Mounts [merged]

Mounts [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I’m primarily against mounts because they just look ridiculous (referencing WoW) and they add screen clutter. This can make it even more difficult to see stuff on top of the excessive special effects from abilities as well as adding onto CPU load.

On the one hand, I agree. I wouldn’t mind some lore-appropriate, badkitten looking mounts, but I fear it will be more “floating crystals and screechy noises” than a sleek, regal beast.

On the other, The Dreamer still exists and refuses to die. I don’t have faith that ANet will seek to reduce nuisance in this regard.

There’s also a ton of waypoints

Core Tyria has plenty of waypoints, and except for Orr, they’re mostly active. A closed waypoint is still useless. The newer maps are moving away from having the same waypoint density, and I expect that trend to continue into the expansion and living story maps. That most certainly leaves a little wiggle room for mounts. I’m not demanding it, but I can see the devs shifting design to accommodate it.

Where HoT was stacked high to make use of gliding, expect the Xpac zones to be very wide to make the most of mounts.

along with movement speed that can be obtained with traits, abilities/skills, and consumables.

I will be very, very glad if the mount masteries eventually get released for the rest of open world. I’m well beyond done with having to lock in traits and skills to reach objectives or events. We’ll see a lot more build variety once certain “required” build elements are no longer required.

I could see mounts working but only for maps designed specifically for them and to perform specific functions. Like how in GW1, the sandwurms were used to travel across specific portions of the Desolation and the siege devoured was used as a method to deal a lot of AoE damage at the expense of speed. They shouldn’t provide swiftness of any kind.

Tl;dr; If added, they should be used on maps specifically designed for them to handle specific challenges rather than used throughout the entire game.

I suspect this is the route the Xpac will take. Different mounts for different situations, possibly a different one for each map. I worry that it will be more of ANet’s pattern of “gimmick” gameplay (ie, not letting players use their own skills and traits), but hopefully they’ll be useful for mobility as well as their gimmick-combat.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

(edited by Rauderi.8706)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

Yeah. I’ve never seen people use whether there are mounts in a game as a decision points as to whether to play it or not. It’s not likely players are going to magically decide to play the game just because mounts were added.

Yeah, I’ll probably continue to play but there is no way I’ll spend a cent on an expansion that has any mounts in it. Period.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Dragon.4782

Dragon.4782

If people are thinking : ‘’Hey there’s mounts in this game , i’m gonna play’’ NO! If you are playing this game/ came back from a break just for the mounts, you shouldn’t be here.

[Keep GW2 different] : This game was different before Raids came and now mounts. Am I playing GW or the clone of a clone ?

I am not getting the expansion for the mounts, like the majority i am here for the crystal desert and Elona. That being said, i don’t mind the griffin and jackal mount but i will only use them when its completely necessary and not for the fun of it. Also, i stand by the fact that they should’ve focused more on working towards tengu or kodan playability than mounts.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Xibalbar.7459

Xibalbar.7459

I like mounts, i whould like to see them as a part of the game. Why should it be a problem ? I bet most of people complaining about it are the first one buying a mount….like allways.

There is just not a single argument against.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

There is just not a single argument against that I will accept.

fixed that for you.

there have been plenty of arguments for and against listed in this very thread. some people’s opinions are different to yours, but their opinions are just as valid.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Xibalbar.7459

Xibalbar.7459

fixed that for you.

there have been plenty of arguments for and against listed in this very thread. some people’s opinions are different to yours, but their opinions are just as valid.

And how a mount affect your gameplay if someone else is using it ? It is very easy, dont use it ? For the openworld part there is no argument against. Gw2`s motto is to pick the way you like, why should be with a simple mount a different story.

I dont get the logic against it………

Mounts [merged]

nottsgman.8206

fixed that for you.

And how a mount affect your gameplay if someone else is using it ? It is very easy, dont use it ? For the openworld part there is no argument against. Gw2`s motto is to pick the way you like, why should be with a simple mount a different story.

