Needing 10,000 of single item not grindy?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

Think of it like in real life. For example: you already have a car that is functional but you want a fancier looking car so you have to ‘grind’ and ‘farm’ more $$$ to get what you want. You don’t need to force yourself to get what you want; you can be content what you already have.

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

Running your daily circle for ori and wood. What is the purpose of running to those nodes. Because you are on the way to somewhere?

So you are telling me I am doing it wrong if I do not spend half an hour a day running around gathering stuff instead of playing the game?
Are you serious, you can not see the grind that is right in front of your eyes?

Yes your doing it wrong still. I havn’t ran around gathering those in months cause i changed my method and having fun while getting materials. Play the game not try to grind for those and you will see different results. Hell i don’t run to all the World bosses just to get my daily rare for some ecto. I get my rares from drops from playing and I get a lot of rares cause I play for fun. I have 3 ascended weapons and have enough materials to make another 9 from just playing. Did i grind? Nope didnt even make an effort but here i am with enough materials.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

But it is like in Soviet Russia, we were all promised a car with the same motor.
Just the design would be different.

Now, the elites get bigger cars. That is like Russia after Soviet times. Welcome to capitalism.

Kaiyanwan.8521

Running your daily circle for ori and wood. What is the purpose of running to those nodes. Because you are on the way to somewhere?

So you are telling me I am doing it wrong if I do not spend half an hour a day running around gathering stuff instead of playing the game?

Yes your doing it wrong still. I havn’t ran around gathering those in months cause i changed my method and having fun while getting materials. Play the game not try to grind for those and you will see different results. Hell i don’t run to all the World bosses just to get my daily rare for some ecto. I get my rares from drops from playing and I get a lot of rares cause I play for fun. I have 3 ascended weapons and have enough materials to make another 9 from just playing. Did i grind? Nope didnt even make an effort but here i am with enough materials.

Type /age
See result.

You are not the average player. You play so much that you get alot of stuff.

It is like telling people playing an asian grinder, the game is not grindy, just kill stuff at your own pace and you will sooner or later level up…

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

I agree with OP hole heatedly. By now I have become a casual player which means I don’t NEED anything just to play the game anymore. I don’t grind and therefore am not entitled to any of the new shinnies. Through this logic I also don’t need any thing from the BLTP either. I don’t need extra bank space or character slots; no dyes, minis or costumes. In fact I don’t need anything. I login and do my dailies; work on my monthlies from time to time; complete living world content and and that’s it.

The first year I spent about 300€ In the game shop. But since I don’t NEED anything anymore so far in the second year I have spent 0€. Why should I? I’m just a casual player!

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I both agree and disagree with all of this. I don’t like grind and I feel 15,000 of something is a lot. But to be completely honest, I’ve spent maybe a total of 4 hours in the Labyrinthe over the past week and I have ~1200 candy corn. I was just leveling alts in there because lets face it that place is amazing for leveling alts. I have a feeling that as long as I hold onto all of this candy corn that by the time this event is over in a month I will have that 15,000.

IIRC, the other LS events that gave bags as rewards only gave one. Perhaps the 15,000 number is set so that you only get one bag if you play normally with the option for more if you choose to grind for it? 20-slot bags are pretty valuable, you know. If it was 2-3000 per bag then everyone and their alts would have them and completely destroy that market.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

If you are grinding for ascended weapons then your just doing it wrong and should rethink your stragey. Like i said before: Time gated is not equal to grind.

Oh cool how do I get empyreal fragments without grinding jp’s/chests?

Suddenflame.2601

Type /age
See result.

It is like telling people playing an asian grinder, the game is not grindy, just kill stuff at your own pace and you will sooner or later level up…

1600hrs. based on that number I am a causal player. Congratz you proved nothing. I got 9300AP which based on leaderboards is not that high either.

