My thoughts on GW2 from a GW1 player

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ScottBroChill.3254

ScottBroChill.3254

tl;dr is near the bottom, it’s a long post.

It’s fun because they said I’m having fun…. Really, theirs not much I enjoy. I might be sour about it because I’m what you would call a gw1 fanboy, but that’s because it was awesome and the perfect game for me, but now its dead so I must move on. I hate to kitten and moan, but I know Anet has the ability to make a game I can enjoy but so far they aren’t.

There aren’t goals I feel like achieving. They are either too shallow, or too time consuming to the point where it’s discouraging. It seems like an underachiever mindset who sets his goals too high to where he can’t be dissapointed(legendary weapons) if he can’t complete them, or so low that it’s guarenteed (really anything, there aren’t many other goals) a success. No real fun.

the story isn’t immersive and it’s just annoying bickering between the races. It’s a very childish storyline and I never really feel like I’m a part of it. I honestly couldn’t tell you plot twists or any major events of it besides fighting “the common enemy” because the cut scenes suck. I don’t mind the voice actors or anything, that parts fine.

Nothing is cool looking and makes me want it. I like rare items you have to farm for, because it’s something that not everyone is accessible to. It’s random and flashy that makes you feel special. It’s addictive in the way gambling is, and who doesn’t like free gambling in a video game that makes you feel better than others? Randomness also makes it so anybody, no matter how much you play, has a chance to get something. Obviously the more you play, the more opportunities to be lucky.

PvP. Since when, in any game, has a conquest/capture play mode been the most popular? I don’t think I need to say more.

WvW, cool idea, zerg fest. Fun for awhile, but I don’t feel like it has staying power. Although, I have yet to do it with a level 80 (My current highest is lvl 60-something, I got bored and stopped playing). Do something to make it more strategic, If anyone has ideas bring them to the table.

Traits aren’t customizable enough to cover the lack of customization for weapon skills. I don’t feel like I’m building a character at all, or making him my own. It feels like it’s street fighter, but with only as many character options as there are weapon options. And the combat isn’t deep enough so the skill ceiling is rather low in terms of just combat and using skills. Positioning is really the only other factor.

In an mmo, I want to make my own superhero basically. I want to build a character with a style I enjoy and I can be proud of what I built that character to be, whether it’s his looks and skills or the achievements I accomplished with him. In gw1 my mains where my ele and rit. My ele I decked out in ascended hydromancer armor and usually ran variations of water builds, because I wanted to be an ice mage which was rather unique in that game because fire and earth were more sought after for pve. But, I enjoyed the challenge of using my character like an underdog. Eventually I got obsidian armor which is one of my biggest accomplishments of any game. In gw2, my ele is akin to that of the avatar, except every other ele is also an avatar. Why can’t I have a specialty?

I hate playing a jack of all trades class. Well unfortunately they made everything like that except the thief, which is only useful for conditions and dps.

Everything is way to ingrained to make any changes. The many currencies people have would make hours of grind useless if they changed that system. The combat is the combat, and really, you can’t do anything but polish it I suppose.

tl;dr this game feels like an action adventure game without good combat and fluidity. The combat is nice, but it shouldn’t be the focus because you never actually feel like your physically hitting anything, you just go around wiffing until numbers pop up.

I think Anet will become overwhelmed with this game faster than they did with GW1. They are behaving like the US government and trying to tell me what I want and what I need, but really they are just constricting the amount of fun I could be having.

I know there are threads like this out there, but I feel like I had a lot to say and sort of get off my chest. I would like to know how other people feel about these sort of issues and if there’s a way to change my mind. I’ll keep my hope until they announce GW3, but it’s a challenge.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The combat in this game is very “free” there are not too many skills you cant do on the move. It all flows well with the ability to roll. There are option to make your screen shack when you use skills to give you less of a “wiffing” feeling as you put it. Do you want there to be a “stun” like hit for each time you hit some one? If so you will have fast attking classes simply stun lock ppl to where they cant do any ability.

The government comment dose not fit any thing your saying the idea what your seem to be getting at is that your in a smaller group of views so your views are not taking as much as the larger group. This is not a new things for the USA government it is from the very start of things its a winner takes all system. Its not the best system but truly there is no “best” system. You cant have a small group stopping every thing that most of the ppl want.

As for GW2 the game is how the makers want to make it YOU have nothing to do with there chose. So its not the best thing to talk about governments when it comes to a privately owned businesses. You as a player have as much rights as they wish to give you and they can chose to changes these as they see fit.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Good for you for getting it off your chest!

What mmo has combat that let’s you feel like you’re hitting something? I suppose age of Conan does because there’s blood and stuff but I’m drawing a blank otherwise.

