Mounts

Mounts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

it’s Not me, it’s Anet. These " I want Mounts" threads have been posted for the past 2 years. How many mounts did they add in that time?

2… Purely cosmetic mounts…In 2 years.

it’s not me that decided " No mounts" it’s Anet.

So you are welcome to imagine that mounts are going to be implemented …" any day ..just you wait and see.’ all you want.

I am pretty sure if Anet felt Mounts were an awesome idea, they never would have implemented waypoints. They have waypoints so they do not need to implement mounts.

If they were going to, they would have by now, or made an announcement that they were going to add them by now.

Taking Anet’s silence on the issue as Indication that " hey, they might add mounts" is … well, Not sure what the word for it is. But…I sincerely doubt we will see mounts in Gw2.

I saw a post recently that really expressed well my own view of aspects of ANet, GW2, and its direction. I thought I would post it here because it is somewhat relevant and the poster is well worth quoting.

That is not the issue, the issue is… that many players feel the game took a wrong turn.
Many will say " this is not the game for you." And maybe they may be right. But Anet has shown that they are not above changing direction…

..It may be the execution may be off, but if i remember something about Anet it is, they do not have a problem saying to themselves." Maybe we can do this in a new way, a better way."

So is the game as it is, the game I might wish it to be? No. But does that means I have given up…

The fact that they have not, as of yet, added something that someone wants, or thinks would be a better way of doing things is not a reason to give up on expressing what one, as a customer, would like to see in game.

Mounts

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

The fact that they have not, as of yet, added something that someone wants, or thinks would be a better way of doing things is not a reason to give up on expressing what one, as a customer, would like to see in game.

This is far too rational a point for this thread. Quick, someone fix this . . .

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Mounts

Posted by: Ronah Lynda.2496

Ronah Lynda.2496

They might add mounts in future if they make specific zones for them. For example, if they will make the crystal desert like a huge desert they can add wurms to ride on like in Nightfall. They might add some other types too but they would be usable only in that region.
So, i see a possibility of adding mounts to GW2 but not in the classic way from other MMOs but in a completely different way.

and i quote someone’s motto:

no Capes… no Mounts… no Trinity… no Open-world PvP…. no Duels

(edited by Ronah Lynda.2496)

Mounts

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

And who the hell am I to decide about how Anet should make use of their time, energy, money, and resources??

I “alone” am just unimportant, and I can disagree a million times as much as I want.

If Anet should stick to their decision not to implement mounts out of which ever reasons, then I just simply have only 2 options.

Either I accept it and I play the game.

Or I don’t accept it and I quit the game.

I’m just a “calculated loss” for Anet.

Who am I to decide over it, what is “necessary” and what is not?

Fixed that for you. Every individual is but one person expressing a preference — and that includes you.

Mounts

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

When the weekend is over can this thread be merged along with the others created this weekend?

Mounts

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

+1 to the stetic mounts. i dont need them to run faster.

Mounts

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

it’s Not me, it’s Anet. These " I want Mounts" threads have been posted for the past 2 years. How many mounts did they add in that time?

2… Purely cosmetic mounts…In 2 years.

it’s not me that decided " No mounts" it’s Anet.

So you are welcome to imagine that mounts are going to be implemented …" any day ..just you wait and see.’ all you want.

I am pretty sure if Anet felt Mounts were an awesome idea, they never would have implemented waypoints. They have waypoints so they do not need to implement mounts.

If they were going to, they would have by now, or made an announcement that they were going to add them by now.

Taking Anet’s silence on the issue as Indication that " hey, they might add mounts" is … well, Not sure what the word for it is. But…I sincerely doubt we will see mounts in Gw2.

I saw a post recently that really expressed well my own view of aspects of ANet, GW2, and its direction. I thought I would post it here because it is somewhat relevant and the poster is well worth quoting.

That is not the issue, the issue is… that many players feel the game took a wrong turn.
Many will say " this is not the game for you." And maybe they may be right. But Anet has shown that they are not above changing direction…

..It may be the execution may be off, but if i remember something about Anet it is, they do not have a problem saying to themselves." Maybe we can do this in a new way, a better way."

