Make minis more desirable

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

So I am an avid miniature collector, but often get annoyed by the hassle it is to use them (invisible bag required, reactivate after every zoning and death). I thought a little to make them more desireable for everyone and in return also increasing your gemshop sales for them.

1. Add a new tab to the hero menu. There you could dedicate your miniatures to your account (permanently removing it from the inventory in process). In the menu you can select a dedicated miniature for automatical use whenever possible.
2. Rename title “Miniature Collector” to “Miniature Collector of set Alpha” and add the title ""Miniature Collector of the set Beta" to the achievement track for the 2nd set (it currently has none).
3. Add a new infinite title track which rewards lets say 5 AP per dedicated miniature (each miniature can only be dedicated once per account). It should have no cap since there is only a finite amount of unique miniatures —> people will keep having an incentive to get or buy all new miniatures even if its just for the AP.
3.1. Add unique titles to this infinite achievement track.
e.g.:
Beginner Miniature Collector – Dedicate 10 Miniatures
Experienced Miniature Collector – Dedicate 50 Miniatures
Respected Miniature Collector – Dedicate 100 Miniatures
Acclaimed Miniature Collector – Dedicate 200 Miniatures
Heralded Miniature Collector – Dedicate 350 Miniatures
God of Miniatures – Dedicate 500 Miniatures
4. Add minigames where you can make use of dedicated miniatures such as miniature arena or polymock.
4.1. Miniature Arena should have a daily rotation of game modes: Death Match, Team Death Match, King of the Hill, Domination, Everyone against Everyone.
During the match you will be turned into your choosen miniature. Each miniature should have 5 skills and the strength of the miniature should mainly depend on its quality level (white to exotic). Rewards for playing: achievements, tokens for miniatures exclusive to the minigame.
4.2. Polymock similar to GW1
5. Make all miniatures tradeable. It seems pointless to me to make collectors items account bound.
6. Turn Mini Rytlock to Rare quality, like the other destiny edge miniatures.
7. Add ascended miniatures (eg. dragon champions like tequatl --> promote Tequatl from exotic to ascended), add legendary miniatures (special creatures like Zhaitan)

Feel free to suggest improvement or additions.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Malediktus.9250

Updated my list.

Posted by: sistox.9624

sistox.9624

I approve this message.

Malediktus.9250

I guess the amount of interest in this thread projects the interest in miniatures by the community

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I like this suggestion. There are many things that could be added to the game that will give people something fun to do and a reason to log in and play. They have put all their eggs in the living story basket, which is a bad idea.

I love your suggestion. I collected mini’s in gw1 and even maxed out the hall of fame for that part. I’ve played much less attention to them here. Your suggestions would change that.

What needs to happen is alternative pursuits should be added to the game.

1. Your miniature suggestions or a variation of that. This is well thought out and looks fun to me.

2. A wardrobe that will store armor and weapon looks (per character or per account, I don’t care). That will give me the fun task of collecting more armor and weapons to get ALL the looks in game, even the looks I don’t like. :P

3. For rangers – more pets. It was fun searching out all the pets. More could be added, not for their skills but for their looks. Some should be hard to get due to where they are or what you have to fight to get to them.

4. Housing and trophies to put in there, other decorations.

In and of themselves these are all fluff suggestions. But for many people, this will keep them playing. We need things to do other than farm and tick off achievements.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Malediktus.9250

Good post.
Suprisingly for a game about cosmetics (horizontal progression), this game has very few updated supporting the idea. Most of the interesting stuff is added to the gem store. It is fine if they add stuff to the gem store, since they make money that way, but there is very little cosmetic progression available by ingame means. Too many people look similar (excluding the dye choices) ingame because there is so little varity.

Posted by: The Game Slayer.7632

The Game Slayer.7632

I like this suggestion a lot. One more suggestion, make the minis actually keep up with you and stay near your side a lot better. If they were to do JUST that i would be happy with minis.

I am a teef
:)

Malediktus.9250

Good point, miniature often fail to stick to the owner properly unless you stand still.

Posted by: Run Away PLZ.7639

Run Away PLZ.7639

Would be nice of mini’s had something to do besides sit in your bank. I like the idea of using them for polymock styled game or maybe even be able to put them on display and have them roaming around your home instance aaah so many of those kitten mini’s from the orrian jewelry box running around all hideous looking

Malediktus.9250

There would be little point in having them in your home instance as long as noone can enter your home instance (or can they?)

Posted by: Dromar.1027

Dromar.1027

I’ll approve of this message if they add them as rare drops to specific zone DEs and dungeons. I hate crap thats limited.

