Mesmers trolling with their portal

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

No, they should be banned. They are intentionally causing harm by placing hostile portals at locations where they can’t be seen and where people will be pressing F so they end up taking it without their knowledge.

Don’t think they should get banned but Anet should make it so portals don’t take priority over siege weapons/blueprints, chests, trap activators, etc.

Lol get banned, as if… They could maybe change the interaction priorities, but isn’t there already a controls option to set AoE loot to another key? If not they could make that option.

Either way, people should thank troll portaliers for waking them up. If you take a portal without thinking or autorun up to chests slapping the F key all the way you are droning too hard.

ALSO, portals have a slight activation delay. The completion effect and sound happens before you can actually use it, so if you see that pink disk and hear the glamour just stop spamming F mindlessly. Problem solved.

Posted by: Conaywea.5062

Conaywea.5062

lol this people is so funny

that is what happens when u play with stupid mindless zergs , if you can call it to play

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

No, they should be banned. They are intentionally causing harm by placing hostile portals at locations where they can’t be seen and where people will be pressing F so they end up taking it without their knowledge.

Don’t think they should get banned but Anet should make it so portals don’t take priority over siege weapons/blueprints, chests, trap activators, etc.

Lol get banned, as if… They could maybe change the interaction priorities, but isn’t there already a controls option to set AoE loot to another key? If not they could make that option.

Either way, people should thank troll portaliers for waking them up. If you take a portal without thinking or autorun up to chests slapping the F key all the way you are droning too hard.

ALSO, portals have a slight activation delay. The completion effect and sound happens before you can actually use it, so if you see that pink disk and hear the glamour just stop spamming F mindlessly. Problem solved.

Unless you don’t see the pink disk due to a combination of it being slightly obscured by other objects/characters, and not expecting anyone to place a portal there.

The megadestroyer incident was just used as an example since I happened to accidentally catch it on video, you’re not addressing the fact that some mesmers use these portals to disrupt events like Teq/wurm mid way, which has nothing to do with looting, and “stop spamming F” does not solve.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Unless you don’t see the pink disk due to a combination of it being slightly obscured by other objects/characters, and not expecting anyone to place a portal there.

The megadestroyer incident was just used as an example since I happened to accidentally catch it on video, you’re not addressing the fact that some mesmers use these portals to disrupt events like Teq/wurm mid way, which has nothing to do with looting, and “stop spamming F” does not solve.

I have to agree with those that are saying it shouldn’t be/isn’t reportable.
All that it takes to avoid a portal is a little bit of awareness. While you may not be able to see the portal itself due to a variety of reasons, the activation itself changes color and text…it’s not all that hard to miss.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Portal_interact.jpg

So again, instead of just randomly smashing F (or whatever key bind you have) maybe take 1/4 of a second to glance at the dialog that pops up to see what it says before pressing the button.

If its orange and says “loot” then you are good to go.
If its orange and says “activate”, depending on what you are doing, you may or may not want to press F at that moment.
Same for “use”, “examine”, “talk” “Greet” etc.

As for troll portals in general. I never take a portal, unless the Mesmer is in my party, and I know them. Random portals at bosses and in open world never lead to anything good.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Lambent.6375

All that it takes to avoid a portal is a little bit of awareness. While you may not be able to see the portal itself due to a variety of reasons, the activation itself changes color and text…it’s not all that hard to miss.

So again, instead of just randomly smashing F (or whatever key bind you have) maybe take 1/4 of a second to glance at the dialog that pops up to see what it says before pressing the button.

If its orange and says “activate”, depending on what you are doing, you may or may not want to press F at that moment.

As for troll portals in general. I never take a portal, unless the Mesmer is in my party, and I know them. Random portals at bosses and in open world never lead to anything good.

Unfortunately this doesn’t help when people place portals on jump pads so you have to wait before you can use them, and have to opt to run if you don’t want to wait.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Unfortunately this doesn’t help when people place portals on jump pads so you have to wait before you can use them, and have to opt to run if you don’t want to wait.

I suppose clicking on the jump pad, and watching for the prompt to say “activate” is a bit too much….

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Lambent.6375

I suppose clicking on the jump pad, and watching for the prompt to say “activate” is a bit too much….

I’ll try that the next time I see this happen.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Don’t take portals you don’t trust. Bind your interact and/or loot to a different key. Also if you do take a portal accidentally, you can quickly interact again to be taken back to the start.

I find dead people on jump pads to be more annoying than troll portals.

Posted by: thisisit.6954

thisisit.6954

Never found it funny, just stupid. If they are deliberately interfering with other peoples gameplay then sure, kick them out for a couple of days.

