[Merged] Ascended Armor Impressions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So, it will be EXACTLY like it was with exotic-legendary except with 1 of most pointless tiers of gear in MMO ever.

You DO need THAT tier for fractals. duh

And by raising power cap you will eventually need it for other stuff.

Yes, it was a nod to those the hollered, and loudly, for more gear grind. For some it will be pointless, not for all. For some, it will be the stepping stone anet claims its supposed to be, to bridge the time gap between easily obtainable exotics, and longer term legendaries. It’s all perspective.

You need _some_of the tier for fractals. As people have already shown, you can do the higher fractals with exotic armor and weapons, with only ascended trinkets. Something they have been doing for months now. Adding in the weapon simply makes it easier because they can get more AR and some additional damage output. There will be those that desire the challenge of doing it without the upgraded weapon, just as there will be those that feel they can’t do it without. The exception here is Maw, where agony neither caps nor functions quite like other fractals. Outside this, it is simply perspective differences is all.

Yes, the higher stat cap potentially means we may need it later on. Down the road. In the future. At some expansion point. It does not mean we need it right now. Of course, anet could add harder content at a later time, that recommends ascended, and people still do it in exotic. It all depends on whether anet falls into the gear gating trap of other games. At this point, they haven’t, with the single solitary exception of fractals which appeals to a very specific subset of players.

You don’t have to be a kitten in your response. Can you not have a civil conversation with those you don’t agree with, or do you simply lack manners in general?

Except there already is a gear gated content.

Which I already addressed.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Ugly as kitten. ANet made a horrible mistake firing their artist and going for a cheap free mmo look.

on the other hand, why do we care if people are going to wear fairy neon wings and power ranger weapons anyway?

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Mesket.5728

I tend to disagree with you lot! I think new armour looks amazing, but of course with right colour combo! Thank you Arena – these armours are intricate and thanks to the devs that modeled them!

please, hide more parts.

Try to fit that on a Norn or Char…

Armors are ugly. Overwhelming ammount of details that little have to do with the rest of the enviroment… this armors belong to another game. I can barely see myself slaying oggres in a Jester suit only fit for Mesmers (if you follow GW1 concept). Whoever design this was really out of his game.

(edited by Mesket.5728)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Darn it, Airewing. I hate grinding for gear. But you just made two of them look glorious. too bad my main Medium wearer is a man … I am drooling over female human Medium now.

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

I wouldn’t have a problem with ascended armor if i didn’t have to freaking CRAFT to get it. I do NOT WANT TO CRAFT, I hate crafting in any MMO ever especially this one. They’re gating stuff to force you to do something you don’t want to do to remain competitive. If there’s no alternative way of attaining ascended gear once ascended armor is in, I’m done with this game for good. I’ve been here since day one, and this is it for me. I will not be forced to do stuff I absolutely loathe.

Same feelings here.

Going to keep playing WvW until the point where the Ascended vs Exotic gear gap is too big (or until ESO is released).

At that point, I’m out.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I have to say, even in the images people are showing with the ascended armor in supposed good color combos, all I see is garbage.

I’m honestly shocked at how bad these ascended sets look. I realize people don’t generally wear full sets, but come on, these look ridiculous.

Who is in the art department approving these sets! This would be acceptable for a dungeon set or something, like CM, but ASCENDED? No way, I would have bluntly told the artist it isn’t at all what ascended armor should look like and to get back to the drawing board and make something good. It honestly looks WEAKER than other armor in game. Shouldn’t it exude power just by the looks? Don’t you want people wearing ascended armor to be obviously wearing ascended armor? Isn’t that the entire point of this game?! To look good!!??

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Can’t please everyone I guess….

Light, I’m so-so on. I’ll have to try it out on my individual chars and see how it is.

Medium, I like.

Heavy… maybe sans the shoulders, and depending on dye-ability.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

I have much less of a problem with these armors and ascended weapons than I do some of the other things already in the game. At least there is a GW feel to the new ascended stuff and id rather see more of this style than anything holographic or hideous impractical themed back items (what is the back item from Twilight Assault even supposed to be?).

As Mesket said, there is some silly crap in game already that I would much rather do without. GW lasted a long time without giving into novelty and cartoonishness. Even when they did put in odd accessories, they were really difficult to come by and subdued in comparison to what we are seeing now (chaos gloves, blindfold, glasses).

