[Merged] Opinions on Birthday Presents

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

oh boo hoo just be happy you actually received anything

Why should I be happy that I got something, even if it was free?

I didn’t ask for it. The programming/personnel resources could have been better used elsewhere. It costs me time deleting the gift. I feel as if the sanctity of my in-game mailbox is constantly defiled as I cannot report ArenaNet for spam mailing useless garbage to me. It aggravates and angers me, greatly.

I only wish I could block ALL in-game mail from ArenaNet and their silly NPCs.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Well, I have to give ANet credit for at least trying to give us something nice for our 1yr birthdays; however, it might have been a little short sighted.

The mini:
While I do like the mini, and do appreciate birthday minis, this one doesn’t seem that well planned out. While I am sure there are some people with only a couple of characters hitting their birthday’s right now, it would probably have been better to assume that a majority of people would have multiples at the same time based on your preorder sales, as such, ending up with multiples of the same untradable mini. This is a bit of a let down; after all, why do we need multiples? Unless this is similar to the mini-pig issue from the initial Canthan new year, and we’ll eventually be able to trade in the duplicates for something better (5 mini pigs for 1 celestial pig, if I recall correctly). Even so, this just feels like it could have been planned out a little better, well in advance.

The scroll: I can use this. Admittedly, I can only use 3 of the 8 that I will get, but I still appreciate that. The extras are also something I can stick in my bank for if/when I make another / reroll a character, and let’s face it…. a lot of us will do this. Sure, there will be some percentage of the population that will have no use for these scrolls [ever], but I don’t think they are the majority. I could be wrong, but that’s just my opinion.

The booster: Made me chuckle. I use boosters only to get them out of my inventory, and while this one won’t really be any different, I still appreciate it. Its just another little ‘extra’ that any character can use (in conjunction with the other boosters).

Overall: It’s a little lackluster, but that’s mainly because you told us what we’d be getting before we got it. Sort of ruins the surprise. Still, I’m not looking a gift horse in the mouth; I’m content with what I got (even though I’m still trying to puzzle out why I have multiple Jennahs). Thank you anyway Anet, it’s the thought that counts…

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I enjoyed the gift.

The mini is fine just like any mini. I don’t care that I have 8 of them. They all store in the bank.

The express pass to level 20 scrolls are fine too. When and if new classes or races become available, I’ll use them on the new char slots I will buy.

The birthday booster is fun. Not incredibly far reaching but fun and free.

Not going to complain about free stuff.

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

The express pass to level 20 scrolls are fine too. When and if new classes or races become available, I’ll use them on the new char slots I will buy.

Over the months (years) how many new professions/races will be created compared to how many +20 xp scrolls you will get…… it won’t be proportional.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

If you want GW1…

Play GW1.

Problem solved.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

You know what I would have loved to see in my birthday present? 1 Black Lion Weapon Claim Ticket. HINT HINT ANet!

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

The idea is nice. But in the end, you’ll end up with a lot of useless scrolls. Everybody will.

Let’s say you created 5 characters at the start. You have 3 of those characters at lvl20+. So, you can use 2 of your scrolls. That leaves 3 scrolls in your inventory. Let’s assume a new profession and/or a new race comes out. You create a new character. You use one of those scrolls to boost him to lvl20 (why, I have no idea as you’ll not be able to use the leveling process to get used to the play style of that character). A year later, you’ll have your scroll back, as that new character will turn one.

The majority of those scrolls will never be used.

Posted by: Septemptus.7164

Septemptus.7164

Don’t get me wrong I don’t regret the slots I bought at launch or the 8 lvl 80’s I now have. HOWEVER I now have 8 identical mini’s i can do nothing with and a +20 exp scroll I can’t use. So the best thing I got was something that’s impermanent?

Looking at what they did in GW1 for birthdays, ANet should have removed themselves from mini’s altogether if they weren’t at least going to emulate GW1 or surpass it. Instead they went a step backwards…

True to that. Great words.

Posted by: Laila.1078

Laila.1078

so i log in after 8 monthkittenus from this game and i see the terrible bday present to compliment the terrible game. i wish this game hadn’t been called guild wars 2 as it has nothing to do with guild wars 1. should have been called World of Tyra or somehting and i would have known better than to waste 80 lvls in it.