Mini Mr Sparkles sold for $700.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

Those that got lucky will still be happy to get a break from either the grind or cost of obtaining it the hard way. In the Anet needs to make as many people as happy as possible and giving special preference to the few is a horrible mistake to their business.

Sums it up for me. It’s not like anyone are opposed to freebies for the ones participating in Anets events. But not like this.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

You are not me, so obviously you don’t feel the same way. Surprise. Several players have stepped in here to say how disappointed they are, how they hate to see they can’t complete their collection anymore. Some people even sold their collection. But im overreacting when I see my collection and feel slapped, ok. It’s still how I feel about it. Teach yourself to accept other people feel different about things?

Describing someone not giving or selling you something to which you have no claim of entitlement in any way, metaphorically or literally, as a physical attack is hyperbole. Pretty much the definition of an overreaction. The fact that you feel that way does not make it not an overreaction. It just means that your feelings are an overreaction.

Posted by: Jax.5106

Jax.5106

You are not me, so obviously you don’t feel the same way. Surprise. Several players have stepped in here to say how disappointed they are, how they hate to see they can’t complete their collection anymore. Some people even sold their collection. But im overreacting when I see my collection and feel slapped, ok. It’s still how I feel about it. Teach yourself to accept other people feel different about things?

Describing someone not giving or selling you something to which you have no claim of entitlement in any way, metaphorically or literally, as a physical attack is hyperbole. Pretty much the definition of an overreaction. The fact that you feel that way does not make it not an overreaction. It just means that your feelings are an overreaction.

I’m sorry, but what’s your point? Assuming he’s overreacting, that doesn’t change the fact that what ArenaNet did with Mr Sparkles is unfair to many players, and ruined their fun, overreaction or not. This is a game, it’s meant to be fun.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

That’s not so bad.. the first spectral tiger mounts in WoW (rare from the collectible card game) were sold for over $2000, and still today, years later, they’re still going for over $500. Not bad for what was basically a reskin of the regular night elf mount..

http://www.wowwiki.com/Reins_of_the_Swift_Spectral_Tiger

I’m guessing Anet will keep giving them away on events, sweepstakes and the like (assuming they want to keep it event exclusive and don’t add it to the game in other ways, like on the gem store), which will probably take the price down in the future anyway.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Treeline.3865

So what I get from AntiGw and Ashen is
-If I feel sad in any way that I can’t complete my mini collection anymore, then I’m overreacting.
-If I feel like the minipet should be obtainable, if nothing else then expensively through gemstore, then I’m entitled and my expectations are unreasionable.

Well, it sure aint easy not being entirely satisfied. Am I allowed any kind of feelings toward this minipet or would that be an overreaction?

But at least AntiGw got one thing right. It IS a luxury item and it DOES need to be treated like it. So where do I put my gems?

(edited by Treeline.3865)

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Mr. Sparkles thanks to a long time friend.
Now my collection is up to date but I still dont agree with giving away exclusive in-game items via conventions.

I hope our suggestions are taken into consideration in future conventions, what I would consider acceptable is maybe a plush doll, gw2 t-shirt etc anything that is not an actual item in game.
Or they can still give it away but make that item then available in gem store for ones that could not make it to a convention.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I’m sorry, but what’s your point? Assuming he’s overreacting, that doesn’t change the fact that what ArenaNet did with Mr Sparkles is unfair to many players, and ruined their fun, overreaction or not. This is a game, it’s meant to be fun.

The point is that it’s an overreaction, and Anet should not start catering to overreactions. I’m sorry it ruined your “fun”, but them’s the breaks.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

So what I get from AntiGw and Ashen is
-If I feel sad in any way that I can’t complete my mini collection anymore, then I’m overreacting.
-If I feel like the minipet should be obtainable, if nothing else then expensively through gemstore, then I’m entitled and my expectations are unreasionable.

Well, it sure aint easy not being entirely satisfied. Am I allowed any kind of feelings toward this minipet or would that be an overreaction?

