Mordrem Invasion Update: 11 September 12:30 PM

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Inverse.2967

Inverse.2967

Ok another state of the game update:

- the obscene tag-and-run deserter sport has become the overall meta now

This results in that events are always kept at rather upscaled state but progress often comes to a crawl so much that the 3-5 people that actually are fighting instead of just tagging will now not only get 10 instead of 15 blooms compared to the leechers, but must now even fear to not even get the 5 blooms reward.

I’ve seen catapult and shield events go on for more than 7 minutes now, being rather upscaled most of the time because ppl keep popping in and out just o get their tag but not contributing to the progress AT ALL.

This goes so far that catapults are being ninja-ed so actual defenders go on defense, just to see that the catapult was then left deserted once again while they were fending off the spawn that was about to rip it to pieces. Thus event does not progress very much at all, since defenders are bound to mobs that get overscaled because of ninja-taggers, so regular event participants don’t have enough time to use the catas.
And the taggers constantly ninja-ing catas don’t do much damage on the boss, yeah wp.

On shield spawns this can also happen, tag and run keep shield blossoms and especially the boss at a very highly scaled state, yet do not contribute to damage progress signifcantly thus i’ve now seen shield spawns take 4 or more burn phases, because with just like 5 people doing actual full burn time on the boss while it is on scaled up state does not help much.

Result of this anti-social behaviour is now that if you play events regulary and do not desert you have actual reason to fear for even the 5-bloom reward if you get unlucky and run into several long-term engagements in a row.
Also getting the 10-bloom-reward by regular non deserting play has become a gamble instead of something you could reach by contributing actively.

GG…
After i’ve gotten my last few blooms that I wanted I’ll just stop with this exhibition of all time human low and do something that is more fun… like doing daily chores or so.

Posted by: Arrow.4619

Arrow.4619

You committed one of the cardinal sins of gaming. You released terribly boring content with absolutely no rewards attached to it. No one is going to do that. I don’t care how many people say ‘play for fun’ and ‘enjoy the journey’, we’re humans and we’re driven by rewards. It is simple psychology and you are not going to reverse it. Sure, someone may be able to login for one hour throughout the course of the event and enjoy doing it once. But repeatedly? The number of times needed to get a good reward? Frankly, you should know better at this point. There is zero reason this event AT A MINIMUM should not have a karma and xp reward upon completion of that ‘invasion’. Absolutely none. Even giving Karma/xp on singular event completion, you are looking at what? Maybe 5,000 karma every 30 minute period assuming they would award the same karma as events typically in the area (I used the number 250). Why exactly are you going to such lengths to eliminate such an absolutely minimal amount of karma? Why is time being spent developing stuff where you REMOVE those fundamental features? Why do you give us account rewards for achievements and then develop content that completely IGNORES those elements that people have put a lot of time into getting? Please understand, this makes you look incredibly shady.

If Magic Find has really caused that much of a problem, JUST REMOVE IT. People will complain but they’ll get over it like they always do. You should have removed it when you switched it to account-bound. Now that poor design decision is causing you to create other poor design decisions. Just get rid of it. At least then you can create solid reward structures going forward without spending time trying to predict the impact that BS will have. This problem did not at all exist within the first game. You guys nailed the rewards in GW for YEARS, but since GW2 has come out, you’ve been flailing, and I really think it’s because of Magic Find and + Karma and + Gold (By far the most useless thing in the game. Why’s it even there?).

I really like just about everything in Noxicon’s post. I’ve been following this thread – and others have have also said just about everything I would want to provide as feedback but I want to harp on the lack of regular in game rewards issue a bit.

From my perspective the lack of kill exp, event exp, event karma and dropped coin and loot is just unacceptable. Noxicon’s take is that it “makes you look incredibly shady.” My descriptors would be much more pejorative than “shady.” Experience, karma coins and loot aree all fundamental features of the game. They are rewards every player should receive for actively participating in the events. Hell, they are tools, properly employed, the developers of this game should look to use to incentivize and reward “good” player behavior.

You’ve put in this game, account level experience, gold, karma, and magic find – not to mention sell through the Gem store items that boost those things – and then you effectively zero them out and make them meaningless. You also put “on kill” traits and sigils in this game and they are completely screwed over by this design choice as well. Why would do that? Why do you think this game is so fragile that having players earn player-level and event and opponent appropriate experience, karma and loot over a four day period special event will break it? I cannot imagine either experience or karma for actually staying and completing these events (that gold completions) would exceed 5,000 for the vast majority of players during a 30 minute invasion. Even if the special event were ongoing for months the game wouldn’t be harmed by that much experience, karma, coinage and loot being added to the game. How long did the Scarlet Invasion event last? I seem to recall that went on for months. Somehow the game made it through that much longer ongoing “special event” in which experience, karma and loot was awarded to players. If the concern is zerg scaling that could easily be dealt with by simply not having Champions spawn OR have faux Champions a-la Claw of Jormag spawn. However, a proper reward structure where the Blooms are mostly awarded based on map performance probably would choke the “zerg for champs train” dead making it a non-issue for a short event like this. In fact, you could probably run this or a slowly expanding version (add more maps add more types of events) of it this special event with a combination of player and map-level performance based currency rewards + experience, karma, coins and loot right up through the release of HOT and the champ zerg train would probably never be an issue given you can use the event currency to gamble (by buying the Memories of Scarlet Boxes or Arid Dusty Satchels).

Players might actually thank you for running that event . . . rather than coming to the forums in droves to complain.

Nerf Shadow Arts condition cleanse. Gut the
Acrobatics trait line. Then sell it back
to them for $50. Brilliant! – ghost of P.T. Barnum

Posted by: Charons.6037

Charons.6037

Just came here to post about this issue – wanted to start a new thread but I guess it fits in here as well.

I haven’t been big on the whole event, and the rewards do need some work, most of all I’m actually disappointed by the lack of karma from the events. Enemies dropping loot and/or experience usually means very little here for a level 80 character, and the primary focus is the skins you get from blooms, which you can get during the weekend event if you got just the daily chests. Not here to rant about that though.

The biggest problem I had with the implementation of this event was that if you are one of the unlucky ones that disconnect during an event, you might as well give up on the entire thing as you aren’t getting anything for finishing the event after reconnecting, no matter how many stacks you got. I’ve done the Brisban invasion today after daily reset and managed to get a disconnect after reaching 10 stacks or so. When I reconnected and finished the event with around 6 this time, I got no reward, and no daily chest either. Tried the Brisban event the next time it came into rotation, and managed to get a disconnect after only a few minutes of being in the map and getting only a few stacks. I just gave up after that. Other maps were fine so far, but for some reason I’ve been disconnecting in the Brisban one with the highest frequency (4 or so times during the weekend, though most were on the first day,

How can an event be designed without people that experience connection problems in mind after such a long time is beyond me. After all, disconnecting on a first day of a large scale event is almost a given for most nowadays, and plenty more experience that during the course of the days it’s active.

I get that most of the problems with scaling and the rewards can be easily fixed by extending the event, increasing the rewards and such, but the disconnection problem is still one that isn’t so easily fixed and requires planning ahead. So please keep that in mind when designing both one time events and events that persist (world bosses STILL have this problem).

Almost three years ago I participated in the Lost Shores one-time event and had a disconnect during the last boss fight. I could not join the map again where the event was active. So many people were in the same situation, and we had devs join the map to talk to us and try to calm down the mob of players. It wasn’t fun for anyone. This is far from what happened back then, but it is something to think about when designing events.

