Marketing GW2

Marketing GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: PeskyJNixon.8236

PeskyJNixon.8236

Good morning fine GW2 fans and ArenaNET people (at least its morning where I am). I am groggily writing this as I recuperate after three long days at the Penny Arcade Expo in Boston. It was a great time! But onto the crux of the conversation I want to start.

Where the heck is GW2’s marketing department? Why are they not pushing this game outside of strictly GW2 markets? I’m talking about representing themselves at community events (PAXEast and other game conventions) and online outside of specifically GW2 communities (MMO Champion as an example).

At PAX I spend most of the convention just talking to people primarily because my wife works in the industry so I tend to support her at panels and doing some husband as forklift jobs while she’s doing interviews with devs and folks. I spoke to dozens of complete strangers about what games they play and what they thought of the MMO scene in general (given that really there is only Wildstar and Everquest NEXT in the AAA queue which is a little scary after years of having something new to look forward to). No one mentioned GW2 and when I brought it up the reaction I got from a lot of people was a shaked head followed by “Its sad that it failed”. When I explained that economically the game is actually doing quite well and has delivered content more regularly than any MMO I am aware of I was universally met with disbelief – the average MMO player seems to equate GW2 with SWOTOR and Warhammer Online (as games that have ceased to create content outside of things to buy… or simply ceased being).

I’ve gone to PAX for four years. Outside of the PAX prior to release, ArenaNET has never really been active at the convention and even then it was just on the panels, never with a booth. This year apparently Jon and Colin were onsite but they had a room completely separate from the convention (it was in the adjacent hotel) and it was for Press only.

GW2 is a great game. I’ve been playing MMO’s for over a decade and GW2 is the first that I really just fell in love with. I play everyday, I play PvE and WvW and ever so occasionally sPvP (although I have begun watching the tournament and those are really fun). There is so much content within the game! I honestly believe that even a modest booth with a game play demo would have resulting in hundreds of game sales. Heck, there was a THREE HOUR wait at the Microsoft Booth to play Killzone on the Xbox One. That game has been out for six months and I think it would be hard to argue that their level of content has increased even at a fractional level where GW2 has a year worth of bi-weekly updates and a movie that summarizes new content and changes!

Your forum community managers are superb. Your game and design are impeccable (not to say improvements can’t be made, but you tend to make them). But its time for ArenaNET or NCSoft to reach out to top notch professional marketing teams that can trot the product around (the less said about the live action GW2 commercial from just post launch the better).

Next year at PAXEast make sure you have a presence. Look at Bioware’s model, this year they didn’t have their booths and didn’t have high profile panels, but they did setup their own room in the convention hall and have trailers for their games past and present rolling, writers, devs, and community managers available to talk to fans and I think they are going to walk away with a lot of both awareness and good will.

If this weekend was any indication, the greater community seems to have forgotten that your game exists, do not let them. I’m writing this as someone who is VERY invested in your game, world, and future prosperity.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Millillion.5914

Millillion.5914

The #1 method for killing your own product is to not sell it.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Well, the game is almost 2 years old, so they probably won’t market it as much as they did back when it was new. It is what it is at this point, and most of the income will come from their existing fanbase. Most everyone probably already knows what GW2 offers.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I agree with the sentiment proposed by the OP. Good post, and I hope the ANet developers read it and take it to heart.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I think MMO developers and publishers tend to give up on marketing their product about 6 months after release and just rely on word-of-mouth to market the game while working on retaining the player-base they have built over that time.

That’s a fair way to go about things, but I agree it might not be ideal.

MMOs are evolving products and as such they change over time. That’s a big part of what keeps me engaged as a player. But MMOs need to sell that change to new potential customers, which they rarely do.

