Mesmer portal: a Liscence to Steal

in Mesmer

Posted by: Shadow Blade.1324

Shadow Blade.1324

Obsidian sanctum can be harder than many dungeons dependent on various factors. dungeons are not a holy grail of dificulty, people exploit their way through dungeons every day for months and the devs do nothing to nerf the reward levels or fix the content. i wonder how hard people would be crying if there was a 2000% nerf to COF1 rewards.

I think this was intentional so the devs could exploit it before it was “fixed” it makes as much sense as the alternative that they have no QA or testing, and dont think at all before implementing things. It is mind boggling how they continue to make the same mistakes without learning anything from previous efforts

Arguments that everyone should be able to get the reward regardless of participation are flawed, apply that reasoning to every aspect of the game, then wed all start with commander and max rank spvp and have a merchant that gave legendaries for free and so on there would be nothing to strive for, and that’s not what the devs wanted so the locked rewards behind content, and if you don’t do the content you don’t get the reward. why is this different?

Saying we can opt out of using portals is all well and good but we cant opt out of the nerfs that comes with other peoples use of them. that is the issue

They should just make portals unusable in puzzles, just disable all skills and traits like clocktower and then make rewards actually worth getting, don’t want people to farm them with new characters? put them in lvl 80 zones or place level restrictions on them.

i wish the devs had a consistent vision and didn’t push out content they know is flawed

in Mesmer

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

It’s a video game. A lot of mesmers are trying to be nice helping people out. Not everyone plays like you, values the same things you do or believes what you believe. Dont like Mesmer portals…..easy……don’t take them. You be all L33t and let everyone else play as they enjoy. It’s a VIDEO GAME.

What is going on in jumping puzzle is less along the lines of helping someone, and more along the lines of completing the content for them.

You can help people by doing things like reviving them and showing them the correct path by staying in front of them, but the difference with this is that they still have to do all the jumps themselves. What portals do is allow them do bypass most, if not all, of the jumps, and thus the content itself.

This defeats the purpose of the content, allowing players to not participate in it and just grab the rewards, which were meant for people who participated in and completed the content.

Again, it really doesn’t bother me if people want to skip the content. As long as how they enjoy their game doesn’t effect how I enjoy mine. I don’t loose anything when they skip the content. It doesn’t hurt me to see somone get portaled to the end of a jumping puzzle and I think if you really think about it, it doesn’t hut you either.

I do understand that some people have a hard time seeing someone else get a ‘free ride’, or have an easier time doing something they had to work hard at. This translates to real life as well. I am just the type of person to get upset at the good fortune of others espcially when it has nothing to do with my own.

You work at a job for years, working hard, earning your raise each year and then a new guy gets hired, and when they hire him they decide that the minimum pay for your role should be what you make, so he gets hired at the same salary as you.

Chances are this would upset you. It woudl not however upset me. Good for him, doesn’t effect what I make, I don’t care.

Sometime less serious, I’m camping at a camp site, I get up early in the morning and look at the sky. I see it is going to rain and it is going to rain hard. I spend all monring tieing tarps, erecting walls, dragging picknick tables under my make-shift shelter. It is hard work, I’m sweating, earning scrapes and bruises and I finish just as it is about to start raining. My friends wake up to the sound of thunder and rush over to my shelter, sit down and crack a beer. They benefit from my shelter with out doing any of the work. Do I get angry? Tell them they can’t share the shelter with me? Lol, no.

So when I spend 3 minutes running Troll’s End in Lion’s Arch and the daily that day is jumping puzzle completed, someone asks in map chat. “Any Mesmers porting?”, I don’t begrudge his fortune that I he is at the right place at the right time, I tell him where to meet me for the portal.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Shadow Blade.1324

Shadow Blade.1324

Again, it really doesn’t bother me if people want to skip the content. As long as how they enjoy their game doesn’t effect how I enjoy mine. I don’t loose anything when they skip the content.

apply this to dungeons, your with a group work to get to the end boss and the group kicks you to give their friend a free ride and skip the content. still happy? you haven’t lost anything…

You work at a job for years, working hard, earning your raise each year and then a new guy gets hired, and when they hire him they decide that the minimum pay for your role should be what you make, so he gets hired at the same salary as you.