Hopefully this event gets more attention and we get to see it in a better light.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

The only thing that will ever get me playing these farm events are the champ bags and the enemy drop (specially chance for rarer materials) with a magic find bonus.

The first Aetherblade content, orr region and Watchwork were the best farms.

The first iteration of the Queen’s Gauntlet was mindless farming, but it was fun.

I did this new event once and it was enough.

Posted by: RebornbyFire.7913

RebornbyFire.7913

So, after playing this event several times through, I feel like, honestly, it’s really close to being good — in fact, it basically is a pretty decent, fun event, except that the reward system is terrible and encourages exactly the wrong sort of play, especially in a newbie-friendly event stationed in newbie areas.

Here are the main problems, as I see them, and my suggested solutions:

1. The Reward System Encourages Poor Behavior. As it stands, it is difficult to attain even ten stacks (and essentially impossible to reach 20) of the reward-granting buff by playing through the events normally (that is, completing one before moving on to the next). Since the rewards are based on how many events each individual nominally participates in rather than on how many events are completed in a map, the only way to maximize rewards is to selfishly tag a couple things and keep running. Further, while it seems reasonable that the mobs would not themselves drop loot or give exp, the lack of even event rewards removes the value of trying out a lower-level alt in the areas, punishes players for waypointing in order to take part, and slows the progression of new players who wish to take part.
  2. There is no end boss or other sufficiently climactic finale to the event. The lack of an end boss, a final rush for something, a cutscene, or any other appropriate finale makes the whole event feel… weak. It just ends. That’s it. No matter whether many or few events were completed on the map, whether it was a success or a failure, the Mordrem withdraw, but nobody feels any closure.

So, for solutions, I feel like it really isn’t anything terribly complicated.

1. Rewards should be map-wide and encourage teamwork, involvement, and commitement. Suppose each event gave an ordinary event-like reward (like they do in the Silverwastes, for instance): A few blooms, some exp, karma, and a small amount of gold, all of which scaled based on player participation (bronze/silver/gold) in that individual event. Then suppose that each player who participated received the majority of their reward from how many events were completed on the map as a whole. Sure, there might be a few afk-ers, but for the most part, the players would suddenly be appropriately encouraged to work together as a team, map-wide (which would encourage commanders and guilds to do what they’re supposed to be doing and actually organize people into effective groups over large areas), as well as to participate to the fullest in each individual event in order to receive the maximum amount of rewards.
  2. There should be a boss encounter or other appropriate finale event. Besides the obvious satisfaction of the closure one receives from defeating the boss after he comes out to “finish this himself” when his other plans have been thwarted, this fits well with the above-suggested reward theme. Simply let the boss’s appearance depend upon the number of events completed in the map as a whole — that way, few players will really want to afk the event, since doing so will lower both the chances of the boss spawning and of them being around to fight it. Further, it continues to encourage full participation in each individual event and both small and large scale coordination, at least to some extent, in order to finish the events quickly enough to spawn the boss. If you want to hard-cap the map-wide rewards, then simply cause the boss to spawn as soon as a certain number of events are completed, instead of at a certain time — even more discouragement, then, for even partal afk-ing. If you want to soft-cap the max map rewards, then cause a countdown timer for the boss’s arrival to begin when a certain number of events have been completed, but let them continue occurring until the boss arrives.
  3. Finally, the boss should have an at least partially unique drop table. Sure, everyone will want the max rewards anyway, but besides offering a bonus reward of the regular Mordrem Bloom (or whatever) event reward currency for defeating the boss, it should certainly have at least a chance of dropping something(s) which is only obtainable in there — something that people will want to defeat it for.

The only other suggestions I have are that, while the random spawns are a pretty neat idea, for an event like this that is supposed to encourage not only map-wide cooperation but also include a lot of new players who do not have full (or maybe even 50%) completion of these areas, and which requires such swift movement between events, I would recommend choosing several larger sections of the map and putting all of the spawns there in semi-random locations. Let there be a limit, as well, on the number which can be active in each area at once and then let a new one spawn a little ways away almost as soon as a previous one is wiped out. This way, even if a new player does not have much map completion, he/she can at least choose an area to run circles around and fight in, without having to run all the way across the map, and still receive full rewards for participation.

One last thing: Since this seemed like it was also geared towards newer players (particularly the F2P crowd, who can’t even use the Trading Post fully), it seems highly unlikely that any of the meaningful rewards are within their reach, given the high gold cost. 10g for what used to be a cash shop item is great; 10g for a new level 20 F2P player is impossible. It would be highly beneficial, I would think, to also provide some rewards clearly geared towards new players — not crappy rewards, just interesting and useful rewards that older players would very likely not need or already have, but which would be fun and/or useful for newer players. Alternatively, simply promising to keep the reward vendors around for an extended period of time (like at least a few months) and to have further events that utilize/provide this currency in the future would also do the trick nicely. If I had made a new character, found this event, joined in gleefully, but then realized that, although I had the event currency, I was nowhere near the gold I wanted for the cool elite items, it would be very encouraging to know that at least I could have the time to work towards that gold before the event vendor was gone — or that I could later on make up those last 25 blooms I just couldn’t quite get.

Otherwise, the actual individual mechanics of the events were neat ideas, and they were fairly fun to participate in (although sometimes so over-zerged that it was impossible to meaningfully contribute). The main issues were the reward system and the lack of a boss or other finale. Thanks nonetheless for the event, for listening to and reading feedback, and for all of your hard work. God bless.

Posted by: Bilacus.6104

Bilacus.6104

I’m finding it increasingly more and more difficult to build, use and protect catapults as more and more members of the best MMO community are just running past me to tag mobs.
Apparently, according to map chat, it’s Arena Net that’s forcing them to do this, so I was wondering if you would consider forcing people to be friendly and helpful for your next event.
I’d really appreciate that.
Thank you.

One man’s clever sig is most likely another man’s property.
And you may quote me on that.

Posted by: Gravox the Terrible.2157

Gravox the Terrible.2157

13 pages I have not read them all and will not. Apologies as this has probably all been said before, but my feed back anyway.
Thanks for acknowledging that this event was a badly implemented idea.
The biggest problem I thought was you didn’t see how years of the Zerk meta would compound all the bad things about this event.
I pity any new player not lv 80 trying to score a hit on the mobs that were being melted by the horde of vet Zerk players that have been trained into leeching these events to minimize the grinding required for the rewards.
No xp, no loot,no karma, for a vet that considered the skin grind worthwhile this would still be a pain, but for one of the new players this equates to a complete waste of time, as they get no progression at all.
I can understand the grind required for ascended crafting and items like the luminescent armour, but if this is the future of Gw2, a grind for tokens at every event, that is just horrible and players are going to get sick of it real fast.
It’s really unfortunate that you guys dropped the ball on this one, the first event for many new players, you have done such great things in the past. I still tell new players about the Twisted Marionette. I hope going forward we can have a return to that style of event where co-operation was looked for and enjoyed by the players rather than an ugly tag and run zegfest that brings out the worst in player behaviour.
I love the game and can’t wait for the xpan, but I told my nephew not to bother with this weekend and play something else until it was over.
Bring back co-operation to the game, it’s a hundred times more fun.

Posted by: alienfirst.6493

alienfirst.6493

This might get lost amongst these postings, but thank you ANet people who are perusing the forums and reading the commentary and critique. There’s been blind rage (of course), but I see a lot of wonderfully thought out criticisms from people in this thread and I hope some of that gets taken into consideration for future events. After I turned off GW2 today, I left just furious. I’ve never left this game angry. Even when I get trounced in PvP multiple times in a row have I left truly angry. I don’t have any inclination to turn the game on and play for a bit before bed, which is what I usually do.

