Mystery reflection inside the Eye of Zhaitan.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Hello guild wars community.

I noticed something while playing today….

There seems to be an image reflected subtly in one of the textures found on every Eye of Zhaitan.

The only thing I can make out from the image, are trees, a blue sky, and some clouds.

At first I just thought these were reflections of my surroundings…. but the image is present on every Eye, regardless of where you encounter it, and it is clearly not reflecting anything…
It is instead an image…. of what appears to be a forest.

I can’t tell if it is a photo, or painting/artwork.
Any idea what this is an image of?

Attachments:

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

To make a surfaces look reflective (not mirror like, slightly reflective like your screens), you apply on them a cube mapped texture that represents the surroundings.

But getting this cube mapped texture of your surroundings custom created for each item that has reflective polygons would be prohibitive, especially when you can just throw any some random cube map that has nothing to do with the location at all and will only be noticed under close scrutiny like you did

I bet you’ll find the same forest in every single item with similar reflective properties as the eye :p

Posted by: Sophs.1705

Sophs.1705

Or! he actually sees things in reverse so that we look like zombies and he is only trying to save the world from us! he is just so misunderstood.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

To make a surfaces look reflective (not mirror like, slightly reflective like your screens), you apply on them a cube mapped texture that represents the surroundings.

But getting this cube mapped texture of your surroundings custom created for each item that has reflective polygons would be prohibitive, especially when you can just throw any some random cube map that has nothing to do with the location at all and will only be noticed under close scrutiny like you did

I bet you’ll find the same forest in every single item with similar reflective properties as the eye :p

Gotcha…. so its just an easy way out of taking a performance hit, by creating a fake reflection.

Thought there was something more to it… maybe even some lore.

like… “His gaze is always fixed on Kryta” or something (I made that up btw haha)

thanks for the reply.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

It looks like the Tarnished Coast, possibly the Sylvari starter area.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

To speak Lore on this minor spoiler alert since these eyes are created from the souls of the ancient dead kings and nobility, perhaps although they are twisted and forced to serve now, they still have a longing for their long dead kingdom. They always see a hint of how Orr once was before its destruction.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

To speak Lore on this minor spoiler alert since these eyes are created from the souls of the ancient dead kings and nobility, perhaps although they are twisted and forced to serve now, they still have a longing for their long dead kingdom. They always see a hint of how Orr once was before its destruction.

That does look quite a bit like a GW1 screenie. I can’t think of any area in GW2 that has smaller clustered trees like that. Maybe it’s pre-cataclysm Orr?

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Hahah,that’s the same in Far Cry 3,there are these Caves that had puddles of water in them,but instead of reflecting the Cave it was reflecting trees and clouds and such.