Mounts

Mounts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Not to fuel the fire, but honestly, not every class/build has a way to get +25% speed and Swiftness. I wanted fast movement, so I did both on my warrior. Builds are easier to change now, thankfully, so that’s not even much of an issue.

The only problematic class is Mesmer since you need a specific weapon.

However other classes have to sacrifice maybe some trait points or a skill-slot, so you can also just sacrifice a little bit DPS and just use runes of traveller or speed.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Mounts

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

Ok 6 pages about a topic that has been beat to death many many times before, and as always there are legitimate reasons on both sides of the fence (for & against), but rest assured there will be no mounts in GW2 no matter how many or how bad people want them for two very important reasons that being lore and existing waypoints.

Lets just cut to the chase, Anet add the term “mount/mounts” to the profanity filter so we never have to go through this topic again….please! At least we can talk about kittens instead of mounts, everyone likes kittens right?

Mounts

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Not to fuel the fire, but honestly, not every class/build has a way to get +25% speed and Swiftness. I wanted fast movement, so I did both on my warrior. Builds are easier to change now, thankfully, so that’s not even much of an issue.

The only problematic class is Mesmer since you need a specific weapon.

However other classes have to sacrifice maybe some trait points or a skill-slot, so you can also just sacrifice a little bit DPS and just use runes of traveller or speed.

Another thing to keep in mind is that mesmers have blinks and other movement based skills that help them keep up. Certainly not as much as other classes, but then again not all classes are meant to be land traveling masters.

Seriously.

Can we jut stop with this mount posts already. I believe there is another new game that LOVES the hell out of their mounts.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Mounts

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

People have missed out the one argument against mounts.

Introducing mounts will bring all the whiny WoW kiddies over to GW2….

…because the QQmunity doesn’t whine all over these forums? =P

Or any forums?

It ain’t mounts making the tears flow~

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Mounts

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Ok 6 pages about a topic that has been beat to death many many times before, and as always there are legitimate reasons on both sides of the fence (for & against), but rest assured there will be no mounts in GW2 no matter how many or how bad people want them for two very important reasons that being lore and existing waypoints.

Lets just cut to the chase, Anet add the term “mount/mounts” to the profanity filter so we never have to go through this topic again….please! At least we can talk about kittens instead of mounts, everyone likes kittens right?

Bwaaa haa haaa. I laugh because EQ2 did that. Players kept asking for Beastlord class from EQ. The Devs stated NO very clearly and often. Threads were deleted fast. A statement was made that there would NEVER be Beastlord. They made Beastlord a filtered word on the Forums. Was funny.

In 2011 Beastlord became a class in EQ2.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Mounts

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Recently I did play some other mmo’s that have mounts but do not have waypoints (while one did let you teleport to all towns you visited before but I’m not sure if that stays after the starting area. I don’t think so) and then you notice how much mounts do at to a game and how much way-points take away from a game.

Same for other forms of fast travel. One game even had a form of public transport.

Also WoodenPatatoes started a ‘project’ where he wanted to level a new char but would not use any waypoints and in his latest video he also taked about ho much that added to the game. Problem is that the game is not designed to not use way-points and when they are there and you do not use them in a way you punish yourself.

One of the technical problem is that GW2 uses instances as maps. One of the biggest mistakes if it comes to design-decisions if you ask me. It also makes mounts more of a problem because you will be running from the one loading screen to the next.

However yeah mounts would be a great addition if they would be implemented correctly.. So not like how they destroyed the whole joy of mini’s but making them mainly gem-store items.

Mounts

Rauderi.8706

I realize there’s all kinds of ways to get speed boosts. My thief has Traveler runes so I don’t have to use the signet. Though I haven’t played him enough to find out if he can ever get swiftness on his own. Thief isn’t exactly big on self-buffs from what I’ve seen.