I can understand that Guild Wars 2 might not be given much attention at this point because NC Soft, their publisher, is more focused on marketing Wildstar. But it would be a shame for the attention given to Wildstar to come at the expense of Guild Wars 2, which after tomorrow’s patch, has quite a lot going for it.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Glaurung.1076

Glaurung.1076

I agree with you wholeheardely. Most MMO players have no idea what GW2 is about and the lack of an expansion only feeds the talks about a failed product.

From the failed trailers (the live action one especially) and some bad marketing moves i believe they need to change the marketing team. The only good thing ive see from their side was the Super Adventure Box trailer and the GW2 Chinese trailer.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Isn’t marketing part of NCsoft’s job? And they never spend much money for marketing.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Marketing GW2

PeskyJNixon.8236

I agree with you wholeheardely. Most MMO players have no idea what GW2 is about and the lack of an expansion only feeds the talks about a failed product.

Really, that is my biggest disappointment with the decision not to do (or at least not to announce) expansions within the game. I do feel like we’ve been given more than an expansion worth of material over the last year, certainly with tomorrow’s patch there is a constant feeling of newness for me.

I feel like conventions like PAX are the place where if you impress enough of the crowd ideas will spread like wildfire and word of mouth will work for you. Once they roll out the straight death arenas in sPvP I feel like tournaments will become more eSport friendly, and with that change alone had Anet showed up with ten computers connected to a test server for people to give that a shot it would have likely impressed/enticed a number of previous non-players or retired players.

Marketing GW2

PeskyJNixon.8236

Isn’t marketing part of NCsoft’s job? And they never spend much money for marketing.

At least as it applies to PAXeast, NC Soft sprung for a HUGE middle of the trade floor presentation for Wildstar this year. Even the year of GW2’s launch there was no onsite booth, just five (or six I can’t remember) members of the Anet team who attended four panels.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

this is always been a big problem with ANET they have a horrible PR department. remember the taxi video or the pledge video they made for PR i thought that was horrible and embarassing. anyways they need to invest in commercials good one not the guy painting then swimming then becomes norn that was stupid. they need to make trailers that will peak current players and spectator about the game. the fractal trailer i thought was awesome but they can try make one of beautiful CGI scene like how blizzard does it.

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

Marketing GW2

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

At least as it applies to PAXeast, NC Soft sprung for a HUGE middle of the trade floor presentation for Wildstar this year. Even the year of GW2’s launch there was no onsite booth, just five (or six I can’t remember) members of the Anet team who attended four panels.

GW2 had huge panels aswell especially @ gamescom.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Merus.9475

Merus.9475

I feel like Living World Season 2 would be a great time to do a expansion-type marketing push. Lots of the end-game and the feel of the game has changed; you’ll have new characters and concept art to show, and a very clear call to action. Also an explicit Season 2 trailer serves much the same as an expansion trailer – the game is healthy, investments are being made.

Just please, make an appealing trailer. Most of the trailers the game has had after launch have been pretty terrible, and the formula for a decent trailer for this kind of material is so simple: 30 seconds to show the premise (that’s compelling to an outsider – e.g. don’t show Lion’s Arch destroyed, show a character concerned about an elder dragon preparing to attack); 30 seconds to show an escalation; 30 seconds to a minute of stuff players will see – combat, concept art of new areas, lots of quick cuts to make it look like it’s very exciting and there’s lots to see and do.

Obviously you’re not going to make a great trailer, but the droning voice and out-of-context camera sweeps through bits of the map aren’t anywhere close to great so let’s walk before we run.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: syn.9786

syn.9786

Wildstar gets a huge thing at PAX because it’s a new game and it makes sense to want to build hype for that. Do you know what convention space costs? A few hundred new game sales don’t come close to covering that, especially considering there’s no sub fee you are getting with that and the game itself is heavily discounted most of the time by now.

