Make ALL equipment salvageable.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mal.1670

Mal.1670

Currently you cannot salvage equipment you purchased with Karma, Badges of Honor and certain other exceptions. This is a huge problem for people who have, for instance, invested in expensive runes for armor that isn’t being used anymore, but since there is no way to transmute equipment now we can’t “transfer” upgrades from equipment.

The solution to avoid exploitation is simple:

If you salvage equipment that was bought with Karma or Badges of Honor, you get NO essences of luck/globs of ectoplasm/dark matter/crafting materials, none of that. You ONLY get the chance based on your salvage kit of getting the upgrade back. This solves so many issues it’s not even funny.

Also ANet, get rid of your stupid Upgrade Extractors from the Gem Store. Those are an insult to the playerbase. Starting price of 250 gems for ONE? What… I don’t… how in the… SIGH.

(edited by Mal.1670)

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

Currently you cannot salvage equipment you purchased with Karma, Badges of Honor and certain other exceptions. This is a huge problem for people who have, for instance, invested in expensive runes for armor that isn’t being used anymore, but since there is no way to transmute equipment now we can’t “transfer” upgrades from equipment.

The solution is simple:

If you salvage equipment that was bought with Karma or Badges of Honor, you get NO essences of luck/globs of ectoplasm/dark matter/crafting materials, none of that. You ONLY get the chance based on your salvage kit of getting the upgrade back. This solves so many issues it’s not even funny.

Also ANet, get rid of your stupid Upgrade Extractors from the Gem Store. Those are an insult to the playerbase. Starting price of 250 gems for ONE? Jesus Christ what the hell…

You used to but people began to exploit it. So no you wont get that back. Your asking for impractical things. No one is forcing you to use upgrade extractors but people buy them therefore they will stay. Your asking for unreasonable demands.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

The solution is simple:

Also ANet, get rid of your stupid Upgrade Extractors from the Gem Store. Those are an insult to the playerbase. Starting price of 250 gems for ONE? Jesus Christ what the hell…

You used to but people began to exploit it. So no you wont get that back. Your asking for impractical things. No one is forcing you to use upgrade extractors but people buy them therefore they will stay. Your asking for unreasonable demands.

Anet being competent is impractical? Is it so much to make sure things cost what they should from vendors? This isnt some indie developer with a $20 dollar a week budget.

This is just another part of the game spoiled by the cash shop, like BoA ascended, and BoE legendaries.

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

This will never happen because the runes that come in the Temple karma armors, some of which (Melandru) are very expensive.

The argument about wanting to use the skin and thus having your runes locked in is kinda moot now with the Wardrobe making it unnecessary to use the armors you buy. As soon as you buy it, you’ll unlock the skin for it, which you can then transmute onto your current armor.

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

The solution is simple:

Anet being competent is impractical? Is it so much to make sure things cost what they should from vendors? This isnt some indie developer with a $20 dollar a week budget.

This is just another part of the game spoiled by the cash shop, like BoA ascended, and BoE legendaries.

I did not say anything about the cost of it. I made the statement about him wanting it removed from the gem shop.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

The solution is simple:

Maybe back when karma was more plentiful and level 70+ rares on the TP weren’t a fraction of the price of vendor rares, but now there’s nothing left to exploit, so there is no justification for the restriction anymore.

Posted by: Bear on the job.6273

Bear on the job.6273

This will never happen because the runes that come in the Temple karma armors, some of which (Melandru) are very expensive.

The argument about wanting to use the skin and thus having your runes locked in is kinda moot now with the Wardrobe making it unnecessary to use the armors you buy. As soon as you buy it, you’ll unlock the skin for it, which you can then transmute onto your current armor.

This would probably rectify itself pretty quickly if temple armor was made salvagable. If it’s so cheap and easy to buy the armor and salvage Melandru runes out of it…the market for them would crash. Soon they’d probably be under 50s, and would not be an unbalanced way of converting karma to gold.

As it is now…I almost never buy Karma/Badge gear anymore. I buy everything off the TP or craft it myself, because I will save more money in the long run being able to salvage the runes. At this point, there is no reason to buy Karma/Badge gear at all…unless you’re putting Ruby Orbs on them I guess.

Posted by: hotcatz.6834

hotcatz.6834

I’ve got a full set of ptv with melandru (qq) no longer use it…. I thought about transmuting it it whites to extract the runes but held out too long. Silly me

Posted by: Klocknov.8219

Klocknov.8219

Well that still doesn’t explain why badge armor is not salvagable, it takes badges and gold as well doesn’t come with runes and you can’t salvage it. Karma armor has an easy fix then if you say it is all becuase of rune market, thus you take the runes out. Boom done now we can salvage it since there is no gain for us with high priced runes and it allows us to say get divinity or travelers runes we invested in to put in those armor sets.

