My recent encounter with Support

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Aycee.9162

Aycee.9162

I’m not here to announce that I was banned, nor am I arguing with their decision (though I do disagree with it). I just want to tell a story.

So a little over a week ago, I tried logging in one night after getting home and I got a message that I was banned for scamming someone. I know that accidental bans happen, since it happened to me once before, so I immediately submitted a ticket. I received a reply saying that they were confident in their investigation and my account would remain terminated, the decision is final. A message I’m sure many of you have received word for word. I then submit another message saying that it had to be a mistake and got a reply that said pretty much the same thing.

The next morning I talk to my roommate and cousin, only to find out that my roommate scammed someone for a Dawn. But that dawn had been removed from his account, presumably by a staff member but that’s not confirmed.

After finding this out, I send a reply to my ticket explaining to them that it must have been a mix up since we share the same computer. My account terminated but his left perfectly fine? It must have been a mistake, and I was relieved to know that I was probably going to get my account back. But Supports reply shut out all hope, they stated once again that they were confident in their review and my account would remain locked. At this point I talked to my roommate and said he would have to submit a ticket himself explaining the situation.

He submitted a ticket and the reply was that my ticket would be dealt with from the support team alone. He then asked if I should include his ticket number in my ticket response, they closed his ticket without a response and have continued to close mine as well.

An even stranger twist to this story? He has another ticket submitted stating that the Dawn was stolen from him. Even stranger? Support has attempted to help him through this and has shown that they are thoroughly looking through his game logs to find how it went missing. They have restored his account twice now, breaking their own policy of once per account restorations.

In an attempt to pay me back, my roommate gave me the money to buy this account with. As well as donating a little in-game gold to help me get started again. The part that pains me the most are the things that I won’t be able to get back, the limited gem store skins and the link to my Guild Wars 1 Hall of Monuments.

The lesson of this story? I highly recommend you avoid anything that will end up putting you in contact with Support. I got lucky once with the first mistaken ban once they realized their mistake a month later, but this time it seems they are choosing to stick with their story.

End of venting wall of text.

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

You sure that your friend didn’t use your account as a proxy? I was about to contact support earlier this month, but after hearing that they can’t help anyways I didn’t bother. xD

Aycee.9162

You sure that your friend didn’t use your account as a proxy? I was about to contact support earlier this month, but after hearing that they can’t help anyways I didn’t bother. xD

I’m not 100% sure. But to the best of my knowledge he doesn’t know my account info or my email password, I also have email authorization on my account and mobile authorization for my email. He swears to me that the only account the Dawn touched was his, and I do believe him.

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

If you guys use the same computer, it’s entirely possible. Don’t let it get in between you two though. I don’t wanna start a brawl lol

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t think they ban accounts via IP. It doesn’t make sense. I don’t see how that can get confused.

Aycee.9162

If you guys use the same computer, it’s entirely possible. Don’t let it get in between you two though. I don’t wanna start a brawl lol

I’ve asked him when we talked, and his answer seemed legit. I don’t doubt him for a second, even so I wouldn’t fight anyone over a game or get in between our friendship.

But he will suffer for this in the funniest way I can think of, and it will go viral on youtube.

Aycee.9162

I don’t think they ban accounts via IP. It doesn’t make sense. I don’t see how that can get confused.

I have no idea how their bans work either, but it’s just my best guess as to how they could have mixed it up like that.

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

He scams people which means he has no morals yet you don’t doubt him for a second…. Funneh

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

My question to this whole thing is you let someone other than you use your account, that in itself is bannable in nearly every mmo, honestly account sharing is just asking to get banned read the ToS, you’ll see..

Posted by: Neve.7134

Neve.7134

He scam people and you trust him? ………… no words it’s obvious he discovered your password and account email and used your account to do that.

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

Support in this game is generally not helpful at all. They copy paste, copy paste, never really reading what you write.

Current experience with support:
Accidentally delete item – Support will not restore item. Ok, fair enough I suppose, although not helpful since they can. Error on my end though
Didn’t receive over 100 pvp reward chests, 20.000 rank points and glory in PvP – Anet doesn’t prioritize bug (which has been known since game release) and will not refund any of the losses.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

Posted by: Zoldyck.6241

Zoldyck.6241

He scam people and you trust him? ………… no words it’s obvious he discovered your password and account email and used your account to do that.

