My Thoughts on Halloween 2014

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Overall, I’m disappointed.

Let me first say that Halloween has always been my favorite GW holiday since I first experienced it in 2006. So naturally, I have high expectations for my enjoyment of the holiday. I find that there are three major issues presented with this update. There is a fourth, but it is not tied to Halloween itself.

Issue 1: Repeating Content
Before I get into the crux of this issue, let me just say that I have no issue with repeating content. The fact that 2013 content was repeated without change beyond rewards is not the issue here, not directly at least. I am well used to Halloween not getting much content. In GW1, Wintersday, Canthan New Year, and Dragon Festival all were introduced with multiple quests or quest chains as well as at least one PvP format; Halloween was just decorations and collectors when introduced in 2005. In 2006, it was the same old but added to Kamadan; no quests nor PvP. 2007 saw Costume Brawl added to Halloween, with 2008 only seeing new builds in CB; it was not until 2009 that Halloween got quests, which after a month delay, resulted in Dhuum’s fight being added to the Underworld. Canthan New Years, however, got no change since its introduction; and Dragon Festival’s only change was turning actual invasions into acted invasions (in other words, only model and dialogue changes).

So I – just like all other veteran GW1 players – are well used to not getting new Holiday content, but seeing the same old added. As such, seeing repeated content is not an issue. In fact, this was entirely what GW1 holidays was: repeated content, sometimes with new additions (and often not).

So where is the issue with GW2’s Halloween of 2014? The fact that it is a complete repeat of 2013. Nothing from 2012 returned this year – despite how much fun Ascent into Madness was, despite how much people enjoyed the scavenger hunts for the Mad Memoirs. Not even the open world meta events from Queensdale, Kessex Hills, and Gendarran Fields.

Though I dislike it, I can understand no Reaper’s Rumble.

TL;DR
If you’re going to bring back content. Bring back all content.

In 2015, I expect to see what we have this year, as well as the three metas, Ascent into Madness, Reaper’s Rumble, and the Mad Memoirs scavenger hunt. Hopefully with a continuation to the story as well.

Issue 2: Repeating Festival Hat and Mad King’s Says
Back in GW1, the most exciting part of any holiday for me and many of my friends has been the finales. They were fun and games that happened once a year. Each holiday’s finale was different. Some were afk’able for more rewards, which many of us – myself included – did.

For Halloween, that finale is Thorn’s visit to the mortal world, his jokes, and his games of Mad King Says.

But this year, there is no finale. Thorn is already doing his typical finale antics from day 1. And will continue until the final day no doubt. Perhaps ArenaNet’s going to surprise us with a brand new finale that differs from 2012 and 2013. Currently, though, I am doubtful. I would love to be proved wrong though.

Wintersday suffers a similar issue in GW2; there is no finale, easily the best part of GW holiday history.

Seems I’ll be spending my finales in the past, if in Tyria at all.

But this is not the only issue of this year’s “finale”. The main issue I hold here is the reward.

Partaking in the finale would always, since the dusk of Halloween 2005, reward a year-unique hat reward. This continued into GW2 Halloween, even, by giving us a Witch’s/Wizard’kitten in 2012, and a Mask of the Night in 2013.

And in 2014? We get… a Mask of the Night.

Even with the lack of content for all holidays, there has always been a new prize for the finale. With Canthan New Year, it’s a new miniature. With the other holidays, it’s a hat. Even Dragon Bash had this with the Horns of the Dragon (which have become laurel items, but I digress there).

There is really no excuse for a repeat of last year’kitten, without giving a new one. Maybe, again, I’ll be surprised and ArenaNet has a new form of a finale planned this year. But if not, it’s downright ridiculous that we get two gemstore outfits, but they couldn’t design a single helm. Even if they just took the design of a GW1 helm and remade it for GW2, it would be far superior to nothing new.