So is the game as it is, the game I might wish it to be? No. But does that means I have given up…

I agree, I am simply saying it’s ONE thing for Anet to make Traits be unlockable through in game content. That isn’t something that would require them to totally change their game design.

To implement speed boost mounts means turning their backs On the whole WP system…. and I sincerely doubt they will do that for a frivolous mount.

The type of changes I advocate… adding new skills to add diversity… is something that improves the game experience. By giving players more.

Mounts is fluff. Anet has better things to do with their time, energy, and resources.
Fluff is something you do when everything else is going resonably well. Anet has better things to focus on than mounts.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

(edited by Nerelith.7360)

Mounts

Ashen.2907

I agree, I am simply saying it’s ONE thing for Anet to make Traits be unlockable through in game content. That isn’t something that would require them to totally change their game design.

To implement speed boost mounts means turning their backs On the whole WP system…. and I sincerely doubt they will do that for a frivolous mount.

The type of changes I advocate… adding new skills to add diversity… is something that improves the game experience. By giving players more.

Mounts is fluff. Anet has better things to do with their time, energy, and resources.
Fluff is something you do when everything else is going resonably well. Anet has better things to focus on than mounts.

I think that adding things that people might be willing to buy is a reasonable expenditure of resources, even if the thing in question is fluff. Of course this assumes that they are profitable. To be clear I would want them to be fluff.

No faster than the boosts you can get from your class skills. Auto-disabled when in combat. Not usable in PvP. Perhaps not even in WvW.

I think that mounts, if ever introduced, should be a cosmetic element for those who like the imagery of a mounted warrior, etc. I would not be at all supportive of something that provides a significant game advantage (admittedly having a skill slot freed up because your mount provides you with a comparable speed buff is an advantage but not, in my opinion, one that is insurmountable.) to those who purchase the item/mount/etc.

Do I think that there are more important things to work on than fluff right now ? Yes and no. I think that there are things that have a greater impact on the quality of the game experience, but I also think that releasing fluff for purchase is entirely too integral to resource allocation to the game as a whole to ignore it.

Keep in mind that for some players having a cute little horsey to ride around on is giving them more.

Mounts

Posted by: luxymonsteri.1078

luxymonsteri.1078

Are you REALLY sure you want mounts in a game that has small maps and loading screens every 5 minutes? They would literally add nothing to the game except 10 more loading screens when getting from point A to point B. GW2 is not tailored for mounts at all.
No mounts. Go back to wow. Or wildstar. I don’t care.

Mounts

Ashen.2907

Are you REALLY sure you want mounts in a game that has small maps and loading screens every 5 minutes? They would literally add nothing to the game except 10 more loading screens when getting from point A to point B. GW2 is not tailored for mounts at all.

If I am going from point A to point B how would mounts add 10 more loading screens ?

Mounts

Nerelith.7360

See this is How I feel. It’s interesting because I also happen to play World of Warcraft. With it’s mounts.

World of Warcraft needs mounts, I happen to enjoy mounts On World of warcraft. I do not go to World of Warcraft advocating they add waypoints, and remove their mounts. I enjoy that game for what it is. A game with mounts, flying etc… because mounts makes sense for WoW.

I Likewise accept that mounts make no sense here. So I enjoy this game for what it is.
The developers have too much on their plate to waste time or energy on mounts.

Mounts aren’t simply fluff. They are unecessary fluff that also happens to take time and energy from needed adjustments. Profession Balance, skill balance, trait unlocks need to be revisited , and made more relevant..etc…

All this comes before mounts. Once all of this has been addressed, maybe…. the thought of mounts can be addressed. maybe.

The thing is, with a waypoint system, mounts make zero sense. They make the small world of tyria even smaller. And suggesting " Get rid of waypoints " is a Non-starter.

So you have to accept purely cosmetic mounts, but that comes with crappy clipping, and added lag.

Good luck with that.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Mounts

Posted by: Sad Swordfish.9743

Sad Swordfish.9743

I would be a hypocrite to speak out against other peoples rights to ride virtual pixels in their make-belief online world!

Anyway, I have not enjoyed mounts in most MMOs. World of Warcraft being a big one. As fun as the creatures you can collect are, I always feel I grow bored of them quickly. Repetitive animations, they all look alike, they create all sorts of clipping problems, they look awful when jumping with them/trying to use them in water/spinning around quickly in the air/blocking npcs.
I also dislike the POOF appearance out of thin air when entering combat or calling a mount out. just pulling a mount of your pocket. Some games have done the mount thing were it comes from off-screen when the character whistles, and that is a cool effect.

Another problem with mounts is that if you are on a mount the tendency is to ignore the people who are not mounted. your not participating and contributing. Not only that but you can flee while leaving other people behind or run away from people in WvW, which sucks because there is so many escapism tools already as is.

Finally the work involved to do something like this justice would require massive resources. It would be like choosing mounts over a couple of new classes. Thats how much work they would have to put in to not ruin it like world of warcraft ruined itself with a gazillion mounts turning it into a circus instead of a rich fantasy game.

What is it about mounts? Is it the act of extending something control-able and ownable beyond your own avatar? But surely there has to be more to it than that. Otherwise people would be happy with all the crazy events turning people into things/creatures and/or letting them use creatures/machines/instruments/devices.

Is it the collecting? Surely I can see why hunting for mounts is a lot more fun and visual than a mini, but I am really afraid that mounts would take up a lot of time, that it would be put inside the game poorly, ruin immersion in cities when everyone has a mount and the doesnt feel like a fantasy world but a cheap knock off of pokemon-rider: the game, ruin community when helping one another because people just run away, make WvW more dull when people just try to get OOC and mount away, killing solo pvping.

If it was me I would rather have a boat to sail to the other side of orr, elona and cantha. A ship that can be upgraded and have recruited people. do ship battles, customize it, name it, pvp with it in WvW, over take PvE ships, and so on.

Mounts

Posted by: lilcoffeebean.3149

lilcoffeebean.3149

PS: It’s Arrogance. Not Arrogancy. Just thought you’d Like to use words that actually exist.

Perhaps you should expand your vocabulary as it is in fact a word.

@topic

I do not mind the cosmetic mounts (though there are only 2) but because Anet is not rolling out more, it leads me to believe they either lost money or didn’t make what they projected. Naturally that’s just my own assumption so may or may not be factual. However, mounts are a lot of work and while Anet can allocate their resources where they wish, I would prefer it was allocating towards more pressing or beneficial projects overall. That being said, I think the same thing about mini’s, and they continue to push them out. As far as mounted combat or mounts that increase movement speed greater than 33%, I think both are a bad idea.

I’m just one person though, so I can accept that what I want, what the community wants, and what Anet wants, may be vastly different, so if it were too happen I certainly wouldn’t cry in my Cheerio’s, as long as it remained somewhat lore friendly. Horses are up for debate (as in GW1) whether they are lore friendly or not. There are quite a few references to horses in both GW’s, however we do not see any horses roaming the lands. The reason for this imo, is because it would lead to major speculation on mounts or complaints that they can not be ridden. Naturally, this too is conjecture, so take it as you will. Before someone mentions it…yes there are undead horses…I am aware of this.

I’m personally of the opinion, we do not see horses, because of the ‘mount’ argument that would follow, but again that’s just conjecture on my part, although that’s what majority of this topic is. That being said, I would mind seeing my Norn riding a Dolyak into battle. =P

TLDR: I don’t see a point in adding mounts, which is a large undertaking, as GW2 stands now, however as GW2 does purely cosmetic stuff such as mini’s if there is a market for cosmetic mounts I don’t see why they wouldn’t.

Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion.
Let’s not bicker and argue over who killed who.
Lilcoffeebean~Yak’s Bend~Perfect Dark [PD]

Mounts

Tobias Trueflight.8350

The thing is, most of these topics don’t ask for purely cosmetic mounts. They ask for the Waypoints to be taken out and mounts put in to replace the fast travel we have.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Mounts

Ashen.2907

The thing is, most of these topics don’t ask for purely cosmetic mounts. They ask for the Waypoints to be taken out and mounts put in to replace the fast travel we have.

Over the last two years I have seen more threads just requesting that mounts be added without any reference to removal of waypoints. For the most part the people requesting the addition did not seem to have put sufficient thought into the consequences of their request to need game mechanic justification such as the removal of WP.

