Nearly 1000hrs played, 1 exotic drop.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

I’ve played this game for 964 hours over the past 9 months, and have honestly only gotten 1 exotic drop throughout the entire time. This excludes map completion rewards by the way.

So, have I just got REALLY bad luck or something? How many Exotics have you guys gotten as drops and how many hours have you played?

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

I’ve played this game for 964 hours over the past 9 months, and have honestly only gotten 1 exotic drop throughout the entire time. This excludes map completion rewards by the way.

So, have I just got REALLY bad luck or something? How many Exotics have you guys gotten as drops and how many hours have you played?

You are forgetting an important part: Which aspect of the game do you play. Try going to fractals. Within 10 hours of play you will have looted an exotic, although Account Bound.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Look at my sig for reasons why

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Preyar.6783

Preyar.6783

Only places I’ve gotten non-account bound exotic drops is fractals and WvW

Wondrous Achiever \o/

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’ve never done Fractals, only been in WvW -total- maybe 2 hours. I have had maybe a total of 10? exotics drop. Just last week Dusk dropped off a level 6 raptor hatchling. I have approximately 1900-2000 hours.

Vol.5241

I’ve never done Fractals, only been in WvW -total- maybe 2 hours. I have had maybe a total of 10? exotics drop. Just last week Dusk dropped off a level 6 raptor hatchling. I have approximately 1900-2000 hours.

Dude can you post a screeny? Hopefully you took one after you got it (it’s a habit for me)

I didn’t think you could get Dusk from a downleveled character

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

Woah dude… This REALLY made me want to go orr farming… To bad its nerfed

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Lol…I’m not a ‘dude’, and I don’t think I took any screenies. Sorry. I was in too much shock. Lol. I wish I had taken a screenshot, though. But it did drop in Metrica off a Hatchling. =)

I should have waited until this week to sell it, though, it’s gone way up in price. =(

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

^
yep pretty much just really bad luck. I started getting more drops recently without doing anything (I even got a few exotic drops from meta events which was a surprise to me), but never do I get what I really want as a drop. For example I really wanted a monocle :/ but hell you can’t fight RNG in an MMO. All I can say is I wish you better luck!
edit: over 1000 hours played.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Precusors can drop off anything, for a level 80 character. It’s not real common though. But since you can get 80th level yellows and exotics in low level zones (I have), you can get precusors, since they’re on the exotic loot table.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

MF can work, but arent you basicly gimping your team by running a weaker gear?

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Im closer to 400 hours and ive only had one exotic drop.

Vol.5241

MF can work, but arent you basicly gimping your team by running a weaker gear?

1.) None of my exotic drops I included there came from dungeons. They’re all open world
2.) MF gear, especially those with power/precision/MF still contribute in DPS. Other stat combos, such as PVT I’d argue contributes less DPS

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

it’s open world, who honestly cares about what gear he is using

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

What activities do you do op?

I’ve gotten exotic drops from:
-World events
-Dungeons, primarily fotm
-WvW
-and living world (halloween chests).

Bad luck I guess :/

I opened over 4000 dragon coffers and got 1 ticket so far..

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

I got an exotic…..by buying it!

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Posted by: Balkanwarrior.5132

Balkanwarrior.5132

Erm, I see your sig. I got more exotics to drop without MF in southsun vs while I was wearing MF gear. Does this mean I can parade around telling people that what I’ve experienced is factual? MF did very little for me over the course of 300+ farming hours. The only consistency I noticed was more greens. At the end of the day, it’s still a numbers game when talking about drops. Personally IMO, drop rates for precursors especially, are way too low for MF to significantly affect. Maybe if we could document a small playerbase of farmers. couple hundred hours with and without mf gear. I could probably bet on both sides coming out equal give or take some greens/crafting materials. MAYBE 1-2 extra rares for either side, and MAYBE a few exotics scattered throughout the entire group.

Also, earlier today my server was doing a temple. Forget which one but I got a charged lodestone as a drop. 0% MF and several people in chat pinged their fully geared MF stuff beforehand. (we were having a discussion about drops).