Marketing GW2

PeskyJNixon.8236

Syn, I’m not suggesting that Anet spring for a huge convention space. But there were indie games with very modest PR budgets that had sizable spaces on the floor. What I was asking for was something, anything for the Anet team to make it clear that they still existed.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: SchuMidas.4782

SchuMidas.4782

after the feature patch, they ll kill quite a few player base yet again.
while the feature is quite nice, but its actually what they must have on the launch day.

while my self, i quite enjoy mining and world boss run, but their new megaserver will kill both of my activity in a patch.

but we ll see how that ll turn out.

SchuMidas – Guardian
Guild Pro Baddies [Pro] @ Tarnished Coast

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Maybe it doesn’t need marketing

Kind of like how Sriracha hot sauce has become incredibly popular in the past few years or so despite having 0 marketing other than word of mouth.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

OP, how many two year old games did you see marketed at PAX? I’m curious because I don’t really know of many games that hit shows years after they release.

The problem is most games sell most copies it’ll ever sell during the first three months of business. And while MMOs are different, they’re not different enough to say that it’s worth the expense of promoting at conventions, which isn’t really cheap to begin with.

I’d say that most people who are interested in this game would have picked it up already. Trying to advertise it to people who aren’t interested, for whatever reason, is probably a waste of resources.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Wrath x CrAzY.5741

Wrath x CrAzY.5741

There’s no point in wasting time and money on customers you already have, they’ve bought the product and support you, and will more than likely continue to support you because they bought it for one reason; they like/want what you have to offer. All they have to do for those consumers (us) is continue to put out forms of content. Everyone at the conventions are more than likely video game fans, more than casually, and already know about the game. Great products market themselves through word-of-mouth.

Everyone saying there’s huge costs for everything… it’s really not that expensive to produce “marketing” content in house, or run a successful marketing/pr campaign. Especially if they partner with another company. Just look at the BMW Films and James Bond partnership if you want to see an extremely effective, low-cost campaign that was solely designed around capturing a new consumer base.

That aside, who knows the internal metrics and politics of the company, perhaps they’re far exceeding their expectations so it just doesn’t matter and isn’t worth it to them at the current time to worry about marketing.

(edited by Wrath x CrAzY.5741)

Marketing GW2

PeskyJNixon.8236

Wrath, I understand what you are trying to say but to actually have personal on site at the largest east coast gaming convention and NOT communicate at all with your community or the gaming community is a wasted opportunity. There would have been 0 cost to opening their doors to their fans for a couple hours a day and dropping a note in the GW2 forums and Reddit and it would have bought good will. Just because someone likes your game today and supports you doesn’t mean they always will. Creating a connection will prolong that relationship.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

the best video game trailer i ever seen is GOW3 the hype doesnt stop from start to finish Anet need to hire the guy who made the trailer for GOW3

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

Marketing GW2

PeskyJNixon.8236

OP, how many two year old games did you see marketed at PAX? I’m curious because I don’t really know of many games that hit shows years after they release.

Actually historically there have been a good number of older games on the floor. Lord of Rings Online has had space there for the last three years. League of Legends has had a huge setup for at least four years. The Microsoft booth was mostly there advertising games that have been out for months if not close to a year.

Bioware had their own room and was mainly talking about what they had already done in the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games (oddly enough outside of the trailer occasionally running on their big screen I didn’t really hear the game referenced in the hours I spent in that room).

All that being said, let me clarify and say I don’t think that Anet necessarily needs a large spot on the convention floor, but having their folks involved in panels and/or having a small room open to the community would go a long way. The fact that Colin Johannson and Jon Peters were on site but they had a room in a separate building that was specifically not open to GW2 fans but just press. For no money at all they could have opened the room up to fans for two hours a day to interact with fans – that alone would have gone a long way.

I should also say, I’m not trying to blindly criticize Anet. I want to help. I want them to be super successful (not saying that they are not successful). I was completely floored that person after person that I spoke to thought the game was dead – and by dead I mean unsupported, without content, and in some cases believing that the game didn’t even exist anymore.