you have this analogy backwards, they hire the new guy and decide to cut your wage down to his starting salary because he doesn’t have a mortgage three kids etc and will be fine with that, and he also has to do less work than you and can leave early

i wish the devs had a consistent vision and didn’t push out content they know is flawed

in Mesmer

Posted by: mandrew.6732

mandrew.6732

I am not a mesmer and i support portals. Personally I hate JPs but I always try them and fail over and over again. My experience with this one was that most of the portals were sending people to get the dive achievement and its not a gold exploit. If anything it gives people an easy way to get an achievement which is really not a disaster. They dont work on all JPs and its just an achievement. Personally one day after there is not so much traffic in these areas i might go back and give it a try for fun but usually my computer skips or I cant get a good angle. I like it. I mean I see your point thakittens a shame that people are taking advantage of the skill but I really think it made people work together on my server. people were grateful. AND practically speaking. It is really only so intense right now because the puzzle is getting a lot of attention which made it difficult for me to do it. There were so many people running around i could barely see and i was lagging a bit. And mesmers are only there in abundance because it is so popular right now. Later on it might be easier for me to do it with less people around but that will also mean that there probably wont be a mesmer there.

I salute these mesmers for graciously allowing other people access to what they worked for. The portal skill does not give the MESMER an instant way to the end of the puzzle. they are just being nice, which in my opinion really is a benefit gleaned from a great community in game. players are not trying to out do one another. they are trying to help others.

You saying that only mesmers are defensive of the skill is weird because its the people who arent mesmers that are geting the benefit from it. its the other players.

in Mesmer

CryxTryx.9208

Again, it really doesn’t bother me if people want to skip the content. As long as how they enjoy their game doesn’t effect how I enjoy mine. I don’t loose anything when they skip the content.

apply this to dungeons, your with a group work to get to the end boss and the group kicks you to give their friend a free ride and skip the content. still happy? you haven’t lost anything…

you have this analogy backwards, they hire the new guy and decide to cut your wage down to his starting salary because he doesn’t have a mortgage three kids etc and will be fine with that, and he also has to do less work than you and can leave early

In both your examples I have lost something. Which is not the case when I offer someone a portal.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

While I was doing the jp, an anet developer was using portals to help those who fell. That should pretty much tell you the stance devs have on it.

Btw thank you Ceasar that was so helpful of you!

Attachments:

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

LOL
Normally i dont said nothing against this kind of post, but this one is incredible lol.

Stop the stealing (because that just what it is when you take a reward you didn’t earn.)

Lets begin with the more obvius: “Steal: Take other people propriety”. Your definition is of your own diccionary and language… Anyway is not what you said, you are just using badly a word so that it sound more “loudly” (its not literally loudly, in case you didnt notice).

The new jumping puzzle has just been released, and once again we see that there is no content that this skill can’t break.A few greedy people decided to create toons for the sole purpose of porting to the chest and caching in on a fast 60 silver. Since this could be repeated fairly quickly, a tidy profit could be made. Anet was quick to respond by nerfing the value of the exotic shoulder item, to the detriment of all the honest players. They didn’t nerf it enough though, as players can still collect the exotic shoulders and throw them in the mystic forge to get a random exotic armour piece.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Game-Update-Notes-June-25th-2013/first#post2330359 . That answer it all,, seriusly man you can be a dev or writer of science fiction novels with all the things you imaginated there…

I don’t get it. Find a way to kill a dungeon boss by bypassing his attacks and you risk being banned for exploiting. How is the rabid abuse of the portal different?

Is really not different… they need to change that part, that one is even worse that what it was the fractal Ascalon glitch. But is for the use of a not designed error in the game, isnt something planned (yeah portals in exploration and JP were planneds). Also come the all known thing about: is not about the fire, but how you use it… like in Mad King Clock Tower the banners for the warrior speed buff… So is not because of the portal skill, is a problem in a error in the game and of course people who exploit (totally different case with exploration).

It’s not just this jumping puzzle either, it’s all of them. The jumping puzzles in WvW are filled with prospective legendary wielders porting up for free badges. LA always has players calling out free portals to the jumping puzzles. It’s even offered right here on these forums (See the Goemm’s lab threads). Why is it okay to bypass this content to get free loot; loot that was meant to be earned by completing the content.