Which doing some math states i been playing less than 4hrs per day.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

(edited by Suddenflame.2601)

Suddenflame.2601

If you are grinding for ascended weapons then your just doing it wrong and should rethink your stragey. Like i said before: Time gated is not equal to grind.

I get them from playing WvW. They drop from camp supervisors and other things. Also the wiki states they can be dropped from any chest. So just open a chest and you can get some.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

(edited by Suddenflame.2601)

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

Grind is a seriously subjective term, before we go too far with this.

rizzo.1079

I get them from playing WvW. They drop from camp supervisors and other things. Also the wiki states they can be dropped from any chest. So just open a chest and you can get some.

Ah I see…thing is, I don’t do WvW, I don’t really like doing jp’s over again after I’ve done them once and I don’t run across chests frequently enough to get 500 of them in a reasonable amount of time. So I’m pretty much forced to grind jp’s/chest locations if I want an ascended weapon.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Grind is a seriously subjective term, before we go too far with this.

He is right

on another note, I can’t figure out how decisions like this (10K something for anything) passed through the necessary approvals to reach production.-

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Kaiyanwan.8521

1600hrs. based on that number I am a causal player. Congratz you proved nothing. I got 9300AP which based on leaderboards is not that high either.

You are a funny one.

Over roughly a period of 400 days since release you spend 200 working days (8h a day) on GW2. working five days a week means you spent 40 weeks of work on this game…
I really hope you are sarcastic with this casual thing, if not, well, sorry.

Suddenflame.2601

Ah I see…thing is, I don’t do WvW, I don’t really like doing jp’s over again after I’ve done them once and I don’t run across chests frequently enough to get 500 of them in a reasonable amount of time. So I’m pretty much forced to grind jp’s/chest locations if I want an ascended weapon.

Well if you want the fragments that much just look at the wiki. It will tell you the location of all chests that can contain fragments. There is many chests not associated with Jps that can have fragments.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Empyreal_Fragment

Take a look. Dragonite Ore technically is the only one that needs to be “grinded” since it only comes from Keep lords, Castle lords, and World bosses.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Ahlen.7591

You are a funny one.

Over roughly a period of 400 days since release you spend 200 working days (8h a day) on GW2. working five days a week means you spent 40 weeks of work on this game…

It’s only 4 hours a day, if he played every day. Or 28 hours a week.

While that’s not super casual…it’s still probably middle of the pack for playtime.

rizzo.1079

Well if you want the fragments that much just look at the wiki. It will tell you the location of all chests that can contain fragments. There is many chests not associated with Jps that can have fragments.

Take a look. Dragonite Ore technically is the only one that needs to be “grinded” since it only comes from Keep lords, Castle lords, and World bosses.

Exactly, I have to go find chests and open them daily, which is not the way I generally play the game, in order to get enough mats. Dragonite comes from exactly the same amount of places that the fragments come from.

Kaiyanwan.8521

The calculation is correct.

Suddenflame.2601

You are a funny one.

1600hrs / 5hrs = 320. So if I was to play 5hrs per day I would have 1600hrs in less than a year. I go to School and work as well have a GF. Casual yes I am. There is people more casual than me yes but there is probably equally just as many people that play more than me.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I’m with the crowd that decided at once that getting that many of something was simply not worth it. I guess I’m a casual player (usually 2 hrs/day more on weekends); I’ve got maybe 800-900 hrs into the game. I do the meta events when I feel they’re achievable, do not do them if I don’t think they are or I won’t enjoy getting them (i.e. dungeons, jumping puzzles). I’m making some coin selling the halloween materials on the TP, since I have gathered some while going for the meta. So, thanks to all those who do want to make the stuff

I agree with another poster that said after 80, you pretty much grind something. Whether it’s gold for buying things off TP, or legendary, or ascended, or PvP champion title, or halloween recipes, etc etc etc etc. Unless you get the RNG gods smiling on you with an awesome drop, you’re “going for” something. Even leveling alts is technically a grind since in MY opinion, grind is doing something more than once. I.E. in most video games you play through the game, beat the boss, put it away and buy a new game. Obviously in GW2 it always comes down to end game… you like it and do the “grind” or you put it away and buy a new game.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Kaiyanwan.8521

5 hours a week is casual. Even less. You sir, are a hardcore gamer.