(edited by PeskyJNixon.8236)

Marketing GW2

PeskyJNixon.8236

Maybe it doesn’t need marketing

Kind of like how Sriracha hot sauce has become incredibly popular in the past few years or so despite having 0 marketing other than word of mouth.

I don’t believe this to be true.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Fenar.4025

Fenar.4025

They probably feel that the cost of marketing a 2 year old game at conventions outweighs any benefit they would get. They still market, though:

1. Sales promotions
2. PR. You read articles about GW2 in the gaming press all the time
3. Word of mouth
4. Big marketing campaign in China
5. They will be announcing some big content soon. Believe it.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

1. No expansions means no visible game progression or evolution for average MMO player.

2. The game is infamous because of said “fail” – Fail to what, destroy WoW? This is just a wrong assumption and opinion and should be taken care of by PR manager.

3. The game simply lacks visible features. It has a lot of small, cool things but lacks in challanges especially in PvE.

4. The game has terrible tutorials. If I did not know about the features of the game prior to release, I would have no idea how things work, really.
Many quit the game on early stages just because they couldn’t understand the concept of leave.

5. The game has almost no machinima community. It’s a huuge part of game promotion. Just look at World of Warcraft achinima done during all these years. Thousands of videos, some of excellent quality and they’re all on the net, effectivly marketing the game. What does the WoW have then? A studio for every videomaker or free Sony Vegas Pro copy?
Nope. Free Camera, some emotes and model extractor. That’s it.

6. Technical problems – the game is still poorly optimized and requires decent PC to run. Not to mention that the game on details below high look horrible and excells only with most of the features turned on.
That’s why WoW, TESO have non-shiny, a little cartoony or toned down graphics – they make look not that awesome, but they run decently on every PC increasing the playerbase.

7. Story – This is an issue too. Story of GW2 overall is just a lackluster compared to the first game. The thing that still keeps me playing TESO isn’t the game really. It’s the quests, story, plot and lore. They’re all incredibly well done and hell lot of fun.
Somehow Zenimax managed to make interesting, thrilling l, exciting and not obvious, mature plots and quests with the same PEGI as GW2..

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Marketing GW2

Posted by: The Geil.8605

The Geil.8605

This is not just a game that’s two years old. For all we know currently, there’s going to be a second season in Living Story which have potential to be even bigger than season 1. And season 1 was bigger than what I would call an expansion.

I was a Dreamhack Winter 2013 and Blizzard i.e. had a booth for Reaper of Souls. That’s an expansion and expansion content, just as the living story is the expanding world of Guild Wars 2. That is why they should be at as many convensions as possible and market the new content. They even did a great job at PAX last year with the preview of Tequalt. Do more of that and do it publicly in the Expo area. That would definetly bring more attention to the game, especially because it’s an “old” game. That would get the word even more out there because people would be wondering why they do it.

And then, I’ve never heard about GW2 Event Marketing outside the US. Get to EU. We got tons of events aswell where you can join in. ;-)

Seafarer’s Rest – Get off Me [LAND]
GW2.Ninja – Tickets.GW2.Ninja – Collections.GW2.Ninja – Directory.GW2.Ninja
Want a GW2.Link shortlink? Send me an in-game message.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

QoL changes like the ones coming tomorrow, and excellent for the installed userbase and the overall quality of the game, but they won’t do much to bring new players (pvp aside).

One of the flaws with the living story (part 1), is that unlike a real expansion, it was ineffective at bringing new players, especially due to the temporary nature of it.

In order to bring new players, GW2 needs to offer more or better content in some of the areas that is currently lacking (repeatable story progression system, pvp infrastructure, more challenging and more diversified challenging content, much expanded guild features, a more exciting reward system), and then advertise them all under an expansion bundle or something else. Then, players who want deeper combat tactics, players who like challenge, players who want a rewarding experience far richer than gain gold -> go to tp, people who want guild housing/ halls/ battles/ more content, all kinds of players that GW2 currently has a hard time appealing to, could give a second thought on this game and get it.

