Marriage

Marriage

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

That’s pretty cool. What are paragons?

I think he/she/it is referring to this: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hearts_of_the_North

Keiran Thackeray (ancestor of Logan) was a ranger, but after marrying Gwen (also ancestor of Logan of course), he became available as a Hero which was a paragon ^^

Thanks, I’ll check this out.

A marriage system wouldn’t make sense for GW2.

GW2 is an action-combat MMO with very little RP gameplay.

If it was heavily an RPG, then i can understand something like this happening. As it is now though, the focus is on a combat-oriented gameplay, as most MMORPGs are.

MMORPGs with ‘marriage’ system in them:
- Ragnarok Online
- Dragon Saga
- Lineage 2
- Silkroad
- Eden Eternal
- Conquer Online
- Perfect World
- Flyff
- Runes of Magic
- Maple Story
- Jade Dynasty

You are right, most MMORPGs no one ever heard about probably don’t have this feature.
Also, I believe that there are plenty of people in the game who actually enjoy roleplaying.

(edited by Yoroiookami.3485)

Marriage

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Dude, this is the game that renamed Superior Rune Of The Pirate to Superior Rune Of The Privateer because Pirate seemed inappropriate. It’s a very youth-friendly game, don’t get your hopes up for marriage being added. Also, try not to be such a jacka?? when people disagree with your suggestions. Just because they’re rude doesn’t mean you have to be too.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Marriage

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Why do people want “marriage” to have in-game benefits?

I think the same reason why they want marriage at all: recognition. Being lvl 80 is better than being upscaled. Having 10k AP is better than having 1k AP. Being married in the game is better than being single in the game (even if you’re single IRL).

But without any benefits, if it’s only an icon in the hero’s panel with a name no one else can see, marriage will have little point. Marriage should have in-game benefits so that the married status gives you more recognition.

So now players want in-game mechanical benefits, titles and a “cutscene” that shows the ceremony? That’s how they want to be recognized as married?

Back in the old days of MMORPGs we used to have marriages way more often. Gathering 100+ players at the same place to watch the marriage and say their wishes to the happy couple was all the recognition we ever wanted. Often times I had to contact a GM to arrange the space (delete NPCs at the temple) and to make server-wide announcements so the server community could attend the ceremony (including members from enemy guilds :X) those were fun times

Marriage was an excellent way to gather the community together for a big event, not a way to double click an in-game to get a title and some random benefits. I guess players these days want a material reward out of everything

Marriage

maddoctor.2738

Also, I believe that there are plenty of people in the game who actually enjoy roleplaying.

Roleplayers can get married without the game giving them titles and in-game benefits for it…. just saying

Marriage

Yoroiookami.3485

Dude, this is the game that renamed Superior Rune Of The Pirate to Superior Rune Of The Privateer because Pirate seemed inappropriate. It’s a very youth-friendly game, don’t get your hopes up for marriage being added. Also, try not to be such a jacka?? when people disagree with your suggestions. Just because they’re rude doesn’t mean you have to be too.

I don’t know what do you mean. I’m only trying to explain how this works as most of people here don’t even seem to bother reading my post. if that’s rude then I’m okay with it.
How is marriage something that would ruin this “youth-friendly” game? There are already couples in the story, I don’t see people freaking out over it. Same goes for in-game couples. I don’t see how some benefits and titles are going to turn this upside down.

I think the same reason why they want marriage at all: recognition. Being lvl 80 is better than being upscaled. Having 10k AP is better than having 1k AP. Being married in the game is better than being single in the game (even if you’re single IRL).

But without any benefits, if it’s only an icon in the hero’s panel with a name no one else can see, marriage will have little point. Marriage should have in-game benefits so that the married status gives you more recognition.

So now players want in-game mechanical benefits, titles and a “cutscene” that shows the ceremony? That’s how they want to be recognized as married?

Back in the old days of MMORPGs we used to have marriages way more often. Gathering 100+ players at the same place to watch the marriage and say their wishes to the happy couple was all the recognition we ever wanted. Often times I had to contact a GM to arrange the space (delete NPCs at the temple) and to make server-wide announcements so the server community could attend the ceremony (including members from enemy guilds :X) those were fun times

Marriage was an excellent way to gather the community together for a big event, not a way to double click an in-game to get a title and some random benefits. I guess players these days want a material reward out of everything

That sounds nice. As for the material rewards, isn’t it normal for both partners to get stuff like rings, wedding outfits etc.? Do you really find it to be that terrible and materialistic?

Marriage

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

According to lore, male rangers must become paragons after marriage.
Therefore, marriage will never be in-game as there are no more paragons in Tyria.