Suddenflame.2601

Exactly, I have to go find chests and open them daily, which is not the way I generally play the game, in order to get enough mats. Dragonite comes from exactly the same amount of places that the fragments come from.

Saddly dragonite comes from less places. It may not how you play but it is good to go out and try new things or to replay areas. Such as redoing JPs and minidungeons you havnt played yet or havn’t played in months. Also could bring other people. Such as i tend to help newer people when I do JPs.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Ahlen.7591

Saddly dragonite comes from less places. It may not how you play but it is good to go out and try new things or to replay areas. Such as redoing JPs and minidungeons you havnt played yet or havn’t played in months. Also could bring other people. Such as i tend to help newer people when I do JPs.

I actually have so much dragonite it’s starting to fill my bank. World bosses are pretty clearly tracked, and are the best source of dragonite there is.

Posted by: EgonVenkman.1907

EgonVenkman.1907

Unless you just buy your way with the trading post, It is quite illogical to assume you can amass the necessary materials by participating in the content provided.

To acquire 10,000 of the material within 30 days, you need to loot 322-333 per day, every day. While this may be obtainable with candy corn, the current drop rates of the skulls/nougat/spiders would require either incredible luck, or a significantly extended play time every day, supposing you don’t get smacked by the Diminishing Returns.

For the 15k bag, that goes up to 484-500 per day(depending on 30/31 day effort).

This type of grind might have been acceptable if the content would be permanently added to the game, but within a single month timeline, it is outside of any normal person’s potential.

You really have to wonder what the devs were thinking when they designed such insane requirements.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.”
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-guild-wars-2-preview?page=3

Suddenflame.2601

I actually have so much dragonite it’s starting to fill my bank. World bosses are pretty clearly tracked, and are the best source of dragonite there is.

I don’t do World Bosses often so I have even less of it. I got a ton of fragments and dust tho just cause they appear often in locations where I play. World Bosses I have to go out of my way to kill them mind you I do find it fun doing Dwayna since there is the priestess fight that very little people come to help so it becomes like 3 people against it.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

rizzo.1079

Your definition of grind is definitely different than mine, as is the way you play for fun apparently. Happily, the way you play apparently allowed you to get 1500 fragments since ascended was released(I think you said you had 3 ascended weapons), while I’ve had to grind just to get 100. Grats!

Kaiyanwan.8521

I have 3 ascended weapons and have enough materials to make another 9 from just playing. .

A bit more he said.

ozmaniandevil.6805

Suddenflame, there is usually a world boss “train” going nightly after reset. If you need dragonite then you might want to join the train a couple nights a week. People call out waypoints in map chat, and most people will be willing to party up to make it easier.

Suddenflame.2601

Playing 5 hours a day is not casual. If you think that is normal, you need help.

That’s quite rude, trying to dictate what other people do in their lives.

I go to work 9 hours a day, school 2 hours a day, have a wife and still find time to play. It’s all about time management.

He already lost any connection to reality if he thinks, spending 5 hours on a computer game a day is casual. I might get an infraction for this, but seriously, loosing grasp to reality is a sign to get help.

Dude as stated I have a GF, go to School (University 4th year Full Time Student with 5 classes) and work (22hrs per week during school and 40hrs per week during summer). Do I loose connection to reality? no. Do I play that much? Yes. Where do I find time is the better question isn’kitten

[GWAM] and [LUST]

rizzo.1079

I have 3 ascended weapons and have enough materials to make another 9 from just playing. .

A bit more he said.

Oh kitten so that’s 6000 fragments…if I’m not mistaken it takes 500 per wep? I don’t think I’ve gotten that many dragonite and blodstone combined. Double grats I guess?

