Mordrem Invasion Update: 11 September 12:30 PM

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ghost Wolf.3479

Ghost Wolf.3479

How do you go about getting your compensation? Are you just doing game wide compensation?

Posted by: Fines Juliverine.5846

Fines Juliverine.5846

Well in my opinion the biggest problem in that event is , if you want to get blooms you have to port around…

And why should i stay at a single event … There are no rewards for it … Also why should I join a commander … The champs are not dropping loot boxes…

So we had the scarlet event , where events was up scaled to champions

Now we have this port around thing … The difference is … At the scarlet event you take part at the event until it was finished ….
Another difference … At the scarlet event you had to finish the events , if you want scarlet to spawn …

Now if you combine the two events … Give champs loot in mordrem you don’t force players porting around .. And everything is ok …

Also don’t be that lazy anet and create new skins and don’t always recycle old stuff in such events … If you bought the skins in you gem shop you have nothing from that event because you were a supporter of anet by buying gems … Sounds fair

[Hs]

Posted by: Miss Lana Too.5794

Miss Lana Too.5794

Posted it twice before, I’ll post it again since this is the official feedback thread.

The 5k ping is killing me. Literally. This is in no way fun or easy to deal with.

45 characters, 20 level 80s, 11 impersonal story completions and counting.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Now if you combine the two events … Give champs loot in mordrem you don’t force players porting around .. And everything is ok …

So basically end up with the exact same issue that we had during the Scarlet Invasion that prompted ArenaNet to remove the loot from them in the first place? People refusing to finish events but rather just scale them up to farm Champion Bags. Not to mention the abuse for people that wanted to finish the events.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Fines Juliverine.5846

Fines Juliverine.5846

So basically end up with the exact same issue that we had during the Scarlet Invasion that prompted ArenaNet to remove the loot from them in the first place? People refusing to finish events but rather just scale them up to farm Champion Bags. Not to mention the abuse for people that wanted to finish the events.

Is it better if people finish th events or is it better to port around..

And the difference is… In mordrem you don’t have a meta event , in which you have to do events … If you would follow a commander in mordrem event scale events up to champ, you can get champ rewards an you can do enough events for the blooms… I don’t think an event would need more than 1-2 minutes if most of the people stick together

[Hs]

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

^ But that is just the thing. People didn’t finish the events, they made sure to NOT finish them in order to get more champions to spawn for bags.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: humfrid.2615

humfrid.2615

Despite the fact that I didn’t get any rewards I have to say I did get some enjoyment out of the event when I first played it. It felt nice ot have something new going on and made me realise how I missed the living story and how spoiled I am because I got used to the constant free content updates. I don’t really feel like complaining, because I got something for free, and even though that something was flawed, I had some fun with it and it was nice to have the living world feel a alive again. So thank you for that!

As for the constructive feedback:

• Obviously, the fact that the rewards where bugged was a huge disappointment. Obviously that was not intended so there is really not much to say about that, other that to ask, if this could have been prevented if X had been done?
  • Since Dry Top and Silverwastes I would have thought that ANET has the whole big map event thing figured out. Those maps show how you can have “zergy” events that still require some coordination and reward group oriented play. But with the new events you are just trying to selfishly get your own event counter as high as possible to get more rewards. E.g. Why not have rewards scale according to the map wide event counter rather that encouraging what a guild mate of mine fittingly described as “tag and run” tactics?

I do a worry a bit that this was the frist time new players experienced an event update and it was not a very good impression. That’s a bit sad, because we know ANET can do much better. For all the hype that was created for the event, it was much more of a letdown than it would have been, if it was just another patch.

Well at least new players learned a valueable lesson: Don’t play the new content immediately after the patch hits – wait for the hotfix

Posted by: Punked.8263

Punked.8263

This is one REALLY REALLY bad event system!
What is this thing with building stacks? Why do you loose the stacks on map leaving? I was playing and farming 20 mins for stacks so my client can crash on the 21st min to loose all the 17 stacks i had? So bassicaly even if you dc or something and recconect it puts you in a different map and you loose not only your time (20 mins) but your gold for wp and your reward at the end. With it being already too hard to get items for at least 2 skins with that mechanism and having in mind that this is an Internet requiring game and the connection is something that can be lost anytime due many reasons.. This stacking system makes it worse.. I’m working and i don’t have much time to spend ingame.. when i spend it i expect to be rewarded or at least accomplish something and i just got DCed twice from the game while farming 20 mins + and i lost time and gold.. This is frustating and one of your worst events you’ve ever done.. Please consider removing those mechanisms that requier you to stay in a map and build up on stacks or something.. I din’t see what’s the problem in making it reward after each completed event. Leave it without loot from mobs.. but put some loot bags after the event completion.. make it reward one of those items on each completed event. When you complete 20 events (instead of having 20 stacks and waiting for the event to finish to get 15 items) you would have 20 items, but if you get DCed or somehow dropped out of the game you get to keep what you’ve build for the time you spend.

I’m very dissapointed with this event, it’s VERY VERY bad planned.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

^ But that is just the thing. People didn’t finish the events, they made sure to NOT finish them in order to get more champions to spawn for bags.

Then its simple: don’t spawn as many champions just spawn more elites with champion hit points regardless of the numbers of players. Or even better spawn legendaries. The problem was that it was easy to force the event system to spawn huge numbers of champions, once the game detects it’s being “gamed” out should react accordingly.

Posted by: Inverse.2967

Inverse.2967

Here’s my mid-event recap so far:

- started with around 4 Gold in my pockets.
- farmed the event like no tomorrow day and night but didn’t desert any event for tagging
- now at 320 blossoms

what I got:
- I’m now broke, down to 10 silver in my pocket, did get 2 Watchwork Portal Devices from daily bonus chest and the usual not noteworthy things
- will need another full round of dailies tomorrow and several hard grind rounds to buy even 1 top tier shiny (-set)
- fighting mordrem in itself was a lot fun
- seeing people braggin in mapchat all day and night how great they to go tag-and-desert events and rip everyone else off for staying and completing them their tagged events was a major turn off, had to make heavy use of blocklist to keep chat clean of selfish wanna be-“elitist” banter

Will post my final verdict after event ends.
So far it looks much like fun fights very poorly delivered, details see thread above.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Alright, let’s get this out of the way then. I usually try to rationalize the design decisions made, particularly the ones I don’t like, and based on that form my opinion.

• No reward for individual events: I guess initially this doesn’t seem like such a huge deal, XP is currently useless for lvl 80 players and karma is way too inflated so you wouldn’t want to feed into that either. Also you probably don’t want this event to artificially shorten the time it takes new players to level (which makes it in a manner of speaking a content skip for those who play with the mentality of rushing to 80). Makes sense right? Except that even for players at 80 getting XP out of event mobs is one of the few means of providing feedback to the player about their current event contribution while the event is ongoing, this is even more relevant when all the events consist of for the most part is killing mobs. Then there is the matter of waypoint costs and the additional gold cost for rewards (which btw are prohibitive factors for new players, among others).
  • No loot from event mobs: This is something that is for the most part true for Silverwastes as well, so not much to say there, and I can clearly see reduced loot drops as a means to control the economical impact. However, no loot at all combined with no event rewards for participating in individual events only serve to emphasize other problems with this event (see disconnection related issues mentioned here and elsewhere) since there is absolutely no rewards for partial participation.
  • Blooms distributed based on individual contribution: Makes sense when you think of it as incentivizing continued contribution, however, it also effectively goes against previous design decisions and has execution problems when it comes to disconnections and other edge cases. What I mean by it going against previous design decisions is the fact that outside of PvP and WvW there has previously been very little competition between players in open world PvE and even in HoT, when it comes to adventures, that competition is very meta as opposed to competing inside the game. No kill stealing in GW2 is almost not true in this event, because while you can not steal loot you very much can deny contribution because the event scaling can not keep up and blobs of downscaled 80’s make champions and elites melt like ice cream on hot summer day (ie. in seconds), spawning veterans at all when the events are scaled seems like a total oversight. If the rewards were based on map progress vs personal progress (or at least combination of the two) this wouldn’t be as big of an issue but they are.

