Move speed passive for ALL! Why not?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Isairyu.5106

Isairyu.5106

Q:

I still cant understand, why not all professions have such passive… At least in PvE?

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Because they want us Guardians to have to run a Staff in WvW to keep up with the zerg.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Because I just bought Travelers runes for my Mesmer and Guardian because I was so tired of them crawling across the landscape.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

because if everyone had a passive speed boost then everyone would be running the same speed and some would want to run faster than others and we’d be asking for more speed. Rinse. repeat.

Just remove combat speed and I’d be happy. >.<

Isairyu.5106

I can imagine some reasons for PvP and WvW, but can’t find any for PvE =_=

Posted by: zMajc.4659

zMajc.4659

They should really make a universally available passive run speed for all classes. Playing a guardian and a mesmer is sometimes a real pain the kitten.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Because they want us Guardians to have to run a Staff in WvW to keep up with the zerg.

If you actually stick with the zerg you will have perma-speed buff pretty much, I know my Mesmer is always speed buffed as long as I stick in the main zerg. If you straggle behind that’s on you.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Tru Reptile.6058

Tru Reptile.6058

I think it would’ve been better if sprinting and even blocking were basic actions and not tied to skills.

Posted by: Ehrotic Avenger.7426

Ehrotic Avenger.7426

Is a class without a passive move steed boost truly playable?!! We live in the age of speed xD

An Appeal for Better Design Policies: http://goo.gl/v19OAc

Isairyu.5106

Just unfair and unlogical.

Posted by: Erus Keb.8379

Erus Keb.8379

Is a class without a passive move steed boost truly playable?!! We live in the age of speed xD

I believe they are playable. Mesmer with 100% map completion (mostly solo) and prior to the WXP “merge” over 120 ranks. 1st character too. Good thing it was 1st as while they are playable, it’s hard to take when switching from say thief to Mesmer.

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

If you actually stick with the zerg you will have perma-speed buff pretty much, I know my Mesmer is always speed buffed as long as I stick in the main zerg. If you straggle behind that’s on you.

Who do you think you have to thank for that?

Attachments:

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Just play warrior you can run forever

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

When everyone runs fast, no one runs fast.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

They should really make a universally available passive run speed for all classes. Playing a guardian and a mesmer is sometimes a real pain the kitten.

or just make 1 or 2 classes to having this as passive! >_>

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Isairyu.5106

I have 5 professions, one is warrior btw. (and, why i should always remake my traits, or equip horn? And what about others, even without this option?)

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I have 5 professions, one is warrior btw. (and, why i should always remake my traits, or equip horn? And what about others, even without this option?)

I love my mesmer but I don’t play her since she moves at a snails pace I feel your pain.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Well obviously lol. My point still stands about sticking with the zerg if you have no passive speed buff though.

Mesmer has it worse than anyone. At least Guardian can pretty much perma-speed buff. Mesmer can what, Blink and maybe do the staff #2 trick? It’s terrible if you aren’t near someone that can aoe speed buff.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Then why not remove all passive speed boosts (25% ones, not swiftness)? That way no one runs fast as well. All classes should have a passive movement skill or trait.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

1.Balance.
2.You have the option of traveler runes.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Morsus.5106

That would be great. Maybe then I wouldn’t have to build my Guardian specifically to keep up with the WvW zerg.

Morsus.5106

And you know who is giving you your perma swiftness? Guardians. Me and my fellow Guardians need to run a staff to help keep the Zerg together, otherwise all the classes with 25% speed buffs just run right ahead and the zerg splits in two.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

It is a serious problem. Even for Engineers, we have a 25 movement speed in traits, I’ve yet to get the thing to work the entire time I’ve played. I’ve resolved to using traveler runes but there are much better runes for certain situations and it’s sad that we have to choose between mobility and functionality in a game that’s supposed to be about diversity.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: bigmonto.4215

bigmonto.4215

There is a 25% percent speed boost available to everyone. Some get it from traits, some from utilities others from runes. This is call a trade-off.

Astral Projections.7320

There is a 25% percent speed boost available to everyone. Some get it from traits, some from utilities others from runes. This is call a trade-off.

True.

Some get speed by tying up a utility slot instead of using another one.
Some get speed by using a specific weapon instead of using another one.
Some get speed by investing into a trait line to get this instead of using another one.
Some get speed by spending over 40 gold.

Somehow when ANet talked about build diversity, this wasn’t one of the ones I though of.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

True.

Some get speed by investing into a trait line to get this instead of using another one.