Pretty much this.^

I would say the story just doesn’t add up. The fact that he gave you money to “pay you back” a bit, it comes to my mind that he used your account, scammed someone then moved the Dawn to his account.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Support in this game is generally not helpful at all. They copy paste, copy paste, never really reading what you write.

They really sound, at least from someone who only had two minor encounters with them, as though they’re completely overtaxed and there’s not enough people helping out.

Of course, support in every game is a thankless job which crushes the souls of those foolish enough to sign up for it. Woe be to those who decide to be volunteer CS reps . . . for they are the ones who are ground under the wheel faster.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Treeline.3865

They really sound, at least from someone who only had two minor encounters with them, as though they’re completely overtaxed and there’s not enough people helping out.

To be fair, I can understand they have copy-pasted answers ready for them; They must receive many of the same bug reports every day. But when the customer clearly states that the copy-pasted answer does not even answer the questions in the ticket, yet to be greeted by another copy-paste that they’re sorry that there’s nothing more they can do.. That can kitten me off. With the missing PvP rewards, I found the thread about it after sending 4 mails back and forth. When I presented them with the thread about it was when they finally stopped the copy-paste answers and simply told me there was no ETA on a bugfix, + they “could” not refund the chests, glory or rank points. (The first was already an official answer in the chest, that there was no ETA). Gah.

Edit: To get back on topic, OP, you should really try posting in Account Issues, and see if someone will take up your case, if you’re certain you did not do anything. Furthermore, if they won’t clarify, ask them what you did wrong, since you sincerely want to know. Try asking for all the details. That might open things up.

(edited by Treeline.3865)

Tobias Trueflight.8350

To be fair, I can understand they have copy-pasted answers ready for them; They must receive many of the same bug reports every day. But when the customer clearly states that the copy-pasted answer does not even answer the questions in the ticket, yet to be greeted by another copy-paste that they’re sorry that there’s nothing more they can do..

Speaking from experience?

. . . that first-level support is probably the worst experience of having to navigate. But if you can get through it to someone higher up, you might just stand a chance at at least getting a reason rather than a canned response. That’s really difficult though, because you have to ride the line of just firm enough without seeming confrontational, and persistent without being pestering.

Still pointing out I’ve never heard of a support division which has “enough people” Especially with the volume of complaints players in an MMO send in daily.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Both times I had dealings with support they were extremely helpful and fast.

Back in Oct I changed my password and then couldn’t accesses my account at all on a any password.
That was resolved in 2 hours

Just this week my husband filed a ticket to get accesses to our daughter’s account that she hasn’t used in months and we had lost all the information except of the serial number.
I think it took an hour.

I realize that your issue is significantly different but I just wanted to point out that if you approach them, don’t just assume that they can’t/won’t help you.

I would post this in the Accounts section as others have said- maybe they can still do something for you.

It does sound like your roommate took you for a ride and from the looks of it- is still doing so.

Gunnar’s Hold

Treeline.3865

Not really. Just what I imagine, but you might be right

. . . that first-level support is probably the worst experience of having to navigate. But if you can get through it to someone higher up, you might just stand a chance at at least getting a reason rather than a canned response.

I ended up being pestering, and to my regret it worked. I got some clarifying answers and although it didn’t solve anything for me, the answers I ended up getting was certainly more reassuring than the copy pasted ones.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The lesson of this story? I highly recommend you avoid anything that will end up putting you in contact with Support. I got lucky once with the first mistaken ban once they realized their mistake a month later, but this time it seems they are choosing to stick with their story.

The lesson of this story? Beware of your roommates.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Not really. Just what I imagine, but you might be right

No, I meant I was, so far as having some experience with the mess before.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I wouldn’t have purchased a second account. It’s things like that which make them so perm-ban happy. There is no sub here, so unless you regularly buy gems then you are worth more to them banned (and thus likely to purchase a new account) than you are in game and having fun.

GW1 and GW2 are by far the easiest games I’ve seen to get perm-banned in, and actually are pretty infamous for this in the MMO community. To say Anet is well known for their heavy handed and rather shady banning strategies is an understatement. I have yet to see a sub based game where you can so easily lose your account and everything tied to it permanently.

On a side note- it sounds like Anet needs to train their support team a little better. Chances are, they are just seeing the previous reply and saying “Meh, this guy hasn’t accepted his action. RESEND!”

Posted by: Seezungenschleuder.8319

Seezungenschleuder.8319

How can you trust someone who scams people? People like him are outright EVIL and full of criminal energy.

