Making gathering tools account wide

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SlooTie.7105

SlooTie.7105

Hey, I’m not sure if it’s supposed to go here, but I’ve an idea that would most of the players (atleast those I know) really appreciate.
I’m talking about making gathering tools from Gem Shop account wide, not just account bound. It would work like the Wardrobe, you select a slot and choose which tools you want, after you unlock them from Gem Shop for your account. Also it would be nice if every gathering tool got the same effect as the Watchwork Sprocket mining pick, just with a different material.
I think this would help sales, since a lot more people would think it’s worth it to buy more than one type and also it would make life easier, just choosing what you want instead of running to the bank everytime you want to change a character.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I could support this.
I’m sure there would be people requesting refunds for purchasing more than one… but if your idea was implemented I would perhaps buy my first gathering tool from the gemstore. Perhaps.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Would certainly kitten off the people who bought multiple tools, though. If they did that they’d have to think about offering some refunds.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

People asked for them to be account bound, they did that. Now it is account wide. If they do that what will be next? Not need any at all and just harvest by looking at the node?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Since so many people have bought multiple tools already, it may be too late for them to do something like this without losing a lot of money on refunds.

One option I’ve seen suggested is account wide inventory bags sold in the gem store. It would require buying one for each character but in it you could hold such items such as tools, food/nourishments, boosters or ascended weapons.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

People asked for them to be account bound, they did that. Now it is account wide. If they do that what will be next? Not need any at all and just harvest by looking at the node?

Something along the lines of this ran through my mind too lol

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I honestly just go to the bank. Which take 20 second at most if I need something. I don’t think those 6-7 silver is a big deal.

Having spend a great of time as a miner in GW2, I “personally” don’t think you save that much time.

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Instead of offering this, how about a gem store item that acts like an account-wide bag. The bag would allow all characters on the account access to the objects held inside it. It would be useful for ascended armor/weapons as well as food and gathering tools.
This bag would not harm any of those that already purchased multiple tools as its intentions is to share account bound objects of the player’s choice.

PS – this was not my original idea. I don’t remember who suggested it, sorry. But I thought this idea would be a good compromise to what the OP of this thread is suggesting.
EDIT: Wow sorry Astral I read the suggestion in another thread and then just now saw that I was beaten to that by you as well. I really did read the thread before posting but was late submitting. by a lot

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

(edited by Infernia.9847)

Posted by: Mac.3872

Mac.3872

Hey, I’m not sure if it’s supposed to go here, but I’ve an idea that would most of the players (atleast those I know) really appreciate.
I’m talking about making gathering tools from Gem Shop account wide, not just account bound. It would work like the Wardrobe, you select a slot and choose which tools you want, after you unlock them from Gem Shop for your account. Also it would be nice if every gathering tool got the same effect as the Watchwork Sprocket mining pick, just with a different material.
I think this would help sales, since a lot more people would think it’s worth it to buy more than one type and also it would make life easier, just choosing what you want instead of running to the bank everytime you want to change a character.

This is probably the ideal method for me, especially if they would apply it to weapons, armour and trinkets too.
whether they would put this much effort into their game or not, is for another thread.

(edited by Mac.3872)

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

I honestly just go to the bank. Which take 20 second at most if I need something. I don’t think those 6-7 silver is a big deal.

Having spend a great of time as a miner in GW2, I “personally” don’t think you save that much time.

Travelling to an NPC and paying 6-7 silver kind of defeats the purpose of an infinite gathering tool – a convenience item that lets us bypass spending small amounts of money on gathering tools and travelling to an NPC to obtain them.

Azhure.1857

Do we need to get the Negative Nancy bat?

Azhure.1857

Since so many people have bought multiple tools already, it may be too late for them to do something like this without losing a lot of money on refunds.

One option I’ve seen suggested is account wide inventory bags sold in the gem store. It would require buying one for each character but in it you could hold such items such as tools, food/nourishments, boosters or ascended weapons.

That’s another interesting suggestion.

Yargesh.4965

Sounds way too kinky for my tastes.

Azhure.1857

Sounds way too kinky for my tastes.

No, sugar, that’s the paddle.

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

I could support this.
I’m sure there would be people requesting refunds for purchasing more than one… but if your idea was implemented I would perhaps buy my first gathering tool from the gemstore. Perhaps.