If they really couldn’t get a new hat, the least they could have done was reward us Mad Memoirs (either or both editions), or the Witch’s/Wizard’kitten from 2012 as well as Mask of the Night. For those who didn’t save them up to the wardrobe’s existence.

TL;DR
The least you can do is give us a new helm and a proper finale, can’t you?

Continues in next post

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Konig Des Todes.2086

Issue 3: Achievements
Achievements are a double-edged sword. Though they direct players to content, they are a once-then-done kind of checklist, regardless of what the achievement is. You get the achievement, and you have a reduced drive to do content.

I played for roughly 2 hours today, and I am already 10/12. 5 dailies, 5 from the Halloween category. I stopped so that I would still feel like I have something to do later this week and next.

The ease of completing achievements is not the only issue, but similar to issue 1 (and 2, really), it’s just a repeat of 2013 achievements. Even if you repeat the content, surely you don’t need to duplicate the achievements?

Perhaps something more entertaining would be to bring the previous years’ achievements out of Historical and make them obtainable again, and then slap on brand new achievements that make players go explore the things that were neglected previous years (or new content, should such come by).

Or better yet, set up the Holiday achievements – old and new – to be akin to the dailies and monthlies. They reset after the holiday’s over, and of course locked until it begins again. Again, many solutions than simple duplication.

TL;DR
Rehashing even the achievements completely (sans rewards) is not really that enjoyable. Especially when they can be done in 3 hours but the content’s to entertain players for 2 weeks.

TL;DR of the Three Problems
This Holiday is nothing but an entire rehash of 2013, with a few extra items to throw players off and think it’s new stuff. It isn’t. And while a rehash in of itself is not bad, selective rehashing without new content is.

2013 was passable for removing some of the best stuff because there was new things added to replace them, even if they didn’t meet player expectations. But now nothing’s new, and yet we can’t have the stuff we really wanted: the things that were only in 2012’s Halloween.

Again, I’ll just state that I don’t mind a holiday that “has no new content”. But the unnecessary selective nature of “only old content” is not fun in the least.

Next time you have no new content to bring to Halloween, ensure that all content from the past years is presented. That’s all I ask.

Side Problem: Removal of RNG weapon skins
I mentioned at the beginning that there is a fourth issue with this update not tied to Halloween. To quote the update notes:

“There are only four weeks left to use tickets for Lovestruck, Dragon’s Jade, Aetherblade, Fused, and Dreamthistle weapon sets. After November 18, these sets will no longer be available for purchase with Black Lion Claim Tickets this year.”

My initial reaction was this:

Has ArenaNet learned NOTHING from the hundreds of complaints about removing content over the past two years?

I think I know the reason: that Black Lion merchant’s running out of tab space, and they want to keep pumping out new BLC weapon skins. But this does not require a removal of the skins. Just like Sclerite.

Rather than removal, it would be better to simply place them elsewhere. Perhaps a merge tabs together for more room, or a second NPC – one being 12 or so older weapon skin sets.

Solutions other than removal is not hard to think of, if I could think of those within 30 seconds (I did not even think of such when I began writing the section).

TL;DR
Don’t remove stuff. If space is an issue, find a different way to keep it in-game.

A Good Light in This
While I point out what I find to be three major issues, I want to go out to say that our nameless vendor is a great addition to the holiday. It offers an alternative means of obtaining the Miniatures Bloody Prince Thorn and Carlotta, while giving the first ever obtained in-game outfit.

It is, particularly, that latter bit which pleases me so much. Even if the outfit was a reskin of the Witch’s Outfit – as I heard, done because of China and the original Witch’s Outfit having bones which is a no-no in China – it is a lovely improvement to having only outfits seen in the gemstore. I hope this trend continues, even if it’s rarely or only during holidays.