Hey Dociu, tighten up that crew and reel in those designers. More dark world where Dragons threaten the existence of all sentient life, races are displaced and driven from their homes and humans are on the brink of extinction; less happy, glowy, sparkle time, laser stuff, tempered with the heat of the care-bear stare and cooled with unicorn pee.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Eridani.8317

Eridani.8317

Heavy looks… ok, medium and light pretty bad. Nothing special considering the investment involved and that it is the top tier.

I mean one thing you can say about WoW… they had good armour designers.

(edited by Eridani.8317)

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I don’t like them at all.

They said end game was about looks and skins. However the end game armor is hideous.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

The heavy armour looks pretty awesome

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

I know its a pipe dream but I’m hoping there are different armor skins for each stat grouping the way there were different colors for ascended weapons. I will probably get a whole set anyway regardless but I’d like some more options if possible.

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

Gear-check content must be coming soon, it’s the only missing piece now.

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

My suggestion to devs for next armor sets:

http://guildwiki.gamepedia.com/Armor_types#Categories_of_armor_types

Open links, look at pics (manly elite ones), compare to Gw2, cry in shame, start reproducing.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

I’m really sorry, but honestly how can someone look at any of these armor (male and female) and think : “yep those are the skins I want to have. I want to bother with obtaining them for the looks”

Draknar.5748

I’m really sorry, but honestly how can someone look at any of these armor (male and female) and think : “yep those are the skins I want to have. I want to bother with obtaining them for the looks”

Seriously. I’m usually the first to jump in and defend some of the decisions Anet makes that are less popular, but ugly is ugly and these armor sets have no business being Ascended and/or requiring any effort to obtain.

I am deeply disappointed. I just don’t understand why they would approve these for Ascended. Not even just Ascended, the FIRST Ascended set ever released. It should be wtf awesome, not complete garbage that 99% of people will trasmute older skins over. I just wish I was a fly on the wall at that design meeting. I need to see the face of the person(s) responsible for this travesty.

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

Yes sadly I come to inform ANet that those sets are objectively bad designed. They follow the design mantra:
1. Make a boring run-of-the-mill silhouette.
2. Put lots of “detail” on it. In fact, cover it wholly in it.
3. That must mean it’s an elaborate, aesthetically pleasing armor set.

But that’s not how it works. Silhouette is more important. This is aesthetics 101. Most GW1 armor had less “detail” than the GW2 ones but they still looked leagues better if you ask your players, because they had more memorable and variable silhouettes. GW2 silhouettes are incredibly samey on anything but female light armors.

I am really concerned if they will continue this trend and only put the good looking armor sets into the cash shop – for doubly obvious reasons.

(edited by Jamais vu.5284)

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

I don’t think this thread contains one piece of constructive criticism so far all. What looks bad about them? What specifically do you not like? What would make it look better?

“Armor is ugly because ugly” is honestly a worthless post and anet will just ignore the feedback because it isn’t offering a single thing of value.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Eridani.8317

Eridani.8317

I don’t think this thread contains one piece of constructive criticism so far all. What looks bad about them? What specifically do you not like? What would make it look better?

Well I’m not emplyed as a graphic designer or artist so it’s not for me to give suggestions exactly how it should be. It is just underwhelming generally though, far too generic. For ascended armour, the top tier with a large time investment, it should stand out more.

Posted by: PraetorMortis.8610

PraetorMortis.8610

So, beyond the horrible skins, anyone consider how awful the stats were? 1-5 points to main stats across the set. Considering the time/cash investment to make the weapons, I’d have hoped for more on the armor. Part of the reason that most MMO players stayed on the treadmill was that going up a tier in gear actually made you better. Here we get a marginal increase in stats, with no AR slots mind you, for a ton of effort.

Again Anet fails at balancing work with reward. Don’t give us stuff to do just to keep us busy. Make it rewarding and fun (cuz crafting is awful)

Posted by: Veltoss.9135

Veltoss.9135

I don’t get what’s so “horrible” about them, a lot of people seem to like them. I do. I personally wouldn’t wear the light armor, but it’s not “horrible” and it adds more variety.

What exactly is so horrible about them? And when are people going to stop talking as if their opinion is fact?