I did the event once and probably won’t do it again, because for that one time I realized how utterly chaotic this event is… to the point where event mechanics are hard to discern from the chaos when you are desperately trying to get tags on mobs. On average I probably managed to land one or two attacks per mob at worst times.

For me this event comes off as extremely stressful and unrewarding and I was one of the 80 level players in a blob. I can only imagine how confusing this feels to new players with characters that are still leveling and using level appropriate gear in these maps. I can imagine them barely being able to get credit for events when at times it was difficult for me as well (exotics and ascended weapons + trinkets). Also on reddit someone did the math on the potential income of blooms over the course of the event and the prices for the rewards seem overtuned (at least the gold cost of rewards seems unnecessary, since the entire event in itself is a gold sink already and these costs are very high for new players, so the rewards will not appeal to them).

(edited by Crise.9401)

Posted by: Lonewalker.4027

Lonewalker.4027

I’ll start by saying that I have not read the whole thread here, so I’m sorry if someone else already have had these suggestions. And I know the suggestions below are very similar to Silverwaste or triple trouble.

I can only agree that this is a boring event and I totaly agree with all points Sytherek mentions in his post just in the beginning of this thread.
[spoiler]
Boring enemies, terrible-paltry rewards for time invested…
- Needs a progression / final event like Scarlet invasions.
- Mobs should drop loot.
- Boring, repetitive, nothing but frantic running about. Boring.
- Very weak rewards. Very, very weak. Lousy, actually.
- Give credit only to people who actually participate in an event instead of rewarding those who just tag-and-run.
- The DC issue is getting worse on some systems. It is not always our internet connections.
If ANet wants GW2 to appeal to selfish farmers, they’ve done a great job.
Please fix this.
[/spoiler]

Here are some suggestion that might make the zerging less effective and maybe the event more fun. It also minimize running around like a dead hen from one event to another.

Have multiple areas in the map that needs to be defended from mordrem. It needs to be many, maybe 5 or more if it map is full, about 10-15 ppl on each event. People needs to split up and defend the area from invading mordrem. These mordrem will drop loot, but just ordinary trash/blue/a few coins.
All areas need to be defeded in order to spawn a great end boss. Participating in both defend event and boss will give greater loot, If you just jump in for the boss you won’t get any loot (somehow DC needs to be thought of but I have no suggestion how to solve that).
The length of the defend event should be no longer then 15 min. Otherwise it will quickly be boring.

It would also be great if you could add more events with puzzel solving instead of just running around killing things. Not just jumping puzzles but more lore and logic puzzles. Maybe some defend the ones trying to solve the puzzle (needs many puzzles so not everyone figures them out the first time and then it is easy peasy). The mobs could drop clues that needs to be delivered to a npc or something and the players needs to piece these clues together.
Just remember to design the puzzles so they actually need many people helping eachother instead of being done by just one person.
And more npc/mob AI would be nice, so things don’t get so repetitive.

A bit more feedback on the current event. Some bugs get very obvious:
- Targeting. Why do I target yellow stuff when there are red mobs in front of me?
- Targeting. Why target things behind me when I have mobs in front of me?
- Picking up things. If you are engaged in combat and try to pick up something (with ‘f’) shouldn’t I just pick the thing up? Right now it seems that the f-command is ingnored in most cases when you are in combat.
- showing the status of the event on map. When there are lots of events on the map and you need to make a quick decision which to wp to it would be great to shomehow show how much time is left on the event. I don’t know how many times I have wp:ed and run just to come to the event when it is just finished. This makes everyting really annoying especially when everyting is made with the core to tag as many events as possible.

This with tagging as many events as possible encourge hit and run and zerging. So please try to think one step ahead of us players when you design events. There must be quite a big experience database now from all different events in the game, maybe give a few in anet a chance to go though the experiences and try to design something that don’t repeat the failures over and over again.

Posted by: Lonami.2987

Lonami.2987

Posted before at reddit:

Since release, we’ve seen a number of design decisions reverted or improved. But then, some of those mistakes have been back now and then.

The Mordrem are Coming event is the nail in the coffin. I’ve thought about these design ups and downs since some time ago, but now I’m sure that there is a problem here, management, lack of proper repositories, or whatever else it is.

So, no disrespect, but anyone with a bit of knowledge of this game could have detected the problems of the event in 5min. Because we already had this conversation years ago. Years.

Most if not all of the flaws of the event are problems they fixed in the past, but now they’re back? Is a part of the team unaware of the design changes since 2012? Was this event created months ago and then they didn’t bother to update it?

Take the most obvious example in the history of GW2 so far: Lion’s Arch. Destroyed Lion’s Arch had the best city design. Multiple craft stations, “themed” districts: WvW, Forge, and PvE, each with its own unique services. Players interested in those aspects gathered there. The stations, bank, and tp, had AOE interact, and there were no NPCs nearby for mis-interacting.

All of this progress went down the toilet with the rebuilt Lion’s Arch. We’re back to single spots for everything, no AOE interact, and annoying useless kitten NPCs mixed with services. I want to believe they had the rebuilt LA prepared since long ago, and that the multiple stations were an experiment with a later developed transition LA, but still.

There’s no room for these kind exceptions with the Mordrem are Coming event. None at all.

List of all the obvious mistakes, and where we sort of faced them before:

• Limited span of days: If you create an event, with cool rewards, you can’t just go and limit it to some specific days. Doesn’t give time for many players to experience it, and then they don’t have the same chances to get the rewards and it’s even more unfair. When before? November 2012, Ancient Karka event. 2012 had more day-limited stuff, but 2013 established the 2-week minimum.
  • Individual rewards for group content: You only get rewards once the invasion is over, and group effort doesn’t matter, only how many events you took part in. This encourages leeching and a single train, instead of actual multiple group cooperation. When before? November 2014, Silverwastes organs. They fixed it so you couldn’t leech multiple bosses (Or they tried to, you can still leech even if the tooltip says you can’t).
  • Crappy rewards: You get nothing for completing events or killing trash. Zero loot, and zero tokens. You need to wait for the invasion to end to get anything, and then it’s just a few tokens. Oh, and good luck if you disconnect. Where before? May 2014, Crown Pavilion. They improved the crappy rewards quickly after the complaints.

There’s other things, like scaling problems, that still haven’t been fixed anywhere else in the game after 3 years. Why they don’t add extra toughness to world bosses so they don’t die in 10 seconds is beyond me.