My ele air-swaps and holds on to a signet for his max speed boost. Uptime isn’t as optimal on my warrior, but it’s there. etc, so forth.
/digress

Thing is, travel is a very basic component of an MMO. That’s why other games have mounts, to ease laborious travel times and keep them equal. And they don’t provoke players into dedicating build options to get them.

I wouldn’t even be worried about it if we had alt-specs we could easily switch to, since we could have our travel spec and our wtfever spec. (Pursuant to another thread: not available in PvP or WvW, etc.)

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Mounts

Posted by: Light.7493

Light.7493

WANT.
Shift people who dont want to seperate megaserver.

Mounts

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

WANT.
Shift people who dont want to seperate megaserver.

levity on Or ban people who want mounts? levity off

This game is not setup that way (like an all PvP server vs. PvE). That will never happen – it would be all or none – I prefer none.

I still do play games with mounts and see how awful the game play is. Players aggroing everything and drag it to your toon, who is not mounted and gets killed because of it.

Sorry – mounts don’t add anything to the game at all.

Mounts

Posted by: LostBalloon.6423

LostBalloon.6423

would be happy with removing waypoints and giving us mounts even if it was JUST a +33% speed boost( like Swiftness)

How about no (for now at least) and start with having guild halls or actual guild oriented challenges, not just the ability to start an open world boss, but an actual 15-20 man instance. Right now there isn’t much in this game, besides less than 1h of guild missions / week that actually brings guilds together. It’s an MMO that focuses way too much on doing stuff solo.

GW1 had a great “heroes” system that made soloing possible for those that wanted to while not taking away from the challenges of having a group.

This is just to say, there is so much more that can be done to make this game greater than it is, mounts would be pretty low on that list (though it could be a cool thing if added to gem store as costumes or w/e)

/doneranting

Mounts

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Here’s an idea I’ve mentioned before.

Place an Air Balloon/Blimp in LA.
Make players buy a tickets and make it departure each hour or so.
Make the Air Balloon/Blimp fly to, for example, Divinity’s Reach, flight takes 20-30 minutes.
Place some unique vendors inside of the Air Balloon/Blimp, add some weather effects, rain, story. clouds etc.

So here. GW2 “mount” idea. Gives no advantage to no one whatsoever, excellent for role playing and AFKing.

Mounts

Dusty Moon.4382

would be happy with removing waypoints and giving us mounts even if it was JUST a +33% speed boost( like Swiftness)

How about no (for now at least) and start with having guild halls or actual guild oriented challenges, not just the ability to start an open world boss, but an actual 15-20 man instance. Right now there isn’t much in this game, besides less than 1h of guild missions / week that actually brings guilds together. It’s an MMO that focuses way too much on doing stuff solo.

GW1 had a great “heroes” system that made soloing possible for those that wanted to while not taking away from the challenges of having a group.

This is just to say, there is so much more that can be done to make this game greater than it is, mounts would be pretty low on that list (though it could be a cool thing if added to gem store as costumes or w/e)

/doneranting

EWW – I hated the Hero system in GW1. It made the game basically a single player game. I don’t want that ever in this game.

Mounts

Posted by: Boom Haha Ur Dead.6035

Boom Haha Ur Dead.6035

I have the perfect compromise idea. A gem store costume that makes you look like you are riding a mount. It will still be your legs running and your own profession’s speed boost. But the costume will look like you are riding a mount.

You mean like the riding broom we already have? >.>
Or was that your point?

Mounts

Dusty Moon.4382

I have the perfect compromise idea. A gem store costume that makes you look like you are riding a mount. It will still be your legs running and your own profession’s speed boost. But the costume will look like you are riding a mount.

Or was that your point?

For the people who want mounts, just give them 2 coconut shells and be done with it.

Attachments:

Mounts

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Or was that your point?

For the people who want mounts, just give them 2 coconut shells and be done with it.

What kind of swallow would be used to deliver it though?

Mounts

Dusty Moon.4382

Or was that your point?

good question

Mounts

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

EWW – I hated the Hero system in GW1. It made the game basically a single player game. I don’t want that ever in this game.