Lol I tried requesting an Exchange from Bone Pick to Watchwork, as a newer player I did not think the Watchwork would ever be available again, so jumped at the chance of an endless pick…… Then next week they put the Watchwork one on sale. I feel so bummed as that one has Sprocket chances and as I missed LS1 no chance at the In home node……….

Talk about a huge NO from Anet………. you would think that for customer service reasons ( pity I dont live in NH or the law would have been against them) that they could have just swapped them out……

Sucks that they would make one pick better than the others and not care about it !!

btw is there another way to get the sprockets without that pick / node now that LS1 is gone ?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

@Kohtelth
“btw is there another way to get the sprockets without that pick / node now that LS1 is gone?”

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Laurel_Merchant
Gift of Sprockets. 25 laurels and 15 gold.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

I certainly would prefer to be unlocked on every character created. (even though I have 2 frost wasp logging tools.)
A refund would be sweet, I’d throw it onto an outfit, but wouldn’t be overly bothered with it.

Heck they could up the price to 1500 per tool = unlocked on every char. This way those who bought multiple, bought them at the cheaper price and arent losing out much.

And anyway, how many people have an unnlimited tool (the same one) on EVERY char? Would anyone actually say no to every char getting a copy of the tool?

And I definitely think more people would buy them if they doidn’t have to constantly switch them around. Going to the bank is annoying.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Plucking them straight off the mini map might be the way to go.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

- Have you ever seen a tool that only one person is able to use?
Neither have I.

Could we at least pretend for a second that the overall direction a game should take would be towards what is ‘fun’ rather than speculated effect on player ‘metrics’.

Nah, screw fun, that’s for other games. Instead let’s think of ways how gathering would be the most boring and tedious task ever. I know, let’s make it so that gathering tools can only be used for limited time! And you must change the gathering tool depending what quality stuff you’re harvesting! Then let’s limit stack sizes! Then, as an insult to injury, let’s raise a paywall to lessen these handicaps.
Oh wait they already did all of that.

Yargesh.4965

Neither have I.

Could we at least pretend for a second that the overall direction a game should take would be towards what is ‘fun’ rather than speculated effect on player ‘metrics’.

Nah, screw fun, that’s for other games. Instead let’s think of ways how gathering would be the most boring and tedious task ever. I know, let’s make it so that gathering tools can only be used for limited time! And you must change the gathering tool depending what quality stuff you’re harvesting! Then let’s limit stack sizes! Then, as an insult to injury, let’s raise a paywall to lessen these handicaps.

Do you know of any tools you do not need to go and pick up/drop off if someone else was using them?

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Neither have I.

I think you are pretty unfair to blame Anet from making stupid decisions.
Stacksize limit of 250 has been in the game since the release, it is nothing they put in later on. The limit is there for a reason and for a few months ago they let us pay a few gems (wich you still can get for gold) to up this limit for those who collect more crafting materials. Everyone does not require more stacksize and with that it’s not as “costly” as it would have been to give every player 1k stacksize or none even. In other MMO’s I have played stacksizes are smaller and Require even more materials to craft (Not countnig ascended stuff :-/). I am very happy that Anet let me have the option to up my stack limit, it was a nice implemented feature to a pretty cheap prize.

The special crafting tools was bound to characters in the beginning, they have been kind enough to make them Bound on Account now and I am realy happy for that since now I can swap them between my characters when I know I will be exploring a long time with that char.

For me fun is not only pressing one button and I am level 80 and have a Legendary, Finnished all Achievements and so on. Fun for me is when I have to plan ahead, prepare for an adventure and ofcourse the adventure in itself. I don’t wan’t everything served on a plate to make it all fun. Your compairison with real life is wierd, ofcourse we can use eachothers tools (That’s why they are bound on account) but we can’t use them at the same time in different locations.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Zenith.6403

Stacksize limit of 250 has been in the game since the release, it is nothing they put in later on. The limit is there for a reason and for a few months ago they let us pay a few gems (wich you still can get for gold) to up this limit for those who collect more crafting materials.

- So you’re paying for something that’s completely artificial limitation. Value given to variables in the code. It’s not content or experiences. Is this what gaming has become?