It’s a good thing it’s not ten years ago or I would have had a bit to say about your government organising everybody.

Yes, I only read the tldr. I haven’t played gw1 so I don’t feel your pain. I’ve been grossly disappointed by things before so I’m also not trivialising your post (I hope).

Screen shake options Jski? I’ll have to look for this.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

(edited by zenleto.6179)

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

@ Zenleto.6179
Esc → Options → General Options → Enable Camera Shake
I never used it and it seems most ppl do not like it but it should give some what of a feeling that your using big ability.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

zenleto.6179

@ Zenleto.6179
Esc -> Options -> General Options -> Enable Camera Shake
I never used it and it seems most ppl do not like it but it should give some what of a feeling that your using big ability.

Nice, thanks. I’ll give it a go later.

ScottBroChill.3254

The combat in this game is very “free” there are not too many skills you cant do on the move. It all flows well with the ability to roll. There are option to make your screen shack when you use skills to give you less of a “wiffing” feeling as you put it. Do you want there to be a “stun” like hit for each time you hit some one? If so you will have fast attking classes simply stun lock ppl to where they cant do any ability.

The government comment dose not fit any thing your saying the idea what your seem to be getting at is that your in a smaller group of views so your views are not taking as much as the larger group. This is not a new things for the USA government it is from the very start of things its a winner takes all system. Its not the best system but truly there is no “best” system. You cant have a small group stopping every thing that most of the ppl want.

As for GW2 the game is how the makers want to make it YOU have nothing to do with there chose. So its not the best thing to talk about governments when it comes to a privately owned businesses. You as a player have as much rights as they wish to give you and they can chose to changes these as they see fit.

The combat is very free I agree in the sense that you use it. I do love being able to freely use skills without targets and placing aoe’s where I please. I’m having a hard time trying to com across with what I mean, but I guess it’s like the fact that there isn’t much precision in the combat and so the depth of how you use skills is still similar to how you would in another mmo where you just cycle through skills. To me, and this is only an opinion, without having to worry much about precision it sort of makes the combat system more dull than it could have been. I know it’s an mmo and it’s a big improvement to most combat systems, but they took away to much customization for how much they give back in traits and in combat. It’s basically strafing and dodging whenever you feel like, because it’s hard to prejudge skills.

The gov. comment on my part was sorta stupid. By that I meant that they took to much control over player options so they don’t have to worry about balancing as much. I can see where they come from, but they are a game company. Other companies seem to not care about dealing with balance issues in order to provide more options.

Anet is free to do what they want, and as a member and participant of this game I am free to express my opinion on there choices, especially since they constantly state how much they care about what they gamers want. The forums are mostly flooded with complainers, because when players are unsatisfied they would like the company to know why, and maybe after seeing similar complaints and suggestions over and over again I believe they may decide to make changes for the better. Now, this is assuming others agree with my opinion, but when they don’t that’s ok to.

Thanks for the feedback by the way. I suppose I should lighten up and not be so demanding. The game is in it’s early years still and still has a lot of life and improvements yet to come.

zenleto.6179

Early months even ScottBroChill. Give it time and watch how it pans out. It may end up sucking beyond all imagining or being pretty kitten good. Some people already find it one or the other but time will tell.

ScottBroChill.3254

yeah I guess. I may have envisioned something a little too great to be possible. I’m going to start to try getting into it again and try and find a little more depth to it in the coming weeks. I atleast ought to get to level 80 and experience more of the game before being so critical.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Early months even ScottBroChill. Give it time and watch how it pans out. It may end up sucking beyond all imagining or being pretty kitten good. Some people already find it one or the other but time will tell.

I’m all but done on the game, I keep checking here for hope. I think if Anet after years of experience with GW1 were going to pull something amazing out of the bag they would have done it already. My original main is a Necro and from what I keep reading they still are getting no love while Warriors are getting constantly buffed (whats that about?)?

Ps. INB4 Vayne comes to defend all things Anet and tell you that you’re all wrong unless you agree with him :P

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m all but done on the game, I keep checking here for hope. I think if Anet after years of experience with GW1 were going to pull something amazing out of the bag they would have done it already. My original main is a Necro and from what I keep reading they still are getting no love while Warriors are getting constantly buffed (whats that about?)?

Ps. INB4 Vayne comes to defend all things Anet and tell you that you’re all wrong unless you agree with him :P

Vayne never said anything about you’re wrong unless I agree with you. Vayne simply said there are two sides to any story and some people don’t necessarily agree with that’s being posted. You should probably read what Vayne says more often, and you’d understand it better.

