Mordrem Invasion Update: 11 September 12:30 PM

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nemui.6753

Nemui.6753

please try to avoid this kind of “i have to tag as many events as possible in order to maximize my rewards and therefore i will leech off other player’s work”-meta event in the future, thank you.

Posted by: UncrushablePigeon.8760

UncrushablePigeon.8760

1) only 4 days to gather blooms with an inadequate reward system, expecting players to grind like crazy if going for 450 blooms – if you’re lucky not to get dc’d – people just cannot play that much, I want the Selfless Potion but I’m so stressed about having to play every hour during the entire day for 3 days to get it.

2) the break during the events

3) the cost of the items is too high with the low amount of blooms given + new players often don’t have 10 g lying around

4) enemies not scaling up and dying so fast you can’t even hit them

5) because the rewards are so low, it encourages a tag & run approach so that you can get as many blooms as possible

Quoting King of Aces (https://www.reddit.com/user/KingofAces) on reddit:

“Its everything they talked about not wanting to teach players…
Selfishly tagging and moving on, not helping others, zerging, repetitive and grindy. Individually based instead of rewarding an entire map for working together (say they kill 29 total in 30minutes rather than 20 individually) There’s no regular drops from mobs, and crazy amount of grind for rewards.
It just feels lazy and really disappointingly unlike Gw2, it feels like they’ve taken a step backwards from all the progress they made with mawdrey and SW, or even old content like nightmare of towers. just wtf is this?”

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3khpjc/mordrem_bloom_income_rate_feels_low_and/cuxnro3

Posted by: rivurivurivurivu.3041

rivurivurivurivu.3041

give 1 blossom every time we complete a event. (will fix the problem of dcing and loosing your stacks)
give a extra bonus at the end for the amount of events completed in the whole map (add a counter to the quest log.) ppl get 20 stacks and afks. 40-50-60 gives 5,10,15 for exemple.

Posted by: Bambi.2609

Bambi.2609

Well you could atleast extend it for next week that would be nice so we can get atleast some rewards. Rest you already know…

Posted by: The Shield.2843

The Shield.2843

I’m gonna keep it SIMPLE.

WE GET NO EXP OR LOOT FROM EVENTS.
That is the WORST. Events feel really repetitive and enemies are too weak. They all die extremly fast. Maybe when there are more players make then harder?

and i was told if u dc’d u loose the chances of getting more blooms. what if i loose connection for some odd reason? don’t really like that.

Posted by: Conski Deshan.2057

Conski Deshan.2057

It’s understandable to not implement a patch just before the weekend.

Feedback
The most important point aside from the other issues
-This event has a “double cost” , you lose money participating in it (as you don’t receive any loot or money.) and then you must also pay gold to claim the rewards. Please don’t do this, an event should at least be cost neutral, I.E progress towards event rewards does not negatively impact your gold/progress towards normal game rewards.

As for other feedback:
-Drop rate was too low: I had expected it to be around 5 blooms per stack you acquired you’re already aware of this.
- There is no reason for the stacks to disappear on a disconnect, it needlessly punishes people.
- The events themselves have no real verity unlike the scarlet invasions, there’s no boss either which makes it feel more grindy.
-I had a new guildy quit the event because it wasn’t helping him level, adding exp to the mobs would be a good move with all the new players.

On a positive note:
Good job on starting to move the former gem store armors into in-game methods.

[RoF] and [BL] guild leader
11x level 80’s 80+ Titles 2600+ skins , still a long way to go.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Time between event finish and restart needs to be smaller, nothing worse then logging on and finding out you’ve missed it. Also information on how the event works would be great, only found out today that the event carry’s on in Kessex then on to dessa. Wasted a lot of time sitting around in Brisbane, as I’m sure alot of people did.

Not knowing how many blooms you get you also a let down. So much of this event is unknown. Yesterday it felt like you just had to grind and hope that you end up with enough for a reward.

Like others have said the hit points on the mobs where way to low. Half the time they’d be dead before I got an attack off.

After no content for ages, this event has not shown ANet at its best. The last 3 day event you guys did was the first southsun event. We all know what a disaster that was. Do yourselves a favor, and stick to the week/two week events. They seem to work. So far you guys are 2 and 0 for the 3 day events.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Ooshi.8607

Ooshi.8607

It should have felt more like an invasion and not like some random mobs just popping up all across the map.
It would have been better if all of the little villages on the side of Maguma where occupied by the mordrem and we would have to fight to get them back. This should be done by stages, buffing the mobs so that they become impossible to kill before you complete the previous stages.
At the end of each stage you get loot chest like in SW so that even if you can’t stay around for the full event you would still some sort of reward.
I get that you guys don’t want the mobs to drop loot, fair enough, but at least let them drop blooms or whatever currency.
Scale the rewards to the mob, in that a normal mob only has a chance to drop them but when you get to champion mobs you are guaranteed to get a bloom or two.
Don’t promote selfish play by increasing rewards for the amount of tagged events, it doesn’t take a genius to quickly realise that that is the quickest way to maximize rewards, it’s an MMO we should be rewarded for playing together instead of this mentality of rushing everything.
It’s inadmissible that an event on a area for lower levels does not give XP. I was looking forward to participate and level some of my alts to 80 in preparation for HOT, ended up switching to one of my level 80s as they are faster, more powerful and there is literally no reason to use a lower level character.
You’ve always marketed this game as casual friendly, for someone that is only able to play a couple of hours a day it is impossible to get even the middle tier rewards, I’m reluctantly participating on this one as I’m on holidays, if I was on my normal schedule I would have just written all of this event of as pointless. Top tier rewards should be obtainable in a reasonable, read casual friendly, time frame. Increase the number of rewards available to keep people that play 24/7 happy.