How could this be fixed? Nothing special really:

• Make the event last 2 weeks, or make it last until the expansion launches. Stressed people working against the clock to get their rewards encourages a toxic environment of selfishness, where people scream at each other for completing events.
  • Make invasions spawn with only 30min breaks between them. Remove the 1h+ breaks. No more wait wars.
  • Base the success reward on mapwide completed events, and not the personal participation. Change the personal buff to magic find or something else. Players shouldn’t be farming and leeching events, they should be cooperating to complete as many as possible.
  • Waiting for the invasion to be over to get anything is awful. We need rewards before too, but how do we avoid leeching then? A possible solution is giving rewards every time the group effort reaches a milestone. The map has completed 10 events? Bonus chest. 20? Bonus chest. And then a final chest when the 30min are over depending on the final number.
  • If you don’t want players to buy everything in the vendor, then put those items in another tab with a limited token (from achievements or whatever), and let players only choose a limited amount of those rewards. Don’t create false expectations where people want to farm and farm against the clock. You need 1200 tokens to get every unique reward, but it’s not humanly possible to go above 500.
  • Add some big bosses as well, so that there’s some variety. Copy mechanics from already existing mordrem bosses.

With the changes above scaling problems wouldn’t be important, and anyway, you’d be supposed to spread across the map so groups would be smaller.

ArenaNet has rectified in the past, so maybe there’s hope for them to improve this and redeem the event. But it’s all pointless if they repeat the same mistakes again in the future.

Hope there’s a solution. The event is very promising, Scarlet’s Invasions were awesome, and these should be the natural evolution, not a step back :/.

Elonian elite specialization ideas: El: Dervish
M: Bladedancer – N: Scourge – En: Occultist – Ra: Swampstalker
T: Sharpshooter – G: Sunspear – Re: Hierophant – W: Corsair

(edited by Lonami.2987)

Posted by: Slavequo.8493

Slavequo.8493

Suggestion:

Event lasts 30 minutes.

Each player gets a non-stacking buff by contributing, be it using the catapult, trowing pods or just killing mordrem.

Said buff that lasts 1 minute (just putting there a duration that seems sensible to me, make it 30 seconds or 2 minutes if needed) and the duration is refreshed by doing the mentioned activities.

At the end of the 30 minutes check how many events the whole map completed, in this case dividing rewards in tier makes sense (for instance 20 events map-wide give 5 seeds, 30 events 10 seeds and so on).

For each player give out a percentage of rewards based on how long they managed to keep the buff on them. If I do a full event which lasts for 2 minutes, my buff will last 3 minutes (2 minutes of event assuming I am not afk, plues the 60 seconds extra). Let’s say I go afk after I completed this event, than I had the buff for 3 minutes out of 30 minutes total, which entitles me to 10% of the achieved rewards. Assuming that 30 events map-wide grant players 10 seeds, I would be entitles to 1 seed because I of my slacking.

Of course it might be that tracking buff uptime duration is not possible, but this is just me putting there a suggestion, as you kindly asked.

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

The best advice I have to stop leeching is to make it so that each event gives loot, but instead of a bouncy box, it spawns a chest, the way world bosses do. So to get your loot, you have to stay till the event’s over to get your loot. This would seriously reduce tag and run, I think.

Posted by: NIGHTHUNTER.5139

NIGHTHUNTER.5139

First of all, thank you for your honest request to make sure such a mess won’t happen again… I think this event did quite some damage to the game, because it forces you to a really egoistic gameplay with no need to communicate with others.

Here are two points I think should be reconsidered in future events:

1. You removed loot, experience and karma from these events to make sure people don’t run off to another event after killing 2 mobs. Now you scale rewards with the amount of events you participated in, so after they did enough to get reward for the current event people get forced to run to the next event instead of staying at one event until it’s finished.

Possible solution: Tie rewards to the mapwide completed event count. Players have to take part in a smaller number of events and event participation is only counted when players are in the event radius when the event is finished. Players are forced to split up, do as much events as possible and they’ll have to make sure to complete these events instead of running off after they killed some mobs.

2. Remove useless rewards from the reward merchant. Who would buy an Essence of Luck for 10 Blossoms? Please…

we’re the rebelz of the night – watch your back!

Posted by: Natsu.1097

Natsu.1097

The event is interesting, and nice to enjoy with guildmates and friends.
But guys seriously, i want to reach 450 Blooms for the Selfless Potion, and that means that i have to farm like there’s no tomorrow. Going around the map trying to get 20 stacks all the time and doing that all day? It’s a bit frustrating, considering the fact that 1 time on 10 you get that 20 stacks. So please just increase the Bloom reward or lower the cost at the Mordrem Collector npc.
That’s what i think after playing this event.

Posted by: Squish.3276

Squish.3276

I like the event but the time put into it for rewards seems lack luster. I mean the Blooms are fine but maybe at least add exp to the event some how, that way I would play a different toon that maybe isn’t max level. Also the exp would be nice since we have so many new people coming into the game I can’t believe your not rewarding some type of exp for each event completed. Maybe just the champs drop a bag or something cause you need something to keep you motivated. Then again you could increase the reward at the end I guess but I think rewarding as it goes along is nice to keep you motivated to keep participating even though you have done all 4 maps for the day.

Posted by: daray.2954

daray.2954

It’s frustrating to be part of a large group, only to have 75% of that group (following a commander) suddenly take off, leaving the last 10 or so players in the red circled area to finish up the last 25-50%. This results in multiple deaths, and in last night’s case, at least 5 silver to teleport back to the nearest waypoint, run back down, to help the remaining players try to finish it up.

This happened last night, and because the majority of the group took off after getting in a handful of kills, the 1/2 hour timer ended, that individual event failed, wasting game money and time (really could’ve run off to do another 2-3 events in the time it took to try to clean up that last one.). Multiple wipes to full death for those that stuck it out to try to finish it up.

i have made the the same experience. it seems to be the way most people want to play to get most out of this event but it’s frustrating and a far cry from what i expect from playing a game.

Call me selfish but if 75% of your group ran off and left you then run right behind them. Why should you stay, and die numerous times, just to finish the event for them so that they get credit? Let it fail, go find another one to do. While you are at it I would find another group.

I know right. To any warmblooded individual with any amount of sanity it would seem smart to abandon the event, but to some, the courageous few, they see it as a challenge to stay and finish this event. To stay and do what no others would dare. After that they get punished. Why punish these people? They seem to be the people holding these events together, why would the playerbase as a whole be happy about this segment of the playerbase being abused. We need them.

just porting from waypoint to waypoint, watching the loadscreen, running to the actual event, hoping someone ist still “playing” this event, getting there when everyone else is just leaving for the next waypoint or trying to place a few hits before looking for the next waypoint is not nothing i enjoy.

Posted by: Allvaldr.3425

Allvaldr.3425

The event rewards anti-team play, the downtime between events kills it, in that half hour it’s not like you can do anything useful, so it actually takes twice the time as advertised, the mobs are dull and grindy, the rewards are way too law, the vendor prices are way too high and include gold cost, even though the mobs don’t drop any loot/gold/XP.

Honestly? Extended it or upping the rewards is an easy fix to at least make it palateable to grind some of the rewards, but what it all boils down to is that everything about this event stinks, and the only criticism possible is that next time, just do the complete opposite you did with this one.

Posted by: Thoehn.7460

Thoehn.7460

While I, like many loyal GW2 players, appreciate the candor, I have to say that it seems very strange that Anet cannot make any changes to the event at this time. It’s basically a toxic event with a few tweaks and different skin, and the toxic events are still around anyway. I think that some of the things players are begging for could be implemented, if it truly suited Anet. Sorry to say, but this whole thread kind of comes off like bread and circuses. “Yeah, we know it’s horrible, and we are not going to do anything to make it better, but here’s a designated place for you to complain so you feel better.” I truly hope I am wrong about that and our complaints really WILL be used to make events like this better in the future.

