Mini Mr Sparkles sold for $700.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kuess.1842

Kuess.1842

Well tbh I was at Gamescom in Germany, and no Sparkles. The last anet employe didnt even know about these mr sparkles codes.

Posted by: Cletus Van Damme.2795

Cletus Van Damme.2795

Another one in Europe sold for $600 (buy out price) in 3 hours.

Magumer Ranger

Posted by: Jax.5106

Jax.5106

Everyone has a different goal in the game, for me it’s collecting mini’s. I feel really disappointed to hear that I won’t be able to complete my collection, no matter how hard I try, as I am almost 100% sure, the event where I would be able to get the Mr. Sparkles won’t be held anywhere near where I live.

So what am I left with? No goal, no point playing.

sad face

Attachments:

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Manoa.5897

Manoa.5897

They were given out at the start of the birthday bash today and I have a code in my possession that isn’t working. weeps

Yeah yeah… already contacted support. :P

Update: A player contacted me in game to tell me people were having a similar issue when trying to use the codes from Gamescom on NA accounts. (Mine came from the event in Seattle and my account is NA.) I was in the process of bringing that up with support when they updated my ticket to let me know that my code had actually been used by someone else. Now I’m in the process of trying to get them to make things right since my code was a dud.

Hopefully this was an isolated incident!

I’m having the SAME issue with the code I received last night at the Anniversary Bash. Sucks that it’s not an isolated incident, but I do have to admit that I’m somewhat relieved that I’m not alone in experiencing this issue. :-/

EDIT – I received a response from customer service that it turns out the code I received at the Anniversary Bash was a region-locked EU code and that they will have to apply the serial code manually in order to get it onto my account. Strawberry, let customer service know that there are people at the Seattle event that got EU codes, send them the serial number that you received at the event, and tell them what account you want it applied to and they should be able to help (I found it helpful to include a link to your post indicating others are having the problem, feel free to provide them a link to my post).

I’m a few steps ahead of ya!

I posted several times in this thread earlier today: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Mr-Sparkles-code-doesn-t-work/

I also updated my ticket when I stumbled across it to let them know that others were also getting an error when trying to redeem their codes. They still refuse to help me since they are convinced my code has already been used.

I’m noticing that I seem to be the only one getting this response, so maybe my code really was activated by someone else or support made a mistake and my ticket has a scarlet letter on it as a result? Either way, it wasn’t used by me or my boyfriend. As far as we know, the only people that had access to that particular code were the two of us and Anet staff. I can say with 100% certainty that we didn’t activate it… so who did? :/

I’ll probably try to get Gaile’s attention on Tuesday if support keeps telling me there isn’t anything they can do. Assuming they are correct about the code being activated, that means someone essentially stole my miniature. This is beyond frustrating and hearing that there isn’t anything that can be done is disheartening.

Ugh, so frustrating! I’m not sure if this helped my case out or not, but I made sure I mentioned the following:

-That I attended the GW2 Anniversary Bash yesterday and exactly what items were included in the goodie bag (to verify that I was actually at the Bash rather than someone who bought the code off the internet).

-Immediately upon receiving the Mr. Sparkles code card, I placed it in my wallet for safekeeping and nobody has seen the card since it has come into my possession.

-Since I received the code directly from ArenaNet, I assume the code has never been used before.

I just now got my mini from customer support. I’m not sure if it’ll help, but feel free to tell them that you know someone on the forums who received their code from the Anniversary Bash and encountered the same issue and to refer to my support ticket for how it was resolved (Incident Reference #130901-003270).

Chaos Spatulai [Chef] | Paragon City Elite [PCE]
Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Strawberry Nubcake.7163

Strawberry Nubcake.7163

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, my situation is a little more complicated since the first agent to respond to my ticket said the code had already been redeemed.

A picture of the card was sent with the ticket, but I’m totally willing to send my boyfriend to Bellevue with his pictures, swag, and super manly hot pink wristband if that’s what it takes to resolve this. :P (He’s going to kick my butt if he reads this!)

