Making Guild Wars Appealing For Kids ?!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SirusDibley.3716

SirusDibley.3716

What with all the jumping puzzles , not to mention characters and dialogue straight out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

What happened to evil , dark things .Enough of the candy floss for kiddies please , lets get back to what this games about and stop making it disney-fied.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

I agree tho, what they’re adding is the kind of things you show to your girl friend or your kids if they’re like 7y old… They don’t add anything worthwhile for people who want to do something called PLAY THE GAME.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Sciva.4865

Sciva.4865

One day you’ll grow up and realise that not everything needs to be dark and gritty like GoW or the latest Batman movies. Sometimes a change of pace from killing everything in sight is nice. In the end we’re Human, not some mindless monsters who deep down need a fictional killing spree to keep our bloodlust in check.

Posted by: Emperor.1360

Emperor.1360

I dislike the kiddy stuff too (the same BIG reason why I hated WoW, especially as the expansions progressed and it got ever-increasingly ridiculous; I stopped playing after Cataclysm, as there was no way I wanted to see pandas running around).

GW2 has a lot of stupidity here and there. I don’t mind light-hearted stuff now and then, but the focus ought to be on making things that are more on the mature side.

Of course, this is pretty much par for the course for a teen-rated game. If only there was an M-rated MMO that was any good.

Omnes stulti estis, quod putatis vos esse
intellegentes eximiosque, quamvis
non fuistis, vere non estis et eritis numquam.

Posted by: Sepreh.5924

Sepreh.5924

Has to appeal to a broad range of players as an MMO. Some dark stuff for people who like that. Some funny/kiddie stuff for people who like that.

Legendary Sepreh, Necromancer
[SYN] Synyster Legion | Dragonbrand Server
Youtube Necromancer

Posted by: Sciva.4865

Sciva.4865

What’s childish about jumping puzzles, light heartedness and non-combat activities? If anything, mindless violence deep down can be seen as childish and petty. Mature is subjective and most “mature” content/games are only around to seem hip or appeal to the less mature crowd (while most of us sit there and roll our eyes.)

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Since when is this game about being dark and evil?

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

This won’t end well.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Emperor.1360

Emperor.1360

This won’t end well.

Nope.

Omnes stulti estis, quod putatis vos esse
intellegentes eximiosque, quamvis
non fuistis, vere non estis et eritis numquam.

Posted by: AinSoph.5063

AinSoph.5063

In the end we’re Human, not some mindless monsters who deep down need a fictional killing spree to keep our bloodlust in check.

I’m going to have to disagree here.

—Ain Soph— Warrior
—Fort Aspenwood—

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

They don’t add anything worthwhile for people who want to do something called PLAY THE GAME.

I find this odd, since I was playing the new content only last night and, lo and behold, I was playing the game.

Unless you mean content that appeals to you personally, of course.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Paponzi.1637

Paponzi.1637

What’s childish about jumping puzzles, light heartedness and non-combat activities? If anything, mindless violence deep down can be seen as childish and petty. Mature is subjective and most “mature” content/games are only around to seem hip or appeal to the less mature crowd (while most of us sit there and roll our eyes.)

^this

Posted by: Eddie G.8731

Eddie G.8731

20g says the OP is 16 years old and likes Linkin Park!

“If knowledge is power, then to be unknown is to be invincible.”

-Romulan proverb

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Um, have you seen some of the things people have been asking for? ‘Dark and scary’ aint it. People have asked for jumping puzzles, for easter eggs, for ‘kiddy’ stuff as you call it. They are enjoying it.

Honestly, the writing and corniness really isn’t that far beyond some of the stuff we got in the GW1 stories. The shameless plugs at pop culture, etc. In fact, I expect it of Anet.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: SirusDibley.3716

SirusDibley.3716

Well I find it strange that not once when I played Guild Wars 1 did I think mmm this is getting a bit disney.

I’l take that as a yipee……

TheDaiBish.9735

They don’t add anything worthwhile for people who want to do something called PLAY THE GAME.

I find this odd, since I was playing the new content only last night and, lo and behold, I was playing the game.

Unless you mean content that appeals to you personally, of course.

OP:

Not everything has to be dark. There’s a little something called Pacing.

If you don’t put lighthearted stuff that allows the player to have a break in between the serious stuff, the player will burn out.

Now, the murder of a person during a big festival isn’t something I’d consider as childish.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

What with all the jumping puzzles , not to mention characters and dialogue straight out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

What happened to evil , dark things .Enough of the candy floss for kiddies please , lets get back to what this games about and stop making it disney-fied.

The fact that you are the hero in the story and all professions are essentially good should have given you a clue there.
This game is not about you running around being evil- as for evil stuff I can think of plenty.
People are a bit more complex than that- some of us enjoy a balance.

Gunnar’s Hold

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Well I find it strange that not once when I played Guild Wars 1 did I think mmm this is getting a bit disney.

I’l take that as a yipee……

The Mehnlo/Cynn interaction?
How about the Gwen/Keiran interaction and subsequent wedding?

Classic soap opera, disney happy endings.