I dont get the logic against it………

it doesn’t affect me in any way. you can do what you like.

however, it is disingenuous to say that valid arguments haven’t been made.

personally, I don’t like the idea of mounts (for my own reasons that aren’t listed here by me, and I won’t go in to), but even I will admit that there have been valid arguments for mounts being added.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: SeranusGaming.7362

SeranusGaming.7362

Honestly, I just want to see an Asura with a Charr for a mount. That alone would be worth the cost of the expansion.

Kara “Tiptoes” Sheridan (Ranger)
Tarnished Coast Roleplayers [TCRP]
“Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.”

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Honestly, I just want to see an Asura with a Charr for a mount. That alone would be worth the cost of the expansion.

You mean like this?

Attachments:

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: SeranusGaming.7362

SeranusGaming.7362

You mean like this?

“Can you feel the love tonight….?”

Attachments:

Kara “Tiptoes” Sheridan (Ranger)
Tarnished Coast Roleplayers [TCRP]
“Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.”

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

You mean like this?

Thats just to cute, will snag it for my profile pics somewere.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: TheWolf.1602

TheWolf.1602

wouldn’t it be funny if mounts turn out to be the new ranger elite spec?
we would never hear the end of it…

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Sazukikrah.5036

Sazukikrah.5036

Assuming everyone by this time knows we are getting mounts next expansion.. Apologies if you didn’t sorry for the spoiler.. Any who.. Will mounts be able to be ridden in Central Tyria? Just like how they made Gliders able to use any where instead of HoT maps? What do you think? Hopefully the mounts are not restricted to be used at stables on the new expansion map. I wonder how mounts will be “summoned” any way? Will there be stables? Or a hot key that spawns mounts?

Hadi the Edgemaster – Pro level Warrior (Youtube Hadi the Edgemaster)
Black Gate Tier 1 Roamer
Harbinger " I will make you (QQ)"

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

No unlike gliding what would they add?

We cant run in the air but now we can glide.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Sazukikrah.5036

Sazukikrah.5036

I wonder how the mechanics would work for Mounts? Right now Gliding is just a re-skin of Falling ; meaning they just changed falling speed and put a glider over it. So how would mounts really work? Would they have strafe and stuff or do they turn and move like mounts in other games?

Hadi the Edgemaster – Pro level Warrior (Youtube Hadi the Edgemaster)
Black Gate Tier 1 Roamer
Harbinger " I will make you (QQ)"

Mounts [merged]

nottsgman.8206

I wonder how the mechanics would work for Mounts? Right now Gliding is just a re-skin of Falling ; meaning they just changed falling speed and put a glider over it. So how would mounts really work? Would they have strafe and stuff or do they turn and move like mounts in other games?

I predict mounts would be a re-skin of running.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

I predict mounts will be area specific and usuable from certain mount areas similar to GW1.

Also that comment on gliding; first you talk about mechanics, then you decide to call gliding a derivative of falling which is so oversimplifying the difficulty off adding that mechanic, if I were a dev I would most certainly be offended.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: SnowHawk.3615

SnowHawk.3615

I don’t think mounts should be any faster than a slight increase in speed – maybe 10%
I don’t like the idea of mounts in this game – but they need to adapt and evolve to keep it going – but that doesn’t mean adding mounts – but I mean they did add stupid back wings and ridiculous hair colors and style – so why not.
I wish they’d cater to ppl who want more practical non lore breaking items for once.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Maelzrael.8142

Maelzrael.8142

I like that mounts are being added. I hope they are usable everywhere, beautiful, and accessible outside the cash completely as a feature of the expansion. I hope they go 10-20% faster than any other way of moving in the game; and I PRAY they are usable in WvW.
Still shocked there isn’t even 1 single cape in the gem store though.
If mounts are a gem store thing, then I am against even adding them at all.

Enlightening the minds of the youth.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I predict mounts would be a re-skin of running.