Posted by: Kako.1930

Kako.1930

It’s immature, but that’s to be expected from a game. Some people get their kicks from giving others a hard time.

If they’re trying to block you from getting your loot after an event (like at vinewrath) try clicking on the box to target it before pressing F, that might prevent you from accidentally using the portal instead.

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

That is something you can report them for.

And which report subject heading would you see fitting? Go check them out. None fit. And for good reason.

It’s really not reportable. Seeing as it was a players choice to enter it. And how would you even prove to a GM that it was malicious or trolling? I’ve accidentally put down a few portals myself in poor places. I shouldn’t get reported.

problem solved by – don’t enter portals at all unless you know who’s placing them. if they pop under you during a loot just wait.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I guess I would say that it was funny….

once upon a time.

The same joke invoking a minor inconvenience, told on a daily basis for a period of over three years ?

Not really funny any more IMO.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

And which report subject heading would you see fitting? Go check them out. None fit. And for good reason.

It’s really not reportable. Seeing as it was a players choice to enter it. And how would you even prove to a GM that it was malicious or trolling? I’ve accidentally put down a few portals myself in poor places. I shouldn’t get reported.

problem solved by – don’t enter portals at all unless you know who’s placing them. if they pop under you during a loot just wait.

The one where mesmers caused the Triple Headed Wurm to fail by placing portals on top of items so people couldn’t access them to complete the event, would fall under griefing.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: DavidGX.7240

DavidGX.7240

I’ll definitely be reporting this if I see it happening.

“Those who go mad are merely thoughtful souls who failed to reach any conclusions.”

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

The one where mesmers caused the Triple Headed Wurm to fail by placing portals on top of items so people couldn’t access them to complete the event, would fall under griefing.

There is no option for griefing but when in doubt report them for botting and scamming. As for not entering unkown portals, well duh!!! Of course if you see it you wait but I see it happen many times in EOTM where Commander places a bunch of blueprints down and says “build!!” People rush in to try and get siege up as quickly as possible just to have a troll mesmer drop a surprise portal there leading to the edge of the abyss (that’s why I don’t build anything there anymore). That is griefing plain and simple and should be reported.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

As has already been stated, there’s ways to circumvent troll portals.

No, not when the portal spawns just as you reach a chest. After a boss dies, not everyone’s graphics or sounds will give warning that a portal is imminent.

(Mind you, I think this is easily prevented if ANet wants to, by changing the [f] priorities, so that opening a chest happens before the portal.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Roguedemonhunter.9621

Roguedemonhunter.9621

Very bad form to do at a chest. Shame on you all.

They got me with this once -and only once -and I’m quite sure that my precursor would have been inside. (*scowls) Either that or that one time in wvw a steel chest popped from a random player but I had been in motion and could not quite get back and died beside it- only to run across entire map to find it long gone.

Anyway… that was inevitable… This is preventable.

Always stop to read before you click or hit F especially if you see some “mestard” doing this. The pink glow and sound fx of portal are unmistakable.

I have never misused either of my mesmer’s anywhere near a reward chest.

If you think this is amusing when there are literally folk running around in the game who have been playing since the start and rng has not yet favored them with a awesome precursor or straight up legendary drop from random boxes or reward chests then I believe there is something wrong with you…

And please think- It is exactly these sort of shenanigans that take a cool power – useful- fast- seemless ability and get it nerfed to kitten and back by developers.

It happened to City of Heroes Telleportation abilities shortly after that went f2p… cause that’s when the slight abuse of years before went positively rampant…

How would you like your portals to only work for teamates? Or only for players who click yes to a 2nd confirmation click to use the portal? Or only for teamates who click yes to 2nd confirmation to use the portal? Boy! What fun that would be…

In short- stop abusing it- we may loose it.

(edited by Roguedemonhunter.9621)

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

I dont think this trolling is that bad of a problem.

There is an F key and the portal prompt is a different color from the loot prompt.

Worse case scenario, individual can clink on the chest to bypass the portal.

well, these events might teach average person a lesson. Dont use random portals.

I am little torn on these points

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Everyone with a mesmer has portal trolled atleast once…

I did it to 14 omegas on a k-train in wvw, silly buggers walked off 3rd floor sm

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: Therodin.2970

Therodin.2970

You can’t ban people for something that a stupid player could be doing without malicious intent. A stupid mesmer could put a portal on the kegs at triple trouble because they think it would help people get back to the drop off point faster. A stupid mesmer could put portal on the jump pad in the hopes that it gets people back to teq faster. You can’t ban people for being stupid.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

When you report griefing, don’t use the ingame report tool, take screenshots (or, better, make a video, if you can) and mail support directly. You’d be surprised how often that works.