Vol.5241

Erm, I see your sig. I got more exotics to drop without MF in southsun vs while I was wearing MF gear. Does this mean I can parade around telling people that what I’ve experienced is factual? MF did very little for me over the course of 300+ farming hours. The only consistency I noticed was more greens. At the end of the day, it’s still a numbers game when talking about drops. Personally IMO, drop rates for precursors especially, are way too low for MF to significantly affect. Maybe if we could document a small playerbase of farmers. couple hundred hours with and without mf gear. I could probably bet on both sides coming out equal give or take some greens/crafting materials. MAYBE 1-2 extra rares for either side, and MAYBE a few exotics scattered throughout the entire group.

Also, earlier today my server was doing a temple. Forget which one but I got a charged lodestone as a drop. 0% MF and several people in chat pinged their fully geared MF stuff beforehand. (we were having a discussion about drops).

You’re not going to notice much of an improvement unless you have a high kill rate per hour. Hours farming doesn’t tell much, nor does hours in game.

You could say you spent 100 hours farming CoE and compare it with 100 hours farming shelt/pen (the old) and the latter will always be more rewarding in the long run. Of course in the short-term you are bound to see the opposite happen

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

1700+

One from an Ooze in Cursed Shore, near Meddler’s.
One from a Young Karka over by the Omelette event.

Both on the same character. 1st was with no MF. 2nd was with the +10% from a guild banner.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Kaizer,
I really doubt what you are saying to be true.It is just not possible someone to have such awfull RNG.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I don’t do fractals but I try to do about 5 of the world events each day that I play. So far I’ve gotten 15 exotics from them. Other than that, about 2 settlers pieces in Southsun and a sword in Orr, that I can recall. Maybe one or two more. I don’t normally use magic find except sometimes food.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Account bound drops.. More motivation to play fractals.

I’m at 2400 hours, including lots and lots of tunnel and plans farming, even SOD Zerg back in the day.. Best I got was a final rest on the day they admitted correcting the drop bug for it.

It feels like they the game has a “bag” of loot it distributes from.. Over time, less exotics. I find most of my exotic drops come in bursts or right after a patch.

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

I am @ 900 hours and got a fair few, mostly of dungeon chests, I got one out a wvw chest this morning, it had the Zap skin, it was only 100 times as cheap :’(

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

Its well known , open world exploring is pointless for loot drops but the GD colin says there addressing this

[WM]give us in game ladder

Posted by: Amstel Steel.2058

Amstel Steel.2058

100% Magic Find doubles your chances for example .001×1=.001 .001+.001=.002

Magic Find is not applied to any chests, only mob drops which increases your chance at a higher tier for the drop and not the actual drop rate. So if you killed a mob the numbers would randomize and most likely register a white or a blue having the greater probabilities, afterwards MF kicks in. Using 100% as an example the item that was initially checked will check again but only against the next higher tier, in this case double the probability to check as either a blue from a white or an exotic from a rare.

MF excels in high kill rate zergs because you just need to tag the target. Everything else is relevant to how fast you can kill versus how much you could have compromised your damage or survivability.

Also last I remember there were world loot tables and fractal loot tables which could explain why MF works better in fotm versus world dungeons. Although I did hear cof1 speed runs can make use of mf without compromising overall team damage output.

In a dungeon even 1% MF is better than 0% since it at least checks a second time against the next highest tier for example .001×.01=.00001 .001+.00001=.00101 This is far better than simply checking against it once.

I don’t know how accurate any of this though.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Kaizer,
I really doubt what you are saying to be true.It is just not possible someone to have such awfull RNG.

Same thing for me. I have only slightly less hours played than he does, but I only got an exotic drop once.

Regardless, I have 4 characters wearing exotics.

In GW2, having exotics as drops or not is irrelevant when there are 100% guaranteed ways to get them. Not buying from other players (which isn’t exactly 100% guaranteed), but rather from playing through dungeons, buying with karma or badges of honor, crafting, and so on.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Crawford.4135

Crawford.4135

Welcome to AION 2

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

I’ve gotten quite a few exotic, but perhaps not many more than ten (could be less, could be more.)

My first exotic monster drop ever was an Exotic axe, obtained during September last year from a Risen Chicken on Malchor’s Leap, just after I killed the huge Golem at the event east of the map (oddly enough, THAT Golem dropped a white axe. :P)

Hopefully I get The Colossus from a Risen Chicken soon. :PPPPPPP

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Took me 769h for my first exotic drop. Drops in this game are known to be pathetic

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Medazolam.3058

Medazolam.3058

When talking about drops, hours played isn’t nearly as a meaningful stat as total kills. I know we don’t have access to that number, but I am sure you get the point.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I’ve played since headstart and I’ll be honest this is one of the reasons why I don’t even bother anymore. Maybe I’m spoiled by games like Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 but I don’t think so. Why bother chasing your tail for hundreds of hours for no reason when other games actually give you rewards for time spent.

Ps. Still haven’t gotten a Legendary in TL2 but the other drops make up for it.

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: Ainianu.5693

Ainianu.5693

1500 hours here, 5x level 80’s and have done all dungeons a great many times
i have found 2 exotics to date… settlers ring in southsun (a month ago) and the shoulders from the recent jumping puzzle

Vayne.8563

Exotics are automatic for clearing the highest level zones, too. But many of them are so cheap on the marketplace, I’m not sure why it’s such a big deal.

I’ve gotten more exotic drops than most people here, but most of them aren’t worth much (particularly the account bound ones I get from Fractals).

IndigoSundown.5419

Exotics are automatic for clearing the highest level zones, too. But many of them are so cheap on the marketplace, I’m not sure why it’s such a big deal.

I’ve gotten more exotic drops than most people here, but most of them aren’t worth much (particularly the account bound ones I get from Fractals).

I see it as a matter of principle. A major difference between GW and all of those other games was that you could get equipment (i.e., weapons, in that game) that were max tier as drops. Weapons you might actually want to use.

I suppose when I was awaiting GW2, I expected that max tier equipment would drop with somewhat greater frequency than it does. It’s nice that we can craft exotics — although jewelers took an Ascended ring to the knee. Still, I think there is something wrong when I’ve gotten 1 more exotic from the Mystic Toilet than I have as drops over 1700 hours (and a lot of mob kills) — and I’ve spent less than 15 gold on items to put into the darned thing.

Vayne.8563

I see it as a matter of principle. A major difference between GW and all of those other games was that you could get equipment (i.e., weapons, in that game) that were max tier as drops. Weapons you might actually want to use.

I suppose when I was awaiting GW2, I expected that max tier equipment would drop with somewhat greater frequency than it does. It’s nice that we can craft exotics — although jewelers took an Ascended ring to the knee. Still, I think there is something wrong when I’ve gotten 1 more exotic from the Mystic Toilet than I have as drops over 1700 hours (and a lot of mob kills) — and I’ve spent less than 15 gold on items to put into the darned thing.

Maybe, or maybe the Mystic Forge is supposed to be a path to getting exotics. It all doesn’t have to be drops.

At any rate, I think there has to be something bugged in the drop rate, if people who play a lot aren’t getting them…assuming they’re doing the same types of things I am.

Mostly I get them in dungeons and fractals, zone completions of course, and occasionally from the meta event chests.

But the forge is just another way to get them too. It’s like Anet hedged their bets. Between crafting and the forge, even if they don’t drop for someone,. they’re attainable.

And you know, I had the same problem in Guild Wars 1, or a very similar one. In Guild Wars 1, it was so easy to get max stuff, almost nothing that dropped exited me at all. I mean yeah the ocassional lockpick drop, or the ocassional black/white dye drop, but most drops in Guild Wars 1, after a time, were less than meaningless.

Guild Wars 2 seems to suffer a similar problem.

Posted by: Basharic.1654

Basharic.1654

Just over 2k hours played since launch. I think my random exotic count is somewhere around 5-6, I know I’ve gotten at least 2, possibly 3, just off of random chests in Orr. Not the big event ones; the lil ones that are usually guarded by a vet.

My most recent was off Claw just yesterday. The guaranteed rare was a named exotic staff.

IndigoSundown.5419

Maybe, or maybe the Mystic Forge is supposed to be a path to getting exotics. It all doesn’t have to be drops.

At any rate, I think there has to be something bugged in the drop rate, if people who play a lot aren’t getting them…assuming they’re doing the same types of things I am.

Mostly I get them in dungeons and fractals, zone completions of course, and occasionally from the meta event chests.

But the forge is just another way to get them too. It’s like Anet hedged their bets. Between crafting and the forge, even if they don’t drop for someone,. they’re attainable.