Knowing Anet, I pretty much agree with this. As of now, I wouldn’t be surprised if mounted folks couldn’t go any faster than boosted running, just like riding the Magic Carpet and the Broomstick, and I’d be ok with that.

I guess we’ll see though.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

I’m against mounts on all acounts, it doesn’t fit gw2. Magic carpets etc and other stuff (maybe golems?) other magic stuff, that would work. But monsters carrying you? nope. It would destroy gw2 immersion, and quickly make it feel like a korean grind game. People will ignore graphics when on mounts too, and thus they will be bored more quickly, take my word for it anet. Walking = being forced to enjoy graphics.

I hope Anet comes to it senses, and find other gem shop hypes to go on, like glide skins.

As for the ‘if you don’t like it don’t use it’. Won’t work. It’s like facebook. 90% uses it, so you must (in a limited way) use it, if you want to stay connected to certain friends (who for instance have now only facebook as chatting app). Same with mounts. Also as i raid, immersion now is that most gw2 characters walk, and love to walk. That’s also how the game feels/teached us to like it. When all over the place big mounts will sprint by you, nope doesn’t fit gw2. And not using it will not remove the immersion break everytime a mount runs by. Especially an ultra flash, unicorn arrow glow spamming mount.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

(edited by Phoebe Ascension.8437)

Mounts [merged]

Ayrilana.1396

If they do add mounts into the game, and are available maps outside of that expansion, they must not provide anything other than aesthetics. I would also want an option that allows me to toggle off the visualization of the mounts on my screen so I don’t have to see that screen clusterkitten and have my PC’s performance affected by it.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

I dont mind it. But seeing the leaked Elonian maps, they are pretty huge, just only 1 map zone, and with lesser WP on our newer maps it will make sense to have some sort of mounts on these Elonian maps.
Since we know so little about mounts in our upcoming expansion, we cant really say we hate or love it already.

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

If they do add mounts into the game, and are available maps outside of that expansion, they must not provide anything other than aesthetics. I would also want an option that allows me to toggle off the visualization of the mounts on my screen so I don’t have to see that screen clusterkitten and have my PC’s performance affected by it.

I really doubt the developers will add mounts everywhere. There is literally nothing good that can come out of adding mounts to the game as it is now. Now, if the new maps support them, they could add them there, but in any case mounts everywhere will never happen, I’m sure our developers are beyond that.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

If they do add mounts into the game, and are available maps outside of that expansion, they must not provide anything other than aesthetics.

One of them is the new glider, so they’re probably going to be more than just cosmetic.

There is literally nothing good that can come out of adding mounts to the game as it is now.

For ArenaNet there is. It’s simple advertising and will boost sales.

Mounts [merged]

Ayrilana.1396

If they do add mounts into the game, and are available maps outside of that expansion, they must not provide anything other than aesthetics.

One of them is the new glider, so they’re probably going to be more than just cosmetic.

There is literally nothing good that can come out of adding mounts to the game as it is now.

Maybe. It didn’t seem like there would be anything that would glide or fly. We don’t know how the hover could behave.

Mounts [merged]

maddoctor.2738

And that cannot happen by adding mounts only to the new zones and keep them out of the old ones?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

If you add mounts and can only use them in the expansion only then you would also need to add borderpatrol stations that take your mounts while you’re traveling in the lands that forbid the usage of “mounts”. xD

Seriously, there’s no argument against not adding them to other maps. Other than pure personal preference.

Plus even with gliding, they found a way to disable gliding where they didn’t want it. They can do the same with mounts or any other future additions. So there are options there that would be in place if it were to break the game. They thought of it last time, so why wouldn’t they think of it now.

I’m not entirely sold on the whole mount thing, and to me it’s just as a generic addition to the game as raids were way back when. It’s just that one thing that alot of other MMOs have too. So fine alright I guess. I mean, if anything I really liked about mounts was riding on mounts with more than one person, in ArcheAge. I just loved to ride with my girlfriend and being driven around, or otherwise. Plus you nurtured them yourself. So there was this bonding moment.