I never though they should be locked as they are now in the first place, both armors aren’t game breaking to salvage if dungeon armor isn’t, why stick a restriction on certain sets. Hell WvW badges are so restricted that there is now way to profit off of them without luarels and at least with karma you have jewelry boxes. Again here is an example of an item that tanked a price of lodestones that was not restricted.

In the long run, this really does need to be looked at with the new wardrobe system as well as the ease of gaining karma, since both of those changing the use for Karma armor really does change the play on who would be buying what and for what reason.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

On Melandru runes losing value if this were to change; there’s nothing wrong with a game change affecting the value of an item. Melandru runes are really popular runes; I don’t see how the game could be hurt too much if there were a flood of them.

I really don’t see much of an issue with making a change along these lines. Get good karma→gold and badge→gold arcs and that’ll fix most of the problem.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Whether this or that rune gains or loses value should not be a determining factor in whether to make karma gear salvageable.

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

can they let us salvage our wvw/orr gear for our god kitten runes. I have 5 sets of armor sitting in my bank waiting if i can get my god kitten runes off them. I spent over 100g on those runes and i cant do anything with them because i made new builds so the old combos fail. I dont want any other mats just let me salvage that gear for my kitten runes.

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

You don’t make karma gear salvageable so you can’t make cash from karma (at least not easily or well). You make the badges of honor not salvagable so you can’t make cash from badges of honor.

Sound reasoning.

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

The solution is simple:

Peoples accounts where banded for adding exuberant amounts of gold to the econ through salvaging. This would be a way to conververt karma to gold fr high yields so it probably won’t happen considering they nerfed karma cycling.

Posted by: Supreme.4051

Supreme.4051

The solution is simple:

Upgrade extractor 250 gems (200 in bulk) = 25g (20g)

Most runes/sigils are 5-10 gold (except generosity which is ~50g)

Why would anyone buy an extractor to salvage something of his equipment? You spend far less by buying new equipment + sigil/rune instead.

There are only a handful of exceptions, like to remove high agony resistance infusions and that applies only to a few people.

Really make these items cheaper like 50 gems per unit and 40 each in bulk so they might actually be useful.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

You don’t make karma gear salvageable so you can’t make cash from karma (at least not easily or well). You make the badges of honor not salvagable so you can’t make cash from badges of honor.

Sound reasoning.

Reasoning kinda collapses when you consider you can’t salvage Order gear or throw it in the mystic toilet.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

As it is now…I almost never buy Karma/Badge gear anymore. I buy everything off the TP or craft it myself,

This;
karma gear just isnt worth the cost, and the lack of salvaging (and that you can’t even swap it between alts). Makes it truly worthless.

Posted by: manudiao.9803

manudiao.9803

Sound reasoning.

Wow, I bet you forgot that Karma Armor comes with runes but the Armor for Badges doesn’t? I don’t even care about ectos or t6 materials, I just want my runes and sigils that I bought

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Agreed. People used to exploit but if you get nothing from salvaging other than what you put in yourself, what is there to exploit?

Other people need to note that exotic Karma armor & BOH armor comes with no runes, same with weapons & sigils.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The solution is simple:

Peoples accounts where banded for adding exuberant amounts of gold to the econ through salvaging. This would be a way to conververt karma to gold fr high yields so it probably won’t happen considering they nerfed karma cycling.

No amount of gold was added to the economy as a result of salvaging temple armor.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Nage.1520

Sound reasoning.

Wow, I bet you forgot that Karma Armor comes with runes but the Armor for Badges doesn’t? I don’t even care about ectos or t6 materials, I just want my runes and sigils that I bought

You may not care about runes and ecto, but Anet might. The fact that you can get free ectos with badges and badges for people who play WvW drop like mad, well, it’s just not what Anet wants from the game. Sorry it doesn’t agree with what you want.

I mean there are PvEer’s who never set foot in WvW with a couple of thousand badges.

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

No amount of gold was added to the economy as a result of salvaging temple armor.

Amen. It is impossible to add gold to the game through the TP. It is a gold Sink. And I doubt anyone would be merching high end runes.

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

Sound reasoning.