Loot that was meant to be earned if someone completed it ( someoen need to do it for the portal) and have portal or you completed it, you see is a skill that allow you help others, like your guildies… You dont like it… be my guest, but remember that the people that portal others if they stay too much time are spending their time in porting others (yeah time means FUN you lost, money, etc… hope that part is easy to get lol).

In WvW this skill was long considered a free way to take towers, keeps and even SM. Everyone accepted that mesmer sweeps were a valid part of the game. Why? Why should a simple skill allow players to bypass the walls of those towers and keeps. Why should a team be allowed to capture something virtually for free, by bypassing the impediments to that capture instead of overcoming them.

It was a error in the game that allowed the mesmers to blink in the towers, etc… if someone thought it was the game design, please rise your hand and suicide yourself, the world will be better with less dumb people… not kidding….
Other uses when the barrier is brokes and all people can go in, are normals, it allow fast transportation from side to side (in other words porting lol).

in Mesmer

Lucius.2140

Why is this skill still in the game. It removes the challenge of doing the content, punishes those who honestly do that content the way it was intended, and cheapens everything from achievements to legendaries to loot in general. This skill is singlehandedly destroying this game. I really wonder how many people would still be screaming that they have already done all of the content without this skill?

It remove the challenge for the group dont want the challenge (if they have some mesmer near and willing to help of course) , if you waqnt it you are free to do it the hard way, so it give you “options”. About loot, yeah it cheapen it a litle, not much because JP give crap in general and more people farm dungeons or World bosses (much more people), but also allow others to get the mats for a cheaper price and is really restricted (you ccant get the chest more than one day per character). And more importantly it give options and allow to do JP with friends and guildies that are bad jumping.
But more importantly, your post resumes in: I spent a lot of time doing this and so i end with a reward that has less value because of this skill, lets nerf it!!!. And of course theres alot of people that have the same problem like me so lets group!!!.

BTW the JP of Wintersday and Mad King were created so that people cant use portals or other skills (let be honests, using other skills in JP is also help to made it easier… like stability, swiftness, etc). The rest of the JP were created so that you do what you want with your skills (both class skills and player skills).

Seriusly after reading all i hope you are trying to troll people with this topic…

in Mesmer

Lucius.2140

BTW, this one isnt my first language…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Wow, every post argueing in favor of portals in this thread is being posted by mesmers. Those mesmers are immediately and vociferously attacking anyone who posts in support of my OP. I think this is very telling. I think that you know that portals are breaking the game and trivializing content. I think you know that you are wrong. I think that is why you are so aggressive. I think you just want to have your liscence to steal at any cost.

I think your breaking the game with posts like this and no I’m not a Mesmer I’m a Ranger(all I play is a Ranger). I happen to have a deficit that affects my co-ordination so jumping puzzles in general takes me hours at times to do, so, my thanks go out to all the Mezmers in the game.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bearlin.7238

Bearlin.7238

Everyone, shush for a moment and watch this hilarious troll portal video taken in the JP (video not owned by me)

in Mesmer

CryxTryx.9208

I think it is safe to say that this thread has begun to go in circles in a similar way that the contents of my toilet does after I flush, in continuing on that premise I think we can all close the lid and walk away at this point.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Yamiga.7863

Yamiga.7863

I really dont understand why there is so much QQ about portals… Yes, they allow people to skip most of the JPs, but how is that an issue? The rewards are mostly crap anyways…
Playing myself a mesmer I use my portal as a checkpoint in JPs so I can go back faster in case I fall (providing I dont die). I dont really care if people use my portal to skip content they find too hard / they’re too lazy to achieve themselves: I am doing those JP for fun and the satifaction of doing it, not for any reward (besides maybe the achivement but JPs are permanent content so it doesnt matters). I often use my portal to help guildies/randoms that have a hard time in a paticular part but I myself refuse to take portals that get me further than where I went myself
And about portals in WvW being a “free way to take keeps and towers”, you really should try to hide in one of these keeps/tower and see how long you survive playing hide and seek with a bazilion of angry ennemy players (I myself find it extremelly fun). If you lose objectives because of mesmers you’re not searching enough.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Menzzo Berranzan.8379

Menzzo Berranzan.8379

There is no justification for portal QQing when you consider that there was an entire gameplay experience (and economy) in GW1 in which players were helping others to avoid or rush through content or avoid combat, Lornars Pass runs, Imperial Sanctum and Jennur’s Horde missions spring to mind, but there were a host of others.
The huge difference between GW1 and GW2 is that as far as i can tell the players who are using portals to help others very rarely take gold for their time and efforts and i for one salute them.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

-snip-

So I guess my question is, why does it anger you to see other people trivialize their own game playing expirience?