Only if I get to write up a pre-digi-nuptial agreement that will entitle me to a monthly lump sum of my partner’s earnings post-divorce. Oh, and joint custody with limited supervised visitation of my partner’s Legendary. If you’re going to add marriage, add it with warts and all. All you kids seem to want is realism. Well, welcome to the real world.

Realism? No, I just wanted to introduce a fun mechanic that is in other MMORPGs.

So with shared crafting mats what happens when partner X gathered the materials but partner Y crafted the item in the case of a, “divorce?”

I am all for including marriage in game but am opposed to in game benefits associated with it. A title, sure. A new ascended ring called a wedding band available for laurels or in the gem-store, sure. A craftable (or gemstore purchased) wedding/formal wear outfit, sure.

All of the game mechanical benefits….absolutely opposed.

The same thing that happens when you’re in a guild with someone you can’t trust? I understand some of you guys’s arguments, but these just don’t make sense. It’s already in-game, I just want to make account bound items shareable between two players in a special bank tab. Unless you put something there knowing the consequences, your stuff is safe.

One word as to why it’s best to avoid this altogether: Drama.

Let’s avoid that as much as possible.

So far all the drama I see is in this topic. People seem to be really negative about something that is already in the game. Without stuff like ceremonies and rings. Which makes no sense, I might add…

Why do people have need to implement these…..these…..nonsense in this game? There is about 1500 things to fix, and your great idea is: lul lezs hav weddings and free bank slots? And what, if you divorce wife gets half of your stuff???? Then we will need 2 more classes: a priest ( to marry ofc ) and lawyer (i’m allready seeing the elites on that one) and a judge can be npc.

Funalicius.

Edit: what if a person you marry is a dude in real life but plays female, does he still get half of the stuff?

Another “let’s only focus on the most important things, don’t you dare have other ideas” argument. Brilliant. You have opened my eyes.

“Already in game ?”

No, sharing account bound items across multiple accounts is not already in the game. Nor are any of the other game mechanical benefits you are seeking. The majority of what you are looking for in the opening post is not currently in game. You are not just asking for a ceremony and a pair of rings. I commented in support of that approach to in game marriage in the post you quoted. You are seeking in game mechanical advantages over other players. If the relationship itself, or your partner, were what mattered then you wouldn’t need in game mechanical advantages over non-married individuals.

Marriage

Yoroiookami.3485

According to lore, male rangers must become paragons after marriage.
Therefore, marriage will never be in-game as there are no more paragons in Tyria.

Only if I get to write up a pre-digi-nuptial agreement that will entitle me to a monthly lump sum of my partner’s earnings post-divorce. Oh, and joint custody with limited supervised visitation of my partner’s Legendary. If you’re going to add marriage, add it with warts and all. All you kids seem to want is realism. Well, welcome to the real world.

Realism? No, I just wanted to introduce a fun mechanic that is in other MMORPGs.

So with shared crafting mats what happens when partner X gathered the materials but partner Y crafted the item in the case of a, “divorce?”

I am all for including marriage in game but am opposed to in game benefits associated with it. A title, sure. A new ascended ring called a wedding band available for laurels or in the gem-store, sure. A craftable (or gemstore purchased) wedding/formal wear outfit, sure.

All of the game mechanical benefits….absolutely opposed.

The same thing that happens when you’re in a guild with someone you can’t trust? I understand some of you guys’s arguments, but these just don’t make sense. It’s already in-game, I just want to make account bound items shareable between two players in a special bank tab. Unless you put something there knowing the consequences, your stuff is safe.

One word as to why it’s best to avoid this altogether: Drama.

Let’s avoid that as much as possible.

So far all the drama I see is in this topic. People seem to be really negative about something that is already in the game. Without stuff like ceremonies and rings. Which makes no sense, I might add…

Why do people have need to implement these…..these…..nonsense in this game? There is about 1500 things to fix, and your great idea is: lul lezs hav weddings and free bank slots? And what, if you divorce wife gets half of your stuff???? Then we will need 2 more classes: a priest ( to marry ofc ) and lawyer (i’m allready seeing the elites on that one) and a judge can be npc.

Funalicius.

Edit: what if a person you marry is a dude in real life but plays female, does he still get half of the stuff?

Another “let’s only focus on the most important things, don’t you dare have other ideas” argument. Brilliant. You have opened my eyes.

“Already in game ?”