My suspicions aside, I will say that if you are using this event as a way to attract new players, you probably failed. No one wants to spend all their time running across a map- back and forth, over and over because they can’t afford WPs or don’t have them unlocked- just to get to an event in time to see the zerg wipe it out before they can get a hit on anything. If I was a new player and THIS is what my first impression of the game looked like, I would bounce. There are plenty of free MMOs out there that lock you out of everything and constantly flash the “buy the premium stuff to unlock” message in your face. This event gives a new player ZERO incentive to invest time or money on this game over those others.

Another thing that I found somewhat perplexing is the need for all the breaks in-between. While I can appreciate a break from beating my head against a brick wall for a toxic mantle so I can go do my dailies, I just don’t see the point in so many. If the event was going to go on for a month, then yeah, sure, have thirty minutes between each zone and an hour afterward. But when the event is this short… I honestly don’t understand how this is a good thing. There are a lot of working adults who play GW2 and they are getting the short end of the stick on this one. My husband just flat out stopped playing and picked up another game, he was so disgusted.

On the issue of tagging events and leaving… sigh. If you make the gold tier of completion impossible to obtain in the time limit allotted, people are going to ‘hit and run’. It’s not a matter of them being selfish or bad people- they just want to actually get something for all this wasted time and effort. By Anet making it more efficient to hit and run, they are inadvertently creating TONS of drama between players (as I am sure is fairly obvious on the forum). Granted, drama is nothing new here, but still, it’s not what this game, or its players, need or deserve.

Not my last beef, but a big one and the one I will end my wall of QQing on, is the fact that there is no exp/karma/loot. As for the rewards… I don’t think they are bad- I was actually really happy to see some stuff I had missed out on in previous events- but the time/payoff ratio is abysmal. I’ll say it again; If you’re trying to lure in new players- bad move. Even those of us with accounts full of level 80s like karma and coins, do you think it would be very fun to a newly created level 20 to grind these events out without seeing any reward whatsoever besides some blooms? And that’s not even touching the issue that even if they manage to get a lot of blooms, new players are never going to have the money to buy some of those shiny rewards in the amount of time this event is running.

Altogether, this has just been a very disappointing experience. It was poorly planned and poorly executed. If this is a foreshadowing of how HoT will be done, I think I will just save my cash.

Posted by: Marxx.5021

Marxx.5021

I have only participated twice because my participation counter got reset when I had a disconnect short before it ended the first time.

I would add a chest at the end of any single event with a bloom and some loot in it. I would also award some reward at the end of the event cycle everyone should get who did at least one single event. The end reward should be better the more events had been done on the whole map (not personally).

Posted by: TheBluespirit.1789

TheBluespirit.1789

We have been tracking player response and recognize that this event has not gone as intended. We’re at a point where we can’t change anything more about this event for this weekend without risk to the greater portion of the game. We also are going to postpone our plans to organize an in-game event around the Mordrem Invasion this afternoon. Instead, we’re going to continue to monitor for your feedback and collect information that will help us improve on these types of events going forward.

We are aware of an issue where if you disconnect during the event you will not be able to rejoin. If you experience this, you will be able to participate in the events that follow the one from which you disconnected. For instance, if you were disconnected during the Kessex Hills incursion, you’ll be able to get into the next stage when it takes place in Diessa Plateau.

As we mentioned yesterday, we will be taking care of those of you who did not get your rewards, so look for those in your in-game mail in the coming days.

We encourage all of you who’ve participated in the Mordrem Invasion to please share your constructive thoughts on how we can improve on these types of experiences in the future. Please share your ideas and feedback in this thread.

Thank you.

I think this is a good event, the problem is that sometimes you don’t get the rewards even though you’re participating a huge amount. You don’t get a single thing sometimes, but the good thing is that it’s fun.
Me and my brother didn’t get anything in the latest one 12:30 – 13:00 Diessa Plateau.

Posted by: Setz.9675

Setz.9675

How about a system where bronze medal awards 1 bag, silver 3 bags and gold 5 bags? Bronze is obtained by spending 15-35% of your time at the event. Silver 35-55% of event uptime and gold for 55% and up.

Crise.9401

How about a system where bronze medal awards 1 bag, silver 3 bags and gold 5 bags? Bronze is obtained by spending 15-35% of your time at the event. Silver 35-55% of event uptime and gold for 55% and up.

I agree that time spent in the event area should definitely be a factor in an event like this, but it can’t be solely based on that either. However, something that makes people be less prone to tagging and running to next event to tag is definitely needed be it changes in reward mechanics or how the events count your contribution.

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

10 minutes into my first event, I was bored. Running around trying to tag stuff during it’s half-second life, endlessly. Terrible. Even if the token rewards were any good (already got them all, so nope) I just could not bring myself to do this again, let alone the tens/hundreds more times that I might need to.

Posted by: Titanium Pig.1462

Titanium Pig.1462

Just goes to show how one persons trash is another persons treasure: I really enjoy it and looking forward to future events in this same vein.

Here there be dragons!

Posted by: Tiemen.8427

Tiemen.8427

I wander into this thread knowing that most of what I’m going to say has probably already been said by others, but it never hurts to echo good points.

- THE EVENTS -

• The waiting | I get having to wait around for 30 minutes in between the invasions, but the one and a half hour wait before the new invasions start is excessive and unnecessarily slows down the events even more. I feel like I continually have to plan for these events to arrive while having too little time in between to do anything else due to their relative infrequency and the need to farm them due to the current rewards structure. In addition to this, the relatively long waiting times can be confusing for players dropping in on the map to see what is going on during the waiting periods. When the “Strange Activity” message appears in the meta-event message, it might help to add a countdown timer, for example: “The Priory is investigating the disturbances: 30:00 left”.
  • The locations | While I like the idea of the Mordrem popping up all over the map at random, some of the current spawn locations are poorly chosen and there is little to no “flow” to the events. Some of the incursions overlap directly with old events, which can be confusing and chaotic at times. The old events should be turned off during the invasions or the incursions should be moved away from them. The biggest problem here is that due to the random nature of the spawn order, there is no real flow to the event in general. Instead of moving from event to event naturally or via a general route, players have to frantically scour the world map looking for a waypoint close to an event. This scatters players instead of bringing them together. Looking at the Season 2 story, you could’ve justified shutting down certain waypoints during the invasions by saying it’s the Mordrem messing with Ley Lines. This might not be friendly to players trying to just explore the map during the invasions, but it would’ve added some story to the events and prevented some of the waypoint-a-palooza. Still, the core problem here is the randomized spawn order and some specific spawn locations, and shutting down the waypoints wouldn’t fix those.
  • Event scaling | The events scale very poorly with increasing amounts of players. Mobs die nearly instantly and the Shield Bloom Spawner dies much too quickly when players swarm in, especially compared to the other two Spawners, where the amount of players hardly influences the time needed to complete the event due to the sources of damage being tied to limited resources that don’t increase when the number of players increases. If you do not have a ranged weapon or movement speed buffs, this can often make it hard to actually participate in the events.
  • No endgame | So you run around the map repeating the same event over and over and then… it’s over I guess? Where’s the endgame? I feel like this event is sorely lacking a second, ‘final’ stage. Just to throw something out there: Have a Silverwastes Mordrem Champion ( Hey, there’s three of them! There’s also three invasion maps! ) show up in the middle of the map for all the players to rally against. To get to the boss, players would have to defeat three Spawners ( the three different events ) around it first. Have the boss drop a World Boss chest with loot and additional Blooms in it based on the total defeated incursions, et voila: you have given players something to work towards.

- THE REWARDS -

MAIN RECURRING POINT HERE: Get rid of the horrible buff stack system. No idea how you could think it was a good idea: it pushes people to just tag & run and disconnects the rewards from the events.