Edit: Removed my novel since people are probably sick of seeing a wall of text that says pretty much the same thing I have said before. Broken record mode! *waves white flag*

(edited by Strawberry Nubcake.7163)

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

its a mini pet, a thing anet adds with every single patch as if it was a new currency so hard to care about one mini when there’s hundreds other useless ones.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

how do you guys find collecting mini’s enjoyable?

Bad Elementalist

Jax.5106

How do you guys find collecting other stuff enjoyable? facepalm
Ok, let’s say anet added an exclusive weapon/armor/whatever turns you on – for codes, and made them account bound, so there was absolutely no way for you to get it. How would you feel?

(edited by Jax.5106)

Posted by: Strawberry Nubcake.7163

Strawberry Nubcake.7163

How do people find baseball or country music enjoyable?

I can’t really explain why I enjoy collecting minis. I just do. Friends have picked on me about it and said it’s probably a good thing that I never got into Pokemon since it probably would have been the end of me.

I actually parted with most of my series 1 minis recently so I could afford some other stuff. Those are pretty easy to reacquire later and I already have the title. The special edition ones are a different story and that’s why I’m upset about the situation with my code.

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

Another one in Europe sold for $600 (buy out price) in 3 hours.

Well.. That’s 100 down from the last one I suppose.
Now get in this thread Anet.. Pls.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

Treeline.3865

Wauw, this is really turning into an eBay bidding fest. I count 8 Mr. Sparkles at the moment, nothing below 40$ as lowest accepted bid.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

oh, it´s this thread just with a new name. Well, I can only react with a “fool and his money are easily parted”. There are quite a lot of true collector games out there, beats me why someone who likes these things 700 Dollar worth isn´t playing Skylanders, Magic, that new WoW ccg or something like that.

Treeline.3865

I agree. But a good company like Anet should have realized that this would end on eBay and make the poor fools part with their money.

Posted by: Kronos.3695

Kronos.3695

Yes, an official response from ArenaNet would be great.

Kronos Ledaloth, Leader of Bloodstone Keepers [BloS] - Far Shiverpeaks (EU)

YouTube Channel

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Is this different from the really rare ones in GW1? People would kill their mother for a mini kanaxai in gw1 as far as I remember.
Or for the mini frog, which was the rarest of all.

Treeline.3865

Is this different from the really rare ones in GW1? People would kill their mother for a mini kanaxai in gw1 as far as I remember.

Yes it is different. For a number of reasons too:

1st of all the frog: One of a kind, and only a Dev had it. Doesn’t count in my head, it wasn’t possible to get.

2nd: All minipets were tradeable. Even if some minipets were really rare they were still tradeable – And more importantly, tradeable within the game.

3rd: No collectible tab in GW1. While they were “collectibles” you didn’t have a place to see your collection in the same way as GW2. In GW1 you just had the minis. In GW2 it shows as something you are missing.

Posted by: Kronos.3695

Kronos.3695

Completly different.
On Guild Wars minis were part of the economy and none of them was bounded to someone until hall of monuments being introduced. On Guild Wars 2 we have a collector tab where we can see “our collection”, a collection that now could been useless for a kitten ed gap that we won’t be able to fill.

Kronos Ledaloth, Leader of Bloodstone Keepers [BloS] - Far Shiverpeaks (EU)

YouTube Channel

Posted by: Ichishi.9613

Ichishi.9613

Reminds me of good old days when I wanted to buy a Kanaxai mini in the middle of duping fest. Then bans came and price skyrocketed like 200 times.

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

Ok, let’s say anet added an exclusive weapon/armor/whatever turns you on – for codes, and made them account bound, so there was absolutely no way for you to get it. How would you feel?

I would move on because it doesn’t have any effect on me whatsoever.