No, sharing account bound items across multiple accounts is not already in the game. Nor are any of the other game mechanical benefits you are seeking. The majority of what you are looking for in the opening post is not currently in game. You are not just asking for a ceremony and a pair of rings. I commented in support of that approach to in game marriage in the post you quoted. You are seeking in game mechanical advantages over other players. If the relationship itself, or your partner, were what mattered then you wouldn’t need in game mechanical advantages over non-married individuals.

Couples are already in game. Real life couples play the game. Couples are the people in the game. Game is filled with human couples. Couples are IN the game. Do you understand? That’s what i meant. That was my response to people who say that a system like that would ruin the game because it’s not “children friendly”.
As for the benefits – they would be nice, but I only actually care about sharing the account bound items. I thought that the idea of sharing the things you don’t really need with someone you like and who needs them is a nice idea. Looking at the majority of comments, it won’t work.

Why?
- because there are more important things to implement
- because children are apparently deadly afraid of in-game couples
- because marriages are offensive(?) to some people
- because this doesn’t fit in an mmorpg, even if it fits in the dozen other mmorpgs
- because you say so

Yes, it is a bit unfair to the players who are single. Then again, I don’t find those benefits to be this huge.

Marriage

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

GW2 is an action-combat MMO with very little RP gameplay.

If it was heavily an RPG, then i can understand something like this happening. As it is now though, the focus is on a combat-oriented gameplay, as most MMORPGs are.

MMORPGs with ‘marriage’ system in them:
- Ragnarok Online
- Dragon Saga
- Lineage 2
- Silkroad
- Eden Eternal
- Conquer Online
- Perfect World
- Flyff
- Runes of Magic
- Maple Story
- Jade Dynasty

You are right, most MMORPGs no one ever heard about probably don’t have this feature.

Do those MMORPGs have tools for Roleplayers though? I’ve actually tried some of those, and no, they do not. Are there custom character sheets to write biographies? What about animations that are not your typical emotes found in MMOs? Are there family/house lineages? What about outfits and roles that can be switched on the fly? I don’t even roleplay, but i know people who do, and i see what they write all the time, and what they wish they had in MMORPGs.

Most MMORPGs fail to deliver it, but that’s because RP’ers are very tiny minority, and games need to make money to stay afloat. It wouldn’t make sense for GW2 to add this feature when it has a very light emphasis on RP, such as some of those in that list. It would actually be as worthless as mini activities in GW2. If they did add it, there should be some thought put into a marriage feature, but as i said, it wouldn’t make sense for GW2 to do this, because that’s not it’s focus with it’s stories. Ironically, GW2’s living story is focused on relationships, but it’s being told by the writers, and not anything custom by the players. The players use the interactive mechanics with a combat-focused gameplay to experience it.

(edited by nexxe.7081)

Marriage

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

marriage in gw2?

no.

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

Marriage

maddoctor.2738

I don’t know what do you mean. I’m only trying to explain how this works as most of people here don’t even seem to bother reading my post. if that’s rude then I’m okay with it.
How is marriage something that would ruin this “youth-friendly” game? There are already couples in the story, I don’t see people freaking out over it. Same goes for in-game couples. I don’t see how some benefits and titles are going to turn this upside down.

That sounds nice. As for the material rewards, isn’t it normal for both partners to get stuff like rings, wedding outfits etc.? Do you really find it to be that terrible and materialistic?

Not getting them for free. A wedding dress / wedding ring is an excellent opportunity to add something new to craft/get in the game. Something that players would have to acquire, for example in a game like Skyrim you have to get an amulet to get married.

What I’m saying is that marriage shouldn’t be just an on/off switch to get extra in-game mechanical rewards. It’s an amazing opportunity for a big community event, for a guild/community to get together and of course role playing. It’s also an excellent opportunity to add new things to craft, or find. I don’t want them to put all those things just on the gem store it would just be a waste imo.

Otherwise, after the release of this feature, everyone will just be married, title will offer no meaning or recognition since everyone will have it. Adding extra mechanical benefits makes it power creep, I can already see the LFG message: “LFG only married people!” :P

Marriage

Yoroiookami.3485

Do those MMORPGs have tools for Roleplayers though? I’ve actually tried some of those, and no, they do not. Are there custom character sheets to write biographies? What about animations that are not your typical emotes found in MMOs? Are there family/house lineages? What about outfits and roles that can be switched on the fly? I don’t even roleplay, but i know people who do, and i see what they write all the time, and what they wish they had in MMORPGs.