Posted by: Melanion.4892

Melanion.4892

I’ve only been reading about the event, not playing, but from what I hear there’s no real draw to get me back in game. Even if the event were functioning as intended, there’s no draw here.

Claude – Pink Fairy Mesmer

Posted by: Lucis.3156

Lucis.3156

I rarely come here to post or reply but I just want the devs to know how important it is for us players to not be punished in any way by having a disconnect in the middle of a play session, more importantly if we are going to lose any progress we have made in a said event. If there was a way to “save” that progress for a few minutes so we have the time to log back in, it would be great, and yes I know we can do the next event in 30 minutes but for some 30 min are alot and dont have time for more. One more thing I want to say is that the gameplay in open world events should have people working together and not running selfessly around the map trying to tag as much events as they can. Lastly,one thing I liked is the return of old rewards/skins/items that we can no longer aquire. Would love to see more of that for newer players to get them and for older palyers that didnt have the chance to aquire them the first time.

Desolation

Posted by: Blind Jimmy.1634

Blind Jimmy.1634

I’m sure others are going to talk about the reward values, so I’m going to talk about my next biggest criticism which is the gameplay and incentives. Because the rewards incentivize participating in as many events as possible, the optimal way to play appears to be to tag as many events as possible and then run to the next event. There is no incentive for staying at event until it is actually complete. There is no incentive for the players to spread out and tackle as many events as possible instead of grouping up into a few massive zergs and hitting the tightest cluster of events that they can find.

I think this behavior could be improved by making this event incentivized a bit more like the Silverwastes. Consider making the rewards scale based on how many total events in the entire map were completed, and use the player buff to simply track general participation (e.g. you don’t get any rewards unless you complete at least 2-3 events or something like that) then that should hopefully incentivize the players to split up more, and will also stop incentivizing leaving events halfway through to go to the next event.

Posted by: BassHunteR.7246

BassHunteR.7246

Ok.. you want ideas so here we go..
You claimed this was an event wherevguilds were going to come and mass recruit.. if you say something like that.. you gotta offer something for guild representatives to actually show up and recruit.
Now let’s take a look at the types of guilds and what they looking for:
1- WVW guild: basically gonna be hard to get thwir interest in a pve event but maybe and just maybe if you add some reward in the npc focused in wvw such as banners to bepurchased by tokens.. or upgraded siege weapons or anything like that so that the actually show up to farm those.
2-Role playing guilds: they look forward to the story behind the event.. why is it happening? Why there?? Why not somewhere else? Why now? How can we, the heroes of tyria help? Whats gonna happen if we fail? Where is the gathering forces??
Whats the plot??

3- farming guilds: theu want GOLD. So basically they look for means to make gold or aquire stuff to sell on TP for GOLD.. these guilds are easy to satisfy.. champ bags from champs.. loot from rest and some descent rewatd from npc will get their attention. Make a 0.000001% chance of a unique uber cool looking skin drop from the champs and BOOOM you guarantee your success right there..

4- casual guilds: they just want to have fun. Nothing in particular.. they looking for somwthing new.. not to hard… not to easy… but still rewarding so that they feel they are not wasting time…

5- hardcore guilds: they want to get every reward available on the event atvleast onevof each so they gonna play it over and over till they do it no matter what. They gonna use meta builds and tactics to achieve the goal..

6- pvx guild: they do a bit of everything so they dont commit to hard to anything. Still they look very similar to the casual ones but play more time daily.

As you see there are varioua types of guilds.. and you wanna make them show up..
So gather your team and design something worth it..
The wvw guilds will prolly be the hardeat one and wvwn thwy can understand it.. but the others… come on.. it is not rocket science.

Oh and let’s not forget, there are the NEW PLAYERS… who look for EXP AND LOOT to gear up their chars… so those stuff can not just go MIA
Otherwise new players also go somewhere else..
You make an event where players spend money wping like crazy and paying for rewards on npc up to 10g each after getting 0 copper from the whole event???
Not cool man.. at least if i was a new player i would rather farm gold than spend gold.
I would be thinking: i need exotic weapon right now… not a mawdrey… kittenhis im outta here…
Hope this helped

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

This event brings bad memories of Karka event, where i got DC at the end, just b4 the ancient karka died and never got my reward.

But in a way, it’s even worse, lot of effort to do a whole map invasion, intense battles and big cost of wp all over the place, for no reward or so little it’s not even worth mentioning. No loot from enemies at all? Was this really necessary?

What chance do low lvl players have even tagging mobs and getting credit for these events? I’m a lvl 80 and i had trouble getting credit on lot of them.
the whole thing is just one huge zerg, after zerg.

