Most obscure name that's been taken?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

What’s the most obscure, non-original, character name you’ve been unable to get because someone beat you to it?

When I’m making permanent characters I usually use something that (as far as I know) is totally original, but for temporary characters I sometimes think it’s fun to use a name from a book or movie or whatever that I like. I wasn’t exactly surprised when I couldn’t get Alleria Windrunner or Kvothe because someone else had gotten there first. Or when I saw someone called Gandalf the Grey in-game (although actually meeting the person who got the name is unusual).

But today when I randomly decided to call my new character Zanthia after a character from The Legend of Kyrandia (a series of early 90’s point and click adventure games) I thought I had a decent chance. But no, Zanthia, Zanthia the Mystic and every other variation I could think of was taken (or too long).

So now I’m curious what experiences other people have had. Has there been a name you were sure you could get because although it’s not original it’s not well known either, only to find another fan had beaten you to it?

(For the record this isn’t a rant. I actually think it’s quite cool that there are other Kyrandia fans who play GW2. I just find it amusing that I thought no one would even get the reference only to find they’d not only get it, they’d already used it.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I couldn’t get Prince Charrming at launch.
Yeah, I know, terrible, obvious pun. =P
He was Prinz Charrming for a while, until I decided to get more lore appropriate. Remade him from the ground up as Chagra Fademist, and I’m much happier that way.
}}:3

I have to wonder how many of those popular-fiction names would get moderated into re-naming, though. Technically, those could be under “copyright” stuff. I wouldn’t mind a red-post answer to that, actually.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Thorgal.1296

Thorgal.1296

i wanted to name my Warrior " Sir Spamalot but was already taken

Posted by: Korossive.7085

Korossive.7085

Eli Meant A List

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I was surprised that Angua Von Überwald (with the diaeresis) was taken at launch. I mean, Terry Pratchett books are pretty popular but I didn’t figure they’d be that popular to be a name taken pre-launch.

On the flipside to this kind of situation though, I did manage to get Angua, Cuddy and Kelirehenna as names in World of Warcraft and I thought that was pretty neat (albeit more famous characters like Vimes, Vetinari and Weatherwax were already taken).

To the flipside as well, I was able to get Rhynocerator pretty late in the game. I didn’t even think about it until I played R&C 3 again a few months ago. I figured if something as obscure as Angua Von Überwald was taken, so would Rynocerator. It was a pleasant surprise and I squealed. Likewise I got Follow Your Arrow (Kacey Musgraves song) and Retrophrenologist fairly late. I know this thread points to the opposite, I just thought these names were pleasantly available even after 2 years. Either people are more into RP than I thought or I’m into stuff that’s not actually very popular.

(edited by Cuddy.6247)

Rauderi.8706

I was surprised that Angua Von Überwald (with the diaeresis) was taken at launch. I mean, Terry Pratchett books are pretty popular but I didn’t figure they’d be that popular to be a name taken pre-launch.

On the flipside to this kind of situation though, I did manage to get Angua, Cuddy and Kelirehenna as names in World of Warcraft and I thought that was pretty neat (albeit more famous characters like Vimes, Vetinari and Weatherwax were already taken).

To the flipside as well, I was able to get Rhynocerator pretty late in the game. I didn’t even think about it until I played R&C 3 again a few months ago.

That reminds me of two names I lost in WoW when I swapped servers: Rubicant (fire mage) and Daisoujou (Undead priest). I guess I’m not the only who remembers old/obscure gaming lore. =P
I’ll just assume they’re already taken in GW2.

Side note, I’m pretty sure people trying to get lore-appropriate Sylvari or Asura names must be tearing their hair out right now. :\

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Sir Spamalot? Come on, that was probably taken the minute the game launched.

For me, during the FIRST WEEK of release, I found Mungo The Mountain was taken……seriously?

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I couldn’t get Prince Charrming at launch.
Yeah, I know, terrible, obvious pun. =P
He was Prinz Charrming for a while, until I decided to get more lore appropriate. Remade him from the ground up as Chagra Fademist, and I’m much happier that way.
}}:3

I have to wonder how many of those popular-fiction names would get moderated into re-naming, though. Technically, those could be under “copyright” stuff. I wouldn’t mind a red-post answer to that, actually.

Here are some Dev responses concerning this issue:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Is-my-name-okay-or-should-I-change/first#post4333088

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Question-about-Trademark-Names/1540789/quote

There are more, if you wish to search for them. Good luck.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

When making my asura thief I tried to use my RL last name “Bardy” it kinda sounds like an asura name, but guess what, it was taken somehow … so I added an extra “d” and now my thief is called “Barddy”

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Rauderi.8706

Ah, yes, that’s sufficient. Thanks!
Good that gets reiterated. I’m usually an original-character kind of person, so it wouldn’t affect me, but it was a question of curiosity.

Many alts; handle it!

(edited by Rauderi.8706)

Cuddy.6247

To the flipside as well, I was able to get Rhynocerator pretty late in the game. I didn’t even think about it until I played R&C 3 again a few months ago.

That reminds me of two names I lost in WoW when I swapped servers: Rubicant (fire mage) and Daisoujou (Undead priest). I guess I’m not the only who remembers old/obscure gaming lore. =P
I’ll just assume they’re already taken in GW2.

Side note, I’m pretty sure people trying to get lore-appropriate Sylvari or Asura names must be tearing their hair out right now. :\

Ha! Rubicant slightly reminded me of a name I thought was cool but on PSN there is someone named Wateraja. I enjoy it when I find obscure Final Fantasy references.

Rauderi.8706

When making my asura thief I tried to use my RL last name “Bardy” it kinda sounds like an asura name, but guess what, it was taken somehow … so I added an extra “d” and now my thief is called “Barddy”

That actually works better for an Asura. They have a tendency to have double-letters, so the second ‘d’ just seals it.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

It’s not a character name but I wanted to name my guild “Bondage”… But it was taken shockingly. And to this day I curse whomever beat me to it |:

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Cuddy.6247

Good that gets reiterated. I’m usually an original-character kind of person, so it wouldn’t affect me, but it was a question of curiosity.

I imagine for the most part many names (even those that are copyrighted) wouldn’t be a big issue. First, you likely won’t run into anyone who gives a kitten . Second, player-character names are often regarded as having a status outside of intellectual or physical property. While ANet certainly couldn’t take stuff from Tolkien Enterprises, there’s not many legal boundaries saying that a player can’t name their character after something of theirs – since the property status is not defined in the current application of the law. Just something to be aware of.

Not saying it won’t happen, but it’s just a minuscule chance of happening that being concerned about copyright infringement shouldn’t be a big worry.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

That actually works better for an Asura. They have a tendency to have double-letters, so the second ‘d’ just seals it.

Yeah I also think it got even better with the extra “d” and fit better the asura name convention. But I’m still intrigued by who took “Bardy”, it isn’t a common last name at all.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Danikat.8537

It’s not a name taken from elsewhere but I was amused when I found that the name ‘Already In Use’ was already in use.

I imagine for the most part many names (even those that are copyrighted) wouldn’t be a big issue. First, you likely won’t run into anyone who gives a kitten . Second, player-character names are often regarded as having a status outside of intellectual or physical property. While ANet certainly couldn’t take stuff from Tolkien Enterprises, there’s not many legal boundaries saying that a player can’t name their character after something of theirs – since the property status is not defined in the current application of the law. Just something to be aware of.

Not saying it won’t happen, but it’s just a minuscule chance of happening that being concerned about copyright infringement shouldn’t be a big worry.

I assume the statement in the ToS is there to protect Anet more than anything. If the copyright holder did want to object they can’t sue Anet because they’ve clearly stated that they are not allowing it – therefore the individual player is to blame. They’ve also clearly stated what action they will take to prevent it (force the player to rename the character) so there can’t be any argument over how it should be handled.

It’s a bit like how most live music venues state that mosh pits and crowd surfing aren’t allowed. They don’t refuse to book artists whose fans are likely to do that, and they won’t stop it happening during a gig (although they will try to keep it under control). The rule is there so that if something goes wrong and you break your arm or whatever you can’t hold the venue responsible. They told you not to do it, you did it anyway, it’s your problem.

Cuddy.6247

It’s not a name taken from elsewhere but I was amused when I found that the name ‘Already In Use’ was already in use.

I assume the statement in the ToS is there to protect Anet more than anything. If the copyright holder did want to object they can’t sue Anet because they’ve clearly stated that they are not allowing it – therefore the individual player is to blame. They’ve also clearly stated what action they will take to prevent it (force the player to rename the character) so there can’t be any argument over how it should be handled.

It’s a bit like how most live music venues state that mosh pits and crowd surfing aren’t allowed. They don’t refuse to book artists whose fans are likely to do that, and they won’t stop it happening during a gig (although they will try to keep it under control). The rule is there so that if something goes wrong and you break your arm or whatever you can’t hold the venue responsible. They told you not to do it, you did it anyway, it’s your problem.

Sort of, I imagine it’s more of an international issue in regards to protection. Were it solely of American origin, they could settle the claim on several precedents of courts finding character names in video games separate from property/intellectual rights. Things in Europe might not work so smoothly.

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

Sir Rallybot

/15char

Posted by: GuzziHero.5104

GuzziHero.5104

Bolt Crank and Rain Boyer were both taken. I was amazed at both. They are both from a really old manga called Eatman.

I think I tried Pacifica Pixy and it was taken as well. That one is from an equally old manga, Pixy Junket.

Posted by: Loiterer.4235

Loiterer.4235

Sir Pounce A Lot

Whoever snatched that from me, I salute them for being a fellow Anders fan.

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.

Posted by: Wranglerist.5489

Wranglerist.5489

Was kinda upset when realizing the name “Parkway Drive” was used near launch.

I salute you, hardcore metal fan \o

#ELEtism

Posted by: Siobhan.3582

Siobhan.3582

Tpyo was taken at launch..

I was suprised

That one person.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

This is kind of the opposite of yours, but my obscure names have mostly been available. I did manage to snag “Khaleesi Eirsdottir,” as a joke. I’m just happy I got my Charr named Pouncy Silverkit.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Belenus.9132

Belenus.9132

I was a trifle annoyed to discover somebody had managed to beat me to the name ‘Oingo Boingo’ – heh.

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

Koss Boss
Afro Dynamite
Irresistible Cocoa
Heavy Bag of Booty Hunter
Navi From Vabbi
Istan Prince

all taken

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

Every character name from cats was taken the first day of launch.

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

Way back in guild wars 1, my main was Nergal Junior (from The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy). Luckily, the name-reservation system kept it on hold for me, so Nergal Junior is once again my character.
By the time I got around to making my Scarlet Briar lookalike, a lot of people had already thought of it, so the name and common variations were taken. Did some research on how to insert accent letters, and put an accent on the c. Apparently that changes the pronunciation to “Ssarlet Briar,” but it’s close enough for me.

Posted by: SlothBear.9846

SlothBear.9846

Someone took the latin name of every single species of Ceiba tree.

Posted by: Krustydog.3072

Krustydog.3072

Jubilee Esther was taken-wtf?

SoR FTW

Posted by: GuzziHero.5104

GuzziHero.5104

For my Sylvari mesmer I wanted the name of a plant you can make hallucinogens from. Most were taken (I tried over 10 species) so had to settle on (Echinopsis) Spachiana.

I was a trifle annoyed to discover somebody had managed to beat me to the name ‘Oingo Boingo’ – heh.

