Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

bug fix for forum bug

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Mounts [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

This mounts controversy reminds me of a situation I experienced a few years ago out here in (drum roll) Real Life.

My elderly uncle would let the trash bags pile up in his basement, and then I’d end up helping him load it all up in his truck and take it to the dump.

One day I said, “Uncle, why not put the trash out by the end of the driveway? The garbage collector guys will pick it up. You’re being charged for this service on your city water bill anyway, so why not take advantage of it?”

He said, “Seems like that would be more trouble than taking it to the dump.”

/e picard facepalm

I went to a local store and bought a big garbage can with wheels, and that was the end of that.

The moral of the story: people get stuck in their ways and sometimes the only way to get through to them is to go ahead and put mounts in the game. If we had them, we would ride.

The table is a fable.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: IrishPotato.6327

IrishPotato.6327

This mounts controversy reminds me of a situation I experienced a few years ago out here in (drum roll) Real Life.

My elderly uncle would let the trash bags pile up in his basement, and then I’d end up helping him load it all up in his truck and take it to the dump.

One day I said, “Uncle, why not put the trash out by the end of the driveway? The garbage collector guys will pick it up. You’re being charged for this service on your city water bill anyway, so why not take advantage of it?”

/e picard facepalm

I went to a local store and bought a big garbage can with wheels, and that was the end of that.

The moral of the story: people get stuck in their ways and sometimes the only way to get through to them is to go ahead and put mounts in the game. If we had them, we would ride.

Can’t that final statement go the same way for those of you asking for mounts that you’re stuck in your ways that they should exist?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

/e picard facepalm

Can’t that final statement go the same way for those of you asking for mounts that you’re stuck in your ways that they should exist?

It very much can.

Personally, I’ve played games with mounts and without. I rather prefer without.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Mounts [merged]

Tachenon.5270

Most people would rather ride than walk. Don’t believe me? Leave your car/bike/horse/lear jet in the garage/driveway/barn/hangar for a week. Walk everywhere. To work, to the bank, to the grocery store, to the movies. Pretend all the waypoints are contested. Try to convince your friends, family, and co-workers to do the same. Heck, let’s reduce the time to just one day. Ready? Go!

If we had mounts, we would ride.

The table is a fable.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Lightingale.6502

Lightingale.6502

I would like mounts that can let you go really fast, maybe 166% or something. It’s because SW chest train is a very important part of GW2 and moving faster will help everyone out

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

@ Ashen

Not if Anet would finally implement as counter solution “Templates” so that players can quickly change builds/equipment while being outside of combat before they engage into combat…
A person on mount (a matter of design) could naturally also be forced to dismount, if Anet would have no plans for mounted combat or if yes, then I say, mounted combat skills should be weaker, than normal combat skills so that theres an incentive to dismount for combat..

However, your analogy isn’t fully correct, because also players can have both, movement and the power at the same time (mostly all classes), cause if you use the runes for movement, your traits and utilities are free for more power/ better combat relevant skills and runes are something, that all classes can use without any restrictions (Rune of Speed 6 gives + 25% movement speed.

If you want to have a more balanced alternative, take rune of the traveler, but with these runes you can ignore the traits/utilities and use better options in these two areas. The choice of the rune set is just very minor and you can easily compensate that tiny loss of max dps through just better player skills.

However, P2W by definition is, when you pay with real money something in a Gemstore of a Gem, to become this way alot better with/or in something, than somebody, who didn’t do the same thing and doesn’t have the same thing on the character. Somethign, thats only obtainable via Gemstore and can’t be earned.

Mount Skins are not Pay2Wins, get this finally, its just changing how your Mount will look like.
I’m not suggesting here to make Mounts a sellable thing in the Gemstore. God darn it!! Do I write chinese!!?