Recently that seems to be changing.

Whatever the case, as much as I am not opposed to adding mounts, I am opposed to removing waypoints this late in the game.

Mounts

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

Removing waypoints is a silly idea and would not benefit the game in any way. But it is a completely separate idea from adding mounts.

And honestly, the idea of removing waypoints would never even have been introduced in the first place if certain people didn’t storm the mount threads with torches and pitchforks shouting “NO! You don’t need mounts because you have waypoints! Go back to WoW!”

Sick of reading mount threads? Don’t click on ‘em. And for heaven’s sake, don’t read them. Some people just can’t handle the stress of the idea someone might get what they don’t want them to have.

Mounts

Nerelith.7360

Over the last two years I have seen more threads just requesting that mounts be added without any reference to removal of waypoints. For the most part the people requesting the addition did not seem to have put sufficient thought into the consequences of their request to need game mechanic justification such as the removal of WP.

Whatever the case, as much as I am not opposed to adding mounts, I am opposed to removing waypoints this late in the game.

Strange. In every Mount thread I have read, many players ask for either..

1. Waypoints be removed.
2. Mounts have perma-speed boost greater than 150 … some want 185 some over 200 %

or ..

Both.

it is possible you missed all the Mount threads i read, because both of the above are prevalent in all the mount threads I have read.

It usually works Like this..

Pro-mount Player: I think we should have 150 % perma-speed boost mounts.
Anti-mount player: Well, we have waypoints we do not need 150% perma-speed boost.

Pro-mount Player: Remove the waypoints then.

Anti-mount player: Also, we have temporary speed boosts, any type of permanent speed boost would be Unbalanced…

Pro-mount Player: They can remove that as well.

Anti-mount: I sincerely doubt they are gonna remove either, having Put them in to begin with.

Pro-mount: Oh? show me where they said they weren’t going to ever remove waypoints, show me where they said they would never revamp temporary speed boosts to allow Perma-speedboost mounts…show me where Anet said they were never going to include perma-speed boost mounts…. I am sure if they really Pit time and energy into it they would do a wonderful job with perma-speedboost mounts."

Yes I exaggerate… but this is How it sounds from this side. And yes…when someone is told.’ we do not need perma speed boost mounts because of waypoints/" they have replied." remove the waypoints"

Mounts

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I did say “topics” not “original posts” for that very reason, actually

It gets bogged down quite a bit, and the dissenting opinions get loud and messy. In general, I think most reasonable players aren’t opposed to mounts . . . as purely cosmetic things for fun.

Mounts

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

#1 REASON FOR NO MOUNTS. Even more bodies left lying dead or downed as players gallop by without even a second glance.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Mounts

Ashen.2907

it is possible you missed all the Mount threads i read

My apologies for being unclear. I was not referring to responses but rather to the starting topic/OPs because it seemed that was what the individual I quoted was saying.

Mounts

Nerelith.7360

It gets bogged down quite a bit, and the dissenting opinions get loud and messy. In general, I think most reasonable players aren’t opposed to mounts . . . as purely cosmetic things for fun.

You’d be wrong. I am very reasonable, and against purely cosmetic mounts.

Even without speed boost:

1. They add to screen clutter.
2. They on average have crappy clipping.
3. They will add to lag.
4. They will afford griefers an oppurtunity to Block access to The NPC’s
5. Players that do not want them in this game would be forced to look at them, because some players want them.
6. There are PLENTY of other games that have mounts, they can play those.

And saying " I am sure that Anet would do a wonderful job" doesn’t mean that

A. They would do a wonderful job.

or

B. That those of us that do not wish to see them, with or without reasons. Should be forced to see them Just because SOME players want them.

Again, there are plenty of games that have mounts, if you must ride a mount, there are tons of games that would afford you the opportunity.

So just because YOU do not think a reasonable person would object to purely cosmetic mounts doesn’ mean a reasonable person will not object.

This is simply a way to …discount the objections that players that do not want mounts have. By saying :

In general, I think most reasonable players aren’t opposed to mounts . . . as purely cosmetic things for fun.

basically you try to paint any person that objects to purely cosmetic mounts as unreasonable, even when they have reasons. Which is the definition of reasonable." has reasons"

You do not have to agree with their reasons, or even accept that their reasons are rational, for them to be reasonable. You do have to accept that they have reasons, even if you disagree with them.

Mounts

Tobias Trueflight.8350

In general, I think most reasonable players aren’t opposed to mounts . . . as purely cosmetic things for fun.

basically you try to paint any person that objects to purely cosmetic mounts as unreasonable, even when they have reasons. Which is the definition of reasonable." has reasons"

You do not have to agree with their reasons, or even accept that their reasons are rational, for them to be reasonable. You do have to accept that they have reasons, even if you disagree with them.

Of course they’re unreasonable, they don’t agree with me. Isn’t that how the Internet works?

/sarcasm

By the way, I don’t mind the whole discussion about mounts as cosmetic items, because we’ve kind of had two already and not much having happened. And there’s been the tonics which haven’t caused terrible problems. If there had to be mounts added to the game? That’s where I’d want it to take the shape of.

Any other method of adding them feels like it’d be one step forward and two immediately back from what we have now, just because “it’d be cool”.

And this is me coming down from the hardline of “no, they’re completely unnecessary and wouldn’t be worth the effort to add to the game” which I held until I started really thinking about it.

Mounts

Ashen.2907

You’d be wrong. I am very reasonable, and against purely cosmetic mounts.

Even without speed boost:

1. They add to screen clutter.
2. They on average have crappy clipping.
3. They will add to lag.
4. They will afford griefers an oppurtunity to Block access to The NPC’s
5. Players that do not want them in this game would be forcedto look at them, because some players want them.
6. There are PLENTY of other games that have mounts, they can play those.

So just because YOU do not think a reasonable person would object to purely cosmetic mounts doesn’ mean a reasonable person will not object.

This is simply a way to …discount the objections that players that do not want mounts have. By saying :

Saying, “most reasonable players,” aren’t opposed is saying that some reasonable players are opposed.

Your definition of reasonable contradicts Merriam Webster. Keep in mind that the suffix is “able”, not a conjugation of is. Your definition would mean that essentially everything is reasonable.

1) They might very well add to the clutter. I would certainly not want them usable in combat.

2) On average in other games ? Mathematically so ? Am I wrong in assuming that you would not use a mount, particularly one with clipping issues ?

3) I would certainly expect that some effort would be put into optimizing mounts so that they do not increase lag.

4) Are you assuming collision detection for, “friendly,” forces ? Right now a swarm of Charr couldn’t block my access to an NPC. I would definitely be opposed to mounts having collision detection when other characters in the game do not.

5) Remove Asurans so that those of us who do not like them do not have to look at them ? Do not add any more armor or weapon sets to the game because there will be people who do not like or want to look at them ? Give immersion players veto power over all character names so that they/we do not have to look at some of the lore inappropriate names ? There is nothing that could ever be added to the game that will not be disliked by some players.

6) Plenty of other games have magic, swords, bows, dragons, etc. Guess those should not be included in GW2 either.

Mounts

Nerelith.7360

it is possible you missed all the Mount threads i read

My apologies for being unclear. I was not referring to responses but rather to the starting topic/OPs because it seemed that was what the individual I quoted was saying.

Irrelevant. Just because you did Not read them in the original post doesn’t matter. They came up in the subsequent thread. So simply because the original poster, did not say " remove the waypoints" or " we want perma-speed boost " is unimportant. It came up in the subsequent conversations In the threads. So are part of the thread.

Mounts

Nerelith.7360

Saying, “most reasonable players,” aren’t opposed is saying that some reasonable players are opposed.
Your definition of reasonable contradicts Merriam Webster. Keep in mind that the suffix is “able”, not a conjugation of is. Your definition would mean that essentially everything is reasonable.

Even saying Most Reasonable players would not be opposed is a stretch. You have no idea what most reasonable players would object to. Unless you had a survey done, you are assuming. You are right about one thing only. SOME reasonable players ARE opposed. Some are not. But whether MOST are opposed or most are not, you don’t know. I don’t know. The difference is, i know i don’t Know. You assume, and thing your assumption is correct.

1) They might very well add to the clutter. I would certainly not want them usable in combat.

I would not want clutter anywhere. Combat, or non-combat. I would not want clutter in towns or outside of towns. Your responce seems to imply that some clutter is acceptable, as long as you get your mounts. Mine is the very opposite..Any clutter is reason to continue to have zero mounts…even cosmetic ones.

2) On average in other games ? Mathematically so ? Am I wrong in assuming that you would not use a mount, particularly one with clipping issues ?

Depends On How aggrieving the clipping. And the opportunity cost of NOT using that Mount. This is not about me. This is about reasonable players. Which might or might not include me.

3) I would certainly expect that some effort would be put into optimizing mounts so that they do not increase lag.

This does not mean that optimization would be effective. Especially on lower end machines. Would it be fair to tell players playing on lower end machines that it sucks to be them, but some players wanting mounts come before them? Or just expect them to upgrade so some charr can see himself ride a Moa?

4) Are you assuming collision detection for, “friendly,” forces ? Right now a swarm of Charr couldn’t block my access to an NPC. I would definitely be opposed to mounts having collision detection when other characters in the game do not.

There are games where the graphic of some mounts is such so that the NPC cannot be seen, so therefore it is hard to click or select them. Has nothing to do with collision. Sometimes you cannot click what cannot be seen.

5) Remove Asurans so that those of us who do not like them do not have to look at them ? Do not add any more armor or weapon sets to the game because there will be people who do not like or want to look at them ? Give immersion players veto power over all character names so that they/we do not have to look at some of the lore inappropriate names ? There is nothing that could ever be added to the game that will not be disliked by some players.

Ridiculous argument. No one is asking that parts of the game the developers put in be removed. We are saying we are perfectly ok with the developer’s decisions to NOT include mounts. And One of them comes from us not wanting to see them. Just because you dislike that we dislike mounts doesn’t mean you get to impose them on us. You want to say " +1 to mounts" ans we say “-1 to mounts.” This is one of the reasons.

6) Plenty of other games have magic, swords, bows, dragons, etc. Guess those should not be included in GW2 either.

Except that almost all of those are already in this game, and we knew they would be when we bought the game. We knew there would be magic, swords, bows, dragons, etc. We also knew there wouldn’t be any mounts.

Now if any of the above were missing from the game and i KNEW they would be before I bought the game ( similar to how i knew it would not have mounts)…I would have decided then…. whether to play this game or another.

There are plenty of games with magic, if this game lacked magic, and I knew it would lack magic, I would decide whether I wish to play it without magic, or play something else instead, since there are Plenty of other games with magic.

Fact is, I might treasure the uniqueness of an MMO without magic, especially when so many of the rest seem to all have magic all the time. For example, I would Not want magic In a game that is sci-fi based.

Same here. There are plenty of games that have mounts, Gw2 is playing without, and I feel that since it is pretty unique… that it should be left as is, without mounts. Players that bought this game expecting mounts..made a bad purchase.

Mounts

Posted by: Nagiil.1230

Nagiil.1230

Whats about cars instead of mounts?
Made from the iron legion?
Or tanks?

Mounts

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

If I am going from point A to point B how would mounts add 10 more loading screens ?

If someone take a mount from point A to point B which there are couple maps in between, that will be multiple loading screen while right now doing with WP, it is only 1 loading screen.

Mounts

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

Can we have the word “mounts” filtered to “walking”?

Mounts

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

If mounts are cosmetic mounts which means no speed boost, what about a toggle option to disable all player mounts for ones who don’t want to see them? I will be okay to add mount if i have the option to turn all mounts off to keep me from lag.

Mounts

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Removing waypoints is a new idea of the “pro mount” people that came up since the last patches destroyed some (not sure if its only 1 or some more) WPs .

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Mounts

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

FFXIV has moutns and waypoints. So the waypoint argument is null. There are areas with a lot of contested waypoints. A mount with 100% speed boost would be awesome for travelling.

WvW-counter argument: just remove it from WvW or give a mount to everyone on entering WvW.

Mounts have nothing to do with WoW. Mounts are pretty standard in many high fantasy games. Just see your argument: I don’t need my Horse in Skyrim, be cause there is fast travelling. Stupid argument.