@OP, I agree with some of what you say. The combat system in Guild Wars 2 isn’t as deep as it was in Guild Wars 1. That’s a trade off. Guild Wars 1 became impossible to balance and it causes no end to troubles.

The story in Guild Wars 1 is very different to the story in Guild Wars 2, because you have the same characters with you all the way throughout the story, instead of a cast of changing characters. In general, there story is Guild Wars 1 was probably better…but some of the missions really really annoyed me, particularly mission bonuses that seemed to come out of left field (Blacktide Den, anyone?).

This game is not Guild Wars 1, and probably couldn’t be in an open world. But then I’d be comparing this game to Prophecies and not all of Guild Wars 1. That’s where I differ from most people.

I don’t think Prophecies had more to do or work for than this game. I think it had less. Just my opinion, of course.

But in my mind, until this game is a couple of years old, it can’t possibly be as good as three full Guild Wars 1 games and an expansion.

I definitely feel, though, that it’s better overall than Prophecies alone.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

See, I knew you would. GG Vayne

Posted by: Tiger.9786

Tiger.9786

I agree with the things you’ve said. I feel like each Profession has to do one thing or the other. It feels like there’s only 2-3 acceptable builds for each profession. I miss Guild Wars 1 and love the skill system. (3500 hours in it myself but never managed to get obby armor) but like you said it’s dead and now we’re left with GW2.

In the beginning I wanted to play a melee ranger in every aspect of the game. The reality that I’ve seen is this. Pet’s are pretty boring to me and I don’t know why but don’t like their UI/movement. And you pretty much have to be ranged in this game to be the best. Sure I could put a lot of time into getting skilled into melee fighting but why not just switch to shortbow/add condition damage Pew Pew Insane damage from distance. Seems like that’s the only option for ranger.

But it is the beginning of the game. I’m sure it will all be better once the first expansion is out but who knows when that will be? Next summer/fall?

(edited by Tiger.9786)

Vayne.8563

See, I knew you would. GG Vayne

I wasn’t even going to post in this thread until you referenced me. Then I felt sorta honorbound. lol

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

Why is combat bad? Maybe it’s because you can go through the entire game just using the 1 skill? If there is no reason to use other skills, then what’s the poin of having other skills, everything about the combat in this game is dumbed down and simple.

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

This combat is going to be perfect for next gen consoles. I hope by then they have more skills to use per weapon though.

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

ScottBroChill.3254

It’s just everything is based off of a gimmick almost, and this mostly concerns the classes. There gimmick is their class mechanic and by about level 30 you have all but mastered everything, and even if you haven’t your just as effective almost.

It’s like they didn’t include ONE thing for the old playerbase. They didn’t include sweet lore built off the old lore, they sorta scrapped it and ruined it with the whole dragon thing in EOTN. They ruined the MtG style deck building, which, although was rather hard to balance, they could have easily had many customization options with so many less skills than gw1, and could keep restrictions about how many of a certain type of skill you could have so they could limit all the possibilities in less restrictive way than now.

And with the sweet art team I thought the armor and weapons would look a little better. Nothing is really eye catching besides the animated armor and heavy armor. And only the legendary weapons are really anything worth writing home about, and theres like one useful one, if that for each profession besides anything that uses greatsword in which you get spoiled by have two weapons to choose from, whoopie.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

@OP, I agree with some of what you say. The combat system in Guild Wars 2 isn’t as deep as it was in Guild Wars 1. That’s a trade off. Guild Wars 1 became impossible to balance and it causes no end to troubles.

Which is strange because i’m seeing just as much imbalance here in GW2 even with the trade off as we did in Guildwars 1, so i don’t believe for a second the combat system here is any better..especially the lack of skills part..

It in my opinion is because they balance the game in a tiny part very few play spvp..and let the other two parts pve and wvw get messed up..

ScottBroChill.3254

Which is strange because i’m seeing just as much imbalance here in GW2 even with the trade off as we did in Guildwars 1, so i don’t believe for a second the combat system here is any better..especially the lack of skills part..

It in my opinion is because they balance the game in a tiny part very few play spvp..and let the other two parts pve and wvw get messed up..

This is really it. There is always going to be a certain percentage of stuff that isn’t usable, only because theres something better. With less things better, there’s less things to use.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

What?
You don’t like spamming 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 5 4 3 11 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 3 3 4 1 111 1 1 1 1 1 1 1.
It requires tons skill!

But, seriously, yeah, I’d love to have GW1’s skill system back…
Would be nice to be pure support guardian with 2 attacks, or berserker warrior with ONLY attack skills.

ScottBroChill.3254

really. They waste a skill spot on auto attacks? what kind of sorcery is this….