Malediktus.9250

What you mean with add them as rare drops? They will never make the gem shop ones drop from PVE since they make money that way. New minis possibly (see tequatl or clockwork tree)

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I was talking about that to my guildmates. I always wanted to get into the minis, but since i needed a invisible bag they just stayed in my bank. When i finally crafted a invisible bag, the mini disappear after zoning and death. kitten Anet really don’t want us to give them money. I had the same idea about an account wide tab in your hero panel where you can select any of your mini so that mini is just always with your character until you deselect it in your panel.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Malediktus.9250

Yes, I am sure a lot of people would be more interested in buying and collecting minis if anything would be done to improve the use of miniatures. I hate wasting invisible bag slots.

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

I don’t use any of minis for one simple reason. I am required to have an invisible bag on me because otherwise every-time I do a ‘deposit all’ it’s gone back into my bank. Not worth the inconvenience and price of a 20 slot invisi bag. -.-

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

I’d like to wear my Mr Fahrenheit on my shoulder like a parrot!

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Malediktus.9250

I dont know Mr Fahrenheit. Stay on topic.

Posted by: Passion.4539

Passion.4539

i still want a mini me, like summon mini then it copy’s your look like a clone from a Mesmer with weapon and armor – would be so cute

Malediktus.9250

Not a bad idea, maybe you can freeze it in time so it shows yourself at some older point of the game to see how you looked in the past.
Each account could have like 10 “Mini Yourself” slots, expandable with gems.

Posted by: Yamagawa.5941

Yamagawa.5941

A mini-me…. That I could see selling well.

Press for one in the desert. Story is, there’s a doppelgänger out there waiting to test heros….

Malediktus.9250

The doppelganger did not work well because of the bad AI

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

Clever stealth bumping…

At any case, I take issue with automatic miniature summoning which is something I often see. Let people at least do some work for their shiny display. And do we need to have every other person dragging random thing with them without possibly themselves not paying any attention to the mini after a while? All… those… accidental… targets…
I also don’t much support the idea miniatures being else than items in inventory. Like a tab in hero panel for them.

I do wish they kept up with me when I run. Even my no run speed characters leave them behind. With my eles, I often stop to wait for them. ;_; I feel so bad and it’s the main reason I leave them unsummoned. I love to have them around if I’m standing around for a while in a lonely location and tend to always keep some with me. But running again? Go back to the bag, little minis.
Then there are some that seem to keep up. But those run away when I try to park my character next to a miniature. Though the only specimen I have is Mini Twisted Nightmare, I don’t know if other series two ones do this or if only for example twisteds. The behaviour change is bit jarring. It looks bit cool with the one I have, but… don’t like it, yeah.

I… agree with OP about minigames, and that all minis should be tradeable.
And if not Rytlock, then at least make him reclaimable. Mine is now grounded. It’s just not safe out there, something might happen.
(I have already once seen the “Are you sure you want to destroy <this item>” dialogue when I dragged him back to storage since right clicking is too dangerous with the destroy option and I accidentally dragged him outside of some border. The horror. He hasn’t gotten out since.. ;_; Yeah, I doubt Rytlock himself would approve… Other one time minis get moved to a normal bag and deposited with the all option if I want to sort my inventory or have some other character keep them.)

let the sky fall

(edited by Traced.3495)

Malediktus.9250

what you mean with stealth bumping?

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

Agree with the OP – great idea.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

Malediktus.9250

Only posts from 13 unique players during a whole month. Could be better.

Posted by: shadowsoul.2134

shadowsoul.2134

1. Add a new tab to the hero menu. There you could dedicate your miniatures to your account (permanently removing it from the inventory in process). In the menu you can select a dedicated miniature for automatical use whenever possible.

This is what we really need!!!

Malediktus.9250

Sadly no new feature patches for quite a while. Next patch: 21 january and we will get 4 living story only patches in a row. So if anything positive happens for miniatures, its probably a long long time away

Posted by: CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

I agree that minis need some work to be more desirable. Top two would be:

• make them actually stay close to your character like pets
  • stop them from being deposited with “deposit all collectibles”

I also have a few more suggestions since they are basically cosmetic to show off: make them DO something other than follow you. For example:

• if your character stops moving for a certain period of time, they could lie down, or sit, or run around you in circles, etc.
  • if your character does an emote, the mini would mimic your emote or something in reaction to your emote (like if you cry the mini would hug you)
  • minis can react to other minis – like dance together if two or more mini owners stand still together within a certain radius
  • you can “load” them like a weapon and give them commands to show off, like do tricks or something cool with fancy special effects.

If those last few suggestions were ever put into practice, minis would sell like hotcakes!

Posted by: Adrianna.3092

Adrianna.3092

i agree with everything here.. mini collection is more of a hassle than anything atm.

Posted by: Shades.4572

Shades.4572

Someone suggested this a while back in one of the mini threads….

Mini’s without swim animations be put into a air bubble when swimming.

Malediktus.9250

Good suggestions, keep them coming.

I believe in GW1 your heroes and henchmen reacted to your emotes, so I think it should be easy to do for humanoid miniatures.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Yes please! like we have our wallet, make this miniature tab account wide. I’m tired of never wanting to use my miniatures, every time i “deposit all” it goes right into collections in the bank. Very annoying.

