[Suggestion] Making Ascended Weapons into Precursors

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DarkSpirit.7046

DarkSpirit.7046

I really hate the current system where I have to wait for a precursor to drop. I wish precursors can be crafted, besides it would make more sense for ascended items to be precursors.

Why can’t we make all the ascended weapons as also precursors for legendary weapons?

It is a more natural progression otherwise I always have to choose between spending all my resources into making an ascended weapon or into making a legendary, which includes paying for a precursor.

Posted by: Ettanin.8271

Ettanin.8271

Would it still be legendary if everyone has it?

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Yes

Posted by: Arzo.8671

Arzo.8671

Legendary is just a word. It invokes certain imaginary visions of what that should mean but, it’s just a word. For the purposes of GW2, it’s just another rarity version. It’s like saying “Exotics aren’t really exotic if everyone has one.”

DarkSpirit.7046

Sure, after all they can be bought by anyone with enough real life money anyway.

Making ascended weapons natural precursors to their legendary counterparts would be a more natural progression than the current exotic precursors.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Craft ascended weapon of choice

Buy exotic weapon on TP that has the same skin as your legendary of choice

Bam… instant legendary in both stats and looks. The only difference will be the weapon name, and all that is good for is for pinging it in chat to show off.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

yes because everyone already can have it with a credit card

eta: it would be legendary only if you had to earn it and it was really hard to do so

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

DarkSpirit.7046

Buy exotic weapon on TP that has the same skin as your legendary of choice

Only problem with this approach is that it is impossible. lol

yes because everyone already can have it with a credit card

Yeah we call it the “Legendary Credit Card”!

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Of course not, that would make the entire concept of legendary weapons obsolete. Not to mention kitten off every single player that has spent countless hours farming T6 materials and other resources. Crafting a legendary is SUPPOSED to be the grindiest, most ridiculous thing in game, to give people something to do.

Took me almost two years (I just crafted mine two days ago).

DarkSpirit.7046

Of course not, that would make the entire concept of legendary weapons obsolete. Not to mention kitten off every single player that has spent countless hours farming T6 materials and other resources. Crafting a legendary is SUPPOSED to be the grindiest, most ridiculous thing in game, to give people something to do.

If it is suppose to be the grindiest, then why did ANet allow people to buy it with gold and thus real money? Obviously some people could get them without grinding!

Same thing for precursors, which unlike ascended weapons that are account-bound, you can just buy them off the TP!

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

You DO realize that the amount of real money needed to buy a legendary would be in the realm of hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars, right? The idea of just “buying” a legendary would be… impractical.

If someone wanted to hand me that sort of smack for some digital pixels… I’d take it, and I’m betting you would too.

Unless you were the spoiled son of an investment banker, you either ground out real life cash or in game gold to buy a legendary.

DarkSpirit.7046

You DO realize that the amount of real money needed to buy a legendary would be in the realm of hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars, right?

If someone wanted to hand me that sort of smack for some digital pixels… I’d take it, and I’m betting you would too.

Unless you were the spoiled son of an investment banker, you either ground out real life cash or in game gold to buy a legendary.

You do realize that for an average american with a real job that cost of a precursor is not a big deal right?

Even if you take an expensive precursor like Dawn. It only costs 1019g right now which translate to a big big expensive sum of only about $153, which many Americans can earn in less than a day of work.

Even if you take the most expensive legendary right now, Eternity, which is about 4900g, that translates to only about $735, which many Americans can earn within 3 days of work.

(edited by DarkSpirit.7046)

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Eternity is currently 4900 gold. That is something like 60.000 gems or EUR 750 or USD 1000, from what I can tell right now looking at the trading post.

So… yeah… how many people, do you reckon, have done that? Taken a thousand real dollars out of the bank to buy an in-game sword?

As far as I can tell, 99.9% of the playerbase fall into one of two categories: those that have an income but adult person worries such as mortgages and little time, and those that are very dedicated to the game, and spend more time playing than working, and thus do not have htat kind of pocket money.

DarkSpirit.7046

Eternity is currently 4900 gold. That is something like 60.000 gems or EUR 750 or USD 1000, from what I can tell right now looking at the trading post.

There is something wrong with your calculation, according to gw2spidy 1g costs only 0.15 USD to buy through gems. So 4900 × 0.15 = only 735 USD. I would say that is well within the affordable range since my new TV costs a lot more than that and I hardly even use that thing. Note also that we are using Eternity, the most expensive legendary, as the example rather than picking an average-priced legendary.