Posted by: Dessan.9420

Dessan.9420

My thoughts on GW2 from a GW1 player:
They are 2 totally different games, and the only thing that connects them is fluff. Judging one in comparison to the other makes absolutely no sense.

ScottBroChill.3254

Well then why was I promised that the game would include everything I loved about the first game? and they stopped caring about gw1 so I can’t go back and am now stuck with this “new” direction.

clay.7849

Well then why was I promised that the game would include everything I loved about the first game? and they stopped caring about gw1 so I can’t go back and am now stuck with this “new” direction.

Exactly. Ill tell you why: they wanted your money more than they cared about making a good game for their ridiculously dedicated fanbase. Really GW2 is a slap in the face to GW1 players.

Vayne.8563

Actually, I don’t think that the balance in this game is near as bad as it was in Guild Wars 2, from a PvE standpoint.

That is to say, if you ran around with certain heroes, you could do pretty much anything in the game, including soloing hard mode dungeons. A couple of rits in your party and there really wasn’t much you couldn’t do, even if you didn’t play.

Someone said the skill system in Guild Wars 2 is bad because you can get through the entire game hitting the 1 key. Then the skill system in Guild Wars 1 must have been terrible, because my heroes didn’t need me to be there at all.

Vayne.8563

A manifesto is a statement of intent, not a promise. Ergo, you were promised nothing. This is one single line from one single ad. Almost everything about the game, and I do say almost. we knew well before launch.

We knew weapon skills were tied to weapons. We knew there would be less skills. We knew there would be different professions. We knew there would be an open world. We knew there would be active dodging. We knew there would be dynamic events. We knew there would be a marketplace.

Please don’t say that based on that single line from a manifesto (which is a statement of intent, not a promise of features), you thought we’d have a dual class system, with dervishes and rits, because it’s completely disingenuous.

There are definitely legitimate complaints about the direction of the game, but trying to use a single line from a manifesto that appeared two years before the game released is not only not realistic, but shows a lack of understanding of what a manifesto is.

The problem is a lot of Guild Wars 1 players didn’t heavily play other MMOs, and Anet was making an MMO. Compared to other MMOs, this game feels a whole lot more like Guild Wars 1 than most people are willing to believe. A game is a whole lot more than just a collection of features.

Simplest example, Komir and Trahearne are almost exactly the same, in that they sort of steal the story from you, though they didn’t do much. There are so many aspects of Guild Wars 1 I see in this game that people are just ignoring.

ScottBroChill.3254

Oh no, trust me, I wanted a fully persistent mmo don’t get me wrong.

I have never had any trouble with any of the missions or pve aspects of this game. Fractals is different, because the challange keeps increasing, but that’s all they got and it’s tacked on and added vertical gear progression. In GW1 I would often have to repeat missions to make new strategies in order to beat them, THAT is fun for ME. (opinion, I lack a challenge because It makes me think). And I never grinded to the point where I could deck out all of my heroes in equipment, armor/runes, skills, and all the other best things because that took a ridiculous amount of time on it’s own. So, I never felt the easiness of having the npc’s do all the work and found the game increasingly difficult when people started to leave.

I like the combat system. I never said I didn’t. I said I didn’t like the fact that there’s no depth into the customization of the combat via skills, traits(this is hardly customizing, just makes everything usually more gimmicky), weapons, and the second half the skill bar may be customizable, but really? they are all high cd abilities that hardly affect the majority of combat.

I’m not using that “one line” from the manifesto as my whole argument, I’m using it as a basis for why I might be mad at the false advertisement. Everything else they advertise is here, but what about that?

And your telling me that one character representing the same role of Kormir in a someone crappy storyline, in which the general public seems to agree is underwhelming, is supposed to be enough of gw1 nastolgia? I’m not looking for gw1 easter eggs in this game. They ruined how the lore from gw1 could have went and made it unengaging.

I’m looking for more of parts of gw1’s character system, skill system, armor and weapons, and things of the like. Really the only thing that has stayed is the class names and weapon and armor skins being only cosmetic. The latter sort of blows because there’s so very few attractive skins in this game unless you are a heavy armored character. This upsets me because they literally have one of the best art teams out there, I’ve seen the concept art and everything is epic. Why hasn’t any of the epicness transferred over?

GW1 felt the way it did because of it’s skill system. Being able to reload you skill bar in town and customize it to your liking. They kept the ability to change it and not get stuck in one bar, but took away customization to a higher degree than I think they should have.

I shouldn’t compare GW2 to anything else, but to me it seems the new Elder Scrolls Online will have just as much engaging combat as this, except I can actually make my character how I want and different from others. time will tell on this argument, but this is my opinion.