But at least AntiGw got one thing right. It IS a luxury item and it DOES need to be treated like it. So where do I put my gems?

Feeling sad about it is not overreacting. It’s perfectly fine to want things you can’t have.

Coming on the forums and demanding those things, and talking about slaps in the face and making topics like this one is overreacting, because luxury item.\

edit: ok the OP was just asking a question, but you get the point.

Posted by: Andrew.4506

Andrew.4506

I don’t mind spending real money on minis though. For the rytlock I bought the collector’s edition. For the HOM minis I actually went out and bought the GW1 complete collection from gamestop and am slowly working my way towards the minis. This is the first mini made so that the only way I can get it is ebay. Like I said, I don’t mind spending money on minis, but before all that money has gone towards the developers/publishers of GW1 and GW2. The idea of it going to RandomEbayGuy693 bothers me. Maybe it shouldn’t, but I personally feel like anet could have handled it differently and it’s a tad bit upsetting that right now my only option is a 3rd party RMT site.

For a year now every mini has been obtainable via gameplay. All of a sudden that’s not true any more and it sucks pretty hard. I really don’t understand this decision at all and I really wish someone from PR would realize that is does cause alienation in it’s users. It certainly makes me not want to spend any more money on minis.

Posted by: Gasoline.2570

Gasoline.2570

I think it’d be better if anyone who is missing only this one from their collection, and wants it very badly, would just leave the game. Maybe anet will get the hint people don’t like the system. Or you just save a lot of money.

It’s still a win win situation.

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

AntiGw.9367

I think it’d be better if anyone who is missing only this one from their collection, and wants it very badly, would just leave the game. Maybe anet will get the hint people don’t like the system. Or you just save a lot of money.

It’s still a win win situation.

Why would anyone leave because of the mini? That’s absurd.

It would be better if everyone would realize that the best thing in life, and the most underappreciated and taken for granted is… toilet paper.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

For a year now every mini has been obtainable via gameplay. All of a sudden that’s not true any more and it sucks pretty hard. I really don’t understand this decision at all and I really wish someone from PR would realize that is does cause alienation in it’s users. It certainly makes me not want to spend any more money on minis.

That’s odd, because I can understand it quite clearly.

Companies have been offering exclusive trinkets and knick-knacks for years to encourage people to attend conventions. It’s part advertising, and ironically enough, part gift as a thank you for fans that attend.

That you are feeling “alienated”, or somehow dismissed or insulted because of an “empty space” in your collections tab, I’m really not sure is something Arena.net can allow themselves to worry about.

Honestly, if that’s all it took to completely ruin your fun, something tells me it was only a matter of WHEN you would feel this way rather than IF. You would have found something to be bitterly upset about.

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

They should give out exclusive legendary gsword skin instead.

Andrew.4506

They should Fate. I think it would be hilarious how much uproar there would be about an event only legendary.

AntiGw.9367

They should Fate. I think it would be hilarious how much uproar there would be about an event only legendary.

No thanks. I’d rather listen to Vogon poetry than the resulting complaining.

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

I personal dont care that much about minis,but it really unfair for people that are collecting them all are forced to use Ebay to complete there collection :0

Posted by: Kronos.3695

Kronos.3695

I personal dont care that much about minis,but it really unfair for people that are collecting them all are forced to use Ebay to complete there collection :0

Nobody is enforced here.
Maybe, we’re wondering to don’t buy any mini on gemstore in the future.

Kronos Ledaloth, Leader of Bloodstone Keepers [BloS] - Far Shiverpeaks (EU)

YouTube Channel

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

All I need to know, is if it will be available in the future, without the need to fly off to some convention and hope it’s given away there (again). Simple reason being I don’t want to keep collecting miniatures (a goal I had since release, to collect them all) if my collection are going to be forever broken, by what I consider to be a stupid decision, to give away exclusive miniatures to convention attendees. Yes, I call it stupid, because this is breaking a collection, there’s a gap in the Collectibles and I sure don’t want a broken collection. I want to stop collecting entirely if my collection is going to be broken, which means I will not continue to spend real money on Gems in order to purchase miniatures, and as such, this is why I find it to be stupid on their end, since that’s less money for ArenaNet and the game. It’s not stupid for me granted, as I can rather spend said money on something outside of Guild Wars 2, or perhaps in another game.

