NPCs calling Divinity's Reach "DR"...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

I would very much like all the NPCs to stop saying “DR” out loud please. Thank you. It sounds weird. When NPCs say “DR” out loud I feel like they’re talking about some big old biker gang leader that hangs out in a dive bar. “Ol’ D.R. there could tell you stories you wouldn’t believe.”

Braham sounds weird saying DR, this rando Seraph sounds weird saying DR. They all sound weird.

Attachments:

Posted by: Ezekel.6394

Ezekel.6394

Have you never heard of someone talking about LA, and by that I mean Los Angeles and not Lion’s Arch?

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

LA, DC, Cali, NC. Every multi-word city name and some longer names are usually shortened by people. Humans are lazy creatures, if we can save time by shedding a couple syllables from a word in conversation then so-be-it. If you understand the context of the conversation then you can shorthand verbally with your conversational partner.

I’m sure you’ve never referenced anything in shorthand verbally right?

Posted by: Westwater.1095

Westwater.1095

It’s actually quite normal to abbreviate locations with too many syllables. I’m pretty sure not a single person who lives in Pennsylvania actually calls it that. It’s just “PA.”

Posted by: segman.3560

segman.3560

Looks like Tyria must be a USA state then. What would be the other reason to put musiras habits into fantasy world? So players from other countries feel disconnected?

Posted by: Ankushp.7245

Ankushp.7245

There are many instances where the dialogues of NPCs ingame are in the casual conversation style we use in our daily life……it has such a jarring effect on immersive gameplay. During the personal storyline I get so irritated when the rest of group calls my char “Boss”, it totally ruins the feel of the story. But that’s how it is….can’t do nething about it.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Looks like Tyria must be a USA state then. What would be the other reason to put musiras habits into fantasy world? So players from other countries feel disconnected?

It’s not unique to the USA though. As soon as I read the OP I was going to use the example of people calling Milton Keynes (large town north of London in England) MK.

I think the two letter abbreviations are less common in the UK simply because there’s fewer towns and cities whose names suit that system. But other kinds of abbreviations are very common. You’d be hard pressed to find anyone who’ll tell you they’re from Buckinghamshire or Oxfordshire, they’d say Bucks and Oxon.

So it just makes sense to me that people in Tyria would say LA and DR, or “The Reach” which is another one I’ve heard (possibly only from Marjory?).

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I… sort of see where the OP is coming from.

Divinity’s Reach is not just a city to the humans. It is their last capital, their last bastion of resistance from the brutal and monstrous creatures that threaten their entire race. You’d think they would show it a little more reverence.

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

How is abbreviating an overly long name a lack of reverence or weird or immersion breaking? I swear people try to find problems with everything.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

GuzziHero.2467

But can you imagine a group of catholic cardinals saying “Just popping down to VC to chill with the guy guy”.

It just sounds a little casual when the Reach is the last bastion of Kryta’s civilisation. I don’t find it an issue but I can see the point he is making.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

But can you imagine a group of catholic cardinals saying “Just popping down to VC to chill with the guy guy”.

It just sounds a little casual when the Reach is the last bastion of Kryta’s civilisation. I don’t find it an issue but I can see the point he is making.

The reach is the last bastion of Kryta’s civilization, but to people that live there, it’s not what they’d think about. There’s always a small percentage of people that are politically aware and a bunch of people that are just born and live. Not everyone takes a long view of history.

Do you have any idea how many people who live in NYC have never been to the Statue of Liberty? They don’t think about NY as being the melting pot, or the gateway to America, they think about the fact that rents are too high and they work too many hours.

Most people who live in most places take those places for granted.

L Step.8659

The inhabitants are casual every day people though, I’m sure they’d say like “Just popping down to LA to do some trading/work on rebuilding” , so I don’t see why it’s out of the realm to say DR.

Best NA rallybot on EU

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

almost every city gets nick names.
The only problem one may have with acronym based nick names, is if you think literacy is uncommon in tyria.

oh yeah, and nick names arent disrepectful.

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

I feel the same way as the OP (er, I mean the Original Poster)… “DR” just doesn’t sound right tripping off the tongue. I find myself avoiding the vicinity those NPCs whenever I can, just for that seemingly innocuous reason.

And for God’s sake, stop calling me “the Boss”! I was born in Tyria, not the USA!

Attachments:

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Hamfast.8719

Do you have any idea how many people who live in NYC have never been to the Statue of Liberty? They don’t think about NY as being the melting pot, or the gateway to America, they think about the fact that rents are too high and they work too many hours.

Ahh! I know it isn’t the point you are making, but “NYC” and “NY” are a couple of good examples. You see them in print like that all the time, but I can’t recall ever hearing anyone saying “NY” or “NYC” aloud. It’s always “New York” and “New York City”.

No set-in-stone rule for these things. “DR” just doesn’t sound right to me when I hear it said out loud. As far as I’m concerned, the DR is out.

Hamfast.8719

almost every city gets nick names.

How about “The Big Wheel” for Divinity’s Reach? (Naturally, the palace is at the hub).

L Step.8659

Probably because it’s the same amount of syllables to say NY or New York, however city has an extra syllable. You hear things like NYPD all the time though.

Best NA rallybot on EU

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Ahh! I know it isn’t the point you are making, but “NYC” and “NY” are a couple of good examples. You see them in print like that all the time, but I can’t recall ever hearing anyone saying “NY” or “NYC” aloud. It’s always “New York” and “New York City”.

No set-in-stone rule for these things. “DR” just doesn’t sound right to me when I hear it said out loud. As far as I’m concerned, the DR is out.

Number of syllables makes a large difference. As poster mentioned above, NYPD is mentioned often. We also have examples like Las Vegas often being shorthanded into Vegas, because it flows better than “LV.” I’m inclined to think DR should take the same verbal approach, shortened to “The Reach” or something, it would just flow better.

Cuddy.6247

Despite the discussion about the use of DR. I seem to be bothered by the use of the term “repetitive” in the caption. For the life of me, I can’t see what’s repetitive. Anyone care to enlighten?

Nevermind, I just learned that he says it like every 10 seconds.

(edited by Cuddy.6247)

Hamfast.8719

Probably because it’s the same amount of syllables to say NY or New York, however city has an extra syllable. You hear things like NYPD all the time though.

Like I said, there’s no set-in-stone rule. It either sounds right or it doesn’t, but we don’t get the opportunity to actually hear it said very often. What about the people who use voice chat? What do you guys say?

Cuddy.6247

Like I said, there’s no set-in-stone rule. It either sounds right or it doesn’t, but we don’t get the opportunity to actually hear it said very often. What about the people who use voice chat? What do you guys say?

No set “rules,” no, but in the real world it’s often decided by phonographic experts who then choose to publish shorthand in a magazine, an advertisement, a brochure, etc. Which then catches on and becomes public sentiment. Since there’s likely no editor in charge of appeal at ANet, like there is at a publication, it’s likely they never even bothered to proofread (and why would they…it’s a game, they’re not trying to publish the next Lolita).

(edited by Cuddy.6247)

Hamfast.8719

Despite the discussion about the use of DR. I seem to be bothered by the use of the term “repetitive” in the caption. For the life of me, I can’t see what’s repetitive. Anyone care to enlighten?

If you actually go there, he is repetitive. The NPC spouts this phrase pretty often. Or maybe it just SEEMS often, since you are usually standing there at the Bank for an extended period. It’s just as if you are standing at the bank in DR/Divinity’s Reach and hear the NPC say “I’m rich, you know” multiple times. But if the audio clip is something that grates on your nerves, it is going to seem even more repetitive.

(“More violets, less violence!” … Grr!)

(edited by Hamfast.8719)

phys.7689

i live here, we say nyc all the time.
people also say ny though not as much

people wont call manhattan nyc, because its only part of nyc.
essentially when people are talking about all 5 boros, the will say nyc.

phys.7689

DR is fine sounding, but it makes me think of Dominican Republic, likewise LA makes me think of los angeles, but i assume tyrians wouldnt have this problem

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Every culture uses shorthand for commonly repeated phrases or words, including acronyms (e.g. LA for Los Angeles or Lion’s Arch). Some cultures do it more, some do it less.

Some locals are more sensitive to some abbreviations: San Franciscans hate ‘Frisco’ for reasons lost to antiquity, some New Yawkers hate hearing ‘NYC’ (often because they think it’s a term used by DC politicians when denying the city a bailout), and I don’t know anyone from a certain first world nation in North America that accepts “USAian” to describe themselves.

In other words, I accept that the OP doesn’t like to hear NPCs refer to the human capital as ‘DR’. That’s their choice. I hope that the OP can accept that it isn’t the choice of many others (including many who live in Tyria).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

GuzziHero.2467

Personally, I find it detestable that the Welsh town of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is shortened to Llanfair PG on maps!

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

/laughs
Guzzi, I’ll have to hear you say that town name some time.

I know that “DR” has been in vogue among players for a long time, and in the RP community it’s been called “The Reach” since before launch. LA likewise gets called “The Arch.” Part of that is it’s just easier to type those fast when doing involved RP chat.

I was tickled when I heard that soldier in game call it “Dee Arr.” It made it sound more like he really is from the Reach and holds affection for it, enough to give it a nickname.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

There are of course plenty of real world cities that are abbreviated, but some cities don’t get abbreviated and I think it’s generally about aesthetics when it comes down to it. LA of course can be Lion’s Arch or Los Angelos and sounds normal. DR on the other hand sounds fuddly when it hits my ears.

Also I have never heard someone say “NYC” out loud. I must not be in an are where that is ever said. Whenever I see NYC written down I read it “New York City” both in my head and aloud. Saying “NYC” actually takes more tongue and mouth effort than just saying the actual city name so I’m surprised anyone says “NYC” out loud. I can only imagine it being said in rap or something.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

OP they are actually talking about defending Diminishing Returns. And everyone thought slyvari were evil…. Turns out it’s Queen Jenna

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

It’s not unique to the USA though. As soon as I read the OP I was going to use the example of people calling Milton Keynes (large town north of London in England) MK.

I think the two letter abbreviations are less common in the UK simply because

I think the two letter abbreviations are less common in the UK

the UK

:D

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Personally, I find it detestable that the Welsh town of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is shortened to Llanfair PG on maps!

Hlan-vyre-puhl-gwyn-gyhl-gogery-chwern-dro-buhl-hlan-tee-si-li-o-go-go-goch.

Try saying that after a few beers! Llanfair PG just rolls off the tongue

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: Duke Darkwood.4237

Duke Darkwood.4237

Personally, I blame Lord Faren.

It was funny when he did it, because he’s Lord Faren. But yeah, for it to catch on like it has…..

Personally, I think the residents’ nickname for the city should be “the Reach”.

I have no problem with LA for Lion’s Arch; it’s more of a multicultural hub, more… metropolitan, in some ways. I can well imagine it taking on the abbreviation as a nickname.

But DR shouldn’t be DR. “The Reach” has a better ring to it.