Well, I DO want it, or something similar. I like playing solo. Nobody complains when I get up to go to the bathroom, or to see what my roommate is laughing his head off about in the other room. Nobody complains if I’m playing too late and start to nod off a bit at the keyboard, or decide halfway though that I’m too tired to do the run. Nobody gets upset when I have to stop to answer the phone, and it’s my sister pouring out more family drama that keeps me tied up for half an hour.

If we had a selection of interesting NPCs we could ‘hire’ to come along with us in instances, it would be great! And keeping them in instances means that people that don’t want anything to do with them don’t have to deal with them or even see them. Unlike mounts.

/em rides away on a magical broom.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Mounts

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

A skritt minipet that follows the player, and carries the two coconut shells. Whenever it has to run to keep up, it clicks them together to make the horse sounds. Make it count as a musical instrument, so people can turn down/off the sounds of it.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Mounts

Dusty Moon.4382

A skritt minipet that follows the player, and carries the two coconut shells. Whenever it has to run to keep up, it clicks them together to make the horse sounds. Make it count as a musical instrument, so people can turn down/off the sounds of it.

OOH SHINIES!!!!!

Mounts

Rauderi.8706

^ – ^ – ^ – ^ – ^
Funniest derailment of a thread I’ve ever seen!

Many alts; handle it!

Mounts

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Or was that your point?

good question

Well, you have to know these things when you’re a king, you know

Attachments:

Mounts

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

It’s sad to see how a few people always try to destroy these sort of threads. That because of a lack of constructive arguments.

Mounts add things to the game.

Collecting them is a game-play by itself (when it’s not just cash-shop stuff or gold-grind).
Maybe you can even feed. train and tame them.
Then it makes the world more immersion and fun then loading screens do and makes the world feel bigger.

There are many pro’s to mounts.

Mounts

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

@Devata

There are also many negatives to mounts. They have been discussed here ad nauseum. This thread is just titled MOUNTS. So that invites discussion both pro and con.

Those making light above aren’t destroying the thread, they are voicing their opinions about mounts through humor, wit, and sarcasm.

It doesn’t destroy the thread. It just upsets those who want mounts.

Besides, at this point, how many more arguments can be made that are not already there.

Right now it is just beating a dead horse. Pun most certainly intended.

(edited by jheryn.8390)

Mounts

Posted by: lubby.8092

lubby.8092

My opinion on mounts? Well I believe mounts would be a very cool addition to the game. Keep the waypoint system but maybe only keep the waypoints at the larger cities/towns in a zone. Decrease the amount of waypoints and add in mounts with a slight increase in speed. If you don’t want a mount you don’t need to get one. But I think it would be a cool addition and a good time for those who already have quite a bit of time put into the game. Maybe they could add in a system of customizing your own mount. But this is of course my opinion. I would love to see mounts, but I am perfectly fine using the WP system. It is all a matter of preference!

Mounts

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

Some kind of mount / speed boost in WvWvW would help, it is a LONG way to run to catch back up with your party when you get killed by running into a zerg and very off putting in My mind, or more WP’s would maybe encourage more to play WvWvW ?

Mounts

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

It’s sad to see how a few people always try to destroy these sort of threads. That because of a lack of constructive arguments.

Mounts add things to the game.

Collecting them is a game-play by itself (when it’s not just cash-shop stuff or gold-grind).
Maybe you can even feed. train and tame them.
Then it makes the world more immersion and fun then loading screens do and makes the world feel bigger.

There are many pro’s to mounts.

Sorry, but the Monty Python references are far more interesting and is much more likely to show up in the game than an actual Mount.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Mounts

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I’ll say what I said in the other topic.

The game doesn’t need mounts.

If they ever did, anet should force upkeep on them, by this I mean pay for food/fuel, maintenance and housing. Then you should have to pay for using them around the map, if you’re standing at wp A and waypoint to wp B then you should pay double what the wp costs because the mounts will need food/fuel.