Somehow when ANet talked about build diversity, this wasn’t one of the ones I though of.

Word.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: bigmonto.4215

bigmonto.4215

True.

What is build diversity then in your opinion? It should not be so that you can get everything you want, its about making the best trade-offs that suits your play-style while not being over powered.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I resorted to buying a set of speed runes and tossing them in a PVT set on my mesmer, just for running. Between staff and retreat my guard is “good enough” such that I don’t want a third set of gear sitting in my inventory.

What does kinda annoy me is that there is a trait for runspeed on Mesmer… but it is based on having illusions… which means you’d be in combat… and not being very quick anyways. Ugh.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Or… you could just delete swiftness and you could, you know, make movement speed 25% increase standard, without needing a trait, a rune or a passive skill.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Or… you could just delete swiftness and you could, you know, make movement speed 25% increase standard, without needing a trait, a rune or a passive skill.

And they could get rid of all professions except warrior. Removing these things that create differences just take the flavor out of the game.

Posted by: Erus Keb.8379

Erus Keb.8379

It is a serious problem. Even for Engineers, we have a 25 movement speed in traits, I’ve yet to get the thing to work the entire time I’ve played. I’ve resolved to using traveler runes but there are much better runes for certain situations and it’s sad that we have to choose between mobility and functionality in a game that’s supposed to be about diversity.

Power shoes? It appears to work fine on my Engineer. At some point it only worked while in combat but that was updated some months ago.

Edit: Seems only fair to do the same for the Mesmer trait

(edited by Erus Keb.8379)

Astral Projections.7320

True.

What is build diversity then in your opinion? It should not be so that you can get everything you want, its about making the best trade-offs that suits your play-style while not being over powered.

Because it doesn’t feel like I’m choosing between a number of equally important choices but selecting for one that gives me a disproportionate edge. With speed you can out maneuver slower players and avoid attacks without dodging. Without speed it’s harder to do so in a fight a speeded player. With speed, maps are easier to cover. Norns are less frustrating to play. There is an extra ease with jumping puzzles.

So many people choose speed that it lowers build diversity within each profession. They tie up a utility slot instead of choosing something more interesting. They consistently play one weapon instead of switching around among many. They trait and stay with that trait line instead of experimenting with other traits.

When so many of each profession uses the same utility skill, weapon, rune or trait then it’s a loss of diversity. If ANet gave each profession an innate 25% speed boost then all that would be freed up to try different things.

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

It’s not real build diversity when your weighing convenience vs combat effectiveness. As we can see 99% in PvE choose convenience and learn to live with 1 less u-skill or trait.

Out of combat speed should be normalized across all professions. The current speed is just too sluggish.

I propose once the player leaves combat, he gains speed gradually over 15 seconds, up to +25% movement speed. This is intrinsic to all characters of any profession.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Well obviously lol. My point still stands about sticking with the zerg if you have no passive speed buff though.

Mesmer has it worse than anyone. At least Guardian can pretty much perma-speed buff. Mesmer can what, Blink and maybe do the staff #2 trick? It’s terrible if you aren’t near someone that can aoe speed buff.

Centaur runes + mirror = 83% swiftness uptime on mesmer. They’re also power based, and extend swfitness buffs you get from others as well.

Using this build you don’t need to run with focus.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Like…. OMG…. Let’s just make every class/profession the same already. /sarcasm

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Isairyu.5106

Like…. OMG…. Let’s just make every class/profession the same already. /sarcasm

The key is “Everyone can run fast”. But someone can only turn on passive, and others need to do some perversions with traits, equip, etc

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

In combat move speed reduction needs to go. I have no idea why we even have it.
Might it be because projectile weapons would never hit??

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

Lol. Guardians’ staves are responsible for EVERYONES’ swiftness. O.o One of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard. You realize that EVERY other profession has at leat twice the amount of swiftness that guardians or mesmers have right? Four of the other 6 have easy access to permaswift, and thief blows everyone out of the water with Fleet Shadow. LoL Guardian staves. Pfffft.

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

Lol. Guardians’ staves are responsible for EVERYONES’ swiftness. O.o One of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard. You realize that EVERY other profession has at leat twice the amount of swiftness that guardians or mesmers have right? Four of the other 6 have easy access to permaswift, and thief blows everyone out of the water with Fleet Shadow. LoL Guardian staves. Pfffft.

They changed symbol of swiftness to stack with each other. That’s 4 seconds of swiftness x 4 ticks x 5 people = 80 seconds of group swiftness. So 10 guardians dropping 10 symbols on the zerg adds 800 seconds of swiftness spread over 50 people. The cooldown is short and can be reduced by 20%, and boon duration increases the duration of the swiftness.