I made a small reply earlier with further thoughts, and since then I’ve just been stewing and venting on my own. So thank you for reading through what people have to say. And thank you to the GW2 community for offering critique. I like GW2 because it can evolve and change over time, so I’m happy to see people in the thick of it and working to make that happen.

Posted by: OrigamiCircus.6745

OrigamiCircus.6745

Most people have voiced exactly what I felt was wrong with the event already but to summarise:

• Global event counter that offers rewards based on this number
  • If not this then rewards based per stack, rewarding on earning each stack
  • Change on time of events; half hour long with half hour between and then break time with so few blooms rewarded feels very tedious. Only players with enough time on their hands can get to top tier
  • Gold amounts for top tier rewards seems high for new players

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

I really don’t care about how badly designed this event is, but what I do care about is what potential damage it is going to deal to the community.

The game has had a huge problem since release – leechers. Luckily it took quiet a while since leeching became a mainstream thing and the community always managed to balance it out with a lot of players who geniunely just want to help, be it with events in general or helping new players.
But what we have right now is an event that a lot of new players will participate in, tons of these new players will also follow the mapchat and see all these nice advices like “just tag events and go to the next one” or “once you reached x stacks you can just go afk” or comments like "well I got my stacks, time to afk.. ", basically one of the first things new players get in contact with is how you play the system, how you can get the most rewards by playing as little as possible and that this game has a huge flaw that hasn’t been “fixed” over the course of 3 years and probably never will. So now you have a new wave of players who will potentially be “day 1 leechers” that “we”, the helpful players, have to carry through.

What is also sad is that we didn’t get a single developer response here, just Gaile posting PR approved messages like:

“how we can improve on these types of experiences in the future.”

We already did that, with the Scarlet LA attack event. What happened with that feedback? Never found its way into the game apparently. Or do you guys only apply the feedback you receive on the next few updates and then suddenly forget about it?

I do geniuenly love to hear about the development process of this event but I think we will never hear about it.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Signum Apokalyptis.9264

Signum Apokalyptis.9264

Concerning the bugged rewards: How many blooms will we get exactly? Daily + Rewards we would have gotten? Only dailies? Only Rewards? Flat amount for everyone? I’d really like to know a number to know how hard I still have to grind

Leader for Kodash Karmatrain [AG] – hardest slackers EU

Posted by: KhaineAT.5421

KhaineAT.5421

played the event and in the first 3 runs i aimed for the halo.. then i seen the “big” reward for each 30 min event run and skipped the plan to get the Halo. Sadly i used to have an Real Life (Wife, Friends and other stuff) on a WEEKEND and cant play 24/7 to have a chance to get it.

Next Time if u plan a fun Event like this make sure that at least ppl who make evry Event dayli once per day (= 4 Hours Playtime for this Event) that they can have at least 1 of the Items with the Highest Price So that even an casual (when 4 Hours per Day on weekend still counts as Casual) can get 1 of the big goodies. This way Casual noobs like me have fun in a event like that and all ppl who invent more Time get simply more rewards from the shiny list.

And maybe change the events this way that at the end of the event a chest pops up like in the Toxic events in Kessex so that ppl must actualy loot it and not just play Tag n Run.

Posted by: Simzani.4318

Simzani.4318

Solution to alleviate this hard fail : mail 500 blooms to each account. You have the tech to do it only using a server restart, and you don’t have to touch at the event. It would take 10 mins of work, the time to translate your apologies in the letter in the different languages ; could you give me a reason why you don’t do it ?

Posted by: Xelonir.5921

Xelonir.5921

I’ll just list the main problems (from biggest to smalest) I see with this even without reading through all these pages.

1 Reward System
It is, quite frankly, an absolute failure. It promotes anti-social behavior. People only run from event to event to hit some monsters to get event credit, then run to the next. Downed players are left on the ground to die, because rezing would take so much time. Catapults are built but then left for others to use, because one “has to” run to the next event.

Therefore, the reward system needs to be changed completely. A suggestion:
a) Event reward is given only to players who are in the event range at the time it finishes. (Rewards: 5 Blossoms, Karma, XP, Gold)
b) Events occur in waves (every 5 minutes) at a limited amount of locations. There is a timer for the event (4 minutes), if it has not been completed by then, it fails.
c) At the end of the 30 minutes, every player who has participated successfully in at least one event will receive a bonus reward depending on how many events have been finished on that map by all players together.

Additionally, event mobs should give loot and XP like any other mob.

Sidenote: This kind of anti-social behaviour is also observable in the Silverwastes, where players run from event to event (without really helipng to finish them) in ordeer to obtain as many Bandit Crests as possible.

2 Mordrem
It is understandable that you use Mordrem in an event that serves as a sort of prelude to and time-filler for the time until the release of HoT. Unfortunately, the Mordrem mechanics are ill suited for this.

Quite honestly, the Mordrem with their mass-CC are neither interesting nor fun. They are simply annoying. Just like the undead in Orr used to be, until their mass-CC got reduced (thanks to player feedback). Thankfully, so far the Mordrem were mostly confined to the Maguma Wastes.

Putting these kind of mechanics into starter areas is certainly not going to help promote the game for new players.

And I guess it’s too late to ask for improvement of the Mordrem, so I’m not really looking forward to meeting these un-fun monsters in HoT.

3 Server Performance
Having multiple events at different parts of the map in order to spread out the players on the map certainly helps to improve the performance of the servers. But the impact of this many players was still noticable. Not as bad as in WvW, but still.
Funnily enough, it got slightly better from the first day (when most people where still trying to do events properly) to today, with everybody just running around the map to tag as many events as possible.

So I’d say you either need to reduce the map cap a little further or invest into better servers.

(edited by Xelonir.5921)

Posted by: Dantert.1803

Dantert.1803

Wouldn’t it be better if it was more something like Dry Top events where the collective efforts in the maps give rewards to those that played at least 1 eventh through? And you get more rewards if more mordrem events are done in the map in the fixed time span.
So you don’t feel like you have to run around to catch as many events as you can without finishing them because you have to stack the boon, and you are sure that people don’t just kill two mordrem and then afk because you have to wait till the end.
Just y 10 cents..

Posted by: Eowin Of Rohan.2619

Eowin Of Rohan.2619

Contrarily to a lot of people, I don’t think the whole event is bad. There are good and bad things.

Event itself (ignoring rewards)

The events are nice. The problem comes from the time schedule. Waits should be shorter with new maps having the same countdown as the other ones (currently a map created at xx:40 will have an event that ends at xx+1:10 ). And there should be no downtime between each series of 3.

And of course the boon should not go away if we disconnect. You have technology for anti-dc boons (=> boosters). There is no need for another change anyway since they disappear when we get the end reward.

edit : also the scaling of events and the awarding of bronze/silver/gold medals are much better than average.

Rewards

Rewards are only awarded through the blooms, so everyone focuses on the bloom reward rate and associated prices. I think it’s not the way we should look at it.

Blooms

Currently, it requires a lot of investment to get one of the potions, and a descent investement to get skins that used to be in the gemstore (getting daily rewards 3 times => 1 skin, much more investment needed to get more skins). Imho this part is well balanced : ex-gemstore skins should not be awarded easily to the whole playerbase, same goes for potions that required playing a lot during the relevant LS1 episode.

Even the Scarlett boxes are probably OK : they are expensive but contain a lot of rare things. I guess they were made to lower the ridiculous TP prices of some items, but their bloom cost was balanced to avoid completely crashing their price.