The self entitlement of the majority of the people here is overwhelming.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Cosmetic items were supposed to befunding this game since the beginning. If you can’t afford them, you simply can’t have them, and it’s perfectly fine because it doesn’t prevent you from playing the game in any way. Having a luxury item is not something you are entitled to. You are entitled to having mandatory items, like exotics, which you can get through many means within the game.

(And you obviously can’t afford them if you complain in topics like this instead of buying them for 600 or 60000000 or whatever price they are sold for)

Jax.5106

Cosmetic items were supposed to befunding this game since the beginning. If you can’t afford them, you simply can’t have them, and it’s perfectly fine because it doesn’t prevent you from playing the game in any way. Having a luxury item is not something you are entitled to. You are entitled to having mandatory items, like exotics, which you can get through many means within the game.

(And you obviously can’t afford them if you complain in topics like this instead of buying them for 600 or 60000000 or whatever price they are sold for)

Please tell me how would I be “befunding this game” buy buying a card code from some random person not associated with ArenaNet? As far as I know it’s against ToS.

AntiGw.9367

Please tell me how would I be “befunding this game” buy buying a card code from some random person not associated with ArenaNet? As far as I know it’s against ToS.

You are “befunding” this game by buying the game card, which in turn was bought from Arena.net by the other parties for promotional reasons. Arena.net gets money or other stuff from those parties.

Jax.5106

You are “befunding” this game by buying the game card, which in turn was bought from Arena.net by the other parties for promotional reasons. Arena.net gets money or other stuff from those parties.

You don’t buy those cards, they are given for free at events. If you can’t be bothered to read the whole thread, please don’t be bothered to reply at all.

AntiGw.9367

You don’t buy those cards, they are given for free at events. If you can’t be bothered to read the whole thread, please don’t be bothered to reply at all.

Your definition of “buy” and “free” seems to be a little off.

And this thread is about “omg they are not letting me have that mini because I can’t afford to go to that event or buy it later from people that could”.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Whoever paid that much must feel kind of dumb now that they are on ebay for as low as $125 now.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I now know how to fund next year’s PAX trip!

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Sorry, but, you’re totally wrong example being that if I buy the game from ANET it is WELL WRITTEN that I CANNOT resell it as stated in the GW2 EULA same goes for items purchased, unless, explicitly told/indicated that you could do so, read the game rules, I do.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

AntiGw.9367

Sorry, but, you’re totally wrong example being that if I buy the game from ANET it is WELL WRITTEN that I CANNOT resell it as stated in the GW2 EULA same goes for items purchased, unless, explicitly told/indicated that you could do so, read the game rules, I do.

Right, people complaining in this topic are doing so because they are concerned about Arena.nets intellectual property /rolleyes

Arena.net has a working legal department. Let them handle any possible infractions if there are any.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

You’re not very sharp, are you? Because what you said has nothing to do with the issue in this thread.

People are complaining because they can afford it, it’s just that there are no means for alot of people to get it. If I pay $2000 to go Germany to get that code, NONE OF MY CASH went to ANet in doing so. If I lay $700 on eBay for Mini-Sparkles, Not a single cent I own went to Anet in doing so. Unfortunately for me, I live in Australia and we don’t even get Cons or big companies coming over here, so I’m largely over the whole thing simply because more likely than not I’ll never get one anyway.

I can guarantee you, majority of the people who want a Mini Sparkles will be able to afford it if they released it in the store. And honestly, that’s something that LoL did very well. Alot of their gaming con content drew heaps of issues from people, so what they did, was they made _______ code available at the con. People who went were able to get it for free, but people who couldn’t go for any number of reasons could buy it from the cash store. Then, after that convention weekend, the content would disappear forever. If they did something similar, at least people have a chance of getting the dam thing.

ANet by no means needs to copy other companies, but they could learn a couple of things here and there, especially if they work.

I ? Karkas.

(edited by Seven Star Stalker.1740)

AntiGw.9367

You’re not very sharp, are you? Because what you said has nothing to do with the issue in this thread.