Most MMORPGs fail to deliver it, but that’s because RP’ers are very tiny minority, and games need to make money to stay afloat. It wouldn’t make sense for GW2 to add this feature when it has a very light emphasis on RP, such as some of those in that list. It would actually be as worthless as mini activities in GW2. If they did add it, there should be some thought put into a marriage feature, but as i said, it wouldn’t make sense for GW2 to do this, because that’s not it’s focus with it’s stories. Ironically, GW2’s living story is focused on relationships, but it’s being told by the writers, and not anything custom by the players. The players use the interactive mechanics with a combat-focused gameplay to experience it.

That’s the best argument I’ve seen in this topic. Thank you.
(Even if I do enjoy those “worthless mini activities” you’ve mentioned)

(edited by Yoroiookami.3485)

Marriage

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

Maybe we should also have a “hot coffee” style minigame.

And ofc allow interracial and homosexual marriages, because you know, 2014.

Marriage

Yoroiookami.3485

Not getting them for free. A wedding dress / wedding ring is an excellent opportunity to add something new to craft/get in the game. Something that players would have to acquire, for example in a game like Skyrim you have to get an amulet to get married.

What I’m saying is that marriage shouldn’t be just an on/off switch to get extra in-game mechanical rewards. It’s an amazing opportunity for a big community event, for a guild/community to get together and of course role playing. It’s also an excellent opportunity to add new things to craft, or find. I don’t want them to put all those things just on the gem store it would just be a waste imo.

Otherwise, after the release of this feature, everyone will just be married, title will offer no meaning or recognition since everyone will have it. Adding extra mechanical benefits makes it power creep, I can already see the LFG message: “LFG only married people!” :P

Do us both a favour and actually read my first post. Read it.

I’m perfectly okay with that. Don’t know what your problem is.

Marriage

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

I’m perfectly okay with that. Don’t know what your problem is.

Where did I state I had a problem? I was making a suggestion.

Marriage

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

This tread omg…. XD.We dont even have yet guild vs guild or guild halls and they ask for features like this XD.This tread made me laugh lol

Marriage

Ashen.2907

The paragraph where you mention, “it,” already being in game focused exclusively on game mechanics. My apologies for not realizing that you meant real world couples when you spoke of game mechanics.

As to the real world couples aspect…

I know. I play with my wife. We met in GW1. We had an in game ceremony for our guild and alliance. We exchanged quest tokens <silver ring> And oaths In our guild hall with guildies and alliance members present. We then hosted a variety of party games with prizes for attendees.

We didn’t need Anet to sanction or reward us for our commitment to each other.

This is not about fear of marriage or anything of the sort. Its about not providing game mechanical benefits for taking a partner. Unless those same benefits are made available without the romantic prerequisite they are not appropriate.

Again, as a reminder, I support the idea of in game marriage, but only so long as it does not affect game mechanics.

Marriage

Posted by: phoenix.3465

phoenix.3465

I would totally love a marriage kinda thing in game! But without all the gameplay advantages, that’s not needed at all. Also not restricted to rl-couples. Just for fun.

Marriage

Yoroiookami.3485

The paragraph where you mention, “it,” already being in game focused exclusively on game mechanics. My apologies for not realizing that you meant real world couples when you spoke of game mechanics.

I know. I play with my wife. We met in GW1. We had an in game ceremony for our guild and alliance. We exchanged quest tokens <silver ring> And oaths In our guild hall with guildies and alliance members present. We then hosted a variety of party games with prizes for attendees.

This is not about fear of marriage or anything of the sort. Its about not providing game mechanical benefits for taking a partner. Unless those same benefits are made available without the romantic prerequisite they are not appropriate.

Again, as a reminder, I support the idea of in game marriage, but only so long as it does not affect game mechanics.

Yes, you don’t really need anything to roleplay. I just think dresses, rings and stuff like that would be nice to have. If you don’t think that benefits to people who are (essentially) in groups are fair, then why do guilds even exist? Guilds give plenty of much larger benefits, allow you to share with a bigger group and yet everyone is perfectly okay with it. I’m proposing a small in-game sharing system between a hubby and wife. I don’t see how is that so unfair. It gives you a reason to marry is what it does and I don’t even view it as something negative.

Marriage

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Not everything people suggest SHOULD be added to the game. There ain’t such a thing to a GAME. It’s more a matter of a huge group of people finding it cool and therefore willing to even invest somehow in GemStore to support their love for such a feature.

I played Allods Online and it worked very nicely there. Players could see their partners names in pink color, and two rings icon on the side of their names. They indeed had partner buffs and some upgrade-able off-combat skills, people really enjoyed that mind you.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Marriage

maddoctor.2738

I did read your first post, I was responding to:

Still the thing with marriage still stands, it shouldn’t be just an on/off switch to get extra in-game benefits. And after a while everyone will get it, to get the bonuses no matter what they are.