If a player pays 100g and then lets the mount die/explode, then the next time they try to buy a mount they have to pay double the price and/or buying restriction.

1st offense. 2x price, restricted from buying for a week.
2nd offense 3x price, restricted from buying for 2 weeks.
3rd offence 5x price, restricted from buying for 1 month.

Mounts will give NO speed buffs, no additional armor, can’t use skills, passive traits/skills wont work, takes time to get on/off, can take damage.

Then there is no point in paying upkeep if it does not give bonus.

The point is most professions already have speed boosts even if it temporary. Why need a mount with the same?

Also, if you ride a mount past a mob, you automatically get dismounted AND no speed boost.

Because the important part is that I don’t have to waste a utility slot for a mount and that not every profession have mobility skills.

I am fine with being dismounted because I don’t really need mobility in combat. I need mobility when I am out of combat.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Mounts

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

If they ever did, anet should force upkeep on them, by this I mean pay for food/fuel, maintenance and housing. Then you should have to pay for using them around the map, if you’re standing at wp A and waypoint to wp B then you should pay double what the wp costs because the mounts will need food/fuel.

If a player pays 100g and then lets the mount die/explode, then the next time they try to buy a mount they have to pay double the price and/or buying restriction.

Mounts will give NO speed buffs, no additional armor, can’t use skills, passive traits/skills wont work, takes time to get on/off, can take damage.

The point is most professions already have speed boosts even if it temporary. Why need a mount with the same?

Also, if you ride a mount past a mob, you automatically get dismounted AND no speed boost.

Because the important part is that I don’t have to waste a utility slot for a mount and that not every profession have mobility skills.

I am fine with being dismounted because I don’t really need mobility in combat. I need mobility when I am out of combat.

Mobility is part of profession balance. Get over it.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Mounts

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I see there is no way to reason with the mount-haters… a sad thing.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Mounts

runeblade.7514

Mobility is part of profession balance. Get over it.

Mobility is necessary part of profession balance in *PvP. *

It is not really necessary in out of combat PvE.

Mounts

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

You can reason with me, and I in fact did step back from my position of “no, never” to “meh, cosmetic only with no effects” after really re-examining the whole thing and realizing people want it that badly.

Now, though, you people are making me want to go hardline back because I just cannot win unless I collapse entirely and go “yes, mounts, woohoo, gimme shinies”.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Mounts

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Doubt that will happen…
But strangely enough whenever I see the word “mount” on these forums it has the same affect on me as “kitten” does.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Mounts

Azhure.1857

You can reason with me, and I in fact did step back from my position of “no, never” to “meh, cosmetic only with no effects” after really re-examining the whole thing and realizing people want it that badly.

Now, though, you people are making me want to go hardline back because I just cannot win unless I collapse entirely and go “yes, mounts, woohoo, gimme shinies”.

Its not just the Mount argument, that happens in most debates. You’re not reasonable or understanding unless you agree with me and support my opinion, don’t you know?

Mounts

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Next your gonna want flying mounts. There is a game you can play that has all of that and I suggest you might try it.

Mounts

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Its not just the Mount argument, that happens in most debates. You’re not reasonable or understanding unless you agree with me and support my opinion, don’t you know?

Oh I know. This is why I’m part of Team “Who-Gives-A-Skritt” most times . . .

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Mounts

Rauderi.8706

Maybe a mini pogo stick mount?
So, y’know, I can have the same camera and platforming hit box as those itty bitty Asura? ]}:3

Many alts; handle it!

Mounts

runeblade.7514

Next your gonna want flying mounts. There is a game you can play that has all of that and I suggest you might try it.

Next you’re going to deny Cantha, Build templates, proper pvp balance, new content.

Mounts

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

I only want mounts if I can make Mordremoth my kitten and ride him.

