Must haves on the GW2 store?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vicus.5841

Vicus.5841

I didn’t see a section in the forums for the store so hope its ok to post here. I am returning to the game with my wife because of the upcoming expansion (and raids). We are buying the 99$ version of HoT for the 4k gems discount. What is the best option to use those gems on the store? I am assuming inventory space is huge but anything that I should know that maybe I wouldnt because havent played in awhile. We don’t pvp much and mostly PVE.

Thanks

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

Bank tab if you fill up bank fast. Not bag slot unless you are sure it is on character you want to play most. Copper machine if you salvage many time low value loot. Unlimited gather tool if you like to gather. Some outfit if you like look because can use on all character. Maybe also save some gem to see what arena net put in store when HoT is release.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

everyone pretty much agrees on the main items. Copper fed. Set of harvesting tools. Bank tab. In addition if you have the gems for it after those, looking into a permanent Airship or Royal Terrace pass which gives you easy, within a couple of feet, access to a variety of services and a portal within the site to all the major cities.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: dsslive.8473

dsslive.8473

Depending on when you stopped playing, you might be interesting in the Living story season 2 pack. It unlocks all story instances of the second season and their respective rewards/achievements.

If you already have that though, i’d say bank tabs (one can never have enough space) or some of the many awesome looking armor pieces and outfits , one can never have enough shiny cool stuff.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Well, if you like having a lot of alt characters, character slots are handy, obviously. It’s relatively cheap to outfit a new character with 18 Slot bags, too, which gives you a ton of storage space spread across characters, even without buying extra bank slots or bag slots.

Outfits / armor skins are purely cosmetic, of course, so their value depends on how much you like what you see. If you’re just getting back into it, and your wife is new to it, however, you might want to hold off and see what basic armor sets you like. No sense plopping down money on an outfit if you end up wearing normal armor all the time.

Infinite Mining/Harvesting/Logging tools seem to be pretty popular, although I’ve never seen much appeal in them. (Since you could just buy the materials you need directly, it seems like a lot of work before you’d ever make your money back harvesting.)

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

One or more Bank Tabs
Character slots
Watchwork Mining Pick (and maybe an unlimited axe and sickle, too)
Living World Season 2 (if you don’t already have the episodes unlocked)
A makeover kit or two
Copper Fed Salvage-O-Matic (not necessary at all but a nice convenience item)

Bag slots, in my opinion, aren’t really worth the cost since they only go on one character. Outfits and skins are cool but not necessary; same with Finishers and mini pets. The airship/royal terrace passes and home portal stone aren’t worth the cost at all, for me personally, but YMMV.

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Bank slots/couple of bag slots for main farmer. Copper fed is nice. If you plan on only playing one character then salvage tools are ok, but all salvage tools (other than the watchwork mining pick) do are save you karma since you can buy all the tools with karma. You would have to gather a lot with the watchwork mining pick to make back the cost as well.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

Bank tabs
Character slots
Bag slots
Copper salvage o matic

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Have to agree with most stuff said already.

Just 1 note, Bank Tabs are not as cost efficient as getting a new character slot.

It’s 600 gems for 30 slots per Bank Tab Expansion (20 gems per slot)

vs

800 gems for 1 character slot plus 20 slot backpack and 4 bag slots (even with 15 slot bags, 20 slot Halloween bags cost about 4 gold) you are looking at a minimum of 80 to 100 slots of bag space. (10 gems or 8 gems per slot) On top of having an aditional character slot.

Downside is the inconveniance and more management required.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

bank tabs
bank material expansion
copper fed salvage o matic
watchwork mining pick, as one of only two ways in the game to get sprockets it’s the only permenant collecting tool that I’d rate as really valuable in the long run.

other than those, I’d say it’s all pretty much just personal preference. Personally, I wouldn’t waste gems on character storage tabs though, much cheaper to just buy another character slot and use them as a mule.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: Stilgar.6437

Stilgar.6437

1. copper fed – greatest thing ever. i dont do anything on characters that dont have this yet (at most park on gathering node or something).
2. 1-2 bag slots
3. Buy LS season 2
4. 1-2 bank slots (after 1-3 slots you should start considering character slots, bank is lot more convenient but mules hold more)
5. Couple finishers if you get into pvp
6. Couple skins you like the most
7. Material expansion to 500 (some people argue against this but i find it great, totally worth it)

Thats the order i would do it in if i started a new account.