Everyone should be able to earn his/herself their very own permanent mount, but it won’t come cheap, it will be very valuable and a long term task, like working on making a Legendary Weapon.
You DON’T buy it from the Gemstore, you earn it for yourself through doing a long successful journey of obtaining lots of things and doing lots of various tasks all over Tyria to get it.
The only thign after that point, which you will be able to buy from the Gemstore should be the looks of your Moumt, how you want to make your Mount look like to be able to personalize it more, if you want.

Mount Skins, that you buy, like Finishing Move Skins, like Mail Bird Skins, like Minipet Skins…

I hope I was finally understandable enough!

You are suggesting that mounts be added to a game where they were not intended and provide those who like them, which is not everyone, with an advantage over those who do not. People who bought this game perhaps in part because there were no mounts should not be affected in the manner you describe.

Mounts [merged]

IrishPotato.6327

Most people would rather ride than walk. Don’t believe me? Leave your car/bike/horse/lear jet in the garage/driveway/barn/hangar for a week. Walk everywhere. To work, to the bank, to the grocery store, to the movies. Pretend all the waypoints are contested. Try to convince your friends, family, and co-workers to do the same. Heck, let’s reduce the time to just one day. Ready? Go!

Let me ask you this. When was the last time you walked all the way to Citadel of Flame from LA. When’s the last time you walked into a queue’d pvp match in spvp. When’s the last time you walked into silverwastes once you unlocked the waypoint there. Oh wait…There’s that fancy word that ANET made mounts irrelevant. Waypoints.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Wuselknusel.4082

Wuselknusel.4082

Let me ask you this. When was the last time you walked all the way to Citadel of Flame from LA. When’s the last time you walked into a queue’d pvp match in spvp. When’s the last time you walked into silverwastes once you unlocked the waypoint there. Oh wait…There’s that fancy word that ANET made mounts irrelevant. Waypoints.

And that’s why the game is dull.

Mounts [merged]

IrishPotato.6327

That’s actually an opinion. I personally enjoy not having to run up to dungeons every single time

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

I can not understand, still: what’s wrong about mounts?

Mounts [merged]

Wuselknusel.4082

That’s actually an opinion. I personally enjoy not having to run up to dungeons every single time

When was the last time you just wandered around the world? If people would care about the world and less about specific parts, ANet would shift its focus and the game would look a lot different from now, probably for the better.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

When was the last time you just wandered around the world? If people would care about the world and less about specific parts, ANet would shift its focus and the game would look a lot different from now, probably for the better.

Hi, ive been doing map completion on 3 different characters over the last 2 months, two of them are now at 92% and 1 of them is at 44% While the rest of my 12 characters hover between 10-54% and all but two are level 80. I wander the world everyday, im still finding things i havent seen since launch. I do not want mounts. We have plenty of speedboosts(most who want mounts also want massive speedboosts to go with) for those thinking exploration is slow, i dont use those even, unless i can make it part of my build. They(mounts) would take away from all that. And hes right, its your opinion that waypoints are why the game is dull. i like being able to pick up right where i left in my exploration easily, with the waypoints.

The fact that this game lacks them, is one of the reasons i bought it, Aside from playing GW1 for 7 years prior(Which didnt have mounts either(Also one of the reasons i played it.). “B-but the Junundus..and the devourer…”you say? Those arent mounts to me, those are mechanics for those maps, and only exist in those maps.) They clutter up the screen and force you to use them to go anywhere. This game isnt designed for mounts. Its small. The zones are small and easy to cross, even by walking.

Edit: I do nothing but PVE and Dungeons. I dont PVP, and i dont WVW. Ive crossed the world multiple times without any speedboost skills, or runes, or even items. Ive also been playing for three years. i hope they keep mounts cosmetic gem store items only, that cant be used in combat, and give no boosts(speed or otherwise) to the player who owns them.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

(edited by Dante.1763)

Mounts [merged]

Tachenon.5270

Waypoints don’t make mounts irrelevant — they make the game world feel small. Furthermore, waypoints, as presented, are illogical. That’s being kind, by the way.