Let me just turn that around. Why can’t I have a skill that allows me to enter a dungeon, kindly ask the bosses to step aside, and help myself to their chests?

You can. It’s called “joining late to the dungeon group”.
It requires some other people to do the dungeon for you first, that’s true, but then portal requires the mesmer to get to the JP end as well, so it’s pretty much equal there.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Portals is actually a big part of helping out guildies. It helps bind guildies together. It’s not a bad thing for a guild to have people who can help other people through content they normally wouldn’t be able to do. That, to me, is one of the major things a guild can do. And it helps build community.

Recently we did the Obsidian Sanctum jumping puzzle, because people wanted the Aetherblade cache in there. We’re predominantly a PvE guild and to be honest, moving through an area with hostile enemies, built for PvP was tasking. We had two mesmers in our group. When people fell on jumps, we portaled them back up so they could try again. The entire movement through relatively hostile territory made it a great group event.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Everyone, shush for a moment and watch this hilarious troll portal video taken in the JP (video not owned by me)

Hilarious.
Did that once to players in Eternal Battlegrounds.
The players were waiting for a portal and thought I was friendly, so i went to them and used Guardian’s shield 5 skill to KD them of the edge and die.
They were so angry.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

Funny thing, my main is a mesmer, I’ve done just about everything with her including creating Bifrost….finally yay! But i’ve never, ever used the portal for anything even for myself, even though i’ve not completed all the JP’s. I completely forget i even have that skill lol.

I don’t like lot of JP’s due to my wireless keyboard/mouse having a small latency issue and over all, i find more useful utility to use than portal. Plus i do think portal skill is a bit of a cheat, allowing you to bypass difficult content in the game and i’m totally against any kind of cheating.

Although, as mentioned above, i have issues doing JP’s and i have to admit (due to extreme frustration) using other mesmer portals on a couple of occasions for JP’s that i spent countless time trying to do and was unable to, like the one in EB and the skipping stones in SSC. I do think some of the JP’s are very difficult, not taking into account issues like mine, or even older people who do not have such a quick reactions. Too many of these JP’s require such precision that it renders them useless to a lot of people.

On another note, I went a couple of times with some ppl to do CoF and if ur not real quick with the portal setup thru the boulders, they blame you and i avoid any unnecessary aggravation if I can, as i come to gw2 to have a bit of fun, not have the pressure of blame being placed on me of the entire group failing or succeeding in something that i think shouldn’t be abused in the first place.

Another time i went to do this same path without any portal and it was so funny trying to get through the boulders, all of us stripping our armor down, we had such laughs.

Overall, I’d much rather have the latter experience and feel satisfied of actually having done the content without shortcuts. But I do understand there are times when that skill is extremely useful, but like anything, if something is that useful it will be overused and abused, it’s human nature.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Phoenix.7845

Phoenix.7845

Why are you so willing to accept that people are allowed to simply skip content and take what they want, while others earn it?

So someone will get an achievement and a chest 5-8 minutes faster, is that really a problem? For them the reward is getting to the end chest fast while for others the reward is the experience of doing the JP. Some people will want to do the JP without portals just for fun/challenge. Many mesmers offered portal to help others including myself. People spend their time and ported others helping them and wanting nothing in return and then people like you come and blame them for ruining the game.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Thank you, mesmers.

I watch people breeze through these things, and I just can’t figure out how they do it. My jumps are never the same twice in a row. I can press the keys the same way, but the results – who knows? Sometimes my guys do exactly what I expect and want them to do. Sometimes they jump too far. Sometimes too short. Sometimes not at all.

Still, I’ve got through all the non-holiday jumping puzzles in this game on my own with the exception of Stepping Stones (also haven’t done two of the wvw puzzles, but as I understand it they are identical to one of the others there that I’ve done).