TL;DR
Please more new outfits/armors obtained from game, not gemstore. Even if sparse in existence.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Welcometotheden.8547

Welcometotheden.8547

Our guild took a month off for the lull between the updates, with the expectation that the Halloween event would be something noteworthy to come back to before the next LS update. We’ve been advocates of the LS update system and tempered the kittening that runs rampant on the forums, but after logging in today and seeing the exact same event as last year, we were all left scratching our heads and wondering WTF?

So, the LS update in 2 weeks…is this going to be a few hour run through for some achievements and we call it good until a revisit to the 2013 Xmas event? We really trying to maintain interest here, but we’ve (our guild) all ran everything we could do other than grind achievements, skins and WvW/PvP. I really hate sounding like the kittening I’ve read so much on over the last several months, but those folks seem to have a point…

Do we just log in every couple of months for a LS update and call it good? If so, why bother buying anything on the Gem store? We’re not going to be online enough for it to mean anything.

~ The Cult of the Six Symbols ~

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

Repeating holiday events is fine, especially considering that they’re way and much better in GW2 than such events in any other MMO. However, why we see those threads poping up and why many ppl in general feel meh about it and feel like complaining is, i believe, because of suffocating LACK of satisfying new content in GW2 over the past ~year and a half. People been waiting for the expansion and new about it for a veeeeeeeeery long time and nothing’s been given to them, disappointment and frustration stacks up, even the smallest things start to kitten them off. And all this, while AN repeatedly on several occasions showed lack of respect for parts of it’s playerbase. Unwanted changes, ignoring for a long time of the various issues, general lack of communication untill recently, especially meaningful communication and not just damage control etc. So, no wonder. xP

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

This was my first year seeing the Halloween event and i love it, BUT the 2012 Halloween weapon skin lottery is really killing it for me, since i’ve always wanted a few of those skins and now it feels more a mockery or trick to get me to buy gems for the wrappers so i can up my chances. To that end, i’m very close to quitting this game entirely. I can’t delve into that more without inviting the banhammer, so i’ll leave at that.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

I am with you König, it is just… disapointing.
I hope there is some official statement that goes a bit deeper. I mean, you ar enot the only one hoping for more.
If they want to keep the players happy, they have to do something.

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

I’m happy they are putting more effort into the LS Season 2 content but seeing them put Halloween and Wintersday off to the side it’s a bit of a let down.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

This was my first year seeing the Halloween event and i love it, BUT the 2012 Halloween weapon skin lottery is really killing it for me, since i’ve always wanted a few of those skins and now it feels more a mockery or trick to get me to buy gems for the wrappers so i can up my chances. To that end, i’m very close to quitting this game entirely. I can’t delve into that more without inviting the banhammer, so i’ll leave at that.

You’re not alone in considering the quit route. As soon as Halloween passes and takes the clock tower and inquisition with it, I am gone and heading to TSW. I hear it’s Halloween event is pretty nice.

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

Well, if it isn’t the intrepid investigator from Dragon Bakitten

hat’s the first NPC line that I heard after patching and logging back in. Followed by the Bloody Prince acting like he’s just been released for the first time. I can’t really think of a more disappointing way to start the event. At the very least Anet could have adjusted some NPC voice lines, so that it doesn’t look like we’ve come right out of Dragon Bash (well over a year ago now) and releasing the BP for the first time.

I fully understand, and expect, for there to be a lot of rehashed content for every festival. However this isn’t even rehashed content… besides the decorations in the new (and still) destroyed LA, it appears like everything else is a literal copy-paste job, even ignoring dialog and such that specifically dates the events as happening in Halloween 2013.

That would be disappointing, but at least not insulting… except for the fact that the gemshop gets it’s updates. Apparently there’s “new content” for gambling addicts as well with some sort of lottery for a bunch of skins unavailable since the first GW2 Halloween apparently? The gemshop, LS and gambling opportunities get love from the devs, the rest of the game just has to make due with only getting love from the players it seems.

Has ArenaNet learned NOTHING from the hundreds of complaints about removing content over the past two years?

