Mounts [merged]

Mounts [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eddie Mo.7169

Eddie Mo.7169

I am one of those people who really want mounts to come, but I understand why they are not being implemented.

Why we should have mounts: Even if they don’t give a speed boost, mounts are a nice way to make your character look nice. People buy cool looking armor and weapons for a reason, so why not mounts?

Why we shouldn’t have mounts: Most items are not race specific, so neither should mounts. But, if a Human gets a horse, what about a Norn? Solution? Race specific mounts, but then that could be a huge problem when the Charr decides they really like the Asura mounts.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Lorath.2504

Lorath.2504

If they add mounts, they need to add realisism where you need to pay for a stable, vet care, food and water. Be a good gold sink or tradeable with other players. Don’t want to gather food for your mount? Pay for it or log in one day and it’s dead.

Theyd make it cost so much youd need to buy gems to be able to afford it.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Why we should have mounts: Even if they don’t give a speed boost, mounts are a nice way to make your character look nice.

Actually, no game I play with mounts make you look “nice” IMO due to the horrible graphical glitches caused by clipping issues such as weapons slicing through horses’ flanks, capes dropping onto the horse’s hind quarters, etc. etc. etc.

Mounts, like cloaks, are things that video game graphics systems are still incapable of rendering sensibly.

I agree with someone above who said they’d much rather deve. resources be devoted to real, playable content rather than a mechanic the game’s core design made redundant.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Never actually heard why there cant be mounts. Theres NPC MOUNTS, but no player mounts? Im not talking about skipping all the content and flying to lv 80 zones and grinding all vistas with my mount, but just something I can ride thats cool. This is fashion wars, but theres no mounts?

ArenaNet never was really against mounts, but because GW2 did try so hard to be ‘different’ it got also a lot of people that are extremely anti WoW and see any change that GW2 could make that is something WoW has, as a move towards WoW.

So even since release there has be a substantial part of the player base that does not want mounts ‘because WoW’. I have seen many threads about this and really the only real reason they don’t want mounts is “because WoW” and they are very strickt with that opinion (well sort of, will come back to that later). All the other reasons they did give against mounts where not more than excuses as they did understand that the real reason “Because WoW” was not a very good one.

So we have seen excuses as “it did not fit in the lore”, what makes no sense as GW1 had mounts, there where horse carriages since release in GW2, just as char copters, char vehicles, airships, submarines and so on. Also it would just look stupid and clutter the screen and flying was completely unthinkable.

However when Anet implemented the first mounts in the form of toys no complains did come in. the excuses simply changed. It was a toy, not a mount and did not give a speed-boost. When huge wings came in the game the anti-mount part of the community did not go wild because of the clutter while they clutter the screen more than most mounts. Now we have NPC’s on mounts what completely puts the nail in the coffin of the lore debate and nobody complains. And of course we have WvW mounts (but they don’t count because it’s for WvW) and then the gliders what are a form of flying mounts.. but now they are fine because they have some limitations compared to normal flying skins.

So basically, Anet does not want to kitten of that part of the player base but clearly does want mounts so basically introduce them slowly. And as long as you give that part of the player base an excuse they can tell them-selves why these mounts are not really mounts, they are just fine with mounts and use them.

So I think those mounts are coming soon, probably in the form of masteries. Because then it’s not just a mount but a mastery.. you see..

And then the playerbase can finally enjoy the fun of mounts.. uhhm I mean of that mastery.

I just hope, getting those mounts will also involve interesting game-play in the world. Not more gem-store mounts. This being a B2P game, not a cash-shop game. But so far Anet does have a very bad track-record. So while we might have the joy of riding mounts soon, we likely don’t have the game-play element so many enjoy that goes with it.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

If minis cause issues at times with swimming, fighting and stuff then how many issues would mounts cause. I can just hear the complaints now. “I am 1/32 of an inch off my horse!! Why can’t you fix this issue? It’s making the game unplayable for EVERYONE!!”

Really? No mounts ……

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

Seriously, but why are people asking for mounts? I play The Witcher 3, which has mounts. But hardly anyone uses them at all since its mostly faster to run to waypoints, just like in GW 2.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

ArenaNet never was really against mounts, but because GW2 did try so hard to be ‘different’ it got also a lot of people that are extremely anti WoW and see any change that GW2 could make that is something WoW has, as a move towards WoW.

So even since release there has be a substantial part of the player base that does not want mounts ‘because WoW’. I have seen many threads about this and really the only real reason they don’t want mounts is “because WoW” and they are very strickt with that opinion (well sort of, will come back to that later). All the other reasons they did give against mounts where not more than excuses as they did understand that the real reason “Because WoW” was not a very good one.