Posted by: Asmodeius.2751

Asmodeius.2751

why do you ask for this mini game crap and miniatures? there are more important changes that needed to be done rather then inventing ton of mini useless pets and mini games with useless rewards.

Posted by: Shades.4572

Shades.4572

why do you ask for this mini game crap and miniatures? there are more important changes that needed to be done rather then inventing ton of mini useless pets and mini games with useless rewards.

Considering that they release a new mini with almost every LS patch and the fact that they are a descent money maker for Anet when they do the bundles, such as the 3 holiday minis, they should take sometime looking to improve the minis.

As of now it’s probably mostly the mini collectors buying the minis from the gem store, if they made improvements or added a mini game involving the mini pets, then other (besides the mini collectors) would be interested in buying all the bundles.

Malediktus.9250

Indeed it costs 1000 gems each time they bring out new event ones. If minis had more features a lot more people would buy them.

Asmodeius.2751

Well shades that’s the only explanation i can take for Minis, the source of income. I personally wont find my self getting minis, nor playing mini’s games, unless they can directly enhance my character or rewards from those mini games will directly affect my character, for example giving me a sexy cosmetic or some thing.

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

I agree with the idea of an auto-use miniature slot. That’d be nice.

However, I’d really rather get some ‘real’ content (like new zones to explore and expansion of game lore) than have ANet spend time on things like Polymock which was a truly awful addition to GW. There has already been far too much attention paid to mini-games over the past year, with noticeable neglect in expanding other areas of the game.

In any case, IMO, mini-games should be set up on a level playing field, not dependent on an item the player has, unless the matchmaking system is somehow going to take into account what miniatures the queued players have in order to balance matches.

Asmodeius.2751

However, I’d really rather get some ‘real’ content (like new zones to explore and expansion of game lore) than have ANet spend time on things like Polymock which was a truly awful addition to GW. There has already been far too much attention paid to mini-games over the past year, with noticeable neglect in expanding other areas of the game.

Exactly what i meant! more real content

Malediktus.9250

Anet has over 300 (and raising) employes split into differen teams. I honestly doubt working on some of these suggestions would have a noticeable impact on other updates.

Posted by: Kakapo.5230

Kakapo.5230

This game has awesome minis, but they’re a pain to keep summoned.

In due time, all will serve the asura.

Malediktus.9250

It is, but Anet seems to be focused on milking more money of us with them instead of doing some QoL changes for them.

Posted by: Voonith.2561

Voonith.2561

I agree with OP completely.
Especially Polymok!

All’s fair in love and Wuv.
[ART] Gate of Madness

Malediktus.9250

Polymock of GW1 is great, I never understood why many people hated it.

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

About fighting miniatures, can you imagine 500 of them with 5 different skills each? How would you balance that? Plus a cool Masterwork one would be unviable against an Exotic?

Here’s my suggestion, choose a miniature, then pick a class/profession/set-of-skills for it, much like what you do on the current PvP wintersday, heavy gunner and so on.

This would actually make it viable.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Malediktus.9250

That would be boring, the nature of the miniatures are too different to limit it to a hand full of classes.

Posted by: Parlourbeatflex.5970

Parlourbeatflex.5970

Mini battles (polymock arena) with dedicated achievements, ladders and tournaments.

Problem solved.

EDIT: you wouldn’t make it skill based, rather completelty statistical. Give it 3 stats, attack, defense and vitality and assign different minis different stats according to rarity. The actual gameplay would be very much like rock paper scissors turn based (similar to the game in metrica province). JOB DONE.

EDIT2: To make it a really unique system, give each type of mini a special attack (altho I realise this would dramatically effect development time) that can only be deployed once per battle.

(edited by Parlourbeatflex.5970)

Malediktus.9250

Yes, I dont think the minigame should be 100% skill based, rather like WvW now, where stats have an influence, but you can still win against superior equipped people if they play bad.
It would be wierd to see Tequatl use anything else but undead skills for example. Or a fire elemental use ice magic.

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

Mini battles (polymock arena) with dedicated achievements, ladders and tournaments.

Problem solved.

EDIT: you wouldn’t make it skill based, rather completelty statistical. Give it 3 stats, attack, defense and vitality and assign different minis different stats according to rarity. The actual gameplay would be very much like rock paper scissors turn based (similar to the game in metrica province). JOB DONE.

EDIT2: To make it a really unique system, give each type of mini a special attack (altho I realise this would dramatically effect development time) that can only be deployed once per battle.

Or make it like the golem chess in Metrica Province? Step on powerups for different effects but everything else is a level playing field.

Malediktus.9250

Personally I am not a fan of the golem chess in metrica. It should be more like the GW1 version of polymock, just against other players instead of AI.

Posted by: Cake.6498

Cake.6498

hell yes this idea is amazing