The problem with blooms, is that there is no option for people who want to (casually or not) take part in the event but are not interested in the higher rewards that require saving up (or can’t get them). The choice is either save up for higher rewards, or gambled with Scarlet Boxes. There should be interesting low-price items that everyone else can buy at the end of each event. For example, make the bag of rare gear much cheaper and remove the gold cost (seriously paying 50s in addition to the blooms for a 40s item is not a reward !).

The other problem is the scale of blooms/boon-stack. 20 stacks for max are way too many as the ONLY way to get that much is to kill a mordrem and rush away, letting the other peoples complete the event (and get less blooms at the end!). It is OK to make sure that people participate and scale the rewards depending on that, but the method is broken. My idea : give stacks of participation depending on the medal (bronze => 1 stack, silver =>3 stacks, gold => 5 stacks). The medal scaling is well done : hit&run usually grants bronze, and getting gold requires staying for a while and actually helping. Then set the maximum personal reward at something achievable easily by anyone playing “as intented” (=> 25 stacks = 5 gold medals or 25 ‘hit&run’ bronze). In order to encourage spreading and completing the events instead of just killing mordrems, make the end reward depend on map event count – but not with a too wide range, otherwise people will taxi all the time to megaservers with a higher count and a few people who can’t get a taxi will be left with low reward.

Other Rewards

As explained above, the bloom rewards seem to have a given balance that makes sense. The problem is that they are not enough to reward the whole 30 minutes events. The gameplay feels really dry when you don’t get anything for 30 minutes, then only get the blooms.

At the very least, monsters should all have a regular loot table (only disable the champion boxes to prevent problems with people stacking near a few events instead of completing everywhere on the map, drama between people farming champs and people wanting blooms, …) ; and sub-events should have regular reward (small amounts of karma, xp and silver).

With this, we get a regular (even if not as high as farm) reward rate, and the blooms come as a nice end reward.

(edited by Eowin Of Rohan.2619)

Posted by: Dark.4956

Dark.4956

With the disconnections that had been happening throughout the event, especially on saturday. This caused many to lose out on being able to log in and grind the events to get the needed blooms.
On top of the rewards costing too much and the rewards we get from the events so low, it has made it almost impossible for many to get one item from the vendor, let alone more than one.

So as stated by the Dev that nothing can be done (or won’t be) over the event.
Perhaps Anet should send out a chest to every player as an apology for this catastrophe and inside the chest, have it contain a choice of one of the items from the vendor.

This way Anet can seek some forgiveness for how this event turned out, and gain favour by many of the players it has seemed to rile up by offering an event with no worth while incentive to be doing said event.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Contrarily to a lot of people, I don’t think the whole event is bad. There are good and bad things.

I… honestly cannot see the good things about it. Its incredibly poor design that is based on tagging a single mob, then moving on to the next event. And that is all there is too it. There is no end bosses, no loot, no xp, no nothing until you get your tag reward you worked so hard teleporting around the map for.

Its like a lesson on how to do the most anti-social event possible. For GW2, which prides itself on its community and doing events together… that’s just horrible to see. Its sad.

Posted by: Lelling.6795

Lelling.6795

I posted this in a different thread and then noticed this one.

In my opinion (and looks like the opinions of some other people as well), this event could be improved in three easy steps ^^

1. Add a stack for participation in a set range of the event when it’s completed to prevent “tag & run” tactics
2. Change the rewards to be based on the map-wide events completed as opposed to personal (& improve the scaling so it’s more beneficial to spread out)
3. Personal participation stacks work so that 5 stacks = you get the map-wide rewards, 10 stacks (cap) = you get an extra 5/10 blooms.
What does this mean?
Essentially it means that players will want to spread out and effectively do as many events as they possibly can as quickly as possible.
A player will not hunt down events to tag them & leave because they would not get the participation bonus anyway. Plus, since a player only need to do 5 events, there is no pressure to tag & run in the first place.
But wait, then you’re like – wont people AFK? Well, there’s a few factors featuring in this.
First, people AFK already now, and you can’t stop people who do that from doing it entirely, you can only deter it.
Second, because the reward would be based on exactly how many events are done (29 events in area = 29 blooms), you want to actually make sure those events get done.
Third, to encourage people after they got those 5 participation stacks, they can still get to 10 personal stacks which would add an additional few blooms.
I find that if you don’t tag & run (which I don’t), you get about 10 stacks anyway, so there’s no time to AFK :P

Cyan Vei | whole bunch of other alts
[DV] Leader, OpenCommunity admin

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

OK, so my previous post was before i played the event after the rewards got fixed, now after doing a couple more after they were things are a bit different, so here’s my renewed feedback:

• So the scaling has been fixed, its easier now to get participation, unlike the early version, not really sure if this is a good thing, because too many times i see myself in the middle of a zerg doing an event and 10 seconds later there’s 10 of us struggling to complete it. This just stresses the point that the individual rewards don’t work well with map-wide events.
  • The waiting time is too long, to the point it becomes distracting, and more often than not i’ll go pvp, do a dungeon, fractals whatever and end up missing the next one.
  • The reward prices were very poorly thought out, its impossible for most people to get enough blooms for rewards, specially because of the ADD factor in the 30 minute intervals between maps. That’s probably the most glaring example of miscalculation from developers.
  • If this event was made to entice new players, it failed hard to cater to lower level, or leveling players, no experience, no Karma, no gold???? Just a couple of rewards most new players don’t even value because they don’t know how rare they are? Yeah.
    Most new players on my guild (in fact most people on my guild) just gave up on those, the only people i’ve seen investing some time in the event was me and the only other 3 year old character active in the guild.
  • The idea of the event was cool, the individual events are fun, actually, its just the meta mechanics that were poorly thought out. Also wouldn’t be too bad (and probably the thing you had planned) if some of the new mobs -aka mordrem guard – would pop out in some of the most upscaled ones.
    Next events please avoid individualizing the rewards, make the rewards favor overall map performance, than individual tags, do think more deeply on the price/reward/time to complete ratio on your rewards. I know arena net sometimes shows a mean sadistic streak on events and rewards, but kitten , this one is just pure vile. Dangling all those LS1 rewards in front of players (like me for example) that didn’t get them the first time around for whichever reason, but at the same time saying we can’t ever, in any humanly possible manner get them all? That was plain wrong, and really nothing i’d ever expect from GW2.

Posted by: Necfromancer.6495

Necfromancer.6495

Hi Arenanet,

Don’t normally post on the forums and really that’s bad as when you get stuff right, and you have done lately quite a bit, we should reward you by letting you know, though to be honest when that’s the case I’m probably too caught up online playing, haha.

I came on to let you know I agree with the consensus about rewards. I understand your reasoning for not having mobs drop loot or give xp but it just makes doing a good job of an event feel less worth it so I can hardly be angry at the people who want to maximise their benefit by tagging events and then leaving.

And then in terms of the amounts of blooms we’re rewarded it’s simply not enough. As someone who has given all there free time so far but unfortunately has work and, not unfortunately but still, has a girlfriend who I don’t want to abandon all weekend I can’t participate in every event cycle so I feel I’m left with no options bearing in mind I’ve still put all the time I’ve found into this event.

Either we get rewarded too little or the items are too expensive.

And just one last thing I’ve thought of as I’m typing this, even if I had the time I doubt it would feel like I was incentivised as the daily first completion bonus is worth more than the amounts you get based on how well you’ve done. Going around the map actually completing events I can probably finish with 13 – 16 events finished which would only give me 10 blooms… against, say, 30 if I do just as well my first time around.

It’s just badly balanced. Please look into this, and please either choose to offer more opportunities in the future to earn more blooms or retroactively increase the rewarded amounts based on events completed. The second option may be more complicated than I think, but seeing as you must have records of who completed the events and how many events they had stacked since this is all very similar to the bugged rewards to begin with and how you retroactively fixed that then I think this at least gives you a good starting place if you wanted to increase our rewards.

So please look into this and please let us know what’s being done.

Thank you

Posted by: grknwrt.5493

grknwrt.5493

No loot = No fun, simple as that.

Even if you made the most interesting event ever but it didn’t gave any rewards for players time it would become a ghost town after a few days.

People farming mobs is not an excuse to punish everyone directly, it killed the fun, it brought event tagging and afking… afking all day, like in The Silverwastes. I don’t want to tag and afk my rewards, i don’t want to do that, its not fun but i feel forced to do it and when you do the SW for a millionth time you will just tag stuff and watch a TV show.

Punishing players with the loot system needs to stop. The Silverwastes do not work, it rewards at the end but it isn’t FUN. The fun was while you were putting effort into doing an event and found a precursor weapon for your effort with your magic find, it was a great joy back in vanilla maps, then you introduced luck system it got even better.. until now.

I took part in the BWE 2, did all the events in the map i could do. I saw some of the mobs would finally drop some loot, some “???” items, even some champs at the end of events would drop beaded pouches, it was getting better. Mass spawned mobs didn’t drop anything and that need to change but it was better then SW and i’d like to see more of that.

The event scaling and rewards need adjustments. Those mass spawned champions because of the event scaling are the main offenders of farming. They still need to drop loot, but only veteran quality loot, no champion bags. Champions at the end of the events like in new HoT maps should still give full loot and everything else including elite mobs need their loot back and but please put a stop to the gutting of rewards anymore, its not fun and nobody wants to tag and afk.

Posted by: Eowin Of Rohan.2619

Eowin Of Rohan.2619

I… honestly cannot see the good things about it. Its incredibly poor design that is based on tagging a single mob, then moving on to the next event. And that is all there is too it. There is no end bosses, no loot, no xp, no nothing until you get your tag reward you worked so hard teleporting around the map for.

Its like a lesson on how to do the most anti-social event possible. For GW2, which prides itself on its community and doing events together… that’s just horrible to see. Its sad.

Maybe you could read further than the 1st sentence. Btw, “… tagging a single mob then moving on to the next event … all there is to it” isn’t a problem with the events themselves but the reward structure with the max reward being too high so it encourages the behavior you describe. I talked about this somewhere in my post. Now maybe you could try actually playing the events, like all the players that do and let you get the stacks (because you would get no stack at all if everyone was a leecher like you).

Posted by: John.5732

John.5732

I agree with almost all of the complaints here. I would like to add that i think this new currency should be in the updated wallet. Why did the wallet get updated if it is not going to be used?

Leader of the Kingdom of [Shu] Guild
Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

If there was a reason to hang around at the end a lot of the problems would be gone. Remove the count and make sure whoever has contributed can harvest a bloom at the end, like the toxic alliance events.

Also, I missed out on Saturday night Oceania time because of the routing problem, so it would be great if you extended by a day, or even revisited with a tweak like the one I suggested.

Posted by: Freyah.8912

Freyah.8912

I’ve seen catapult and shield events go on for more than 7 minutes now, being rather upscaled most of the time because ppl keep popping in and out just o get their tag but not contributing to the progress AT ALL.

This!
So much this.
Also: getting ganked by the mobs that need to be cleared after the Vine Crawler Spawner has been destroyed because everybody is running away like possessed to have time for another event.

Posted by: Grand Avatar of Destruction.2537

Grand Avatar of Destruction.2537

- Honestly I like the idea of doing Mordrem invasions in lower level areas, it introduces them to newer players and lets veteran players visit old areas they have had no reason to go to in a long time.

- I was a participant in the huge mob invasions back in the Scarlet living world arc and I like how an effort was made to evolve the events past: “Everyone smash champ’s face in until the portal closes” However I do agree with the people that mentioned the lack of a climax or boss fight. So about those Bad Kitten Mordrem generals you are talking about ;-)

- While I understand that the loot and XP from the Scarlet invasions was way out of control (I personally leveled at least 2 characters from, about 30-40ish to 80 on them and made stupid amounts of gold) I feel that giving no loot/coin or XP from the invasion events/mordrem enemies gives the vast majority of people little reason to attend them. I myself was looking forward to getting on a lowbie and leveling up while stomping all over mordrem in a lower level area, but the lack of XP gives me little reason to attend the events with anything other than an 80. But honestly the worst hurt are the people without level 80s just trying to level up their first character.

All this said I do appreciate the effort A-net and I am happy you where honest with us about the invasion flopping, keep at it though I am sure I am not alone in saying I would like to see more large scale invasion events like this in the future it helps the world feel more dynamic and alive.

Posted by: Vykoz.7803

Vykoz.7803

Absolutely horrendous event…

Bottlenecked so you cant just grind it out when you have time.

No loot, makes it boring really really fast, guess some like karma / exp too and i dont see why not, is it so terrible a thought that we might actually earn a bit of gold while doing this mind numbing event?

Event promotes tagging / leeching, which is against all thoughts of group play.

Forced to wait to get reward, even if you just wanted 5 blooms + your daily.

People with families / jobs and little time have no chance at getting what they want.

Feels like an absolute grind, even for people that do have the time.

Youre screwed if you DC and you cant just get back in and grind it, cause of the bottlenecked setup….

It is disturbing, to say the least, how this got past your quality assurance team or how your dev’s thought this was fun??

I really hope that we wont see stuff like this in the expansion but i’m scared that you have released this and that this might be your intended way to play the game…

Posted by: Kikaku.7416

Kikaku.7416

Some of this might already have been posted, so if it has, let this post add emphasis to those ideas.

The rewards are pretty low. First, you should get gold/karma/experience from events. I don’t think that should ever be turned off for any event.

Second, I would kind of think that in terms of the rewards you can buy, people who spend 16+ hours a day all weekend should be able to buy quite a few of the best rewards, and casual people who only put in a few hours a day should be able to buy just one or two. You have to grind all weekend to buy one or two, and without any other rewards, it just doesn’t feel like a lot.

The tag-and-go mentality isn’t fun either. In order to get 20+ stacks it is impossible to stay at each event until completion. How about better rewards in terms of blooms for better participation? 1 stack for bronze, 2 stacks for silver, 3 stacks for gold?

Better yet, the tiered reward system deters participation as well. When people feel they can’t hit the next level, they stop playing because they won’t get any more rewards. Some folks stop at 5, some at 10, and a lot stop at 20. Why not just give 1 bloom for every event completed? It would mean a little more blooms going out than maybe was planned, but the rewards are a bit too low anyways.

Posted by: Naldeir.4659

Naldeir.4659

the event is quite nice… not really like it, but not hate it either…

but… this infuriating experience happens for the first time in this 3 days…

event ended in 2 minutes… oh well… i think i wont get anymore stack… stop at 14
stood up… take a drink… back…

DCed

scream internally

login back while hoping stacks not lose… (im aware that if you change map you’ll lose all the stack i dunno if dc make it lost too…)

logged… 1 min left… no stacks… no vine to kill

event ended… no reward… no daily first map reward…

2 mins left… and dc…???

Please… T_T… literally 30 minutes wasted for nothing…

please dont make event’s reward that base on stacks on buff that lost if you change map…

item maybe? or i dunno…

i believe you guys can figure something else…

no want wanted to DCed at event… but sometimes ssss happen…

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

They could drop the price for Blooms with 90% of current value (example: 45 Blooms for 1 Potion). That would make all players happy (including casuals) because they can get what they want with just one daily.

