in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lilius.9850

Lilius.9850

Just got a Early 2013 Macbook pro /r
-core i7 2.4Ghz
-8GB 1600MHz Ram
-Nvidia GT 650m
-Samsung SSD

Playing on medium is so beautiful So many colors that I never got to see on low settings

Upgraded from a 2012 HP Envy 15
-Core i5
-6GB 1333MHz Ram
-Radeon 7750
-SSHD

Never knew GW2 was so beautiful :)

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

The graphics are just awesome when you turn on high settings…

Unfortunately I myself play on low settings so I can’t experience it. When I was at a friends house we played it on high res and I was like WTF this is a different game!!

Too bad I can’t buy a better computer.

Lilius.9850

The graphics are just awesome when you turn on high settings…

Unfortunately I myself play on low settings so I can’t experience it. When I was at a friends house we played it on high res and I was like WTF this is a different game!!

Too bad I can’t buy a better computer.

Lol yeah I was totally like WTF IS THIS GAME OMG

Posted by: Baels.3469

Baels.3469

Lel. Go ultra with supersampling.

Blackgate
[MERC] – Oceanic

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Graphics are good only if you compare it to other MMOs.

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

The gpu prob bottlenecked you. An i5 is fine for gw2 at a decent clock.

Ranger | Elementalist

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Wait till you do the Risen Priestess of Dwayna.

The colours… oh the colours…

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Well. GPU only bottlenecks to a point. I have a GTX 670 and turning down the graphics settings barely does anything at all – but overclocking my i7 920 increased framerate in nearly direct proportion to clock speed…

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

i’m on a first gen i7 (Nehalem or whatever the codename was), with 6gb of ram and a GTX295 gpu. i also run the game under WINE, since i’m on linux (Fedora 20). my default resolution is 1680×1050.

barring the times when the game crawls into a stop for no apparent reason*, i can play at max settings (culling set at lowest though) with no problem, getting 20-35fps. it’s not perfect, but i get the same fps even if i play on lowest settings… and i prefer to experience the game in all its beauty

*to anyone saying that WINE/Linux may be the reason, i can play StarCraft 2 at max settings without an issue and at some point i had a bug that got 300+ Marauders on screen with very little slow down (the train heist mission)

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Ahahah, I’ve played on low settings forever cause I appreciate having a portable device > very light laptop and I just don’t have a clue what I should get for gaming anyways ^^.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

GW2 is very beautiful indeed, I am amazed by it everyday
that might be why I have 4 full ss folders…

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Wait till you do the Risen Priestess of Dwayna.

The colours… oh the colours…

Haven’t seen that recently. Maybe there wasn’t enough people around or people using the set of skills.

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

I have an i5-3450 and an HD 6870 and I play on the highest settings and get 50-60 fps in most places.

How were you NOT able to play on even medium before ? O___o

I’m guessing that Envy was a laptop ? (I don’t know anything about laptop models any more since I’ve stopped using them) I guess a laptop i5 would be a significant downgrade from the desktop counterpart – and the “7750” would be weaker if it was an “M” designation for a laptop, but it still doesn’t look bleak enough to not have even been able to play on medium settings. I mean, I initially played GW2 on a MUCH worse laptop while I was building my desktop and it still played it on lowest reasonably enough – and that laptop was so much worse than what you had !

I highly encourage anyone who wants to play decent-looking games for cheap to build a desktop if you can. I spent less than a low-end laptop to build mine and the upgrade potential means that it won’t be entirely junked when it starts to fail me.

Lilius.9850

I have an i5-3450 and an HD 6870 and I play on the highest settings and get 50-60 fps in most places.

How were you NOT able to play on even medium before ? O___o

I’m guessing that Envy was a laptop ? (I don’t know anything about laptop models any more since I’ve stopped using them) I guess a laptop i5 would be a significant downgrade from the desktop counterpart – and the “7750” would be weaker if it was an “M” designation for a laptop, but it still doesn’t look bleak enough to not have even been able to play on medium settings. I mean, I initially played GW2 on a MUCH worse laptop while I was building my desktop and it still played it on lowest reasonably enough – and that laptop was so much worse than what you had !

I highly encourage anyone who wants to play decent-looking games for cheap to build a desktop if you can. I spent less than a low-end laptop to build mine and the upgrade potential means that it won’t be entirely junked when it starts to fail me.

The Radeon HD 7750m is like only 10% worse than the Nvidia GT 650m.

I think it was my CPU (i5) that was being bottlenecked

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

You have to take into account that it’s a mobile i5 you’re talking about, though. The mobile i7 that actually has 4 cores (some don’t) is basically like the desktop i5. When I think of “an i5” I think of the desktop version – because for video games and computers in general the unfortunate truth is that the desktop hardware is the “standard” and the mobile versions are less powerful and watered-down in comparison (for unavoidable reasons, although they could market things with more clarity – though I guess the hype is what sells to people who don’t know very much about the hardware*).

I’m just saying this so that people who are buying a new system or thinking about it can be aware – so that they too can buy or build a system that gives them that “wow” experience.

When it comes to a laptop a QM i7 is probably the only way to go for video games that you don’t want to play on lower settings.

*I’m thinking of a person buying a laptop with an i7 “because it’s better because it has a bigger number in the name” and things like that.

Posted by: avauntzero.9160

avauntzero.9160

I’m using 3gb of ram with a 2.1ghz AMD =(
I too long for the day when I can really play this game.

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

I’m playing at max settings all the time. I feel so lucky now.

GW2 is very beautiful indeed, I am amazed by it everyday
that might be why I have 4 full ss folders…

I’ve got 126. I’m kinda crazy when it comes to that, though. ^^

Posted by: Amiron.1067

Amiron.1067

Beautiful game indeed! Pro tips for great performance without major hits to the beauty:

-Turn reflections to terrain & sky. The “All” setting is super taxing.
-Turn Shadows to High.
-Leave Rendering on Native.

These three settings are the most taxing for me, and putting them on these settings helps my fps significantly while still retaining an absolutely beautiful game.

Posted by: Henri Blanche.8276

Henri Blanche.8276

I play the game with nearly max settings in WQHD resolution (2560×1440). When a friend of mine who plays GW2 came by and saw how the game looked on my system he was flabbergasted. And yes, although other games look better, GW2 is top-notch for an MMO.