Marionette style return

Marionette style return

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Does anybody else miss this boss? I know lore wise it doesn’t make sense for it to return, but I feel that it is such a shame as the mechanics were beautiful. It wasn’t super easy (like Shatterer, or Shadow Behemoth), but wasn’t hard (like Teq or Triple Trouble). I thought it was the perfect middle ground.

Frankly I’d love to see a world boss like this added in to the rotation. I’d also love the actual marionette to come back as a Fractal, but that would take some major reworks to function as a 5 man team (but would be a great addition I think).

What are your thoughts?

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Marionette style return

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

They’ve said all season one content will be returning, one would assume that means this too. I’m betting this will be in the form of one of the new guild spawned boss events, it perfectly fits the new tech and everything, it’s be just like the triwurm or tequatl except it never spawns on its own.

Marionette style return

Posted by: Synesh.1094

Synesh.1094

There was a placeholder name in a list of open world bosses that hinted that we might get a new hardcore world boss in the line of Triwurm and Tequatle during Season 2. So far we have no real sign of this happening but I but some eggs on a possible new zone or well detailed fight agaist the Shadow of the Dragon.
The thing that attacked the Pale tree.

Marionette style return

Posted by: Kurrilino.2706

Kurrilino.2706

Dear god, i don’t miss this boss.
Marionette was actually the prototype of what is wrong with GW2.
Mass zerking in general is no fun for people over the age of 12

Marionette style return

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

I enjoyed organizing it. And I am way older than 12.

Marionette style return

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

What I liked was that is wasn’t that much zerging as todays bosses, the 5 lanes split the zerg into 5 smaller one. and in the small arena you went with 4-5 people.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

Marionette style return

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

It was an excellent boss, in fact the most fun i have had vs a boss in the game to date. The difficulty level was spot on for the number of players involved at the time.

It would be great to see it back…maybe the inquest could get hold of it as a reason to exist. Kudos to the team who designed her.

Marionette style return

Posted by: Kurrilino.2706

Kurrilino.2706

I am quite happy never to see the Eather Pirates again.
If i wanna fight the Borg i go and play Star Trek Online

Marionette style return

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

The marionette fight was my favourite of the bosses from Season 1; it was fun to organize, and even more fun to play through. I would definitely be glad to see it return at some point in the future, whether as a fractal boss, or as a triggered event.

Marionette style return

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I also miss the Marionette. It was fun, but it could also be frustrating. It did require a certain amount of organization, and a willingness to work together, which unfortunately attracts trolls.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Marionette style return

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

The marionette was perfect. Why? Because it could be won or lose at any moment.

Right now we got bosses that we know it’s a loss without coordination (three headed wurm) and bosses that we know they are a win no matter how dumb the people is (shadow behemoth, shatterer…). However, marionette was sometimes a win and sometimes a lose, which made it fun. In my server map (Baruch bay) i commanded it daily 3-4 times and after 2 weeks the number was something like 24 wins and 29 loses.

What i want to say is… that it wasn’t impossible but neither a faceroll, people had to be focused and not just spam skill 1 to make it through.

It also divided zergs into 5 lanes which made zerg lag dissapear to a certain degree and it had fun mechanics for mini-bosses that made you realize the whole event depends on you, not the big mass of players around. We were reduced to rooms of 4-5 players and that’s good because it puts the pressure into everyone, and if the event was suceeded, everyone knew it was because they did fine!

Seriously… put it back

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

(edited by Elrey.5472)

Marionette style return

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Clearly you did not participate, otherwise you wouldn’t call it zerging. Unless…you think 5 people is a zerg? But…you couldn’t possibly mean that? Right? (The marionette portion split your group up into 5 5-man groups that all had to beat a mini-boss to successfully damage her. I’m explaining it because I don’t believe you ever did it)

Also, if you zerg-ed one lane and get into a marionette portion mentioned above, you were locked out of participating on the marionette portion for the next X minutes (was a debuff), which basically meant you couldn’t do the next lane, meaning that lane would fail. Meaning essentially the event would fail.

You literally could not zerg and hope to win.

If none of this makes sense to you, then you didn’t do the marionette.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Marionette style return

Posted by: guardian.6489

guardian.6489

YES YES I DO.

I really want this boss back.

Retired Leader of TTS

Marionette style return

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I loved the marionette. I kept doing that fight well after getting all the achieves.

I think the person complaining about it used “zerking” not “zerging.” Either a typo, or s/he meant “everyone geared as berserker.” Which wasn’t true, I didn’t. Plus the fight called for all sorts of useful skills and utilities. Sure it was good to stack up the might, but it was also good to have extra dodges, group stability, etc.

It certainly wasn’t a zerg, though it did need most of a full zone of people to get it done.