Think about it ArenaNet. The rewards were the biggest problem, so drop the prices on event’s currency, and you shall get happy customers that will forget bad elements of this event.

(edited by Acrisor.8097)

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Few simple changes I’d make.

• Tagging and moving on shouldn’t produce better rewards
  • The break times are a pain to anyone who simply plays at the wrong time
  • Too big of daily reward too small of regular rewards

To elaborate, first the tagging and moving on. Do not put so much of the reward on simply getting base credit for events. Either have the rewards level scale (need a gold for full blooms, silver for half, bronze gets ya nothing or smallest possible), or have the rewards given out at the spot through a chest that despawns quickly so you have to be there at the end. I’m sure more options could be thought of but you should be rewarded for going and actually contributing to finishing an event, not for simply killing one enemy and waypointing across the map. I’m sure this has been repeated endlessly though.

Break times… I logged in to the game at 8:20 this morning thinking I’d go work on this event a little. See it’s in Diessa go, and have time to catch a few events and get my 5 blooms having already done daily (which I’ll hit on next). So next up… ohh an hour break. Cool, so my goal for my playtime this morning has me waiting 1hour. What happened to the “we don’t want you to be waiting to have fun”? I realize this is not the context that quote was aiming at, but it fits none the less. If I had slept in another hour and logged in I’d have 3 hours of stuff to do without any break. It simply feels wrong.

Now, Dailies, They’re good they promote playing some every day. But now you’re asking I play 3 hours a day to get 60 blooms which would take waypointing and tagging as many events as I possibly could to match from the non daily ones. This is a weekend event, people get busy, having such a focus on getting them in each day and not letting them binge one day and go and have a life the others without seriously missing out just doesn’t feel right. Miss a day and you have to seriously work your kitten off to make up for it if you’re after one of the higher rewards. Feels a bit punishing.

Overall the event just feels terribly designed from a reward standpoint. The events are actually pretty neat, I really like the one where you kill husks to throw the bombs at the vine in the poison death field. That’s neat. But, playing that all the way through leaves me with less reward. Logging in at the wrong time has me sitting on my bum. And because I was busy I missed some dailies and now have a huge upward climb. There’s just nothing positive to say in regards to the reward system, it’s almost to the point that I feel I should just give up because I don’t think I’ll be able to get the only rewards I actually want. (thoughtless potion which I could have gotten back when it was out originally but it wasn’t usable where I’d want it, which changed right at the end of the event past the time I could have earned enough to buy one silly me for not seeing that coming).

The event has left me very salty, and I know that’s not the feeling you want your players having.

Posted by: Rygg.6237

Rygg.6237

As a whole here’s my take on the whole events/map activities on this game.

In spite of the claims of most of the Anet team (mostly Colin) say that GW2 is a game meant to be about exploring and being involved in a dynamic living world of events (which if I might say that the dynamic event system is great) and getting involved in dynamic combat fights (which is what has made me stick to GW2 in the first place) IMO it doesn’t feel like that, here’s what the current dynamic events feel like:
1) Follow a tag/tag up
2) tag mobs to get credit for a reward, mostly brainlessly facetanking stuff and just using autoattacks most of the time (optional but most of the players doing this do not even know or are familiar with the combat mechanics altogether)
3) Colin has explicitly said since the beta announcement that they do not want the game to have maps turned into wastelands, take a look at the game in it’s current form, most of the maps that are not profitable or do not have event chains that have a decent income are empty, take a look at the Mordrem Invasion event, most people are still there because of the selfless/thougthless potion and nothing else.

There are a ton of fixes, I do not like to do this events mainly because I find it boring to death just running in circles swinging my sword around hitting one while being unkillable (I’m looking at you GW2 manifesto), remember GW? remember the 55HP monk, SS Necro and, WaMos farming Aatxes in UW/Minotaurs/Hydras? that was grinding yes, but it required learning managing AND effectively using your skills to not die, not just running around hitting whatever keys you like and not understanding the game mechanics just to get gold and get generic skins (because most of the good stuff is absurdly expensive) if you want to look at it this way most of the “endgame” comes from grinding to get skins and it’s just a timegate, farm SW for 4 months with a dungeon here or there and you can just buy a legendary.

Suggestions:
1) add meaningful fights, be it solo or not but that actually require getting used to and using game mechanics to a minimum, Liadri was a good example of this, Queen’s Gauntlet, and even some Silverwastes fights, heck if all champions gave fights even like Shadow of the dragon the Dynamic Events would be much more meaningful
2) add some background story telling during the events, it wouldn’t hurt much and it would add much more live to them
3) make the reward system be actually rewarding, you were there the whole event? then give a fair enough ammount of tokens, just tagged some mobs to get a chest? give much less reward to those players, spent 60+ hours farming? give them decent rewards such as options to exchange tokens/trophies for ascended gear chests OR meaningful materials.
4) Encourage teamwork, but discourage mindless zerging, this game gets the best from optimized and good teamwork in all game modes I know that isn’t possible in unorganized groups but making them try to get organized is a good start and encourages socializing with your peers which is good for MMOs if done right. The big problem with GW2 is mindless zerging as it just doesn’t use the combat system as it could, the only zergs that actually make use of combo fields, CC and boons is the WvW community and some organized world boss runs.
5) Add overall good rewards in each map/zone that adds a lot to the whole thing about maps turning into wastelands, champion farming trains sort of made this possible but in the long run people will just run to the more bang for buck places, see Dry Top vs Silverwastes.

Posted by: Rygg.6237

Rygg.6237

PVE REWARD TRACKS INITIATIVE
So when the reward track system was brought to PvP it has a lot of good and bad stuff with it, but overall you could say it gives a better sense to giving players a feeling of getting rewarded for their time invested on an activity.

The thing is make a reward track per dynamic event you design. Let’s make this event an example.

Mordrem Invasion reward track:
total tiers 10-12.
Getting a tier done needs 4-6 vine crawlers killed, each time you finish a tier you get champion loot bags.
Each 2 tiers gets you tokens that you can exchange for something, and 25-50s. (total for all tiers as bonus= around 1-2g besides the loot you get from mobs AND smaller chests from lesser tiers).
Finishing the track gives you a choice of: ascended crafting materials and for this I truly mean choice of recipe, choice of type of material needed (making each event a certain stat themed track i.e. one for zerk, one for sinister, one for rabid, one for valk, etc.), tomes of knowledge or runes/sigils.

This way a lot of new people could get a lot of options to get geared, keeping casual players in tune with hardcore ones, and hardcore players would feel way much rewarded.

Posted by: RespiteRau.2075

RespiteRau.2075

Since commentary on what is problematic about this world event has been solicited, I’ll add my voice to say:

1. A central reason why I play GW2 is because of the game mechanics rewarding cooperation. Yet map chat prior to Mordrem Invasion instances is full of people talking about how there is no way to get enough blooms before the event ends to get the top skin rewards unless you selfishly tag-and-run. So not only does the event reward selfish behavior, but morale for those who are actually trying to make a specific encounter successful has deteriorated over the course of the weekend as we are laughed at in map chat by jerks whose behavior is being rewarded.

2. As everyone has said, the rewards are insufficient. I played a full 3-hour cycle complete with daily bonus chests, got enough blooms for a mini egg, and received a common mini I already had worth around 70 silver. I’d make more gold just gathering. I think that getting loot drops from enemies killed just like those we’d get if we were doing standard PvE would go a long way to encouraging people to see that at least their time wasn’t wasted if they get cheap dyes or minis our of their bloom rewards.