I just feel a very negative vibe concerning mounts in the GW2-Forum. There is no real counterargument, I assume they fear a WoW-ization of GW2. That’s all.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Mounts

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

FFXIV has moutns and waypoints. So the waypoint argument is null. There are areas with a lot of contested waypoints. A mount with 100% speed boost would be awesome for travelling.

WvW-counter argument: just remove it from WvW or give a mount to everyone on entering WvW.

Mounts have nothing to do with WoW. Mounts are pretty standard in many high fantasy games. Just see your argument: I don’t need my Horse in Skyrim, be cause there is fast travelling. Stupid argument.

I just feel a very negative vibe concerning mounts in the GW2-Forum. There is no real counterargument, I assume they fear a WoW-ization of GW2. That’s all.

There are plenty of counter arguments, but pro-mount people ignore them.

1. LORE – there are no mounts in GW lore.

2. We already have speed boosts and don’t need more of them.

3. Mounts have not been designed, so they would be a lot of work and people have interests in other things (Guild Halls, another profession or 2, another Race (come on Tengu!!).

That is plenty of reasons.

People that are pro-mount say:

1. It would be cool.

2. Need speed boost (we have that already)

3. other games have them.

Those are the big reasons and not very viable at that.

Mounts

ProtoGunner.4953

3. Mounts have not been designed, so they would be a lot of work and people have interests in other things (Guild Halls, another profession or 2, another Race (come on Tengu!!).

1. It would be cool.

1. Lore is something that develops over time. Do you think Akira Toriyama though how Dragon Ball would develop as he wrote the first few books? Besides that: they could ride a Dolyak, it’s possible physically.

2. Not every profession has the same speed buffs. Some have easily accessible signets, others not. It’s not really ‘fair’.

3. Granted. I’d rather have another race or profession. It’s not a high priority.

‘would of been’ —> wrong

Mounts

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’d like to point out the only ones who had been seen to ride dolyaks had been dwarves. Ditto for a large ice drake (Dagnar Stonepate). Nicholas had Yakkington, but it always looked to me more like a pack saddle than a riding saddle.

Mounts

ProtoGunner.4953

Yeah, Yakkington was only a transport aid :-)

I think lorewise it would be make no sense to just NOT ride any animals. It’s just a bit illogical. Also, why wouldn’t asuras just use their golems? It is already part of the lore. Anyway, it won’t come to this game…

‘would of been’ —> wrong

Mounts

Posted by: Zardul.3952

Zardul.3952

look like i started world war 3

Main: lvl 80 Ranger ,
Alt: lvl 80 Mesmer

Mounts

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

Lore writers have a trick called retcon. Solves everything.

Pro for mounts: gold and gem sink.
Con for mounts: too much work to solve clipping issues.

Mounts

Posted by: Lady Celtaine.3760

Lady Celtaine.3760

No no no, just nooooo.
Think some people just need to accept GW2 is not a game with mounts. And that if having no mounts is that much of a deal breaker for you then GW2 is not the game for you. Sorry.

If mounts were ever a thing I’d like it to be restricted to NPCs. I like that our characters aren’t lazy so-n-so’s waltzing into town on the back of an animal, and do the leg work if you get the pun all by themselves, makes the characters feel like they really earned their victories, have earned the right to be on the journey through hard work. I mean isn’t it enough for some people that we can run accross an entire map and not have to stop and catch our breath? Haha.

Mounts

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

And there we are already at 100% speed boost .. while the first people were at least saying : oh no .. we don’t need a speed boost .. we just want them as fluff / for optical reasons.

Thats in the end also the same what happens mostly when people ask for raids / harder content .. first its just : oh no .. we don’t want better loot .. its all just about the “challenge”. And after a while its : why the hell do you think we play that stuff if we can get the same stuff on the easier way ?

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Mounts

Posted by: Nadesh.7953

Nadesh.7953

I am ok with mounts for travel, but i would like it more combat mounts. We alredy have siege golems and similar ones, we ckittene, and other stuffs like airships and charr tanks in the game. It would be only a matter of let us use them. Ofc, they can limit the use bcs which would be the point of create x class if you are always mounted into a tank.

sorry for the broken english

Mounts

Zardul.3952

Yh mount for pvp would be nice… even if they put a cap of 10 mounts per map..

at least then we could have some sort of Chess play..