You can’t ban people for something that a stupid player could be doing without malicious intent. A stupid mesmer could put a portal on the kegs at triple trouble because they think it would help people get back to the drop off point faster. A stupid mesmer could put portal on the jump pad in the hopes that it gets people back to teq faster. You can’t ban people for being stupid.

Yep. But if this is not a single case, but someone keeps repeating this (or, even better, gets caught admitting to griefing on chat)…

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Therodin.2970

When you report griefing, don’t use the ingame report tool, take screenshots (or, better, make a video, if you can) and mail support directly. You’d be surprised how often that works.

Yep. But if this is not a single case, but someone keeps repeating this (or, even better, gets caught admitting to griefing on chat)…

Why in our lord mordremoths great green tyria would you suggest people go bother support with claims like this? They have so much more important things to do. I forgot my password like every single time that i accidentally click the password field and erase my saved password. Tickets like the one you are supporting are the reason it takes me like 3 days to get back in.

Posted by: dom.2748

dom.2748

Why in our lord mordremoths great green tyria would you suggest people go bother support with claims like this? They have so much more important things to do. I forgot my password like every single time that i accidentally click the password field and erase my saved password. Tickets like the one you are supporting are the reason it takes me like 3 days to get back in.

Tickets like what? Ones reporting griefers for griefing?

Therodin.2970

Yes, exactly like that. There is a report system in the game for exactly that reason. Don’t clog up support just because anet has decided they don’t care about griefing.

Posted by: dom.2748

dom.2748

Yes, exactly like that. There is a report system in the game for exactly that reason. Don’t clog up support just because anet has decided they don’t care about griefing.

Are you….are you messing with us? You have to be messing with us.

Please ignore this guy. Continue to report people who violate the ToS and be jerks to random players for their own amusement. And use any means needed. If support feels like it is getting too many tickets they’ll add it to the in-game report. Until then use whatever tools ARE available.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Who do you think the report in game goes to? In case you don’t know, the report in game goes to support. (Who else?)

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Tachyon.5897

Tachyon.5897

I find it rather very funny.

I’d love to see how long these people who’re cryingg about an innocent little prank would last in EVE Online.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I find it rather very funny.

I’d love to see how long these people who’re cryingg about an innocent little prank would last in EVE Online.

EVE & GW2 are designed completely differently. EVE is deliberately competitive and GW2 is deliberately non-competitive (in PvE anyhow). In EVE, you should expect to be trolled, lied to, and cheated (by some); in GW2, you should expect that cooperation is more likely.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

I used to love portal trolling in the main LA bank before Scarlet leveled it and putting the other end ontop of the vista south of it on a large ship’s mast. people would run in to use the bank, activate my portal instead, and end up ontop of the mast, then fall off it and face plant into the ground! Good times, sadly long gone from this game for me.

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

There is no option for griefing but when in doubt report them for botting and scamming. As for not entering unkown portals, well duh!!! Of course if you see it you wait but I see it happen many times in EOTM where Commander places a bunch of blueprints down and says “build!!” People rush in to try and get siege up as quickly as possible just to have a troll mesmer drop a surprise portal there leading to the edge of the abyss (that’s why I don’t build anything there anymore). That is griefing plain and simple and should be reported.

While I don’t support griefing of any kind. . . that’s sort of abusing the report system. Which could kick yourself in the butt if it gets noticed.

@Just a Flesh Wound – That’s a horrible thing. I can not begin to comprehend what kind of mindset it would take to sabotage and entire map purposely. Sadly though there is no “Griefing” subject heading when reporting. And honestly for something that dire I would almost insist Anet add it so it can be addressed.

On the other hand the fact that a slip of the hand or not paying attention for a split second can turn into putting a portal a bit too close to something (like a chest) and then you’d have 20+ people reporting a mesmer who was honestly not trying to do anything wrong.

It’s a hard situation either way, really.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

While I don’t support griefing of any kind. . . that’s sort of abusing the report system. Which could kick yourself in the butt if it gets noticed.

@Just a Flesh Wound – That’s a horrible thing. I can not begin to comprehend what kind of mindset it would take to sabotage and entire map purposely. Sadly though there is no “Griefing” subject heading when reporting. And honestly for something that dire I would almost insist Anet add it so it can be addressed.

On the other hand the fact that a slip of the hand or not paying attention for a split second can turn into putting a portal a bit too close to something (like a chest) and then you’d have 20+ people reporting a mesmer who was honestly not trying to do anything wrong.

It’s a hard situation either way, really.

An accidental portal misplacement reported by 20+ people on 1 occasion would not generate a patterned of behavior therefore would not be grounds for any form of punitive measure. The guy getting reported by 1 or 2 people on 20 different occasions would.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”