This puzzle… those black pipes near the beginning… just getting across those is a MAJOR FEAT for me because of the randomness mentioned above. I hate that type of jump. Also, jumping down from the ship onto that vent pipe, and then from there down to that first little platform – my guys keep hitting their heads on something and falling short. Even my asura. Not every time. But enough that I keep having to go over to that bounce platform to try to bounce back up to the part with the black pipes…

I went in again this morning with my ranger. There were several mesmers helping people get through some of the rough spots. With the help of one of these, I got to that first bounce platform with the tall blue flames (which is the farthest I’ve managed to get without help) only to fall (same as before) because the bounce up to the next platform just wasn’t bouncy enough. To get back to that point to try that bounce again… agh.

So.

Thank you, mesmers. Thank you.

The table is a fable.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

What is going on in jumping puzzle is less along the lines of helping someone, and more along the lines of completing the content for them..

Helping someone and doing something for them is essentially one and the same thing if they have asked for that assistance.

If someone needed help in real life, you wouldn’t be “breaking reality” by lending them a hand. (Well… there are some religions that would argue that helping people is intervening in their god’s grand plan, but I have my own opinion on people like that)

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mrflushy.8342

Mrflushy.8342

When I play my level 80 mesmer while doing JP’s and I see someone not able to make a jump. I’ll ask in chat if they want me to setup a portal for them to use. I leave it up to them if they want to take the offer or decline it.

While doing dungeons like citadel of flames path 1 for a sample. I find portal skill helpful in bypassing the lava boulders. I’m not using the portal skill in a exploitable way. I’m only using the skill in the way they set it up to be used.

I find the portal skill fine as long it’s used in the way they meant it to be used. It’s something else if used in a exploitable way to reach some where a char normally should not be at.

Just cause some people used portal to reach the chest in a JP. Does not mean the portal skill should be removed. After all the portal skill it self was used in a way they set it up to be used. What I mean by that is it was not used in a exploitable of reaching. Some where a char should not be at within the map.

If someone deliberately exploit something in the game then ArenaNet should take action on the user.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

If you don’t like the portal, don’t take the portal.

Pretty simple, isn’t it?

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in Mesmer

Ryuujin.8236

If you don’t like the portal, don’t take the portal.

Pretty simple, isn’t it?

There’s a lot of current political issues that can be summarised this way, yet apparently they don’t think it is that simple :p

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Let me just turn that around. Why can’t I have a skill that allows me to enter a dungeon, kindly ask the bosses to step aside, and help myself to their chests?

Most would argue that the extreme way Warriors are above other classes for dungeon DPS is much more economy damaging than a server filled with only Mesmers could ever be.

In other words, yes, as you say Portal can be used to (surprisingly!) portal players. However, this is a teensy tiny problem as far as gaining excess money is concerned.

(edit)
More importantly, how would you “fix” this? Nerf Portal again? Because you know, someone used the skill in PvE still, after all the nerfs; can’t have that?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

(edited by Carighan.6758)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Skysophrenic.6378

Skysophrenic.6378

The Mesmer has very, very, very few benefits for using portal just her himself/herself. The fact that there was an unlimited usage for people, now nerfed to 20, means that Anet intended for people to use it in the open world. If it was intended for PvP, then the limit would be 10. If it was intended for dungeons, the limit would be 5. The fact that there is a 20 man limit, suggests that it was made for quick travelling between point A and point B without having the rest of the 20 run through all the obstacles. By having one person run through content/obstacles, the rest of the 20 can be doing other things. Therefore, your proposal for the mesmer only allowed to use his/her portal as a personal checkpoint is… sketchy at best, and essentially kills the intended usage for a skill. Furthermore, your suggestion of how it should be used, “escape from combat, running supplies in wvw, a protection against a bad jump in jumping puzzles, etc.” is… silly. If a mesmer could only use his/her own portal, there are far… far better utility skills that benefit him/herself. In fact, there are better group orientated utilities as well. Running supplies in WvW with portal does happen, but as a group. Again, personal portal is silly.

This is exemplified in WvW, dungeons, and the open world. In WvW if a tower is under siege, it can be difficult for defenders to get inside due to the lack of strategically placed postern gates (like really? Right next to the main door where people attack?) It is then better to have a group support the mesmer and get inside the tower, and then provide a portal for the rest of the group – so that the rest doesn’t have to go through the obstacles. As for taking over keeps/towers, the difficulty to hide and remain hidden/playing a game of hide and seek tag for up to 15 minutes is incredibly difficult – especially if the enemy knows you’re around.