Without information though, I will still stop buying miniatures, as I ain’t going to keep putting money into collecting something that has no value other than to myself (as the time-limited Gem Store ones are always Account Bound) and once I stop buying these upcoming miniatures, even if they were to release Mr. Sparkles down the line somewhere to the masses, I have already broken my collection by not buying other time-limited ones, and as such, are no longer collecting, the collection will be broken in one way or another. Again, that’s no money going from me, to ArenaNet.

Didn’t they learn anything from the Guild Wars 2 logo t-shirt town clothes? There was already quite an annoyed crowd from those. Could’ve sworn they even stated they wouldn’t repeat that mistake again.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Megis.9264

Megis.9264

Right now I’m seeing Sparkles popping up on ebay, left and right. Most of these sales have the same picture, the same description and are sold by the very same person. Checking that person’s history lists that (s)he has sold several before. Either (s)he’s scamming the people buying the codes, or (s)he actually got more cards than they should have gotten, and is making quite a profit.

Did someone drop the bag?

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Currently $77. Did a bunch more get released, or is the demand dying down?

Megis.9264

They’re listed as PAX codes, I’m guessing someone just grabbed a fistful. Good going, Anet, making someone else a profit at the cost of your own customers.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

They could’ve easily solved this by making it free for attendees and selling it at the gem store. If you were there, you don’t have to pay for it. If you weren’t, so long as you can cough up the $$$ it’s yours. Anet makes no losses.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

They could’ve easily solved this by making it free for attendees and selling it at the gem store. If you were there, you don’t have to pay for it. If you weren’t, so long as you can cough up the $$$ it’s yours. Anet makes no losses.

^ That’s the approach I would have taken too. It’s the most fair and reasonable approach.

And yeah, if ANet had given out a special Legendary skin for Eternity at a convention, I wonder if the outrage here would be even higher, seeing as how most players don’t care about minis, but DO care about unique skins.

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

And yeah, if ANet had given out a special Legendary skin for Eternity at a convention, I wonder if the outrage here would be even higher, seeing as how most players don’t care about minis, but DO care about unique skins.

This is so true. If ArenaNet had given away a Legendary-equal flashy weapon skin with special effects to the those that attended, the outcry would shoot through the roof from those who weren’t there, you can probably take that to the bank. That too would in no way be required to play the game though, right?

I think I’m coming to the conclusion that no matter if they do make plans to redeem this “issue” by making Mr. Sparkles available through, e.g., the Gem Store, that I will still stop collecting miniatures and just sell of my collection, and rather than spending real money on Gems, take that money elsewhere. The damage is done for me, I honestly don’t trust them one bit right now, that they won’t repeat the same thing again with a future collectible miniature.

Off-topic; Somewhat expecting that the WvW season achievements will have something silly like “your server finished in first place”, making it impossible for some players on servers that’s just not good enough for that, to attain it. I’m perhaps a bit too negative towards the game lately, but I wouldn’t put it past them. I really dislike a lot of the things they have done lately to the game, even if a lot of it has been pretty darn great too.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

AntiGw.9367

The damage is done for me, I honestly don’t trust them one bit right now, that they won’t repeat the same thing again with a future collectible miniature.

I’m sure they will repeat the same thing with a future miniature or another item.

There are plenty of in-game exclusive items that you also can’t get if you miss an event, and there will also be more of those.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

The damage is done for me, I honestly don’t trust them one bit right now, that they won’t repeat the same thing again with a future collectible miniature.

I’m sure they will repeat the same thing with a future miniature or another item.

There are plenty of in-game exclusive items that you also can’t get if you miss an event, and there will also be more of those.

And if they know the ways around, across, above and below it, the results they get from their playerbase are just aswell fine enough.

