help with the unwanted camera action that’s tilting so many inner ears.

Posted by: Eleri Tezhme.3048

Eleri Tezhme.3048

I don’t want to sound too heartless, but how do you people that get motion sickness deal with other games?

I don’t play them. I just don’t. Which means, despite being someone who really enjoys gaming, I am left out of 90% of the modern gaming industry. And it sucks.

My absolute favorite game company, the one I used to help run the fan convention for, who allowed me and my wife to make a tabletop RPG of their IP, just came out with a new game, and the only way I could play it, or even watch someone play it, was by turning on node movement, toggling the transition effects, and changing how the mouse movement worked. And even then I had to take breaks regularly, and not look at the screen when we had to move rapidly.

The point is, that the company actually thought about those issues, and built in work arounds, and that’s partially because someone high in the dev team gets motion sickness, and said “how can we adapt for this”.

Posted by: Dreamy Lu.3865

Dreamy Lu.3865

I saw someone asking to be more precise about what is causing the sickness, I can answer how it is in my case:
- When the raptor stops from running, he has this slight twist effect turning its body to the left side (like when we emergency brake with a bicycle). That one is making my stomach jump high.
- When we dismount is another one.
- When using the tail skill.
Otherwise, when mounting and just running around, I am OK.

I have tested:
- To zoom out as much as possible. In my case, it helps. It does not remove the trouble completely, but it delays when it starts.
- To disable the camera adjustement to Char height. I have not seen that it makes a difference.
- I have reduced a lot camera rotation speed. It seems to help too.

Remark: In my case, to play with the settings like Depth Blur & co, did not show any significant improvement, so I keep them as are.

Posted by: shaggy.2768

shaggy.2768

I hope anet can come up with a solution, since I tried afew times again and yeah the current implementation isnt going to work.

and for an expansion that has a large emphasises on mounts it needs to work

Posted by: Spectre.5287

Spectre.5287

I have no motion sickness issues with any games I’ve ever played but then again I’ve been playing high speed games most of my life so really haven’t noticed anything but really appreciate how fluid the raptor mount is in the game. First game that makes me want to have more mounts added. They have done a great job on it! Keep up the great work Anet!

Posted by: BurningHeavy.7268

BurningHeavy.7268

I haven’t noticed this at all. Are you zoomed all the way out? have you never used mounts before? I’m trying to figure out what would cause motion sickness from mounts…. I’ve never heard it before and every other mmo ever (not called guild wars) has mounts….

Posted by: BurningHeavy.7268

BurningHeavy.7268

I saw someone asking to be more precise about what is causing the sickness, I can answer how it is in my case:
- When the raptor stops from running, he has this slight twist effect turning its body to the left side (like when we emergency brake with a bicycle). That one is making my stomach jump high.
- When we dismount is another one.
- When using the tail skill.
Otherwise, when mounting and just running around, I am OK.

I have tested:
- To zoom out as much as possible. In my case, it helps. It does not remove the trouble completely, but it delays when it starts.
- To disable the camera adjustement to Char height. I have not seen that it makes a difference.
- I have reduced a lot camera rotation speed. It seems to help too.

Remark: In my case, to play with the settings like Depth Blur & co, did not show any significant improvement, so I keep them as are.

This is incredibly odd! I’ve never heard of this before. Do you play fast paced games at all? games Like Tribes ascend or quake can give people motion sickness but they are first person and WAAAAAAY faster. The thing that commonly causes motion sickness in games is low FOV. Do you have the FOV set to max? are you zoomed ALL the way out (adjusting the max zoom distance in the menu)? Have you tried lowering your settings to get above 60 FPS (low framerates can make people sick, especially when the game is faster, which mounts inevitably will make the game). My thought is you’ve just never played a game with speed before. To test if it’s Guild Wars 2 itself, play (or watch) Tribes Ascend. Does that make you sick? If so, you might just have a sensitivity to speed.