Open world – you’ve got the JP’s. Nuff said – it is made so that those that would have trouble or difficulties have a way to actually complete achievements/explore the open world. Now this is where you have the main problem, as according to your post. You have a problem where you are having trouble completing content, whereas others just skip to the end. Here’s a small problem with portals – as long as there is still time for the portal, and enough charges to allow people through, portals are non-exclusive. If I lay a portal, I cannot stop you from using it. It is not “stealing” the content/rewards, as you are not taking someone else’s property. It is a viable alternative method to completing a given task, GIVEN that in order to get a port, a mesmer has to finish content legitimately by running through all the obstacles, and therefore actually placing a portal and placing it so others can access it.

Skipping content in dungeons is a viable method – stealth mechanisms + portal = smoother runs. Yet it also requires communication and coordination – other requirements and activity that is promoted by Anet. CoF example is silly – there are far more creative uses for portals, such as dredge fractal bombing runs, or harpy jumping, or cliffside hammers/arm seals.

Using portal to bug out/exploit pathing in dungeons – now that I agree with is an exploitation. I’ll give you this point.

Summary: You misunderstand the premise of the portal mechanism, because you don’t understand how the utility works, and why it is currently like it is. In fact, if they found portal to be game breaking, they would have changed it in the very recent overhaul. Portal is a very game changing skill – one with creative uses and great public utility. Your opinion will always be your opinion, but at the end of it, you’re viewing how portal is being used without seeing how portal was designed.

Deep Fried Chicken
[Choo] PainTrainChoo
[Envy]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

The mesmer had to make it to begin with so in cases like jumping puzzles and dungeon obstacles like ball room in CoF it’s only partly skipped. And in the long run doesn’t matter.

Plus examples like OS it might be one of the best ways to counter chest campers. Solo mes to end then port a mini zerg up.

Btw, Mesmers Carry, it’s pretty much what we do.

We bring presence to fights, have large consistent damage single target or Point blank AoE, we support while in Damage Or tank spec, and we can make everyone stronger/faster.

Portals are the same, no one is forcing you to take them. You can walk if you so chose. A blatant money exploit I can understand being angry at but don’t get so kitten just because people want portals.

Now when portal tipping gets out of hand that’s another story -_-

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: drongas.4189

drongas.4189

another crythief and crynecro thread?

………..Gandara………..

I’m kill you’r bessies

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Don’t worry, it’ll improve once Thieves get a Portal skill which also stealthes and works between different thieves on the same account.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

Here’s the issue, i for one, can’t jump to save my life lol. I’m very JP challenged, and same with many other players. We use the same controls you use, we use right click mouse button navigation, we do our best we can, but its just impossible for some of us… to judge distance on pixels and stuff, just not naturally inclined at it, or maybe in games in general. Not to mention, there’s people with eyesight issues, like the screen or the jp being too dark, or some who are light sensitive and get tired easily, or are claustrophobic or whatever you describe people who get dizzy with the quick movement of camera angles (especially as i mention again below, when you’re in tight spaces). There’s a LOT of reasons how people might not be able to do JP. People got to the next stage like half an hour ago and I’d still be stuck in the same spot. Yet people still attempt it and still want to finish it.

I made it to the end after a super long time was porting people who can’t make it up. There’s people who spent like an hour trying to jump it and failing at certain places. It was a tough JP, and what made it worse was the design of the tight spaces so the camera angles sucked and constantly put ur camera like right into your character’s bum… plus at release, there were so many people, with big characters that blocked out the field of vision. It was literally almost impossible for some people to make it. So it wouldn’t be fair if only jumping inclined players gets an award for completing it, yet some people who couldn’t make it, spent like an hour trying to do it.

I don’t think there’s anything we can do about this nor should be done. If you enjoy jumping the content then you can do it, but for those who can’t do it, or don’t want to, then let people port. It’s a way to be nice to fellow server mates. It’s hardly done with stealing in mind. I was porting just to be nice and help people, new players, people who can’t jump, people who are frustrated, and by all means if people are just plain lazy then that’s their choice right?