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

In my opinion:

1. Living World Season 2 (if you don’t already have the episodes unlocked)
2. Copper Fed Salvage-O-Matic
3. Storage expansion (for materials)
3. Bank tab expansion
4. Watchwork Mining Pick
5. Character slots

For more ideas, or simply to get confirmation about the best choices, check here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/Must-Have-Gem-Store-Purchases

(edited by Silvatar.5379)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Copper Fed Salvage-O-Matic, Watchwork Mining Pick, and 1-2 bank tabs would be my choices.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

1. Copper-fed Salvage-o-matic
  2. Watchwork Mining Pick (for the sprockets it produces)

Conditionals:

• The Other tools
    An additional infinite harvesting and logging tool just to remove the need to pick up any tools whatsoever. Harvesting/Logging tools offer no additional items upon use, but it’s nice to have a complete set of infinite tools.
  • Storage Space
    Based on the cost for purchase and the amount of storage slots the purchase provides, a character slot unlocks more storage slots if you use the character as a storage mule outfitted with large bags versus getting a single bank tab expansion.
    -
    I personally recommend character slots over bank tabs, but I do not mind the time it takes having to switch to said mule to get the item instead of it sitting in my bank.
    -
    If you want the items available directly from the bank and do not want to deal with remembering which mule is holding onto what items and then having to retrieve said item from a mule when you want it, go with a bank expansion.
    -
    I also recommend a personal storage guild for storing non-account bound materials (and items) instead of getting the collection expanders. The expanders only increase the collections stacks by 250 with each purchase, whereas an entire guild vault (and deep storage if you train it up) can hold many stacks of items. It is especially useful if you have many stacks of the same material, which the collection tab can only be increased to hold a max of a few additional stacks of that single item. You can also be in 5 guilds at one time. If you are not in a guild that requires 100% representation, having several personal guilds is a great way to store non-account bound materials and items. There is a down side that any materials and items in a personal guild vault will not be replaced if you were to ever be hacked, only your personal account items would be. You must also be careful not to accidentally leave your personal guild with items in the vault as those items are destroyed along with the guild if you leave it. However, if you and your wife both join the guild, this would protect you if one of you accidentally clicks to leave the guild as the guild will remain and the one that accidentally left can be invited back in again.
  • Permanent Captain’s Airship Pass
    There are many people in the cities that insist on doing anything and everything possible to annoy others, so that was my primary reason for getting this pass as it takes you to a much quieter area to interact with the TP/Bank and other services. There are still people that come on there and insist on their antics to annoy, but not nearly as many. A bonus is that all of the services are right next to each other, so no need to run for a while to get to the next service you need to use, or to even step foot in LA again due to there being a mystic forge as well as access to all racial cities on the airship.
    -
    I recommend the Captain’s Airship over the Queen’s Royal Terrace as people who do not have access to the Airship cannot stand outside of it and annoy those that are inside due to flying up in the air. In the Queen’s Terrace, there is only a short wall separating you from the annoyers outside of it. You cannot escape them. I would often see them hanging around right outside of the QT with their wintersday bells, musical instruments, and other items of noise-making annoyance that they spam non-stop to annoy those that are inside of the restricted area. On the Airship, if you do not have the pass, you cannot interact with anyone that is on-board in any fashion.
| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I disagree with the copperfed TBH, but that’s only because I have a massive bag of forge stones to make mystic salvage kits with.

Simply put, you get more valuable stuff with the mystic kits, but the copper kit is okay if you just want basic mats.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Cyninja.2954

I disagree with the copperfed TBH, but that’s only because I have a massive bag of forge stones to make mystic salvage kits with.

Simply put, you get more valuable stuff with the mystic kits, but the copper kit is okay if you just want basic mats.