Vayne.8563

I have never had any trouble with any of the missions or pve aspects of this game. Fractals is different, because the challange keeps increasing, but that’s all they got and it’s tacked on and added vertical gear progression. In GW1 I would often have to repeat missions to make new strategies in order to beat them, THAT is fun for ME. (opinion, I lack a challenge because It makes me think). And I never grinded to the point where I could deck out all of my heroes in equipment, armor/runes, skills, and all the other best things because that took a ridiculous amount of time on it’s own. So, I never felt the easiness of having the npc’s do all the work and found the game increasingly difficult when people started to leave.

I like the combat system. I never said I didn’t. I said I didn’t like the fact that there’s no depth into the customization of the combat via skills, traits(this is hardly customizing, just makes everything usually more gimmicky), weapons, and the second half the skill bar may be customizable, but really? they are all high cd abilities that hardly affect the majority of combat.

I’m not using that “one line” from the manifesto as my whole argument, I’m using it as a basis for why I might be mad at the false advertisement. Everything else they advertise is here, but what about that?

And your telling me that one character representing the same role of Kormir in a someone crappy storyline, in which the general public seems to agree is underwhelming, is supposed to be enough of gw1 nastolgia? I’m not looking for gw1 easter eggs in this game. They ruined how the lore from gw1 could have went and made it unengaging.

I’m looking for more of parts of gw1’s character system, skill system, armor and weapons, and things of the like. Really the only thing that has stayed is the class names and weapon and armor skins being only cosmetic. The latter sort of blows because there’s so very few attractive skins in this game unless you are a heavy armored character. This upsets me because they literally have one of the best art teams out there, I’ve seen the concept art and everything is epic. Why hasn’t any of the epicness transferred over?

GW1 felt the way it did because of it’s skill system. Being able to reload you skill bar in town and customize it to your liking. They kept the ability to change it and not get stuck in one bar, but took away customization to a higher degree than I think they should have.

snip

I’m telling you that a lot of the same sensibilities in this game are from Guild Wars 1…and that I see them. That I play this game very similiarly to how I played Guild Wars 1. That I get the same feeling going around the world. They may not have quests in this game like Guild Wars 1, but they still have an epic feel to the world that many MMOs miss. The challenge, however is hit and miss.

For example, yesterday I was in Wayfarer Foothills. It’s a starter zone. And I’m near the wurm cave. So we’re doing this event and suddenly one of the storm events from the living story starts. Out of the blue, on top of the event we were doing. Well, now there are ice elementals in addition to a couple of veteran ice elementals, and you know, we’re scaled down for this. So then a portal opens up right in the same area, and we have dredge and charr coming through the portal. There were a bunch of people there, but it was still tough.

Do you remember going back to Ascalon in Guild Wars 1? How you’d take your 20th level NF or Factions character back from LA to get the first missions. And how there was no challenge at all, you’d just run through the entire zone? With a 20th level character, and heroes, most of Guild Wars 1 was silly. And remember the game didn’t launch with hard mode. That came later.

So here you really can make this game more challenging for yourself. There are all sorts of champions you can try to solo if you want. There are tough group events in out of the way places you can do with less people than you’d normally need. Some of these battles are hectic.

There were only 25 missions in Prophecies. That’s it. The other stuff all came later.

So when you compare this to Prophecies, we’re just around the point where hard mode was introduced. Prophecies had nothing like the fractals, had no dungeons…people need to give this game time. Content takes time.

They need to solidify the core game before they go onto make the game harder. But the harder still will come. It’s just a matter of time.

If you take away Nightfall, Factions and Eye of the North, a lot of the stuff I liked best about Guild Wars 1 personally, including hard mode, wasn’t there at launch.

clay.7849

Actually, I don’t think that the balance in this game is near as bad as it was in Guild Wars 2, from a PvE standpoint.

That is to say, if you ran around with certain heroes, you could do pretty much anything in the game, including soloing hard mode dungeons. A couple of rits in your party and there really wasn’t much you couldn’t do, even if you didn’t play.

Someone said the skill system in Guild Wars 2 is bad because you can get through the entire game hitting the 1 key. Then the skill system in Guild Wars 1 must have been terrible, because my heroes didn’t need me to be there at all.

Ever go clear CoF with a speed clear team? Ever try it with other teams? Ever try conditions instead of DPS?

Yea, PvE balance is broken too.

ScottBroChill.3254

The 25 missions where a lot more fun than most of any of the pve in GW2. Although opinionated, I believe most people who have experienced both would agree.

I liked that older content became easier, It made me feel like I was improving, like I was top dog and that I’ve made progress. This didn’t bother me in the slightest. This game is different though, and it’s a nice feature added to make your level accordingly to the area you were in, this keeps high lvl players from the taking the experience away from low level characters.