You may not care about runes and ecto, but Anet might. The fact that you can get free ectos with badges and badges for people who play WvW drop like mad, well, it’s just not what Anet wants from the game. Sorry it doesn’t agree with what you want.

I mean there are PvEer’s who never set foot in WvW with a couple of thousand badges.

I think we’re losing the OP’s point here. It was suggested that karma armor and badge armor be made salvageable ONLY for runes purchased separately by the player and applied to the armor. No materials would result, nor any runes that came with the armor. The current system discourages applying runes to karma armor or badge armor because there’s no way to salvage them and move them to your next set.

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Sound reasoning.

And yet you can make some money (maybe not that much) from badges. Buy siege with the badges and sell them on the TP. And you can make some money, kinda anyways, with karma through the box things they added. They should just make the karma/badge armor back to being salvageable (kitten, I’d be fine with it just returning the slotted item, even if we don’t get materials from them).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Nage.1520

Sound reasoning.

I think we’re losing the OP’s point here. It was suggested that karma armor and badge armor be made salvageable ONLY for runes purchased separately by the player and applied to the armor. No materials would result, nor any runes that came with the armor. The current system discourages applying runes to karma armor or badge armor because there’s no way to salvage them and move them to your next set.

Not sure how that would work. Salvaging right now has one set of rules. What you’re suggesting really isn’t salvaging at all. It’s removing a rune from armor. The solution is to make the kits in the cash shop cheaper, so people can pay gold for them to make it more worth it.

Basically the solution is already in the game, it’s just priced wrong

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

So how are you going to get, for example, the Superior Rune of Melandru at all now? Before the patch you could use a transmutation crystal to “merge” the gear with your armour or to “merge” it with something that was salvageable. Now you can’t get those runes out without using an upgrade extractor?

Allowing any gear to be salvaged for the runes/sigils alone sounds like a good idea.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

In principle the OP is right. There are a number of problems here, one of which is the use of armor as the key item for most utilities when the armor is cheap and the runes and cosmetics are expensive. The problem that prevents the salvage of karma bought items is probably the massive karma pools that were built up when it was given away like confetti. It would be too generous a windfall if that could all be converted immediately to salvageable exotics and runes. Essentially karma items are still restricted because karma became a broken currency.

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

Salvaging karma items should produce only the rune/sigil.

Aslo, let the temple vendors sell the appropriate runes for karma.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Solution: Silver-fed Extract-o-matic

I would, quite merrily, pay for an infinite-use device that uses in-game money.

Not that ANet will do it, because it will still cause a glut of runes and sigils to hit the market.

Other option, uncouple the sigils/runes from the gear at the Order/Arah vendors and make the rune sets their own karma cost.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

All equipment should be salvageable, but not all equipment should give materials when salvaged.

Salvaging a karma items, for example, should give karma and a chance to salvage upgrades, but no materials.

Even better would be a salvage panel like GW1’s. Letting you pick what you are aiming for.

• Select materials, and you’ll get materials, and the usual chances for upgrades and rare materials.
  • Select upgrades, and you’ll get the upgrades, and smaller chances of materials and rare materials.
  • Select rare materials, and you’ll get a higher chance for rare material (but not guaranteed), and much smaller chances of upgrades and other materials.
  • Use a black lion kit, and you will not get a panel, as they’ll always have max chances for all 3.
SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I can agree with making Karma and Badge purchased armor salvageable again. Just remove from their salvage table ecto (and dark matter), so people don’t exploit it like before.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I think the only way this can be resolved is to ALLOW For salvaging of these items but restrict the materials AND account bound the upgrades that come off them when salvaged. Not sure if this is technically possible at this point, but it needs to be investigated by the Devs.

Speaking of that, I know there have been tons of posts about this issue and it appears to me to be a rather large oversight on Anet’s part, but has ANYONE from ANet even commented on this issue at all? If so, would someone please link to that comment? It is certainly possible this was intentional to spur upgrade sales, but I find that kind of difficult to believe without a Dev stating it in writing.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

+1

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Karma armor can be exploited for the runes. Fine. But what about wvw stuff? They have no runes or sigils, and can’t even be mystic forged. And they cost gold too.

Yes, I know wvw players aren’t people, but still.

Anyhow, it would be best if it were possible to salvage but make all salvaged materials be account bound.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

I would like this too.

+1

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

could not agree more with OP
various people have stated good points and counter-points that I agree with.
Personally, I feel there is no reasonable reason not to allow salvaging all items.
Sure, there would probably be a 10c decrease in ecto price, but that would only be the short-term and would jump back very quickly.