The main argument I have seen against mounts is that players would rather see the developers dedicate the resources needed to implement mounts elsewhere. Like new content, bug fixes and skin designs.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

Seriously, but why are people asking for mounts? I play The Witcher 3, which has mounts. But hardly anyone uses them at all since its mostly faster to run to waypoints, just like in GW 2.

Well i play witcher 3 and hardly ever use wp, I only use my mount. I think its inappropriate to generalize about a single player game where you cant get all the data.

I like mounts as it gives a new feeling to exploring the world, and for me is more enjoyable than walking. It helps bring old content back to life for me and would also be a good way of milking the cash shop. The magic carpet is awesome and I wish they would add a few more types of those toys.

@OP Anet has never said they are against mounts or given a reason why they arent in game as far as im aware, they just arent interested in developing that type of content at the moment. Most of their ‘mount’ focus is on gliders now.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

Race specific mounts, but then that could be a huge problem when the Charr decides they really like the Asura mounts.

Not as big of a problem as when the Asura decide they really like the Charr as mounts…

But seriously, this topic as been done to death. No, we don’t need two story tall mega glitter ponies like every other MMO in existence. The game is just fine without them. Better even.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

When huge wings came in the game the anti-mount part of the community did not go wild because of the clutter while they clutter the screen more than most mounts.

Some of the community, me included, HATE those wings with a burning passion. In fact, there have been a huge number of requests for an option to toggle off showing other peoples back pieces as a result.

Oh, and we don’t hate mounts because WoW had them, we hate mounts because they are tacky enormous stupid status symbols in 99.9% of the MMOs they’re implemented in. They’re tasteless and immersion breaking unless the devs work really hard to keep them as low key as possible. I absolutely can’t stand seeing people pull ridiculous 5 ton winged lions out of their pockets by magic that then disappear in a flash the moment they go in to combat.

If you seriously can’t live without that kind of stupid, just go play almost every other MMO ever.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Again, there are cosmetic mounts. They’re in the gemstore.

Oh, and the reason most players argue against the speed-boost mounts is because waypoints are, and will always be, better than mounts.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

What OP really should be asking himself is why he wants to make Guild Wars 2 exactly like every other MMO out there.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Why we should have mounts: Even if they don’t give a speed boost, mounts are a nice way to make your character look nice.

Actually, no game I play with mounts make you look “nice” IMO due to the horrible graphical glitches caused by clipping issues such as weapons slicing through horses’ flanks, capes dropping onto the horse’s hind quarters, etc. etc. etc.

Mounts, like cloaks, are things that video game graphics systems are still incapable of rendering sensibly.

I agree with someone above who said they’d much rather deve. resources be devoted to real, playable content rather than a mechanic the game’s core design made redundant.

It can and has been done but the extra tessellation needed would put extra strain on people’s systems. With dramatically improved performance coming with HBM2 cards (not just on, but especially on the VRAM front) that shouldn’t be an issue for the 2016 gamer however.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

What is this obsession people have with mounts? Where is this coming from?

No mounts please.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Again, there are cosmetic mounts. They’re in the gemstore.

Oh, and the reason most players argue against the speed-boost mounts is because waypoints are, and will always be, better than mounts.

In some ways waypoints are better but in other ways they aren’t. For example if you’re traveling around one map then with a mount even ranged attacks and leaps won’t get you into combat to slow you down and you’ll outrun the enemies’ leashes faster, so the only things you’ll need to kill are those just hanging around nodes that’ll somehow attack you just when you’re mining or logging. Fuel also has potential to be cheaper than waypoints (especially with organic mounts like horses since vehicle mounts would need some kind of oil.) since you’d likely gather the mats for it yourself. You can’t feed a horse silver or fuel a vehicle with silver, but need to flush some to teleport. Mounts if fast enough can also make it worth it to not waypoint everywhere, thus saving coin in the long run.

So mounts are better for single map gathering while waypoints are still better for long distance travel.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

Never actually heard why there cant be mounts. Theres NPC MOUNTS, but no player mounts? Im not talking about skipping all the content and flying to lv 80 zones and grinding all vistas with my mount, but just something I can ride thats cool. This is fashion wars, but theres no mounts?

Because the game engine won’t allow it – same reasons (As Colin explained in one of the recent podcasts) why they can’t make characters sit on chairs or other objects.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

They can’t even have your character sit in a chair! You think they’re going to make mounts for everyone?

Too much work, never going to happen.

More backpieces on the way.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

They can’t even have your character sit in a chair! You think they’re going to make mounts for everyone?

More girly fairy wings on the way.