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Stacksize limit of 250 has been in the game since the release, it is nothing they put in later on. The limit is there for a reason and for a few months ago they let us pay a few gems (wich you still can get for gold) to up this limit for those who collect more crafting materials.

- So you’re paying for something that’s completely artificial limitation. Value given to variables in the code. It’s not content or experiences. Is this what gaming has become?

I don’t know mutch about coding and how that stuff works but what I know is that every peice of information takes up space on Anet server… So by having infinite ammount of crafting on so many players that is playing the game would take alot of space. 250 has been the stack limit even in GW1 and there I don’t even recall being able to get bigger stacks only to get more storage space.

Would you rather never have the option to get bigger stacks?

I gladly pay some Gold for bigger stacks yes… And I have payed with real cash also and I do not regret that, since I don’t pay monthly I gladly pay a few euros now and then to support the game.

Zenith.6403

I don’t know mutch about coding and how that stuff works but what I know is that every peice of information takes up space on Anet server… So by having infinite ammount of crafting on so many players that is playing the game would take alot of space.

- Byte is the smallest accessible piece of information that computer holds. It consists of eight bits and can have 2^8 = 256 different states. Number of onions in your bank can be expressed in the value of one byte. The size of modern games is often expressed in gigabytes. One gigabyte is 1 073 741 824 bytes. I hope this gives you a perspective just how much space your bank is consuming.

- Alright, so you’ve resigned yourself to the idea that whatever Anet does is the necessary and good action to take. When they ease the burden they themselves have caused on you, you feel happy. Sounds like a recipe of abusive relationship.

(edited by Zenith.6403)

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I don’t know mutch about coding and how that stuff works but what I know is that every peice of information takes up space on Anet server… So by having infinite ammount of crafting on so many players that is playing the game would take alot of space.

- Byte is the smallest accessible piece of information that computer holds. It consists of eight bits and can have 2^8 = 256 different states. Number of onions in your bank can be expressed in the value of one byte. The size of modern games is often expressed in gigabytes. One gigabyte is 1 073 741 824 bytes. I hope this gives you a perspective just how much space your bank is consuming.

- Alright, so you’ve resigned yourself to the idea that whatever Anet does is the necessary and good action to take. When they ease the burden they themselves have caused on you, you feel happy. Sounds like a recipe of abusive relationship.

As I said I don’t know enough about it to be arguing about it. There is a reason to why they have had 250 stacks even since beginning of GW1.

I havent resigned myself to the idea that whatever Anet does is the necessary and good action to take. But as I don’t disagree to what they have made yet, it may look like that. But as soon as P2W stuff pops up in the shop I will start complaining I assure you that, but as it just is convenience, fluff, servers and cosmetics I fully support a game trying to make money in their more or less only way of making money.
This is totaly off topic and I wont argue anymore about this, atleast not here.

Posted by: Andrasta Ethereal.8726

Andrasta Ethereal.8726

How about converting the previous incarnations of the infinite tools from soulbound to account bound my thief has all three and is soulbound to her only

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

How about converting the previous incarnations of the infinite tools from soulbound to account bound my thief has all three and is soulbound to her only

Already done. Make sure the tools are in your inventory and talk to the black lion weapons specialist in any major city. When you do, you’ll see an option to exchange the soulbound ones for account bound ones.

Posted by: Andrasta Ethereal.8726

Andrasta Ethereal.8726

Already done. Make sure the tools are in your inventory and talk to the black lion weapons specialist in any major city. When you do, you’ll see an option to exchange the soulbound ones for account bound ones.

nice 1

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Tools Of The Trade

Gem Store “infinite” tools are an income generator for ArenaNet, and probably a pretty good source of revenue.

Thus I doubt they will want to do anything that would cut into that, not because they are evil or greedy, but because they have to cover their development and operating costs somehow, and that’s one of the things paying their bills.

That said, I wouldn’t mind if they did make them account-wide anyway.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Travelling to an NPC and paying 6-7 silver kind of defeats the purpose of an infinite gathering tool – a convenience item that lets us bypass spending small amounts of money on gathering tools and travelling to an NPC to obtain them.

I actually go to the bank because of the extra boost of sprocket. Else I probably wont’ go to the bank.

The other pick I actually see it as a fluff item.