For example, I have a brother that used to be excited about GW2 2 years ago, but didn’t have the money to buy it at the time. He eventually lost interest on the game, saying that he didn’t like it very much based on what he saw/ what they told to him. Because I enjoy GW2, I wanted to defend the game and attempt to bring him to Tyria, but what arguments could I use?

“Oh GW2 has a very interesting combat system!… But pve’s encounters don’t make good use of it and the whole thing revolves to zerging, auto-attacking or zerk stacking…”

“Oh, GW2 has great potential for pvp! But it lacks infrastructure, it lacks rewards (until tomorrow), it has many flaws in the matchmaking, has no diversity, and is currently poorly balanced!”

“Oh, GW2 has this awesome world to explore! But without much challenge, and completing world exploration gets monotonous and generic very quickly…”

“Oh, GW2 had this awesome challenging solo content, and this awesome explorable map where you could use some cool abilities like super jumps or super speed boosts, and this awesome dungeon where you even had to jump to evade some attacks! But it was all temporary, it no longer exists in the game, except the dungeon, which is randomized inside another dungeon-like content”.

“Oh, but there’s so much potential!… Yeah.”

I hope Anet does a much better job with living world season 2 on regard to this. Quality permanent content that appeals to old and new players alike, and serious improvements to the current game’s flaws, so that we players can actually convince others to buy this game someday.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Mars.6319

Mars.6319

Most MMO players have no idea what GW2 is about

I have to disagree. I tried to sell GW2 to my friends and guild members whom I had played other games with. The problem was never that they didn’t know what GW2 is about. The problem was always that they did not like what GW2 was about.

First there were the people who did not like the action based combat. This was a deal breaker for these people.

Then there were people who did not like the lack of defined roles. Many people I know like playing tanks, healers and support roles and were put off by GW2’s singular focus on DPS.

Then there’s progression. No more levels and no more tiers of gear mean nothing to work toward. That might be fine if there were something else to take its place, but there isn’t. There’s no compelling way to invest your time in GW2 and so nobody that I know feels invested in it. GW2 is just something to do until you’re done with it. The lack of investment makes GW2 feel less like a game world than a collection of activities.

Then there’s the game world itself. There are hundreds of interesting events that can be chained together to impact the local game world… and instant travel that makes them all entirely irrelevant. Need to get somewhere but the bridge is out? Bad guys blocking your way? Just open your map and click a waypoint that’s on the other side. It doesn’t take long for the magic to wear off once you realize all of those dynamic events have no impact on your game play outside of clearing map objectives.

And then there’s the world wide zergs and instances. There are many 5 man dungeons but no 10, 15, 20 or 40 man dungeons. Large groups of players are left to zerg open world content which is not satisfying to people who are looking for a more traditional raid experience where strategy, coordination and player skill execution mean the difference between success and failure. And no, not even GW2’s hard world bosses can reproduce the raid experience that is missing from GW2.

I’ve found GW2 to be incredibly tough to sell and unable to retain the few people that I’ve sold it to, and I’d have to say that it’s not because people don’t know what GW2 is about.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Hopeless.5403

Hopeless.5403

Dude, I enjoy gaming and can say that I have no flipping clue what pax is.

If gw2 wanted to increase sales all they need to do is throw this bad boy on STEAM.

Marketing GW2

PeskyJNixon.8236

1. No expansions means no visible game progression or evolution for average MMO player.

2. The game is infamous because of said “fail” – Fail to what, destroy WoW? This is just a wrong assumption and opinion and should be taken care of by PR manager.

I’m not sure we agree on everything, but we certainly agree with this.

Marketing GW2

PeskyJNixon.8236

Dude, I enjoy gaming and can say that I have no flipping clue what pax is.