Must be a necromancer, because of ‘Dead Man’s Party’

Danikat.8537

Wow. Latin is one of my go-to languages for changing common words/names into ones that won’t be taken.

I wonder if it was one person, or if there are a lot of Ceiba fans out there.

Posted by: Akuzuma.7546

Akuzuma.7546

Akuzuma. First time in 12 years since i had this name and I couldn’t use it.

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

We will never run out of names for sylvari and asura because basically any random combination of letters with more or less appropriately placed vowels will do.

Danikat.8537

We will never run out of names for sylvari and asura because basically any random combination of letters with more or less appropriately placed vowels will do.

It depends on how accurate to the lore you want to be. Especially for sylvari whose names are usually Gaelic, old English or Welsh.

Sure you can create a random word that, to an outsider, looks appropriate. But for anyone who is familiar with those languages it would just look like a random jumble of letters, in the same way that Aningly looks like an English word, uses common combinations of letters and sounds but is also complete nonsense.

Posted by: Ishmel.1308

Ishmel.1308

I tried to get Bob within the first 10 minutes of the 3-day headstart, but it was taken. So was “Precious Snowflake” (I had it earmarked for a bulky male norn).

For an example of the opposite; I made a farm character a couple of months back, a sylvari, and the name “Seedhartha” had not been taken.

Posted by: C Gunner.9406

C Gunner.9406

I managed to aquire the name ‘Vajazzle’ at launch :L (i assume most people know what it is)

Posted by: SlothBear.9846

SlothBear.9846

Wow. Latin is one of my go-to languages for changing common words/names into ones that won’t be taken.

I wonder if it was one person, or if there are a lot of Ceiba fans out there.

I figure it’s gotta be the same person, as I went through every name I was like are you kidding me?

Posted by: Roda.7468

Roda.7468

I poached Death By Snusnu at launch, but let it go a while ago, if that counts. :P

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

My own naming convention is to try to include the word “Silver” in as many of my character names as possible, either in a different language or in a form that sounds somewhat similar.

I went looking through a botany book for my Sylvari Mesmer’s name… stumbled across “Malus Sylvestris”, which is the latin name for the Crab Apple tree if memory serves me correct. Well yeah, that was taken. So I had to use “Malus Silvestris” instead. Hnng. So close to perfection

Posted by: Excell.1042

Excell.1042

While not really an obscure name, ever since launch I wanted to have the name “Excell”, its been taken ever since launch, and the player who owns it ((as far as i’ve seen)) has quit the game. Sadface :C

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

It depends on how accurate to the lore you want to be. Especially for sylvari whose names are usually Gaelic, old English or Welsh.

Sure you can create a random word that, to an outsider, looks appropriate. But for anyone who is familiar with those languages it would just look like a random jumble of letters, in the same way that Aningly looks like an English word, uses common combinations of letters and sounds but is also complete nonsense.

I don’t know anything about gaelic or welsh so I actually did think sylvari names were just random nonsense. I’m not sure what difference it would make anyway, since many names in any language don’t actually mean anything. Ok, yeah you can look it up in a book and find out your name “means” holy conquerer, but that doesn’t mean that anyone familiar with the language will know that.

Posted by: FallinDevast.5364

FallinDevast.5364

“Tinker Belle” for my asura engineer

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

@ People that were surprised about certain names taken already at launch of GW2.

The character name reservation thing.

Something to motivate GW1 players to play GW2, all their character names from GW1 were reserved for a (short) while.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Although technically taken, my Asura ranger was named Frietzel but decided to change it because it was too close to a rather infamous nutbag from Austria who locked his daughter away for 30 years.

Posted by: GussJr.1643

GussJr.1643

I got lucky that all the ones I wanted were available

Collametta, Little Ace, Lil Bit, Small Cub…etc

~COLLAMETTA~DELVANAI~