Mounts can be really great, imo. If taken seriously anyway. So if they add them, and don’t add them to the rest of the world, while they did so with gliders, I would find that very strange. Personally always found it strange the stone summit had mounts, but humans never came to the idea. Not to mention Hylek and mordrem in HoT.

All the lesser races are doing it, why cant we. xD

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Mounts [merged]

maddoctor.2738

If you add mounts and can only use them in the expansion only then you would also need to add borderpatrol stations that take your mounts while you’re traveling in the lands that forbid the usage of “mounts”. xD

You cannot use Oakheart Salve’s outside Draconis Mons. You can’t take the Mechanic Devourer outside of Edge of the Mists either. Not allowing Mounts outside the expansion is easy, make them disappear when you go out of the zone, problem solved.

Seriously, there’s no argument against not adding them to other maps. Other than pure personal preference.

So increasing lag isn’t an argument? Decreasing game performance is not an argument?
Reducing visibility of npcs (even further) isn’t an argument? I’m sorry but just because you call it “pure personal preference” doesn’t mean it actual is. There are more than enough reasons not to add mounts to the game, at least in old-world zones.

Mounts [merged]

FrizzFreston.5290

You cannot use Oakheart Salve’s outside Draconis Mons. You can’t take the Mechanic Devourer outside of Edge of the Mists either. Not allowing Mounts outside the expansion is easy, make them disappear when you go out of the zone, problem solved.

Oakheart salves are in Guild Halls. And who knows in the new map. Plus they are a consumable buff. And the Mechanic Devourer is available in the Silverwastes after an event. Bet you forgot that one.

But seriously, ofcourse it’s possible for them to limit it. I made no comment about it. I just said that I would find it weird. Thematically speaking.

So increasing lag isn’t an argument? Decreasing game performance is not an argument?
Reducing visibility of npcs (even further) isn’t an argument? I’m sorry but just because you call it “pure personal preference” doesn’t mean it actual is. There are more than enough reasons not to add mounts to the game, at least in old-world zones.

Those are no arguments, those are physical limitations. If ArenaNet can make it happen then there’s no argument against it.

You only see for and against, I only see problems that can be solved.

Reduced visibility of NPCs a huge problem? Make an area around them where mounts cant be used. Or hide players all together, you know, this system where they cull entire players.

Lag or game performance (same argument really) Can be solved by hiding mounts of other players like what happens with minipets. Not to mention that this makes me wonder about the expansion itself. Or other additions that are also taxing (animated legendary armour, flashy back items, toys, instruments, gliders) I’m fairly sure that if they can fix it for new maps, which will most likely be loaded more than any old maps at expansion launch, with more new technologies and animations they can use.

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

Mounts [merged]

maddoctor.2738

Oakheart salves are in Guild Halls. And who knows in the new map. Plus they are a consumable buff. And the Mechanic Devourer is available in the Silverwastes after an event. Bet you forgot that one.

The point was you can’t take them outside the respective zone. Is it weird? No it’s not so why would it be weird to limit mounts only on specific zones?

Those are no arguments, those are physical limitations. If ArenaNet can make it happen then there’s no argument against it.

Only they cannot be solved and ArenaNet cannot make it happen. Mounts are not legendary weapons or legendary armor, they tend to be large things, that both cover more parts of the screen and are more taxing. Also, removing a mini-pet or using a default player model doesn’t change what the character is doing. Removing their mount does. There is a huge difference here

Also, you find it weird that someone on a mount won’t be able to use it outside the new zones, but you are asking for a zone around npcs that mounts cannot be used on? Seriously now?

Mounts [merged]

FrizzFreston.5290

The point was you can’t take them outside the respective zone. Is it weird? No it’s not so why would it be weird to limit mounts only on specific zones?

Because they are not magical vines. Nor machines tied to specific events. The ability to use those doesn’t disappear when you move zones. They are just not available in other zones. Just as in guild halls you take a sample. With mounts I see it like ranger pets.. its more of a companion, which comes along with you where ever you go.