Corrected.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

More girly fairy wings on the way.

Corrected.

Attachments:

Mounts [merged]

Devata.6589

The main argument I have seen against mounts is that players would rather see the developers dedicate the resources needed to implement mounts elsewhere. Like new content, bug fixes and skin designs.

Mounts is new content.. or better said, it was. They are now implemented for NPC’s so depending on how they implemented that, the core mechanism might already be there and implementing it for players might not be a big addition at this point.

Mounts [merged]

Devata.6589

When huge wings came in the game the anti-mount part of the community did not go wild because of the clutter while they clutter the screen more than most mounts.

Some of the community, me included, HATE those wings with a burning passion. In fact, there have been a huge number of requests for an option to toggle off showing other peoples back pieces as a result.

Oh, and we don’t hate mounts because WoW had them, we hate mounts because they are tacky enormous stupid status symbols in 99.9% of the MMOs they’re implemented in. They’re tasteless and immersion breaking unless the devs work really hard to keep them as low key as possible. I absolutely can’t stand seeing people pull ridiculous 5 ton winged lions out of their pockets by magic that then disappear in a flash the moment they go in to combat.

If you seriously can’t live without that kind of stupid, just go play almost every other MMO ever.

Sure, some people don’t like wings, but there was such a heavy outcry over them as you see people debate over mounts.

“we hate mounts because they are tacky enormous stupid status symbols in 99.9% of the MMOs” there are also items and numbers and titles status symbols in GW2. So you must that also hale all those things but when they would all be removed much of the fun of an MMO is gone and the hunt for these items is a big part of a MMO.

“They’re tasteless” That is a personal opinion. Some might find Asura tasteless as well.

“I absolutely can’t stand seeing people pull ridiculous 5 ton winged lions out of their pockets by magic that then disappear in a flash the moment they go in to combat.” I agree it would be better if you mount came running to you, and run away again (like in the Witcher 3). But that already happens in GW2. Ranger pets, weapon swapping, gliders and so on.

That was the point.. all these complains make no sense. In the end it comes down to “just go play almost every other MMO ever.”. You refer to “every other MMO”, most specifically point to WoW.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Shoe.5821

Shoe.5821

they arnt going to add mounts to central tyria or magus falls.

they might add a new zone (crystal desert?) with mounts as a regional mechanic, like gliders in magus falls.

though i’d rather having something like Dune worms that travel along with a bunch of people fighting from their back than individually controlled magic horses

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

More mounts would be great!

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Because people don’t want to be at the TP or Bank with a horse kitten in their face.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Just disable them in buildings, same as wow did.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Actually there isn’t NPC mounts. The lastest Guild Chat had a couple of members from the monster team as guests and those NPCs riding mounts, are a single animated model and not a Modrem riding a separate mount. They did not add tech to allow a biped rig to ride a mount.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

There are no valid reasons why mounts shouldn’t be in the game, and several reasons why they should be – mostly as a very interesting collectible that would generate more revenue than they would cost.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Asking for an “excuse” implies there is something that needs to be excused.

There isn’t.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Mounts [merged]

Behellagh.1468

There are no valid reasons why mounts shouldn’t be in the game, and several reasons why they should be – mostly as a very interesting collectible that would generate more revenue than they would cost.

Want a valid reason, ANet doesn’t think they are necessary. Their game, their beliefs, their rules. That’s all the “excuse” they need.

You are going into an Italian restaurant and try to convince them that they should add burgers and fries on the menu because other restaurants have it. Mounts aren’t a “thing” with ANet. Instead we have a waypoint system to cross distances quickly. True you have to make it there first to activate it for you but that part of the whole “exploring” the world.

RIP City of Heroes

Mounts [merged]

Einlanzer.1627

Want a valid reason, ANet doesn’t think they are necessary. Their game, their beliefs, their rules. That’s all the “excuse” they need.

You are going into an Italian restaurant and try to convince them that they should add burgers and fries on the menu because other restaurants have it. Mounts aren’t a “thing” with ANet. Instead we have a waypoint system to cross distances quickly. True you have to make it there first to activate it for you but that part of the whole “exploring” the world.

That isn’t an excuse or a reason, it’s just dogma.

Mounts [merged]

Behellagh.1468

And dogma isn’t a reason? It’s like why we don’t have dueling. PvE, according to their dogma, is meant to be a place where seeing another player isn’t a bad thing. There isn’t anything wrong with having a dogma for your game’s design.

RIP City of Heroes

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Roda.7468

Roda.7468

And dogma isn’t a reason? It’s like why we don’t have dueling. PvE, according to their dogma, is meant to be a place where seeing another player isn’t a bad thing. There isn’t anything wrong with having a dogma for your game’s design.