Ever listened to some of the heroes/hench when they talk? (Why hello Tahlkora!) Oh yeah, disney corniness. “That was the best fight ever!” – this line should never, ever come out of a MALE elementalist’s mouth…and yet its a common Sousuke line.

And to top it off, I simply point to male paragons (and possible some dervish), and fall into giggles all over again. Dat dress is so manly!

Posted by: Harbard.5738

Harbard.5738

It doesn’t need to be dark and gritty to be a good and clever story. Which, obviously is not the case. My kids would probably be bored to sleep with this story.

I much rather have a game with this tech in an Age of Conan world, but let’s face it: You obviously didn’t do your homework before buying this game. It’s meant to be all colorful and lighthearted. Still, it’s a shame that lighthearted ended up being just dumb, though.

Give me game. Not grind, not gating, not RNG, not +stat junk, not checklists.

(edited by Harbard.5738)

Posted by: Balkanwarrior.5132

Balkanwarrior.5132

Ahaha OP got infracted for this post. That’s sad

Posted by: Reaper.1695

Reaper.1695

I play with my teenage daughter, she’s setup with a PC and her own account. I think it’s perfect for her and she really likes it. I’m glad it’s not all blood and gore. My problems are the low lifes who find out she’s actually a female player playing a female character.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I wonder if gritty dark and violent games like say, God of War, are more popular amongst teens or mature people

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Just because it’s not dark and gritty doesn’t mean it’s for kids.

If anything in my personal experience it goes the other way. When I was a kid me and my friends were all playing Doom and Mortal Kombat 3 (we got in just before age ratings really existed, or at least were enforced) and now I’m 28 I know far more people who play ‘kid friendly’ games like Animal Crossing (I’ve never met anyone who played that who was under 20), Guild Wars, Sims etc.

Which isn’t to say I hate violence, or even blood and gore or would object to having it in my games. But it’s definitely not part of the appeal now like it used to be. Although I do still love causing crazy ‘accidents’ in GTA.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Xenon.4537

Just because it’s not dark and gritty doesn’t mean it’s for kids.

If anything in my personal experience it goes the other way. When I was a kid me and my friends were all playing Doom and Mortal Kombat 3 (we got in just before age ratings really existed, or at least were enforced) and now I’m 28 I know far more people who play ‘kid friendly’ games like Animal Crossing (I’ve never met anyone who played that who was under 20), Guild Wars, Sims etc.

Which isn’t to say I hate violence, or even blood and gore or would object to having it in my games. But it’s definitely not part of the appeal now like it used to be. Although I do still love causing crazy ‘accidents’ in GTA.

I think it’s because young people want to explore adult behavior and older people long for a return to their childhood innocence.

Xenon.4537

I play with my teenage daughter, she’s setup with a PC and her own account. I think it’s perfect for her and she really likes it. I’m glad it’s not all blood and gore. My problems are the low lifes who find out she’s actually a female player playing a female character.

My advice is teach her to pretend shes a dude at all times on the internet.

TheDaiBish.9735

He prolly got infracted for the ‘gay’ comment, and not the post itself.

You can tell that from the fact the post was edited to remove the word (and the next post advising him to remove it), and this thread not being deleted.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Sepreh.5924

Sepreh.5924

It was because he used the word “gay” to describe the game, not for the overall message of the post.

Ah ^ beat me to it :-p

Legendary Sepreh, Necromancer
[SYN] Synyster Legion | Dragonbrand Server
Youtube Necromancer

Eddie G.8731

You can also tell from the “user was infracted” message on the right margin!

-Romulan proverb

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Yeah I know what you mean, and I can say I feel her pain. I can’t offer her any advice because I’m sure she’s not as…well, cruel and vicious as I am. People tend to leave me alone when I shoot back a sadistic and disturbing response such as how much fun it would be to dismember them with a spork. Simply telling them I’m married and not on the market just never works oddly enough; I have to resort to painting vivid mental pictures of maiming them at the very least.

Posted by: MoJoe.9063

MoJoe.9063

OP reminds me of that “I only play mature games for mature gamers such as myself” image you see sometimes.

My advice is teach her to pretend shes a dude at all times on the internet.

Is that really worth it though, lying to everyone at all times just to evade those few people who might try a feeble attempt at hitting on you? If she were my daughter I’d tell her to not go out of her way to mention she’s female (that tends to be viewed as attention-whoring, aka negatively) but also not to deny it if someone asks. Then again I am male and I have no kids of my own, so…

Borlis Pass
Azman – Asura Necromancer, Kemena – Human Guardian
Emracool – Sylvari Elementalist, Lyra Lightbender – Sylvari Mesmer

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

I see the sides of both arguments here. I agree with the OP in the sense that I want immersive, deep story line with a mythical, fantasy edge to it. I think what he is trying to say is not what people are taking it as. The way it was written is not clear. But I also agree that having a mix of light hearted, good fun isn’t bad either. I prefer more of the first, and a taste of the latter personally. In the end it should be a group consensus on what everyone wants though.