Only they cannot be solved and ArenaNet cannot make it happen. Mounts are not legendary weapons or legendary armor, they tend to be large things, that both cover more parts of the screen and are more taxing. Also, removing a mini-pet or using a default player model doesn’t change what the character is doing. Removing their mount does. There is a huge difference here

Also, you find it weird that someone on a mount won’t be able to use it outside the new zones, but you are asking for a zone around npcs that mounts cannot be used on? Seriously now?

How would you know what they can and cannot do? Youre just saying that without any basis for such other than stating it as a fact and hope ArenaNet actually cant do it. I wont disagree that IF they actually cant do it that then they shouldn’t do it. But if they can do it without severly impacting the games stability across the board then i dont see why not.

And yes culling exists. I have ran through areas where i see no players or even basic enemy models because there are so many. Not to mention when you dont see all the spell effects but just their circles. It is also weird, yes. But then being able to walk through other people is also weird. It is practical however. Anet is the one deciding what is needed and what isnt gamebreaking.

Mounts [merged]

maddoctor.2738

The ability to use those doesn’t disappear when you move zones. They are just not available in other zones.

And how do you know how these mounts are going to work? How do you know they won’t be summoned from something (like the machine devourers)? How do you know they won’t work like junundu wurms in GW1, summoning them at specific places to let you traverse a part of the map, then let them go? Do you have inside knowledge of how these are going to work, a magic ball or gone to the future?

How would you know what they can and cannot do?

A post about optimization:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ajnso/bad_optimalization_in_gw2/csdnn3n/

Doubling the amount of characters on screen (everyone and their mounts) isn’t going to do wonders with optimization. Removing a backpack and/or using default character doesn’t detract from the game, but making a mount invisible? While someone is riding it? How would that character interact with others? Will he use his mounted animations on an invisible mount or something?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

imo, the best and easiest way to go for Anet, is to make some changes to items like the riding broom, sonic tunneling tool and flying carpet.
The most important change being the speed.

No creatures that have body movements, but more static items, or maybe machines.
Like a steam engined car for Charr, for Asura something that looks like those flying bikes from Star Wars, etc.

Mounts [merged]

FrizzFreston.5290

The ability to use those doesn’t disappear when you move zones. They are just not available in other zones.

And how do you know how these mounts are going to work? How do you know they won’t be summoned from something (like the machine devourers)? How do you know they won’t work like junundu wurms in GW1, summoning them at specific places to let you traverse a part of the map, then let them go? Do you have inside knowledge of how these are going to work, a magic ball or gone to the future?

I should note that I said that it could work, and how I see mounts. Not that it will be this way exactly. It being weird is merely my opinion. Which should be obvious. From what we have seen through leaks, and with previous masteries like gliding in mind, it doesn’t seem like they are like junundu wurms. But hey I can envision it would need to be limited to expansion zones. In that case, my previously silly idea isnt that silly at all, and they will have stables where you pick up your mount. Could be a thing I suppose. Though even then they could add those stables to other parts of the game.

How would you know what they can and cannot do?

A post about optimization:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ajnso/bad_optimalization_in_gw2/csdnn3n/

Doubling the amount of characters on screen (everyone and their mounts) isn’t going to do wonders with optimization. Removing a backpack and/or using default character doesn’t detract from the game, but making a mount invisible? While someone is riding it? How would that character interact with others? Will he use his mounted animations on an invisible mount or something?

Yeah, they will need to look into such things or hopefully already have considering they said a few months after the last episode, especially with the expansion launch. It does not state that it is impossible however. If it was, I fear for the expansion itself. Not just the ability to use them on the old maps. Just limiting them to the expansion wouldnt make a difference if it causes the problems you say it does. Ofcourse, the new maps could be so barren that it is possible maybe? Though I dont think that its that simple. Either way, it doesnt state its impossible.

A fun fact is, mounts in some other games work exactly like that, you look like youre riding air. It is indeed weird.