Worst part, is the feeling of frustration, rather than enjoyment or sense of fun. I did a couple of events when it first started and got nothing at the end of it all. Today, I made a concerted effort, as there is one thing out off all the rewards that i’m interested in, the twisted moa mini, which is missing from my collection.

After starting at the beginning of the cycle in Brisban, i get dc both there and in Kessex Hills half way through the event, all progress lost. So after wasting 2 hours, i gave up in frustration and waited for the cycle to begin again. This time, i managed to do all 3 zones from start to finish and participating in every event i could possibly manage and what did i get at the end of it all? 5 lousy blossoms for each zone! If it wasn’t for the daily reward of 20 blossom i would have 15 in total for several hours of hard work. and yes this event is pure work, no fun at all.

The amount of time i wp to an event only to arrive as it’s ending and not getting credit, is the most frustrating thing. very reminiscent of daily events in noob zones only on a much grander scale.

Well, if i manage to get my mini, i will not be doing this event again, not only b/c of a feeling your efforts are not rewarded but also due to the above-mentioned frustrations. I can only hope this is not a reflection of what we can expect in HoT.

Posted by: Cdoto.4920

Cdoto.4920

We have been tracking player response and recognize that this event has not gone as intended.

<snip>

We encourage all of you who’ve participated in the Mordrem Invasion to please share your constructive thoughts on how we can improve on these types of experiences in the future. Please share your ideas and feedback in this thread.

Thank you.

I appreciate your forthrightness, and while I did not find the event enjoyable, the live support team was on the ball fixing the bug, and it’s appreciated.

I would like to suggest that you make a fairly detailed post after the event, breaking down the design intent of this event, why it was designed the way it was, and what lessons have been learned. Not a retreat or an apology, but a frank explanation. It doesn’t have to be a high-profile press release or anything, but a forum post (which reddit will of course link to) could reach a lot of annoyed people.

This is still the internet; a lot of people are going to complain whatever you say or do, and haters are gonna hate, but what best serves your relationship with your customers is to give the impression that you’re listening and (this is the crucial bit) reacting to our feedback. Showing us why this looked like a good idea helps with that, and helps shift the conversation from “the devs wasted my time and don’t care” to “hey, the devs are ACTUALLY listening!”

The next step, of course, is actually learning said lessons… of course, that remains to be seen. By pre-ordering HoT, I’m making a gesture of faith that this game is still on the rise, and I certainly hope that faith is rewarded. This event is more of a speed bump than a springboard in that regard, but solid communication is the key to turning it into an overall positive influence on the community.

See you in the jungle.

Posted by: Alakazarm.1847

Alakazarm.1847

The most important thing you can do is have it function like SW or the organized dry top maps. Maximum rewards should have been based on how well the map does. A redditor suggested a system where the cap for the boon stacks is five, and at five you get maximum rewards, with lower stack levels giving less rewards, and at 0 stacks you get nothing. I think that’s great and encourages sticking around in the map. The daily map bonus is stupid, shouldn’t exist. There’s no reason that people should be able to get blooms from just logging on, doing nothing, and logging off.

But yeah the most important thing is ensure that the event is something that players can’t farm for anything other than it’s intended purpose. Keep the no loot and just give people a big fat gold reward to everyone on the map or something for finishing with 60+ crawler kills. Give people an incentive to keep playing and ensure that events are finished.

Posted by: paintpixie.7398

paintpixie.7398

I liked the event. But I think it could definitely be better.

- Have the mobs drop loot, especially the champions, etc. Actually, having the mobs drop the tokens, instead of being rewarded the tokens at the end would be more fun for me, and also would solve the problem with people who are disconnected not getting anything.

- Maybe a chance to spawn/trigger some sort of random world boss sort of event within the event might also be nice, and it would keep the event from being the same old thing every time. Just something that can be a chance, extra sort of thing.

- Please don’t charge so much gold along with the tokens. I’m broke. The tokens should be enough. Unless you have the mobs drop gold, too. I suppose that would help.

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

My input for future events:

1- I like loot from mobs. I understand the reason behind taking the loot out but even in silverwastes I hate killing things with no loot.

2- Events need rewards. If I stay for the whole event I would like to get a chest somewhat like silver wastes does- especially if the mobs will drop nothing. I also appreciate getting karma, experience, and some gold for the event completion.

3- Do the math to ensure that your rewards are somewhat attainable without a person playing excessivly. I would say that if a person cannot earn some awards with 1-2 hours a day play time during an event then it is not a good reward system.

4- Way too much time in between invasions. If an event only lasts 4 days why is there so much time in between doing them. For a person to see all 3 maps it takes 2.5 hours. That is insane- even for a 2 week event that amount of time is not something that I find enjoyable for events.

5- The stacking buff. It makes sense you want to reward people for participating. This buff for the increased reward though is not the way to go about it.

Posted by: Lusteregris.2697

Lusteregris.2697

I really like different kinds of events, as well as the fact they activate on the entire map. Rewards one can buy with blooms are pretty darn cool.

4 main issues i have with Mordrem Invasion event:

-Rewards connected to personal stacks and only to personal stacks.