Most zergs don’t even bother blasting statics anymore, they just rely on guardian’s staff and warrior’s warhorn.

Tman.6349

No they don’t and that math ‘sure does look well thought out’ but we both know it’s contrived and meaningless. A for effort though.

No group relies an guardians for swiftness. They already have plenty of their own, for starters, and that would be like relying on the moon to light up the afternoon sky. The sun is already out so the moon doesn’t matter, and, even if it wasn’t, the moon is an unreliable light source. Much like guardians and their staves. “OK! Everyone single-file across this open plain so the guardians can stack their swiftness!” Lol you’ve got to be joking. The only people relying on guardian staff to run is other slow guardians and mesmers.

(edited by Tman.6349)

Blix.8021

No they don’t and that math ‘sure does look well thought out’ but we both know it’s contrived and meaningless. A for effort though.

No tier 1 zerg blasts statics anymore, unless maybe they are running with a really small group.

Tman.6349

I never said anything about ‘blasting statics’ did I? That’s more rediculous than guardians trying to take credit for other professions moving quickly. Just give it up. It’s OK. Just say, " Yes! I’m a guardian and I’m slow. Yes, it sucks, but I like playing guardian and I’m very dynamic in group fights but I have to bring this staff to keep up with everyone sometimes." Nobody is gonna make fun of you or call you names b/c they already know what the deal is and we’re thankful to have you by our side. But plz don’t say stupid things like guardians are responsible for groups moving quickly. Thief will leave everyone in the dust so fast it’s ridiculous. Engi, Warrior, Ranger, and Ele can all maintain swiftness on their own VERY easily. They also stack it on each other. That leaves Necro which still does OK but can fall behind w/o certain setups, and then guardians and mesmers with their 2-3 short applications of swiftness. Do you even play other professions or understand how crazy it sounds for a guardian trying to take credit for anyone’s movement speed other than their own?

Tman.6349

This thread is about passive speed buffs anyway. I’m done before we derail it any further.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

… Every class should have a +25% passive speed boost attainable through trait, utility, or weapon slot. It’s most useful for world exploration, not combat. And when it comes to exploring the world, everyone’s pretty much equal – just blob with a camera flying around behind it.

.. okay, so Warrior S2 makes them stand out, as is the Mesmer portal.

Blix.8021

I never said anything about ‘blasting statics’ did I? That’s more rediculous than guardians trying to take credit for other professions moving quickly. Just give it up. It’s OK. Just say, " Yes! I’m a guardian and I’m slow. Yes, it sucks, but I like playing guardian and I’m very dynamic in group fights but I have to bring this staff to keep up with everyone sometimes." Nobody is gonna make fun of you or call you names b/c they already know what the deal is and we’re thankful to have you by our side. But plz don’t say stupid things like guardians are responsible for groups moving quickly. Thief will leave everyone in the dust so fast it’s ridiculous. Engi, Warrior, Ranger, and Ele can all maintain swiftness on their own VERY easily. They also stack it on each other. That leaves Necro which still does OK but can fall behind w/o certain setups, and then guardians and mesmers with their 2-3 short applications of swiftness. Do you even play other professions or understand how crazy it sounds for a guardian trying to take credit for anyone’s movement speed other than their own?

Is English not your native language? You said that guardians being responsible for group swiftness is “One of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard.” I’m telling you its not stupid and large zergs use guardians in conjunction with other classes for group swiftness buffing.

I don’t even understand how that’s a debatable point.

Tman.6349

Why are you asking about my native language other than some sort of condencension? I was never talking to you in the first place. You’re the one who put yourself into what I was saying. I was referring to other previously posted statements that are ridiculous. Groups don’t have guardians to be thankful for moving around with swiftness. I don’t care about T1 or how many times you make that bogus claim. It’s just not true. That would be like a thief telling a mesmer and a guardian, “it’s a good thing I was here with Smoke Screen so you guys didn’t get taken out by those projectiles!” Sounds silly huh? So people relying on guardian swiftness other than, maybe, necros, mesmers, and other guardians.

Blix.8021

Well, it’s clear you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.

Tman.6349

Let me get a show of hands from any professions other than guardian, mesmer, and maybe necro, that wouldn’t be able to get around on the battlefield without guardians spamming symbols of swiftness.

Tman.6349

That would be great. Maybe then I wouldn’t have to build my Guardian specifically to keep up with the WvW zerg.

Here we go…