Treeline.3865

No, I meant I was, so far as having some experience with the mess before.

Ah, my bad

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I have had to contact Support a few times and I must say that I have had Average to good quality every time. The cases where I said average always ended in a good ending but I rate them average just for a few minor things, such as time and just lack of basic logics at times lol.

Anywho to address what you typed at the end of your post “I highly recommend you avoid anything that will end up putting you in contact with Support.” I would counter recommend that it’s plainly better to advise people to try and NOT share their comps with other people if at all possible…

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Zoldyck.6241

Zoldyck.6241

How can you trust someone who scams people? People like him are outright EVIL and full of criminal energy.

I believe the saying applies… whether it be good friends or bad friends they are still friends.

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

I am like some here. If your friend is willing to scam others with no regard. It says much about his credibility.

Over the past 7-8 years playing gw1/2 I have sent in my share of support. Once for being banned for supposedly selling gold. I asked them to review the situation. As it was me just giving gold to my brother when he started playing. They did, then returned my account. Once had my account stolen, took about 3 weeks. But did get it back.
All in all, I have sent around 9 support tickets over the years. From my experiance they have done everything they could to resolve the issues. Every issue was resolved in a timely manner.
Pretty much, of all the tickets I’ve sent in they have been very helpful. And I have zero complaints concerning any of them.
Do I beleive some people get banned unjustly of course. But I also feel, with reviewing on their part they are able to say with certainty if they made a mistake or not. I feel in this case there is more going on than meets the eye here. If something shaddy happened on your account, then ultimately it is your fault. Even if it wasn’t you. It was your account that commited the violation.
If we can argue that my brother/friend/spouse/friendly neighborhood ghost, commited the violation. We would all be able to get away with just about anything we wished.

(edited by danielrjones.8759)

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

How do you even scam someone in Guild Wars 2?

I’m not commenting on whether or not you deserve a ban, I’m just genuinely perplexed that you can scam anyone in this game, let alone scam someone out of their Dawn.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

This stuff again. The whole event and posts from different people apparently involved in this event gets very confusing because of who did what, people posting from each others accounts and so forth. These are just a few of the threads started by those involved.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Wrongfully-Banned-6/
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/I-got-my-friend-banned
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Any-word-Gaile/

When all this was going on in this forum earlier I lost track of who did what, who was posting from who’s accounts and so forth and I gave up.

The Burninator

Aycee.9162

This stuff again. The whole event and posts from different people apparently involved in this event gets very confusing because of who did what, people posting from each others accounts and so forth. These are just a few of the threads started by those involved.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Wrongfully-Banned-6/
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/I-got-my-friend-banned
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Any-word-Gaile/

When all this was going on in this forum earlier I lost track of who did what, who was posting from who’s accounts and so forth and I gave up.

Okay here’s the detail of who’s who.

I’m Aaron the guy who got banned.
Solus aka Joe, is my roommate who pulled off the scam.
Nate, is my cousin who posted on the forums on my behalf.

But yeah, 3 people doesn’t seem too complicated.

Aycee.9162

How do you even scam someone in Guild Wars 2?

I’m not commenting on whether or not you deserve a ban, I’m just genuinely perplexed that you can scam anyone in this game, let alone scam someone out of their Dawn.

He did it through a mail trade

Aycee.9162

My question to this whole thing is you let someone other than you use your account, that in itself is bannable in nearly every mmo, honestly account sharing is just asking to get banned read the ToS, you’ll see..

We own separate accounts and sharing computers is not against the ToS, to the best of my knowledge.

JustTrogdor.7892

It wasn’t the names it was for example you posting here from someone else’s account, other people posting from the same account for you and so forth. There were multiple threads on the topic and it was just a big mess because of that. Anyway it sounds like a done deal so I don’t really see a reason to go on about it.

The Burninator

Aycee.9162

It wasn’t the names it was for example you posting here from someone else’s account, other people posting from the same account for you and so forth. There were multiple threads on the topic and it was just a big mess because of that. Anyway it sounds like a done deal so I don’t really see a reason to go on about it.

Ah yeah I can see how one could get mixed up. But the reason I’d like to go on about it is to raise awareness of the issues with support, because sure my account is probably done with but there will no doubt be more people in the future who will be punished by mistake. And as paying customers it’s not fair for them to be banned without a very thorough investigation, even if Anet says they can close your account for any reason in the User Agreement.