You don’t even have to wear it, there are tons of other sets and individual pieces that can be mixed together with transmutation stones.

Blackgate

Posted by: rjnemer.7816

rjnemer.7816

Where are people seeing the ascended armor?

“If you want to get rid of “zerk” you have to make content
hard enough to make them cry, not just rivers but oceans."

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

The heavy armour looks pretty awesome

The heavy is, minus the “box for a head” helm, the best of three. Medium is meh, but with decent dyes could look alright. The light however NEEDS a rework. Why must all the light armor look so kitten feminine on males? I would kill for that set of heavy as a light design just so as to look at least a bit bad kitten . I don’t care if it glows a neon black during the daytime, I’ll transmute these in a heartbeat!

ANet you may want to release the light armor along with a 50% sale of the transmutation crystals, just to show 100% transparency in your motives.

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

Also incoming Legendary gear. Better start farming or buy gems.

Posted by: Benjamin.8237

Benjamin.8237

Ascended was never meant to be part of the game, however Anet wanted the end game gear to be hard to get. They wanted people to spend months rather than days getting Exotics, so they added ascended after. There shouldn’t be any new gear for the next however many years after this. So err, deal with it.

*Another note, Ascended is mainly for hardcore people, if you want ascended (top tier gear) you are not a casual player, so why complain.

P R I N C E | Best Renger EU
You can find me in PvP | I normally answer PMs

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

I don’t get what’s so “horrible” about them, a lot of people seem to like them. I do. I personally wouldn’t wear the light armor, but it’s not “horrible” and it adds more variety.

What exactly is so horrible about them? And when are people going to stop talking as if their opinion is fact?

You don’t even have to wear it, there are tons of other sets and individual pieces that can be mixed together with transmutation stones.

It’s all subjective, of course. Me and my GF just previewed them in game and her reaction was the same as mine “well, if that is what they look like – no need to worry about them at all.” I think they are all very MEH – and I don’t care THAT much about having “pink” armor so we will probably just make some gold off the people who do like the look (probably very few…) or just HAVE to have ascended stats, assuming there are no other options to acquire them.

Assuming this IS what they are going to look like, it’s funny how far this game has done an about face on its original design. We went from focusing on cosmetics to focusing on stats – and this armor exemplifies that perfectly.

(edited by azurrei.5691)

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Heavy set makes me think of arancars from bleach…

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

Fractals is a very loose excuse for another tier. Its about all you can tie the need for this too…but even then, they didn’t need another tier. An Ascended tier on par with Exotic, but with the additional Infusion slots is all that was needed if you want to argue fractals.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

They do not look that bad but the truth is its not about how good or bad they look its how different they look from other armor. Not every one has the same taste as you do and by adding in more different looking gear is the key to giving ppl a chose in how they look.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: ixie.9271

ixie.9271

I love them, they look expensive

Jski.6180

Simply put because there are rings earring necks items weapons back items the real question what the point of NOT having ascended armor?

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Hah, this Dagger/Dagger thing still had no fixed yet O.o
(Wouldn’t so hard to make it a pair-like until another weapon placed in the second slot)

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Draknar.5748

“Armor is ugly because ugly” is honestly a worthless post and anet will just ignore the feedback because it isn’t offering a single thing of value.

Heavy armor doesn’t look heavy, it looks like medium armor at best, and the helmet. Good god that helmet. How much time do you think went into that design? Uhh, full face dome featureless helmet, with uh, three breathing/seeing holes and some completely gaudy metal offshoot on the side, yea that looks epic! Roll with it! Oh and lets be sure to put on as many straps as possible, everyone likes straps and we totally haven’t been overdoing the strap thing at all, nope, not at all! For shoulderpads, lets not do anything large and intimidating, I’m thinking a chainlink pauldron, slightly smaller than the Masterwork level 30 shoulderpads already available, and on the other side, how about a slightly larger, asymmetrical metal pad with a bit of an iron fence glued on top. Now THAT’S Ascended!!! Man I hope I get a raise for such great work! Pants and shoes I actually think are decent, not sure why the rest of the set doesn’t seem to mirror them.