But I’m done talking in circles. Either Anet can make it happen or cant make it happen, I dont know. And then they can decide whether they want to. Youre against, I’m more for than against.

Mounts [merged]

maddoctor.2738

In that case, my previously silly idea isnt that silly at all, and they will have stables where you pick up your mount.

How do you envision you will summon the mounts? With a magical whistle that makes them appear in front of you out of thin air? And how do you envision you will “dismount” from your mount? Will the mount become a pet and follow you around, or like most other mmorgps, it will magically disappear the same way it appeared?
If they follow the standard mmorpg patterns of appearing/disappearing out of thin air, then the same way can be used to make them disappear when you are in an area that doesn’t support them. Magically appear, magically disappear. No need for stables or anything of the like to store them.

It does not state that it is impossible however.

The main bottleneck with game performance is the main thread. And adding mounts, means double the characters on screen, meaning more strain on that main thread.
It’s highly unlikely that a mount would use a different thread than the rest of the game, if it was that easy to split it then they would’ve done it by now for other items and not wait for mounts.

Mounts [merged]

Healix.5819

Maybe. It didn’t seem like there would be anything that would glide or fly. We don’t know how the hover could behave.

The griffon can jump and wing flap, which is likely slow fall. They wouldn’t want to require HoT to play the next expansion, so they’ll either not require gliders or simply reintroduce them. They’re going to need a lot more invisible walls however if they simply allow these special abilities; high jumps for example.

And that cannot happen by adding mounts only to the new zones and keep them out of the old ones?

There’s no point in advertising to people who’ve already purchased the expansion, and the more restricted mounts are, the harder they’ll be to sell. Making them useless or not allowing them in the core game would only be costing ArenaNet, which is likely why they rushed to add gliding to the core game.

In their revenue report, they noted the disappointment of HoT’s sales and failing to sell to F2Pers. It’s really no surprise that they’re finally trying mounts, which are probably the most popular item in MMOs. Look at how well gliders sold. With mounts being far more useable and several types to choose from, they’re going to sell a lot more, as long as people can regularly use them.

Mounts [merged]

FrizzFreston.5290

In that case, my previously silly idea isnt that silly at all, and they will have stables where you pick up your mount.

How do you envision you will summon the mounts? With a magical whistle that makes them appear in front of you out of thin air? And how do you envision you will “dismount” from your mount? Will the mount become a pet and follow you around, or like most other mmorgps, it will magically disappear the same way it appeared?
If they follow the standard mmorpg patterns of appearing/disappearing out of thin air, then the same way can be used to make them disappear when you are in an area that doesn’t support them. Magically appear, magically disappear. No need for stables or anything of the like to store them.

Outside of the discussion?
I would love to see them walking beside me like ranger pets. (But even there where do ranger pets go when stowed or swapped out) But that most likely would only work in an ideal limitless world. Magically disappear and reappear is something that is usually used, yeah. I don’t see that much of a problem with it either.

I just used stables as a way to convey that they can only be used in a specific area. It has no effect on whether they can limit it, which they undoubtedly can. I just think that artificial limitations, because of the personal preference “we don’t like older areas with mounts”, are a bit weird. I rather have it to have a reason, like “cities don’t allow the usage of mounts”, or “this area is toxic for mount” It’s probably pure fluff-lore, and maybe not necessary. I similarly find it sort of strange that they limit gliding in some jumping puzzles, but not in others. All the while that portals are allowed in the puzzles that don’t allow gliding. On the other hand, I prefer to do my jumping puzzles with gliding disabled so I don’t open them accidentally.

I just like the game world to make sense, realistically. And then I don’t mean real life like, as real life doesn’t have magic, obviously. It has to make some sense, ideally speaking. So yeah, my initial reaction to mounts is or was, why now? Why weren’t there mounts before. Then a step further, wait why did other races have mounts and we didn’t. That is something I would love seeing explained in the expansion itself. It could also be that they don’t explain it. Which I personally would find rather disappointing. Albeit it not entirely game world breaking.