People are complaining because they can afford it, it’s just that there are no means for alot of people to get it. If I pay $2000 to go Germany to get that code, NONE OF MY CASH went to ANet in doing so. If I lay $700 on eBay for Mini-Sparkles, Not a single cent I own went to Anet in doing so. Unfortunately for me, I live in Australia and we don’t even get Cons or big companies coming over here, so I’m largely over the whole thing simply because more likely than not I’ll never get one anyway.

I can guarantee you, majority of the people who want a Mini Sparkles will be able to afford it if they released it in the store. And honestly, that’s something that LoL did very well. Alot of their gaming con content drew heaps of issues from people, so what they did, was they made _______ code available at the con. People who went were able to get it for free, but people who couldn’t go for any number of reasons could buy it from the cash store. Then, after that convention weekend, the content would disappear forever. If they did something similar, at least people have a chance of getting the dam thing.

ANet by no means needs to copy other companies, but they could learn a couple of things here and there, especially if they work.

You are like that Dontaine guy on youtube…

Money doesn’t have to go directly into Arena.net’s pockets to benefit them. Arena.net got other stuff for the mini, which they apparently think is enough. If it’s not, it’s up to their legal department.

If you can’t get that mini for whatever reason, you are simply not the target audience for it.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Money doesn’t have to go directly into Arena.net’s pockets to benefit them. Arena.net got other stuff for the mini, which they apparently think is enough. If it’s not, it’s up to their legal department.

If you can’t get that mini for whatever reason, you are simply not the target audience for it.

I don’t know who that is, but I do disagree only on your last line there.

I don’t think it’s a matter of target audience, because people are saying they’ve seen it at two different cons in two different countries. If Mr Sparkles was targeted at the German/European player base.. Why give it away at an American cons if their enot the target market for that same Mini? Obviously this is either a) their flagship product or b) they’re too lazy to make a new one for a different target audience.

And again, alot of the audience who’s getting the mini are just.. Really in the right place at the right time. There’s no announcement from ANet about their presence at cons and the stuff they’re giving away, at least not on this site which in a way is kinda awkward being this their own site. .-.

I ? Karkas.

Treeline.3865

I’m sorry but I have to also disagree. Whatever point you’re trying to make, you are not making.
When we are litterally complaining on forum that we can’t throw our cakitten Anet because it’s not in the gemstore I see absolutely no reason why we should not be their target audience. They are a company. Companies want to make money. Simple right?
I think I get what you are trying to argue though; They got a bit more attention at Gamescon/PAX because of the minis… Except no one knew the minipet would be released there. And with the exception of earning 700$ from eBay those visitors would not have been less happy have they been given a gemcard, some exotic weapon or other freebies that we have access to too. There is absolutely no reason to make the pet exclusive.

AntiGw.9367

I’m sorry but I have to also disagree. Whatever point you’re trying to make, you are not making.
When we are litterally complaining on forum that we can’t throw our cakitten Anet because it’s not in the gemstore I see absolutely no reason why we should not be their target audience. They are a company. Companies want to make money. Simple right?
I think I get what you are trying to argue though; They got a bit more attention at Gamescon/PAX because of the minis… Except no one knew the minipet would be released there. And with the exception of earning 700$ from eBay those visitors would not have been less happy have they been given a gemcard, some exotic weapon or other freebies that we have access to too. There is absolutely no reason to make the pet exclusive.

They released it at the con because the con wanted to be popular for offering cool stuff to its visitors. Exclusive stuff helps with that. So these cons apparently made an offer Arena.net couldn’t refuse. You don’t know what they got for it (in money or promotion), but I assure you it was more than enough (comparable to selling it in gem store), or they wouldn’t do it.

If you don’t go to these cons, either by yourself or just to get the mini, you are not the intended audience for those minis.

And since they are offered on ebay for a million galactic credits, you can buy them on ebay since you won’t go to the con yourself. You don’t have the credits? Well, sucks. Some people do, and they’ll get the minis.

