Mastery points, ugh [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Well, part of the point of the mastery system is directing people to do all sorts of content to earn the points. The same happens with daily achievements. If everyone could get all dailies just doing 3 fractals many would not bother doing anything else.

That being said, there’s definitely more things that should give mastery points. Like the Aetherpath in Twilight Arbor, and achievements in the Dungeon category, more Explorer achievements.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

I would introduce mastery points for reaching bronze in adventures in addition to silver and gold. There are also so many achievements that grant no mastery points. I would give at least 50-60 (Hot and core Tyria) additional achievements mastery points as reward.

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

most likely you will have to grind content you do not like to get the number of points to max things

What is this grind you are talking about ? Because all you have to do is complete a specific task once, there is no grinding. It is not repeating content over and over to buy a token, or doing everyday the same task to fill a reputation bar.
Grind is a nice buzz word but by using it for everything it is losing its meaning.

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

My biggest issue with mastery points is them being locked behind silver and gold Adventure rewards. If that would be “scaled down” to bronze and silver, you would get enough points to train the vast majority of mastery tracks by “playing the game”, leaving gold rewards for those keen on leader boards.

You don’t need gold, a few silver are enough.

And to be honest gold in some adventures is really easy. For example I had gold in my first try of “Salvage Pit”.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Salvage_Pit

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

That, Drone Race, and Wings of Gold are probably the only easy ones. And some of the non-adventure ones are very hard just for 1 mastery point; possibly even harder than many adventures.

I don’t think the mastery points are bad at least for Maguuma. One problem is availability; a number of points are centered around events and bosses and if you arrive at the wrong time, you won’t be able to do a lot of them. Doing the chain events mastery for example, requires you to pretty much camp for the beginning of each meta, and of course the worst are the VB adventures which are locked behind long metas and then night is usually quick to come anyways and of course you have a 20 minute window to fight night bosses.

I still need 5 more points to max out mastery; so I probably have to do the story achievements which don’t look very easy, or some obscure mastery points, or try to get gold in some of that adventures. Oh great, Chak Gerrent came along; if only I had logged in 20 min earlier because I can’t do any of these adventures anymore.

Tyria Mastery points are another issue. Very boring and pointless.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Of course people will always chime in that there are a whole 4 points more in central tyria than you need.

4 ???

There are 66 Central Tyria mastery points available of which you need 49.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

Are you accounting for the ones you do not get in the personal story for doing multiple races and orders? According to the wiki you get them then a footnote says it is per-chapter.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Of course people will always chime in that there are a whole 4 points more in central tyria than you need.

4 ???

There are 66 Central Tyria mastery points available of which you need 49.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

Are you accounting for the ones you do not get in the personal story for doing multiple races and orders? According to the wiki you get them then a footnote says it is per-chapter.

No, the 66 includes only 8 Personal Story points.

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

I’m not a fan of the central Tyria mastery system either. On HoT you can find mastery points everywhere and that is just an expansion. It becomes a major grind in central Tyria to complete them. Not everyone has the time to play the game. I recently played my engineer thru to kill Zhaitan and that took a lot of time to finish. I also don’t care for jumping puzzles but to complete the dive I had to do the jumping puzzle to finish it. My problem with jumping puzzles is often times they force the character thru with timed threats. Not everyone has the dexterity to play them. I avoid them normally because I find them too stressful and aggravating. I prefer the free form explore aspect to the game as do many others. I would like to see mastery points added for hidden areas of the map where players have to use their brain to figure out how to get to. No pressure, just the player and the map. Make a game out of map breakouts to get unlisted mastery points. I left my character on top of a tent in one map then left them map, the next time I came back into the game it put me inside the tent with no exit. That would be a good spot for a hidden reward.

Posted by: Saudi.5320

Saudi.5320

It’s stupid that you can accidentally get HoT mastery points (gliding through arches, hitting random ley lines somehow, etc.) but in Tyria pretty much none of the mastery points are gimmes (nor should they be). I like the idea of having mastery points added to to Tyria in hard to reach places. PLS ANET.

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

To me the title “Mastery Point” says it all. You have to master something to get a point. Not grind the same content over and over filling a bar. They should be spread all over the game, like they are, so you need to master many things to get the perks of something like auto loot collection. Long time players had the benefit of already having many of these achievements unlocked so new players may think the mountain is a little tall to climb, but they should not have to do less work than the long time players to get the same benefits.

Posted by: Orcinus Orca.8627

Orcinus Orca.8627

I totally agree. This is one of the major flaws of GW2 which leads me to not enjoy it as much as I once had. I loved the philosophy of “play your way” but that seems to be less and less the case the further the game progresses.

Posted by: Moderator

Locking this up as the thread has run its course