Suddenflame.2601

Your definition of grind is definitely different than mine, as is the way you play for fun apparently. Happily, the way you play apparently allowed you to get 1500 fragments since ascended was released(I think you said you had 3 ascended weapons), while I’ve had to grind just to get 100. Grats!

I flip camps often and attack towers often as well plus I did my daily JPs (2 in LA. I would do the one for the Daily achievement and the other just cause i like hearing the captain and his shark.)

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Suddenflame.2601

A bit more he said.

Oh kitten so that’s 6000 fragments…if I’m not mistaken it takes 500 per wep? I don’t think I’ve gotten that many dragonite and blodstone combined. Double grats I guess?

Bloodstone is far far too easy I currently got like 38 bricks with 7 piles of 250 just sitting in bank. Its really really not hard to get and i get it way too often.

FYI I have never done a champ train.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

rizzo.1079

I guess you get a lot more than the 0-4 or so per jp chest from doing WvW stuff?

Suddenflame.2601

I guess you get a lot more than the 0-4 or so per jp chest from doing WvW stuff?

Don’t keep track. I do it for fun not for the rewards. I just deposit all materials without looking usually. Only time i look is when the bank is full and i actually have to deal with it.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

rizzo.1079

Don’t keep track. I do it for fun not for the rewards. I just deposit all materials without looking usually. Only time i look is when the bank is full and i actually have to deal with it.

Well grats then you’re way of playing for fun seems to be the most efficient way of farming both bloodstone and fragments! Wow!

Suddenflame.2601

Techincally the only material i am actively farming is Charged Quartz but its time gated material.

The only other time I had to actively grind was Dragonite Ore to make my 2nd weapon and that was weeks ago. I managed to get that dragonite ore in 3 days (would have been faster if i knew more than 1 character per day per chest on the first day. Plus if i had more than 3 lvl80s with 100% map completion).

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Suddenflame.2601

Well grats then you’re way of playing for fun seems to be the most efficient way of farming both bloodstone and fragments! Wow!

Seems to be even tho I am starting to hate having store all that bloodstone since i dont want waste any more obsidian.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Kaiyanwan.8521

Source:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-guild-wars-2-preview

Colin Johanson:

“Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base. The rare stuff becomes the really awesome looking armours. It’s all about collecting the unique looking stuff and collecting all the other rare collectable items in the game: armour pieces, potentially different potions – a lot of that is still up in the air and we’ll finalise a lot of those reward systems as we get closer to release. And those come off of things like the bosses at the end of dungeons – the raids.”

Edit: Oh, someone deleted his post… ^^

Suddenflame.2601

Also now that I am able to log on (I was away from my main comp) I have 1693hrs in 419 days which is 4hrs per day.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

We should have had at least some consumables sold for reasonable amounts of candy corn, so easy/intermediate sized rewards are available. The way it is now, either you go for the epic grind, or you skip the event.

Ahlen.7591

What pieces are we talking about?

Bloodstone…well that stuff is everywhere.
Dragonite Ore You get between 4-22 from doing world bosses.
Emp Shards you get 22 from doing fractals/dungeon paths.

rizzo.1079

What pieces are we talking about?

Bloodstone…well that stuff is everywhere.
Dragonite Ore You get between 4-22 from doing world bosses.
Emp Shards you get 22 from doing fractals/dungeon paths.

Shards…you get like 0-4 from open world/jp chests. Dungeons aren’t fun so I don’t do them.

ozmaniandevil.6805

We should have had at least some consumables sold for reasonable amounts of candy corn, so easy/intermediate sized rewards are available. The way it is now, either you go for the epic grind, or you skip the event.

I agree with you.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

There is an obvious reason anet has done this. As another poster mentioned, there is a huge amount of candy corn floating around. They made a mistake last year and made the corn far too easy to get, which they corrected this year. Now they have added in these recipes to empty the economy of the excess corn.