-Pretty slow aquisition of Blooms(daily chest is a boost, but getting more than that is a pain)

-Its hard to actually catch event(only 4 days + only at certain time)

-Mordrem die really fast, even champs

Tbh, first 3 problems i feel are the worst, since their result is that you want skins or potion and in effect feel forced to appear on every single invasion and fly from event to event tagging mordrem. Or just give up since bloom drop is so low and getting more so hard.
Its hard to appreciate event in either scenario.

Posted by: BlkPrince.2854

BlkPrince.2854

Im fine with the gold cost but the grind to get the blooms…. sigh well just gotta get my halo xD

Posted by: Dragon.4728

Dragon.4728

my opinion :

First the rewards for event as they are – dont really understand why you cant get normal event rewards? Karma and Exp in farming event arent so great. Exp boost for new player… we all know that leveling in this game is easy and fast so doing event in game to level up faster? I dont think it make any harm at all.

Why not rewards from mob? Just give them some kitten rewards drop -it really doesnt matter if they dropping trash blue and green, some grey thigs and such. But you need to feel that your inventory is getting full – we as players can feel good about it -the greed is powerfull tool. it really doesnt matter that its worthless in the end. We got stuff stuff stuff.

If you worry about lootbale champs? just change it then so instead of one champ we spawn two elite and we are good -or more like you are good, we have two elite to kill.

Next – tokens reward. It must be capped yes, but capped in position that you can easily get it without just tag event and run away. In this event 15 should be top for personal reward -so anyoen who tag up and try organize peopel can do 15+ events in 30 minutes window. You need to give people even something for organized maps -so if whole map get 40 of those done, you get some more reward (again in this event i give 0-10/10-20/20-30/30-40/40+ with cap at 20 blooms). Daily are good as they are.

Last thing -main rewards. You give us skin worth 400 gems, pontions worth at least 7days of grind when event was alive. So yes you should grind a little for all of those. But you shold be able to do it normaly. For example if someone play for 4 hours at day -he cant grind even for one skin without sarifice dungs, pvp,guild mission etc. Rewards in events like this should be calculated so hardcore grinder with 8+ hour daily grind should get all of it. And then anyone who play less should get little less. this is of course hard in this event rewards as they are gems skins and hard to get consumables, so people would rage that they need to pay and others get it free or fast. So unique rewards bu not reuseble BL skins next time.

Posted by: Malpractice.7850

Malpractice.7850

When we get reimbursed, are we also given the 60 from the dailies we missed our reward on yet did the event pre-5pm pst yesterday?

If we got 5 from the events, will we be given the difference?

This is important to know, as some of us are farming for a specific amount and then quitting this event.

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

I just don’t understand, how.

After 3 years of experience and knowledge in open world events/content, how did you possibly pass this through QA and let it go live on the server?

After 3 years of experience and knowledge, saying the sentence “This did not go as intended” is just…. embarassing….for something you specialize in (open world events!!)…. you have done SO MANY anet yet somehow this got OK’d to go live????

The community expected better… that’s just embarassing to give out such lackluster content after such a long drought…after 3 years of having first hand experience in designing and developing open world events… its just inexcusable to have something this bad…

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Dear Gaile,

The events are fine and well suited for low level players in low level areas. It’s the reward structure that’s borked.

I imagine many players would like to get some S1 rewards they missed either because they couldn’t play at that time or did not own the game then, but with the low drop rate on the Blooms (25-30 per hour) and the high cost of some of the rewards (450 for a Selfless or Thoughtless potion), it feels very unfair- unattainable even.

Maybe if you folks approached it from the “Knowing that the average PvE player plays 12 hours per week, what rewards would we like our players to get for this one-time, over the weekend event?”, then you could plan the drop rates accordingly?

Recommendations:
1. Have the blooms drop for each event, rather than just the last event in the cycle.
2. Scale the rewards for the casual player (what could a player get in 2 or 3 hour sessions).
3. Remove the gold cost from the reward. No gold or saleable items drop during the event, the reward should not cost gold.
4. Have other loot drop during the event – make it fun!

I think the Marionette event had a good reward system. Fighting the waves in the lanes dropped loot, big chest at the end AND you got keys to open the hidden chests in Scarlet’s Lair. More like this please.

Posted by: Sledge Stone.9017

Sledge Stone.9017

The reward vendor for this event brought back some highly sought after items. Thank you for that. Please do not let these items disappear for another year because of this event. For any event in the near future, please bring back these items so they can be obtained again. Account bound rewards for participation is fine with me, but not in such a short time frame and with limited windows of reward opportunity… especially for such rare items like those potions/tonics.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Having the mobs drop nothing is a terrible idea. Even if they dropped trash, whites, blues, greens, rares etc it would be a reason to have a good magic find. It seems to me lately that not only are you phasing out a reason to have a high magic find, but the creatures don’t even give stacks to go with our sigils (LW2 huge culprit).

The event in and of itself would be more fun if you gave xps and rewarded more loot upon completion of said event, giving the players a reason to not tag and go.

Oh and giving the mobs a chance to drop blooms might be a nice way to augment the ones we are given; perhaps reward one or two upon completion of every dynamic event.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Yeah, i give up on this event. I didn’t even get compensated for yesterday. I’ll just go do something else or play another game.

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

Way way too much “go-here-do-that-then-maybe-this-too” stuff. That just kills it for me. I don’t care about Mordrem or their kitten “Blooms.” Then, I gotta pay to get the real drops?!?

No thanks.

What’s really killing me is all the time wasted to come up with new game mechanics when you coulda shoulda released an updated Cantha and made a lot of us happy.

Thanks a lot.

Posted by: Aerial Melodies.4938

Aerial Melodies.4938

The biggest problem with this event is it encourages players to tag and leave. Eventually a zerg will pass through the event to clear it, but there is absolutely no way to hit 20 stacks without tagging and bailing on the group. If the event is supposed to promote guilds and group play, it certainly failed on that front.

My suggestion for next time is two-tiered:

1. Overall rewards should be based on many of the events were cleared on the map.
2. To prevent people from going afk on a map, players must actually participate in events to get credit (much like silverwastes). However, to keep players from tagging a mob and moving on, if a player only gets bronze then they get a quarter of the overall pot. Silver would be worth half the pot and gold worth full.

The other alternative is to make each individual event drop the rewards and you would have to be AT the event to pick up said rewards. That would keep people around. The floating chests make it all too easy to ditch other players and afk somewhere. This alternative would also benefit players who get disconnected while playing; they would still be getting rewards.

Ele for Hire

Posted by: Shaman.2034

Shaman.2034

ArenaNet, please allow us the chance to obtain rewards from this event. Anything at all:

Extend the event to a full two weeks like other releases.

Increase the amount of blooms the event rewards.

Reduce the prices of the rewards at the vendor.

Remove the hour-long break between invasions.

Not everyone has the chance to spend 8-12 hours a day every day for the whole weekend grinding these events just to get a single item. That’s not respecting the audience you’re catering to. You guys didn’t make GW2 with the all-day player in mind, you made it for the daily player with only a couple hours or less per day. That’s why you put everything behind daily cooldowns, remember? This event is only rewarding to the very small percentage of players who have the entire weekend with no obligations and 16 hours to spend every day, and that feels disrespectful to everyone else.

If you’re going to dangle a very desired reward in front of your players, make sure that most of them at least have a chance to obtain it.

Posted by: ElPewPew.6784

ElPewPew.6784

I think something similar to Silverwastes would be nice.
Several events building to one final event and boss(es) that give a chest/reward.

The DC issues, I don’t think they can be addressed very well since upon login back in you’ll be placed in a random map, would be nice if you could stay on the same map.

Exp/Karma/Gold is a good incentive for all events, specially for people new to the game or folks leveling up alts. On future events include these bonuses.

One thing I did like, my brother who’s playing the game with this newly created thief could join in on the event since it’s not on 80 level zones. This is great for all players since newbies can experience content along with veterans and learn from them. One person asked in chat one time and learned how to use a catapult, sounds really basic but hey we all start somewhere.

Posted by: Atheismo.5164

Atheismo.5164

We encourage all of you who’ve participated in the Mordrem Invasion to please share your constructive thoughts on how we can improve on these types of experiences in the future. Please share your ideas and feedback in this thread.

Thank you.

Give Champions the ability to drop loot or Blooms.
Give gold or karma for each event completed.
Show players a reason why they should care about total of incursions stopped.
Provide some sort of benefit for that.

At the very least, if rewards can’t be increased then decrease the price of the items.
That way the grind isn’t so high.

For future events, don’t place them so close to Toxic Alliance events where they overlap.

Also the game’s time limit and cool down could be worked differently alongside mobs.
For example: Instead of giving us 30 minutes of frantic mess, then another half hour of nothing in the next map after; provide some hot spots to entertain us while we wait.

Let’s say Kessex Hills will be the next map hit. Give certain spots of the map a few Champions running around like bounties. Then the bounty hunt ends about 10 minutes before the big event. Afterwards, provide small pockets of Mordrem (which drop loot) in those maps until that map becomes the next one in rotation. Then bring back the roving bounties.

Rinse, repeat, reduce the parking lot that is the waypoints on the map.

As a result of this frustration and disappointment, I will not participate in the Mordrem activities. Nor will I encourage anyone I chat with, but I will wish anyone wanting to farm it the best of luck.

I’ll spend my time doing dungeons or playing Silverwastes.

What you just described sounds very fun, and I would definitely play an event like that all day without getting bored.

I just feel the devs really need to stop being so stingy with rewards. I get that you don’t want a gear treadmill, and I think that model is fine; but you should still make your content rewarding in some other way. The idea that the enjoyment of the content itself should be reward enough means that you have to set your bar pretty kitten high for everything you release.

I’d also just like to reiterate the point that creating an event to welcome a swarm of new players, and then having said event grant no xp is just…baffling.

Posted by: assasin oates.3018

assasin oates.3018

My biggest annoyance with the event is no gold gain. Only loss.

1. It costs money to waypoint
2. To buy items at the new vendor you have to complete events and make back your money and more elsewhere

Then there’s the fact there is no XP or karma gain during the event when it’s in a low level zone that should be brimming with new players.

There’s nothing to earn or any feelings of achievement in this event, you can only spend

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

Thanks for owning up to this and giving us an update.

Posted by: SRoode.7318

SRoode.7318

Thank you for the update Gaile! A lot of good suggestions in this thread, I hope you guys are listening. From my personal opinion, I don’t like having to do the same thing over and over and over again, especially the way this event was structured that is was basically do the same thing for 30 mins. Then do that same event over and over again. I really want the “Selfless Potion” and I would not mind working for it over the course of a week or two (I’ve crafted 4 Legendaries, so I do not mind working over time for something). If the event had different things to do, over a longer period of time it would help break the monotony. Also, maybe have special achievements that earn you additional blooms to help you get the amount you want.

Posted by: Ahratan.1098

Ahratan.1098

As someone who told my friends (who are now trying the game as F2P players) about all the great world events in the game so far (marionette, pirate invasions, fight for LA, etc.), it’s a shame that their first impression has been this one.

A few thoughts:

1. Loot. The fact that the mobs drop nothing is a problem. Normal loot tables would’ve been fine, but dropping nothing is boring and encourages people to just tag and move on, because why bother killing stuff?

2. Rewards. The only way to get rewards is by blooms; the best way to maximise bloom gain is event-tagging (i.e. totally anti-teamwork style of play whereby you let everyone else do the work). Thus, this event rewards poor teamplay.

3. F2P experience. These players get no rewards, because they don’t know how tagging works, they have the naive idea that doing the event properly will reward them. So they don’t get many blooms, also they don’t have much gold, so they can’t afford the rewards anyway. They also die a lot, since points (1) and (2) reward tagging, this means that while new players are immersed in the idea of killing the bad guys, everyone else has abandoned them and moved on to tag the next event, so they get left alone and pasted.

4. Downtime. What’s the point of the 30 mins downtime between events? If you’re in the modd to play the event, then the intermittent 30-minute waits are annoying. If you go off and do something else during that time, chances are you get immersed in that and miss the next invasion. The result seems to be that people waypoint to the next area and sit around in frustration typing abuse in mapchat for 30 minutes about how much they hate this event (esp. compared to previous ones), which is probably not something you want to encourage.

5. It highlights the serious problem with disconnecting that this game has. When you log back in, you lose your progress. You lose stacking buffs like in this event and in the Silverwastes. You lose reward chests like at Vinewrath and Tequatl. You lose your place in the WvW servers and have to queue up again. It shatters the gameplay experience – and it’s made all the more worse by the fact that this game disconnects people moreso than games. Or maybe it just feels that way because of the progress loss.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Honestly, the most constructive thing I could say to do next time is the exact opposite of this event. This event has zerg, no challenge, no rewards, grindy, boring…. the list goes on and on. Just do the exact opposite of all that.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

- The DC issue is getting worse on some systems. It is not always our internet connections.

Yeah, I know right? :S I’m struggling with it for some time now (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Wth-Constants-disconnects-and-losing-credit)

Posted by: Warden.8927

Warden.8927

My only biggest issue with this is the short amount of time we have to achieve things. I’m prepared to put up with a lackluster event as long I can get some of the rewards I badly want.

Just give us enough time, just a couple more days would go a very long way.

Or possibly reduce the cost of the higher items in the vendor, please!

Posted by: Cronos.6532

Cronos.6532

make it last until the 14th

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
etherealguardians.com

Posted by: HansWursT.2341

HansWursT.2341

Improvements:
1. Enemies should yield XP.
2. Enemies should drop Loot.
3. Enemies should not die instantly. Needs better Scaling.
4. Rewards per Event, although a wiggle chest per event could get annoying.
5. Personal rewards should scale with participation.
6. Provide additional rewards for overall map progress.
7. A feeling of Progress across a map. It should be possible to clean the map and stop the invasion instead of non stop events for 30 minutes. Make it hard to achieve this, but reward it if it happens.

What i like:
1. Events are not just kill stuff fast.
2. Lots of different enemy types.
3. Special events in general, fits nicely into a “Living World”.

Posted by: Rococo.8347

Rococo.8347

Im having trouble trying to work out what working as intended would look like for this event – what went wrong?

Was it supposed to give us more blossoms?
Was it supposed to drop boxes or any type of loot?
Was it supposed to give XP?

Because I think im in a similar situation to most people- if im lucky and also have the time to run all 3 maps for 3 days because I wasn’t going to play it yesterday when I saw the fallout I will have enough blossoms to get either some shoulders or gloves but not both and I have to forget trying to get the halo as it just isn’t doable.

Now if you gave some XP for the young’uns, gave extra blossoms either via map event completion or from the veterans/champions or lowered the requirements for items and ran it every weekend in the run up to HOT then it would be fine – but I cant see how us not getting any of that is a ‘design fault’

At the moment its a skinner box without any true rewards – even the rats would be revolting…

Posted by: Fade.1743

Fade.1743

I would like to add that this event should be able to run until HoT (or at least until some sort of headstart version of it).

While there are some tweaks to be made, overall, it’s a great sort of pre-expansion release; however, the limited time window probably skews a lot of views on this.

Magichemist Zeke – Asura Elementalist [TC]
An Insane(ly Intelligent) Genius!
“Did you just tell me the rules? Never tell me the rules!”