Waypoints are fine in cities and settled areas. That’s where they belong. They have no place out in the wilderness. Unguarded. Unprotected. Unsafe. What’s to stop a bunch of hostile centaurs (or anybody else) from using waypoints to pop in unsuspected in LA? Only one thing: the devs don’t care enough about any of this to waste precious resources on it.

SPOILERS AHOY — you can turn back now, or learn the stuff you didn’t want you to know.

Except for that one time, of course, in LS2.

How lucky we were that Ol’ Mordy hit relatively remote waypoints instead of waypoints smack dab in Divinity’s Reach or the Black Citadel? If not for plot armor, those places would likely be jungles by now.

Answer me this: why isn’t every waypoint guarded? Why is there not a garrison of Pact troops (or even local militia, or even just one lone person to, ya know, monitor the situation) watching these things, in case something like that should happen again?

Waypoints especially do not belong in remote areas where we, the ones who get out and explore and so on and so forth, haven’t been yet. Like this ‘new’ place in the Maguuma Wastes. Will there be waypoints there, waiting for us to ‘discover’ them when we are at last able to go there? If the past is any indication, you betcha! Who put them there? Who hauled all the materials and workers necessary to build the things out into those remote unexplored regions? And why in the name of the however many gods there are now do we have to physically walk to a new (to us) waypoint before we can use it, when the kitten things are networked?

The very instant it was determined that an Elder Dragon could compromise waypoints and make use of them to further his/her draconic ends, every single one of the silly things should have been shut down. They are, quite literally, disasters waiting to happen.

Waypoints: a bad idea, implemented badly, without thought of the potential risks or concern for the safety of Tyria or its people, in order to make mounts irrelevant.

/e picard double facepalm

Now, bring on them mounts already. The world as we know it is at stake, and my characters’ feet are tired.

The table is a fable.

Mounts [merged]

Wuselknusel.4082

Who said I want mounts with speedboosts? Also, it is your opinion that you like mounts.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

The games that have mounts were designed from the ground up (technical wise) to support displaying them (taking into account the resources on both server and client end needed to support them). This is not the case in GW2 and while it’s easy to armchair quarterback what would be needed to add them into the game (wile maintaining current player performance across the game), anyone that states it would be “simple” or “easy” is greatly mistaken.

The debacle with minis (that still garners complaints when they are “un-displayable”) should prove to everyone that you can’t simply add multi-thousand polygon count, animated NPCs for every player to the game without performance issues that GW2 simply cannot support in it’s current state. Revamping the entire to game to add a vanity item that is not needed for actual game play travel is a pretty HUGE request and I feel quite confident it’s not going to happen.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Mounts [merged]

IrishPotato.6327

The games that have mounts were designed from the ground up (technical wise) to support displaying them (taking into account the resources on both server and client end needed to support them). This is not the case in GW2 and while it’s easy to armchair quarterback what would be needed to add them into the game (wile maintaining current player performance across the game), anyone that states it would be “simple” or “easy” is greatly mistaken.

The debacle with minis (that still garners complaints when they are “un-displayable”) should prove to everyone that you can’t simply add multi-thousand polygon count, animated NPCs for every player to the game without performance issues that GW2 simply cannot support in it’s current state. Revamping the entire to game to add a vanity item that is not needed for actual game play travel is a pretty HUGE request and I feel quite confident it’s not going to happen.

Probably one of the most reasonable counters to this discussion

EDIT: In response to those above
A. I wander around the world quite often. It’s one of the things I like to do in my casual time, especially Ascalonian regions because of the soundtrack for them is imo my favorite.
B. You say waypoints make the world feel small but to an extent mounts that make everything go by quicker but to a lesser degree than waypoints is, well, making the world feel smaller too

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Tere.4759

Tere.4759

The world is way too small for mounts. If it were bigger, it might be necessary but as it is, it isn’t necessary.