I think I know the reason: that Black Lion merchant’s running out of tab space, and they want to keep pumping out new BLC weapon skins. But this does not require a removal of the skins. Just like Sclerite.

Actually the reasoning is more likely that Anet is trying to appeal to impulse buyers. Impulse buyers ill see this removal of skins, and buy without thinking. This is just how the gemshop has operate much of the time, with little to no regard for actual players, but only really focusing on impulse buyers and problem gamblers.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

~Snip~

I mentioned at the beginning that there is a fourth issue with this update not tied to Halloween. To quote the update notes:

“There are only four weeks left to use tickets for Lovestruck, Dragon’s Jade, Aetherblade, Fused, and Dreamthistle weapon sets. After November 18, these sets will no longer be available for purchase with Black Lion Claim Tickets this year .”

~Snip~.

Usually, most of what you post is very good and well thought out, however, on this one issue I have a bone to pick. You apparently just decided to completely ignore the last two words of that announcement, this year, which unless I am mistaken, means they will return in a different year, be that 2015, 2016 or what ever. You seem to be under the impression that they are gone forever, never to be return. When in fact this is a temporary removal and not permanent.

Posted by: ShroomOneUp.6913

ShroomOneUp.6913

~Snip~

“There are only four weeks left to use tickets for Lovestruck, Dragon’s Jade, Aetherblade, Fused, and Dreamthistle weapon sets. After November 18, these sets will no longer be available for purchase with Black Lion Claim Tickets this year .”

~Snip~.

Usually, most of what you post is very good and well thought out, however, on this one issue I have a bone to pick. You apparently just decided to completely ignore the last two words of that announcement, this year, which unless I am mistaken, means they will return in a different year, be that 2015, 2016 or what ever. You seem to be under the impression that they are gone forever, never to be return. When in fact this is a temporary removal and not permanent.

sorry but jsut a “this year” won´t do anymore. with recent bulldungery from anet side, all players deserve an essay ON EVERY SINGLE CHANGE ANET WANTS TO MAKE BEFORE THEY UPLOAD THE PATCH.
and thats not exaturation, we rightfully deserver freakin information.

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

~Snip~

~Snip~.

I fully expect them to re-release the sets next year at twice the ticket cost and sell it as though they’re doing us a favor, tbh. But that’s just my conspiracy theory.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

I miss Reaper’s Rumble

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

~Snip~

~Snip~.

It really only says that ANet MIGHT bring them back, not that they WILL bring them back.

In that vein, I’m okay with removing the Lovestruck and Dragon Jade weapons, as we can reasonably assume that they will become available again next Valentine’s Day / Dragonbash. I’m not okay with removing the other skins.

Either way, I agree with Konig 100% that this is a poor solution, and that they should have gone with weapon boxes instead.

I was going to type out the rest of my own Halloween feedback, but Konig did it nicely, so I’m just gonna /sign this thread and be done with it.

Posted by: rgraze.5169

rgraze.5169

Well I have to say I do miss the finale, we would make sure to get the guild together and collect the various prizes hang out and have snack trays. Etc.. I miss the different hat that used to come each season. It was kinda of a bragging right to show off the previous years hats.

Konig Des Todes.2086

I did take note of that, but we have no indication of how they’ll return or when. For all we know, it’s like Season 1 becoming permanent content. “It’s on the table, but may not make it live for a very long time.”

And when they do return, for how long?

And even then, the two words don’t mandate that they’ll return. They can easily be “no longer available this year” [and from here on].

So like Pixelpumpkin says, all that says is that it might come back, not that it will. And if it does come back: when? for how long? for what cost?

Dear ANet writers,

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Actually, it doesn’t even say that they might come back, just that for the rest of this year they definitely won’t. It’s not the same.