• What you get | For completing these events we get one reward and one reward only: Mordrem Blooms to buy stuff with. There is no loot, xp or karma from killing mobs or completing events, just the Blooms at the end. This makes the events feel very unrewarding. Completing a 30-minute invasion with 10 stacks of the buff through normal play gets you 10 Blooms and nothing else. This is very disheartening when you are just trying to get the one 450 Bloom potion. The amount of time one needs to invest in these repetitive events to just get one of the more expensive rewards is completely unrealistic and is made worse by how completely unrewarding they are besides the Bloom currency. The daily chests per map go some way to alleviating this, but it is just far too little and far too late. Why don’t we get anything for killing the mobs? Or for getting Gold medals on the incursions? Why do we get so dreadfully few Blooms and why don’t we get anything besides the Blooms to make up for the massive time investment? Just as an example, having the Spawners drop some loot ( even just a single Champion Bag ) upon defeat would help very much in making the event feel more rewarding.
  • How you get them | You get Mordrem Blooms by stacking a buff you get for defeating incursions during the invasion. You get one stack of the buff for going to an event and killing some mobs, no matter your actual contribution to the event or whether you stick around to finish it. This means you can just waypoint to an event, kill some mobs, then leave before the event is even halfway finished to do the same at another event and still get the stacks. Because these stacks are the only thing that matters for the rewards you get, it creates and encourages a tag & run playstyle that is toxic to the overall event. Instead of finishing events, people just go around tagging them to build stacks, then go AFK once they have enough stacks. Because of the way the rewards are set up ( 0 Blooms for < 5 stacks, 5 Blooms for < 10 stacks, 10 for < 20 Stacks and 15 for 20+ ) this also affects people actually finishing the events: when I get to 10 stacks, there is no reason for me to keep doing events, as I won’t get to 20 stacks through normal play, so doing more doesn’t get me anything. This whole stack system is puzzling to me. Instead of trying to fix the stack system, just get rid of it and reward people for completing events ( perhaps even based on medal quality per event ) and total map performance to encourage players to band together.
  • When you get them | Currently, you only get a reward at the end of the 30 minute timer. This creates a disconnect between the rewards and the event: I can get some stacks of the reward buff, then AFK for 15 minutes and get my reward. The reward feels like an afterthought, it doesn’t feel like I am getting rewards for doing the event: it feels like “Oh sorry, I wasn’t paying attention. You did some events? Here’s a reward I guess… Now move on to the other map please.”. I want to be rewarded while doing the events, not when I’ve already done twelve. Get rid of the buff stack nonsense and give players Blooms the moment they defeat an incursion. Note that this would also fix the ‘Disconnect = no reward’ issue.
  • Beyond this event | I’d like to know if Mordrem Blooms will be a recurring currency. Will there be other events giving them out in the future? Will there be new vendors and items if that happens? Is this a one-time thing for this single event, forcing me to spend them on whatever I can get if I don’t get enough for what I actually want? Would be nice to have some clarity here.

Posted by: Rorschakiin.9437

Rorschakiin.9437

What baffles me the most that you’ve done group content rewards right in SW and Drytop. The biggest rewards are for doing the “team” objective but you get a little extra for doing small events. Of course this system has it’s flaws but, you know. As it is with the mordrem invasions, it only encourages selfish tag&run.

I understand he patch was a little one-off event, so I wasn’t expecting anything out of the park but I would’ve expected a better use of existing, functional systems in the game.

This was advertised as an event for new players so what’s up with not gaining any xp for killing mobs? Maybe this is to prevent farm(?) as is the case with loot but the driving force in doing these events is and will always be seasoned players doing kitten for rewards. They couldn’t care less for xp, they won’t farm mobs for it. What’s wrong with new players getting that little bit of extra motivation to do these events since they are already having trouble getting tags among downscaled top-gear lv80s? Are you afraid that these players would level too fast? Since you get no xp, even veterans won’t bother leveling their alts doing these events so that just amplifies the glaring issue of tagwars.

Then there’re the rewards, only purchasable with blooms, which are awarded in very tiny amounts AND a sizable amount of gold. And no, I’m not talking about that >50silver prize being high for older players, but more how it is an obnoxious amount of gold for new players trying to get by. Freebies can’t even use tp to it’s full extent, how on earth do you expect them to get that sort of money? Don’t make your game feel like a grind to them, please. That is mean and will turn off a lot of people.

(edited by Rorschakiin.9437)

Posted by: Starconspirator.3012

Starconspirator.3012

I’m sure these items have been mentioned but I’d like to add my voice to the tally. I was excited by the prospect of the mordrem invasion but there are a number of points that sap the fun out of it for me. First, I’m not sure I understand the reasoning behind the “participation stacking bonus.” Given the mechanic that a person can get bronze participation and a reward by simply running through an area where an event is happening and killing one enemy before leaving the area, this means that people are encouraged to “tag” 20 events without really participating in any of them (or only in the last ones as the timer’s running out and they’re gaining bronze participation from events long left behind.) Given the limited amount of time for the event and the limited rewards, in order to acquire the highest-priced items, a player is almost forced into this tactic.

Second, the reward token distribution. In my opinion, it makes more sense for the blooms to drop like any other loot, maybe replacing an adept-level item that would normally drop. This means players can amass flowers by killing multiple levels of enemies – as opposed to the blooms only dropping from champions, which would encourage champ farming. I like the map bonus but it shouldn’t be so hard to get the regular blooms and the map bonus should feel like an extra perk for staying in the area.

Finally, the fights themselves are lacking. For months now, we have been fighting these same mordrem in the silverwastes and now they just feel randomly dumped into the core maps, rather than like an actual planned invasion. There are no real enemy commanders, no use of tactics brought on by the new environments, etc. It feels like the invasions are a missed opportunity.

Posted by: John.8507

John.8507

I wander into this thread knowing that most of what I’m going to say has probably already been said by others, but it never hurts to echo good points.

- THE EVENTS -

• The waiting | I get having to wait around for 30 minutes in between the invasions, but the one and a half hour wait before the new invasions start is excessive and unnecessarily slows down the events even more. I feel like I continually have to plan for these events to arrive while having too little time in between to do anything else due to their relative infrequency and the need to farm them due to the current rewards structure. In addition to this, the relatively long waiting times can be confusing for players dropping in on the map to see what is going on during the waiting periods. When the “Strange Activity” message appears in the meta-event message, it might help to add a countdown timer, for example: “The Priory is investigating the disturbances: 30:00 left”.
  • The locations | While I like the idea of the Mordrem popping up all over the map at random, some of the current spawn locations are poorly chosen and there is little to no “flow” to the events. Some of the incursions overlap directly with old events, which can be confusing and chaotic at times. The old events should be turned off during the invasions or the incursions should be moved away from them. The biggest problem here is that due to the random nature of the spawn order, there is no real flow to the event in general. Instead of moving from event to event naturally or via a general route, players have to frantically scour the world map looking for a waypoint close to an event. This scatters players instead of bringing them together. Looking at the Season 2 story, you could’ve justified shutting down certain waypoints during the invasions by saying it’s the Mordrem messing with Ley Lines. This might not be friendly to players trying to just explore the map during the invasions, but it would’ve added some story to the events and prevented some of the waypoint-a-palooza. Still, the core problem here is the randomized spawn order and some specific spawn locations, and shutting down the waypoints wouldn’t fix those.
  • Event scaling | The events scale very poorly with increasing amounts of players. Mobs die nearly instantly and the Shield Bloom Spawner dies much too quickly when players swarm in, especially compared to the other two Spawners, where the amount of players hardly influences the time needed to complete the event due to the sources of damage being tied to limited resources that don’t increase when the number of players increases. If you do not have a ranged weapon or movement speed buffs, this can often make it hard to actually participate in the events.
  • No endgame | So you run around the map repeating the same event over and over and then… it’s over I guess? Where’s the endgame? I feel like this event is sorely lacking a second, ‘final’ stage. Just to throw something out there: Have a Silverwastes Mordrem Champion ( Hey, there’s three of them! There’s also three invasion maps! ) show up in the middle of the map for all the players to rally against. To get to the boss, players would have to defeat three Spawners ( the three different events ) around it first. Have the boss drop a World Boss chest with loot and additional Blooms in it based on the total defeated incursions, et voila: you have given players something to work towards.