All good – PAX East is just the example I use as it is what I have experienced. For context is is the largest for gamers convention on the east coast at about 100,000 attendees. It generally has representations from most major game companies (e.g. Bioware has been at every one of them, Blizzard has been at the last two). My overarching point isn’t just that ArenaNET wasn’t there this year, its that they’ve never really been there and if you use this very diverse group as a litmus test of gamer’s perceptions, their perceptions is that GW2 doesn’t exist.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

If this game was owned by Blizzard, it would have sold almost double! I am not bashing Anet, no, I really appreciate all their efforts and no, I am not saying either that Blizzard is a better company, that is subjective…however, 1 of Blizzard-quality cinematic trailers would have sold this game for many.

Many people really don’t think about a very important fact, Diablo 3 never became the fastest selling game in history for quality, it did it because of its title and Blizzard’s marketing campaign.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

If this game was owned by Blizzard, it would have sold almost double! I am not bashing Anet, no, I really appreciate all their efforts and no, I am not saying either that Blizzard is a better company, that is subjective…however, 1 of Blizzard-quality cinematic trailers would have sold this game for many.

Many people really don’t think about a very important fact, Diablo 3 never became the fastest selling game in history for quality, it did it because of its title and Blizzard’s marketing campaign.

So what you’re saying is that GW2 needs to partner up with Square Enix for a Japanese release…

hmm…

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

Marketing GW2

Posted by: BeardRex.6739

BeardRex.6739

So. Much. This.

This happens all the time when I talk about GW2. No one knows it even still has a population. I was talking to others at PAX, and you are on the mark with the response you get. “Didn’t GW2 fail?”

For a game that’s so easy to pick-up and play (and not worry about how much you play) it seems like they should be marketing it to everyone they can.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I should imagine all there marketing/advertising is directed at China/Asia currently, with GW releasing there soon.

Not much point in pushing GW2 in EU/NA until something really big, like a new expansion on the way.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Anet dose word of month type of marketing. If you think about it PAX only is a small pop. of gamers your better to spend your time making videos and trailers for ppl to watch your game then just going to PAX and talking about it.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Marketing GW2

PeskyJNixon.8236

Anet dose(does) word of month(mouth) type of marketing. If you think about it (I have)PAX only is a small pop. of gamers (not really) your(you are) better to spend your time making videos and trailers for ppl to watch your game then just going to PAX and talking about it (debate-able).

PAX is 100,000 people and the largest convention on the east coast. I’m not sure I’d qualify that as “small pop.” They are also people who are hungry for content and happy to talk about good things. Impress 1,000 of 100,000 people and have them talk about it and you just bought yourself 1,000 social media advocates. That’s HUGE!

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Xia.3485

Xia.3485

PAX is 100,000 people and the largest convention on the east coast. I’m not sure I’d qualify that as “small pop.”

Don’t forget about all the youtube streams and content made from the convention. I’ve never been to PAX but I sure do follow it online. PAX reaches far more than just 100k people.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Kahrgan.7401

Kahrgan.7401

Well OP, that’s what happens when you get people that have college degrees, but don’t know anything. A slip of paper doesn’t equate to a good employee.

Don’t call anyone out on their BS, that’s an infraction and a deleted post. —Anet.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Anet dose(does) word of month(mouth) type of marketing. If you think about it (I have)PAX only is a small pop. of gamers (not really) your(you are) better to spend your time making videos and trailers for ppl to watch your game then just going to PAX and talking about it (debate-able).

PAX is 100,000 people and the largest convention on the east coast. I’m not sure I’d qualify that as “small pop.” They are also people who are hungry for content and happy to talk about good things. Impress 1,000 of 100,000 people and have them talk about it and you just bought yourself 1,000 social media advocates. That’s HUGE!

That still a very small % of the gaming pop. even with steams added on there your not getting that much more then the ppl who already know about PAX as if your doable dipping ppl to the same ads.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Seraph.6853

Seraph.6853

All good points but I actually disagree.