(edited by takatsu.9416)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

It’s an utility skill. It’s used to “combat” hostile environment such as walls. It’s one of the few skills that actually has some creative uses. I don’t see anything wrong with it, but there are always people who find creative tricks as cheats.
Seriously, if you want to truly abuse jumping puzzles, log your alts near the chest and then log in the next day to loot it.

Oh and you can use it to bypass the stones of the cof p1? Really, its a cheat now because it makes the dungeon go faster? Well is it also a cheat to stack 100 blades warriors and a bs / pw thief to take the bosses down in matter of seconds?
Or what about 5 guards with their boon spam to trivialise the whole dungeon so that you can watch Emmerdale while doing it?

Again, some people think that portal is a cheat because its a tool used to creatively combat the environment instead of being another mindless damage skill to paint red progress bars into black faster.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

(edited by Master of Timespace.2548)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

every JP should be like clocktower/winterland; no skills, no buffs and no enemies

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

in Mesmer

Posted by: tAzz.8497

tAzz.8497

So done with confusion, done with timewarp(i find it useless atm but hey u dont stealth on bosses right ),done with blurredfrenzy, guess now its time for portal to get a “fix” – make 10 15 threads it will get nerfed at 1 point.
btw i didnt think il find ppl complaining about portal when so many ask u for one .

in Mesmer

Posted by: Helios.3598

Helios.3598

Okay, we can play this game. Let’s remove one of the defining traits of the mesmer. Let’s remove portal. However, if we do that, then only to be fair we have to do the same to the other classes. Therefore, we also need to remove Shadow Refuge from thieves, Elixer S from engineers, Lick Wounds from Ranger, Static Field from Elementalist, Epidemic from Necro, Battle Standard from Warrior, and Stand Your Ground from Gaurdian. It could be argued that every one of these “break” the game and are overpowered in some way. But you know what? I’m sure ANet would drop portal and think nothing of it because nerfing the mesmer is something of a minigame in gw2.

It’s my guess that the OP is one of the foolish ones who took a mesmer backtrack portal the wrong way in the new JP. Disregarding the 60s item, if people are bypassing content then I’m not sure why they are playing the game.

mesmer of Blackgate
http://intothemists.com/

in Mesmer

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

Wow, every post argueing in favor of portals in this thread is being posted by mesmers. Those mesmers are immediately and vociferously attacking anyone who posts in support of my OP. I think this is very telling. I think that you know that portals are breaking the game and trivializing content. I think you know that you are wrong. I think that is why you are so aggressive. I think you just want to have your license to steal at any cost.

Mesmer is about the only class I don’t play. If this bothers you so much, maybe you should take a break from gaming. Maybe focus that attention on improving some REAL WORLD issues. This is a video game. Portals do not hurt YOU. You don’t like them? Fine, don’t use them. See how easy that is? It’ll save you an ulcer as you get older.

Maybe Thief’s should be the ones to have portals, since they DO have a license to steal. LMAO. Seriously, this thread is just silly.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Wow, every post argueing in favor of portals in this thread is being posted by mesmers. Those mesmers are immediately and vociferously attacking anyone who posts in support of my OP. I think this is very telling. I think that you know that portals are breaking the game and trivializing content. I think you know that you are wrong. I think that is why you are so aggressive. I think you just want to have your liscence to steal at any cost.

Maybe that’s because your posts are disturbingly short-sighted and plain stupid to begin with. You may want to make use of your licence to think before you post.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Mesmer

Posted by: EnRohbi.2187

EnRohbi.2187

Mesmer QQers get funnier and funnier by the day.

I thought people were done complaining about Portal, back in like November…?
Have we done a full circle now and we’re just coming back to the beginning?

Dragonbrand

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kanto.1659

Kanto.1659

Lawl.

Can someone say first world problems?

Edit: http://imgur.com/t6O7WbD

(edited by Kanto.1659)

in Mesmer

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Or alternatively, mesmers are sick and tired of getting nerfed and immediately having someone come to the forum and demanding a new nerf. It’s gets old.

Unfortunately, it appears the the developers take every call to nerf mesmers to heart. Therefore you see a strong reaction for the mesmer community. We are terrified that someone will implement your recommendation.

