Need advice... Worth starting gw2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Yeah its worth of playing,and dont listen those people that saying how game has no end game,it has endgame same as other games-same as WOW.You do dungeons,PVP,explore,crafting and World Events.Game gets patches every 2 weeks.Im lvl 80 and i have things to do unlike those other that says that there isn’t .

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

The view on the forums is likely to be skewed towards a “no don’t bother” answer.

My advice to the OP would be to check out some reviews, go check some youtube videos, and take anything said on the forum with a large grain of salt. If you like what you’re reading in reviews and game articles, and like what you’re seeing on youtube (and even twitch, they have their own channel), then try catching a free trial and investing some time into the game that way. They are having like a week long free trial right now, which should net you quite a bit of game play, upon which you can base the final decision of whether it feels like the game is ‘right’ for you.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

It’s nothing like GW1 that’s for sure. It has a lot of problems, and things that aren’t appealing to me as a massive GW1 fan. That being said, it still is Anet, and I am still hopeful that they will get their act together and make this game better. So buy it, and if you don’t like it at it’s current state, then you can wait until it does.

At the moment, I’m feeling that it isn’t the right game for me anymore, with how they’ve introduced so much stuff that detracts from their manifesto.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

In short, No. I’m stuck with the game as I’ve already paid for it but with the way ANet is botching each and every patch again and again I might even stop regardless.

The view on the forums is likely to be skewed towards a “no don’t bother” answer.

My advice to the OP would be to check out some reviews, go check some youtube videos, and take anything said on the forum with a large grain of salt. If you like what you’re reading in reviews and game articles, and like what you’re seeing on youtube (and even twitch, they have their own channel), then try catching a free trial and investing some time into the game that way. They are having like a week long free trial right now, which should net you quite a bit of game play, upon which you can base the final decision of whether it feels like the game is ‘right’ for you.

Keep in mind any reviews will be of the game before ANet decided to pump out crap updates every 2 weeks to spur gem store purchases so will be unreliable.

Posted by: Aidan.4602

Aidan.4602

I would say it is worth a try, this MMO feels very different from all the rest and it takes some time to get used to.

Once you get used to it though it is amazing, and content every 2 weeks (actuall content as in new dungeons and new places to explore that is playtime worth for many days) will keep you busy :P

But yeah, a positive responce from me. The game is good but these forums are full of people who just want to complain.
Complain about easy content and then complain about hard content. Have even seen people complain about too much content.

So yeah.

Few days ago I’ve seen topics such as “Why only new TA path in next patch?”
So, yeah.
People just love to complain, nothing new here. Been for centuries like that.

Aidan Vilesight, a Charr engineer – Desolation

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Keep in mind any reviews will be of the game before ANet decided to pump out crap updates every 2 weeks to spur gem store purchases so will be unreliable.

There have been articles and reviews and interviews since then.

Just because you do not like the living story updates, does not mean that everyone is of the same opinion.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

a legendary garbage collector

hahahahha

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

In gw2 you stay in place and watch the auto attack animation while drinking coffe.

SOOO ACTIVE.

Go into a dungeon with that kind of playstyle and you will be destroyed.

No, not really. That’s exactly what I do in every area of GW2. Except I’m spamming 3 on about every one of my weapon sets (thief). Totally active gameplay, lol.

There is nothing amazing about GW2 combat because the skill system is garbage, it has a ton of potential but they haven’t done anything with it.

Now if thief had GW1 assassin combo’s it would be a ton more active instead of spamming 1 button forever. Would be nice not to be confined into what skills ANet deems us allowed to use also. I have a useless button on every weapon set that I can’t change out.

Someone really compared WoW to GW2 rotation… ?? Clearly you haven’t played WoW because the effort to get your DPS going is about a billion times more than GW2, it’s not especially difficult but in comparison this game has no rotations just spam whatever.