Posted by: thewaterguy.4796

thewaterguy.4796

Ok I’ll go into a ton more detail in a moment but to summarize why alot of people, including me, hate this event: It just feels lazy and rushed in its design

1.The event is just not very interesting to play, nothing new or unique has really been implemented, the blog post hyping this thing made it sound like we could get to experience maybe some new tech of some sort coming in HoT? It would go a long way in getting people hyped up especially with release relatively close, but no recycling the same enemies and the same vinecrawler and the same catapults just feels lazy and boring. Compare it to LS Season 2 or Season 1, say what you will about the combat but at least we got to see some new enemies with new tactics, the tower of nightmares introduced the Toxic Alliance which say what you will I still thought they were interesting with the hallucinations and the fact that you actually had to finish some of them off to prevent them from rezzing…Then Season 2 introduced us to all the Mordrem enemies that we have been fighting since not even mentioning the awesome marionette fight during the queen’s jubilee, and then this event? Well it has…recolored Husks I guess…see what I mean?

2.The event encourages what players refer to as “tagging” the practice of running to an event participating in it for a few seconds in order to get credit for it and then move on, this has been a problem with the dynamic event system since launch, but this event really magnifies it to a whole new level, the fact that the mobs we fight don’t drop loot or exp really turns it from a mild annoyance to a rampant problem, I’ve seen tons of people that say “Well I would stick around more but they don’t drop anything so what’s the point?”

3.The rewards are just mediocre, many have accurately pointed out that the rewards are sad, compare them to the Silverwastes where you can earn tons of gold quite easily especially if you know what you are doing, this event? You end up losing tons of gold in order to even buy items from the vendor, worse you aren’t even recouped some of those costs from drops because again, the mordrem don’t drop anything

4.F2P players are getting driven away, this is a certified fact, I have seen tons of comments on youtube or even in map chat to the effect of “Yeah my friend was playing on a F2P account and then this event happened…he quit because he got tired of being yelled at” and that sucks, this event has drawn out the evil side of us “veterans” and rampant name calling or passive aggressive comments to the effect of “lolz what noobs” are rampant in map chat right now, and yeah you can turn off map chat but if you are new to the game its your only source of information on what to do,

so F2P or newer players are stuck in this cycle of “Dirty stupid noob go back to Call of duty” and then the newer player is like “so what do I do?” whlie struggling to fight the mobs and figure out whats going on, all this time the chat is filled with absolute poison and QQ’ing and more name calling…I know its the internet but the terrible implementation and design of this event has alot to do with it I feel, and thats not even getting into the severe limits on the rewards they get compared to paid players…

So yeah newer players have zero reason to run this event, they don’t get significant gold because no drops, they don’t get exp because they keep dying, and they don’t learn anything because people are too busy name-calling to explain anything

(edited by thewaterguy.4796)

Posted by: Assic.2746

Assic.2746

Besides all other stuff about this event being not rewarding enough it misses the achievements!

• Finish 1, 10, 25, 50, 100events during the invastions (1, 1, 1, 2, 3AP).
  • Repel the Mordrem Invasion in Kessex Hills (3AP).
  • Repel the Mordrem Invasion in Brisban Wildlands (3AP).
  • Repel the Mordrem Invasion in Diessa Plateau (3AP).
  • Spend 10, 50, 250 Mordrem Blooms (1, 2, 5AP).
  • Kill 50, 250, 500 invading mordrem minions (1, 2, 3AP).
  • Successfully repel 1, 3, 10, 15 invasions (1, 1, 5, 5AP).
  • Build 1, 5 catapults (1, 2AP).
  • Complete at least 5 out of 7 achievements (10AP).

Achievements in total: 56.

Meta achievement reward: Cool skin for gloves, pauldrons or helmet + title (cool thing especially for a new players with lack of titles).

In GW2 players value skins!

(edited by Assic.2746)

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

okay, we seem to be dropping feedback here, so here goes:

• Individual Events Lack Reward – no exp, no karma, no drops from mobs, no gold, no exp on kill. nothing to make individual events rewarding at all.
  • Playing an Event Through is Unrewarding – you actually get more from running from event to event tagging, and if everyone did this, they’d all fail.
  • Disconnecting Removes all Rewards – not only do you lose all stacks, you also lose any chance of loot for stacks gained after reconnecting.
  • Event Difficulty is all Wrong – I’ve had two sorts of event, one in which I get instakilled repeatedly so often I’m getting my downed penalty maxed out before I have time to dodge roll, or the event goes so fast that I’m not getting a chance to hit.
  • Event Placement – the odd placement and low duration of the events mean it can be tough to get to them, and usually causes the players to use waypoints often. this causes a great deal of gold to be spent – which is annoying for older players and prohibitive to the newer ones – not to mention that lacking waypoints can cause bigger issues (such as not getting to events)
  • Reward Ratios – as it stands, to get some of the more expensive (sought after) items, you’d need to put in what is, frankly, an unrealistic amount of time. given the short time in which the event is available, and the bugs getting in the way, many players will be flat out unable to get the rewards they’re hoping for, which will result in a lot of bitter, disappointed players.
  • Previous Advertisement was Inaccurate – previous posts advertising the event implied that guilds would be a significant part of this event – where in truth it’s no more guild related than any other events in the zone, or anywhere for that matter. this is misleading, and led to a false sense of expectation that was not met.