- THE REWARDS -

MAIN RECURRING POINT HERE: Get rid of the horrible buff stack system. No idea how you could think it was a good idea: it pushes people to just tag & run and disconnects the rewards from the events.

• What you get | For completing these events we get one reward and one reward only: Mordrem Blooms to buy stuff with. There is no loot, xp or karma from killing mobs or completing events, just the Blooms at the end. This makes the events feel very unrewarding. Completing a 30-minute invasion with 10 stacks of the buff through normal play gets you 10 Blooms and nothing else. This is very disheartening when you are just trying to get the one 450 Bloom potion. The amount of time one needs to invest in these repetitive events to just get one of the more expensive rewards is completely unrealistic and is made worse by how completely unrewarding they are besides the Bloom currency. The daily chests per map go some way to alleviating this, but it is just far too little and far too late. Why don’t we get anything for killing the mobs? Or for getting Gold medals on the incursions? Why do we get so dreadfully few Blooms and why don’t we get anything besides the Blooms to make up for the massive time investment? Just as an example, having the Spawners drop some loot ( even just a single Champion Bag ) upon defeat would help very much in making the event feel more rewarding.
  • How you get them | You get Mordrem Blooms by stacking a buff you get for defeating incursions during the invasion. You get one stack of the buff for going to an event and killing some mobs, no matter your actual contribution to the event or whether you stick around to finish it. This means you can just waypoint to an event, kill some mobs, then leave before the event is even halfway finished to do the same at another event and still get the stacks. Because these stacks are the only thing that matters for the rewards you get, it creates and encourages a tag & run playstyle that is toxic to the overall event. Instead of finishing events, people just go around tagging them to build stacks, then go AFK once they have enough stacks. Because of the way the rewards are set up ( 0 Blooms for < 5 stacks, 5 Blooms for < 10 stacks, 10 for < 20 Stacks and 15 for 20+ ) this also affects people actually finishing the events: when I get to 10 stacks, there is no reason for me to keep doing events, as I won’t get to 20 stacks through normal play, so doing more doesn’t get me anything. This whole stack system is puzzling to me. Instead of trying to fix the stack system, just get rid of it and reward people for completing events ( perhaps even based on medal quality per event ) and total map performance to encourage players to band together.
  • When you get them | Currently, you only get a reward at the end of the 30 minute timer. This creates a disconnect between the rewards and the event: I can get some stacks of the reward buff, then AFK for 15 minutes and get my reward. The reward feels like an afterthought, it doesn’t feel like I am getting rewards for doing the event: it feels like “Oh sorry, I wasn’t paying attention. You did some events? Here’s a reward I guess… Now move on to the other map please.”. I want to be rewarded while doing the events, not when I’ve already done twelve. Get rid of the buff stack nonsense and give players Blooms the moment they defeat an incursion. Note that this would also fix the ‘Disconnect = no reward’ issue.
  • Beyond this event | I’d like to know if Mordrem Blooms will be a recurring currency. Will there be other events giving them out in the future? Will there be new vendors and items if that happens? Is this a one-time thing for this single event, forcing me to spend them on whatever I can get if I don’t get enough for what I actually want? Would be nice to have some clarity here.

Sums up everything nicely. I do think events should be random and can pop up anywhere so players don’t learn a pattern. But the toxic events in kessex hills should have been got rid of especially.

Posted by: Yvi.5762

Yvi.5762

My issues as a new player:

1. Rewards I can’t get since I don’t have close to 10 gold never mind the 60 I could spend.
2. No idea where zones are and no way to get to half of them. And no idea how to find out IN GAME.
3. Zerg > flashy > dead. I can’t see what is going on with so much flash all over the screen. Maybe not specifically an event problem, but not an issue with my usual duo play.
4. No rewards. I dropped nothing from the first event and have no intention of going back for more.

SOLUTIONS
1. Rewards drop from either kills or event completion in a standard way (x from bonze, 2x for silver etc).
2. Turn in rewards for things that don’t cost additional gold (Or do you expect me to buy and convert gems?)
3. Less flash. A tutorial on ‘green patches mean this, blue patches mean that’ so I know what to stand in.
4. A single default waypoint to event zones or at least a waypoint and directions.

British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune

Posted by: StrangerDanger.3496

StrangerDanger.3496

I’m sure this will get lost in the sea of posts here but here is my feed back as a new player who has HOT.

First of all my issue is with enemy scaling. When there are huge numbers of players, which there were for the event here, even normal event mobs need to scale their HP. I spent the first wave of attacks running around frantically, having to equip a range weapon on my melee character, just so I could tag some mobs. I didn’t feel like there was some dangerous invasion, the feeling was like in the personal storyline part where I’m in the sewers and the “rats are running from something” and I’m walking down a corridor swinging my sword one shotting rats for the lulz.

Second, as was mentioned, I spent a good amount of time, and coins (I’m new so I’m very low on money) teleporting around, trying to follow the event. That’s fine but there was zero reward for this. No chests dropped, and when it was over I got to follow the horde of participants to this NPC only to find out that I wouldn’t be getting any reward if I hadn’t already received it.

So this led me to ignore all follow up events.

Enemies, all event enemies need to scale appropriately. Not saying to make them one shot large swaths of players but is it so hard to make it so that they are not dead in a second?

Also there needs to be some sort of UI pop up explaining the rewards per phase of the invasion. Might have made sense for veterans of the game but I had no idea if I was doing it right, if I was actually helping, or if I was being rewarded…which it turned out I wasn’t being rewarded.

As a new player all of this struck me as strange. This is a three year old game whos fame is events like these… Stuff like this invasion is suppose to be what GW2 is all about and its had three years to get it right…so I’m not sure what happened here. I remember Rift’s invasions worked better during launch week, and those actually had an epic feeling about them (granted they ended up being monotonous and pointless beyond the opening week of the game and the mechanic being new to mmorpgs) The current event didn’t really feel all that epic, just some slightly bigger mobs and a large plant at the end. It didn’t feel like the area was being invaded, just that now there are these mobs here, kill them, and hey look, just happens to be 5 catapults here for you 50 players to use.

I’m actually really surprised that all of this hasn’t been sorted out by now tbh.

(edited by StrangerDanger.3496)

Posted by: Jarrod.6592

Jarrod.6592

Hi Gaile.
Firstly I would like to thank yourself for posting this discussion update and your honesty with the community.
As an oceanic player of GW2, I and quite a few other SEA players are having massive Lag spikes and are unable to log in. As a result, I haven’t been able to actually participate in any of the events so far. For other Oceanic players, they wont be able to participate to earn enough blooms.

Will I just have to say good bye to the chance of getting a Selfless Potion, because I wasn’t able to log in to earn blooms?