So yes, I would say that many middle-class people have and can afford a legendary nowadays.

Posted by: Ashandar.2570

Ashandar.2570

I would like to have both systems. The current legendaries with precursor drops, and new account bound legendary skins with crafted precursors.

In due time, all will serve the asura.

Pixelpumpkin.4608

There is something wrong with your calculation, according to gw2spidy 1g costs only 0.15 USD to buy through gems. So 4900 × 0.15 = only 735 USD.

My GW2 client only presents me with the euros – 5k gold would cost 750 euros. I converted to dollars from there.

Anyway, it’s not about whether you can afford to buy something for 750 dollars (or euros…). I spend a multiple of that each month. On rent. And food. And possibly other things with a practical use, such as car maintenance, insurances, or even a TV.

Other people take out a mortgage and buy a house for 350 000 dollars and for the occasion, that is “affordable”, and they still wouldn’t spend the same money on an in-game item, because that would be completely stupid.

DarkSpirit.7046

There is something wrong with your calculation, according to gw2spidy 1g costs only 0.15 USD to buy through gems. So 4900 × 0.15 = only 735 USD.

My GW2 client only presents me with the euros – 5k gold would cost 750 euros. I converted to dollars from there.

Anyway, it’s not about whether you can afford to buy something for 750 dollars (or euros…). I spend a multiple of that each month. On rent. And food. And possibly other things with a practical use, such as car maintenance, insurances, or even a TV.

Other people take out a mortgage and buy a house for 350 000 dollars and for the occasion, that is “affordable”, and they still wouldn’t spend the same money on an in-game item, because that would be completely stupid.

I would not force my monetary values into others by calling it ‘completely stupid’. Afterall, who elected you to offer financial advice to everyone? There are people who are sitting on a lot of money and $735 is small change to them. Just because it is a big deal to you doesn’t necessarily imply that has to be the case for everyone else in the world too.

Posted by: AzureSky.3175

AzureSky.3175

Look at it this way:
You could either spend one hour on brainless farming ingame, or you talk to your boss about working an extra hour. It’s like farming outside of the game, and in most cases it’s far more exciting and intellectually challenging than grinding for mats and resources ingame. Depending on your income, you’ll usually farm more than 100g per hour.

In my opinion, anyone saying that spending real money on legendaries is stupid, should also accept that farming for legendaries can NEVER be less stupid.

(btw I’ve never bought gems, but neither have I ever spent an hour on farming. I’m pretty lucky with drops ingame and have more than enough gold most of the time. On the other hand I was never interested in getting legendaries, which probably contributes a lot to me having enough gold.)

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

There is something wrong with your calculation, according to gw2spidy 1g costs only 0.15 USD to buy through gems. So 4900 × 0.15 = only 735 USD. I would say that is well within the affordable range since my new TV costs a lot more than that and I hardly even use that thing. Note also that we are using Eternity, the most expensive legendary, as the example rather than picking an average-priced legendary.

So yes, I would say that many middle-class people have and can afford a legendary nowadays.

Then buy it with your credit card and be done with it. I cannot understand why you post here.

Glorious Human Master Race

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

I would want to craft that Precursors I dont care how but just make it craftable.

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

I don’t get why people are discussing the grindyness of getting a legendary.
All this is about is to make ascended weapons into precursors.
The only change that means is the precursor, not the T6 mats, not the map completion, nothing.
Get on topic.

And yes, I do think that it would be more logical to have ascended rank on the precursors. And I do agree on making all ascendeds at least being upgradeable to precursor status in some form or the other, possibly by requiring very rare resources to do so.
Currently, making ascended weapons is a quite large detour if you’re aiming for a legendary. Making ascended weapons a part of the process would make it part of the progress instead of a huge detour.
It can still cost a bunch, I don’t mind, but at least make it so that you would want to craft ascended even if you’re aiming for a legendary.

(edited by Mikuchan.7261)

Posted by: FenixFire.1673

FenixFire.1673

So… yeah… how many people, do you reckon, have done that? Taken a thousand real dollars out of the bank to buy an in-game sword?

I did dungeons, farmed gold, and played the TP a lot for two months, then bought an Eternity. Didn’t spend any “real world” money.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

Umm, they’d STILL have to go after all those mats, including all the crafting for the ascended, you realise the thread is making ascended = precursors NOT make ascended=ledgendary.

ozmaniandevil.6805

I don’t get why people are discussing the grindyness of getting a legendary.
All this is about is to make ascended weapons into precursors.
The only change that means is the precursor, not the T6 mats, not the map completion, nothing.
Get on topic.