I ? Karkas.

Treeline.3865

Feeling sad about it is not overreacting. It’s perfectly fine to want things you can’t have.

Coming on the forums and demanding those things, and talking about slaps in the face and making topics like this one is overreacting, because luxury item.\

So I can feel sad about it, I just can’t write about it? Come on. The guy above leaving the game, then you can talk about overreaction. I just voice my concern that I don’t think the whole scenario with the minipet makes sense, and that they should actually make it available somehow. If I’m entitled for doing so, then so be it.

AntiGw.9367

So I can feel sad about it, I just can’t write about it? Come on. The guy above leaving the game, then you can talk about overreaction. I just voice my concern that I don’t think the whole scenario with the minipet makes sense, and that they should actually make it available somehow. If I’m entitled for doing so, then so be it.

If after two pages you still don’t see the difference between “I wish I could get that mini /sadface” and “ermagerd it’s a slap in the face they should give us the option to get the mini!!!111”, I think I’m wasting my time here.

Andrew.4506

Maybe not a “slap in the face”, but there is definitely some emotion that is brought up when I go out of my way during each opportunity to get every mini possible. When my play time is structured around methods for getting minis I don’t already have it’s not just “/sadface”, it’s more like… like I was playing a game and I thought I understood the rules(that minis were a collection that I could keep up to date and completed), and then the rules change overnight. It’s gone from a thing that I had to either grind out gold for, do challenging content, or switch to a larger guild so I could get commendations and changed in to a “randomly attend all our events in case we have an unannounced mini available there”.

Like I said, not a slap in the face like arena net came up to me personally and was all “screw you, let me poop in your cheerios”. But it has gone from difficult, challenging and time consuming in game collecting to something that I just am not physically able to do because of my financial situation… and it sucks man.

Posted by: TheJokester.4672

TheJokester.4672

2. If you are going to give someone a prize for attending a certain event, don’t make it bound to that person so other people can at least buy it

Please no. Such a rare item would very likely become one of the most expensive items in the game, and as much as our lead ‘economist’ denies it, luxury items do cause inflation, a lot in fact. Top shelf items will always be reached for, people reach for them by accelerating the rate at which they create currenct, creating currency causes inflation. Additionally, setting that higher bar in the first place invariably causes sellers to to parse their sales in it’s direction, because buyer perceptions have changed. A double whammy on the economy.

for someone to sell it for a certain price, someone else already has to have that amount of money. New money just doesn’t appear out of nowhere. And I do want Mr Sparkles, but kitten me for not having 1000 pounds to fly to Pax right?

Tell that to the legendaries, nobody had that amount of money when they were first posted, even the majority of the sellers, some do now and more will given time. Why? There are no urgency costs in GW2, and no limitations on seller resources, including space. It isn’t feasible in a real economy to put something up for sale and expect inflation to catch up, you will end up losing more money and time than it was worth, but GW2 does not mimic a real economy enough for that to be true, especially because…

New money appears out of nowhere whenever people play. The creation of currency is limited by minting in the real world, no such system in the game.

And I’m sorry if that sounded brash, I don’t mean that I think you or anyone else does not deserve this and shouldn’t be able to get it, I just don’t want this to damage the economy. In reality I just wish ANet would stop doing stupid things like this in the first place.

This ^ can we get a dev to take the time to employ this person? Please c’mon I’ll pay you to hire them 800 a month sound good? some one fix this broke —- game remove rng because well it’s just kittened and it will also drop the freaking price of stuff thats over 700g ty and as for event items I can some what understand but make em sellable not account bound there are many that attended them and have quit because you don’t listen to us or maybe u do but then you play rock paper scissors until some one wins and u just say ignore it or you already forgot.

Posted by: TheJokester.4672

TheJokester.4672

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Mr. Sparkles thanks to a long time friend.
Now my collection is up to date but I still dont agree with giving away exclusive in-game items via conventions.