3. Seriously, no XP or karma for kills? I tried this event first on a lower-level character, because I wanted to level. I leveled a character in the prior Scarlett’s invasion events, and that was a major incentive to participate. Getting no XP actively discourages lower-level characters from playing.

4. Also, while for experienced players these events, while challenging to win, were not challenging to figure out, the same is not true for new players. I approve of holding events in lower-level areas so that newer players can participate. But I encountered some bewildered (and quickly killed) newbies. It seems to me it would have been simple and easy to put a NPC next to the bloom vendor in each area to explain to inexperienced players the aim of each type of sub-event and a few simple tips (they’re safer with a ranged weapon; look on the world map for the red Xs; basic stuff that would actually allow new players to participate, but that other players don’t want to explain mid-event).

5. As many have noted, the scheduling of these events combined with the maximum of one bonus chest per map per day per account was really frustrating. You really needed to set aside three specific hours a day to get enough blooms for major rewards, and lots of people can’t do that. If I go, “Oh, a special weekend world event, I will arrange my weekend so I have all Sunday afternoon and evening to play!” I get just one shot at the bonus chests even though I have actually arranged to spend a big chunk of time in-game.

Finally, I want to say that is seems the foundational idea behind the low rewards was that the Scarlett’s Invasion events were too rewarding. I don’t understand this. There was such great participation and satisfaction from players that I know in the Invasion events, because people like rewards. It’s basic game psychology. I know I participated a great deal, because I was able to gear up my characters from drops, and earn substantial gold. I don’t generally farm because I don’t like grinding, but in the context of a special world event, it’s fun.

I hope the next world event is improved by all the feedback people are offering.

Posted by: Flurry of dancing flames.9830

Flurry of dancing flames.9830

Someone so rightly pointed out in my Guild that he has 200%+ MF and doesn’t see the point in it if so many mobs don’t drop any loot!?
It’s frustrating when you put so much effort into breaking your mouse clicking all those luck essences, EVEN WITH ARTIFICING.
Cmon..

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

This!
So much this.
Also: getting ganked by the mobs that need to be cleared after the Vine Crawler Spawner has been destroyed because everybody is running away like possessed to have time for another event.

But the truth of the matter is that leaving those mobs for someone else to hit benefits other players. A lot of the behavior being decried as “selfish” actually benefits the majority of players. While I would very much prefer an event that rewards players for staying and completing each spot, and very much sympathize with other players that feel the same way, it directly conflicts with the design of this event. Sad, but true.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

I rarely come here to post or reply but I just want the devs to know how important it is for us players to not be punished in any way by having a disconnect in the middle of a play session, more importantly if we are going to lose any progress we have made in a said event. If there was a way to “save” that progress for a few minutes so we have the time to log back in, it would be great, and yes I know we can do the next event in 30 minutes but for some 30 min are alot and dont have time for more.

We completely agree with you. The team will be working on a way to address this. I don’t know if progress would be saved, that’s a question for a designer or programmer. However, at the least, we don’t want someone to lose their rewards!

Past week has been full of lag/disconnects and I’ve lost the stacking buff TWICE now over the past 2 days that I have free time after work inevitably resulting in getting zero reward. Nothing. Absolute zilch.

This is wrong.

There should be a system/feature in place that saves your stack of buffs for at least 2 minutes or so in order to reconnect.

As much as I really want to work for a particular reward, it is simply impossible due to the constant lagging/disconnects.

This thread applicable: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Absolutely-Insane-Lag-Spikes/first#post5473541

Still happening.

Thank you for pointing out that thread. I have responded in that thread in detail and with process suggestions that I hope will be followed by players, to allow us to help them.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Hazelaar.5720

Hazelaar.5720

“As we mentioned yesterday, we will be taking care of those of you who did not get your rewards, so look for those in your in-game mail in the coming days.”

Curious to see if this is actually going to happen, because I’ve had about a 50% rate of actually being able to finish events. And, so wonderfully frustrating, I’m usually kicked out in the last 5-10 minutes, after I’ve invested a fair amount of effort but too late to be able to rejoin and scrounge something last-minute. Really wanted to enjoy this, but kittening hell.

Posted by: John.8507

John.8507

There should be more rewards. it should be 20 blooms for 5 + stacks,

A comment in chat summed up everything wrong with the event nicely.

A player told the rest of the map to tag events and run, and then said completing events doesn’t matter, they will complete themselves on there own, and stacks are more important.

The average player seems to be just about managing 10 stacks, unless they do tag and run.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Except they don’t complete on their own, they are completed by players who don’t tag and run and end up getting stuck on 9 done when it would be easily 15 or more of taggers stay to help.

I’ve run out of fingers the number of times I got owned while manning a catapult or finding a catapult unmanned while defending it because someone got off a shot and ran off.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: DougTheSlug.3920

DougTheSlug.3920

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Good Idea – Daily rewards of mordrem blooms. This is a good way to control the number of blooms going on, and helps keep some rarity for the final rewards.

Good Idea – Casual-Core players should be able to get one skin through reasonably consistent playing. Hardcore players can get a more expensive “skin”.

Bad Idea – Multiple events that have dailies that are hours apart. Many Casual players might not have multiple hours a day to devote to these events. If you have time to hit one event a day, you won’t have enough to get a skin, and will end up with pretty poor rewards, especially since there’s such a high gold cost to the rewards.
Suggestion: Diminishing return daily rewards. Example: First daily = 40 blooms, second daily = 20 blooms, third daily = 10 blooms.

Bad Idea – Trying to gold sink on the rewards while promoting this event as your first Free2Play event.
Suggestion: No gold sink, especially so close to a whole pile of new accounts (f2p announcement) without the ability to gain some of this gold during these events

Good Idea – Map wide events in multiple maps that aren’t used as much.

Bad Idea – Placing meta-events overlapping existing events.
- How many F2P players are getting random non-meta events confused with the meta events?
- How many events are made more difficult on a strict/rushed timeframe as a result of additional mobs. Especially “toxic” mobs which are non-trivial kills.
Suggestion: You’re already going to the effort of completely programming a zone with new events. Either place them in non-overlapping spots, or disable overlapped events for the duration of the meta.

The Ugly – Existing Reward Frameworks completely ignored
- This is an ongoing issue with anet, so I’ll refrain from making this too rant-y. You keep setting up frameworks to build on later to make your game easier and better to expand, and then ignore or shut them down at a future point instead of working with them.
- Will the Birthday boosters that were in use prior to this event be replaced, for the countless hours of play I’ve done in this weekend’s event where they’ve had zero effect/impact?
Suggestion: Stop ignoring existing frameworks. This time around, you’ve ignored Champ Bags, event rewards (karma, XP, gold), creature kill rewards (XP, loot/MagicFind, gold) and achievements. I’m at a loss for words here,
Suggestion: Please fix the underlying issues of event scaling to prevent side-effects of champ bag farming goals going against actual event completion goals. Maybe your scaling needs to pump out less champs and more elites.

The Ugly – Stacks of events completed equal better rewards
- This concept of tag & skip is being abused. You should be rewarding doing the events, not who can get out of combat the fastest to WP to the next one. This has been another ongoing problem: motivating your players to actually complete the events as desired.
Suggestion: Counter selfish behaviour – Gold event reward = 5 stacks, Silver = 3 stacks, Bronze = 1 stack. Get 35 stacks for 10 blooms?

Bad Idea – Huge amount of waypointing required without any knowledge of the event status. I’ve lost count the number of times I’ve waypointed and run to a nearby event on the minimap only to have the event complete as I arrive.
Suggestion: For map-wide events, there needs to be some sort of status to indicate how far along an event is, because the regular event framework has a very small “status” radius.