And yes, I do think that it would be more logical to have ascended rank on the precursors. And I do agree on making all ascendeds at least being upgradeable to precursor status in some form or the other, possibly by requiring very rare resources to do so.
Currently, making ascended weapons is a quite large detour if you’re aiming for a legendary. Making ascended weapons a part of the process would make it part of the progress instead of a huge detour.
It can still cost a bunch, I don’t mind, but at least make it so that you would want to craft ascended even if you’re aiming for a legendary.

Can’t say I disagree with you. To me, the ascended stuff is more legendary than legendaries, since you HAVE to make the stuff. And personally, I will never buy a precursor, so unless one drops or becomes craftable, I will not have a legendary.

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

Gets my vote. Makes far more sense that the current system. Involves a not-small but not unreasonable investment. Requires collecting resources from a variety of places. Makes ascended weapons less of a detour. Eliminates the RNG to a large extent…

Might make the price of T6 mats skyrocket though… Would need careful planning.

DarkSpirit.7046

Thank you, I am glad so many of you like my suggestion.

For those of you who don’t like it, you think that getting a legendary is suppose to be grindy, then I would say that would be the wrong direction to move the game towards.

I prefer to have multiple ways to achieve the same end-goal of acquiring a precursor rather than just having legendary luck with the mystic toilet or pulling out a legendary credit card, so that perhaps some of those ways may actually be fun!

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Yes! I really like the concept of going from Ascended to Legendary. It would help with the outrageous prices of existing Precursors. Also, help with the eventual vertical progression of Legendary everything else. No doubts they’ll add Legendary Armor, Backs, and Trinkets eventually.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

or u could be a trading post player and be rolling in the $$$$

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

You DO realize that the amount of real money needed to buy a legendary would be in the realm of hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars, right?

You do realize that for an average american with a real job that cost of a precursor is not a big deal right?

Even if you take an expensive precursor like Dawn. It only costs 1019g right now which translate to a big big expensive sum of only about $153, which many Americans can earn in less than a day of work.

Even if you take the most expensive legendary right now, Eternity, which is about 4900g, that translates to only about $735, which many Americans can earn within 3 days of work.

If anyone is willing to spend $153 bucks on a digital pixel let alone $735 then they have issues . Most people have other things to spend it on, like LIFE / Family , Bills !!

Just my 2 cents not meant to offend anyone.

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

I like the concept, and I would even be for using the MF to combine the ascended wep with wine/crystals/stones and/or other MF items to craft a precursor. None of that wipes out the need to do exploration/dungeon farming etc. to eventually craft the legendary.

Posted by: Jack.9628

Jack.9628

I thought spending 17 hours a day on the computer made me a legendary person.

ozmaniandevil.6805

I thought spending 17 hours a day on the computer made me a legendary person.

Haha, ya. I personally “love” how so many people in the forums judge people who make enough money to spend it frivolously… seeing these people as “flawed”… when they don’t see a flaw in grinding 10 or more hours every day in an online game to get the same things.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

+1 for the idea.
It’s a grind enough to make the Ascended piece, and it’s not an instant Legendary.
It’s even a step back in gear, since Precursors aren’t on the same tier.

So, being willing to take days of time to make an Ascended, then go through a conversion process (which probably involves some wine to get Zommy drunk enough to take such a strange request), and then still have to go through the work to get a Legendary.

So, yeah, “precursor crafting” solved, right here. Get on it, ANet.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: LostBalloon.6423

LostBalloon.6423

I really hate the current system where I have to wait for a precursor to drop. I wish precursors can be crafted, besides it would make more sense for ascended items to be precursors.

Why can’t we make all the ascended weapons as also precursors for legendary weapons?

It is a more natural progression otherwise I always have to choose between spending all my resources into making an ascended weapon or into making a legendary, which includes paying for a precursor.

That’s not a bad idea, though i think anet already has something on the table. A lot of people expected it to come in the first feature patch and it has been on anet’s to do list for some time now.
I don’t remember my source (maybe they can confirm), but I heard they are pretty close to a solution, but they are just not quite satisfied with what they have for now. (hopefully next feature patch!)
I also think it will have something to do with crafting, but somewhat more grindy than ascended.