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

Aycee, I don’t want to come off as rude or make accusations towards you. Just want to say, from what I read it appears your account was used in a scam. If this is wrong then certainly there has been a mistake.
If however your account was used in any way at all in a scam. Then it will not be return imo. Even if it was not you. I feel if you could prove you were orbiting the earth in the international space station. They would still say, no.

Aycee.9162

Aycee, I don’t want to come off as rude or make accusations towards you. Just want to say, from what I read it appears your account was used in a scam. If this is wrong then certainly there has been a mistake.
If however your account was used in any way at all in a scam. Then it will not be return imo. Even if it was not you. I feel if you could prove you were orbiting the earth in the international space station. They would still say, no.

Don’t worry no offense taken.

I truly believe that my friend is telling the truth about using only his account in this whole thing. When he was talking to support about recovering the Dawn, they said they couldn’t find exactly how it went missing and if he had transferred it to me there would be some kind of mail log of that.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I am not going to go into details, but the facts are different than what is presented here. I think most of you have figured that out. Thank you for that.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Aycee.9162

My post was closed leaving me unable to leave a response. But please feel free to go into detail, I would like to know the story myself.

If you can show the logs of that Dawn entering my account, I will drop this problem and you’ll have taught me that my friend would lie to my face.

JustTrogdor.7892

I don’t think you are going to win any favors continuing to post about this over and over. Supposedly your friend scammed someone for one of the most sought after items in the game. Somehow, and I don’t think we are getting the whole story, this affected your account. Are you really sure you can trust and believe this friend?

Maybe it is just me but perhaps you should just go about your business on your new account. I would suggest your keep your “friend” very very far away from your new account.

Oh, and your thread title is a violation of forum rules:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/forum-code-of-conduct/

Do not engage in staff call-outs. Using the words “ArenaNet” or any staff member’s name will not expedite the answer to your query.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Aycee.9162

This is my second post, and only because she locked my first one leaving me unable to ask there. I don’t want any favors, I would just like the evidence. If my friend is lying and did involve my account, then yeah I can’t argue with that. But Support has provided no proof that he did, and after being friends with him for several years I don’t think he would do anything to get my account banned and then lie to my face about it.

and thanks for the tip on the title. changed it.

(edited by Aycee.9162)

JustTrogdor.7892

Actually this is not your second post on the topic if you count the ones you posted using someone else’s account, your cousin posting and your “friend” posting on the same topic. Of course the last two were not technically you (I think) but I think you get the point. Maybe I’m a pessimist, but there are very few people in life you can trust with absolute certainty to not kitten (I actually typed kitten) you over. You friend has already shown that he is willing to scam people. Doesn’t sound like a very trustworthy person to me.

Anyway, I’ve said what I have to say on this.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Aycee.9162

Actually this is not your second post on the topic if you count the ones you posted using someone else’s account, your cousin posting and your “friend” posting on the same topic. Of course the last two were not technically you but I think you get the point. Maybe I’m a pessimist, but there are very few people in life you can trust with absolute certainty to not kitten (I actually typed kitten) you over. You friend has already shown that he is willing to scam people. Doesn’t sound like a very trustworthy person to me.

Anyway, I’ve said what I have to say on this.

Alright lol the third then. But yeah I do understand your view point, but he’s my friend and even though he did scam someone I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt. Which is why I have asked for evidence several times, I’d like to know for myself if he’s lying or not

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

You sure do like to push your luck.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Aycee.9162

You sure do like to push your luck.

I put a lot of work into my account, I don’t think asking for evidence is pushing my luck. As a paying customer, I think it’s only fair.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

To be blunt, you are wasting your time and getting very close to having your forum access blocked as well. Support is simply not going to show you any logs.
There are only 2 possibilities here. Support is not telling the truth, or your friend is.
Support has no reason to lie to you. Your friend on the other hand has shown he lies and cheats at will. Who are you going to believe?
My suggestion is to drop it because you may not like what happens if you continue as you are.

Aycee.9162

To be blunt, you are wasting your time and getting very close to having your forum access blocked as well. Support is simply not going to show you any logs.
There are only 2 possibilities here. Support is not telling the truth, or your friend is.
Support has no reason to lie to you. Your friend on the other hand has shown he lies and cheats at will. Who are you going to believe?
My suggestion is to drop it because you may not like what happens if you continue as you are.

Well I already fell off the cliff, I might as well try to fly.

But I don’t know, it was just something in the way he told me. Seemed like he really meant it that it was contained to his account, I would honestly just like to know for myself.