But aren’t duels supposed to be consensual? How is it bad of both people accept the duel?

Mounts [merged]

Einlanzer.1627

No, it isn’t. It’s just dogma. Dogma really should have sound reasoning behind it. No mounts really doesn’t.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Because the game engine won’t allow it – same reasons (As Colin explained in one of the recent podcasts) why they can’t make characters sit on chairs or other objects.

Heres your big reason.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: One Prarie Outpost.4860

One Prarie Outpost.4860

Isn’t posting a post that has been repeated over and over something that is frowned upon and, in fact is against the rules of the forum? Why create a whole new thread when you could have posted on one of the existing threads?

Mounts [merged]

Dante.1763

Isn’t posting a post that has been repeated over and over something that is frowned upon and, in fact is against the rules of the forum? Why create a whole new thread when you could have posted on one of the existing threads?

Youd think theyd realize this. These threads get merged into the mega mount thread that already exists.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: One Prarie Outpost.4860

One Prarie Outpost.4860

Youd think theyd realize this. These threads get merged into the mega mount thread that already exists.

You would think they would realize that mounts are not ever going to be added and if they want mounts, they need to play another game.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Miserymachine.7512

Miserymachine.7512

There is a point at which a dead horse topic becomes a ‘seriously why haven’t they done it yet’ topic simply because the unrelenting desire for it.

Honestly I’d trade mini-pets for mounts any day of the week.

Mounts [merged]

Dante.1763

You would think they would realize that mounts are not ever going to be added and if they want mounts, they need to play another game.

Aw here you go “Avoid frivolous and duplicate postings.” straight from the Code of conduct.

And yes, exactly what you posted. With the Reason given as the game engine just cant handle mounts. Thats /why/ all NPCS on “Mounts” are in fact just a single entity, just like the GW1 skeleton horsemen. They arent on mounts, they /are/ the “mount”

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Mini pets are awful as they are now. Mounts could only be worse.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

We need mounts <3

I wait …. T-T

You’ll be waiting forever.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: phreeak.1023

phreeak.1023

the old excuses “engine cant….”
The engine can… like sitting on an chair. The problem is, every chair needs a new animation (for every race), when the style is different. And the work is not worth it….for such a gimmick.

Sames goes for mounts. most mmo’s just using revamps of old models (new skin), less work, but Fashion Wars would turn into Flame wars, after the 10th Tiger with a different skin :P

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

I always smile when I see this thread. It’s comforting. Like an old friend that you haven’t seen in awhile. May it always live in infamy.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: erKo.9586

erKo.9586

I would like mounts.. and the old WvW back.

[WvW] Thanks Anet for listening to your players during 2016.
Far Shiverpeaks – EU – Since release.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: AlphaMadMax.8321

AlphaMadMax.8321

I think mounts will be added, just like new maps from HoT got gliding exclusive, there will probably be new expansion that will include mounts, something like Crystal Desert, or maybe Flame Legion Homelands, or Shiverpeak Mountains. They will probably be implemented but not in near future

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

People would use their mount everywhere just to show how a big mount they (big mount, tiny d… ?)
The worst is that it take the focus away from the character to the mount (because they’re necessarily bigger).
I want to play my character, not a mount with a character on it.

Also, what would happen when attacked? A whole dolyak vanishing into thin air? They stay near you and you must prevent them to be killed by foes?

Waypoints are better and faster!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: sneaaak.2684

sneaaak.2684

They must adds a mounts .

Free movement and faster .. Same tera online .

Add will be good for the game <3

(edited by sneaaak.2684)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Pie.3481

Pie.3481

I know it is a long time from the next April Fools but I was hoping, with the new glider system, we would be able to buy a very specific April Fools glider off the store. Any chance GW2 can have a glider based off the airplane animation from a prior April Fools day? I want to glide around with my character’s arms straight out making airplane noises; even if the noises are just audible only on my client.

Anyone else think this might be a fun idea?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Nero.8047

Nero.8047

Sorry to be that guy but:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Glider-Suggestions-Share-Them-Here/first
for all your glider suggestions.

And yours has been suggested quite a few times already. :/

Paragon of the Seraphim Order [Ankh]
a small, casual Guild with a play as you want style.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Riku.4821

Riku.4821

As they said above.
Personally I’d prefer an April fools announcement that gliding is unlocked for everyone now. But it isn’t so a bunch of people try and fall to their death. That would be great.

Guild Leader of Lunar Tree[LT].
Officer of Power Overwhelming[ZERK].
First term Forum PvE Specialist.