A repeat customer is incredibly valuable as new customers are incredibly expensive to introduce into the system. You have to imagine the costs of getting a booth and large setup… and for what? To advertise an “old” game? In the hopes of maybe converting, oh let’s say 1% of all those 100k people in Boston?

That seems like a losing proposition. Of that 1% who will buy or otherwise re-log into their account, how many will actually become repeat customers? 1% of the 1%? I am just picking some low numbers here but my point is: A booth or place at PAX could be a money-loser for them.

Instead they’re focusing heavily on social ads (I’ve seen plenty) and internet ads. There is also a large push for their China release (that will rock the world over there!) As a business owner (I am one) you have to constantly weigh: what has the highest ROI? What has the highest risk? What’s my conversion rate?

Honestly, and this is pure conjecture, I feel ArenaNet (or NCSoft) has instead allocated their money into the game itself: new content. They are probably making enough money after a couple of years of doing this by making new content than they would with a large booth or any marketing push. Why? Us. The repeat customers who pay for things.

:dA:
http://theoryanimation.com
Guardian, Commander Serafael [REV], Henge of Denravi

Marketing GW2

Posted by: LoreChief.8391

LoreChief.8391

OP has very good and valid points. If there is one thing that ANet has done very well as far as I’m concerned, over the last 3 years – it’s that they always have something up their sleeve. Why are we getting this big QoL/Feature update anyways? I ask myself.

As an IT with almost a decade in project management experience, I have to say that what I see this patch as is an “infrastructure upgrade”. ‘Best Practice’ is ALWAYS to make sure your infrastructure is up to date and can handle increased traffic before you roll-out ‘The new stuff’. Feature patch is just a stepping stone. There is an expansion around the corner, just biding its time for an official announcement.

When that announcement finally comes, I’m sure the hype-train, word-of-mouth from users, and the inevitible “let’s take it to market” approach will finally re-kick in for ANet.

TLDR: Don’t think of their low marketing as a sign of failure, think of it as the calm before the storm.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

Live events like PAX, E3, etc. are prohibitively expensive. Everyone there is either an industry professional or a hardcore gamer, who is likely already well aware of GW2. They have limited time to see everything, and all the news outlets are assigned to cover the new, hot things on the horizon that are making front-page headlines. And though it might seem like there’s a big crowd there, they are really peanuts compared to the rest of the population, and really aren’t the people who need to be marketed to. There’s a reason Nintendo is starting to phase out appearing at some of these events.

I mean, you even said in your anecdote, that the people at these events think GW2 is “dead.” Why bother trying to impress them, when they won’t even bother visiting a GW2 booth anyway?

On the other hand, the people saying GW2 doesn’t need to attract new players at this point, or that they should rely on “word of mouth” are completely out of it. What MMO company do you think says “Yeah, 1.5 years, we had a good run. Pack it up, guys, nobody else is coming.” Do you think World of Warcraft was so successful because they simply coasted on whoever was already subscribing during the first year or two? Get real. New players come in all the time, even today. Why else do you think the base game/expansions are repeated discounted/bundled, and fast-track level boosts for new characters are being promoted? (Hint: they are not for old-timers who have 5 max-level alts)

Should ArenaNet be doing more to market GW2? Maybe, but they are doing things. There are internet ads going around all the time, and stories in the gaming press. I think they know what they are doing for the most part, and have their plans well in order.

(edited by Fyrebrand.4859)

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Dystopiq.5218

Dystopiq.5218

OP has very good and valid points. If there is one thing that ANet has done very well as far as I’m concerned, over the last 3 years – it’s that they always have something up their sleeve. Why are we getting this big QoL/Feature update anyways? I ask myself.

As an IT with almost a decade in project management experience, I have to say that what I see this patch as is an “infrastructure upgrade”. ‘Best Practice’ is ALWAYS to make sure your infrastructure is up to date and can handle increased traffic before you roll-out ‘The new stuff’. Feature patch is just a stepping stone. There is an expansion around the corner, just biding its time for an official announcement.