Guild Leader of The Black Court, we’re small, friendly and active.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: ObsiMoth.6342

ObsiMoth.6342

The most recent maps released by ANet have had significantly fewer waypoints, which is great I think; it means they are aware that people aren’t running places enough or seeing enough of their world, and are actively fixing the reason for that. I think anyone trying to justify the inclusion of mounts on the basis of exploration is not seeing the ‘real’ problem, which isn’t the waypoints themselves but the fact that theres just too many in vanilla content.

On the other hand, having mounts as a collectible is an interesting idea. I’d love to have a horse on my human a lot, but I’d really object to having some Sylvari riding around on some obscene plant wolf thing, or a charr riding in an iron motorbike. Unfortunately, you can’t really give mounts to one race without another, so for that reason I’d prefer to have none at all.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

I think if you added up all the time it took to write all these posts (that won’t have any real impact on the game) that time investment would easily add up to the time it takes to make at least one legendary.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Undo.5091

Undo.5091

So, I’m sure many of you watched the Ventari specialization stream today. I’m going to avoid talking about the actual focus of the stream in this topic because there were many teasers that seemed to have gone unnoticed by viewers. One of the biggest teasers, in my opinion, was the one that was right in front of our very eyes throughout the entire stream.

If you look at the image attached, you will see a close-up of Roy. His shirt IS the teaser. This comfortable looking Guild Wars themed shirt appears to have one image on the corner. For greater viewability…view-ability….more… easy to see, I have enhanced this image and flipped the color scheme. It would appear to be an engineer riding a horse mount. Why engineer? Well, my guess is because they wanted to show off parts of the new specialization, and what better way than by including the engineer class’ new weapon!?

Also, while I unfortunately could not snap a picture in time for it… during the stream, they introduced several player theories on screen. One of them dealt with Ventari mounts. At this time, Rubi and Roy laughed it off, but Rubi’s eyes fell upon the emblem on Roy’s snazzy GW shirt. One can only assume that this was her way of telling the player-base that we were not far off in our guesses.

Anyways, this clearly confirms the introduction of mounts for the Heart of Thorns expansion. If you have any comments, concerns, or other confirmations you would like to share, feel free to in this topic.

I also want to mention that I have speculation to believe these shirts will also be released around the same time as the expansion. Hopefully, we will be able to purchase a special edition in order to get one of these shirts as either a physical or digital item.

Attachments:

Engineer (XIII) (KoTR)
Darkhaven

(edited by Undo.5091)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

10/10 Would read again.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Engineers playing polo! Can’t wait!

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Elfrided.2064

Elfrided.2064

10/10 would croquet again.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Pics or it didn’t happ….oh.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: ReapsKitty.5618

ReapsKitty.5618

Today marks an end to the tyranny of those ruthlessly shooting down the reasons mounts can not be added to this game. All the nonbelievers have finally been proven wrong and shall pay for their misdeeds. Mounts confirmed 6/5/2015

Mounts [merged]

zenleto.6179

I’ve got off the mounts theory. It’s confirmation of Centaurs as a player species.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: ReapsKitty.5618

ReapsKitty.5618

I’ve got off the mounts theory. It’s confirmation of Centaurs as a player species.

I would agree with you had Undo not enhanced the image. That is clearly a hammer-wielding engineer riding a horse

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: rozer.8042

rozer.8042

is him! the badguy from higlander!!!

Attachments:

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Haha. Nice.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I got another theory:

That t-shirt is totally unrelated to guild wars.

Its just a polo shirt with a polo player on it.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Mounts [merged]

zenleto.6179

I got another theory:

That’s the single most silly theory in the whole thread!

Mounts [merged]

Wanze.8410

I got another theory:

That’s the single most silly theory in the whole thread!

Halfway through the video, if you are watching it in a sound proof cabin with dolby surround sound and the volume all cranked up, you can hear Roy fart and then Ruby itches her nose and her face looks like a raisin (you can only see that in super slomotion) for a short time.