And you know, I had the same problem in Guild Wars 1, or a very similar one. In Guild Wars 1, it was so easy to get max stuff, almost nothing that dropped exited me at all. I mean yeah the ocassional lockpick drop, or the ocassional black/white dye drop, but most drops in Guild Wars 1, after a time, were less than meaningless.

In game experience may vary. In GW, a gold drop never ailed to catch my interest. If nothing else, it was +1 to wisdom title. Also, I had a lot of alts, and after Nightfall came out, I had a lot of heroes to gear up. Then there were mods and inscriptions. Here, it’s maybe ecto, maybe a sigil that sells for more than 3s — otherwise yawn.

And I had more black dye drops in GW, also. ;D

Vayne.8563

In game experience may vary. In GW, a gold drop never ailed to catch my interest. If nothing else, it was +1 to wisdom title. Also, I had a lot of alts, and after Nightfall came out, I had a lot of heroes to gear up. Then there were mods and inscriptions. Here, it’s maybe ecto, maybe a sigil that sells for more than 3s — otherwise yawn.

And I had more black dye drops in GW, also. ;D

It was plus 1 to my wisdom title until I got my wisdom title. And green drops ended up, for the most part, being worth nothing at all. Vendor trash.

I had a ton of alts too, but I also had a lot of free stuff I could give them, such as the hour glass staff, and the those sorts of things. You could have an infinite number of them just by typing /bonus. So I never really had trouble outfitting heroes.

And I get drops here that have runes that are worth what most ruins and insignias are worth in Guild Wars 2…or the equivalent. And yes, when I do get an exotic or something with a superior rune of divinity (which I’ve done twice) it’s quite special.

But I remember running dungeons in Guild Wars 1, getting to the end chest, getting a gold item or two in hard mode, and thinking meh…an awful lot in fact.

Posted by: gillius.2856

gillius.2856

hehe sound like you have the same luck as me..

my mates seem to get loads more good drops, they get extra rares from bosses while i just get blues and greens..:(… sometimes i think i have perma DR …. but i know i couldnt right….. i guess its just rotten luck

Posted by: SadieDeAtreia.8912

SadieDeAtreia.8912

Back in plinx days I got around 1 exotic every 2 hours or so. Loads of rares… Pen/Shelt run wasn’t as good but I still got 3+ exotics there per week. Anet won’t tolerate that kind of exploitation though, so they systematically killed all viable farming spots.

If you want decent rewards for time spent, play something else.

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

I didn’t start getting exotic drops until about 1000hrs and even then they are few and far between. (Mostly Southsun 200% MF – settlers trinkets and 1 shield of the moon)
Apart from that I have gotten the rest from Temple/Meta boss chests. Total at about 7 now.
I will never understand the reasoning behind nerfing a farming event that drops loot vs allowing a dungeon that rewards gold. One can only be sold with a 15% tax/gold sink while the other promotes inflation on desirable goods.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I had around 20 Exotic drops in open world so far. Just play a class and weapon which has AoE (i used to play Engineer), wear full magic find gear, join a group, go orr farming. Ok, this isn’t popular anymore unfortunately, but it happend that i got around 1 exotic per day. I actually was farming for my legendary back in December. It was pretty neat.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

theres a picture in the ice shaman fractal; i was too lazy to check any after that

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

Vol.5241

theres a picture in the ice shaman fractal; i was too lazy to check any after that

Just went through my album, looks like I also included my dungeon exotics (which I never wear MF gear). I’ll clean it up.

Either way my open world exotic count is well above 70. If I were to include all my dungeon stuff I’d figure +20/30

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Bast Bow.2958

Bast Bow.2958

800 hrs played. 2 exotic drops, both WvW which I spend most time in.

Some fractal account bound exotic things but those are lame imo and not really exotics.

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

< over 2k hours (yes; no life i know)
ive had over a dozen (non map completion) exos drop

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

Nearly 1900 hours played in 10 Months and I don’t care

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Nalora.7964

Nalora.7964

I have played since BWE1, I have gotten 1 exotic drop exactly one day before I had played the game a year.

Months ago I just began to pretend that drops in the game did not exist at all, so that I would not be sad while playing.

DEMAND Bunny Slippers and a bathrobe!