I may have missed stuff, and if so I’ll edit it in later.

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Review of the Event
-Rewards selfish players who waypoint after tagging and punishes the team players who bother to revive.
- Rewards not equal effort involved. Will actually lose more gold waypointing + getting prizes vs anything that can be gained.
-Duration for each event to start is extremely long and painful
-Makes the players who want everything from the event feel discouraged because there WONT be enough time for the prizes they want.
-Mobs are easily taken down and many on every map I’ve been on get 0 credit after 3-4 tries and give up.
-Some of us can’t even afford to buy prizes because of the Gold charged. I’m trying hard to earn something to pay for it a second time? First with my time, then with my gold? Odd.

Suggestions –
Make the buff increase upon Vine destruction, Not just tagging.
Increase the bloom gain per buff
Add karma gain and experience.
Increase duration of Event to make up for time lost
Remove Gold charges from prizes
Add minor drops to the mobs (Even perhaps a single bloom or two)
Decrease the time spent waiting for each map to start to 10 minutes tops.
Make each occurrence harder and longer to achieve.

(edited by CandyHearts.6025)

Posted by: hibari.9836

hibari.9836

We are aware of an issue where if you disconnect during the event you will not be able to rejoin. If you experience this, you will be able to participate in the events that follow the one from which you disconnected. For instance, if you were disconnected during the Kessex Hills incursion, you’ll be able to get into the next stage when it takes place in Diessa Plateau.

Sorry but…so what? Who cares? There’s no carry over from one map to the next. It’s like saying “well, if you’re doing world bosses and you get DC’d you can always go and do the next world boss.” Yes, of course you can, but how would that answer an issue of consistently not getting rewards for content completed?

At this point I have been DC’d from more event maps—all with 4-5 minutes left to go in the event, and all with a crash that has required a total reboot of my computer—than I have been able to complete. I do a string of all three maps and I am lucky if I get rewards for even ONE of them. I am so frustrated I could scream. I started this event really excited to get some skins that haven’t been available since I began playing the game, and I know that I should be able to buy them already, given how many stacks and how many event maps I’ve been through, but I’m not even half way to being able to get one of them.

So when you say “you can just go do the next event” it just sounds to me like you’re avoiding a real acknowledgement of the issue and how it’s impacting people.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I’ve gathered my feedback here, it should be pretty familiar at this stage but I just wanted to add my 2c.

Why don’t we get mob loot, experience and the token event completion reward of karma, xp and some copper? Is this going to be the case with future events throughout HoT? If so I’m starting to regret purchasing it. Without even experience you don’t have any feedback at all when you kill mobs, they just fall over.

For the Mordrem Blooms and future similar tokens, I don’t understand why the Spawners don’t drop them after they die the same way that the Toxic Offshoots dropped Pristine Toxic Spores (and still do, I believe) after being killed. If each Spawner dropped 3-5 then there’d be a real incentive for people to actually stick around rather than run to the next one to tag as many as possible. Having the event rewards drop on the map at the event location somehow (in a chest or other lootable object) would be enough to prevent that tag and run tactic forever.

You could also give decent awards when the invasion ends. For example, a Vine-Covered Crate for each 10 or so events completed on the entire map and bags of loot, blooms etc for each event you personally helped complete. That would encourage people to spread out a bit to ensure as many events were completed as possible. 4 zergs are better than one.

As it is with the extreme grind required to get the Blooms required for the final tier rewards and the additional gold cost for them this entire event feels mean to me. You had a chance to show the new players how much fun these kind of events could be, how everyone can work together to achieve things and instead you show them how unrewarding these events are, how miserly you are with rewards and how it’s best to run past events to tag as many as possible.

Finally, although these things happen and you must know this already, having events like these arrive so fundamentally broken looks really bad for new players that you’re hoping to have buy the game. It also means that map chat is full of people asking about the bugs and that inevitably leads to discussions about previous broken events. You’re not exactly making a good impression when that happens.

Edit: also, I’m disappointed at the “We’re at a point where we can’t change anything more about this event for this weekend without risk to the greater portion of the game”, I appreciated that there’s little you could do but you could, for example, half the costs of the more expensive items at least. With the rewards for completion as they are now a Thoughtless or Selfless potion for 225 is a lot more achievable than one for 450. They’re all account bound rewards anyway.

I hope that we will see an article or post showing the feedback and lessons learned from all this and that we’ll actually see the results of those lessons learned in the future. This shouldn’t have happened, you’ve been doing this for 3 years, you should know better.

(edited by Pifil.5193)

Posted by: Cronos.6532

Cronos.6532

award all players who participated in the event a guild hall decoration

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
etherealguardians.com

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

My only biggest issue with this is the short amount of time we have to achieve things. I’m prepared to put up with a lackluster event as long I can get some of the rewards I badly want.

Just give us enough time, just a couple more days would go a very long way.

Or possibly reduce the cost of the higher items in the vendor, please!

Please don’t let them go down this road. If they only learn that in order to make some players happy they can just continue to pump out lackluster events so long as they last longer then they learn nothing.

I can understand that you want to grind out some skins that you really like, but would you or the general populous be happy if all events became like this in the future? I think not.