Marriage

Ashen.2907

Yes, you don’t really need anything to roleplay. I just think dresses, rings and stuff like that would be nice to have. If you don’t think that benefits to people who are (essentially) in groups are fair, then why do guilds even exist? Guilds give plenty of much larger benefits, allow you to share with a bigger group and yet everyone is perfectly okay with it. I’m proposing a small in-game sharing system between a hubby and wife. I don’t see how is that so unfair. It gives you a reason to marry is what it does and I don’t even view it as something negative.

Guilds have no ability to bypass item restrictions such as account bound.

If you need a game mechanical reason for the marriage then you shouldnt be getting married.

As mentioned previously I fully support the idea of wedding formal wear, titles, new ascended “wedding rings,” and so on.

There is nothing to prevent a married couple from having their own two person guild with a guild bank to share between them.

Marriage

Valento.9852

On the other hand, if this system ever gets implemented in the game, it shouldn’t take too much space in the servers (I’m looking at shared banks or whatever “storage” benefits). GW2 has a so awesome foundation, there could be achievements, titles, temporary potions (like Harpy’s Pheromones) for the funs, somehow like musical instruments, and such, but more involved.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Marriage

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

While I have nothing against marriage in general, I don’t particularly want to see it implemented in game. No, I’m not against it because “that other game” has it (although that’s equally not a good reason to want it either). Yes, I’m aware other games have implemented it and it sin’t necessarily any issue. However, GW2 has enough drama queens as it stands. I’d prefer if we didn’t add fuel to that particular fire.

Just my 2c

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Marriage

Posted by: Xander.9024

Xander.9024

I was watching Futurama and it reminded me of this thread.

Attachments:

Marriage

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

As for the benefits – they would be nice, but I only actually care about sharing the account bound items.

Unfortunately, that’s the one issue that’s unworkable because it opens up more possibilities for scams and account hacking. Once you gain access to someone’s ascended crafting materials it’s not particularly hard to launder them. This also means account-bound materials could be sold through such a system, but without the security of the BLTC – and that will lead to a proliferation of scamming. It simply is not worth ANet’s support time to deal with the problems that implementing this will create.

Marriage

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Just another case of “I want getting stuff to be easier”.

Marriage

SpellOfIniquity.1780

OP is a complete jacka??. If you can’t handle criticism don’t make a public suggestion. Otherwise you’re left looking insecure and like an arrogant jerk. Which, after reading through many of your thick headed responses, is exactly how things have concluded.

Marriage

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

What the actual kitten?

What’s next? Getting a baby, divorced?

It’s a game guys. If you want to marry, do it IRL with someone you love, not obese guy playing half-naked character.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Marriage

Yoroiookami.3485

While I have nothing against marriage in general, I don’t particularly want to see it implemented in game. No, I’m not against it because “that other game” has it (although that’s equally not a good reason to want it either). Yes, I’m aware other games have implemented it and it sin’t necessarily any issue. However, GW2 has enough drama queens as it stands. I’d prefer if we didn’t add fuel to that particular fire.

Just my 2c

That’s understandable.

As for the benefits – they would be nice, but I only actually care about sharing the account bound items.

Unfortunately, that’s the one issue that’s unworkable because it opens up more possibilities for scams and account hacking. Once you gain access to someone’s ascended crafting materials it’s not particularly hard to launder them. This also means account-bound materials could be sold through such a system, but without the security of the BLTC – and that will lead to a proliferation of scamming. It simply is not worth ANet’s support time to deal with the problems that implementing this will create.

You have a point. I still wanted to share my idea, because I thought it would be fun.

I’m not sure where did you get this idea. It’s a bit random. Do you just copy and paste that to every topic on the forums?

OP is a complete jacka??. If you can’t handle criticism don’t make a public suggestion. Otherwise you’re left looking insecure and like an arrogant jerk. Which, after reading through many of your thick headed responses, is exactly how things have concluded.

Thank you. I’m okay with criticism, but I do have a right to respond to it. Especially if it’s nothing constructive. It’s a bit funny, because you seem like the kind of person who can’t take criticism. You call me this and that just because I disagree with you. Nice.

What the actual kitten?

It’s a game guys. If you want to marry, do it IRL with someone you love, not obese guy playing half-naked character.

But obese guys playing half-naked characters need love too!

Oh, well. Seems like people don’t really like my idea, but I think that adding a wedding dress/tux and a ring is still an option. These items would be regular gem store items. Though of course I would prefer if finding this ring in PvE would be an option.

Marriage

Valento.9852

What the actual kitten?