Marionette style return

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I enjoyed organizing it. And I am way older than 12.

Same here.

On US, I had quite a lot of people telling me they only saw it succeed when I was a Commander, and got many other complimentary whispers. Of course there was a troll or two, but meh.

Marionette style return

Posted by: Kaldrys.1978

Kaldrys.1978

Marionette was the best open world group content this game has ever seen. It had the perfect balance of zerg content in the lanes to create a sense of scale while also highlighting individual contribution in the mini-arenas. Compare Marionette to season 2 group content (dry top) and it’s just… ugh. Even most of the other stuff in season 1 (escape from la, battle for la, tower of nightmares, even boss blitz postseason) was way more engaging than dry top.

Marionette style return

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

That’s what I loved about it. It made the zerg separate in a natural way, but kept some for those who like it. It then caused you to work in small teams as well. Since you had to wait between team chances, it allowed many people to take their turn and work together. The design was brilliant in my opinion and it was great fun!

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Marionette style return

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Maybe an adaptation that required map wide coordination but relating to the current mordrem LS could be intrpoduced. For instance, a big mordrem boss attacks a number of waypoints in an zone and players have to meet the threat. It’ll be a bit like triple wurm without the mechanics of the wurm fight. For example, in frostgorge sound mordrem tentacles attack a wp, if that is defeated then two other wps are attacked, if that succeeds then three different wps are attacked. If that attack is repelled then all six are attacked at once. Failure of the event will result in between 1-3 wps being put out of commission temporarily. While the attack is underway no was can be used as the asura engineers shut down the wp network to prevent the spread. This would prevent zergs moving from one wp to another. The event also has to be completed within a timeframe to prevent the wps from being disabled

Marionette style return

Posted by: aRestless.6213

aRestless.6213

I’d love to revisit the major open world events from season 1. I’ve also been a fan of the Lion’s Arch events (evacuation as well as the attack on scarlet). A few days ago I made a suggestion called “Guild Fractals” for exactly this type of thing (Link).

In short: Through fractals and the story journal we are now able to revisit parts of past living world events, I’d really appreciate the same option for the large open world events like the marionette, boss blitz, siege of LA, tower of nightmares and so on.

Never lose track of your friends again, with Who’s Talking for Overwolf

Marionette style return

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

They’ve said all season one content will be returning, one would assume that means this too. I’m betting this will be in the form of one of the new guild spawned boss events, it perfectly fits the new tech and everything, it’s be just like the triwurm or tequatl except it never spawns on its own.

Did they say it would all be returning? I thought they said they’d like to, but they didn’t say it would actually happen, or that they were working on it.

Marionette style return

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Did they say it would all be returning? I thought they said they’d like to, but they didn’t say it would actually happen, or that they were working on it.

Well, they kind of said both. Colin said ‘Yes, we absolutely will/want to bring back Season One content….’ But, also said, it isn’t something they are working on, or planning to work on in the near future.

So…choose whatever side of the coin you most desire. /shrug

Marionette style return

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

best event in GW2 ever………..it has to come back….some how…some way (guild event). no event felt as rewarding as this when you won. Not surprisingly, that Josh Foreman dev who did SAB had something to do with it…

perfect large scale event……….starts as a non-zerg medium group stage (5 groups of 20-25) to a party-play stage (5 parties of 4-5 players). but everything came down to the 5 party stage…kill your boss with it’s mechanic, and you felt elated….but then nervous that the next group might fail…………….and nothing felt better than being the last lane up, with no more chances, and you pull it out.

MUST COME BACK.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Relshdan.6854)

Marionette style return

Relshdan.6854

and even though there is no sign of this LS1 conent coming back anytime soon……..planting the seeds about the content we did love, early, is not a bad idea.

this event was met with the usual MASS WHINING about difficulty and having to rely on others etc etc etc….so an overwhelmingly pro-marionette thread like this is a good thing.

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Marionette style return

Relshdan.6854

Marionette was the best open world group content this game has ever seen. It had the perfect balance of zerg content in the lanes to create a sense of scale while also highlighting individual contribution in the mini-arenas. Compare Marionette to season 2 group content (dry top) and it’s just… ugh. Even most of the other stuff in season 1 (escape from la, battle for la, tower of nightmares, even boss blitz postseason) was way more engaging than dry top.

agree that group events in Dry Top are more in line with standard stuff from the original zones……which makes sense, but is sub-par compared to the later group events of LS1.

that said….i kinda like the focus on semi-challenging solo content LS2 has brought so far. it fills the void between soloing dungeons and regular solo open world play….and greatly improves on the PS missions. It seems this season will be short…so maybe the next goes back top more group-event oriented storytelling.

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold