Megaservers

Megaservers

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: John Smith.4610

John Smith.4610

Next

I’ve recently seen quite a few posts mentioning megaservers. As per standard business, I can’t say anything about release dates or future content, but I can say that we recognized that megaservers were a problem quite some time ago. At that time my squad joined up with the deific ~Susan and her team to begin work on the system. I wanted to tell you that we know there are problems and we’re fixing them. We’ve released some very minor changes already and there will be several phases of fixes applied over the next few months.

Megaservers

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Good news. Are you able to divulge which particular problems have been identified?

Megaservers

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

I understand this policy, personal opinion of it aside, but what could possibly be so bad in giving any information about this, not like we can do anything about it anyways. The main issue Ive been seeing with megaserver since HoT and especially lately is that it has been working backwards meaning that it gives a prompt that the current instance is closing and lets you go to a new one, but the new instance is less populated sometimes empty and hence there would not have been any progress towards any meta event.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Megaservers

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I’ll take some guesses…

Way way way higher population caps.

Map select with visible population numbers.

You will not lose progress on HoT maps if you switch.

Getting stuff fixed up for megaserver wvw launch.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Megaservers

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

Hope it’s something to address the prevalence of the taxi system players have adopted. It’s making the best of a flawed system but it has some unfortunate drawbacks.

Megaservers

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Thank you John!

These are all I want. I love a low pop map in the evening after work and a high pop one when I play on days off. I want to choose. Please make it so Anet!

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Megaservers

X T D.6458

Thank you John!

These are all I want. I love a low pop map in the evening after work and a high pop one when I play on days off. I want to choose. Please make it so Anet!

Yea I would like to be able to choose, sometimes a low pop map is nice when your trying to find events and don’t want to rush around everywhere just to find its already done.

Megaservers

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

Just go with a District system like in gw1, if the population rises to a certain threshold, new districts will automatically be added that players can choose to go to.

Then once the content is exhausted in that area, the higher districts will start closing starting in descending order.

Megaservers

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This might be a situation where giving too little information is worse than giving too much.

One vague post to say that ‘problems’ with megaservers are being fixed and in less than an hour numerous people are speculating that this means we will get exactly the fix they want to exactly the issues that bother them most.

Give it a day and this thread will be proof that Anet promised to implement the things players are hoping for, and if the fixes that are released are in any way different Anet will be seen to have broken that ‘promise’, if not out-right lied about what they planned to do.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Megaservers

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

Not really megaserver related. but I think for those that disconnect and/or crash, there should be a 60 second grace period where the map remains full except for that one person to come back and join it. After 60 seconds it then opens up for someone else.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Megaservers

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

The problem is, they don’t want to say what they want to change, in case they actually can’t fix it. That doesn’t mean they won’t do anything, but at least until they have a better idea on how to fix things, they won’t have broken promises.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Megaservers

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

i cant wait for the resident economist to integrate map instances with some kind of auction system simulating a free market!! the supply of space in a given map is extremely limited and demand for each space is astronomical in certain cases!!

sarcasm aside… can you elaborate any more john? i want gossip on susan, the patron saint of patches!

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Megaservers

X T D.6458

The problem is, they don’t want to say what they want to change, in case they actually can’t fix it. That doesn’t mean they won’t do anything, but at least until they have a better idea on how to fix things, they won’t have broken promises.

Generally speaking I would like it if they actually acknowledged problems and attempted fixes, a lot of their fixes dont work, we are kind of used to that, but some acknowledgement would be nice. I mean he mentioned fixes not something related to content, so I cant see why they cant give any info.

Megaservers

Posted by: Wander.5780

Wander.5780

Yay! no more having to post almost daily about this abomination and it’s terrible implementation to get the attention of the Devs. That being said, I’m not getting my hopes up too much regarding the “fix.”

Megaservers

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Unless these “fixes” involve spot reservation upon DC then meh.

Megaservers

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

As per standard business, I can’t say anything about release dates or future content

:(

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Megaservers

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

I bet it has something to do with an algorithm somewhere being clunky dealing with player population distribution. Honestly I still want to know why the district system got axed during the transition from GW1 to GW2. Since GW2 is worked around a heavily modified version of GW1 engine.

Megaservers

Posted by: Melanion.4892

Melanion.4892

This is how devs should communicate about works in progress which can’t be discussed in much detal. Succinct, lets us know the general area of things being worked on.

Bravo, John. First time I can say that in a while.

Claude – Pink Fairy Mesmer

Megaservers

Posted by: Tenna Tulre.2076

Tenna Tulre.2076

I would definitely back something similar to the old GW1 districts for the maps. Though that system had its own challenges too, it was definitely something workable for large events.

And on a lighter note… John Smith has paired with Susan for this. Please tell me there is a big blue box involved that is bigger on the inside.

Level 80 Mesmer, Ele, Engi
Co-Guild Leader | The Nefarious Legacies [TNL]
Henge of Denravi

Megaservers

Posted by: seabhac.5346

seabhac.5346

One question… why does the ‘economy’ guy have such interest in how badly the megaservers are functioning?

Megaservers

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

What minor changes have already been made?

This is how devs should communicate about works in progress which can’t be discussed in much detal. Succinct, lets us know the general area of things being worked on.

Hmm IMO the post is far too vague IMO. Why can’t they say whether its to do with full HOT maps closing just for example?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Megaservers

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I thought John Smith was the resident economist?

Is his involvement in this matter an indication of a decision to somehow monetize the megaserver system. Perhaps to create an in game economy around the megaserver?

Megaservers

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Is his involvement in this matter an indication of a decision to somehow monetize the megaserver system. Perhaps to create an in game economy around the megaserver?

But think about how the megaservers affect the meta events in HoT. How are rewards dished out for those affected meta events?

How many of those rewards are saleable on the TP?

Now do you see why the economist is interested in making sure the megaservers work properly?

If the problems the megaservers have are causing the actual influx of materials to be more or less than intended or expected, it would have an impact on the game’s economy.

Megaservers

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Economists have training in — among other things — statistics. I can see statistics being useful in addressing things like population caps, new shard activation and shard closure due to population shift. If he’s doing the programming, though, look out. :O

Megaservers

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

deific ~Susan

I always knew God was a woman.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Megaservers

Posted by: Bronze Knight.9231

Bronze Knight.9231

We’ve released some very minor changes already and there will be several phases of fixes applied over the next few months.

Attachments:

Just let me know when the PVE/PVP skill separation happens.

Can Engi please have more than one viable skill set in PVE? Turrets maybe?

Megaservers

Posted by: seabhac.5346

seabhac.5346

megaserver millions…

Attachments:

Megaservers

Posted by: Adelas.6598

Adelas.6598

Er. Ma. Gerd. the conspiracy theories.

John, thank you for being as transparent as policies will allow. I’m glad to hear “we heard you” even if you can’t really go past that.

Megaservers

Posted by: John Smith.4610

Previous

John Smith.4610

I would definitely back something similar to the old GW1 districts for the maps. Though that system had its own challenges too, it was definitely something workable for large events.

And on a lighter note… John Smith has paired with Susan for this. Please tell me there is a big blue box involved that is bigger on the inside.

Attachments:

Megaservers

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

Yay! no more having to post almost daily about this abomination and it’s terrible implementation to get the attention of the Devs. That being said, I’m not getting my hopes up too much regarding the “fix.”

I give John Smith much credit for addressing the issue and for doing so here, on the official forums instead of us, or someone else having to dig the info up from Reddit. That’s a a much needed, and appreciated step forward. I’ll take any little advances for now.

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

Megaservers

Posted by: Stormdancer.4972

Stormdancer.4972

I remember with some pain the advice to just ‘guild up’, to fix problems with people getting seperated by the megaserver.

“Party up”, “Guild up” and “Squad up” … all of the above have produced split groups. It’s particularly fun when the party, in the squad, made entirely of guild members splits, when we change zones.

So if this gets improved, I’ll be less unhappy.

Megaservers

Posted by: Mokk.2397

Mokk.2397

What is that a seat cover? And will it fit a Nissan?

Megaservers

Posted by: Plexxing.2978

Plexxing.2978

Are you sure he wasn’t talking about SAB?

Edit on topic: Considering what is being written on some posts, this thread might even give them new ideas of how to improve megaservers.

(edited by Plexxing.2978)

Megaservers

Posted by: Nar.8327

Nar.8327

Fear not, for Susan does not abandon her faithful.

Praise be!

Megaservers

Posted by: Melanion.4892

Melanion.4892

What minor changes have already been made?

Hmm IMO the post is far too vague IMO. Why can’t they say whether its to do with full HOT maps closing just for example?

Because as soon as he provides one example he opens himself up to feeling obligated to answer every question like “is x getting fixed” and so on.

Furthermore, we know Anet’s tendency to close rank and let Gaile do all the verbal maneuvering she can to try to placate the masses. This is non-specific, but it’s communicative. We know a team is working on it. We know a team is working on a specific issue. We know that the issue is complicated and that they will be releasing various fixes over the next few months. WE GOT A TIMELINE. Do you know how rare that is? I don’t remember the last time when we got a timeline that actually felt honest. None of this “soon” kitten. A few months. Various stages over the next few months. Sure, those few months might stretch into a year, but he’s telling us a fair bit here, actually. Over the course of the next few months we will be receiving updates to a system that has been acknowledged to be flawed. I don’t see the need to want more, really.

Claude – Pink Fairy Mesmer

Megaservers

Posted by: Bandini.6185

Bandini.6185

That’s good news John. Thank you for sharing.

Megaservers

Posted by: Hayner Jetik.2186

Hayner Jetik.2186

Weeping Angels confirmed! Mesmers, don’t blink!

Megaservers

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Thanks for giving us info in the official forums for once. Thank you thank you thank you.

Please consider the Roleplaying community in your fixes too. We are still here, despite the terrible blow the megaserver system meant for us.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Megaservers

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Nice to know, thanks.

Megaservers

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

Thank You for the heads up, it is Greatly Appreciated!!

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

Megaservers

Posted by: Eddbopkins.2630

Eddbopkins.2630

thank you John Smith you the man

Megaservers

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I’ve recently seen quite a few posts mentioning megaservers. As per standard business, I can’t say anything about release dates or future content, but I can say that we recognized that megaservers were a problem quite some time ago. At that time my squad joined up with the deific ~Susan and her team to begin work on the system. I wanted to tell you that we know there are problems and we’re fixing them. We’ve released some very minor changes already and there will be several phases of fixes applied over the next few months.

That reminds me … whatever happened to the Mystic Forge changes or are they all released already?

Megaservers

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Open world pvp maps confirmed!

This master plan will boost ascended gear creation 100 fold and would explain why John bought 4 bajillion thick leather sections recently.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Megaservers

Posted by: dusanyu.4057

dusanyu.4057

Easy fix for megaservers revert back to the way it was BEFORE megaservers. the big issue of them is the fact serten dynamic events are always successfully competed making sertrn areas devoid of Enemies causing renown points to take forever to finish. (I am looking at you harathi hinterlands)

issue two is that if your on somthing that does not have a decent speed boost like a Guardian alot of times Dyn. events are done before you can reach them.

Megaservers

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Easy fix for megaservers revert back to the way it was BEFORE megaservers. the big issue of them is the fact serten dynamic events are always successfully competed making sertrn areas devoid of Enemies causing renown points to take forever to finish. (I am looking at you harathi hinterlands)

issue two is that if your on somthing that does not have a decent speed boost like a Guardian alot of times Dyn. events are done before you can reach them.

So what, you want people to be stuck on servers that have 6 people to do the tarir city metaevent or similar?

Hello death of anything but high pop servers (which then again wouldnt be so bad, the entire GW2 population can probably fit on 3-4 servers).

Megaservers

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

Really great to hear that but why oh why. when you were aware of the issue ‘quite some time ago’ and there have been dozens of threads on the issue, do you wait months to inform the player base that you are aware of the issue and attempting a fix?

Do you not realize the damage that the lack of communication has done in the intervening period?

Megaservers

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

There is only damage because players assume something, not because Anet doesn’t act.

Megaservers

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

There is only damage because players assume something, not because Anet doesn’t act.

Not communicating an awareness of the issue early on, is the problem.

This leads to frustration, anger and gives the (ever growing) impression that the dev’s either don’t care or are incompetent.

Megaservers

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Not communicating an awareness of the issue early on, is the problem.

This leads to frustration, anger and gives the (ever growing) impression that the dev’s either don’t care or are incompetent.

when they communicate it early on, people complain anyways 6 months later.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Megaservers

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

Is this the famous Susan that told us the WvW Maps were going to reset and became famous overnight ?

I really like the idea of auctioning off space in maps – pay more to get put in a fuller map. You pay a exponential fee based on how much space is left in the map.
This would be a good gold sink – and encourage players to get into maps sooner rather than just before the event starts.
^ please make the above so.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com