I for one am not obese at all. I’d like this feature because I’ve experienced in other games and found it fun. I’m not demanding anything, I think ANet has put way more content than what I bought for and deserve my respect if they don’t actually add such things, but I’d just like to point out my opinion and how you’re stereotyping people. Shame on you.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Marriage

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

I am pro marriage only if gay marriage is allowed. But NO advantage armor stat benefits to gameplay. I would like to see a wider variety of clothing in this game and wedding attire would rock all.

Also, plz, if this is implemented DO NOT MAKE EXPENSIVE outside of optional wardrobe. I hate games where a marriage license can only be afforded by the rich high levels.

With this game’s coloring system you could really go nuts with bridesmaid’s outfits!

I would however give a stat bonus to all who attended the wedding for like maybe 3hrs. Guild weddings can be a lot of fun in games. I’ve been to a few in Final Fantasy and Mabinogi.

In Mabinogi you can also get adopted by a marriage couple. I’m my niece’s (irl) child (in game) lol.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

(edited by Drow.2081)

Marriage

Posted by: ArtemisJade.9068

ArtemisJade.9068

@OP

I support the idea of in game marriage. I just have a few tweaks to the idea. DISCLAIMER: But just some background on my viewpoint before posting…please understand I am an adult woman in a long time relationship and GW2 is a hobby that my guy and I share. I am not some teeny bopper who would just marry for the “attention and drama.” This is something that I think is really cool and kind of sweet. I don’t really enjoy games like the Sims so please don’t throw that back at me either…… now on to my actual post. END OF DISCLAIMER.

The tweaks I would make to the original poster’s idea would firstly be directed at the account bound item sharing portion of the original post. This seems like it would be difficult to code….however…..a shared bank would be amazing. I can not tell you how many times my bf and I have traded items back and forth between mail to help each other out when we needed and we also have a going bargain that if one of us gets the other’s precursor we will hand it over for free. However, if this were looked into by ANET and they did not know we were a couple they could easily think this was “illegal gold buying,” which has always been a fear of ours that one of our accounts would be banned after mailing each other a high value item or gold. This could easily be fixed by a mutual bank tab. (I believe gathering tools are soulbound, not account bound, or at least mine are. I have not checked if that has changed, however if it hasn’t it becomes a mute argument.)

As for the in game marriage benefit “buffs?”, (aka the magic find and revival speed and such) I believe this is an awesome idea, however something would need to be added for single players to have the same advantages or if not the exact same advantages something on par that would give them the magic find and revival speed of party members for example. *Probably an achievement of some sort.

I love the titles idea. No tweaks to that.

The mail box idea doesn’t really apply to me as I have other forms of communication with my loved one other than an in game mail box….however I can see this would be beneficial but I believe they should just raise the cap on msgs server wide…and unlimited just doesn’t seem possible because it would take too much space. (Not for the individual player, but on a mass basis it would add up I’m sure.)

I don’t think couples should get a gem store discount because I don’t think that’s fair to single players really and would encourage people who aren’t really in relationships to just get married in game for the benefits, which will probably still happen, but still its unfair to those bachelors out there.

*Side note — I would love to see a housing system in GW2 because I think GW2 could do it better than others who have attempted it before. (If anyone has played Archeage you will probably know what I’m talking about.) This would also make more use of the home instance.

No changes to reqs. idea.

As for divorce, I believe as in all friendships and relationships where you have to trust someone both players should be aware that they enter at their own risk. I believe if divorce should occur it should have an npc fee. (Maybe 20 gold? or something to make the average player think twice if it is worth it to divorce.) If divorce occurs the players might have a time limit, say 72 hours, to clear the mutual bank of items before the bank is taken away from both players. The only way this would cause problems is if one player divorced the other while one was out of town, but again, its up to you to decide who you trust and if you decide to share anything in a game you should always do so knowing the possibility that you will not get it back. Its your responsibility as a player to be aware of that, not ANET’s.

*Side note — On same sex marriage, that is a tough question. I personally do not see an issue with but that would be up to ANET and also if it was not implemented, if same sex couples really wanted to marry they could always make a male and female character. Also for interracial I don’t see a problem but players could always make characters of the same race for marriage. These might not be convenient options, but they are options none the less.

All in all I am totally for an in game marriage system and housing system. (I don’t think housing should be limited to married couples, but to parties or possibly a friend/family system.)

Anyways that’s my 2 cents. Thanks for the awesome post Yoro.

To survive this world you must be mad as a hatter. Luckily for me, I am positively insane.