When that announcement finally comes, I’m sure the hype-train, word-of-mouth from users, and the inevitible “let’s take it to market” approach will finally re-kick in for ANet.

TLDR: Don’t think of their low marketing as a sign of failure, think of it as the calm before the storm.

Are you implying that this is a thinly veiled infrastructure update to make way for new players due to a yet unannounced content update? ;-)

Marketing GW2

Posted by: EFWinters.5421

EFWinters.5421

I disagree with you OP. The people who visit PAX east are not the type of players that ArenaNet is designing their game for. Go to any gaming convention / festival / LAN and you will see the same thing. I went to DHW13 and saw maybe 1-2 others play GW2, simply because it doesn’t cater to hardcore / competitive gamers. That being said GW2 is hugely successful and lucrative among other types of gamers, and will probably continue to be so.

TL;DR

Casual gamers (Not PAX) |—(-)—————(-)——-| Hardcore gamers (PAX) ……………………………………..^……………….^
…………………………………….GW2………Every other MMO.

Human Guardian
Fort Aspenwood

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

Anet seems to be doing quite well with GW2 as is, and I think the below does not include actual box sales either. Seems like they know what they are doing and that their business practices are working out for them so I see no reason to be concerned.

Attachments:

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

This thread highlights the problem very well and I hope the developers catch an eye on this.

This thread started out as a marketing problem. We are now seeing in several posts that is not the only problem. Better tutorial, engaging storytelling, increased open world PvE difficulty: to create experiences, not drive-by’s.

That’s what Guild Wars 2 NEEDS, but more importantly, that’s what Guild Wars 2 deserves.

(edited by Quickfoot Katana.8642)

Marketing GW2

PeskyJNixon.8236

I disagree with you OP. The people who visit PAX east are not the type of players that ArenaNet is designing their game for.

Your argument is there is no sense in marketing to 100,000 people? And you are assuming none of them would at all be interested in GW2? That isn’t the PAX I know and love, hell I’ve sold at least 30 copies of the game there just by telling people about it. Its a solid MMO that has actually made it past a year and a half financially healthy – I would argue its exactly what a number of people are looking for. I didn’t receive any negative comments in the conversations I had, it was rather just as assumption because they have heard nothing about the game.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: Trip.5461

Trip.5461

Well, the game is almost 2 years old, so they probably won’t market it as much as they did back when it was new. It is what it is at this point, and most of the income will come from their existing fanbase. Most everyone probably already knows what GW2 offers.

From what was written it sounds like many people think the game has failed.

Marketing GW2

Posted by: krazykid.2157

krazykid.2157

There really hasn’t been anything to advertise other than the original game. We haven’t been given any new permanent content other than some FotM levels. If lets say ANET comes out with an expansion for the game then sure they can advertise more and get the word out for the new content, however all we’ve had is living world updates with temporary content than only lasts about a month max. For example the Molten Facility that came with Flame and Frost when the dredge and flame legion teamed up to create an alliance. Well after the patch hit you had about a month to go through that dungeon then it was gone. It was brought back, slightly tweaked and was turned into a Fractals of the Mists level and a boss fight months later. If there would have been any advertisement for something like that I personally wouldn’t put money into it because I would have to level a character to cap and gear it out. By time I hit cap odds are the content would already be gone. So to sum up my point, only way I would really new advertisements being put up is if PERMANENT exciting and game changing content is released to get previous and new players in and excited about the game.

Marketing GW2

PeskyJNixon.8236

There really hasn’t been anything to advertise other than the original game.

Buddy, Living Story is EXACTLY what you advertise. It makes the game rather unique. By the way, Fractals are a new thing from launch. Server vs. Server WvW is something that could be sold, substantial updates to the sPvP systems could be sold. Unique one time rewards could be sold. What you see as a problem many see as a feature.