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

Are you aware of the bug that makes you lose the reward despite having stacks?
I believe it’s caused by disconnecting during the event. Will we get the rewards we lost due to this bug, as well as the ones from the problem on the event’s launch?

As you can see in the screenshot, my stacks weren’t consumed when the event ended and I didn’t get the reward.

Attachments:

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Side note: Not getting rewards for frantically running around for 20+ minutes?
NOT FUN.

The stack thresholds are just dumb. 5 for every 10? I can barely get 8 for all the waypoint tagging and slough of a run to get to each event, assuming it’s not already finished. Last event I only got five (5).

Friggin’ 5.

Unless the gap between earnings and costs comes down dramatically, there is absolutely no point in me participating in this sham of a zerg event.

What’s more, this merely highlights some things we’ve been griping about for years:

1. Megaserver caps are too high. Too many people on each map. No matter how many shards you make or zones you spread events into (as what should have happened), each map will be too full when you force the players into them. It sucked for condition damage, it sucks for daily zone completion, it sucks for this event.
  2. Travel speed is abysmally slow. Even with Air/Arcana swapping for 100% Swiftness uptime, I couldn’t reach some events in time. Roughly a 60-80% success rate, depending on time of day. Some of the problem is related to Item 1, above.
Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Tolsis.3518

Tolsis.3518

I really enjoy these events – they’re one of the things that puts GW2 ahead of other MMOs for me; I love the feeling of urgency – of dashing about after high-powered commander types, of jumping in there and smacking big baddies in their spiky chops, those moments when you res some poor little chap at the edge of a kill zone and he gasps ‘thx’ at you before disappearing into the fray again – smashing fun.

I took one look at the reward skins and didn’t want any of them. I opened a couple of Scarlet bags and was very underwhelmed.

But I would still rate this event as more fun than the comparable ‘event’ going on right now in swtor – the other game I play a lot. The Gree event, which is running right now in swtor, gives better rewards (rare legacy offhand shells – allowing you to share powerful weapon components around your alts – as well as other shinies) but is much less fun – its just a hopeless grind of running round an iceshelf killing things and then handing missions in – plus it’s like two and half years old and going through its ninth (or somethingth) iteration.

The GW2 event is more immediate fun to see and to take part in – as with all their events really. Just the rewards – and in this case the rewards SYSTEM can be puzzling.

Maybe it would make sense to integrate these events into the Daily Reward system? Perhaps this would afford the devs the control they seem to want to keep over drop-rates and currencies, while at the same time letting the players feel like they accomplished something and got something meaningful for their efforts?

For me it would be silk. The amount of silk I need is monstrous. Give me a bag of silk and I’ll weep with joy.

Posted by: ThrynDrakarian.3179

ThrynDrakarian.3179

First off – Gaile you have my sympathy, I don’t envy your job right now =P

As for the event? I think it’s been a victim of it’s own hype, combined with a lack of anything being run for a while but I’ll get to that shortly – I’ll start with the rewards and a bit of account background .

Rewards
I bought GW2 early in LS S1 – after a week I was then locked out of my account for 9+ months due to the password reset emails being trashed by various email hosts bug/problem, missing the entirety of the story. So seeing the 2 tonics in the vendor and having another crack at them? Awesome!

Or so I thought – until the problems with rewards not being given the first day, followed by no specific communication of what we could expect when it was fixed and then seeing actually how few of the tokens we get when it was fixed, leading to the realisation that unless I sacrificed most of the weekend, I’d get squat – 1 of the hand/shoulder skins at most, for 4.5 of invasion time (9 hours of game time due to the gaps). The amount of tokens being rewarded seems painfully low for vets compared to other events that used a similar system, like the Pavillion or the 4 Winds stuff. On top of that players being rewarded with the most tokens for running around tagging as many events as possible instead of actually finishing….

Combine all of this with no exp, coin or karma from the individual events, with the gold cost on top of ultra scarce tokens on a very time limited event in the first place, and you’ve got a recipe for both Vets being annoyed at an event we’re losing resources to take part in and new players being confused at the lack of rewards followed by frustrated when they realise the vendor stuff is priced way out of their reach. As a late 20s gamer for the time invested vs real money argument, I’d rather have seen the stuff thrown on the Gem Shop again to buy outright to be entirely honest.

Event itself
This is a bit of a harder one. We’ve not had an event in a while – we get it, most resources have been on the rebalance of the trait system (that’s another topic for elsewhere) and the expansion itself. The problem is we got this hyped up as something to get us in the mood for the expansion….and then basically get a couple of variants of the toxic mini-events that are already in the zones anyway, just with current mordrem enemies from the Silverwastes, over and over again in a zone until the time runs out, then it stops, breaks for 30+ mins and then swaps zone repeat. Very repetitive, no consequence/real reward for either ‘winning’ or ’failing.

What I was actually hoping for? The forts & camps in those areas being attacked and overrun if not defended like in the Silverwastes alongside the current incursions, leading to if held out long enough either a a big raid by some of the SW Mordrem bosses, some of the new Mordrem types from the expansion (not all obviously, but gives Vets something new to tackle), or a boss/commander Mordrem Guard we haven’t seen before given the reveal of them just before the event kicked off. Something to bring a map of players together with a feeling of consequences.

This could have then fed into a 2 tier token system, a bit like the Pavillion had with the weapon skins, with the ‘normal’ current 3 variants, plus defending and retaking the keeps/camps could have rewarded the current blooms for smaller rewards, and the ‘boss’ wave rewarded 1 of the big tokens for bigger ones like the 2 tonics.

Of course that then needs balancing against new players trying to level, but for a 4 day event leading to a Mordrem withdrawal could have been perfect, seeing as it could then be ‘flipped on’ again here and there in different zones between now and the expansion.

General Feedback
- Seeing the Mordrem actually attacking existing wildlife and events in the zones would have gone a long way to also helping it feel more ‘meaningful’. It’s weird to see a Dragon that’s seemingly been intent on overriding existing life have his minions casually hanging out next to humans etc.

- More general and specific communication from the company to players over issues. This applies not just to this event where it would have gone a long way to not having so many players raging about rewards/the pointlessness of the event, but just responses in general (Thief subforum had a 10k view thread that got closed without a response, which was concerning and frankly disappointing, but I’ll leave that there given it’s more a framing point anything else). I mean heck, we don’t even know if there’s more events coming up using the same currency, even if it has different rewards available?

All in all, I think we appreciate the theory, but the application felt lacking and it’s a double whammy for you guys as a company of discouraging vets who haven’t bought the expansion yet (and therefore not seen the new zone via beta weekends) and been a poor way to highlight free events for your new influx of F2P players you’re trying to persuade to pay money for the full game/expansion, given both the difficulty of them getting any reward AND the map chat filled with frustrated vets. Honestly if I’d seen it as my first example of a free world event while trying the F2P version, I’d be hitting that uninstall button ASAP, which is a shame as the game has lots to offer and is actually fun and we KNOW you guys can do better for events.

Posted by: recklessjive.7940

recklessjive.7940

I enjoyed the nature of this event. It was engaging and the mechanics for each event were different and easy to catch on to. I’m pleased to see Arenanet create content leading up to HoT and are listening to the community for feedback.

Issue: The event was first described to be an event that encouraged guild participation, but the only incentive is for the individual player to selfishly abuse the participation buff by simply tagging each event and leaving.

Suggestion: This event would work best with a similar system to the events in Dry Top, which encourages players to work together to finish events, and the whole map is rewarded in return! This would create some highly engaging moments as the entire map will be rooting for other teams to complete their designated event on the other side of the map as the countdown nears 0, and when that moment happens, everyone is rewarded and celebrates that win of hitting a specific benchmark together.

Posted by: marquise.8059

marquise.8059

I was expecting either a scaled down – for new players – mini Silverwastes kind of event or one similar to what I’ve played during the beta. Most certainly not a mess & insane running across the map zerg for …. nothing.

I understand that it is too late to change the event but you surely have other ways to award it as the vendor will stay ingame for some time.

The gap between 1-10 and 10-20 events reward make it so that if I managed to finish 10 events around 10 min before the timeout I stop playing and just afk on the map, as there is no way I can finish 20 in this lapse of time. Not very community helping attitude, right?!

Oh well, I guess there will be no toxic skins for me.

There is no passion, solely obsession. No knowledge, solely conviction. No purpose, solely will.
There is nothing, only Me.

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

my only explanation of why this turned out to be the way it did:

The event was designed by new members of the team who weren’t involved in living story season 1 and 2.

Honestly, this isn’t playing together for a common reward but it’s everyone for himself. Best accomplished by tagging and leaving asap.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: Truth.5279

Truth.5279

Why is this such a big deal?
Anet, I enjoy this event. I think it’s fun. I do not understand why people play a portion of the game they don’t enjoy and then complain with nearly no end while doing it. Do something else. I didn’t like Golem Week, so I avoided WvW and enjoyed playing something else for the duration.
I see people write that they feel compelled somehow to earn the rewards, and thus they simply must grind them out. Well most rewards come with a price, in-game or out. No one told these folks they are required to earn these.
Thanks for all the fun, challenging, and rewarding game, Anet.

Posted by: Rococo.8347

Rococo.8347

I actually had a rage quit for the first time ever in this game late last night

- Did Brisban, got kicked from the game towards the end, no rewards

- then went to Kessex and at 2.30 am UK time when it should be quiet there were TEN commanders – it was impossible to actually avoid the zerg and get some kills in because the WHOLE map was a zerg, in the middle of the night thanks to Megaservers. I got to 5 different skirmishes only for them to be completed as I arrived – never managed to get above 8 buffs.

- then went to Diessa, its now an ungodly hour and yet its still rammed to the gills, this time even when I was doing a reasonable amount of kills some of the skirmishes wernt raising my buffs atall.

All humour left me. I really am starting to believe that this is a Psychological experiment for Anet to see just how LITTLE in rewards they can get away with – what is it with this new – play and we don’t give you loot?? You simply cant expect a player to fight for 30 minutes and get nothing if any of the numerous bugs kick in or next to nothing in the form of a paltry amount of tokens for items that almost no one will be able to afford after 3 days ( because Anet put an event live with bugged rewards so everyone lost a day)

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

At least nerf SSD. Kind of wrong that players who use SSD get more rewards.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

The reward is paltry. Especially if you don’t run a power build with either range or great mobility, you will miss participation. If you DC say goodbye to your stacks.
Feeling forced to rush around and spam waypoints in order to even get there on time, not due to the “urgency of the threat of Mordemoth”, but due to the real urgency of the threat of not getting any participation token.

It’s a massive grind. Doing the same styled events over and over and over for more than 20hours. And you have to do it all in a fairly narrow window of time.

Ultimately this whole event was grindy, bugged and worst of all, dull. This is one incredibly boring event.

I did two invasions and quit out of sheer boredom and unwillingness to deal with this massive grind. No way i’m going to be glued to GW2 doing the same 4(?) events over and over for 20+hours. Even if the bloom reward was fixed, the fact it was so bugged was rather the icing on the cake.

Posted by: SilvasRuin.5713

SilvasRuin.5713

I suppose it makes some degree of sense that you cannot change how the event works in the middle of the actual event at this point without causing problems, but there is one quick-fix I can think of that I can’t for the life of me figure why it can’t be done. For the individual participation awards, slot in liquid karma, bags of coins, and writs of experience. There, bang, some normal gameplay rewards. It doesn’t fix the myriad of other issues, but at least it fixes that one significant problem, and new players can actually get a little character progression in while doing this, assuming they don’t get disconnected.

Crise.9401

I dunno if people have paid enough attention to notice this but the Brisban Wildlands version of the event tracks the total events completed map wide, whereas the Kessex Hills one does not (no clue about the third map since I never did that one in the end).

What this tells me is either the design for this even changed or they ran out of time and had to change it. Otherwise there really is no reason for such an odd inconsistency. The thing is this event would be much better if it had such a map wide objective and rewards based on those objectives.

I can’t help but to compare this event to Scarlets invasions and those had exactly that, a map wide goal. (Now, they also had some unintended “problems” when it came to optimal loot, but as I recall that got changed during said release).

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

To address the issue of very little reward and characters tagging events and then running to the next in order to get their quota I have the following suggestion:

1. At the end of each event spawn a chest containing some blooms.
2. At the end of the meta-event (in addition to daily bonus) give blooms to all participants based on the number of events completed in the zone.

This will stop people tagging a few mobs and running off (because of the chest) and will give everyone a vested interest in completing as many events across the map as possible, breaking up the big zergs. It will also give people a decent number of blooms because surprise surprise we can’t all play 24 hours a day for the entire weekend!

Also please reactivate karma and exp for the events, it makes no sense that they have been removed.

One thing I’m finding is that it’s crazy difficult to actually get event credit when there’s a zerg at the event (trust me, I try to avoid them but the number of events is so small that unless you play out of hours you aren’t going to find a small pop event) because the mobs just melt. In scaling events please don’t buff mob damage but rather increase (significantly) mob numbers (ie. increase the frequency and distribution of the spawning globes) so that everyone gets a look in.

Finally, didn’t you learn from Southsun Cove not to do short duration events? Absolute base minimum duration of the invasion should be a week, not a weekend.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

At least nerf SSD. Kind of wrong that players who use SSD get more rewards.

Lol! It’s the entire point of buying one the faster load times. They’re cheaper now than they used to be. If serious stop being a noob if not then +1 for the joke.

Posted by: Renkencen.6127

Renkencen.6127

Simple, just make it the same as the season 1 event Clockwork Chaos since the current event is pretty much a lamer version to that.

Ok I get the problem with Clockwork Chaos (from the company side) that it became a farming zerg fest to the point that people wanted it to fail to get more champ loot. Just havles the rewards instead or make it 50/50 or 1/3 of an chance for the champ to drop a chest!

As the other problem with the current event, I’m sure people have mention it already-

Better placement of the events in the map- I lost count the amount of time that the location to the event will be an annoyance becaome the nearest WP has become contested (like the Skritt king event) or the location has a hill or it is underground. Heck even the actuall non Mordenm event like the toxic spore or ingame event is a nuisance for interfering with the current event!

What the point of having “number of Modernm incurson defeated”?- When the reward is based on having finish a finish per player, what is the point of having the total finish sum on the screen as I notice it sometime. I get what is it since last season 1 events had it like the Lion Arch Invasion but there is no additional rewards relating to it (dailies doesn’t count). So in another way either make used it or or just get rid of it!

Longer time delay in return for greater loot than the current short hours- Just to be clear, I know I don’t have to do every single half hours events but since we all want those skins, we ironically become slays to the time. I personally prefered having the event from mostly every half hours to every two hours at the most. Before you mention about the decreased to the reward, increased it instead for delaying the event more. I mean come on! There are other activities I want to do in the game and having only 30 minutes is not enough like eg a dungeon run or eotm!