Poison nerf confirmed.

Mounts [merged]

Andraus.3874

Hoping this gets merged with the abyss mount thread. This is exactly what that thread is missing: real evidence.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Lol amazing. Nice work OP

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Mounts [merged]

Undo.5091

I got another theory:

I’m sorry, but I will have to shoot this theory down. Everything within a Guild Wars stream is intended to be relative to the Guild Wars universe, so the shirt is no exception. For example, Roy Cronacher (Game Mount Designer) shares his first name with Roy Campbell (a character within the Metal Gear Solid series). The voice actor for Roy Campbell is Paul Eiding, who is also the voice actor for Warmaster Forgal Kernsson within Guild Wars 2. There is also an entire accessory type as well as a dye based off of the commonly used and completely understandable improper spelling of Rubi’s name (Ruby).

I would also like to point out that if this weren’t related to Guild Wars and was, in fact, just a shirt with a polo player on it… then I believe ArenaNet should become a clothing design company. Guild Wars is a fantastic universe and game, but these shirts could easily make a fortune. I could easily see myself using this as both casual or golf-style wear.

Engineer (XIII) (KoTR)
Darkhaven

(edited by Undo.5091)

Mounts [merged]

Wanze.8410

I got another theory:

I’m sorry, but I will have to shoot this theory down. Everything within a Guild Wars stream is intended to be relative to the Guild Wars universe

Chairs confirmed then. The RP community must be hype.

Mounts [merged]

Andraus.3874

I got another theory:

I’m sorry, but I will have to shoot this theory down. Everything within a Guild Wars stream is intended to be relative to the Guild Wars universe…..

I agree. If he didn’t want to accidentally send a message to the players through his clothing he simply would have went shirtless. This was totally on purpose.

Mounts [merged]

zenleto.6179

I got another theory:

I’m sorry, but I will have to shoot this theory down. Everything within a Guild Wars stream is intended to be relative to the Guild Wars universe…..

I agree. If he didn’t want to accidentally send a message to the players through his clothing he simply would have went shirtless. This was totally on purpose.

If he ever does that then More Skimpy Armours For Males confirmed!

We’ll be waiting Anet, we’ll be waiting…

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

OMG ralph lauren confirmed !!!!

[WM]give us in game ladder

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Oh my gosh, Undo, that’s brilliant!

Oh wait… ummm…

We all will pelt Roy with dampened saltines for giving away that valuable and oh-so-obvious information.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Mounts [merged]

Undo.5091

Oh my gosh, Undo, that’s brilliant!

I am sure we will all need to pelt Roy with dampened saltines for giving away that valuable and oh-so-obvious information.

#Mounts_Confirmed

Engineer (XIII) (KoTR)
Darkhaven

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Gerrand.3085

Gerrand.3085

If you look really carefully, you’ll notice that the rider isn’t actually holding a polo hammer – but a sausage on a really long fork.

This, without question, confirms the appearance of shirts in HoT.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

New PvP mode: Polo!!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

I thought it was a greatsword with a bratwurst on the end, but yeah, generally the same idea.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Mounts [merged]

Wanze.8410

I thought it was a greatsword with a bratwurst on the end, but yeah, generally the same idea.

I thought it was a bratwurst with a greatsword on the end.

But I am german.

Mounts [merged]

Wanze.8410

Asura Ball on mounts!

Time to dust off my Juggernaut.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I’m pretty sure that has nothing to do with mounts but the creation of Centaurs. Sort of a lore-nod to how Ventari was created.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Countess Aire.9410

Countess Aire.9410

It is a thief riding through a picnic stealing a sausage with a saber.

Mounts [merged]

Undo.5091

I would be perfectly okay with this… as long as it doesn’t turn into Asura-ball.

Engineer (XIII) (KoTR)
Darkhaven

(edited by Undo.5091)