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

They have overcome technical difficulties in the past (i.e. the 25 stack cap which nullified the use of condition based specs) and if they introduce moutns they will overcome this difficulty, despite the ancient engine they use.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Mounts [merged]

maddoctor.2738

In their revenue report, they noted the disappointment of HoT’s sales and failing to sell to F2Pers.

There is a thin line between getting new customers and alienating old ones. I guess we’ll have to wait for the expansion and see what it’s all about!

I just like the game world to make sense, realistically.

I don’t think any kind of mount (as they are implemented in video games) would make any sense “realistically”. But we’ll wait and see what they come up with, just don’t get your hopes up for it to be anything “realistic”

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

In their revenue report, they noted the disappointment of HoT’s sales and failing to sell to F2Pers.

There is a thin line between getting new customers and alienating old ones. I guess we’ll have to wait for the expansion and see what it’s all about!

I just like the game world to make sense, realistically.

I don’t think any kind of mount (as they are implemented in video games) would make any sense “realistically”. But we’ll wait and see what they come up with, just don’t get your hopes up for it to be anything “realistic”

Humans ride Horses, Elephants, Sheep, Donkeys, Ostriches, Camels, Cows/Bulls and Killer Whales in reality, so I really can’t see anything out of the realm of reality for a fictional game world.

Here’s how mounts will work;
- +33% movement speed, so no more advantage than swiftness.
- A separate skill set that will be no better than any of the other transformation skill sets and therefore easy to balance.
- Additional abilities that work with map mechanics specifically, no more advantage than the mushrooms in HoT for example.

Essentially for the expansion maps they will be needed for certain things, the rest of the world they will be cosmetic and QoL enhancement that merely remove the need to cast swiftness constantly.

Mounts [merged]

Ayrilana.1396

The griffon can jump and wing flap, which is likely slow fall. They wouldn’t want to require HoT to play the next expansion, so they’ll either not require gliders or simply reintroduce them. They’re going to need a lot more invisible walls however if they simply allow these special abilities; high jumps for example.

They’re not going to duplicate masteries. Griffons in the game don’t glide; they jump into the air and hover. Their mechanic would likely be being able to hover in the air and travel short distances which is what they do in game.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If they implement the next expansion, as the Devs said they will, they won’t need to consider ‘not requiring HoT to play’, as it will be included, along with the Core game.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

It does not state that it is impossible however.

The main bottleneck with game performance is the main thread. And adding mounts, means double the characters on screen, meaning more strain on that main thread.
It’s highly unlikely that a mount would use a different thread than the rest of the game, if it was that easy to split it then they would’ve done it by now for other items and not wait for mounts.

In another game ai have played mounts replace an existing character model with a new one that is “mounted.” The portion of the new model that resembles the original character model is largely inanimate as the portion that looks like a mount is animated. The result is not twice as many characters on screen, but rather somewhat larger, but less complex in terms of animation, characters.

Mounts [merged]

Healix.5819

If they implement the next expansion, as the Devs said they will, they won’t need to consider ‘not requiring HoT to play’, as it will be included, along with the Core game.

The problem is in forcing players to play through other content first. Masteries were originally intended to be expansion-specific and not used anywhere else, but that may have changed after they opened gliding and certainly after mounts as they’d be too useful. Imagine what the game would be like for new players in the future if you had to grind through each expansion to obtain their masteries. GW2 will quickly become the opposite of what it wanted to be and far worse of an experience than traditional MMOs, since here you’re required to do achievements. This can be somewhat easily solved however by simply removing the mastery points, which should have just been experience bonuses, and once again allowing you to level however and wherever you wanted to. This time however, only gliding is potentially needed and it could easily be reintroduced through the griffon.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t know…that’s kind of like telling players who purchase HoT to level up in those maps. It’s a bit difficult, to say the least.

If Mastery Point acquisition is expansion-specific, why would players need to complete previous expansion Masteries first (with the exception of Gliding to use in the Core game, which isn’t required)?