And on topic.. if you’re a GW1 fan I would suggest not disappointing yourself, it’s pretty much the exact opposite of GW2 and ANet have ignored every concern the vets had with this game and added a ton of grind, vertical progression, and add to that it is still missing the most basic of features that GW1 or any other MMO had/has.

If you like blinding particle effects and being a legendary garbage collector go for it.

This game does have skill rotations, claiming that it doesn’t just shows that you’re bad at the game.

Please, show us a video of you spamming one button against Lupicus.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

GW2 is a mediocre MMO with pretty character models.

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

Maybe, just maybe, there is a reason why the boards are leaning in that direction.

Posted by: ArmoredVehicle.2849

ArmoredVehicle.2849

MY Opinion:

Don’t bother, It’s nothing like the good old GW1. There’s no end game and I have a feeling that it’s turning into a grind fest even more everyday. Like you I was very excited in the beginning, now I barely play actively for more than 2 hours.

In the end GW2 for me isn’t any better than all those F2P games I’ve played and quit always for the same reasons – grind, monotonous gameplay, greedy developer.

As already been said, don’t trust the reviews they’ve been written before the game was like this, best of all, reviews are based on the opinion and view of the reviewer. If there’s a huge negativity here on the forums, that in itself says something.

If I had to review the game 10 months ago I’d have told you buy it now. But now I’m just telling you to avoid it.

Trying the free trial might give you a good impression of the game but keep in mind how would the game be in the long run and if it’s gonna be worth it in the end.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Run away! run away like it’s the plague! It was too late for me but at least I can save someone else!

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Maybe, just maybe, there is a reason why the boards are leaning in that direction.

I think you’ll find that the forums of every AAA MMO is slanted towards negativity. Humans as a whole like to complain more than compliment and people certainly dont go out of their way to post compliments on forums.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

For me personally there isn’t much to play. So no, not worth it.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

If you like GW1 is defeinitely not Worth it.
If you lik old school mmorpgs like lineage, wow etc this game is for you.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

A slight correction

If you like GW1 is defeinitely not Worth it.
If you lik old school mmorpgs zerg and grind mmorpgs like lineage, wow etc this game is for you.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

My advice gw2 are desperately in need of new players because their player base are dropping like flies.That’s why they are giving out free trials now and dolling out more cash shop only items.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Its because the majority of the people who like it are playing it so yes i agree there is a reason .

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Its because the majority of the people who like it are playing it so yes i agree there is a reason .

Yah, same exact line that was repeated while AAA MMOs couldnt keep enough players to sustain P2P model, went F2P and layed off half of their staff.

Same line that was said when WoW lost 5 million players.

Carry on.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Yah, same exact line that was repeated while AAA MMOs couldnt keep enough players to sustain P2P model, went F2P and layed off half of their staff.

Carry on.

Depends on which MMO. You actually make more money in a F2P model than a P2P, but initially going P2P is a good way to take back some of the money you invested to make the game from the initial rush of new players, so a lot of MMOs start with a P2P them go F2P.

You need less people to keep developing content for a game than to make a game, so of course you get a lot of layoffs.

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Carry on.

Depends on which MMO. You actually make more money in a F2P model than a P2P, but initially going P2P is a good way to take back some of the money you invested to make the game from the initial rush of new players, so a lot of MMOs start with a P2P them go F2P.

You need less people to keep developing content for a game than to make a game, so of course you get a lot of layoffs.

Yes, im sure all those planned on losing 80-90% of their players, going F2P and laying off half of their core staff. oh wait…no they didnt.

Blizzard said WoW will evetually go F2P. Do you know when? WHEN THEY LOSE ENOUGH PLAYERS SO ITS ACTUALLY MORE MONEY.

One thing i assure you: all thos games would still be P2P if they could keep ENOUGH players, but they couldnt.

And posts like Adines surely didnt help all those games keep players. Players that bought a box and WERE WILLING to pay sub.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by MikaHR.1978)