Using the mystic kit on anything but rares and above is a huge waste of ressources. The mystic kit uses are not “free”. Even without calculating the forge stones it comes down to about 10.5 copper per use (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Salvage_kit).

It’s very doubtful that the 15% chance or rare materials in any way covers this cost (again, that is without even calculating for used gems for Forge Stones). You are essentially spending more copper per salvage than needed, and even with a slight profit (which as far as I remember is not the case), you are spending potential future Forge Stone costs for insignificant gains now.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Using the mystic kit on anything but rares and above is a huge waste of ressources. The mystic kit uses are not “free”. Even without calculating the forge stones it comes down to about 10.5 copper per use (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Salvage_kit).

It’s very doubtful that the 15% chance or rare materials in any way covers this cost (again, that is without even calculating for used gems for Forge Stones). You are essentially spending more copper per salvage than needed, and even with a slight profit (which as far as I remember is not the case), you are spending potential future Forge Stone costs for insignificant gains now.

I tend to pull a lot of t5/t6 mats with them off of greens/blues shrug

I haven’t ever bought forge stones though, I have a massive bag of them from the old system that don’t get used for anything else.

Not saying it is technically more cash efficient as much as it is an easily managable cost for the output. It’s a higher bet for the gambling game that is salvaging, and if you’re still working on 300% MF and salvaging all the greens and blues you pick up the 15% tends to add up by sheer volume, not to mention the massive dump of runes/sigils that pay out pretty decently in comparison to basic kit rates.

Basically, I go “if I’m gonna be salvaging in stead of selling or vendoring, let’s be salvaging as well as possible!”

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Cyninja.2954

I tend to pull a lot of t5/t6 mats with them off of greens/blues shrug

I haven’t ever bought forge stones though, I have a massive bag of them from the old system that don’t get used for anything else.

Not saying it is technically more cash efficient as much as it is an easily managable cost for the output. It’s a higher bet for the gambling game that is salvaging, and if you’re still working on 300% MF and salvaging all the greens and blues you pick up the 15% tends to add up by sheer volume.

Basically, I go “if I’m gonna be salvaging in stead of selling or vendoring, let’s be salvaging as well as possible!”

I was just mentioning this because this point has been coming up in the past a lot. I could dig through old posts and look for places where peopel tested the actual advantage on blues and greens, but to be honest, I’m just to lazy to do so. Hence why I said “as far as I remember”. You are ofcorse absolutely free to salvage anyway you want and the notion of optimizing the result is just as valid as minimizing the cost.

The general consensus on both Salvage-O-Matics is:“They are not worth it gold wise.”

The copper one just gives a huge quality of life bonus on top of being cheaper than basic salvage kits (3c vs 3.6c per use). That’s why many people recommend it. Realistically you are never going to get a return on the gold invested.

The silver one is not considered since it’s cost per use is so much higher than the mystic salvage kits (without forge stones factored in) and the amount you get to use it is also way lower than the copper one (this one is definately not worth salvaging blues/greens with). So the conveniance benefit is way lower than the copper one.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I have a lot also and have put the extras aside. You never know when ANet might decide to make them gem store purchase only and then you’ll have of choice of buying them or doing without once you run out.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

All the practical advice above is great, and likely highest priority. But be advised that a number of things are leaving the gem store on Tuesday so if any of them appear to be a must-have to you, tomorrow evening is sort of the deadline. They are all purely cosmetic, a number of armor skins, outfits, and finishers, and the skins/outfits will probably come back some time in the next year. The finishers will not be gem purchasable in the future; they may be attainable in game.

Again, far from vital to playing the game. Storage space trumps all; everyone’s advice to you is aimed at getting you more space and more efficiency. Yet part of this game is about the looks, so take a peek at the Promotions tab to see what’s leaving and then go to the Style tab to see it (or the Wardrobe tab of your bank). You can preview the finishers in your hero panel finishers tab.

Posted by: Snarftastic.6709

Snarftastic.6709

I just HAD to get the Llama Finisher.

It’s too magnificent.