Anet has seemed to teeter on the edge of too much of one, and not enough of the other, but maybe that’s the perfect mix.

1. SAB in one update (Light hearted, Good Fun)
  2. Aetherblade Retreat Dungeon in another (Mythical, Serious)

(edited by Antara.3189)

Eddie G.8731

You should teach her how to turn on the charm (if she doesn’t already know). You know what kind of awesome stuff people have given me for just assuming I’m female for playing a female character? I gotta say, it’s pretty nice.

I don’t feel too bad about it, either.

-Romulan proverb

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

If you want to appeal to kids, you need to throw in sex, potty humor, and violence.

Why? It’s because kids, being forbidden from seeing that stuff, want to go out and indulge in it as much as possible to make themselves be all “cool” and stuff. “Dark and Edgey” gets old by the time you graduate highschool, and when you are in college age you’d rather watch My Little Pony.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

It’s aimed at all audiences. That doesn’t mean it has to be gritty and violent and bloody and I really don’t understand what’s the problem with it either. Just because it doesn’t suit your dark and maaaanly tastes doesn’t mean its ok for you to insult it either. Find a game that suits your tastes better or grow up.

(edited by CharrGirl.7896)

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

1) They’re trying to mix the updates on and off about being both lighthearted and seriously toned. F&F= serious, dark tone; SAB = fun, light toned; Southsun = serious, dark again; Dragon Bash = fun things (though still overall serious tone, AND a Quake-style mini game too); Sky Pirates = very dark (started with a murder!, sheesh); Bazaar = light toned, fun, but still has dark parts (mainly the artifacts that more or less summon demonic creatures).

2) Jumping Puzzles and the like are far more mature than mindless killing. This is because they take keen hand-eye coordination and patience, something that’s completely lacking in the young generations.

3) It’s a video game, it’s about things that are fun and enjoyable. Seeing someone’s guts torn inside out in a dark, gritty way is NOT enjoyable; racing in a throwback to Mario Cart against other players to the top of a mountain IS enjoyable. But, to each their own….

Posted by: Balkanwarrior.5132

Balkanwarrior.5132

It’s aimed at all audiences. That doesn’t mean it has to be gritty and violent and bloody and I really don’t understand what’s the problem with it either. Just because it doesn’t suit your dark and maaaanly tastes doesn’t mean its ok for you to insult it either. Find a game that suits your tastes better or grow up.

Except it isn’t aimed at all audiences. It’s aimed at people who love particle affects and sparkly things

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

Except it isn’t aimed at all audiences. It’s aimed at people who love particle affects and sparkly things

Whatever you say.

Eddie G.8731

So….this thread’s still goin’, huh?

-Romulan proverb

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Shiny? Shiny!

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

The world runs in many shades, from the sugary sweet cheerfulness of cuteness to the grimdark labyrinths of death. That is just how things work. Lopsided narratives tend to be weak. Though I suppose this game’s narrative could use more effort.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: oloap.9765

oloap.9765

kinda agree this is not diablo1 or dunno. doom! but i i’d like to see more dark and scarry stuff too.
a funny thing is that one of the most apealing bits i found is Modnir Ulghot (or whatever) world boss, even in a bright open space, those words: “i’ll crash your fragile bones with a flick of my mind!” the tone of voice, can instil fear in my grown up rude charr warrior.
i’d even add some splatter effects, like bones cracking when stomped, blood slashing around with a 100 blades, some effects on bodies laying on the ground like cutted limbs, not because i’m a violecnce freak but just for a matter of realism.
I also understand that to apeal a bigger pool this can’t be done, i can imagine hordes of parents complaining about it.
read a post long ago about a mother which while playing with her doughter found a dead whale on a beach, and she was complaining cause that was gonna drive her poor kid into violence vs animals. LOL
cm on how can that be an EVISCERATE without some blood!

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

Well, the writing is already on the level of a Saturday morning cartoon show…

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Shiny? Shiny!

I see little Skritts running around!!

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

if only we could have Joss Whedon to write the stories for gw2 we could have the perfect mix of humor, dark, disney and whatever he does with his magic…

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

20g says the OP is 16 years old and likes Linkin Park!

^

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Don’t worry OP there will always be more cutesy quaggan backpacks and flowers!

Seriously though I agree 100000%. Look at the concept art. There are some really dark and very cool images represented in the art that I have really yet to see in GW2.
GW2 is nowhere near as dark and adult themed than it’s predecessor was

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

evil dark thing = mature adult.

lolz

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

Stormcrow.7513

There is way way way too much cutesy crap in GW2.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Back when I was 16 I’d have agreed with you. Now I’m 26 and realize that Disney has the coolest movies ever, mario is awesome and gritty games are boring, shallow excuses for “games”. Nudity nor swearing have anything to do with maturity. One day you’ll grow and realize that too.

I don’t care about “maturity” if the gameplay is good. The new content in GW2 is awesome, better than anything I played with an 18+ label on it. This game doesn’t belong on consoles because this game is mature.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Stormcrow.7513

Quaggans against RNG boxes

Your sig suggests a predilection for cutesy.