Marriage

Yoroiookami.3485

I am pro marriage only if gay marriage is allowed. But NO advantage armor stat benefits to gameplay. I would like to see a wider variety of clothing in this game and wedding attire would rock all.

Also, plz, if this is implemented DO NOT MAKE EXPENSIVE outside of optional wardrobe. I hate games where a marriage license can only be afforded by the rich high levels.

With this game’s coloring system you could really go nuts with bridesmaid’s outfits!

I would however give a stat bonus to all who attended the wedding for like maybe 3hrs. Guild weddings can be a lot of fun in games. I’ve been to a few in Final Fantasy and Mabinogi.

In Mabinogi you can also get adopted by a marriage couple. I’m my niece’s (irl) child (in game) lol.

I like your idea for a buff for simply attending the wedding. It doesn’t seem unfair nor ‘overpowered’. And while leveling is pretty easy, I agree it should be affordable for lower level characters as well.

@OP

I support the idea of in game marriage. I just have a few tweaks to the idea. DISCLAIMER: But just some background on my viewpoint before posting…please understand I am an adult woman in a long time relationship and GW2 is a hobby that my guy and I share. I am not some teeny bopper who would just marry for the “attention and drama.” This is something that I think is really cool and kind of sweet. I don’t really enjoy games like the Sims so please don’t throw that back at me either…… now on to my actual post. END OF DISCLAIMER.

The tweaks I would make to the original poster’s idea would firstly be directed at the account bound item sharing portion of the original post. This seems like it would be difficult to code….however…..a shared bank would be amazing. I can not tell you how many times my bf and I have traded items back and forth between mail to help each other out when we needed and we also have a going bargain that if one of us gets the other’s precursor we will hand it over for free. However, if this were looked into by ANET and they did not know we were a couple they could easily think this was “illegal gold buying,” which has always been a fear of ours that one of our accounts would be banned after mailing each other a high value item or gold. This could easily be fixed by a mutual bank tab. (I believe gathering tools are soulbound, not account bound, or at least mine are. I have not checked if that has changed, however if it hasn’t it becomes a mute argument.)

…………………………………………………………………….

All in all I am totally for an in game marriage system and housing system. (I don’t think housing should be limited to married couples, but to parties or possibly a friend/family system.)

Anyways that’s my 2 cents. Thanks for the awesome post Yoro.

That’s probably the most valuable post I have in this thread. Not because you agree with me on most things, but because you bothered to give me a nice explanation. I don’t think the “same sex” marriage is an issue at all. There are many male players who play with female characters and vice-versa. No one will even know, so there’s no real problem. At least in my opinion.
Housing is also something I’d love to see in the game. Especially if they would allow us to customize each room etc. Except it doesn’t make much sense lore-wise, I think. We already have one home. Maybe there’s a way to go around that.
And yeah, the discount idea was really bad. I won’t lie.

Marriage

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Haha, I was gonna say okay… until it turns out that all the female characters you play with are actually guys with too much testosteron that don’t bother telling you they’re a guy and some of them even play along acting as girls… I really wish they wouldn’t do that. o-o

So yeah, no thanks. :P

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Marriage

Valento.9852

Too much of a stereotype here. I play mainly females, but don’t act as one. Hopefully there’s nothing such as gender-lock based on your SSN (or whatever your country’s is), eh?

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Marriage

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

Not sure if mentioned in this thread…sorry if it has…

How about marriage to an NPC only? You could “marry” an NPC that has specific talents (a la Skyrim). One type of NPC could provide resources (ore, etc.). Another could be a master chef and provide food (perhaps if you supplied them with the mats?). Another could be an armorsmith or any other crafting specialty – bring them the mats, and they can craft you an item. I don’t know…just spitballing here.

Now, that wouldn’t be too difficult to maintain. Not like two players marrying.

Marriage

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

Not sure if mentioned in this thread…sorry if it has…

How about marriage to an NPC only? You could “marry” an NPC that has specific talents (a la Skyrim). One type of NPC could provide resources (ore, etc.). Another could be a master chef and provide food (perhaps if you supplied them with the mats?). Another could be an armorsmith or any other crafting specialty – bring them the mats, and they can craft you an item. I don’t know…just spitballing here.

Now, that wouldn’t be too difficult to maintain. Not like two players marrying.

Let’s get Guild Halls first.

Marriage

Posted by: Furesy.6935

Furesy.6935

I don’t know what is funnier, the original post or the arguments people come up with against it.

P.S.: Marrying an NPC? Dips on Countess Anise!