I’d also like to note that outside of some dungeons and jumping puzzles portal has absolutely no use in PvE. I personally didn’t buy portal until I hit 80 and was running around in WvW.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in Mesmer

Ryuujin.8236

crywarrior this time.

I guess warriors have been buffed so far into god-hood they’ve got nothing of their own left to cry about so it’s time to invade the other classes forums and cry about them having toys they don’t.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

in Mesmer

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

crywarrior this time.

I guess warriors have been buffed so far into god-hood they’ve got nothing of their own left to cry about so it’s time to invade the other classes forums and cry about them having toys they don’t.

Well, in all fairness, warriors should have been able to fly. I think the lack of wings gives them license to complain.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in Mesmer

Posted by: MacLeod.4208

MacLeod.4208

There is no justification for portal QQing when you consider that there was an entire gameplay experience (and economy) in GW1 in which players were helping others to avoid or rush through content or avoid combat, Lornars Pass runs, Imperial Sanctum and Jennur’s Horde missions spring to mind, but there were a host of others.
The huge difference between GW1 and GW2 is that as far as i can tell the players who are using portals to help others very rarely take gold for their time and efforts and i for one salute them.

^^^This.

in Mesmer

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

i main a mesmer…and i suuuuuuck at jp’s.90 percent of my deaths are from falling, so portals are always appreciated ;-P

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

I beat the last puzzle by portal then jumped down and did it properly because I wanted the experience of doing it because I actually enjoy jumping puzzles.

True the people who don’t want to do it shouldn’t do it but I think it’s fine to allow people to avoid content with an ok reward.

But new weapon skins and such are a nono for this, and in the future anything that does have a chance at a cool skin should be designed like griffons roost or madkings clock tower. (You can portal abuse both but mind you it’s hard to do and clearly not intended.) they limit a lot more people and avoid obvious shortcuts and reward the more tenacious people.

But for most puzzles nothing really wrong with this.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Helios.3598

Helios.3598

One solution would be similar to guild rush. Devs could add a couple non-obvious milestones throughout the JP. If you don’t get near each of those milestones you don’t get credit for the JP or the reward.

JPs are one of my most favorite things about this game… That and knocking people off cliffs in WvW

mesmer of Blackgate
http://intothemists.com/

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cares Less.9631

Cares Less.9631

Wow, I have to give props to the Mesmer haters, they still aren’t happy with recent nerfs so they find a new way to complain, get a life, portal is a skill made by the designers, if you don’t want to use it outside of what you perceive to be fair play, then guess what… Don’t use it, wow that’s a hard concept, if you feel disadvantaged then either grow up and use the skill, or surprise… Don’t use it and stop complaining. I swear their is a hidden forum where all Mesmer haters plot their next dastardly calls for nerfs, mostly filled with Thief players.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

1. It is a portal. It does what it is supposed to do.
2. Why does anyone care?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

every JP should be like clocktower/winterland; no skills, no buffs and no enemies

Why don’t you go play some old retro jumping game? Oh, even they aren’t that sterile.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aylaine.1036

Aylaine.1036

So, jumping puzzles are optional content but dungeons are required content? Really?

No. They’re both optional, but one of those two activities is done far more then the other. Can you guess which one? Also, one requires you to enlist the aid of others, so that you may progress through it. JP’s by comparison do not, so they can be completed solo. Sometimes though, for reasons I already mentioned, they can’t complete them (low system, laggy internet, race choices, etc) so helping them achieve that accomplishment is fine. If they want to skip to the end? That’s fine. That is no reason to exclude people who can’t do them simply because you want more personal gratification. Who are you to dictate how other people handle their achievements & accomplishments?

Seriously.

1. It is a portal. It does what it is supposed to do.
2. Why does anyone care?

People want everything to be equal apparently, so that they can stand above others on their accomplishments for no other reason then to brag. It would be easier if people cared less about what their fellow gamer does with their time, their achievements and their accomplishments and focused solely on their own. This isn’t the game where you get magical mguffin #999 to brag about it. This game encourages people to help other people. It doesn’t get any simpler then that.

(edited by Aylaine.1036)

in Mesmer

Posted by: MacLeod.4208

MacLeod.4208

… This game encourages people to help other people. It doesn’t get any simpler then that.

^^^And This.