This should come to no surprise to the GW1 vets as they did the same thing in GW1, with the same reaction from the player base. Many players where very upset with that decision as well.

During the Canthan New Year for 2007, you could get a mini pig. These where incredibly easy to get and many players had dozens of them. They where given away, sold and trash canned as no one really needed so many.
During the Canthan New Year of 2008, they added a vender to turn 5 mini pigs in to a mini celestial pig. The players who got rid of all their extra pigs flipped out, and there where many unhappy people, but also many happy people who kept their extras.

It did do exactly what the devs wanted whoever, it removed all the extra mini pigs from the economy. This will remove all the extra candy corn. Same devs, same solution to a similar problem.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

You have an entire month to collect those items.
Also, minipets aren’t BiS gear so who cares? If you really want them badly go farm, else don’t.
Nothing changes from a gameplay perspective.

In GW1 the FoW armor had the same stats as Droks armor and it required bazillions of ectos and shards.

And you could get it over your entire GW1 lifespan. You weren’t required to do it in a selected few weeks. So, irrelevant comparison.

No, it’s totally relevant. GW1 had a ton of grind. Hall of Monuments anyone? Title points?

FoW armor, Vabbian Armor, tormented and destroyer sets…

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

You have an entire month to collect those items.
Also, minipets aren’t BiS gear so who cares? If you really want them badly go farm, else don’t.
Nothing changes from a gameplay perspective.

In GW1 the FoW armor had the same stats as Droks armor and it required bazillions of ectos and shards.

And you could get it over your entire GW1 lifespan. You weren’t required to do it in a selected few weeks. So, irrelevant comparison.

The polar bear from Christmas would like to speak to you.

And I’d like to speak to it and then punch it in the head. I farmed those Christmas instances thousands of times over a few years without a single sighting….

I was referring to the FoW armour though.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Type /age
See result.

9300 AP is not that high? In a NA leaderboard, 3500 AP would put you in top 10% of players. 9300 is most likely top 2-3%. And 4 hours a day is anything but casual. So is playing every day – even if it’s just for daily. If you can call all that “not that high”, then you’d better be aware that your idea of what is casual is way off the mark.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

ozmaniandevil.6805

I’m not casual… I’m an addict… muuuuussst get dailies… :-/

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

Nothing should ever require more than 250. It’s all you can stack in the storage dedicated for this purpose. Unfortunately ANet do seem to have fallen into the lazy content style of adding grind. Forcing players to grind twice as long for an item is not the equivalent content as doing two different things for half that effort, but why add two things when you can be lazy and add one?

In order to get the Halloween bag, I am told you need 15k candy corns (far more than I am willing to try and obtain by the way). Anyway, given that stuff only stacks to 250 in our inventory, you need to make sure you have 60, SIXTY, free slots in your bank otherwise you will not be able to hold this mountain of candy corn. 60 … (facepalm)

Posted by: Scar Rufo.7935

Scar Rufo.7935

From what I have seen in the game, all the cosmetic/skins/bling is very expensive in time or gold. 15,000 candy corn @ a penny (.01) copper if you buy it is 150 gold and no one would even see my Halloween Bucket; er not for me. A 20 slot bag rune is only 10 gold and that would be the best way to get one. You would only need 4 inventory slots; the corn trader will give you a super-cob for a 1000 Candy-corn.

Posted by: Fitz.5637

Fitz.5637

What is the amount of time that defines a ‘casual player’?

4-5 hours in a weekend plus a few hours during the week seems about what I can do when work picks up. Is that casual or below casual?

Should casuals have a fair chance to get one holiday event reward and hardcore players able to get ’em all – or should hardcore players be able to obtain only one item?

Seems they have made a choice in this that the high end rewards are only for the hardcore, I just wish I did not have to be teased by it (like you have to buy something from the gem store that lets you access the reward merchant).