Pawns go first.. then the Knights go in for the Check mate.

Mounts

Zardul.3952

them Char Tanks would be soo fun in wvw….

have them move really fast and do Aoe dmg or something

Mounts

Zardul.3952

i dont understand why people are dead agaisnt change..

anything added extra to this game will make it more fun.. why are you all so UP TIGHT

Mounts

Posted by: sazaw.1347

sazaw.1347

Because some ppl just don’t like to see them.
Personally it’ll be torture for me to see a lot of mounts jumping up and down blocking my view and annoying my eyes.

This game is announced with no mounts from the beginning.
There are a lot of players who don’t like mounts.
If Anet add mounts, it’ll be betrayal to those ppl and not fair for them unless there is option to turn them of completely from the view.

Of course the best thing would be not to add mounts.

Wrath T – Asura Necro | Don Hohenheim – Norn Guard | Bellcroxx – Human Mesmer
[DKJ] – Jade Quarry

Mounts

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

1. It would be cool.

1. Lore is something that develops over time. Do you think Akira Toriyama though how Dragon Ball would develop as he wrote the first few books? Besides that: they could ride a Dolyak, it’s possible physically.

2. Not every profession has the same speed buffs. Some have easily accessible signets, others not. It’s not really ‘fair’.

3. Granted. I’d rather have another race or profession. It’s not a high priority.

1. The lore is something that has developed over years since the GW1

2. Its called class balance

3. Not a priority at all for me and if it was it would be way at the bottom of the list.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Mounts

Posted by: cakesphere.5910

cakesphere.5910

anything added extra to this game will make it more fun.. why are you all so UP TIGHT

I could dissect how wrong this statement is but it’s so ridiculous I’m not even going to bother.

Please take a step back and re-evaluate what you just said. Please. This is embarrassing.
You are not doing your side any favors by posting kitten like this.

Okay, I’ve decided to change my mind. We should implement mounts, huge ones, so I can sit on important LA NPCs. Then, we can watch the people who begged for mounts come onto the forums and complain about how horrible mounts are.

GS1’ing world bosses since 2013
#mesmerlyfe

(edited by cakesphere.5910)

Mounts

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Because some ppl just don’t like to see them.
Personally it’ll be torture for me to see a lot of mounts jumping up and down blocking my view and annoying my eyes.

This is why myself and I imagine many others don’t want mounts. For me, I have yet to see and MMO where I didn’t think that mounts looked, well, silly. In a game highly based on visuals with a beautiful world I would rather not see a bunch of players trotting around on mounts all over my screen. The pro-mount group always ignores this side of the argument or just counters with, “No they are cool.” To many, including myself they are not cool. They are visually unappealing.

That said, if there were an option to toggle off viewing mounts and mounts were only cosmetic, I’d probably be okay with that since I would not have to see them.

The Burninator

Mounts

Posted by: Titus.4285

Titus.4285

Mounts: no thank you
Less waypoints: yes please

Now how’s that for an idea?

Let the Kings and Queens of other lands and lesser creatures
witness our wonders and cry out in astonishment and humble themselves.
Beware our mighty works.

Mounts

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

I just want mounts as skins. No swiftness, no any special treatments, but just like tonics.

Tour

Mounts

Posted by: Veeber.3192

Veeber.3192

I’ll say what I said in the other topic.

The game doesn’t need mounts.

If they ever did, anet should force upkeep on them, by this I mean pay for food/fuel, maintenance and housing. Then you should have to pay for using them around the map, if you’re standing at wp A and waypoint to wp B then you should pay double what the wp costs because the mounts will need food/fuel.

If a player pays 100g and then lets the mount die/explode, then the next time they try to buy a mount they have to pay double the price and/or buying restriction.

1st offense. 2x price, restricted from buying for a week.
2nd offense 3x price, restricted from buying for 2 weeks.
3rd offence 5x price, restricted from buying for 1 month.

Mounts will give NO speed buffs, no additional armor, can’t use skills, passive traits/skills wont work, takes time to get on/off, can take damage.