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

You all knew Halloween events this year were going to be repetitive. The updated rewards are clearly too much RNG. I don’t blame the mass exodus of many people as there isn’t that much left to stick around for. The living story season 2 is so blah. I choose to make my own fun however. It is all about what you make out of the game I suppose.

Why does this “mass exodus” keep coming up? I have yet to see any noticeable lvl of players online drop

The “I’m quitting” or “I’m about to quit if” topics keep popping up going along the lines of “if Anet doesn’t quit what they are doing and add something new and big like an expansion pack soon or I’m quitting” yet those players still login.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

~Snip~

~Snip~.

The problem with what they did with these is is actually instead of creating a separate NPC. “Since it would be too confusing to new players.” They instead opt to create artificial scarcity. Which would be less problematic if the did not create permanent achievement category specifically for these things (to mock you). To add to that mockery there is still that “bug” that shows you have certain BLC weapons that you never received. These weapons are not earned entirely by skill anyways. In my opinion that should have never been done. Just like the NPE (new players are even more confused by it), and especially the revamped traits system. Which is still laughed at for being poorly implemented.

Don’t create rewards that are temporary when it’s the only thing that’s left for some people to go for in this game. Especially when it’s rewarded through a heavily influenced casino RNG system. Guess who is waving the proverbial "carrot on stick” as they hypocritically state, “they would never do that to their player base.” In a game where the risk vs. reward system is verily broken, so the best idea is to add more time gates, money sinks, and time sinks. Just like every other MMO on the market does instead of fixing the real issue. “Oh, but Guild Wars 2 is not like every other MMO out there it’s unique.” What a bunch of bullarchy.

On a side note they never really told us why they removed Reapers Rumble did they?

(edited by Sindex.9520)

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

You’re not alone in considering the quit route. As soon as Halloween passes and takes the clock tower and inquisition with it, I am gone and heading to TSW. I hear it’s Halloween event is pretty nice.

The Secret World is amazing. The developers actually care and interact with their community regularly. They have monthly Game Director newsletters that they deliver on so you can see where the game is going. None of this “It’s company policy to not tell you everything we aren’t working on” stuff. Their “gem store” doesn’t nickel and dime you to death.

Funcom’s The Secret World team went through severe downsizing shortly after the game launched, and they still manage to put out just as much content, if not more, than GW2. While I don’t think The Secret World’s first Halloween was better than Guild Wars 2’s first; I feel TSW has upped their quality where GW2’s has greatly diminished and continues to deteriorate.

Posted by: Factotum.2093

Factotum.2093

The Secret World is amazing. […] While I don’t think The Secret World’s first Halloween was better than Guild Wars 2’s first; I feel TSW has upped their quality where GW2’s has greatly diminished and continues to deteriorate.

For me, TSW was a huge disappointment. It’s a great idea, it has good writers and good voice acting, but it’s a single-player game sold as an MMO. It’s not as horrible as GW2’s “personal story”, but it lacks the things that make GW2 good (dynamic combat, a shared multiplayer world, etc.). Also, they clearly didn’t have enough content at launch so they padded everything with endless “kill 10 zombies” missions.

I do agree it has improved a bit since launch (it was hard not to), while GW2 seems to have lost any sense of direction. The fact that I’ve seen at least six different people described as “GW2 lead designer” is probably a hint – games designed by committee just get progressively watered down, or crack under the stress of being pulled in lots of different (and often contradictory) directions. The introduction of the ascended gear treadmill was a very obvious sign that whoever was responsible for the original design and for Arena Net’s “manifesto” is either no longer there or has been demoted to fetching coffee for the clueless new “lead designers”. WoW at least managed to keep its original designers (and some sense of direction and personality) for four years. GW2 went straight from beta to Cataclysm.

Anyway, regarding Halloween 2014, Konig pretty much covered it. This feels like a “relaunch” of the 2013 version (which was itself significantly worse than the 2012 version) with extra attempts to push people to the gem store. Not really surprising, considering the way things have been going.