I would say the endgame in both games, initial release were about the same in how short lived they are. But, gw1 had an awesome team oriented pvp and the random arenas I enjoyed more than this conquest capture mode. This is opinionated so I don’t mind about that, but there’s still only one game type. Atleast structure it like alliance battles, that was a better structure.

dynamic events are cool the first time, the second time, and maybe the third time. They become irritating as hell every other time and repetitive because they are the same as quests accept you don’t know what the hell is going on. You usually just sit around fighting off easy waves of enemies.

I’ll give it time, especially since the first expansion isn’t out, but this is how I feel about the current game and I dislike the direction they seem to be taking with it. I’ve said this in different ways multiple times.

clay.7849

snip

I’m telling you that a lot of the same sensibilities in this game are from Guild Wars 1…and that I see them. That I play this game very similiarly to how I played Guild Wars 1. That I get the same feeling going around the world. They may not have quests in this game like Guild Wars 1, but they still have an epic feel to the world that many MMOs miss. The challenge, however is hit and miss.

For example, yesterday I was in Wayfarer Foothills. It’s a starter zone. And I’m near the wurm cave. So we’re doing this event and suddenly one of the storm events from the living story starts. Out of the blue, on top of the event we were doing. Well, now there are ice elementals in addition to a couple of veteran ice elementals, and you know, we’re scaled down for this. So then a portal opens up right in the same area, and we have dredge and charr coming through the portal. There were a bunch of people there, but it was still tough.

Do you remember going back to Ascalon in Guild Wars 1? How you’d take your 20th level NF or Factions character back from LA to get the first missions. And how there was no challenge at all, you’d just run through the entire zone? With a 20th level character, and heroes, most of Guild Wars 1 was silly. And remember the game didn’t launch with hard mode. That came later.

So here you really can make this game more challenging for yourself. There are all sorts of champions you can try to solo if you want. There are tough group events in out of the way places you can do with less people than you’d normally need. Some of these battles are hectic.

There were only 25 missions in Prophecies. That’s it. The other stuff all came later.

So when you compare this to Prophecies, we’re just around the point where hard mode was introduced. Prophecies had nothing like the fractals, had no dungeons…people need to give this game time. Content takes time.

They need to solidify the core game before they go onto make the game harder. But the harder still will come. It’s just a matter of time.

If you take away Nightfall, Factions and Eye of the North, a lot of the stuff I liked best about Guild Wars 1 personally, including hard mode, wasn’t there at launch.

UW and FoW weren’t available in Prophecies? Funny, I’m pretty sure I played them then… Also tombs, GvG, RA…

Odd…

Vayne.8563

The 25 missions where a lot more fun than most of any of the pve in GW2. Although opinionated, I believe most people who have experienced both would agree.

I liked that older content became easier, It made me feel like I was improving, like I was top dog and that I’ve made progress. This didn’t bother me in the slightest. This game is different though, and it’s a nice feature added to make your level accordingly to the area you were in, this keeps high lvl players from the taking the experience away from low level characters.

I would say the endgame in both games, initial release were about the same in how short lived they are. But, gw1 had an awesome team oriented pvp and the random arenas I enjoyed more than this conquest capture mode. This is opinionated so I don’t mind about that, but there’s still only one game type. Atleast structure it like alliance battles, that was a better structure.

dynamic events are cool the first time, the second time, and maybe the third time. They become irritating as hell every other time and repetitive because they are the same as quests accept you don’t know what the hell is going on. You usually just sit around fighting off easy waves of enemies.

I’ll give it time, especially since the first expansion isn’t out, but this is how I feel about the current game and I dislike the direction they seem to be taking with it. I’ve said this in different ways multiple times.

Ummm no, most people wouldn’t agree. Let’s go through some of those missions one by one.

I agree the first four missions were fun. I also think everything in the Maguuma Jungle was just godawful filler that didn’t need to be there.

Do you remember the mission in the Southern Shiverpeakes? Thunderhead Keep? You fought your way to the center of the fort and then stood there for half an hour while wave after wave of Mursaat and white mantle attacked you, four at a time. You’d kill a wave in ten seconds, even in hard mode and have to wait for the next wave. That was REALLY fun for you? Because it bored me senseless?

Do you remember the similar mission with the temple in Divinity’s Reach, with the undead attacking around the healing fountain? Boring as dishwater. Maybe you like standing there waiting for 20 minutes of guys to spawn who represent NO CHALLENGE AT ALL TO YOU, but I didn’t. It felt like a complete waste of my time.