I hope our suggestions are taken into consideration in future conventions, what I would consider acceptable is maybe a plush doll, gw2 t-shirt etc anything that is not an actual item in game.
Or they can still give it away but make that item then available in gem store for ones that could not make it to a convention.

Here is what anet will learn and do after seeing all this “Okay guys next convention we will hand out promo cards for the next playable race and that will be the only way you can get it.” then people sell it for $7,000 or more

Treeline.3865

If after two pages you still don’t see the difference between “I wish I could get that mini /sadface” and “ermagerd it’s a slap in the face they should give us the option to get the mini!!!111”, I think I’m wasting my time here.

Okay, I’m sorry; I feel slightly disappointed that we do not have any way of getting the minipet without eBay. Is that better?

Seriously. You get my point. Whether it’s killing me or brought up a slight touch of disappointment is not really relevant. I don’t like that we can’t get that minipet.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Wondering if we could maybe get a response on this please Anet? Is this a convention / fan site only give away Mini? Might he be fore sale in the gem store at some point?

Regardless of the answer I think a lot of us would simply like one at this point. It’s not that we feel owed an answer but it would be nice.

Treeline.3865

Regardless of the answer I think a lot of us would simply like one at this point. It’s not that we feel owed an answer but it would be nice.

Pretty much this. Whether it’s the answer we want or not, a simple answer would as always be nice.

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

There is a long history of them doing this and it’s never changed and I don’t see it changing now or ever. In GW1 you had Panda’s, Destroyers, and lots of others. But the gem store would be a wonderful place for them to make available to everyone something nice.

Treeline.3865

Did anyone wonder about the new Mini Risen Hylek yet?…………

Treeline.3865

Ah, I found out The Risen Hylek is a Tequatl drop. I can’t help but think they are going to pull another Mini Mr. Sparkles now, every time I see new “special” minipets

Posted by: Ikoh.7280

Ikoh.7280

Still asking for an official answer, whatever it is, thanks.

Megis.9264

Hope they hand out more Sparkles at the eurogamer expo.

Posted by: TRON.1085

TRON.1085

Hope they hand out more Sparkles at the eurogamer expo.

Don’t bet on it, when we went in 2012 I think it was, all the european and american expo’s or conventions got loads of game swag and free stuff including charr plushes.

Anet got to eurogamer and handed out water and ncsoft note pads and pens….they had nothing left from all the other game shows, they didn’t really like answering any questions by that point either, they looked fed up and just wanted to get eurogamer over with. Probably was their last convention before flying back to america.

Posted by: Ikoh.7280

Ikoh.7280

Could we have an official answer on this matter please? I feel like I’m flooding this thread with the same question but it’s been about a month since we have asked for this and still no news.

AntiGw.9367

Sometimes, a lack of answer is an answer.

Posted by: Shabbynovel.1072

Shabbynovel.1072

Dear Arenanet,

Apologies for this little bit of thread necromancy, but after a few months of pining I’d like to ask: please can you make Mini Mr Sparkles available again?

Somehow I missed the memo that I could get him a few years ago at Christmas just by buying gems, or else I would already be the proud owner of the sparkly golem.

Laurels, gems, gold, I don’t really mind what currency I have to farm to get him; I’d just really like to be able to work towards it, and make my little asura’s dreams of complete golem mastery a reality.

Yours sincerely,
A golem fan.

Posted by: Ilmatar.6709

Ilmatar.6709

This Mr. Sparkles was present from Anet, after we had bought specific amount of gems to the game with real money or with gem cards.

It was quite long time ago, when Anet still gave presents to those people who had spend real money for the game. Then they change system later for that log-in rewards.

Attachments:

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Maybe they’ll make a similar offer this year around Christmas. People should have blown through their HoT pre-purchase gems by then.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Adding another vote for bringing it back. I’ve got mine already but it’s been a long time since it was last available and a lot of people have joined since so it’d be good to give them the opportunity.

The previous method – giving it to everyone who bought gems with real money in a set time period – seemed to go over well so maybe that could be repeated.

(As an added bonus and incentive to buy gems with cash might help the gems/gold exchange rate.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”