Manoa.5897

They released it at the con because the con wanted to be popular for offering cool stuff to its visitors. Exclusive stuff helps with that. So these cons apparently made an offer Arena.net couldn’t refuse. You don’t know what they got for it (in money or promotion), but I assure you it was more than enough (comparable to selling it in gem store), or they wouldn’t do it.

I attended the Anniversary Bash…it was a separate private event held by ArenaNet at a nearby hotel that was running concurrently with PAX. PAX badges were not required to get into the GW2 event. Since this was a separate event and it was not connected with PAX, I highly doubt PAX “apparently made an offer Arena.net couldn’t refuse.”

I can’t speak about Gamescom (since I didn’t attend).

Henge of Denravi

AntiGw.9367

Whatever, that makes no difference.

Treeline.3865

It makes all the difference. You are making empty arguments with fictional scenarios about Anet actually getting something from handing out the minis.

I get it. They wanted to give something nice to those visiting their team. Didn’t have to be exclusive. In anyway. They could even just have handed them out there as a preview, and released the minipet later. Obviously still hoping its the case.

Posted by: Avatara.1042

$600…wow.

Wish I had a few of them.

AntiGw.9367

It makes all the difference. You are making empty arguments with fictional scenarios about Anet actually getting something from handing out the minis.

I get it. They wanted to give something nice to those visiting their team. Didn’t have to be exclusive. In anyway. They could even just have handed them out there as a preview, and released the minipet later. Obviously still hoping its the case.

They did get something from handing out the minis. It may have not been money, but it has been something they thought was worth it. Like publicity.

It didn’t have to be exclusive, but it didn’t have to be non-exclusive either. There is nothing wrong with exclusive cosmetic items. They are cosmetic.

Posted by: FourthVariety.5463

FourthVariety.5463

if ArenaNet thinks it is getting out of hand, they could always reverse the process, ask the players present for their character’s name and sent an account bound minipet by mail. Problem solved.

If you think the $600 minipet is the weirdest thing to come out of the gamescom event, then think again. Ask Martin Kerstein about a toaster, a shirt and an RNG called the cakefairy.

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

I always wanted the murlock pet from the first Blizzcon but never got it. I got over it.

Treeline.3865

They did get something from handing out the minis. It may have not been money, but it has been something they thought was worth it. Like publicity.

It didn’t have to be exclusive, but it didn’t have to be non-exclusive either. There is nothing wrong with exclusive cosmetic items. They are cosmetic.

“Publicity is the deliberate attempt to manage the public’s perception of a subject” – Wiki

I don’t see how an exclusive minipet would get them publicity in any way. I don’t see anything they could have gained from an exclusive minipet besides allowing people to make a profit (eBay) and taking a dump on their collectors.

I’m guessing your definition of cosmetic is pretty vs. serving a purpose. Okay. You got me. They serve no purpose. They are pretty. And that’s okay, I don’t mind (that much) not having it. But at the very least I still mind the gap in my collection. Cosmetic or not, letting every player see an empty spot for a minipet that can’t be obtained is just a slap in the face everytime you open your collectible tab. The very least they could do was to remove the slot for the mini (Make it a seperate category) as it is not obtainable in anyway through the game which I play.

But then again, maybe they should make an achievement too, something like;

Gamescon Attendee:
Flew 5.000 miles to wave at an ArenaNet employee
Suggested locations: Germany
0/1 tiers completed
Points this tier: 200 (Hard achievement, points as appropriate)

AntiGw.9367

“Publicity is the deliberate attempt to manage the public’s perception of a subject” – Wiki

I don’t see how an exclusive minipet would get them publicity in any way. I don’t see anything they could have gained from an exclusive minipet besides allowing people to make a profit (eBay) and taking a dump on their collectors.

It gives people another incentive to visit the con, whether it’s organized by Arena.net or a third party. Next time a con happens, people are more likely to attend.