Then there were missions that were awesomely challenging, until you knew how to do them.

There are great missions in Prophecies. I agree with that. There were also some very very bad ones.

I never found the Dragon’s Lair mission fun or challenging. Maybe, MAYBE the first time. It was just too easy.

Admittedly, I didn’t do that when Prophecies first came out, so it might have been harder.

Skills like Pain Inverter, Technobabble, necrosis for necros, builds using discord, the sabway three necro build (all before the ritualists become too powerful) made a joke of most of the content.

Maybe it would have been different if I’d been there playing Prophecies at launch but when I played the game, some of those missions were way too easy. Because they never redid the missions to compensate for heroes. And they couldn’t because not everyone owned Nightfall or EotN.

ScottBroChill.3254

Thank you, clay, I have no idea why i forgot to include that. The realm of the gods was some of the most incredible stuff, from the feel of it, to the rewards, and to the difficulty of it untill speedclears came about. But even then, speedclears take a lot of focus and timing, which requires SKILL.

Vayne.8563

Thank you, clay, I have no idea why i forgot to include that. The realm of the gods was some of the most incredible stuff, from the feel of it, to the rewards, and to the difficulty of it untill speedclears came about. But even then, speedclears take a lot of focus and timing, which requires SKILL.

So Arah explorable mode doesn’t require skill? High level fractals don’t require skill? Hell even the redo of AC requires skill.

Name places in the open world in Guild Wars 1 that required skill please.

clay.7849

Lol Vayne, every time you post about GW1 you keep contradicting that you liked the game. Seriously, face it, you didn’t really like GW1 and don’t see why it was so successful. It was just a pretty game to you.

ScottBroChill.3254

Ummm no, most people wouldn’t agree. Let’s go through some of those missions one by one.

I agree the first four missions were fun. I also think everything in the Maguuma Jungle was just godawful filler that didn’t need to be there.

Do you remember the mission in the Southern Shiverpeakes? Thunderhead Keep? You fought your way to the center of the fort and then stood there for half an hour while wave after wave of Mursaat and white mantle attacked you, four at a time. You’d kill a wave in ten seconds, even in hard mode and have to wait for the next wave. That was REALLY fun for you? Because it bored me senseless?

Do you remember the similar mission with the temple in Divinity’s Reach, with the undead attacking around the healing fountain? Boring as dishwater. Maybe you like standing there waiting for 20 minutes of guys to spawn who represent NO CHALLENGE AT ALL TO YOU, but I didn’t. It felt like a complete waste of my time.

Then there were missions that were awesomely challenging, until you knew how to do them.

There are great missions in Prophecies. I agree with that. There were also some very very bad ones.

I never found the Dragon’s Lair mission fun or challenging. Maybe, MAYBE the first time. It was just too easy.

Admittedly, I didn’t do that when Prophecies first came out, so it might have been harder.

Skills like Pain Inverter, Technobabble, necrosis for necros, builds using discord, the sabway three necro build (all before the ritualists become too powerful) made a joke of most of the content.

Maybe it would have been different if I’d been there playing Prophecies at launch but when I played the game, some of those missions were way too easy. Because they never redid the missions to compensate for heroes. And they couldn’t because not everyone owned Nightfall or EotN.

I’ll let you know that before all the expansions, those missions took hours if not properly prepared. There were no easy mode skills. some farming builds and stuff like that, but for the general playerbase the missions were incredibly challenging. PuG’s sometimes were the most annoying, but they also provided some of the most fun. Everyone was laughing there kitten off when everyone is whiped but one person, and you have to try and strategicly rez everyone. If not you started again and tried not to do the same.

Prophecies had the problem of power creep. Once the expansions started coming out it became obsolete in a way, but standalone it was almost perfect. It was a fundamentally solid game.

clay.7849

Even solo farming was more difficult and intrinsically rewarding than anything in GW2.

Vayne.8563

Lol Vayne, every time you post about GW1 you keep contradicting that you liked the game. Seriously, face it, you didn’t really like GW1 and don’t see why it was so successful. It was just a pretty game to you.

I could make a list of stuff I don’t like about Guild Wars 2 that would surprise you. There’s plenty of it. Would you also say I don’t like Guild Wars 2?

Bad logic remains bad logic.

Vayne.8563

Even solo farming was more difficult and intrinsically rewarding than anything in GW2.

Solo farming? LMFAO!

So that’s what you like about games. No wonder you don’t like Guild Wars 2. BTW, being a 55 monk and solo farming wasn’t very challenging for me at all. It was quite easy in fact. Solo farming vatteirs in EotN wasn’t that challenging either.