Conclusions:
Do not throw out the baby with the bath water.
Please hire someone who tests your concepts & designs both destructively and selfishly

Posted by: Ironwill.5389

Ironwill.5389

Personal Opinion the Events:

- The events are lazy copy pasta from various events of the past (stolen graphics from silver wastes, similar design to original scarlet’s events with the Kessex hillls blooms from tower of nightmares type mini-game design. Not what I was expecting in terms of an invasion event… (expected a wave of mob type invasion where we repel groups, not mini-games)

- No attempt was made to place these events in a well thought out way.. (in the middle of other events) which is either a big oversight or just again lazy design.

Rewards:

- The global achievement buff doesn’t work; a simpler solution would be blooms/gold/silver/bronze event (why did you try to bypass the existing system?)

- Breaking the events into phases with increasing rewards would promote staying at events and discourage tagging.. people have to move the event forward to get the better rewards and the faster they move the event the greater the rewards. (you guys had this figured out in the Scarlett events.. did you forget?)

- Speaking of rewards, they are terrible (the level of grinding needed to get them in 4 days is obscene) The rewards of 2 chests with everything possible in them is pretty RNG, so the assumption is that you’re going to turn this into a long term event where the RNG isn’t so obnoxious and someone actually has a chance at getting what they need/want eventually. (personally I was hoping to get the last set of knight cores I needed for my back piece, but given the amount of junk in the chests I doubt this will happen and I’ll have to hit the TP) I assume since the tricolour chest is in Lion’s Arch that this will have a permanent fixture in the game somewhere.

PR (i.e. how the event was sold):

- This event was sold as a good time to be in a guild and was put in starter zones for the new players…
No starting player is going to have 10 gold, and will not have the gear/stats to do enough damage to tag the mobs or survive the events easily, or enough spare change to hop waypoints. If this was the design goal the event was supposed to be created for, then the event design is a horrible failure.
- the event doesn’t reward Karma, Gold, Loot, Experience.. this isn’t an event for a new player, but some older players that can farm the ignorance of newer players sticking to the events while they tag multiple events for better rewards for themselves. (seriously sticking an event to the end will yield 1-4 stacks of the global buff, while not having the waypoints means that they’ll have to run from event to event… so not only are new players penalized via unachievable rewards and less chance of getting credit, it’s also impossible to get better rewards by the fact they can’t hop events as fast as older players )
- There’s no guild benefit, other than organizing to hop events to get 20 stacks of the buff… which a new player wouldn’t benefit from.

- I can see how new players would find the event frustrating.. running to the event to only find the event done by a zerg and having to run to another one only to find the process repeat, or have the zerg bail on the event from tagging and get squished.
- the mobs go down awfully quick, which makes getting credit difficult so not only are the events over quickly in a zerg scenario, but the number of people that can get credit is small.

- What the event was sold as (new player/guild experience) vs. what it actually is (a massive grind/money sink for older players) is what I think most people are offended about.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Hello,

I asked the head of the GW2 Design Team about whether we would be making changes and rerunning it, extending it, or repeating it as it currently is designed. At this time, we are not going to extend the event, nor do we have plans at this time to repeat it, either amended or in its current form.

The Mordrem Invasion event will run through its allotted time. It ends at 9:00 AM tomorrow, Monday. As explained in my earlier thread, no changes will be made to the event beyond the fixes that were made on Thursday and, of course, the distribution of earned rewards for those who were impacted by that bug. (The bug ran from 9:00 AM until about 4:00 PM Pacific time. If you earned blooms during that period but did not receive them or received fewer than the intended amount, they will be sent to you via in-game mail. NPCs will remain in place — particularly in the Priory.

I hope this info is helpful to you. And thanks to those of you who provided constructive suggestions about the event — your thoughts are very appreciated. What’s constructive: “Rewards might be [this]” or “I like the rewards in [that] and suggest you adopt that system for this sort of event.” What’s not constructive: “Rewards are bad” (with absolutely no suggestions for how they might be improved).

I think you guys get it, and I understand that some of you are pretty “hot under the collar” about the event. But please try to give us ideas we can work with — that’s to everyone’s benefit.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Thank you for coming back to the thread and telling us about what will happen (or not) with this event.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Thanks for not extending the event and getting back to us. At this point the only way to save it at all is to let it die.

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Except they don’t complete on their own, they are completed by players who don’t tag and run and end up getting stuck on 9 done when it would be easily 15 or more of taggers stay to help.

I’ve run out of fingers the number of times I got owned while manning a catapult or finding a catapult unmanned while defending it because someone got off a shot and ran off.

True. If I am at an event with a limited number of players, or if I come across an event with few players after I have hit 10 stacks (I spend to long at each one to get to 20), I make a point to stay and help. I was thinking more of the situation where a spot is mobbed by 30+ people.

(edited by Misguided.5139)

Posted by: BetaFlame.4306

BetaFlame.4306

Hello,

I asked the head of the GW2 Design Team about whether we would be making changes and rerunning it, extending it, or repeating it as it currently is designed. At this time, we are not going to extend the event, nor do we have plans at this time to repeat it, either amended or in its current form.

That’s extremely disappointing to hear. I was hoping it would be extended as had been requested by so many. I missed the events with the skins the first time they were released, and this was my chance to get them. Now I can’t because of anets poorly designed event.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Hello,

The Mordrem Invasion event will run through its allotted time. It ends at 9:00 AM tomorrow, Monday. As explained in my earlier thread, no changes will be made to the event beyond the fixes that were made on Thursday and, of course, the distribution of earned rewards for those who were impacted by that bug. (The bug ran from 9:00 AM until about 4:00 PM Pacific time. If you earned blooms during that period but did not receive them or received fewer than the intended amount, they will be sent to you via in-game mail. NPCs will remain in place — particularly in the Priory.

I hope this info is helpful to you. And thanks to those of you who provided constructive suggestions about the event — your thoughts are very appreciated. What’s constructive: “Rewards might be [this]” or “I like the rewards in [that] and suggest you adopt that system for this sort of event.” What’s not constructive: “Rewards are bad” (with absolutely no suggestions for how they might be improved).

I think you guys get it, and I understand that some of you are pretty “hot under the collar” about the event. But please try to give us ideas we can work with — that’s to everyone’s benefit.

As far as Rewards go, I think the community deserves to be sent a box with their choice of one of the “concessions” from the event vendor whether they participated or not. Respectfully, this event was handled poorly from every possible facet from the content itself, to rewards, to communication prior to the event even starting. Stuff that was explained about the event in the blogpost didn’t even come to fruition—i.e. staff playing in this event/guild recruitment didn’t happen because the event was bad/starting time stated as 9AM PST and actually didn’t even start til 930AM—. All the way around this event was botched. I think it would be fair for the community to get a little gift in the form of a choice of rewards from the event vendor sans any cost to them.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Ironwill.5389

Ironwill.5389

Just another quick one:

Don’t design the mobs to go after the guy in the catapault. While it makes sense, most people wait for the mobs to kill the poor soul manning it so they can get a shot off to get credit for the event… (yes I’ve seen this happen and it is going on… crowds waiting for the mobs to finish off the guy in the catapult so they can get their turn at it… or get credit for repairing it) if the guy in the cata is left alone, he at least stands a chance of getting credit for completing the event vs the people that leave him high and dry.

I’ve also seen people intentionally pushing exploding mobs into the kill zone around the vines so they can get the explosive charge, or die trying… (how does that mini-game even make sense btw??)