Marriage

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Haha, I was gonna say okay… until it turns out that all the female characters you play with are actually guys with too much testosteron that don’t bother telling you they’re a guy and some of them even play along acting as girls… I really wish they wouldn’t do that. o-o

So yeah, no thanks. :P

So, are you one of those people who keeps trying to come onto my female alts?

Seriously, this is a game, not a dating site. I very much doubt that Asura players are Asurans in real life either, or Sylvari players, trees.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Marriage

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

This is a game about combat and war. The dating stuff and anything cutesy could be deleted and it would only improve things.

Marriage

Posted by: Rabbitstew.2756

Rabbitstew.2756

While marriage is an alright idea, I don’t think more than a little merchant that sells some wedding-related items is going to happen. Marriage rituals probably differ substantially depending on your character’s race/culture, so having just a simple wedding ring wouldn’t cut it lore-wise.

Oh and for the mechanical advantages of being married, don’t make me laugh. That’s probably the worst idea I’ve heard in a long time. People would ruin the idea of marriage because it’d be stupid to NOT be married, simply from gaining those benefits. Trading account-bound items? A splendid way to break the game’s trading system for sure.

Marriage

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Just my 2c

That’s understandable.

You have a point. I still wanted to share my idea, because I thought it would be fun.

I’m not sure where did you get this idea. It’s a bit random. Do you just copy and paste that to every topic on the forums?

Thank you. I’m okay with criticism, but I do have a right to respond to it. Especially if it’s nothing constructive. It’s a bit funny, because you seem like the kind of person who can’t take criticism. You call me this and that just because I disagree with you. Nice.

What the actual kitten?

But obese guys playing half-naked characters need love too!

Oh, well. Seems like people don’t really like my idea, but I think that adding a wedding dress/tux and a ring is still an option. These items would be regular gem store items. Though of course I would prefer if finding this ring in PvE would be an option.

Your response makes less sense than your original suggestion. Please show me another thread that I made that response to. I hope you can, because if you can’t you’re going to look silly,.

Marriage

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Why does the OP want this? It seems like s/he wants to share items across accounts, which seems great for multiboxers, terrible for customer support, and not any benefit to others.

RPers can roleplay a relationship without any extra mechanical benefit. I don’t see why development time and effort should be spent on this when there’s so many other things that need work.

ANet could fix the bugged event chains that are keeping people from getting traits under the new (terrible) trait system, or add more stuff to Wintersday, or work on precursor crafting…or they could add a feature that benefits multiboxers and makes CS’ lives harder. No thanks.

Marriage

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Why not? I mean, why not really?
Gwen and Keiran got married in GW

And the end result was Logan. Do we really want more Logans in the game?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Marriage

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

I very much doubt that … Sylvari players are trees.

They’re on to me.

Marriage

SpellOfIniquity.1780

stuff

Just about every one of your responses is you insulting someone or being condescending. I don’t see how that doesn’t make you a jacka??. Sure you have the right to respond, but if it’s not constructive why take the time? Do you like to put people down? Or are you just a fan of creating drama where it’s not needed?

You want constructive? Your idea is bad. There aren’t enough roleplay elements in Guild Wars 2 for it to make sense. It’s centered around action combat and the personal story makes up a very small portion of what Guild Wars 2 is all about. Marriage would not fit the premise of the games design. Yes, it could be implemented, but so could a new race, a new continent, a new profession, new weapons, any number of things could be added but do they make sense to add? Just because there are married couples in the game doesn’t mean we should be able to get married as players. It’s something better suited to a game that’s heavily centered around roleplay such as, say, The Sims, or Second Life. Add a new set of weapons or a unique profession to a game like The Sims and it doesn’t make much sense does it?

Marriage

Yoroiookami.3485

[quote=4591690;DarcShriek.5829:]

Marriage

Posted by: ourplague.7196

ourplague.7196

I am not sure you are here by mistake.

This is the forum from Guild Wars 2.

You may be looking for The Sims 4
I provide you with the right link

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US

You are welcome

LMAO

Marriage

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I’m cool with marriage in the game. I would even be cool with a silly title or note next to your name (“Bound” or “married” or whatever). Any other extras or benefits related to it? Nope.

Marriage

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

I am going to take a similar stance on this idea as I do on the idea of mounts in this game.

I am not against it. If they added it to the game, then cool. A title or something along those lines would be fine as well. Personally I am all for adding more role playing elements to the game…

However, much like I don’t believe any mounts should grant any speed bonus, I don’t think that there should be any statistical bonuses for being married. The idea of a shared bank is an interesting one, but, as others have said, you could just make a family guild and do that as well, sans the sharing of Account/Soul Bound items.

Anyway, that’s my opinion on the idea.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’