Mounts

Posted by: petespri.6548

petespri.6548

Anet wants more ways to monetize.

they Will add mounts, mark my words.

Mounts

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

You know, this much venom against mounts reminds me of the TOR community being against the idea of advanced class respeccing.

Makes you wonder if there’s one thing in every MMO community that 90% of its forum community hates with a passion and never wants to see for rather vaguely defined reasons?

Mounts

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I don’t hate the concept, I hate how it’s either taboo to be for it or against it fully one way or the other and nowhere in between. I hate how any objections are brushed aside with “oh if they really wanted they could solve it” while ignoring a more blatant counterpoint:

If they really wanted to add mounts, they’d have made it in with Lost Shores.

Mounts

runeblade.7514

If players don’t want mounts so much, ANet can give them the veil debuff. It blinds their character completely so they don’t have to see mounts.

Mounts

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

mount haters: i don’t like chocolate, nobody else can eat them

Not really.

More like: I don’t like the taste. smell, or sight of chocolate so I would rather not have it introduced in a fashion where I would have to see and smell it while the sweet shop reduced production of the things I do like in order to add chocolate.

If they really wanted to add mounts, they’d have made it in with Lost Shores.

I don’t really think that this is a valid argument unless you are willing to accept the idea that they don’t want to add anything that is not already in the game. The premise that, “if they wanted it in the game it already would be,” means that nothing should be added post launch.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Mounts

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I still love how everyone’s talking on the one side about how intolerant the “haters” are when the “pro mount” posts recently have been even worse than they claim others are.

Mounts

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

Not really.

More like: I don’t like the taste. smell, or sight of chocolate so I would rather not have it introduced in a fashion where I would have to see and smell it while the sweet shop reduced production of the things I do like in order to add chocolate.

yea sounds like selfish people. like vegans saying all meat production should stop

Mounts

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Not really.

yea sounds like selfish people. like vegans saying all meat production should stop

Its more like vegans not wanting a barbecue pit installed in their vegan restaurant. The anti-mount people are not asking that mounts not be an option in MMO gaming, merely that they not be added to a game designed to not include them.

Mounts

Azhure.1857

It’s impossible for this topic to remain civil at this point, I think.

For a very long time the discussion of mounts has been brought up time and time again… I believe ArenaNet has enough opinion from both sides here for a good understanding as to where we all stand. We can’t add mounts to the game – only the Devs can. Time will tell if they think its a good idea, can be added, should be added, and/or what effect it will have on the game and its playerbase.

At this point I don’t think any of us is adding anything new to the debate, its all just being repeated back and forth with varying degrees of disdain. So well done on us, people, I’m sure the constant bickering is exactly how we will get our ideas “heard”.

If you have something constructive to add towards the implementation of mounts or sound reasoning against it – Please give it. Otherwise I would ask that we stop the “Mount-haters” VS “Mount-lovers” word vomit that is quickly destroying this thread and all the ones like it.

…. and no, I have no “high horse” here. I’ve been guilty of bickering and spewing word vomit myself. But I figured I’d ask.

Mounts

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

Not really.

Its more like vegans not wanting a barbecue pit installed in their vegan restaurant. The anti-mount people are not asking that mounts not be an option in MMO gaming, merely that they not be added to a game designed to not include them.

so vegans can declare that a restaurant is officially vegan and chase out all the meat eaters in that restaurant?

Mounts

Azhure.1857

Not really.

so vegans can declare that a restaurant is officially vegan and chase out all the meat eaters in that restaurant?

No, they can’t and wouldn’t “chase them out”. However they would only serve vegan dishes.

Mounts

Tobias Trueflight.8350

At what point, exactly, are you going to stop stirring up drama for the sole purpose of trying to make the “other side” look unreasonable because you riled them up with horrible analogies and oversimplifications?

This thread should get locked, like all the others, because even with people trying to discuss this maturely things like this keep hitting, repeatedly, by the same people over and over.