Cosmetic or not, letting every player see an empty spot for a minipet that can’t be obtained is just a slap in the face everytime you open your collectible tab.

It’s not a slap in the face, you need to stop overreacting. Teach yourself that you can’t have everything you want, if your parents haven’t.

Treeline.3865

It gives people another incentive to visit the con, whether it’s organized by Arena.net or a third party. Next time a con happens, people are more likely to attend.

And you don’t think that could have been done without stepping on a few players in the process? They did not have to do a minipet to give that incentive.

It’s not a slap in the face, you need to stop overreacting. Teach yourself that you can’t have everything you want, if your parents haven’t.

You are not me, so obviously you don’t feel the same way. Surprise. Several players have stepped in here to say how disappointed they are, how they hate to see they can’t complete their collection anymore. Some people even sold their collection. But im overreacting when I see my collection and feel slapped, ok. It’s still how I feel about it. Teach yourself to accept other people feel different about things?

Seven Star Stalker.1740

It doesn’t matter anymore, I guess. It’s already over and clearly ANet doesn’t care either way.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

If they’d look nice or some part of them would look nice when mixed with something etc, then I’d be kitten ed. Otherwise I couldn’t care less. I really don’t see how this mini sparkles is any cool at all. A dull looking robot. If it was very easy to aquire, very few would find it interesting.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

Seven Star Stalker.1740

If they’d look nice or some part of them would look nice when mixed with something etc, then I’d be kitten ed. Otherwise I couldn’t care less. I really don’t see how this mini sparkles is any cool at all. A boring siege golem robot.

It’s Zojja’s personal golem. Whilst its not the most exciting thing, it’s pretty nice to have aesthetically if you like Zojja.

I ? Karkas.

Manoa.5897

Exclusive in-game items are not uncommon when it comes to gaming shows. These items are intended to resonate with the fanbase and get fans excited enough to pay to come to see their favorite games at these shows/conventions. Last year’s town clothes obviously didn’t get nearly this much discussion. This year’s mini code has clearly resonated with the fanbase.

Some codes are exclusive only to these shows and are never offered again (like in the case of League of Legends skins). Others are offered exclusively at these shows for a timeperiod, then offered to the fanbase in some other way (like City of Heroes costume codes, which were offered at gaming conventions and then offered many years later in the cash shop). It’s too early to tell which route ArenaNet will take.

Henge of Denravi

(edited by Manoa.5897)

Posted by: sinderhella.5680

sinderhella.5680

They should put these “exclusive limited release” minis in their own category, and they should not count towards achievement points. Problem solved.

Sinderhella – 80 Thief | Magoria – 80 Necromancer
When a thief tells you ’’L2P’’, they mean this.
Solider Bee ~ Sinister Swarm

Manoa.5897

They should put these “exclusive limited release” minis in their own category, and they should not count towards achievement points. Problem solved.

None of the limited-release miniatures (whether from Living Stories or from convention promotions) are required for the miniature achievements. And those limited-release minis that are not required for the achievements are already in their own “Mini Pets (Special)” category.

Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Cinnamon Goddess.3869

Cinnamon Goddess.3869

I know, but the point I was trying to make was that Anet should’ve learned a lesson or two about exclusivity in GW1. That 1) people don’t like it, and 2) it can lead to some serious economical disproportions…

But thats just the thing though.
They DID learn, and therefore made them non-tradeable.
People actually DO like having exclusive rewards.

More people hate it then like it. The minority shouldn’t get to throw exclusive items in the face of the majority. Anet shouldn’t reward this type of behavior either. I think the best thing is allow everyone reasonable opportunity to acquire everything in the game if they can and to the best of their abilities. Those that got lucky will still be happy to get a break from either the grind or cost of obtaining it the hard way. In the Anet needs to make as many people as happy as possible and giving special preference to the few is a horrible mistake to their business. It is fine that those items are account bound to prevent gouging but that isn’t enough all by itself.