Don’t even get me started on Anet’s fascination with masquerade masks. Did I miss a time period where masquerade masks were worn as armor? I mean are you serious? How many stupid masks are you going to make? And on Ascended armor even? Are we all going to a masquerade ball after we kill Zhaitan? And lets not ignore the flowery/feathery shoulderpads. This style will clearly transcend all races! Charr, norn, asura, who doesn’t like flowery shoulderpads! No, I didn’t just design this armor for human females, why do you ask?

Medium, oh man medium…single eye masquerade mask, yes this needs to happen, what medium armor wearer wouldn’t want to have a defective eyepatch for head protection, I know I would! For armor, let’s not stray too far, let’s pick out an armor set already available, add some fancy gilding work, make one arm covered in leather straps (a la many other medium armors) and then have everything else just be a bland smattering of textures. Hmmm, something is missing, I can’t quite figure out why this medium ASCENDED armor doesn’t look as good as the others. WAIT!!! It needs a sash!!! OMG I can’t believe I didn’t see it sooner!! There, now THAT’S Ascended, no one could ever come here and say it doesn’t look ascended, I mean, do you see the SASH?

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I like the heavy and medium sets but the light armor shoulders, fluffy pants and mask…. kitten that does not look cool.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I’d be willing to grind for a good looking set. Not this.
What happened to GW1 designers?

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

They look ok.

Frankly there’s no way any designer could design an armor set that looks good enough to be worth 6x the grind an Ascended weapon requires.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

They look ok.

Frankly there’s no way any designer could design an armor set that looks good enough to be worth 6x the grind an Ascended weapon requires.

Yeah, not to mention the 200g it takes to level the crafting to 500. They should have kept it at 400 and put a price on recipes… They could have time-gated it if their aim is just to slow people down and make the game feel like a job.

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

i hate it the desing its ouch if thac the new end game armor COME ON

Mesket.5728

They look like lvl 60 karma armors.

Start buying those gems with gold now because they are gonna sky rocket when they put this pijamas ingame. I mean, probably 1% will keep it but the rest will surely transmute

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

They look like lvl 60 karma armors.

Start buying those gems with gold now because they are gonna sky rocket when they put this pijamas ingame. I mean, probably 1% will keep it but the rest will surely transmute

I’m not sure why you should even get ascended armour. It isn’t like you need it for the general PvE content… and if nobody gets it, it won’t influence WvW either.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

The only thing I am worried about with it – I love changing my look and I keep my armors so I can change them from time to time and have a bank full of them. If this is time gated and expensive it will be near impossible for me to switch between looks without either loosing 1 of my skins or using the transmutation splitters from the store which is going to be way too expensive over time.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

the point of ascended armor is to kitten me off.

The point of it is to unbalance World vs. World even more, because you don’t even need exotic for doing PvE content, let alone ascended.

Basically it would be the most easy if nobody got ascended, because then nobody would be forced to get it, because it wouldn’t influence WvW if nobody used it.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

The heavy armour set is one of my favourite armour sets in the game. The amount of details on it is crazy.

The light armour set is fine, but nothing special. The medium set….. no, just no.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I kinda like them. shrugs

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I kinda dig them all except the light. Don’t like any of the helms/masks. I especially like the medium armor. Looks better than anything else in game for medium!

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Draknar.5748

I kinda like them. shrugs

I’m sure they were shooting for people to “kinda like” the first sets of Ascended armor….

Posted by: deathTouch.9706

deathTouch.9706

Ahahaha light classes, get boned!

V deathTouch V – Warrior
STD [Scarlet Gave Me Harpies]
Maguuma

Posted by: Mayan.7164

Mayan.7164

Do you remember Sesame Street? Anet, I’m going to show you the differences between nice heavy armors and horrible heavy armor skins.

The first 5 pics are nice and the 2 Ascended are horrible.

Attachments:

Jski.6180

the point of ascended armor is to kitten me off.

The point of it is to unbalance World vs. World even more, because you don’t even need exotic for doing PvE content, let alone ascended.

Basically it would be the most easy if nobody got ascended, because then nobody would be forced to get it, because it wouldn’t influence WvW if nobody used it.

First wvw was never balanced at all and it was not made to be as such it is a RvR where a world fights another for better or worst.
Second you can get ascended items from running wvw only it may make more time but you can still do it that way.

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

For something to do when you already have everything else done?

If you dont’ want them dont’ go get them.