And this is from a guy who couldn’t do it for long, because I get bored farming really fast. But even in the short time I did it, it wasn’t challenging. Maybe you’re thinking of a different game.

ScottBroChill.3254

So Arah explorable mode doesn’t require skill? High level fractals don’t require skill? Hell even the redo of AC requires skill.

dude I said fractals requires skill, but that’s about the only thing. Everything else doesn’t really have a strategy for beating it, just enduring it.

I would really like it if people didn’t put words in my mouth, thank you.

clay.7849

Solo farming? LMFAO!

So that’s what you like about games. No wonder you don’t like Guild Wars 2. BTW, being a 55 monk and solo farming wasn’t very challenging for me at all. It was quite easy in fact. Solo farming vatteirs in EotN wasn’t that challenging either.

And this is from a guy who couldn’t do it for long, because I get bored farming really fast. But even in the short time I did it, it wasn’t challenging. Maybe you’re thinking of a different game.

Who said 55 monk? Sure that was easy when you didn’t deal with enchant removal. But did you ever use a rit/ranger in FoW?

Ya, see just because you think you know what I’m taking about, you don’t.

And it was still more intrinsically rewarding being a 55 in UW than any combat in this game.

clay.7849

dude I said fractals requires skill, but that’s about the only thing. Everything else doesn’t really have a strategy for beating it, just enduring it.

Exactly. The FACT is the only difference between 95% of hard and easy content in this game is higher hit points and DPS. That, objectively, points to bad design.

ScottBroChill.3254

Solo farming? LMFAO!

I view EotN in the same category as gw2. It ruined a lot about gw1 and was hardly a part of it. NF and EotN made everything in pve too easy. But, I still found NF to be one the best games I’ve ever played and the whole realm of torment is flat out awesome. I could never see something that dark, or that artistically enticing in this game. It just seems like it will never exist in the future.

Vayne.8563

I find certain hard mode dungeons do require skill. ANd yes, surviving is skill. If you want to test your skill, get a team together and try to do some explorable mode dungeons without dying.

ScottBroChill.3254

I find certain hard mode dungeons do require skill. ANd yes, surviving is skill. If you want to test your skill, get a team together and try to do some explorable mode dungeons without dying.

But see, this is it. I shouldn’t have to challenge myself in a game it should challenge me. I don’t get anything from not dying and I’ll just respawn anyway and with my progress why would i restart? I’m not grinding for a weapon or skin I want, I’m grinding for currency. Now I have this middle man in the way keeping me from my real goal.

Vayne.8563

But see, this is it. I shouldn’t have to challenge myself in a game it should challenge me. I don’t get anything from not dying and I’ll just respawn anyway and with my progress why would i restart? I’m not grinding for a weapon or skin I want, I’m grinding for currency. Now I have this middle man in the way keeping me from my real goal.

As I said, I didn’t find that much of Guild Wars 1 challenging with heroes. I had to make my own challenges, like trying to solo vanquish The Plains of Jarin, which I enjoyed. But that isn’t really part of the game. By the time I played the game, I had to make my own challenge.

ScottBroChill.3254

honestly, you started playing the game way after it’s peak and I don’t want to say what your saying is invalid, but you missed the golden ages of gw1. Everything that was a part of HoM never really interested me unless it was something I wanted to do. It reminds me of the daily achievements in gw2, except I was working for something tangible in game.

Vayne.8563

honestly, you started playing the game way after it’s peak and I don’t want to say what your saying is invalid, but you missed the golden ages of gw1. Everything that was a part of HoM never really interested me unless it was something I wanted to do. It reminds me of the daily achievements in gw2, except I was working for something tangible in game.

The problem with the golden age of anything though is that sometimes revisiting it doesn’t make it all that golden.

I’ve played plenty of awesome games that didn’t change at all, only to go back to them and feel totally bored. If I started playing Guild Wars 1 six or so years ago, that means the golden age would have been before that.

That’s a long time and a lot of memory. I’m not so sure things were as rosy as you paint them. Well I know they weren’t for certain people since both my sons left Guild Wars 1 back during the golden age for WoW.

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

Golden age of online games is at its best!

GW2’s golden age was short lived, I tellin’ ya’, this game was amazing at launch.. Look what is has become.

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

Posted by: stayBlind.7849

stayBlind.7849

I’d have to agree with Scott on this one.

I find it hard to motivate myself to even log into GW2; when I played GW1 I couldn’t stop wanting to play.

Posted by: Zahme.7802

Zahme.7802

I started last weekend to play GW1, since I want the HoM Points.
At the beginning I wanted to do all 30 Points, but now I’m happy when I get to Level 10 and get the 3 points from linking the accounts.
Sorry, but I can’t see whats so great about GW1.